PDA

View Full Version : Theory the Strawhats should get fodder crew members

chrizzl
September 07, 2010, 03:32 PM
i have been thinking of this for a long time now especially since the flying fish gang started looking after the sunny go
i feel that they should get some ''fodder'' crew members to look after there ship as they go on all these eventures especially as they are going to enter the new world
the only 'fodder' members that i could really think of them getting was the 2 bounty hunters from the arlong arc as i found they added just a little more humour as they were weak and lost most battles (although this alone beats the point of them trying to defend the ship in the first place) but i felt they made very good background charaters but im not saying these alone but more of these type of charaters
i just wanna see what other people think on this subject

JA1024
September 07, 2010, 04:06 PM
I dont see the Strawhats getting fodder members because:

1) It would be a pain for Oda to draw them on a consistent basis

2) The Strawhats are rather an inexperienced crew so it would be a disadvantage to them, but i could see them having fodder members lets say 20 years into their journey

Kaiten
September 08, 2010, 07:02 PM
That would be awesome! They could be like the guys with the red uniforms in Star Trek, unnamed and killed on each mission. The Cyborg Gorillas from Baldimore would make epic fodder.

Poneglyph420
September 10, 2010, 01:33 AM
I can see the SH having "allied" crews, but not fodder. I'd find Oda and kick him in the shins if that happens....

But since I severely doubt that ever happening... all good.

Organizized
September 10, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'll bite.

The main reason (for me) the Straw Hats won't get fodder members is that it's impossible for them to do so. If Luffy lets a new member join, he treats him like his nakama, just as much as every other member of the crew. And since we're following the story of Luffy and his nakama, Oda would have to give this new character as much screen time (panel time... whatever) as the rest of the crew. There's just no such thing as a 'fodder member' of the Straw Hat Crew.

However, like JA1024 said: if at the end of One Piece the crew is still going and we get to see a flashforward into the future like 20 years, then maybe Luffy has built up more of a crew like Shanks' or Whitebeard's with fodder members. Just not in the current storyline.

frontaLobotomy
September 10, 2010, 09:31 AM
They get fodder characters in pretty much every arc, namely the people they're helping out, be it indirectly or otherwise. The Lola Pirates and Franky Family being noteable examples.

Uriel
September 10, 2010, 01:39 PM
Franky is at Vegapunk island...Do you honestly think that they will EVER need fodders?