PDA

View Full Version : Predictions Promotions and Growth in the Marines

Junaid_Sennin
October 06, 2010, 02:53 PM
I posted about promotions in a chapter discussion thread, but it really doesn't belong there, so I decided to make a thread.

I've theorised on the status of some Marines after the timeskip, and thought it would be interesting to discuss this, and hear what everyone's opinions are. Ultimately, Oda-sensei makes the decisions, and they are always for the best, so we may find that our thoughts are way off, but that's half the fun of predictions! Now, without further ado:

Coby: I'll start with him since while I'm typing this, most of the theories running through my head pertain to him. I want him to be at the rank of Taisa (Captain), though if not that, at least Taii (Lieutenant). I think Coby's a fast learner, and must have some potential. In the short time between parting with Luffy in the Captain Morgan arc, and facing Luffy at Water 7, he went from a short, chubby, weak little crybaby with zero fighting ability, to a Sōchō (Master Chief Petty Officer) and was able to use Soru. Even his Kenbunshoku Haki is already awakened, whereas many stronger people, who've been doing things way longer than him, haven't even awakened their haki yet, like Smoker. I think that when we next see him, he'll wield a sword (sabre, katana, it doesn't matter), and he'll be a Rokushiki user, but he won't have mastered all six forms fully yet and wont be able to use the seventh form, Rokuōgan. He'll also be able to use haki, though he won't be very skilled at it yet, maybe only his Kenbunshoku haki will be well enough developed. He'll be stationed at the new Kaigun Honbu (Marine Headquarters), in the New World where G1 used to be. He may be a little famous and have made a name for himself amongst Marines and pirates as a promising rookie. An odd thought occurred to me while I was watching a martial arts movie (Magnificent Butcher, starring Sammo Hung); Coby reminds me of a cat. I can't explain why. If he were to have a nickname like the Admirals, I think something like Pink Cat (I think thats Momoneko, though not sure) would fit, since he has pink hair. He'll be bigger and muscular, and his physical abilities, like speed and strength, will be high, since he uses Rokushiki.

Helmeppo: He'll be Coby's partner, and should be one rank below Coby, so a Chūsa (Commander). I don't know if he'll also use Rokushiki like Coby, or become a full-fledged swordsmen, though it'll probably be swordsmanship. His physical abilities will improve; he'll be fast (maybe Soru), strong (maybe super-human strength) and muscular. He'll also train in Haki, but since his haki hasn't awakened yet, I don't know if it'll have been awakened by the next time we see him yet. After all, Rayleigh said 2 years is a little short to master Haki, but Luffy was talented and finished in 18 months. Helmeppo will also be stationed at Kaigun Honbu.

Hina: Hina will be stationed at Kaigun Honbu, not at Arabasta anymore. As for her rank, she could be a Junshō (Commodore) or at most a Shōshō (Rear Admiral), but I think she'll be a Junshō. She'll also have made a name for herself in the New World.

Fullbody and Jango: They'll still be partners and Hina's subordinates, but Fullbody will be at most a Taisa, and Jango at most a Shōi (Ensign, what Tashigi is before the timeskip). Jango is seriously weak, I have no expectations of him whatsoever. Fullbody however, was already a Taii at one point, before his demotion, and he's stronger now, since he's Double Ironfist Fullbody now. They didn't show if Luffy's Haoushoku haki at Marineford made him faint, but it made Jango faint. So anyway, I still think Fullbody's weak too, but better than Jango. If he gets upgrades, like stronger ironfists or something, it'd be interesting. It'd also be interesting if he became strong enough to be Hina's right-hand man, with Jango as his own right-hand. Maybe if Jango masters his hypnosis and stuff, he'd be useful. Still, these two are gonna be weak joke characters in the New World.

Smoker: This guy. He'll be either a Chūjō (Vice Admiral) or a Shōshō (Rear Admiral), though I think it should be Chūjō. He may possibly have Haki, though I don't think it'll be that strong yet. His main strength increase will be from mastering the uses of his devil fruit completely, and increasing his physical abilities like strength, speed and endurance. Maybe he'll carry two smaller kairōseki jutte, and become more skilled with them. Since he's stationed at the infamous G5, he'll have made a name for himself amongst pirates and Marines alike in the New World, as Hakuryō no Smoker (White Hunter Smoker. That's his official nickname, I didn't make that up).

Tashigi: Smoker's right-hand woman will be stationed with him at G5, and also have made a name for herself as Katanagari no Tashigi (Katana Hunter Tashigi, my own creation). I think she'll be a Taisa, and a truly fearsome swordswoman. I doubt she'd have super-human strength, but her skill and speed will be amazing. She'll have a bunch of strong techniques, and a high grade Meitō, maybe a Ō Wazamono grade sword, like Zoro's Shūsui and Wadō Ichimonji. Still, as a swordswoman, she won't be on the level of Mihawk, Zoro or Vista. I don't think she'll be a haki user, but I won't rule out the possibility.

Aokiji and Akainu: Aokiji will be Gensui (Fleet Admiral), stationed at Kaigun Honbu, and Akainu will be stationed as commanding officer of G5. I actually think this was Akainu's position to begin with. I'll explain both decisions now. Firstly, Sengoku recommended Aokiji as his replacement to Kong, and Oda-sensei wouldn't do something like that for no reason. When I read it I thought to myself, Aokiji really is the best choice, since he seems to be a 'good' marine, like Garp, Smoker, Tashigi, and Sengoku too (a little bit), but in the condition that the One Piece world is in, the World Government would want a hardliner in charge, someone aggressive and ruthless. Someone like Akainu. The seas are only going to get worse with the New Age, and Akainu seems like the man for the job. But after rethinking it, I think that Akainu would be most usefull right in the mix, taking down pirates. The Gensui has to stay at Kaigun Honbu all the time, which suits Aokiji's laziness. So where better for Akainu to be than G5, the place with the most problems in the New World. And I thought, since it fits so well, it may be that he's been there all along for that exact reason. After all, we never saw him until the war, maybe because he was in the New World.

I don't know who would be promoted to Taishō (Admiral) to replace the one that gets promoted to Gensui, but if I was forced, I'd say maybe Doberman or Onigumo, since they have the same attitudes as Akainu. Or maybe some new guy we've never seen before. Taisho are appointed based on strength, since they're the World Government's Greatest Powers. So I don't know, since all we know is that Garp was probably the strongest Chūjō, and he retired. We don't know the strength of the other Chūjō.

Whoa, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get it all out. So that's what I think. Let's hear everyone else's opinions. And I know a lot of people are gonna say haki should be rarer and I'm overestimating these guys and so on, but Rayleigh said haki is a power that everyone posesses, it's just that few people ever realise their power, so why shouldn't these guys have haki? Why shouldn't they be of those few who realise their power? And as to whether I'm over estimating these guys, as I said, it's my opinion, it can be wrong, Oda-sensei is the decider.

kkck
October 06, 2010, 03:06 PM
Personally I think smoker will be at most a rear admiral. The VA rank is for particularly strong marines and veterans to some extent. Being a logia (smoker's greatest feat) is not enough to move up that high in the marine ranks IMO. Even if he did grow stronger over the years, I don't think he'd be made a VA without haki.

Jorge D. Dragon
October 06, 2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it was stated that all Vice Admirals need to know Haki, so he had to know it. I can only see him as Rear Admiral at most even during the whole story.
About Koby and others... I don't expect really big growth. They won't have any significant role any time soon, because even during War with WB they were trash compared with Luffy and we can understand that he grew tremendously. I just can't see how they can handle really big shots.

Junaid_Sennin
October 06, 2010, 04:39 PM
Well, now that you mention it, Vice Admiral is the highest normal rank, as Admiral is reserved for the 3 strongest marines and are considered the World Government's strongest power, and Fleet Admiral is the leader of all the Marines. It's like in real militaries, Generalissimo is kinda like Fleet Admiral, a single rank that rules the entire army, and isn't a normal rank, meaning if you have a career in the military, general is the highest attainable rank, generalissimo isn't counted, as it's not a normal rank. So Admiral and Fleet Admiral are special ranks reserved for special marines, and you have to be exceptional to be considered for that rank. So, in normal practise, Vice Admiral can be considered as the highest normal rank, and in that case, I think Smoker will only reach that rank at or near the end, if he ever manages to really learn haki.

kkck
October 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yeah, it was stated that all Vice Admirals need to know Haki, so he had to know it. I can only see him as Rear Admiral at most even during the whole story.
About Koby and others... I don't expect really big growth. They won't have any significant role any time soon, because even during War with WB they were trash compared with Luffy and we can understand that he grew tremendously. I just can't see how they can handle really big shots.

I actually have mor expectations with coby than smoker. Surely he was a lot weaker than smoker or luffy but:

1.- His growth rate seems to have been higher than either luffy or smoker
2.- He has a natural aptitude towards haki

He has garp to train him and teach him haki. Being taught haki by garp should be by all intents and purposes something similar to being taught by Rayleigh. If coby was moved to the NW at some point he would have grown stronger in conditions about as harsh as those as luffy was in considering everything (considering marine HQ was moved it would make perfect sense he actually trained there). Smoker most likely has been in the NW this whole time however I don't expect him to have had the same growth rate as either coby or luffy.

Jorge D. Dragon
October 07, 2010, 02:53 PM
In fact Coby only got so much progress, because Garp was his teacher. And in reality he wasn't any match for anyone. He was only sergant mayjor rank and his only Rokushiki tech was Soru. Though he could have improved, but I can't expect much. At best he can be Leitenant.
About Smoker... he is rather old to grow significantly or exploer new powers. I expect only some new moves from his DF, not more. For me, during the manga he didn't get stronger, using the same moves. His only advantage is being Logia, so for Luffy now he should be a peace of cake.
I'm expecting some Vice Admiral to become Admiral and also there should be two new Vice Admirals.
Also we can see some new troops within the WG. There should be more powerful individuals, cause we saw Kong and he must have got some sobordinates like Army Commanders and they should be at least at Vice Admirals level. At least it looks logical.

kkck
October 07, 2010, 05:11 PM
Smoker is not old, I doubt he was even in his mid 20s. He has plenty of room to grow IMO. Not to mention luffy stated smoker had grown stronger when he faced him. As for new moves, we barely saw him fight at all. Even if he used the same moves it does not mean he did not grow stronger.

As for coby, you have to remember that when the manga started he did not even have the strength of a regular fodder marine. Then, at ennies lobbies he became strong enough to use rokushiki techniques and was clearly many times stronger than a regular marine. During the war he acquired haki, and I doubt he would settle for observation haki. I doubt coby right now would be as strong as luffy however I would expect him to be strong now. Obviously a high ranking marine position would still be far away due to his age and inexperience however him being actually strong is a very likely scenario.

Ashura_Ichibugin
October 07, 2010, 05:33 PM
Smoker is not old, I doubt he was even in his mid 20s. He has plenty of room to grow IMO. Not to mention luffy stated smoker had grown stronger when he faced him. As for new moves, we barely saw him fight at all. Even if he used the same moves it does not mean he did not grow stronger.

No, he was 34 before the time skip, which makes him 36 now.

kkck
October 07, 2010, 06:27 PM
I just remembered smoker actually witnessed rogers execution 22 years ago. That said, it still does not mean he can't become significantly stronger. If this was a real world situation then smoker would be long screwed however in OP things don't quite work that way. Once smoker learns haki (he should at some point, specially if he is in the NW) and continues to increase his strength (which luffy noted he has) he should be able to grow significantly stronger. I doubt he'd reach a point of no growth, he'd have no purpose whatsoever in the series otherwise (luffy now would easily rape him if he did not become significantly stronger IMO).