PDA

View Full Version : Seinen I Am a Hero by HANAZAWA Kengo

Kaiten
October 05, 2010, 08:23 PM
http://thumbnails9.imagebam.com/10085/98a56f100842862.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/98a56f100842862)

I Am a Hero
By: HANAZAWA Kengo (http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=2273)
Genre: Psychological
Serialized In: Big Comic Spirits
Mangaupdates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=43241)

Hideo Suzuki is a thirty-five year old mangaka assistant struggling to be the hero in his own life by breaking back into the lime light with a new serial all the while juggling his relationship with his girlfriend and his own delusions.

However, as hard as Hideo may try, the world seems to have a different set of plans for him; sinister and dark machinations that completely overturn his reality as he knows it.

Tulkas
December 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hm, what should i say.

First Volume was a little bit boring. First Chapter was brilliant with the last sentence:
'Because i am a Hero'
But after all Suzuki is too normal in my opinion. He has a Girlfriend, a Job and his obsessions aren't that special.

Second Volume is way better and im looking forward how Suzuki is dealing with the situation to be alone.

MattC302
January 17, 2011, 08:47 PM
I just finished the third volume of this manga and I really like it. The first volume was a little slow, but I feel like it was essential and you really get to know Hideo. I am hooked now. I can't wait for more.

Kaiten
January 17, 2011, 10:57 PM
I stalled at volume 1. I kind of got a hint of whats to come but haven't had a chance to read volume 2 and 3 but am starting to think I should read those before I start anything new.

conn-man
January 21, 2011, 12:07 AM
Just read vol 1 today and I thought it was fantastic. Everything in that volume made the intensity of the final scene at the end just so amazing.

Suzuki is a good main character, fun quirks, imaginary friend interaction is really entertaining. I'm really excited to see his transformation as the situation gets bad.

Edit: I just got caught up. I'm not sure how to say it but this manga is intense, genuinely horrifying. The first story to really rattle me, almost everything about it but especially the transformation process. The way they start with uncontrollable hysteria and extreme impulse to kill. It seems like based on what they say once they are transformed shows that they retain some kind of original part of themselves while being locked in an ever increasing state of ferocious insanity. Its a really scary and tragic concept.

While this sounds like I'm saying its bad but I still see it as genius that the author though of and brought this concept to life.

Kaiten
January 26, 2011, 01:44 AM
The end of volume 1 was absolutely insane. I had read the early translations of the first volume, released sporadically. It seemed to be a slow, boring series. Those boring parts made the ending an even bigger shock. If it had been action packed from the start, the actual plot would have been less of a shock and a lot less interesting.

Suzuki is epic. Has there ever been a more cowering, cowardly, unheroic hero in manga history? I bet if there were a zombie invasion most of us would act more like him than the kids from High School of the Dead. I loved the scene where he finally pulled out the shot gun, cocked it, planted his feet and was shown to only be fantasizing :s

I'm dying for volume 4 to come out ^^

naruto-niichan
April 06, 2011, 03:32 PM
Suzuki is epic. Has there ever been a more cowering, cowardly, unheroic hero in manga history? I bet if there were a zombie invasion most of us would act more like him than the kids from High School of the Dead. I loved the scene where he finally pulled out the shot gun, cocked it, planted his feet and was shown to only be fantasizing :s

I'm dying for volume 4 to come out ^^

No :amuse that's one of the big strong points in the manga, it's really refreshing.
I completely agree about the slow start, it made the impact a lot more intense. I was nearly wetting my pants when
Zombie-Tekko was running at Hideo :s
Any info when the 4th volume will be released in english?

Roflkopt3r
April 07, 2011, 01:22 AM
I really need to start with this series, it sounds just too good. Gonna read it right after Adolf!

saladesu
April 07, 2011, 04:13 AM
You do need to read it Rofl! I'm surprised you hadn't already :o

I thought it was pretty awesome! I mean, it starts out really slow, and the only thing keeping me going honestly was Kaiten telling me it was awesome. Anyway, by the end of volume 1 you will probably see why :D

I'm still a little confused as to whether those zombie thingies are just in his head, or if they are real things. There are scenes where it seems like no-one else can see it. Does it mean no-one cares? Or that only he can see it? As it is it appears his gun is just in his head. I loved the scene (Kaiten mentioned it too!) where he cocks his gun, and the next page we see he actually has no gun! That was brilliant!

Kaiten
April 14, 2011, 07:49 PM
You should Rofl! You'd really like it.

Still hard to tell. Hiro is such a nut it is entirely possible that he made up the zombie invasion. Or hallucinated it. I think the Hanazawa is trying to be ambiguous at this point, either way is entirely possible.
[hr]

No :amuse that's one of the big strong points in the manga, it's really refreshing.
I completely agree about the slow start, it made the impact a lot more intense. I was nearly wetting my pants when
Zombie-Tekko was running at Hideo :s
Any info when the 4th volume will be released in english?

Those first scenes of Tekko nearly launched me out of my seat! Completely blindsided me. The other part that really shocked me was when she started chewing on the door. It was awesome when he realized that she was using the last of her free will to make sure she does not turn him into a zombie. Assuming it's really happening.

I'm not sure when more will be scanlated.I Haven't really heard anything.

saladesu
April 14, 2011, 10:44 PM
I would kinda hate if it was just a hallucination, though. I remember back in elementary school when we had to write compositions, teachers always told us never to end with, "I woke up and realized it was just a dream" :XD I think I would feel kinda cheated if it turned out to be just Hiro hallucinating. Of course, with how awesome this has been so far, Hanazawa-sensei may well have something planned that will just blow us away, maybe turn that whole "it was just a hallucination" thing on its head or make it awesome somehow.

naruto-niichan
July 03, 2011, 01:32 PM
Volume 4 is finally scanlated!! (available at JCafe) Thanks Gottheim for the translation and Gantz Waiting Room for the scanlation :super

About the Volume: The story's progressing a bit slow but I still enjoyed it. There were some awesome shots as well, like Hideo hiding behind the tree. And we finally got a name for the infection: ASPD sounds fitting but I can't believe that the government is thinking about a name instead of rushing in the infected areas and save those who can be saved :facepalm (but I guess Hideo hallucinating is now entirely impossible)

I really like the idea of them being not completely mindless. The man just wanting to see the picture of his family(?) was kind of touching :( Didn't see that coming, I was sure he would attack the girl. Still the infected are getting more and more creepy... and damn fast, being able to catch those two guys in a driving car :o
I hope Volume 5 and 6 won't take that long to be scanlated, can't wait to see what happens next.

MattC302
July 03, 2011, 05:18 PM
That was kind of a crazy volume. Those zombies are pretty scarey. They reminded me of Silent Hill a little bit. Hideo got bit by Hayakari in the same place that his girlfriend bit him. I bet he is eventually going to get bit for real, but die in a heroic way.

The zombies not being completely mindless is kind of different from what I am used to. It kind of makes things more disturbing when they actually have to be killed. Hideo is obviously still haunted by having to "kill" his girlfriend and wondering "are they dead or not?" probably makes things that much harder.

Gottheim
July 04, 2011, 01:07 AM
About the Volume: The story's progressing a bit slow but I still enjoyed it. There were some awesome shots as well, like Hideo hiding behind the tree. And we finally got a name for the infection: ASPD sounds fitting but I can't believe that the government is thinking about a name instead of rushing in the infected areas and save those who can be saved :facepalm (but I guess Hideo hallucinating is now entirely impossible)Just for info: Multiple Organ Dysfunction and ASPD are real life afflictions, the latter being commonly associated with sociopathy. So not only are they more concerned about finding a name for the disease rather than fighting it, they're coming up with something thoroughly mundane, and blatantly off the mark. Now you have something to :facepalm: about.

I really like the idea of them being not completely mindless. The man just wanting to see the picture of his family(?) was kind of touching :( Didn't see that coming, I was sure he would attack the girl. Still the infected are getting more and more creepy... and damn fast, being able to catch those two guys in a driving carThey probably weren't driving that fast just yet. IMO, the zombies were relatively close by, probably attracted by the stationed car's noise (plus they were already in pursuit). When the thugs drove away, they attracted the zombies to themselves, effectively deflecting their attention from the protagonists. Otherwise, it makes no sense for Hideo and Hiromi to have escaped the zombies for so long.

The zombies not being completely mindless is kind of different from what I am used to. It kind of makes things more disturbing when they actually have to be killed. Hideo is obviously still haunted by having to "kill" his girlfriend and wondering "are they dead or not?" probably makes things that much harder.That's surely an interesting twist from the usual Zombie Apocalypse scenario. The real question is not about them being dead or not, but whether there's a cure. Their minds still being present in some vestigial way is no definite proof, but it does point towards that direction.

saladesu
July 04, 2011, 03:00 AM
Yeah, I really liked the part with the man who just wanted to see the picture of his family again. It was touching, though I wonder if the other zombies do also have their minds still present. Could he have just been one of those in whom the disease had yet to progress as far yet? Earlier, Hideo's girlfriend (forgot her name now) pulled out her teeth to prevent herself from infecting Hideo if she bit him, but later wasn't able to control herself from attacking him. Perhaps as the disease progresses, the infected person loses more and more of their minds until they become mindless in the end.

The three double spreads where the zombies attacked the car were really well-done! It was almost like a flip-book animation with the zombies appearing at the window, grabbing them and all that.

Airget
July 12, 2011, 02:26 AM
Volume 4 is finally scanlated!! (available at JCafe) Thanks Gottheim for the translation and Gantz Waiting Room for the scanlation :super

About the Volume: The story's progressing a bit slow but I still enjoyed it. There were some awesome shots as well, like Hideo hiding behind the tree. And we finally got a name for the infection: ASPD sounds fitting but I can't believe that the government is thinking about a name instead of rushing in the infected areas and save those who can be saved :facepalm (but I guess Hideo hallucinating is now entirely impossible)

I really like the idea of them being not completely mindless. The man just wanting to see the picture of his family(?) was kind of touching :( Didn't see that coming, I was sure he would attack the girl. Still the infected are getting more and more creepy... and damn fast, being able to catch those two guys in a driving car :o
I hope Volume 5 and 6 won't take that long to be scanlated, can't wait to see what happens next.

Shawn of the Dead is the only thing I can think off hand that used the concept of zombie's retaining a side of their humanity even after changing. While there may be more it just doesn't come to mind atm lol. Overall though the story is getting interesting I'm curious to see how it ends. It would be nice if it didn't end in tragedy with him but most zombie stories end in tragedy lol.

yourspoilerisfake
July 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
Shawn of the Dead is the only thing I can think off hand that used the concept of zombie's retaining a side of their humanity even after changing. While there may be more it just doesn't come to mind atm lol. Overall though the story is getting interesting I'm curious to see how it ends. It would be nice if it didn't end in tragedy with him but most zombie stories end in tragedy lol.

You haven't seen a lot of zombie movies have you? Dawn of the Dead (1978) and every subsequent Remero zombie movie features this. The Return of the Living Dead series features zombies retaining former personalities as well, and even the more obscure titles cover it. Not to take credit away from this manga, it's excelent.

xfactor
October 08, 2011, 05:38 PM
Raws for volume 5, 6, and 7 are out. Anyone know if 8 is too?

Kaiten
October 08, 2011, 05:55 PM
Volume seven is the latest, it came out on September 30.

majora
October 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
oh man, im truly like this kind of manga, true horror, realistic, beautiful art, and slow paced
and the main protagonist kinda have unique personality, like have imaginary friend.

the best in this manga is not much talking, it's like im watching slideshow of art :D
it's remind me of Nihei Tsutomu-sensei work (Biomega and Blame)

i just hope english scanlation do more speed update ^.^

*aah sorry for my bad english

Drmke
December 09, 2011, 11:38 PM
I almost forgot completely about this manga until yesterday. It's a shame there aren't any recent scans. Is it because the group doesn't have time or are there a shortage of volume scans?

Josef K.
December 09, 2011, 11:48 PM
I almost forgot completely about this manga until yesterday. It's a shame there aren't any recent scans. Is it because the group doesn't have time or are there a shortage of volume scans?

It is because it was a joint project, one of the groups did not want to do the manga anymore and so Gantz_Waitingroom were left alone, thought they say the raws have been out a long time, perhaps they just lost interest in it or motivation after the other group quit.

Kanonelsebas
December 14, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi! I'm New in this Forum! I came here looking for this Manga =)

Volumen 7 its already available, a long time ago.

It´s no other group who can Translate this manga? I stop reading it in vol 5, and is quite hard to left aside!

Anyways, i´ll be searching for any Update.

See Ya! (saludos!!)

PD: Sorry for my bad English, i´m better reading it than writing it =P

barbapapa
December 14, 2011, 05:04 AM
Don't be impatient about something you're getting for free, with no strings attached.

Kaiten
December 14, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hi! I'm New in this Forum! I came here looking for this Manga =)

Volumen 7 its already available, a long time ago.

It´s no other group who can Translate this manga? I stop reading it in vol 5, and is quite hard to left aside!

Anyways, i´ll be searching for any Update.

See Ya! (saludos!!)

PD: Sorry for my bad English, i´m better reading it than writing it =P

You can always read Hanazawa's other manga in the meantime: Boys on the Run (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/73320-Boys-on-the-Run-by-HANAZAWA-Kengo) is a great manga and currently being scanlated. There is a movie too, supposedly pretty good. I have not read it yet but there is also Ressentiment (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=7055), already fully scanlated. I am a Hero is a great manga, I can understand a bit of impatience. Hanazawa is a great mangaka, while your waiting for the next volume try his other manga.

Drmke
December 19, 2011, 12:19 AM
Don't be impatient about something you're getting for free, with no strings attached.

Oh I wasn't meaning to be rude by any means, I was just curious if something happened or not since I had forgotten about this for quite awhile. :P

Kanonelsebas
January 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Im sorry too, i also wasn't meaning to be rude, Im sorry if my bad english was misunderstood. Thank you for the recomendation, I take a look on those mangas.

Greetings!!

Drmke
February 26, 2012, 06:18 PM
Gantz_Waitingroom (http://www.mangaupdates.com/groups.html?id=1204) just released volume 5!!!!!!

MattC302
February 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
Been reading volume 5 and it was worth the wait. I love it when the artist will have the same scene over a few pages with subtle changes like he did for the group scene in this volume. It's very cinematic. This is one time where I'm glad I am reading a manga online instead of a book because not seeing the next page and just pressing the arrow key makes it play like a flip book with these type of scenes.

EDIT: I just finished the volume. It was great as expected. I missed this manga. I was kind of bummed that Hayakari turned into a zombie. She really grew on me as a character and I thought she made a good companion for Hideo. It seems that Hideo had to put her down off screen. While I thought the ending of the volume was perfect and it probably wouldn't have worked as good if it didn't skip this, I really wanted and still want to see the scene of Hideo discovering Hayakari and his reaction to having to kill her. I hope we get a little flashback on that.

One thing though. I thought the second half of the volume with all the 2ch conversations was pretty tedious to read.

k-dom
February 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Indeed the double spreads of this volume were really awesome. Like you said it makes a really powerful impression. I made the 7 differences game quite a few time :-). If you have a way to read the manga in vertical mode, I strongly recommend it.
OK I have to remember to cut my nails next time I read it :-)

barbapapa
March 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
This fifth volume was kind of a drag to read. Especially considering how much I'm enjoying Hanazawa's Boys on the Run.
Hopefully the next one is better, or I'm considering dropping it until it's finished.

Galactic Tomahawk
March 01, 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm like two volumes behind now

Gotta step up my game.

Hemlock5
March 31, 2012, 01:59 AM
GWR has released volumes 6-8 in one row:

http://uploadmirrors.com/download/PYUTSCFK/I_am_a_Hero_06__GWR_.zip
http://uploadmirrors.com/download/OBFBXEIP/I_am_a_Hero_07__GWR_.zip
http://bayfiles.com/file/6GCX/fRdfje/I_am_a_Hero_08_%5BGWR%5D.zip

Aikyet
March 31, 2012, 06:40 AM
Illuminati Scans have realeased volumes 7-8 in one row:

http://illuminati-manga.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1333151826&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

This situation is so unreasonably stupid.

barbapapa
March 31, 2012, 07:56 AM
this manga sucks go read boys on the run (slight exaggeration)

MattC302
March 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
Those were two really awesome volumes. I love Hideo's confidence in his skill when he finally got down to business. He was pretty bad ***, but it seems all that killing will take a toll on him when he settles down.

That track and field zombie was disturbingly awesome and Iura and Sango's group were just plain disturbing. I love it when Sango got thrown in the trash.

I also love Hiromi's new world view. She sees people as demented stuffed animals. It's so weird and awesome. I'm glad she is still around even if she is a zombie.

And finally, we got a nice new addition to the main cast. Tsugumi Oda. She is quite likeable and seems to be a nurse or maybe even a doctor or med student. That could come in handy in the future. Her and Hideo could make a good team. Looking forward to the next volume.

LivioRazlo
April 01, 2012, 06:12 AM
Just readd volumes 7-8. It's really doing well with keeping me interested~!

Kaiten
April 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
Those were two really awesome volumes. I love Hideo's confidence in his skill when he finally got down to business. He was pretty bad ***, but it seems all that killing will take a toll on him when he settles down.

They really were, two of my favorite in the entire series. Hideo really did emerge as a hero here, I love this page (www.batoto.net/read/_/93958/i-am-a-hero_v7_ch71_by_gantz-waitingroom/12), he seems to find the inner strength to fight back. I'm sure the killing will take it's toll, I doubt anyone will come out of this unscathed.

That track and field zombie was disturbingly awesome and Iura and Sango's group were just plain disturbing. I love it when Sango got thrown in the trash.

Iura was crazy when he turned into a zombie, that was one of the best, creepiest scenes in the manga. Volume 8 opening with a close up of Sango's decapitated head was crazy, great way to kill him off.

I also love Hiromi's new world view. She sees people as demented stuffed animals. It's so weird and awesome. I'm glad she is still around even if she is a zombie.

She'll be key to solving the mystery, since she is so docile. Like Tsugumi said at the end of volume 6, she can be examined and a diagnosis made if they can find a doctor.

I love her hallucinations too, really crazy looking. A very cool way to show what the world looks like to a zombie. I'm sure all of the zombies are locked into hallucinations of their own. I loved the scene where she kicked the guy with baseball bats shin in.

And finally, we got a nice new addition to the main cast. Tsugumi Oda. She is quite likeable and seems to be a nurse or maybe even a doctor or med student. That could come in handy in the future. Her and Hideo could make a good team. Looking forward to the next volume.

Tsugumi is my new favorite character, she's such a bad ass. I loved how she dragged Hiromi on her back all the way to the parking lot. I couldn't agree with your assessment more: she has some medical training whether as a nurse, doctor, or student.

Just readd volumes 7-8. It's really doing well with keeping me interested~!

Anything specifically you liked? Any favorite scenes? Predictions.

Doraku
April 05, 2012, 06:19 AM
I read the very first chapter, Do you think I should continue reading this manga? From previous comments, It seems some parts of it are disappointing, how good is this manga in general?

barbapapa
April 05, 2012, 06:44 AM
It's worth your time.

Kaiten
April 05, 2012, 11:53 AM
I read the very first chapter, Do you think I should continue reading this manga? From previous comments, It seems some parts of it are disappointing, how good is this manga in general?

I would not call any of it disappointing. The beginning is purposely slow, by the end of volume 1 the pace picks up. Hanazawa is one of the best active mangaka, the writing and art are incredible from beginning to end.

It's worth your time.

All of Hanazawa's manga are worth reading. Now that I am a Hero is caught up I hope that fans try Boys on the Run and Ressentiment.

barbapapa
April 05, 2012, 01:29 PM
I actually liked the first 2 volumes best so far, but volumes 7-8 had a very nice Resident Evil/Dawn of the Dead atmosphere.

Kaiten
April 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
The way he staged volume 1 was brilliant. The gap in scanlations made it even better, I really did not see the zombies coming when the full volume was finally scanlted. So far volume two and three were my favorites, I did like the action in the last two volumes. I'm curious where he is going to go with this, what caused the zombies and what role that weird hikikomori from the internet will play.

MattC302
June 21, 2012, 10:21 AM
Not really my favorite volume, but still glad to be reading this again. It's interesting that that Kazu dude from the beginning seemed to be on a research trip for Hideo's serialization. At least that's what the journal entry implied. The rest of the volume was kind of slow. Basically, they just came to the conclusion that hospitals are dangerous and got some food. Interaction between Hideo and Tsugumi was good though. Well, now I can't wait for volume 10, which won't be out for a while...

haet
June 25, 2012, 03:20 AM
this manga sucks go read boys on the run (slight exaggeration)

I haven't read this manga since volume 4, but this is the slightly exaggerated version of my opinion too

I mean, I appreciate that the guy is trying to do something different rather than just keep working the same material ad nauseam, but this manga just wasn't working for me. I'll no doubt read it once it finishes, though

Kaiten
November 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Volume 10 is scheduled for release in Japan on Tuesday. Hopefully that means we get new scanlations sometime in November, December at latest.

---------- Post added November 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was October 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM ----------

Volume 10 is out and available from Illuminati's IRC channel. I'll probably read it tomorrow.

Drmke
November 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
Volume ten was fantastic in my opinion.

I loved the viewpoint of Hitomi and the hallucinations she experiences. But all of that gets overshadowed by the arrival of Kurusu and his group. I loved that we have Hideo in one corner having his own inner and outer struggle to become a hero while in the other corner, cowardly Ezaki is saved by actual heroes. I hope the two groups interact which I'm almost sure they will.

Also, I loved how Hanazawa portrays that internet forum. It's strikingly realistic.

MattC302
November 26, 2012, 02:21 AM
I really could do without those extended message board scenes.

trap25
February 04, 2013, 06:26 PM
volume 11 please...

Magjee
August 21, 2013, 10:06 AM
Just blazed through all 11 volumes, great stuff.

Cant wait for 12 ><

MattC302
September 01, 2013, 03:33 PM
Volume 12 is out and it was pretty awesome. Lots of interesting, weird and maybe a little confusing stuff going on.

First off, I'm a little curious about the cover. Is that like a wooly mammoth leg encased in amber? Perhaps that's a clue to where the zombie virus came from. A prehistoric virus preserved in mammoth bone, unleashed upon humanity when it was unearthed?

Then the big thing about this volume was the Kurusu is seemingly an evolved zombie. Or rather, an evolved human caused by the zombie virus. He's got enhanced physical abilities, and the zombies didn't attack him. The same thing happened to Takashi and The Naked Emperor. Hiromi might be one too. She seemed to be coming to her senses in the last chapter and Hideo didn't bother to restrain her at all. I bet Hideo gets a zombie power up later in the manga.

I also wonder about those zombie dens. They weren't attacking anyone at all. Maybe they are like a place for zombies to rest or something.

And I'm a little confused about the part where Kowashi said "Takashi...no Kurusu". Did Takashi kill the old Kurusu and become the new one? He has Takashi's mask, but long hair like the old Kurusu and the healed wounds kind of match up with the old Kurusu's from the fight. How would Takashi's hair grow so fast? The zombie enhancement? His face that we can see does look a little different. I guess we will find out this Winter.

raDar
September 03, 2013, 08:02 AM
First off, I'm a little curious about the cover. Is that like a wooly mammoth leg encased in amber? Perhaps that's a clue to where the zombie virus came from. A prehistoric virus preserved in mammoth bone, unleashed upon humanity when it was unearthed?

Then the big thing about this volume was the Kurusu is seemingly an evolved zombie. Or rather, an evolved human caused by the zombie virus. He's got enhanced physical abilities, and the zombies didn't attack him. The same thing happened to Takashi and The Naked Emperor. Hiromi might be one too. She seemed to be coming to her senses in the last chapter and Hideo didn't bother to restrain her at all. I bet Hideo gets a zombie power up later in the manga.

I also wonder about those zombie dens. They weren't attacking anyone at all. Maybe they are like a place for zombies to rest or something.

And I'm a little confused about the part where Kowashi said "Takashi...no Kurusu". Did Takashi kill the old Kurusu and become the new one? He has Takashi's mask, but long hair like the old Kurusu and the healed wounds kind of match up with the old Kurusu's from the fight. How would Takashi's hair grow so fast? The zombie enhancement? His face that we can see does look a little different. I guess we will find out this Winter.

I do believe it's Takashi. Hence, he beat the two Kurusus. And the long hair thing, I think you're right. It was actually hinted in that one panel where Kurusu (original) showed Takashi the head of the girl. His hair sort of stood up (like a Saiyan lol) in rage. And it'll be quite a coincident that those two Kurusu's both have long hair.

Anyways, the whole volume was crazy and good. That mini arc was so enjoyable I almost forgot about Hideo and co. It seems the story will go back to them next volume. Can't wait.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

Okay, after discussing the volume with my (two) friends over Facebook...

I asked what they thought about the zombfags in the den being all passive and behave. Someone shared his idea that they were all, in some way, tamed by the naked emperor.

MattC302
September 03, 2013, 01:33 PM
[spoiler]I asked what they thought about the zombfags in the den being all passive and behave. Someone shared his idea that they were all, in some way, tamed by the naked emperor.

That makes sense since Kurusu was able to put his arms around two zombies as they were attacking Takashi and they didn't bat an eyelash. These evolved zombie/humans or whatever you want to call them may be some sort of "alpha zombie" that can exert some sort of control over the mindless zombies.

And they did find some of the Naked Emperor's smashed up zombies in one room, so maybe he just coralled them into rooms so he could kill them later?

naruto-niichan
September 03, 2013, 02:14 PM
No doubt Takashi became the new Kurusu, or more like he already was. The Naked Emperor already said that "You are Kurusu as well", so it seems they refer to every evolved human as Kurusu (Den of Madness). It looks like in exchange for becoming considerably stronger and sturdy they loose all their emotions, as you could see by Kurusu (the original one) questioning Tomabecchi about what it means "to like someone". Kurusu killing Takeshi's love probably triggered his awakening, he seemed to go totally mad (and his hair went up lol) when he saw the severed head. Before he still had normal human emotions in him, like when the school building reminded him of the time he was bullied or when he thought of the girl, but on the last page it looks like he really became the new Kurusu, totally void of emotions.

@Matt I think the same. Like the Naked Emperor said, he kills everyone who seems to be above him in social standing, so he probably went through the school to look for such guys/girls - the ones he slaughters at the place the group was at.

Besides all that analyzing, great volume! I am a Hero never fails to deliver, the revelation of the evolved humans was a really good move. How the three fought was so weird and creepy. Now I wonder what Takashi, the new Kurusu, actually wants. The Naked Emperor only wanted to destroy the ones above him in standing, while the old Kurusu obviously just wanted entertainment, mainly through fights. Seeing how Takashi/Kurusu wants to head to Tokyo he must have some kind of specific goal there.
Oh, I really want the next volume now! :XD

MattC302
September 03, 2013, 02:31 PM
Now I wonder what Takashi, the new Kurusu, actually wants. The Naked Emperor only wanted to destroy the ones above him in standing, while the old Kurusu obviously just wanted entertainment, mainly through fights. Seeing how Takashi/Kurusu wants to head to Tokyo he must have some kind of specific goal there.
Oh, I really want the next volume now! :XD

Based solely on the fact that he got a crush on that girl really quick and her death is what possibly pushed him to evolve, I'm going to guess that he wants to go to Tokyo to find a girlfriend. That may sound silly, but I think these evolved zombies retain one major driving force from when they were normal. The original Kurusu was a shut-in IIRC, so his enjoyment of fights probably comes from the need to entertain himself while being a hermit. Perhaps stemming from heavy video gaming. And The Naked Emperor said something about girls looking down on him before he changed, so in his evolved form, he tried to kill anyone he thought above him.

So I theorize that Takashi-Kurusu will go to Tokyo....and find Hiromi! He will try to make Hiromi his girlfriend(I also theorized earlier that Hiromi is also an evolved zombie). Of course, Hideo will try to protect her and it will turn into quite a mess.

Magjee
September 04, 2013, 10:00 AM
Another awesome installment.

Takashi is definitely the new Kurusu, I had to jump back to when the head is thrown at him and look at the image to notice his hair changing.

Also nice to see Hiromi waking up.

Drmke
April 21, 2014, 03:58 PM
Chapters 144-146....Please tell me someone else has read them. Wow, I don't even....these new "things" are sick in the best and worst kind of way. Plus the dude's story (is he English?) was pretty touching.

MattC302
April 21, 2014, 04:31 PM
Chapters 144-146....Please tell me someone else has read them. Wow, I don't even....these new "things" are sick in the best and worst kind of way. Plus the dude's story (is he English?) was pretty touching.

I thought those human centipedes were just hallucinations brought on by his turning into a zombie. Kind of like how we saw some weird imagery from Hiromi's point of view. Pretty sure he was French.

Drmke
April 21, 2014, 05:21 PM
Ah shit you're probably right ....ha and here I was ready to lose my mind. Ok yeah French, I saw the end credits and wasn't sure. Those were some wicked hallucinations lol

Unholy
April 21, 2014, 10:09 PM
I tried to get into this story and while there are some really good elements i just cant deal with the insane amount of stupidity and ignorance displayed by every single non infected human. That really just killed this story for me... sucks cause it looks like a pretty good series.

conn-man
April 28, 2014, 10:48 PM
Ah shit you're probably right ....ha and here I was ready to lose my mind. Ok yeah French, I saw the end credits and wasn't sure. Those were some wicked hallucinations lol

I would be on stand by for this one. The french guys experience seemed a little to interactive when compared to Hitomi's muppet visions. Yes, French also has the same condition as Hitomi and Kurusu but what purpose does he serve when we have plenty of characters already displaying the super human element. I think his side story was showing the stuff he saw was real and a sign of things to come.

Drmke
May 06, 2014, 10:47 PM
I would be on stand by for this one. The french guys experience seemed a little to interactive when compared to Hitomi's muppet visions. Yes, French also has the same condition as Hitomi and Kurusu but what purpose does he serve when we have plenty of characters already displaying the super human element. I think his side story was showing the stuff he saw was real and a sign of things to come.

I hope you're right. Not because I think the story wold suffer from more zombie hallucinations, but if those things are real...things are going to get wild.