PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Luffy's haki specialty

undertoe
August 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
It's pretty clear that Luffy is going to end up mastering one kind of haki, but we can't know for sure which one. The obvious choice seems to be the king's haki, but I think he'll actually end up mastering the armor haki.

My main reason for this is that when Luffy inevitably fights Akainu, I'm sure Akainu will make a comment about Ace just before he tries to kill Luffy in a similar fashion. The rage Luffy gets from this will rejuvenate him, and his armor haki will protect him from the strike before he delivers the finishing blow to Akainu, showing for certain that Luffy has surpassed his brother in strength and avenged his death.

kkck
August 26, 2010, 12:39 PM
I think luffy will progressively master all colors of haki. He kinda needs all of them. I do think he will focus of the armor thing for the most part. That is the one that has the most applications. Of course, if kings haki turns out to be vaguely useful (since it's only purpose so far is to knock out people who'd even ussop or nami could give the fodder treatment) he'll master that.

igotthegoods
August 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
I agree with kkck. Luffy will master all forms of haki, but will ultimately excel with the 'conqueror' type. This type of haki doesn't seem all that useful to me yet, true, but I have faith that Oda has some creative way that will make it the most useful of them all. It is the most rare type, the most difficult to control, and can only be strengthened through personal growth rather than training. These things all practically scream for our shounen protagonist to show the most skill with it, imo.

Deo_df
August 29, 2010, 05:25 AM
Colour of Armament seems very interesting. If you can protect your body from a sword touching it like a force field, could you not protect your whole body from water touching it? Wouldnt that mean Luffy could learn to swim like Rayleigh. Id bet a dollar Rayleigh is a fruit user and yet he swam to the middle of the calm belt to "collect" Luffy. I cant wait to see their first arc together when they are uber and kick arse, before being brought back to earth again.

Cizuz
August 29, 2010, 09:15 AM
Colour of Armament seems very interesting. If you can protect your body from a sword touching it like a force field, could you not protect your whole body from water touching it? Wouldnt that mean Luffy could learn to swim like Rayleigh. Id bet a dollar Rayleigh is a fruit user and yet he swam to the middle of the calm belt to "collect" Luffy. I cant wait to see their first arc together when they are uber and kick arse, before being brought back to earth again.

No, because the armor only effect devil fruit user and physical abilities, being submerged in water causes not only disabling of the devil fruit but draining of the physical bodys strength really quickly. Would take the ability of haki away as well.

kkck
August 29, 2010, 10:12 AM
I don't think water would have any effect on haki but I don't think haki could be used for a fruit user to swim.

tret16
August 29, 2010, 04:27 PM
well actualy i believe that luffy has already shown what he's goin to excel in... And also concidering Oda and how he makes the story go with all his twist and everything of the like, i don't think that it's goin to be the color of armament that he get's better at... The reason for this is this page right here, http://www.mangareader.net/103-36562-6/one-piece/chapter-561.html . As you see, luffy has already used the color of observation, so i believe that he will excel in color of conquerer and color of observation and he will have a decent control over color of armament.

Fox666
August 29, 2010, 08:28 PM
While you can use all types, you are better on one type. Skypeia priests are best on Color of Observation, Shanks is best on Color of Conqueror, Sentoumaru is best on color of Armaments.

It's like how Naruto is of the Wind Chakra type, or Gon (Hunter x Hunter) is of the Intensification Nem type.

tret16
August 29, 2010, 10:13 PM
ya but you can't realy say that shankz is good at conqueror since we really haven't been told that's what he used... he never actually used it the same way that rayleigh has so it's not one hundred percent... and for whoever leans toward the others, Rayleigh said that only applied to the two first haki's (color of observation and color of armament.) it doesn't apply to color of conquerer...

Deo_df
August 29, 2010, 10:31 PM
Perhaps the 3 share a paper, scissors rock relationship? Colour of observation > colour of armament (ie it doesn't matter how powerful your blows are if you can hit your opponent), colour of conquerer > colour of observation (ie if you can't concentrate coz the other guy is too scary you cant predict there moves), colour of armament > colour of conquerer (ie if you can put up a defence that cant be penetrated then the intimidation has no effect?). In that case luffy will b best at the observation as it seems the most useful as the colour of the conquerer is so rare. Just a thought...

ScratchmenApoo
August 30, 2010, 03:00 AM
The King's Haki is the only one that can't be trained. And since One Piece is a Shounen, it's more likely that the main character will get to focus on the rarest and hardest type of the Hakis.
Obviously this will not become his main use of Haki after the supposed 2 year timeskip straight away, but rather towards the end of the storyline. Rayleigh himself said for the Hakis that this short time will have to do, but that's not enough.

Considering the story will have no more bigger timeskips later on and Luffy stays 19 years old (?) then it is still amazing for him to use it well enough, assuming that Rayleigh and Gol D. Roger were really old when they could use it properly (or as Shanks is now).

However, since Luffy's style is to charge head on, and the best defense is a good offense (like the explanation of the Color of Armament), he will probably not give the enemy a chance to attack and go straight in for the attacks himself.

Vetinari clone
September 03, 2010, 12:13 AM
Rayleigh said that people tend to be better at one use of haki than the others, what kind do you think Luffy will be best at and why?

Also, if you could chose which kind he would be best at, which would you chose and why?

I think that Luffy will probably be best at COC simply because he is going to be the pirate king and having almighty abilities with COC fits in with that position.

If I got to chose which he would be best at it, it would have to be COO. I really like that ability also I like Luffy's fighting when he is using his amazing agility to dodge his opponents rather than going at the head on like in a couple of his more blah fights.

kkck
September 03, 2010, 09:53 AM
I think luffy will be best at armor haki and worst at color haki. He'll be ok or very good for conqueror's haki. Even if conqueror's haki is a one in a million thing, I don't think it is all that usefull, specially against strong enemies (at least given what we have seen, oda could still make it so that conqueror's haki becomes extremely useful). I get the impression conqueror's haki is more of a plot device to showcase people who are meant to be exceptional rather than this almighty tool which results in hax. Armor haki by far the most useful of the 3 so far and it fits luffy's fighting stile perfectly. Not to mention armor haki is exactly what he needs to fight those logia around and other DF users. It is far too vital.

Poneglyph420
September 03, 2010, 12:58 PM
ya but you can't realy say that shankz is good at conqueror since we really haven't been told that's what he used... he never actually used it the same way that rayleigh has so it's not one hundred percent... and for whoever leans toward the others, Rayleigh said that only applied to the two first haki's (color of observation and color of armament.) it doesn't apply to color of conquerer...

http://www.cloudmanga.com/One_Piece/570/#3

That's where WB's Crewmate says clearly Shanks has Haoushoku Haki. So we kinda do know, Shanks had and likely used it on WB's ship..
Here: http://www.cloudmanga.com/One_Piece/434/#5
But like you say.. Haoushoku Haki is not a trainable technique...
So not like you can "level up in Haoushoku Haki" LMFAO!!!
But if anyone will be strongest in "Color of the Conqueror" it's Luffy IMO..

But like many others have mentioned, over time I expect Luffy to be nasty at using all 3.

kkck
September 03, 2010, 04:43 PM
I don't honestly expect luffy to be very adept at color haki. Color haki is one of analysis, take a careful look around and observe at a higher level. Luffy can't even focus when using his ordinary 5 senses, I don't think color haki would fit him at all.

damane08
September 03, 2010, 05:07 PM
Luffy will be good at all types of haki (as many have said before) close to the end of the manga Luffy should be able to knock out more powerful guys with the "colour of the Conquerer" haki, but that's later in the manga since it can't be trained and all.

People who say that Luffy will be really good at the "Colour of Observation" and actually use that much in battle, i have this to say; do we know the same Luffy?

I can see him learning it but I don't see him implementing it into his fighting style that much and don't expect him to be the strongest at it either, Enel already sits on that throne and I don't see anyone taking him off of it, considering that the "Colour of Observation" was enhanced by his DF.

The haki that suits Luffy the best is the "Colour of Armaments," it works perfectly with his fighting style. He NEEDS to be great at this form of haki if he is to demolish some of the guys out there (both pirate and marine alike)

tret16
September 03, 2010, 07:51 PM
There was really no need to say it that way for the people that think that luffy will be good at color of observation... The reason i think that is for the fact that Luffy has already showed a talent for this Color, it's a fact that he's already used color of Observation and he has yet to use Color of armament. So maybe your the one that doesn't know the same Luffy as everyone else... If you would like i could even show you proof of him using said Color of Observation.

kkck
September 03, 2010, 08:22 PM
When has luffy used observation haki?

tret16
September 03, 2010, 08:52 PM
http://img1.mangareader.net/manga/one-piece/896877_e.jpg

As you can see luffy unknowingly used Color of observation. he was about to attack mihawk and just before Mihawk WOULD have cut Luffy's arm off, Luffy forsaw it with color of observation and stopped his attack in mid stride.

kkck
September 03, 2010, 11:12 PM
http://img1.mangareader.net/manga/one-piece/896877_e.jpg

As you can see luffy unknowingly used Color of observation. he was about to attack mihawk and just before Mihawk WOULD have cut Luffy's arm off, Luffy forsaw it with color of observation and stopped his attack in mid stride.

I am not quite sure that'd be observation haki. It could just as easily be a surge of common sense (like, don't attack the dude who rivaled a yonko). Luffy kinda knew he was way out of his league against mihawk, it is not that hard to foresee mihawk could easily read his attack and cut of his sole bodypart that was about to get close to mihawk. Then again, you could be right though.

El-Thor
September 04, 2010, 02:20 AM
Luffy will be proficient in Color or Armament and Conqueror and will suck at Color of Observation.
He will focus on the offensive aspect of Armament and eventually learn to hit Logias. Of course it won't be that simple and Luffy will have to find ingenious ways to defeat his opponents. It won't be much fun if he can straight up hit everyone -_-

tret16
September 04, 2010, 10:20 AM
i have no dought that he will learn color of Armament, but i don't think it will be anything major with it for a long time. I think he will only learn enough of it at first so that he's able to hit logia types and then improve on it after that. I still think it was obsevation, Oda just wouldn't show it like that if it didn't have a special meaning behind it. If it was instinct or any other things then i don't think that he would have actually shown his arm getting cut off, i mean i'm sure that luffy has used his instincts before and nothing like that was shown before, just that one time it was shown like that... Once it's near the end of the the manga i have no dought though that he's goin to be strong in all three...

kkck
September 04, 2010, 10:38 AM
Luffy(and any other shounen character in mangaverse) being completely proficient at observation haki would not make much sense, it just does not seem to fit his character to bother to pay much attention. Perhaps luffy felt mihawks murdering intent rather than using observation haki. Feeling murdering intent is something even the lowliest of cannon fodder can do in OP world considering what happened between zoro and the bounty hunters.

tret16
September 04, 2010, 12:01 PM
hhhmmm, sensing killer intent makes more sense to me the simply instinct... It seems that swordsmen have alot of killer intent afterall, since it seems Zoro has alot of it himself. I'd be more inclined to believe killer intent as aposed to Instinct. And i'm not really saying that Luffy seems more suitable to Color of Observation, i infact agree with everyone when they say that his personality suits Color of armament better but Oda has been known to throw in some curve balls, and as good of arguement you put up about it beng killer intent that tipped luffy off, the way Oda showed it just makes me still believe that it was Color of observation... I don't know why, but i just see it since it would really help him protect his friends since he would be able to see attacks ahead of time... And we all know how much his crew means to him.

kebuenowilly
September 06, 2010, 12:57 AM
mmm but what are the features of "Color of Conqueror". I think are not just knocking down enemies, but also boost your own allies spirit. Since COC allows to intimidate, I think it's logical to asume it also allows to encourage.

So I think from now on battles will be much more epic, with all the SH fighting at the limit!

tret16
September 06, 2010, 01:20 PM
well when it comes to COC, the stronger your spirit, the stronger the effect of it. So if Luffy gets a real strong spirit he could even take out stronger openents. As for the boosting allies spirit, it's deffinitly something to think about, but it just doesn't seem like that big of a advantage... Especially since the strawhats don't alway's fight in the same area. I mean look at Ennies lobby, they were all fighting in different location, especially luffy who alwy's seems to be alone... The only time i remember them fighting together was on SA

chess4
September 06, 2010, 02:07 PM
i think luffy will develop all 3 to such a high level that it will give him a new ability. thats probably what happen to roger and how he was able to hear the voilce of all things

k-dom
September 06, 2010, 02:45 PM
Well I think that unlike Kenichi, Luffy will be exceptionaly good in both types. I do not treat the conqueror haki like the other 2 since he seems very particular. It seems to have used the color of observation already once does it mean that he has more facility toward that type ? Luffy has always shown great talent in analysing his opponents and finding a way to win his battle. Also if we understand Roger to hear all things as this type of haki it is one worthy of the pirate king.

tret16
September 06, 2010, 04:05 PM
i like the idea of having all three at a very high level to the point it grants a new ability... hopefully that happens.

Lord Rayleigh
September 07, 2010, 11:43 AM
I think it would be better for Luffy to be good at Kenbunshoku Haki than in Busōshoku Haki. To me, when you're really good at Busōshoku Haki, you can do special Busōshoku Haki attacks with your armor such as Sengoku's shockwaves for example. So even if Luffy doesn't know how to make the best use of his armor, he will still be able to hit the real body of DF users and that's what matters. He will continue fighting with his Gomu Gomu technics with " imbued " Haki and not with Haki attacks like Sentoumarou's, and that's what I want to see of our future Pirate King.

On the other hand, with an awesome Kenbunshoku Haki, Luffy will be able to predict anything and it will be useful as he is a close fighter and normally doesn't have a lot of time to avoid any attack. I think that it will be very important when he will fight against badass people. After all, some (unknown) characters' attacks can probably kill Luffy in one shot, so Luffy must avoid them at all cost. Plus, if Roger's ability to hear the voice of all things is Kenbunshoku Haki, then let Luffy masters this Haki and shows us what it can do.

kkck
September 07, 2010, 11:54 AM
I wonder if the whole prediction thing would work as well as you mention though. Luffy won't be the only one out there with color of observation out there. In that sense, predicting moves won't be something as useful as it would seem, specially if haki is nearly as standard as it would appear to be in the NW. Haki allows you to predict the opponents immediate next move, which is great, but if the enemy if also capable of that then the whole thing would cancel itself out.

Vetinari clone
September 07, 2010, 03:33 PM
I wonder if the whole prediction thing would work as well as you mention though. Luffy won't be the only one out there with color of observation out there. In that sense, predicting moves won't be something as useful as it would seem, specially if haki is nearly as standard as it would appear to be in the NW. Haki allows you to predict the opponents immediate next move, which is great, but if the enemy if also capable of that then the whole thing would cancel itself out.

From what I can tell haki only lets you tell what the opponent is going to do after he has already decided to do it, it doesn't let you tell the future. When two people are both using COO it all simply comes down to skill, who will be better at avoiding the attacks. even if person A sees what person B is going to do in response to A's attack and changes his attack because of that person B will know as soon as A starts to change the attack and can act accordingly, so it all come down to the skill of the two people. However what the COO will do is make it so some fruit user can't walk up to Luffy and kill him using his DF power because Luffy will know what he is about to do. Also I would imagine that the better you are at COO the sooner you can tell what the opponent is going to do, that would give you a real edge. There is also the possibility that COO would better allow luffy to learn the techniques that others use, like with soru, and that could come in handy.

sharingan_kakashi
September 10, 2010, 10:36 AM
I think it would be better for Luffy to be good at Kenbunshoku Haki than in Busōshoku Haki. To me, when you're really good at Busōshoku Haki, you can do special Busōshoku Haki attacks with your armor such as Sengoku's shockwaves for example. So even if Luffy doesn't know how to make the best use of his armor, he will still be able to hit the real body of DF users and that's what matters. He will continue fighting with his Gomu Gomu technics with " imbued " Haki and not with Haki attacks like Sentoumarou's, and that's what I want to see of our future Pirate King.

On the other hand, with an awesome Kenbunshoku Haki, Luffy will be able to predict anything and it will be useful as he is a close fighter and normally doesn't have a lot of time to avoid any attack. I think that it will be very important when he will fight against badass people. After all, some (unknown) characters' attacks can probably kill Luffy in one shot, so Luffy must avoid them at all cost. Plus, if Roger's ability to hear the voice of all things is Kenbunshoku Haki, then let Luffy masters this Haki and shows us what it can do.

This is exacly the reason why i want Luffy to learn both. I mean its shonen so he should be able t learn this even though he is dumber than a sack of potatoes. B haki (armament) is for offence and K haki (observation) is defence (so BB prolly did not learn K haki, or is too slow to evade.

H haki (conqueror) on the other hand cannot be a true specialty since he cannot train or improve it through training. Only thing he can do is control it. The way shanks used it was very cool and epic but i dont think Luffy can do it in 2 years.

Uriel
September 10, 2010, 01:47 PM
2 years or not, He WILL be the Pirate King. So I bet He learn the two just well enough.

Skyrius
September 16, 2010, 01:29 AM
Hm, I was rereading and I noticed something interesting on this (http://www.mangareader.net/103-40169-9/one-piece/chapter-564.html) page and this (http://www.mangareader.net/103-40169-10/one-piece/chapter-564.html) page.

The implication seems to be that the Admirals have done something to protect the platform, which I'm now assuming is some form of the Color of Armament. If it can be extended for a certain radius around the user, I can see that as being something useful for Luffy to learn as well.

Deo_df
September 16, 2010, 01:34 AM
If the admirals can use haki that well they will be crazy hard to beat! Luffy will not only have to catch them but exceed them, now thats scary!

kkck
September 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
If the admirals can use haki that well they will be crazy hard to beat! Luffy will not only have to catch them but exceed them, now thats scary!
It was already stated all VA class marines can use haki. In that sense, the most logical conclusion is that the admirals are very proficient haki users and they indeed used the color of armament to protect the platform.

Kaizoku-O Luffy
September 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
He'll master conquerer which i believe there is more to than just what reyleigh said like knocking of people.

And he'll be very good at armenents since he'll be fighting strong DF users thus it will needed also he'll need it for his fight against smoker and akainu as well not sure about aokiji and also needed for his fight against BB.

As for observation he can use it but don't think it will be good as the other 2 though. We have seen him use it couple of times but he'll use it when necessary. How effectively he can use is remains to be seen.

Lord.Strife
September 27, 2010, 07:24 AM
He'll master conquerer which i believe there is more to than just what reyleigh said like knocking of people.

And he'll be very good at armenents since he'll be fighting strong DF users thus it will needed also he'll need it for his fight against smoker and akainu as well not sure about aokiji and also needed for his fight against BB.

As for observation he can use it but don't think it will be good as the other 2 though. We have seen him use it couple of times but he'll use it when necessary. How effectively he can use is remains to be seen.

Maybe luffy COA will be so strong that he coats himself at all time so he only needs to use COO when there is an opponent who is strong enough to break the defence.

daman246
September 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
luffy will probably have the basics of all the haki and 3 of the strawhat will have 1 and the otehrs will have none

Wrath
October 03, 2010, 02:38 PM
When Rayleigh says that you can't train Conqueror Haki, what he actually means is that unlike Observation and Armament Haki it can't be strengthened through "exercise". The other two are like muscles - by using a muscle you can make it stronger - but the strength of Conqueror Haki is determined solely by the user's spirit/willpower/etc.

It doesn't mean at all that you can't become better at using or controlling it, or that you can't develop special techniques based on it.

Jorge D. Dragon
October 05, 2010, 02:48 PM
I think that he would be practically equal in every type of Haki, being a bit better in Color of the conqueror.
In future I expect that his COC will be like Shanks's or even more powerful. Also he would add COA to his rubber attacks.:)

p1xel
October 08, 2010, 12:09 PM
First i thought that he will be best in 3rd type,but now i think he will be best in avoiding and predicting.It seems that he is good at both though...