PDA

View Full Version : Predictions Will there be a gear 4

thayboyray
September 21, 2010, 10:41 AM
I don't know if anyone did this topic yet but I was just wondering do you guys think luffy will develop a gear for while on the island for 2 years and if so what do you think it will be me I think there will be one I just have no idea what it will be since we really only the the basics of haki the possibilities or almost endless

Cizuz
September 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think there needs to be one, and possible using gear 2 and 3 in conjunction fully with no exhausten to his body may be considered a gear 4. However I digress, since I can not think of any other variations he may be able to perform with his rubber body. He makes his body huge and hard, gear third. He makes his body super elastic and fast, gear second. He needs strong armour against enemies while not using gear third? I guess colour of armor haki. Oda is going somewhere with haki, where and what he will be doing with it is a mystery for now. We know what haki does, not what it is.

I think the only thing luffy can expand on is actual expansion of specific body parts. Sort of like Fusann, but like organs and bones without needing air.

Zmsp
September 21, 2010, 04:53 PM
I believe that if a gear fourth is trully out there,it wont be related to haki,haki does not grant any abnormal physical aspect,it surrounds,as explained,the body in one's materialized will,or something of that sort,so I dont think haki will directly take part in a new gear other than to maximize it's effect, the principle behind it will rest on the rubber itself other than haki.

I mean, most people say they can't think of a new gear, that's only because they're not willing to put a stain on such creative gears that Oda made,but the possibilities are, indeed, endless. Nobody would think of gear 2,it's something completely out of the box, for a fourth gear Oda could invest on a million different aspects of rubber and make something remotely plausible, the possibility rests only on Oda's predisposition to continue the gears,or move on to a new set of techniques that are not directly related to the fruit itself.

Da Z

Bugzee
September 21, 2010, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't want to see a "gear 4" tbh. I would much prefer Luffy creating something bigger and better than Gear Third but naming it differently. ;)

Gear 1, 2 and 3. Cool. Gear 4 in the series. Doesn't feel right to me.

kkck
September 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
I'd like to see an improved gear 3 too. Imagine luffy not having to move air around his body but rather sucks in so much of it he turns into a giant. It'd be a tad too much like sengoku's own ability though even if the principle behind it is different.

jacke12
September 22, 2010, 09:54 AM
I think he will develop gear 3 in more powerfull like kkck said would be could be cool to see "Gear 3 Giant Luffy"

beastboy
September 22, 2010, 11:14 AM
I think there will be gear 4, but it will be so "imaginative" that there will be no way of not liking it!

daman246
September 22, 2010, 11:42 AM
gear 3 has alot of flaws super strenght but slow speed and side effects are high
i would like to see luffy develop a gear that puts gear 2 and 3 togehter without having him turning big like adding big muscle and speed at the same time

p1xel
September 22, 2010, 03:25 PM
Lol,i wish gear 4 would be connected to idiot mode that he used against Enel.Impossible to hit and ultimate power plus idiot face-epic win.

Deo_df
September 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
Nightmare Luffy = gear 4th, fast & powerful, a combination of gear 2nd & gear 3rd... How big was nightmare luffy? Was he whitebeards size or was he the size of a normal giant?

hiper05
September 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
I agree with Deo_df that Nightmare luffy might become luffy's gear 4, which would be the size of whitebeard and still maintain regular speed.

Bugzee
September 23, 2010, 01:43 PM
How will Luffy use "Gear 4" aka "Nightmare Luffy" in the future? Gecko's the one who has the shadow ability, how will Luffy absorb shadows in the future during a fight? It's not like the SH's will go running around searching for them either.

I'm looking forward to new techniques and names for Luffy's attacks tbh. I don't want all the powerful attacks going under the "Gear" series. :p

kkck
September 23, 2010, 03:10 PM
It's not even possible for luffy to use his nightmare form though. First of all, he lacks 100 strong shadows. For another, gecko moria is unlikely to join his crew or help him. If moria is involved in an arc I guess it could happen but it won't be something luffy could use regularly so as to call it gear 4. Above that, nightmare luffy is by no means a combination of gear 2 and 3 as someone mentioned before.

thayboyray
September 23, 2010, 04:37 PM
I don’t think that gear 4 would be a combination of gear 3 and 4 that wouldn't be creative enough i agree with zmsp where i think that the only person that can come up with a perfect gear 4 is the brilliant mind of the person that came up with such a brilliant character like luffy and that is pda plus luffy will already be bigger because he is 2 years older and in one piece the older you are the bigger you are

Bugzee
September 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
Well in the past, the rest of the SH's have outlined on more then one occasion the health risks of the gear 2 and 3. So...after this timeskip (and training)...maybe Luffy will rely less on them and use haki more?

I'm sure they'll be several more gomu gomu attacks/techiques in the future. Gear 3 imho will be the last in the "Gear" series.

Deo_df
September 23, 2010, 08:58 PM
You misunderstood...I realise Nightmare Luffy was a one off and the circumstances cannot be repeated. However I do believe Luffy can use gear 3 to make himself the same size that he was when he was Nightmare Luffy, which was about the size of Moria (whom is a large human at 6.92m but only about a third of the height of a giant, who is about a third of the size of Oars!). If Luffy becomes Morias size by evenly distributing air throughout his body, and then uses Gear 2nd, if you incorporate his increased fighting ability from training with Rayleigh, Luffy will then be on par with the one off Nightmare Luffy, only not blue...

Just a side note, it was said when Luffy was infused with 100 shadows that his will power (seems like haki to me) is what allowed him to contain that amount of shadows without passing out, perhaps it will be his haki that is the key to allowing him to expand into giant form, though that is assuming he actually makes gear 4th. Perhaps Oda drives an automatic, in that case he wouldnt see the need for 4th, 5th and possibly 6th gear?

kkck
September 23, 2010, 09:48 PM
Perhaps luffy will figure out a way to use haki rather than his own energy for gear 2? That would lighten the burden on his body. gear 3 is bound to be epic once haki is added I can't wait for that.

BlackSword
September 27, 2010, 08:01 PM
I never really liked g3 I've always been a fan of Speed over Power. I think Luffy could have a problem landing a g3 attack against anyone who is smart enough to move. Rob Lucci tried to take the hit with Tekkai. Shiki was stupid and thought he was being electrocuted... And Moria was fat and slow. Anyone with decent speed could dodge g3 imo.
Say Luffy punched something then at the same time stretched his 'elbow backward' and used the force generated by his elbows recoil to increase the damage of his punch? That would be bad ass. :p

BigCamaro
September 27, 2010, 09:54 PM
Im sure he'll pull gear 4 at some point. Maybe even 5. He'll show us gear 2 and 3 again at some point, then when we think he's defeated, he'll whip it out.

DEATHBOTT
September 27, 2010, 10:01 PM
he will probably just add 2 and 3 together.

bopnoh10
September 27, 2010, 11:14 PM
He has already added 2 and 3 together.

IMO, there SHOULD be a gear 3rd, but I don't think we'll see it any time soon (or Oda abstains from creating it). In consideration of the malleable qualities of rubber, one possibility is that Luffy could generate a 4th gear by using a super version of gear 2. He can super heat his body and produce a hardened shell (rubber and other polymers are hardened to make tires and extremely strong plastics) that can add a lot of power and strength to his moves.

DEATHBOTT
September 28, 2010, 12:31 AM

IMO, there SHOULD be a gear 3rd, but I don't think we'll see it any time soon (or Oda abstains from creating it). In consideration of the malleable qualities of rubber, one possibility is that Luffy could generate a 4th gear by using a super version of gear 2. He can super heat his body and produce a hardened shell (rubber and other polymers are hardened to make tires and extremely strong plastics) that can add a lot of power and strength to his moves.

when did he do that?

and he already has a gear 3rd.

thayboyray
September 28, 2010, 03:41 PM

That's a nice theory i was thinking about something along the lines of plastic to but i never thought to add speed to it

JetPistol
September 28, 2010, 03:54 PM
yeah and then we can have super saiyan 5 errr i mean gear 5 too >_>

kkck
September 28, 2010, 07:02 PM
I would not be surprised if luffy outright stops using gear 2 though. He has been training for 2 years and gear 2 causes to much damage to his body. Gear 3 does not seem to be nearly as damaging so I don't see why he wouldn't keep that.

Lord.Strife
September 29, 2010, 07:23 AM
I think that he would have strengthened his body to be able to withstand gear 2 if thats possible.

I would like to see gear three with air distributed around the body while being in gear 2.

LOL every awesome manga character need real physical transformation of some sort

kkck
September 29, 2010, 02:25 PM
I was under the understanding that gear 2 invariably pushed luffy's body beyond its limits. If that is the case then regardless of how strong luffy gets gear 2 would still harm him right? Perhaps he could learn how to control the blood flow to so that he could become stronger without pushing his body so far.

Lord.Strife
September 29, 2010, 10:15 PM
I was under the understanding that gear 2 invariably pushed luffy's body beyond its limits. If that is the case then regardless of how strong luffy gets gear 2 would still harm him right? Perhaps he could learn how to control the blood flow to so that he could become stronger without pushing his body so far.

Unless gear 2 was pushing luffy beyond his body limits at the time when it was stated. I can't see why you can't stregthen you whole body to withstand the technique. It one piece after all anything can happen.

BlackSword
October 01, 2010, 08:02 AM
I really don't think we will be seeing gear to much in the future... Gear 2 Shortens his lifespan each time he uses it. (how much has not been stated) I believe during his time on the island he has probably developed a new method of increasing his speed & physical strength beyond what gear 2 & 3 were capable of. However we will probably see gear 3 again occasionally but the shrinking side effects make it unlikely for him to use it often.
Luffy learned COA haki which can surround the entire body and work as armor... Why would he need to harden himself to plastic...
As for there being a gear 4 possibly but tbh Luffy + All 3 Haki's is going to be pretty freakin dangerous... If he found a way to move himself at super-human speed (Soro level or beyond. Without damaging his body the gears may disappear completely.) And the likeliness that his already super-human physical strength has increased is high...

vagabond87
October 01, 2010, 10:32 AM
I hope for Rob Luccis Life Return variation combined with rubber proprieties to be gear 4.
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Life_Return
For Luffy to form his body for speed, strenght or tanking attacks.

Wrath
October 03, 2010, 02:26 PM
The fact that Luffy has now spent six months training on his own makes me hopeful for a Gear 4. I don't think it'll just be the use of Haki, because the Gears are about using his DF power in new ways, but it might made possible by some interaction between Haki and his Devil Fruit. We've seen that before, in Enel's supercharged Mantra and the snake hair techniques of Hancock's sisters.

Darkdrone
October 03, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hopefully rouashiki technique soro replace gear 2. But ya if luffy can learn moves that quickly in Enies lobby he can dwfinitly make gear 4. I wouldn't be suprised if gear 5 isn't ready to be used on marines already.

MCCmonkey
October 03, 2010, 07:16 PM
everyone here saying that gear 2 and 3 are damaging luffy´s body are forgeting one very little detail, chopper! :D, he wants to become the best doctor in the world capable of curing any disease so i dont see why, after the studies he made in that island, wouldnt be able to reverse the damage in luffy´s body, or even create a version of the "rumble ball" to help him

kkck
October 03, 2010, 09:35 PM
How about luffy introducing variations of his gears? It'd be interesting to see luffy using a variation of gear two to speed up his thinking process lol. Luffy would be able to go from having the mental capacity of a very smart chimp or a very stupid person to having the mental capacity of an ordinary human being and actual common sense. Or maybe using gear 3 with water rather than air. There would be more weight behind the hard bones so the attack logically would be much stronger assuming luffy's speed is not all that hampered. Or perhaps doing the opposite of gear 2. He would slow down the flow of blood through his body in order to save energy and make resting more efficient. He could also use it to preserve his life in hostile environments.