PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Fairy Tail Vol 25 (Chap 205 - 213) Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ghostexiled
October 09, 2010, 12:51 PM
This is where you can post and discuss all the spoilers for the next chapter of Fairy Tail!

And remember: NO SPAM, NO FLAME AND NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.

You can get the current chapter here. (http://mangahelpers.com/m/fairy-tail/chapters/205/)

http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/90525568/1

For future chapter providers... please do not create a new thread for its release. Post it in this Spoiler thread or PM me if it is closed so that I can open it.

gaston42
October 16, 2010, 08:24 AM
Chapter is out :

Draco1988
October 16, 2010, 08:32 AM
Tiny Natsu - kawaii, and top it all, there are bunch of 'em (for grab) XD
as expected, Elfman vs. his sister
and Erza is as merciless as ever

Now I wonder who got the free entry ^^

Bhoot
October 16, 2010, 08:35 AM
ok , now that was UNEXPECTED !! how many Natsus is that ;p?

And seems like Mira has gitten full control of her powers again !!

and i m gonna thing that Mest got the free entry now

ghostexiled
October 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
This is where you can post and discuss all the spoilers for the next chapter of Fairy Tail!

And remember: NO SPAM, NO FLAME AND NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.

You can get the current chapter here. (http://mangahelpers.com/m/fairy-tail/chapters/206/)

http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/91156309/1

For future chapter providers... please do not create a new thread for its release. Post it in this Spoiler thread or PM me if it is closed so that I can open it.

OldSkOoL
October 16, 2010, 08:38 AM
So we can assume Juvia and Lissana are gone and I can't see Elfman winning. So far Lucy and Cana are through and either G/L L/G or M/W have got either the ther battle and the free path between them.

Interesting how Natsu is still willing to fight which now makes men believe he will pass but only still if Gildarts lets him because it didn't even look like he was trying

Zatono
October 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
So, basically, the S-Class mages are handing their opponents asses to them. ESPECIALLY Gildartz. He's been nonchalantly smacking Natsu away this whole time.

Baka_Sousui
October 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
Lol and Natsus.

So we can confirm the hard battles.
And the fact that I was right about Juvia and Gray not doing battle.

That could also means most likely Team Gray will be in a battle with either Team Levy or Team Mest. The team not challenging Gray will get the quiet path. Big possibility Gray losing here.

eclipse12
October 16, 2010, 08:47 AM
I can see natsu winning his battle wikia gildartz but with alot of damage to him. I truely want to see all the natsu's use fire dragons roar at once that would look awesome.

Lord.Strife
October 16, 2010, 08:52 AM
I the natsu are separate at the moment does that mean that they can eat each other fire.

monkey D luffy
October 16, 2010, 09:00 AM
i dont think so, even though he is cut all of them has the same fire, i think each person's fire magic has a unique "signature" so to speak, so even if there are mulitple chibi natsus they all have the same fire which they cant eat.

gildarts destroying natsus flame was insanely cool. and people can stop worrying, the s class truly are beasts.

Baka_Sousui
October 16, 2010, 09:01 AM
I say no.
It'd still be eating your own fire.

ghostexiled
October 16, 2010, 09:10 AM
Guys... please remember to not post "one liner comments". Please only post thought out comments... something that adds to this discussion.

This is a rule that applies to this entire site. (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/announcement.php?f=371&a=117)

Thanks!

xErzaScarlet
October 16, 2010, 09:29 AM
Lol , this is funny , Natsu became duplicated to so many and became very small .
Gildartz is really strong , he didnt even move abit at all .
and as for Erza , she would lose to juvia and lisanna .

tobeulp
October 16, 2010, 09:37 AM
I Expect that Gildartz will be this strong He is the strongest S class mage in FT after all
I think all the Dragon slayers will move on to the next round..

Black Void
October 16, 2010, 09:38 AM
nice chapter... lol the comments of all the small natsus are great ^^ i look forward for the riot of the midgets xD

wooticus
October 16, 2010, 09:39 AM
it's really intersting how gildartz can not control his magic at all, why does he even compete in this thing if he may just kill his opponent by random because he can't control his destruction magic.

well for the mira jane battle... it's gonna be interesting as elfman won't just give up just because it's against his sister. isn't he a man after all? ;)

and erza.. i can't see erza losing to both of them.. she's just too much of a fighter and lluvias abilities are too one sided.. it's easy to counter.. but maybe lisanna has something up her sleeve...

but i really don't know who's gonna have the last battle. levy and gazille vs gray and loki.. seems very weird.. just doesn't suit.. maybe it will be m est and wendy against gazille and levy.. because levy and wendy are more the supporter kind of guys. and natsu could complain about graying getting into next round just by luck

Bhoot
October 16, 2010, 09:54 AM
it's really intersting how gildartz can not control his magic at all, why does he even compete in this thing if he may just kill his opponent by random because he can't control his destruction magic.

well for the mira jane battle... it's gonna be interesting as elfman won't just give up just because it's against his sister. isn't he a man after all? ;)

and erza.. i can't see erza losing to both of them.. she's just too much of a fighter and lluvias abilities are too one sided.. it's easy to counter.. but maybe lisanna has something up her sleeve...

but i really don't know who's gonna have the last battle. levy and gazille vs gray and loki.. seems very weird.. just doesn't suit.. maybe it will be m est and wendy against gazille and levy.. because levy and wendy are more the supporter kind of guys. and natsu could complain about graying getting into next round just by luck

the problem is , being a man will actually restrict him from hitting a girl ... well even I can't hit a girl !

But i would really love to see Gazille+Levy v/s Gray+ Loki

Me2Ecchi
October 16, 2010, 10:00 AM
Natsu neck scar on the cover page appeared before or is this the first time?

Krono
October 16, 2010, 10:32 AM

Levy+Gazille vs Gray+Loki doesn't seem that odd to me. If Gray's going to be knocked out this round, why not to the team that has Gajeel on it? Gray's supposed to be Natsu's rival, and Gajeel is Natsu's equal.

I believe we first saw his scar here:

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/fairy_tail/v02/c010/17.html

Ero-Sanji
October 16, 2010, 10:36 AM

Nah I recognize it from before, however it seems special and it may have some interesting history:amuse

Anyway, great chapter. This arc is promising.

About Lluvia and lisanna vs Erza:
First of all I love Erzas magic! It's so versatile and grand.
Erza definitely lives up to her reputation with great control and battle mind. I have a hard time witnessing team Lluvia succeeding but let's not also forget that they are 2 on 1 and I'm sure the partner in each succeeding team will be most responsible for the teams success.

About Elfman and Evergreen vs Mirajane:
This seems like the team which will lose. Elfman is almost always seen losing and he doesn't have the plot on his side either, unlike Natsu and Lucy. On top of that Elfman has to fight against his own sister. Too bad.

About Natsu and Happy vs Gildartz:
Well, the geezer is unstoppable as of now. However we know he lost against a dragon before and should Natsu unleash his inner beast things could go bad for the old man. The question is will Mashima let Natsu go all out this soon of the arc? Will Natsu win by fair luck or will he win at all?

ndulzky
October 16, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hahahaha the mini Natsus are cute!
Anyway I almost forgot about the guy who appeared at the beginning of this arc (who killed the animals and trees). I thought that Natsu would get the free path but meet him instead. Now I wonder when he's going to show up. I really hope he doesn't kill anybody!

iamtenninja
October 16, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hey this week's chapter is pretty good!
Bit unfortunate we didn't get to see the other teams fight (especially Mest and Wendy's team, they intrigue me)

Arrogance
October 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
Nice, there is no doubt about it now, Natsu really is facing Gildartz. I like how we are bouncing around a bit from fight to fight. Its really putting this tournament aspect into perspective in that all the fights are taking place at the same time.

Gildartz really fights with ease, was starting to make Natsu look like a joke, lol. His powers are really unique though, I'm really curious what else he can do. Natsu's will to fight is coming in handing in that he's staying in the battle but so far technique wise he has yet to do anything effective. Based on what I've seen right now I don't know what to expect from this fight.

That goes for all the fights with the S-Class mages, I don't know how Mashima really wants this to turn out. Does he make the hyped S-class mages lose? Personally I'm just not sure how these are going to turn out because it effects the rankings of mages in FT a bit, depending on the outcomes of these fights.

Bowser
October 16, 2010, 11:34 AM
Bye bye Elfman and Juvia XD...and geez Happy's kinda useless in this situation

kkck
October 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
Nice chapter lol. Did not expect to see a bunch of tiny natsus at the end of the chapter. Wonder why exactly is it that gildarts cannot properly control his magic though. When he said he was not going to hold back is not because of his mentality or a principle, it is because he is actually incapable of controlling his own power. Could it be his own mentality stops him from controlling his power or is it because the nature of the magic he uses itself is uncontrollable. Either way, gildarts lack of control over his power could explain why he is not a proper member of the 10 holy mages. He has quite a hack magic though. Based on what we saw, it is not just physical things he can crush. He can crush anything quite literally. Enemies, tangible or intangible attacks, they all can get obliterated on the way to him. Another thing, wonder if gildarts was actually born with this power. If he was, it is possible has has a more than interesting and sad past.

Another thing, I did not expect erza's fight to be so one sided. Not to mention she is fighting jubia of all people, someone who gave grey a really hard to and has that intangibility thing going on. I would have expected jubia to be more of a match. She still has a chance of making it though.

That said, there are still 3 teams we have yet to see. We are missing levy, merst and grey. Two of this teams are going to fight and one of them is going to get the easy path. I think for plot purposes merts and wendy are going to get the easy path while gazille and levi fight loki and grey. I think gazille will win some way or another. Levi's magic can probably pull some interesting stuff here.

cleodux
October 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
I think chapter 205 is the cutest ever... Chibi Natsus!!!! rofl
Judging from Makarov said in earlier chapter, it should be only 3 team advanced. 2 from battle and 1 from quiet path, so thats mean all teams who meet the s-class mage will lose. I don't think Natsu can win Gildartz, partly because experience and power, and also Happy virtually useless in a fight too.

But from Charle's premonition we can see Cana and Natsu there so.. i am not to sure about Natsu vs Gildartz fight outcome.

Evil3ye
October 16, 2010, 01:48 PM
I think this arc might become my favourite one out of the manga. It's awesome so far, and I hope Mashima will not cut the S class fights too much, like he was doing it other top mage encounters.

My prediction is that Elfman and Natsu will lose this match ups. Not sure about Lluvia yet, guess she might have a chance to get to the next level... plotwise, although it doesn't look to good for her at the moment.

Canna kicked out Fried. The next match up will be Grey - Gazelle. Somehow I believe that Mashima is saving Mest for the further plot and will not reveal his magic yet, so I'm pretty sure he'll let Team Mest-Wendy pass this stage without any fights.

thang08
October 16, 2010, 02:28 PM
Natsu doesn't stand a tiny chance :amuse Gildartz lied, he said that he wouldn't hold back but he withdrew his hand while performing magic. He only uses one arm/one leg for this fight so far. I wonder if he can use magic through the prosthetic limbs.

Kazu-Sama
October 16, 2010, 02:29 PM
I think this arc might become my favourite one out of the manga. It's awesome so far, and I hope Mashima will not cut the S class fights too much, like he was doing it other top mage encounters.

My prediction is that Elfman and Natsu will lose this match ups. Not sure about Lluvia yet, guess she might have a chance to get to the next level... plotwise, although it doesn't look to good for her at the moment.

Canna kicked out Fried. The next match up will be Grey - Gazelle. Somehow I believe that Mashima is saving Mest for the further plot and will not reveal his magic yet, so I'm pretty sure he'll let Team Mest-Wendy pass this stage without any fights.

I can see Mest being in a battle, beating Gazille soundly - he is untouched or something - but them very deliberately not showing us the battle, just showing us the defeated duo and Mest walking off, calmly.

Favorite arc so far, by a long way. This is awesome :) The Fantasia arc was pretty good, but nowhere near this :)

Anyway, who thinks LLuvia will pass?

I think that for all of Erza's might, she has a great weakness - her power relies on her weapons and armour. LLuvia has Intangability, so how can a sword really hurt her?

iamtenninja
October 16, 2010, 02:43 PM
I can see Mest being in a battle, beating Gazille soundly - he is untouched or something - but them very deliberately not showing us the battle, just showing us the defeated duo and Mest walking off, calmly.

Favorite arc so far, by a long way. This is awesome :) The Fantasia arc was pretty good, but nowhere near this :)

Anyway, who thinks LLuvia will pass?

I think that for all of Erza's might, she has a great weakness - her power relies on her weapons and armour. LLuvia has Intangability, so how can a sword really hurt her?

Initially, I was thinking Gaz+Levi vs Grey+Loki with Mest+Wendy taking the quiet route. However, this is Mashima we're talking about; I'm now changing my bet to Mest+Wendy (Win) vs Grey+Loki with Gaz+Levi taking the quiet route.

sarutobi_sensei
October 16, 2010, 02:51 PM
So it's not Mira in disguise :D

Damn! Juvia is probably going to pass on the test, I dunno how, but probably.

Mira is serious! She can even use her own power normally :D

Only people missing are: Gajeele and Levi, Loki and Gray and Mest and Wendy.

Natsu is fighting so seriously and yet he can't even do anything!

I was afraid for a moment there when he got cut in so many pieces.

Happy's face was epic after that: SCAAAAAARYYYY!!!!!!!

Really liked it.

Drakk707
October 16, 2010, 02:52 PM

That may be but don't forget Juvia is intangible due to her magic wich can't last forever, unlike Erza who just needs to use small portions of magic to ex-equip and then it's all down to her endurance and stamina wich are quite vast (To top it all she's wearing the Sea King armor wich apparently gives her resistance to water attacks) so if Juvia really wants to win she betta find a way to do it quick, 'cause if her magic runs out it's all over (Btw I'm really dissapointed on Lisanna right now, I expected so much more from her being the sister of the fearsome Mirajane and the manly Elfman *sighs*)

EDIT: For some reason I feel that it's almost a given that Gray and Loki will be out of the competition during this first phase so the question (for me) is Who will have the honor? Mest and Wendy? Or Gazille and Levy? (My bet)

P.D: I love Gildartz :P

kkck
October 16, 2010, 03:17 PM
To be honest I don't think grey is going to pass at all unless he gets the quiet path. I think mashima made a bit to much drama about gazille making levi an s class mage so I can't imagine him losing. Elfman is screwed though. This are the teams I see in the next round:

Cana/Lucy
Natsu/Happy
Gazille/Levi
merst/wendy

Anyone else is just filler but I can't imagine the manga going on without them for at least one more round.

Wonder how exactly being devided would affect natsu's power though. There are two alternative. First one is that each body has a fraction of the original natsu's power. That is the most likely scenario. Even then, natsu can now attack from many angles, if he uses a bit of strategy then he has got an advantage. Second alternative is that each individual natsu has an much power as the original. If that is the case then even gildarts should have a lot of trouble. Gildarts has a fake leg, I think natsu should aim for that lol.
[hr]
You know, I found it strange that jubia's fight was so one sided but thinking on it it really makes sense. Erza has her water armor so jubia's attacks lose half of their power at the very least(as was the case with the fire armor and lightning armor). If jubia manages to get rid of that armor then the fight could turn in her favor. It is not a matter of jubia being inherently weaker than erza but rather her attacks lose most of her effectiveness against her. Jubia getting rid of erza's armor is unlikely so I guess she has to rely on her partner for that. Lisana is going to have to do more than merely transforming into petty weak animals(birds and fish so far) if she intends to break it though. Wonder if she can transform into something that actually has attack power. I mean, she has barely shown anything so fat which would make her an even vaguely mediocre mage.

alf_man
October 16, 2010, 05:16 PM
Gildartz's power is just megahax! If he used the crash ability to full strength in a close distance, Natsu will be crushed into super chunky dragon meat. I would like to see how Happy can come into play and make something happen.

Great chapter in short and man, mini Natsu's are priceless. It's like Naruto's Kage Bunshins just tlaking to each other and fighting each other. I would not be surprised to see the mini Natsus to fight each other and than fight Gildartz when they're done.

Ninoshkalys
October 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
Aaawwww that is so cutee!!! A bunch of lil Natsus all fire up hahaha...!!!

That aside, wasn't it kinda strange the way Gildartz refer to Natsu as "Dragon child"...also in earlier chapters he has over shadowed Natsu with similar comments. Perhaps Natsu is not entirely human but some kind of Dragon/human being :oh? Something like in Mashima's earlier manga Rave master, the Dragon Race. BTW I sure hope Erza beats the crap out of Lluvia and Lisanna, and im kind of hoping to see a Mira and Elfman go all out with their Demon takeovers.

Note: Gildartz looked so kickass in this chapter...

Lord.Strife
October 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
Gildartz's power is just megahax! If he used the crash ability to full strength in a close distance, Natsu will be crushed into super chunky dragon meat. I would like to see how Happy can come into play and make something happen.

Great chapter in short and man, mini Natsu's are priceless. It's like Naruto's Kage Bunshins just tlaking to each other and fighting each other. I would not be surprised to see the mini Natsus to fight each other and than fight Gildartz when they're done.

i don't think hes megahax. Has anyone realised the powergap between natsu and a full dragon now. Gildartz got crushed by a dragon in 2 seconds. How powerful is a dragon.

Zatono
October 16, 2010, 05:48 PM
i don't think hes megahax. Has anyone realised the powergap between natsu and a full dragon now. Gildartz got crushed by a dragon in 2 seconds. How powerful is a dragon.

Right now he's not megahax, but before he sustained his crazy injuries he was probably almost untouchable by everyone except a choice few, and the dragons <.<

As for how powerful the dragon's are...I assume that once exposed to dragon slayer magic, they're just not as tough as they should be at all. Gildartz just got unlucky =/

Lord.Strife
October 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
Right now he's not megahax, but before he sustained his crazy injuries he was probably almost untouchable by everyone except a choice few, and the dragons <.<

As for how powerful the dragon's are...I assume that once exposed to dragon slayer magic, they're just not as tough as they should be at all. Gildartz just got unlucky =/

gildartz said himself that no human can defeat that dragon and that included himself. I don't think gildartz is the type to let his guard down.

Baka_Sousui
October 16, 2010, 08:14 PM
That may be but don't forget Juvia is intangible due to her magic wich can't last forever, unlike Erza who just needs to use small portions of magic to ex-equip and then it's all down to her endurance and stamina wich are quite vast (To top it all she's wearing the Sea King armor wich apparently gives her resistance to water attacks) so if Juvia really wants to win she betta find a way to do it quick, 'cause if her magic runs out it's all over (Btw I'm really dissapointed on Lisanna right now, I expected so much more from her being the sister of the fearsome Mirajane and the manly Elfman *sighs*)

EDIT: For some reason I feel that it's almost a given that Gray and Loki will be out of the competition during this first phase so the question (for me) is Who will have the honor? Mest and Wendy? Or Gazille and Levy? (My bet)

P.D: I love Gildartz :P

You Have to remember Lisanna was in Endoras for two years, where she did not use her powers at all. When she left she had yet to properly hone her skills. Also she was still young than and probably and was on her way to getting better at her magic. Being the youngest of the three as well meant the others had more experience and development already.
Lisanna is now playing the catch up game.

iamtenninja
October 16, 2010, 09:05 PM
Winning Strategy for Juvia:
Lisanna holds Erza down somehow while Juvia waterlocks both of them and drowns them. Two birds with one stone!

I'm not hating on either Lisanna or Erza but I have a feeling Juvia is (about to be) more ruthless than she looks.

xErzaScarlet
October 16, 2010, 10:12 PM
Nah , Juvia is a really nice girl . Remembered she sacrificed herself for Cana during Fantasia ?
That was really touching .

llamapie
October 17, 2010, 01:51 AM
Gildartz has a hax ability. OP.

Anyways. I can't see Natsu winning this, though its possible he at least injures Gildartz, its not Natsu's time to be S class. He is still too shounen-hero stupid.

Lectro Volpi
October 17, 2010, 03:17 AM
Took me off guard, is this the first time Natsu used other magic then Dragon Slayer? that means you can actually learn another form of magic, it was not just an omake thing!

Glad that Gildartz can use his magic in different ways, I honestly was just expecting smash hand of doom.

My predictions? let's see... Natsu will lost, Gray will lost, Juvia will lost and maybe Elfman too... ah yes, that Mest guy will lost too.

Gats
October 17, 2010, 05:08 AM
When I see the level of the former "S-Class" mages of Phantom compared to Fairy Tail now....Despite being the number two top guild, they (top members of Phantom) seemed to be awfully weak, it's like they had a lot of luck to bring such a commotion to Fairy Tail during their confrontation.

Is Fairy Tail really that strong compared to the other official guilds ? I expected top mages from other guilds being more than fodder even with we compare with FT S-Class mages. ><

Also it seems that Lisanna was really underestimating Erza. What was she doing with her wings anyway ?

MyuuMyuu
October 17, 2010, 05:52 AM
now we most likely know that Natsu will pass.. because its the main character ..

Fried/bixlous - Loser
Cana/Lucy - Winner
Juvia/Lisanna - Loser (it looked like that, so i exept that)
Elfman/evergreen - Loser (Again i dont think they win againt mirajane..)

so now there is Levy/Gajeel, Gray/loki and Mest/Wendy back.. THAT NO GOOD T__T because i wanted my dream team Gray and Loki to pass but im just sure they wont.. i would like mest and wendy to lose because i also want levy and Gajeel to pass but im just sure we will need the 3 dragon slayers in this arc, also we are going to see something from mest, so wendy/mest will fight Gray/loki and win, and Levy/gajeel vil take the quiet path.. thats my guess..

p1xel
October 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
Nice chapter.Natsu really wants to win that fight.But he won`t.:p.Still too early to be a S class mage.

Dice
October 17, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think team Juvia will win because otherwise it wouldn't make sense to show how Erza is owning them. If she win it could have been in this chapter. Furthermore it would be a win for Erza without much effort which doesn't seem right to me since Juvia is pretty strong and it's two against one.
Team Elfman will lose after a hard fight which got closer than many think.

Team Gray will fight against team Levi. I suspect either a draw (nobody is able to go on) or something really unpredictable. Maybe Levi and Loki will be out of commision and the gate will open up :D
Mhh an arc without Gazille and Gray...naaah they need to be in this arc even if both lose here :D
So the empty path is for Mest just that we are still curious about what he can do.

And finally Natsu. He will somehow win. Maybe Gildartz will knock all little Natsu's out but doens't notice that one is still able to fight and that one gives him a dragon's roar right into his mouth.

Rowel
October 17, 2010, 10:58 AM
Gildartz whupping Natsu whilst using only one arm.

I'm also somewhat relieved to see that Gildartz does indeed have a left armas opposed to losing it. He's just not using it. Injured, still?

I think I'd be okay with Gildartz losing to Natsu in the current situation since it's liable to be something not entirely serious. Also, in light of the fact that Gildartz is still bandaged up and having dodgy control over his magic. He was recently shit-kicked by a Dragon.

Elfman and Evergreen VS Mirajane is nice, hehehe, but I don't see them winning if Mira really doesn't hold back on them.

Erza VS Lisanna and Juvia could go either way since, for some reason, I doubt that Lisanna will go out so early in her first proper Arc since her re-introduction.

Nonlife
October 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
All those Natsus reminded me - no doubt Naruto fans as well - of the Kage Bunshin No Jutsu, but with a hint of what happened to Willard in last week's Ugly Americans episodes. Honestly, there'd have to be some sort of outside influence to explain Gildartz losing next week. (A mage as strong as him should know some spells to hold back/restrain the horde of "Natsus".)

Dark-Jackal
October 17, 2010, 01:43 PM
Really enjoyed this weeks chapter! I'm betting on a fight between Team Levi vs Team Grey. I'm convinced that Mest will be on the quiet path for sure.

Anyway, Gildartz doesn't seem like the type to let someone win with out a good brawl, but Natsu has to advance somehow.

Igtenes
October 17, 2010, 03:34 PM
My prediction of the next chapter: Natsu, Juvia and Elfman continue getting owned. Glidartz, Erza and Mirajane say that it's over; then Natsu and the rest start saying the exact same cheesy thing finishing each others sentence as they get up once more. Then after showing such strength and resilience all three will be deemed worthy of advancing.
Because I can't see any of them winning their fight, and it be weird having just Natsu advance when he's facing the strongest of the S-class mages.

Zatono
October 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
(A mage as strong as him should know some spells to hold back/restrain the horde of "Natsus".)

A mage as strong as him should be able to eat those Natsu's for breakfast, to be honest.

I'm pretty sure he'll end up suffering from some kind of side effect since he just finished getting his ass handed to him by the Black Dragon. Gildartz will probably get blasted into something by Natsu because of it, and then Natsu will think he won and just run past him. After that, we'll see Gildartz completely unharmed, probably just rubbing his head or something.

OldSkOoL
October 17, 2010, 09:08 PM
That sounds fairly plausible actually. It sounds like Natsu.

That seems to me one of the only ways he'll get past, the way it is now Gildarts is kicking his arse, easily and I can't see what a lot of mini natsus will do.

Unless they all have the strength as the original.

Riyuki
October 17, 2010, 09:15 PM
I dunno I think this may be the one way Natsu will win. There are a bunch of tiny versions of him and it seems small hard to see objects would be the only weakness to crash magic.. thoughts?

xErzaScarlet
October 17, 2010, 10:36 PM
i can imagine 100 chibi natsu using dragon breath and combining their mini-breath together and become a large force .

Bobbina
October 17, 2010, 11:45 PM
1.Lucy and Cana have passed, nothing new there
2. Natsu will win. Firstly, He was in Charle's prediction, secondly, hes the protagonist, -.- thirdly, Natsu must be related too this death dude, as we saw him saying natsu's name (literaly related as well, maybe that dude is his sibling/some long line of Dragneel)
3.Juvia and Lisanna will pass, We'll see Natsu and Lisanna's relationship at a more detailed point of view,( wow, first time we've seen Juvia be hit physically, not counting Grey)
4.Elfman is probly getting pwned and wont fight back, Evergreen tells him to snap out of it, Elfman finally gets over his soft spot (at least some) for his siblings and surprises Mira and wins. that would evolve Elfman alot; he was a bit weak with his weakness for Mira and Lisanna
5.Fried and Bixlow; Out of the game.
6.Wendy and Mest. Probably either battles Gazille and Levy, and wins. (I think Hiro will reveal more about Mest and his powers. It would be lame to have him be introduced as this quite strong, mysterious new dude who is Mystgun's apprentice and have him fail instantly) or they get quiet.
7.Gray and Loki at first i thought they would get Erza, but i guess not. They either fight Gazille and Levy and win or go through quiet, as Gray is Natsu's rival and we wanna see Lucy fight without Loki
8.Gazille and Levy, will probably fail, everyone else seems more important plus Levy is kinda weak, maybe she improves at the end but is too late and they loose anyway? plus itd be fun to have Gazille start ranting and all and Natsu making fun of him XD
I knew natsu would have this super power. What if one mini Natsu makes a fire and another eats it? would it be the same as eating his own fire? anyway, Natsu is gonna be a laughing stock fighting Gildartz in chibi mode. XD Hiros a genius

iamtenninja
October 18, 2010, 12:02 AM
1.Lucy and Cana have passed, nothing new there
2. Natsu will win. Firstly, He was in Charle's prediction, secondly, hes the protagonist, -.- thirdly, Natsu must be related too this death dude, as we saw him saying natsu's name (literaly related as well, maybe that dude is his sibling/some long line of Dragneel)
3.Juvia and Lisanna will pass, We'll see Natsu and Lisanna's relationship at a more detailed point of view,( wow, first time we've seen Juvia be hit physically, not counting Grey)
4.Elfman is probly getting pwned and wont fight back, Evergreen tells him to snap out of it, Elfman finally gets over his soft spot (at least some) for his siblings and surprises Mira and wins. that would evolve Elfman alot; he was a bit weak with his weakness for Mira and Lisanna
5.Fried and Bixlow; Out of the game.
6.Wendy and Mest. Probably either battles Gazille and Levy, and wins. (I think Hiro will reveal more about Mest and his powers. It would be lame to have him be introduced as this quite strong, mysterious new dude who is Mystgun's apprentice and have him fail instantly) or they get quiet.
7.Gray and Loki at first i thought they would get Erza, but i guess not. They either fight Gazille and Levy and win or go through quiet, as Gray is Natsu's rival and we wanna see Lucy fight without Loki
8.Gazille and Levy, will probably fail, everyone else seems more important plus Levy is kinda weak, maybe she improves at the end but is too late and they loose anyway? plus itd be fun to have Gazille start ranting and all and Natsu making fun of him XD
I knew natsu would have this super power. What if one mini Natsu makes a fire and another eats it? would it be the same as eating his own fire? anyway, Natsu is gonna be a laughing stock fighting Gildartz in chibi mode. XD Hiros a genius

1. Yep nothing new here; move along folks
2. Natsu was indeed in Charle's Prediction but that doesn't mean he's going to win. He could still lose yet end up in the same area where the prediction showed. Protagonist powers say otherwise unfortunately.
3. Heh I was thinking Juvia and Lisanna will pass to showcase more Juvia+Grey Moments but Natsu and Lisanna is also acceptable. Don't forget that Simon surprised-backhanded her in the casino during the Tower arc so I'd say this is the second time she's been hit physically.
4. Elfman definitely needs this victory; he hasn't been shown in so long.
5. Even though Fried and Bixlow are out, I still have a feeling they'll still have a presence in the trials. It's still suspicious that Fried carried a bag onto the island and yet it magically disappeared.
6. I'm hoping to see some Mest action; gonna say they fight Gray and Loki since I don't see Mashima throwing away Dragon Slayers in the first round.
7. Nothing here to see, move along folks.
8. This is Levi's first real battle shown; I don't think she's going to get eliminated in the first round. Especially with Gazille on her team. Again, I don't think Mashima's gonna throw away his dragon slayers that easily.

LoS
October 18, 2010, 12:22 AM
You both believe that 6 out of 8 pairs pass the first stage?

This chapter we clearly saw that the S-class mages were not instructed to go easy/"test" the challengers and allow them to pass, Gildartz debunked that. I find it hard to believe that given the above all 3 pairs challenging the S-class mages would all pass.

Yashie
October 18, 2010, 12:32 AM
I dunno I think this may be the one way Natsu will win. There are a bunch of tiny versions of him and it seems small hard to see objects would be the only weakness to crash magic.. thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. A couple Natsus shooting Dragon Roars at Gildartz in like every conceivable direction, and maybe some could sneak up his leg or something and attack his prosthetic attachments, that would put the hurt on him. Size does matter, folks.

Oh, and Happy's been pretty useless so far (as far as the fight is concerned). What are the chances that he airlifts some Natsus for an aerial attack?

One thought. Does each mini-natsu only have a fraction of the original's power, or is each one a Natsu-powered tiny thing? If it was a latter, Gildartz's rear end would get beaten pretty easy

I believe Wendy/Mest will get the quiet path

HappyStealer
October 18, 2010, 01:09 AM
I think the best thing about this arc is that everything has been unpredictable so far. First, we think Natsu get's the quiet path then all of a sudden, he gets possibly the strongest man in FT next to the Master himself. Second, chibi Natsus is completely out of left field but pretty awesome (definitely want to see how Natsu pulls outta this one minus going into Dragon Force.) I do wonder if Hiro won't show Mest just to build up this mysterious aura already surrounding him.

Yashie, I think Happy will just be a cheerleader/worrier on the sideline. He won't do much and I think most of us expected that. LOL

kkck
October 18, 2010, 02:37 AM
my biggest disappointment is just how utterly useless happy has been. It's not like I expected happy to take on gildarts however he could at least bother himself to pick up natsu and do some aerial attacks like they did against cobra. Heck, he could at least throw a rock at gildarts. ANYTHING but what he has been doing so far. I always thought happy was awesome in a few ways however his characteristic uselessness really annoyed me this chapter. Happy should at least try to do more....

OldSkOoL
October 18, 2010, 02:53 AM
I'm hoping the protagonist factor means squat because Gildarts has been winning and doing it easily and that shouldn't change. He's just too powerful

Kazu-Sama
October 18, 2010, 04:44 AM
I would LOL if Mest turned out to be really weak, and we were getting trolled all along :)

xErzaScarlet
October 18, 2010, 05:22 AM
neh , im betting on to a powerful mest . He got the runner-up for the previous year's S-Class challenge .

Bhoot
October 18, 2010, 06:23 AM
i m acutally betting on Cana , for someone to be elceted for this thing for 5 years w/o fail by Marakov , she must be showing some promise

Freid
October 18, 2010, 08:27 AM
Wow, Erza really has become an auto win character. Mashima would literally pull any armour out the ass just to counter the opponents magic.

Why doesn't Evergreen instantly take her glasses off.

On a positive note, Natsus fight is pretty funny. :amuse

ghostexiled
October 18, 2010, 08:49 AM
^Wouldn't work... Mira is to fast for her to stare at I am sure. I am interested in seeing how the little Natsu's fight together since they all have the same battle ego that the normal Natsu has. Each one will want to fight Gildartz by themselves. :p

Freid
October 18, 2010, 09:18 AM
You turn to stone simply if you look into her eyes. If Evergreen had simply walked there with her glasses off, Mirajane would have been caught. Mirajane would have looked into her eyes at least once cause she wouldn't be expecting it. Butof course what Mashima is going to do is make Evergreen take her glasses off in the middle of the fight when Mirajane is already at an advantage.

ghostexiled
October 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
I would be pretty sure that, that wouldn't work either. You are not given the title of S-class Mage just based on power. I am pretty sure on top of that, the S-Class Mages were fully aware of who they would be fighting the minute the candidates chose their respective paths.

Besides that both Elfman and Evagreen looked like that crapped their pants when the found out who they were fighting. You don't do that if your are confident that your eye power would do the trick.
[hr]
btw, people are commenting on how they are upset over Happy not doing anything... what could him flying Natsu around help with? Unless this is the time that Happy finds a new ability or 2. Still don't see how a new power would be anything against the mighty Gildartz...

Bhoot
October 18, 2010, 10:52 AM
well , Gildartz hasn't show any ranged attacks except for the one that created mini Natsus . So he could have used fly + speed to keep Gilly from hitting Natsu [or atleast tried i guess]. But yeah , i guess he is best doing commentary instead

Freid
October 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
Ok, saying the S-class mages were aware of who they were each fighting when they entered their respective routes is total speculation. I don't believe they each have the bility to sense their opponents neither do I think there are cameras there. Also, the S-class mages may not have been given their titles by power alone but the fact that Evergreen had turned both Erza and Mirajane along with the other females in the past proves just how far not expecting something could go. Also Evergreen and Elfman do look like they are crapping their pants because they are facing Mirajane, but that s exactly what I said of course Mashima would do instead of the obvious. During the fight whilst when Mirajane has an advantage would be when Evergreen would decide to attempt to turn Mirajane into stone which probably won't work. The smart thing for Evergreen to do before she even knew who her opponent was would be to walk in there with her glasses off.

ghostexiled
October 18, 2010, 11:11 AM
Of course it is speculation... I did not state it was fact. Also I did not say they "sensed" their opponents at all, I just stated that I would THINK they were aware of them... be either seeing them enter or being told by Makrov.

Also Evergreen turned Erza and Mira into stone during the Laxus fight because they were unaware of any kind of threat from her... quite different than the current situation, since everyone is aware that they will be fighting.

I state that they are S-Mages not only on power but from the ability to know what they are facing. A true S-Mage would take into account who they could be facing... thus being prepared for those abilities from the candidates and their partners.

You seem so set on wanting to call their encounter some kinda plot-hole or mess up from the Mangaka... but it isn't at all.

Even if the S-Mages were not aware of who (exactly) they would be fighting... they would already be on guard and ready for whomever walked into their area, just from already knowing what each person was able to do.

Freid
October 18, 2010, 11:16 AM
It would be pretty cool if each of the Mini Natsus had natsus full power. That's really the only way I can see hime having a chance. I loved how all the Natsus were like 'no, I'm Natsu' :amuse

Ero-Sanji
October 18, 2010, 11:34 AM
Happy will be the one behind Natsu's success. He was useless against Shinigami(except the actual flight) yet he was the one who told Natsu, indirectly, how to defeat him. I'm sure the same thing will occur now, if not the death kid gets Gildartz first.

Freid
October 18, 2010, 11:34 AM
In that case, that speculation doesn't make sense in the slightest bit. Why would Makarov tell the S-class mages their opponents only to give them more of an advantage on top of the fact that they are S-class mages. They were not aware of their opponents. Makarov isn't in some bush peaking on the mages for him to know which route each of them chose. We dont have sensing mages here like you're implying. Even if you say you aint implying that, that is exactly what you're doing. Makarov doesnt know, and neither did the S-class mages before they saw them. Im not trying to call it a plot hole at all, the fact is, the smarter thing to do would have been for Evergreen to walk into there with her glasses off. No matter who her opponent was, that should have been the first thing in mind. Instead Evergreen waits until she sees her opponent, has a fit, they start fighting, the opponent gets the upper hand, and then she attempts to turn them into stone which is what I see happening. We even saw the only way Erza could fight Evergreen without her glasses was to close one of her eyes because the other was fake. That is simply Erza being Evergreen's natural opponent. Being aware of each of your opponents abilities is useless here because as long as Mirajane did not know exactly who she is facing, the first seconds of the fight should be her getting prepared. During this time, had Evergreen had her glasses removed to begin with, I dont see Mirajane countering that.

Also, you say it like S-class mages do not have weaknesses. Mirajane may not have ever faced an opponent whos eyes she cant look into. Although its true an S-class mage should find their way around that in time, but in the first seconds of the fight, had Evergreen taking off her glasses from the start, it would be difficult to counter.

ghostexiled
October 18, 2010, 12:03 PM
you keep taking what I say and getting it completely wrong... I will say this again. I am NOT stating that anyone has a "sensing" ability. I merely "suggested" that they were informed of who they were fighting... be it by witnessing their opponents enter the cave or being told. You seem to think that what I state in my post are %100 fact... everything anyone states on these threads are opinions of the poster.

You seem to also think that this is a test for the S-mages as well... them having an advantage or not doesn't mean anything. They are not the ones that need to prove anything here. Also, there is nothing wrong with Makrov playing a part in this by informing the S-Mages of who they are fighting.

This is suppose to be a challenge for the candidates and I see no reason why these things I have suggested could not be used.

You also don't understand that knowing what each candidate is able to do (ability wise) is yet another advantage that the S-class Mages would not ignore, same with the candidates knowing what the S-Class mages are able to do.

Evagreen's eye ability uses magic... magic that needs to be saved for when she really needs it. Her having her glasses off doesn't mean that the power is constantly being used. So in that sense... she is being smart by NOT having her glasses off and waiting for a better chance of using it.

You are now implying that Mira has NEVER fought against a person with an eye technique before. She has been on many missions and tuff ones at that from being a S-Class mage. Just because we (the viewers) have not seen her fight someone like that, doesn't mean she hasn't fought someone with an eye ability.

You also don't know that Mira doesn't have the ability to counter the eye technique.

There doesn't seem to be a point to continuing this as long as you keep misreading what I am stating. I understand what you are saying... but running into a battle with a strong opponent, guns blazing is not very smart at all.

Freid
October 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
The difference is you're trying to use that speculation to prove what I'm saying completely wrong. Even if you admit it is speculation, how can such a baseless speculation be used as evidence for anything. I'm showing you why that speculation doesn't make sense. I'm aware this aint a test for S-class mages, but the fact is, S-class mages are already tough enough as it is. The fact that they are S-class should be all the advantage there is. I still don't understand why Makarov would tell them each of their opponents like it's supposed to make a difference. The idea is that S-class mages are super powerful and nobody there should be able to rival them. So with that said, I dont see Makarov going to tell them who just entered their route because in theory, it should not make much of a difference. Also, like I said before, I doubt Makarov kept himself hidden and was peeking on which route everybody chose so that he can report to the S-class mages. I also doubt we are later going to be told that Makarov did anything of the kind. So with that said, if we aint even told about it, and it doesn't seem to make a sizeable difference in the S-class mages battles, I dont think it happened.

Mirajane may have fought an opponent with an eye technique before, but the techniques do seem to be unique to the Raijin tribe. Even if it isn't, I would bet that it is very rare. With that said, who is to say that Mirajane did not have trouble against such opponents. Of course this is speculation on my part, but such opponents could have given her trouble. So if you're saying S-class mages should be able to do this and that, you should also acknowledge that they can have weaknesses and certain opponents they are not so strong against. I also think Evergreen having her glasses off does mean her magic is constantly being used.

Also, you're making it out to be like I'm misreading. I aint misreading, I'm using other instances to show you why what you're saying is wrong. I'm also someone that dislikes people misreading what I write and totally missing my points so I wont then turn round and do the same thing.

ghostexiled
October 18, 2010, 12:48 PM
I admit that the S-Mages are not Gods and have their fair share of weaknesses. I am also one that would quickly state that I am wrong in something.

Just the idea that she (Evagreen) would just approach this battle with her glasses off, seems to be a factor that Mira would consider... even Gidartz and Erza would as well.

If I were in their shoes (S-Class) I would sit down and consider to myself, what techniques from the candidates would be the ones to worry about. So obviously, Evagreen's would be top of the list.

I will completely admit that I may have been wrong in stating that the S-mages were informed of their opponents. The only issue I have is thinking that the S-Mages would fall for, what would be such an obvious move, from Evagreen.

In speculation... I would believe that team Elfman were more concerned with what route they took, than being ready with Evagreen's ability.

I could understand your suggestion, if team Elfman were not expected or known to be on site. But since this whole battle scenario is known by all involved, I just can't see such a one-hit kill move being easily succumbed to in this situation.

Does this make sense? :)

Sollum
October 18, 2010, 02:32 PM
I for one believe that all of them will pass S class fights.

Makarov said that S rank mages will attempt to block them from proceeding further. He didn't say that they will have to beat S class mages to the pulp to get past them.

Also Makarov mentioned "luck", it has to be something more than just one "free" path.

Yeah i know "But this is an exam!!! Not all of them must get pass!!!", well, we will shake of 2 teams for sure, 8 passing to the second part seems good to me, you don't want only two tasks, do you?

Somehow i feel that S Fight is also "lucky" path...

LoS
October 18, 2010, 03:54 PM
You also don't understand that knowing what each candidate is able to do (ability wise) is yet another advantage that the S-class Mages would not ignore, same with the candidates knowing what the S-Class mages are able to do.

This is the only thing I don't agree with in your post. In fact, it is pretty much trivial. The S-class are obviously without a doubt very strong, but even more so, they are all experienced. Take Erza's fight for instance. She upon seeing Juvia equipped her anti water armor. But, even if she didn't know Juvia's strength, Erza is an experienced enough fighter that she would have equipped the anti water armor once she saw that Juvia used water based attacks.

Yeah i know "But this is an exam!!! Not all of them must get pass!!!", well, we will shake of 2 teams for sure, 8 passing to the second part seems good to me, you don't want only two tasks, do you?

You mean 6 teams passing, they only started with 8 to begin with :p

Somehow i feel that S Fight is also "lucky" path...

I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but this quote is clearly wrong. Heck, look in the chapter itself. Gildartz thought he defeated Natsu, and then even said, you just weren't lucky since you had to face off against me. The luck in this first stage is, firstly getting lucky enough to choose the empty path, and secondly facing off in one of the duels against the other S-class candidates against a pair you are clearly stronger than.

Evagreen's eye ability uses magic... magic that needs to be saved for when she really needs it.

Scratch what I said above, I also do not agree with this.

This is why it is called a hard battle. The S-class candidates who face off against the current S-class mages do not have the luxury to save their magic. This is why you must have luck, since the test for S-class is like a gauntlet. You have to pass the first stage, and then use whatever strength you have left in the next stages. Those who are lucky enough to get the empty path, or face off against one of the weaker candidate pairs are those who are lucky, and managed to save up their magical power for the second stage.

Lunatic Scream
October 18, 2010, 04:13 PM
The annoying part about this arc is that it really only has two outcomes.

Cana wins, because this arc is basically revolving around her.

Something goes horribly wrong, and all of the participants that aid in making it right are promoted to S-Class.

Also, I don't really like Mest. Maybe I am missing something, but he just magically appeared in the story for this arc, right? You're telling me Mystogan's disciple was even less seen than Mr. "OMG TEH ENIGMA"?

LoS
October 18, 2010, 04:28 PM
Cana wins, because this arc is basically revolving around her.

Well, I for one don't believe Cana should become an S-class mage. Just because she has been trying for years doesn't mean she HAS to become one, and I feel there are plenty of candidates there who are more suited/better.

That being said, I think that in the end Cana has to grow/develop. If when it is all said and done, if she says, you know being an S-class or not isn't the end of the world for me, I feel that would show her maturity.

HappyStealer
October 18, 2010, 04:35 PM
Maybe Mira will transform into a form which allows her to "see" in the dark. There are obviously animals in the real world who uses their other senses to catch their prey like hair that can feel vibrations in the air. From the way these trials are being run, I don't think you become one just because you are simply stronger. I wouldn't underestimate the abilities/experience of a S-class mage. It's just like the chuunin exams in naruto in which shikamaru became a chuunin because of his strategy and how well he can handle high stress situations even though Sasuke and Naruto were infinitely stronger. I'm not saying that an s-class mage is unbeatable but I think this trial was designed to test how well two people can work together (this was why choosing the right partner was extremely important), how much luck they have and what mental endurance they have to defeat a S-class mage (minus Natsu, he's the protagonist so his outcome will be very interesting.) With the way evergreen and elfman reacted to getting mira, they are already mentally checked out. Hopefully, they get over it and fight seriously because it's not going to be easy.... Half the battle is taking that first step as they say.

Bobbina
October 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
Happy aint gonna get a new power, at least i hope not, since taht would be ruining the point. Natsu is gonna past first trial, No doubt, since Hiro cant afford to leave out the main character in a very exciting, long, important arc. I also have a feeling that Cana will win. Lucy's determination and Cana's desperateness say that she will win,otherwise she's gonna disappear from the story. If she doesnt, maybe Cana will see the guy she wants to at the exam itself, (the guy's probably the death dude) or she loses and accepts it. natsu's physical strength will decrease, as well as his fire's range and size, but he will swarm Gildartz, and since Gildartz, only has 1 arm, that will be a major advantage. Happy's probably gonna help with aerial attacks, which really Mobs Gildartz. The reason hes not been doing anythinng is cuz he can't and will just be blown to bits if he interferes. And, many say Gildartz cant hold back and he is weak cuz he cant control his magic, but that's BS. Either his magic is like Natsu's some power lies dormant and goes wild occasionally, (prolly not) or its cuz he got injured and his magic is all over the place, considering the fact that he lost an arm, a leg, and an organ, OR, and i think this is true, he isn't used to holding back and usually goes all out.
[hr]
Mira knows Evergreen's power, so i predict she'll be able to smell or hear or feel or echolocate or something to find Evergreen

LoS
October 18, 2010, 06:06 PM
Happy aint gonna get a new power, at least i hope not, since taht would be ruining the point.

I understand this point you made was in reference to this current fight, but I wouldn't totally count it out. Granted, it is definitely more likely/probable that it will happen later in the Fairy Tail story, as the plot continues to progress toward unraveling the mystery that is the Dragons and Zeref connection.

The only reason I say do not completely discredit the idea is simply due to Gildartz. He already dropped numerous hints as to Happy and Natsu's importance together. The Dragon child reference, Natsu's growth in power, his foreshadow to Happy about how Natsu could take down a dragon with Happy's help. Gildartz obviously knows many things we dont(as I'm sure Makarov does as well), and Gildartz even has the 100 year quest connection with the Dragon and whatever it was defending/Gildartz was searching for.

The above being said, I could easily see Gildartz "testing" Natsu and Happy, by trying to purposefully drive Natsu into a corner forcing Happy to intervene and get a power boost. That or Gildartz will try to awaken even more of the dormant power that Natsu possesses.

OldSkOoL
October 18, 2010, 07:53 PM
I can't accept anything Mashima would do for Natsu to get past.

He is simply no where near powerful enough to even touch Gildarts and it doesn't seem in Gildarts character to let him pass, infact we already have Freid do that for Cana, why not make Erza and Mirajane let their combatants pass too while we're at it?

elitefox
October 18, 2010, 08:01 PM
I understand this point you made was in reference to this current fight, but I wouldn't totally count it out. Granted, it is definitely more likely/probable that it will happen later in the Fairy Tail story, as the plot continues to progress toward unraveling the mystery that is the Dragons and Zeref connection.

The only reason I say do not completely discredit the idea is simply due to Gildartz. He already dropped numerous hints as to Happy and Natsu's importance together. The Dragon child reference, Natsu's growth in power, his foreshadow to Happy about how Natsu could take down a dragon with Happy's help. Gildartz obviously knows many things we dont(as I'm sure Makarov does as well), and Gildartz even has the 100 year quest connection with the Dragon and whatever it was defending/Gildartz was searching for.

The above being said, I could easily see Gildartz "testing" Natsu and Happy, by trying to purposefully drive Natsu into a corner forcing Happy to intervene and get a power boost. That or Gildartz will try to awaken even more of the dormant power that Natsu possesses.

With what the story is going..

I can say that Zeref is a DS as well

Wow, Gildartz just destroy all natsu's attack without a sweat, just gives the feeling what an S-class mage is.

I don't even want to mention the lucky ones rather unlucky since they must at last get a S-class mission without returning:eyeroll

Ravis
October 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
Yea, I'm anti-Natsu on this one. Every other group is at lest taking this seriously. Natsu really isn't. He takes a partner that worthless in fighting and it now pitted against the second strongest in the guild. Him becoming an s class or even wining the fight is really out of place.

LoS
October 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
He is simply no where near powerful enough to even touch Gildarts and it doesn't seem in Gildarts character to let him pass, infact we already have Freid do that for Cana, why not make Erza and Mirajane let their combatants pass too while we're at it?

Makarov gave them parting words of, strength and luck. Lucy/Cana were lucky to pair up against whom they did, otherwise they would have lost to any of the other 6 pairs. Displaying strength not only means defeat your opposition in the battle routes, but show strength in the hard battle routes. It doesn't necessarily mean they have to outright defeat them, the S-class mages could come up with some stipulation for themselves, like say I declare I lose this battle if you manage to strike me just once. Everyone needs to take it more metaphorical and not so literal.

Natsu takes a partner that worthless in fighting and it now pitted against the second strongest in the guild. Him becoming an s class or even wining the fight is really out of place.

All the more reason for him to deserve it then right? In Natsu's case he would be single handedly defeating the opposing pair. Where as, the other groups are all relying on partnership. Natsu would show that as an individual he is certainly strong enough, if he can win despite giving himself a handicap on purpose, that being Happy.

Yashie
October 19, 2010, 01:07 AM
You know, when Makarov said the "S-Class mages will be HINDERING your efforts to pass" it doesn't seem like its the contestants' goal to DEFEAT the S-Class mages, but just to GET PAST them. Well, it's typical of Natsu to want to bash Gildartz, but isn't it possible that all he needs to do is get Happy to airlift him past Gildartz and onwards? This just occurred to me ^^ any thoughts?

Oh and another thing : Gildartz and Natsu are the two top mages at Property Damage. I shudder to think how much of the sacred island is gonna be left in the next chapter -.-'

Krono
October 19, 2010, 01:45 AM
A few thoughts.

First of all, Evergreen walking around trying to petrify their opponent the moment she sees them is not a good idea. Any opponent can get an idea of who's approaching by their footsteps/the sound of them moving, making immediate eye contact a dubious proposition. That's assuming she doesn't walking to one of Fried's magic barriers with a rule that magic use puts you to sleep, or is reflected upon the team opposite the target. Plus if they land the quiet path it'll be a complete waste. And Elfman might not have wanted her to do so because it wouldn't be manly to defeat enemies in that manner.

Second, the three S-Class mages are holding back. Specifically they're not actively trying to kill their opponents. At a guess they're mainly on the defensive trying to bar the way.

Next, there are more than two possible outcomes for this arc. 0 new S-Class, 1 new S-Class, or several new S-Class with the most probable being 1 new. This does not have to be Cana, despite it being her arc, and her declaration she'll leave Fairy Tail if she fails. The events of the arc can easily cause her to change her mind and/or give her the resolution she's looking for without the new title. Furthermore, by Mirajane's reaction, it's entirely possible Cana's said the exact same thing every year and never been able to bring herself to follow through on it.

Moving on, Natsu's choice of Happy as his partner was smart. Unlike most of the others, Happy is his longtime usual partner. How he does on the exam with Happy would be a better indicator of how things would really go for him if he makes S-Class than say Elfman making it with Evergreen's help. Yes he's at a disadvantage in combat. However if he can't overcome another S-Class mage that isn't going all out 1 on 1, or defeat someone near S-Class and their chosen support 2 on 1, then he definitely does not deserve S-Class.

Furthermore, while Happy does not grant much help in combat other than an option for mobility, and the occasional insight, that does not mean he's useless. For starters, he got Natsu to the beach 5th, instead of what would probably have been 7th or 8th. I can easily imagine the second portion of the exam involving getting up to the island up top, in which case Natsu has an instant advantage as only Juvia's team has flight ability left. Assuming of course that Natsu isn't still in chibi-horde form. That would be rather awkward to transport.

Finally, on the subject of Natsu defeating Gildartz, I can see a couple of things happening. First, Gildartz's artificial limb(s?) breaks due to either Natsu or Gildartz, and Gildartz calls it quits. Second, Gildartz decides it's no longer possible for him to stop Natsu without killing him and gives up. It's probably similar for Erza and Mirajane as well, you don't need to beat them until they can no longer fight, only until they decided they're at too much of a disadvantage to win, or safely with and give up.

Neither possibility establish Natsu as stronger that Gildartz in anyone's mind, it'd be a win attributed to luck more than anything else. Natsu would be unhappy, but he'd get to continue onward.

Ninoshkalys
October 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
I think the S class mages said "I won't hold back" merely trying to bluff and intimidate the candidates so they would fight more seriosly. Cuz honestly I don't think the S class mages are allowed to beat the candidates like really bad with serious injuries. I for one believe Makarov would have some kind of rules for the S class mages participating refering to the fights. Like for example, perhaps after a certain time fighting or after a certain amount of injuries they should stop fighting or either let the participants pass. Thats just a thought.

Bobbina
October 19, 2010, 08:35 PM
For one, if Happy DOES get a new power, then i believe it MUST be related to the exceed, and shouldn't be a direct attack, something to help Natsu and boost his strength. Maybe Happy will magically create some fuel for his fire or something O.o ok just a thought. And i can see why u guys are denying the fact that Natsu is gonna pass. Unless Happy helps and Natsu's seperate bodies really help, or Natsu uses Dragon Force, Natsu's screwed. Period. And people who say that U dont have to beat the S-class mage, i sorta ish agree. It would make sense if u do have to, considering the fact that if u pass this, u may actually BECOME an Sclass, since losing to an Sclass says that ur not on par with them, but definitely there can be Fried/Bixlow situations, letting them pass and not going fully all-out. But that won't happen with Natsu, he will go MAD if he loses and Gildartz lets him go through. Natsu would just challenge him again or something.

Krono
October 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
I think the S class mages said "I won't hold back" merely trying to bluff and intimidate the candidates so they would fight more seriosly. Cuz honestly I don't think the S class mages are allowed to beat the candidates like really bad with serious injuries. I for one believe Makarov would have some kind of rules for the S class mages participating refering to the fights. Like for example, perhaps after a certain time fighting or after a certain amount of injuries they should stop fighting or either let the participants pass. Thats just a thought.

Well, what Gildartz said was "You know how I hate holding back.", and what Mirajane said was "Don't expect me to go easy on you just because you're my little brother." Neither of those is quite the same as saying "I won't hold back." Gildartz's seems to have been more of a warning that he wasn't going to be very good at dialing his power down to something not utterly devastating. Mirajane's, well, there's there's a big difference between not going easy, and not holding back. Going easy is what Fried and Bixlow did for Cana and Lucy as part of their plan to throw the fight. One can not do that, and still not be giving a 100%. And Erza said nothing regarding holding back.

I say I think they're mainly fighting defensively because neither Gildartz, nor Erza seemed to be taking the offense. Gildartz just stood in one place and counter attacked every time Natsu attacked. Erza wasn't pressing her attack while Juvia was recovering from her attacks being repelled. Plus Mirajane appears to be waiting for Elfman to start things.

On a related note, it'll be a lovely bit of poetic justice if Elfman fails here, and Natsu and Juvia manage to advance. The two paths he wrote off as impossible succeed, and his sister's path which he underestimated eliminates him.

Red Hannya
October 19, 2010, 09:03 PM
i bet mira use a basilisk fusion and will null petrify, so evergreen eye contact won't stand a chance against her

and chibi natsus are so kawaii <333

elitefox
October 19, 2010, 09:44 PM
Yea, I'm anti-Natsu on this one. Every other group is at lest taking this seriously. Natsu really isn't. He takes a partner that worthless in fighting and it now pitted against the second strongest in the guild. Him becoming an s class or even wining the fight is really out of place.

Maybe just a hit on Gildartz will make him win the fight lol... that is may somewhat the rules of the fight lol that Gildartz is trying to say but with Natzu's overexcitement he just attacks.

Gildartz got no scratch at all lol with all those attacks that pierces through what suppose to be S-class dark mage :D

Yashie
October 20, 2010, 01:35 AM
Maybe just a hit on Gildartz will make him win the fight lol... that is may somewhat the rules of the fight lol that Gildartz is trying to say but with Natzu's over excitement he just attacks.

Natsu doesn't even have to win, you know. He just needs to get past. Granted, Gildartz isn't gonna let him through, but ... its possible.

Bhoot
October 20, 2010, 09:53 AM
Natsu doesn't even have to win, you know. He just needs to get past. Granted, Gildartz isn't gonna let him through, but ... its possible.

uh u actually think its in Natsu's character to abandon a fight?? i mean he'd much rather get beat up than run [he is like the silent Elfman here]

kkck
October 20, 2010, 11:34 AM

The door from lucy's room only opened when they seemingly defeated the enemy team though. If the logic is the same for the fight against the s-class mages then natsu should have to win or at the very least gildarts should give up.

elitefox
October 20, 2010, 07:41 PM
I was saying that

Gildartz is trying to state the rules for him to get past
but instead of listening, Natsu attacks already... very not S-class mage

OldSkOoL
October 20, 2010, 08:51 PM
If it comes down to actually defeating their S-classed opponents then none of the teams will pass in my opinion, but until we know the exact rules we can only speculate.

Riyuki
October 20, 2010, 08:56 PM
Come on guys, Gildarts himself already tells us that Natsu is going to pass on the last panel.

"This is the first time... an opponent has approached me in that state.."

I'm pretty sure this is a big clue that Natsu has the determination to never give up and to always keep pushing forward no matter what the cost.... even being turned into a bunch of tiny natsu's he still believes that he will win this fight because of things he needs to no matter what which is only possible if he reaches S class. I guarantee Natsu will pass because of never giving up... and because of plotkai lol.

Yashie
October 20, 2010, 09:35 PM
Come on guys, Gildarts himself already tells us that Natsu is going to pass on the last panel.

"This is the first time... an opponent has approached me in that state.."

I'm pretty sure this is a big clue that Natsu has the determination to never give up and to always keep pushing forward no matter what the cost.... even being turned into a bunch of tiny natsu's he still believes that he will win this fight because of things he needs to no matter what which is only possible if he reaches S class. I guarantee Natsu will pass because of never giving up... and because of plotkai lol.

It's like Makarov said in the initial chapters : It's all about the "heart" and "spirit" Like how Magic is not a miracle, and when you have the spirit, you're strong. Possibly Gildartz will just let Natsu past, because of his spirit.

Riyuki
October 20, 2010, 11:06 PM
It would be hilarious if Happy flew away and didn't know 1 of the Natsu's was on him and they somehow made it to the 2nd part since Gildarts didn't know a natsu was on happy XD!!

Yashie
October 21, 2010, 01:31 AM
It would be hilarious if Happy flew away and didn't know 1 of the Natsu's was on him and they somehow made it to the 2nd part since Gildarts didn't know a natsu was on happy XD!!

That ain't happening for 2 reasons

1.Happy would never abandon Natsu
2.Mini-Natsu would never run out like that... it ain't in his character. He'll want to stay and bash up Gildartz.

OldSkOoL
October 21, 2010, 05:56 PM
it ain't in his character. He'll want to stay and bash up Gildartz.

That's why I can't see Natsu passing, he isn't strong enough to defeat Gildartz. If Gildartz lets him pass though will he choose to go through without winning? Doesn't seem Natsuish

Lee-tyme7
October 21, 2010, 08:14 PM
Oh yea, I can see Guildartz calling it quit due to his uncontrollable magics. Guildartz will say something like how he don't want to kill Natsu and this is only a test so he take off knowing Natsu won't accept it. XD

Bobbina
October 21, 2010, 08:16 PM
If the mages couldn't beat the S-classes, then they aren't worthy of S-class, as i said. Think about it. There are two people, and against an S-class, in order to become as good and powerful as one, u must be able to tie with one, and since there are 2, that means u should be able to beat them. Im just applying logic. True, i dont think they can beat em either, but it makes sense. But the chapter title of the next chapter, "In order to proceed down this path" I guess Gildartz will explain some rules, hinting that he doesn't need to be defeated. But i seriously think Natsu would go mad and fight him. Although..... when he attacked Gildartz and Gildartz smashed him in the ceiling, Natsu said "Whoa" and smiled. I guess it is unlikely, but POSSIBLE that Natsu pasts without winning, but i still think his Mini forms may help defeat Gildartz, other wise, there might not be a point in him being split.

elitefox
October 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
If the mages couldn't beat the S-classes, then they aren't worthy of S-class, as i said. Think about it. There are two people, and against an S-class, in order to become as good and powerful as one, u must be able to tie with one, and since there are 2, that means u should be able to beat them. Im just applying logic. True, i dont think they can beat em either, but it makes sense. But the chapter title of the next chapter, "In order to proceed down this path" I guess Gildartz will explain some rules, hinting that he doesn't need to be defeated. But i seriously think Natsu would go mad and fight him. Although..... when he attacked Gildartz and Gildartz smashed him in the ceiling, Natsu said "Whoa" and smiled. I guess it is unlikely, but POSSIBLE that Natsu pasts without winning, but i still think his Mini forms may help defeat Gildartz, other wise, there might not be a point in him being split.

I wonder what if one of the mini natsu died?

what will happen :eyeroll

Ziero
October 21, 2010, 09:17 PM
I can't really see Natsu passing this test with a clear victory. Natsu imho doesn't have the raw power of an S-class mage. He's close but not quite able to break the plateau. If he eats something like the aetherion or something equivalent he can certainly boost his power enough to match or even surpass S-rank but not in his base state. Also I wonder what the scar on his neck is from thats shown on the cover page. It might of been shown before but I never saw it till this chapter.

xErzaScarlet
October 21, 2010, 09:19 PM
Gildartz cant control his power , so probably he'll let him go but Natsu wont give up .
I wonder what will happen next but its quite impossible to even touch Gildartz .
Even Happy knows it . Haha .
And i want to see Wendy in action . shes so CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE doing that dragon breath .

OldSkOoL
October 21, 2010, 09:26 PM
To be fair to Natsu Gildartz is technically a SS Class mage...

Ravis
October 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
Gildartz not controlling his magic is kinda known, Why elts would the guild make a system that separates the entire town.

Yashie
October 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
Gildartz not controlling his magic is kinda known, Why elts would the guild make a system that separates the entire town.

That's not lack of control! that's FORGETTING to control. Guy has a daydreaming habit, so he just doesn't remembe he's supposed to control his power. lol :D

Lee-tyme7
October 22, 2010, 12:41 AM

It's true that they should be able to beat at least an S-Class mage if they ever want to be one but everyone is different in their own way.
From the the looks of things those who got match with the S-class battle suddenly doesn't look very good for them.
Do you really think that Jubia & Lisanna can beat Erza? or Elfman & Evergreen can beat Mira? Let alone Natsu by himself against Guildartz.
Now Natsu battle look like it can go both ways but everyone else I can't see them winning their matches.

xErzaScarlet
October 22, 2010, 05:54 AM
Not really . S-Class does not mean they have the same strength .
compare Erza and Mirajane , both are S-Class and Strong , but does not mean they will have a draw in battle . There is Weak-S-Class , and a Strong-S-Class category though .

ca12nag3
October 22, 2010, 02:32 PM
S-Class means they are able to do S-class missions. In other words able to survive m. Remember that Mira took Elfman and Lisanna on a S-Class? Well result is Lisanna (nearly) died. So S-class missions should be done by S-class only i think.

But being able to do those missions doesnt say your strong smart or fast or w/e more then a non S-Class.
It just says your good enough with your combined skills to manage it. Be it inteligence or strength or the combination of it. Actualy a S-Class can lose in battle of a non S-class.

Drakk707
October 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
Not really . S-Class does not mean they have the same strength .
compare Erza and Mirajane , both are S-Class and Strong , but does not mean they will have a draw in battle . There is Weak-S-Class , and a Strong-S-Class category though .

^ Well according to that then I think the S-Class mages can be ranked like this:

Erza (Most adaptable magic in the Guild)= Super Strong
Mira (Most savage magic in the Guild) = Super Strong
Gildartz (Most destructive magic in the Guild) = RUN! RUN AT THE SIGHT OF THIS MAN!

ca12nag3
October 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
^ Well according to that then I think the S-Class mages can be ranked like this:

Erza (Most adaptable magic in the Guild)= Super Strong
Mira (Most savage magic in the Guild) = Super Strong
Gildartz (Most destructive magic in the Guild) = RUN AT THE SIGHT OF THIS MAN!

Not exactly. remember the demon island arc? They all were clueless as to what caused the so called transformations. But it was actualy the lens that caused the demons to lose their memory. Erza understood that and then used hers and Natsus power to break it.

I have no doubt both Grey and Natsu could have broken the thing and be home before dinner. But they simply didnt understand the situation. Therefor not matured or grown enough as a mage to be S-Class at that time. Tho Erza was. (same for lucy she didnt get it either)

Bhoot
October 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
Not exactly. remember the demon island arc? They all were clueless as to what caused the so called transformations. But it was actualy the lens that caused the demons to lose their memory. Erza understood that and then used hers and Natsus power to break it.

I have no doubt both Grey and Natsu could have broken the thing and be home before dinner. But they simply didnt understand the situation. Therefor not matured or grown enough as a mage to be S-Class at that time. Tho Erza was. (same for lucy she didnt get it either)

What do u mean by mature ?? They lacked Experience not Maturity .

And apart from that , both of them are nearly at the birk of become S-class . But at the same time , there are mages who deserve the title more [Fired for example , but he forfeit , but still u have maybe Mest i m gonna guess]

ca12nag3
October 22, 2010, 03:04 PM
i was talking in past tense. They always act like little kids and go in head first into trouble. That gets you killed in a S-Class mission. So yeah matured ;)

Drakk707
October 22, 2010, 03:06 PM

Even though my post was directed to someone else (fixed) How does that contradicts what I stated? :blink

ca12nag3
October 22, 2010, 03:31 PM
Even though my post was directed to someone else (fixed) How does that contradicts what I stated? :blink

Cause you cannot compare the magic they use. You could scale the characters overall defence/attack/range capabilities perhaps but they arnt savagely strongest or something :P

If i were to scale a character of fairy tail

Strength 1-10
Defence 1-10
attackpower 1-10
closerange 1-10
longrange 1-10
intelligence 1-10

and list their handycaps and benifits. as in fire beats ice, water beaths fire etc etc
Erza with her many armors gainst a defence bonus against most oponents, yet i dont see her having that many attack capabilities. (rain down on me with fire but its true shes mostly defencive)

Mira with her flight ability has extra speed etc and her powers are mainly on the attack.

LoS
October 22, 2010, 03:53 PM
Why are so many people spouting off about stuff they clearly don't know the answer to, seriously, nothing about being S-class has been revealed other than who the members have been during the series, and that it takes a test to become an S-class.

Stop coming up with requirements and whatnot, it's all just conjecture. We can do that all day till the cows come home.

ca12nag3
October 22, 2010, 03:56 PM
well we have some power indication of the fights with erza,mira and laxus? But well see when we have more idea on it.

ghostexiled
October 22, 2010, 05:26 PM
Guys... this is said each week. The chapter will be released this weekend sometime. Please stop asking this question. If there is any change from the normal weekend release... it will be stated.

Mangastream states the time of release is Friday between 11:00 and 23:59.

This is, of course, the English version that I referring too.

Thanks!

Bhoot
October 22, 2010, 10:47 PM
Guys... this is said each week. The chapter will be released this weekend sometime. Please stop asking this question. If there is any change from the normal weekend release... it will be stated.

Mangastream states the time of release is Friday between 11:00 and 23:59.

This is, of course, the English version that I referring too.

Thanks!

The problem is that its Saturday right now , so it should have been out . But still no news .

LoS
October 22, 2010, 11:04 PM
It's not Saturday in America. They usually release it between very late Friday-Noon Saturday. Eastern Standard Time US.

just chill

Zatono
October 22, 2010, 11:35 PM
Right, but it is a little unusual not to have any spoilers, isn't it? Oh well, when I wake up it'll probably be out so there's no problem. As for next chapter, I'd assume Natsu is going to still do no damage to Gildartz.

ghostexiled
October 22, 2010, 11:44 PM
about a year ago the company that publishes Fairy Tail sent "Cease and Decease" letters to any site that was providing any type of spoilers of the series and others that the company represented.

So in other words... no actual spoilers have been provided since.

The chapter will be here when it gets here... asking why it is not here yet... is not going to make it magically appear. So please stop!

Anymore post that are asking about this matter will be deleted and the thread will be closed.

Thanks!

Newkerzy
October 23, 2010, 11:26 AM
New chapter out:
http://www.mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/91156309/1

Gildartz going into super Saiyan Mode and displaying his killer intent was EPIC!!! It's no wonder everyone in the guild fear and respect him.

Oh yeah..... HOLY CRAP!!! Mashima's gonna do 3 chapters ALL AT ONCE??!! GOOD LORD!!! this puts him on Kishi and Oda's level of epicness!! From now on, it won't be the "Big 3" but instead the "Big 4"

Zatono
October 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
Holy hot damn. Natsu just got put down with killing intent, and Gildartz really, really showed his "Gale Raregroove" side with that dark look he had. What a badass.

Mashiro_Luna
October 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
Awesome chapter but the best part had to be that next week we get three chapters. And the first one is titles Mest so we will get to know more about him. Probably one chapter of finishing this round up, one chapter of everyone seeing who passed and finding out what the next round is and then the last chapter will be the begining of round two.

Krono
October 23, 2010, 11:56 AM
about a year ago the company that publishes Fairy Tail sent "Cease and Decease" letters to any site that was providing any type of spoilers of the series and others that the company represented.

So in other words... no actual spoilers have been provided since.

The chapter will be here when it gets here... asking why it is not here yet... is not going to make it magically appear. So please stop!

Anymore post that are asking about this matter will be deleted and the thread will be closed.

Thanks!

Actually what they sent C&D letters about was sites hosting raw scans of chapters, not spoiler pics. We haven't gotten spoilers because the first thing Fairy Tail usually gets is a raw scan. We haven't already gotten a raw for this chapter, because it's not in stores until next wednesday, and short of finding someone with early access, raws don't show up until monday/tuesday at the earliest.

monkey D luffy
October 23, 2010, 12:03 PM
so who is the idiot said gildarts is gonna be a fodder? natsu actually cried just from megical power gildarts released. there is no way natsu can stand up to a real dragon, and whats more it seems like every bad guy till now was really a fodder way below the level of an exceptional s class. hell i think that in the case of all the guild (minus makarov) vs gildarts, gildarts win. he seems way more powerfull then laxus, mira, mistgun and erza combined

Me2Ecchi
October 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
Nice chapter... btw it looks like Mashima is fire on, releasing 3 chapter in a row next issue. Would be nice if that happened with One Piece to :)

Ero-Sanji
October 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Wonderful!

Mashima handled it perfectly, he made Natsu proceed while keeping Gildartz dignity. Next chapters is named Mest, how about some flashback and background story?

maravish
October 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
I think he probably is. I mean, who so far in this manga has beaten natsu simply by magical power/killing intent? Hes insanely strong.

kkck
October 23, 2010, 12:17 PM
Holy crap, this was awesome..... This is not quite something I expected. For the first time in his life natsu was in a fight and not only there was not a sliver of a chance to defeat his enemy but he knew that was the case. Natsu quite literally fell in tears. I was waiting to see what sort of purpose happy would serve in battle however I think I know. Next chapter happy will walk in with a diaper and give natsu a change considering right now natsu probably had every conceivable bodily fluid and solid in him scared out of him.

I was a little disappointed, when I say grey in the cover I thought he would appear in this chapter. It was still and awesome chapter though. Next chapter is called mest... I guess we get to see a bit of him. If the next chapter is called mest though, there is no way mashima would give him the easy path. In that sense, mest is likely to get in a fight against someone. I don't see gazille losing so early in the fight so it is likely mest will beat the crap out of loki and grey. That would serve as a good plot device to give lucy back control over loki and one of his stronger and more reliable spirits (well, IMO loki is not reliable in the least though, he did not appear during the edolas arc and he did not fight for lucy recently).
[hr]
I think we know more about the tests though. Against the s-class mages passing is not a matter of merely defeating the enemy but rather also getting the s-class mage to approve of you. Basically, you either defeat him in battle or have him approve of you as an s-class mage.

Arrogance
October 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
Chapter was amazing. Gildartz went super saiyan and it was sweet :hurr.

Jokes aside, I really like what Gildartz was doing. We had our nice dosage of chibi Natsu attacks at the beginning for some comedy and then things are got serious. Its amazing the power Gildratz has. All he does is raise it up and we actually see Natsu shaking in his boots and crying for the first time of his life. I guess the whole point of these first fights isn't really just tournament fighting but for the S-class mage to test you in whatever way they see fitting. I guess the bright side to this is that Mashima won't sacrifice the status and power of any of the S-Class mages as much by making them physically lose in order to let people move on. Plus I Gildartz said at the end that you can fight me again, so I hope thats a promise for a legit rematch in the future when Natsu becomes more skilled :).

As for next week we are getting 3 chapters in one release :oh....thats amazing!!!! :faint

biron
October 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
BEST_FT_CHAPTER_EVER
to my suprise mashima handled this on odas level
its time for natsu to get serious and to know his limits or he will be rendered to dust one of those times
also gildartz looked a lot like mira when we first saw her transformation

Riyuki
October 23, 2010, 12:59 PM
Hell yea this chapter was awesome. Natsu passes to the next round!! I'm sure Mest will as well.

Sollum
October 23, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hehe, so S fight was luck also :>

Tho somehow i doubt Elf will get to the lucky part, since he is fighting against his sis, i doubt she'll want him to do dangerous stuff.

The 3 chapters in 1 thingy is epic!!!!!! epic!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. 3 chapters of Mest... oh boy... i smell flashback!

kkck
October 23, 2010, 02:11 PM
^not luck.... Gildarts tested natsu's power and deemed it worthy. More importantly, he tested natsu's character. Natsu did not have a sliver of the power Gildarts has however he met the basic standards required for Gildarts to deem him a worthy S-class mage. This isn't luck, it is natsu meeting a standard that was set for him. It's not like not having Gildart's power means you can't be an s-class mage.

Lee-tyme7
October 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
Wait, so the test was fear?...Anybody can just get scare facing that guy so I think it just doesn't make sense. Why have them fight with power and strength? If he'd explained that this test was meant for Natsu and the reason they fought was to prove the gap of power between the two, then maybe that would make more sense.

But yeah this chapter was indeed awsome. It was heart-breaking to see Natsu admit defeat like that. As the hero of this manga we wanted him to win and it's only that we kept thinking he will win it hurts even us when he loses but everything turn out good in the end and he did manage to pass. Hurray Natsu!

Bhoot
October 23, 2010, 02:40 PM
Epic chapter . Seriously worth the wait especially the news of 3 chapters next week .

Loved the Mini Natsu fighting Gilly for some comic relief followed by a complete change in atmosphere . Goddamit ... never expected Natsu to give up let alone cry . This shows something called character development .

I dunno , i m beginning to think all of the matched were planned by Marakov . I mean it is a island with high reference [maybe owned] by a mage guild , Fairy Tale . I mean all the competitors seem to be being shown their weaknesses and testing if they can overcome it . And i also Assume all S-class are considered leaders of the guild members and so they were made to face their biggest problems.
Example :

Juvia against Erza who can neutralise water attacks with sea king armor . She has a handicap of relying completely on water abilities . She is being tested if she can actually rise over this weakness to attack Erza [I am gonna guess if she can't do it , but still wins with Lissane's help somehow , she still might be held back]

Then Elfman is being tested if required , if he can fight his own family members [or maybe if he can just hit a girl (especially if its his sister)]

Natsu was tested if he was just too hardheaded to realize when he was beat and hence not know when to do a strategic retreat [sometimes a retreat is the best solution , fighting head on is at time completely stupid] And maybe to show Natsu he needs to get stronger too .

Then , Cana went against Fried , now this i m guessing was a test more for Fried than Cana (Notice how i tend to not use the comrades name coz they i m gonna guess are there in case some wizards might be more proficient in team attacks / strategic / synchronized attacks / buffing (maybe for future Sky DS) so it would be troublesome for them to fight w/o a partner [so just to level the field])

sarutobi_sensei
October 23, 2010, 02:42 PM
GOD! Even I a reader got scared of him on that moment. He was like Super Sayajin Gildartz. The looks in his eyes was just plain scary.

YEY! Natsu passed :D

3 Chapters @ once: DAMN EPIC! Triple good things on the weekend :D

Mest and Wendy vs Gray and Loki. I wanna see it :D (That's what I believe).

Crazy thing was crazy x)

Krono
October 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
It's not like not having Gildart's power means you can't be an s-class mage.

Yeah, people seem to forget that while Gildartz is S-Class, he's far from being average S-Class. Erza, Luxus, and Mystogan were all roughly equal. Natsu's power is just barely in range of defeating them alone. Gildartz's power is so terrifyingly above theirs that for the first time Natsu realized that not only was his opponent stronger than him, but that he could not win.

That doesn't mean the others are weak. Gildartz is just that exceptionally powerful. An attack that pushes him back would likely be the end of 80% of the other mages out there and be a serious blow for another 10-15 percent. Plenty powerful enough to qualify for S-Class.

kkck
October 23, 2010, 03:15 PM
Saying the test was fear in the ugly way of putting it. Gildarts was testing whether natsu had it in him to know his limitations and withdraw himself from a fight he knows he can't win. He wanted natsu to recognize his own weakness. This chapter we actually got to see a side of natsu we had never seen before. Regardless of how strong the enemies had been so far natsu always had recklessly continued fighting and it somehow miraculously worked out. Had natsu kept that attitude here he would have shown that he was a reckless fool that did not know his own strength nor he knew when to stop fighting. As gildarts said, knowing your own weakness makes you grow into a kinda person. He needed to know natsu had the maturity to acknowledge he was way over his head. If this fight really had an impact on natsu then from now on we might see him even thinking a tad more through his fights rather than merely overpowering the enemy through power or luck.
[hr]

Yeah, people seem to forget that while Gildartz is S-Class, he's far from being average S-Class. Erza, Luxus, and Mystogan were all roughly equal. Natsu's power is just barely in range of defeating them alone. Gildartz's power is so terrifyingly above theirs that for the first time Natsu realized that not only was his opponent stronger than him, but that he could not win.

That doesn't mean the others are weak. Gildartz is just that exceptionally powerful. An attack that pushes him back would likely be the end of 80% of the other mages out there and be a serious blow for another 10-15 percent. Plenty powerful enough to qualify for S-Class.
Based on what we have seen, I don't really think erza's and mira's power is that close to luxus and mistgun. IMO either of them is quite stronger than the two girls although not necessarily to the point where they'd have easy fights. I see things like this:
1.-gildarts
2.-luxus-mistgun
3.-erza
3.5.- mira

Gildarts is quite a bit stronger than those in number 2. As we saw, luxus was never able to intimidate natsu with the sheer amount of magic he posseses. Basically, even with the difference in power and the clear intent to thoroughly beat the crap out of him natsu could still see a chance of victory. Worth noting, when luxus actually took natsu's strongest attack he fell before it. On the other hand the same attack did not really hurt gildarts. Quite a difference IMO.

Mira has been without fighting for a while now, for that reason I think she is a bit below erza although they should still be close enough. IMO though, natsu should be capable of fighting evenly with either of them when he gets serious. Erza is strong but natsu's magic is meant to ultimately trash dragons. Armor's and demon's armor or skin should not be a problem in the long run. In turn, natsu's and gazille's fight with luxus is prove of how far away they are from him.
[hr]

Next week's chapter is gonna rock!! 65 pages!

Note that it is 3 chapters though, not 1 long ass chapter. Next week is gonna be awesome and nothing can change that. In OP the strawhats finally set sail for the NW, kabuto made his move in naruto, BLEACH IS BACK and 3 FUCKING CHAPTERS OF FAIRY TAIL. The week is so full of win I can't even fathom it.

Arrogance
October 23, 2010, 03:25 PM
^not luck.... Gildarts tested natsu's power and deemed it worthy. More importantly, he tested natsu's character. Natsu did not have a sliver of the power Gildarts has however he met the basic standards required for Gildarts to deem him a worthy S-class mage. This isn't luck, it is natsu meeting a standard that was set for him. It's not like not having Gildart's power means you can't be an s-class mage.
Right, we seem to be getting the true meaning behind this matchups right now and the overall test to be an S-Class mage. Its not necessarily power but character and the traits or a person as well. For Gildartz, he saw Natsu as worthy not because he could out power him but because he could recognize fear. One way I look at it is if one can recognize fear in appropriate moments then you are a smarter person overall because you won't mindlessly charge into any dangerous situation. It goes to show us that as much as Natsu as seemed mindless in the past, it was more that he has a strong will and belief in himself to succeed. BUT even Natsu isn't stupid and was able to recognize this situation as being beyond his limit. And for Natsu to be an S-Class mage this is something he needs, and Gildartz recognized that and approved of that.

Sollum
October 23, 2010, 03:44 PM
^not luck.... Gildarts tested natsu's power and deemed it worthy...

That's why i called it luck.

Let me quote myself

Also Makarov mentioned "luck", it has to be something more than just one "free" path.

The fact that it was a test, not a beat down. Those who go to test themselves unprepared depend on luck. It was that moment when Natsu raised his fist, would he have attacked, he would have lost, yet he stopped and thus won.

I think that Juvias "test" will be "save or not to save Lisana?" and probably right answer will be not to save >.>

kkck
October 23, 2010, 04:12 PM
I still don't see what luck you are talking about. Natsu was allowed to pass due to the qualities he showed during the fight. There was not much of an element of chance, either natsu had or did not have what he was being tested for. Gildarts even went a little harder on natsu that he should have(he said before he showed natsu his power that by then he would normally have let natsu pass by then). That said, I don't think all of the other fights will be like natsu's. Erza or mira are not nearly as strong as gildarts, perhaps they would indeed demand to be defeated or at least matched in combat (thing which natsu would have been able to do and it would also be realistic for the other teams to pull).

mq1986
October 23, 2010, 04:18 PM
Part of what makes me really like Fairy Tail is that it always emphasizes that strength comes from kindness, gentleness, knowing fear, wanting to protect people--it's quite different from many manga where the purpose is always to strengthen your abilities for the sake of defeating someone. I've always liked Natsu as a protagonist because unlike the other male prodigies that make main characters of other manga, he usually wins from actual support from his friends rather than an ever-increasing amount of power from his end. I really, really appreciate that. That's why I thought this chapter was very touching; good for everybody.

Castriota
October 23, 2010, 04:34 PM
hmm i thought gildarts lost his arm to the black dragon? unless thats a prosthetic or somethin i forget.

nonetheless, what a great chapter. thats the first time i've seen natsu actually bow out to someone superior to him. pretty sick. i'm happy natsu wasn't made to roll over gildarts because that would be incredibly shitty.

holy 3 chapter spread next week. does that mean its gonna go on break for a bit after? hopefully some of mest's abilities are shown in the next chapter and not lightly brushed over.

OldSkOoL
October 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
Ah as I thought, Poor Natsu had no chance in hell. Artwork was spectacular and of course Mashina-San had to throw in a panel of fan service ; P

So it seems Mest may have to battle after all. I wonder who he'll get Levy or Gray? Couldn't call it either way. I get the feeling that Levy some how could use her magic to find the quiet path. Whether Gazille would t knowingly take it is another story

Asmoden
October 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
I wonder who is gonna lose in the first round:oh
I mean at least one teem need to be defeated otherwise the test will be meaningless.
Mest,Nazu and Alberona alredy passed (Mest have to pass for plot purposes)

For me the weakest was Alberona and probably Elfman
Team Gray and Levy are equalli balanced
Still Levy without her partner is to weak to become an S class mage.
And how come Evergreen defeated Elfman and still is him to be proposed for S rank level?

wooticus
October 23, 2010, 05:19 PM
@ castriota:

well erza got an artificial eye by polyushak, so it shouldn't be impossible in fairty tail universe to regain a lost arm / organ / leg / whatever.

gildartz ist just awesome, i just want to be back in the arc versus gazilles old guild.. with mistogun, luxus and especially gildartz around. imagine this walking guild-bot everyone was so scared about.. guess gildartz could have just walked by and let it vanish in a big bang

fcToho
October 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
Dragon Slayer Secret Arts: Crimson Lotus: Exploding Flame Blade

That's one long name to shout in a battle. :eyeroll

Well I think you need to categorize your attacks somehow. ;)

But great chapter. After the edolas arc I'm really starting to like Fairy Tail again (I don't think that will happen with bleach, but I'm still following).

Kravmaga
October 23, 2010, 06:02 PM
Dragon Slayer Secret Arts: Crimson Lotus: Exploding Flame Blade

That's one long name to shout in a battle. :eyeroll

Well I think you need to categorize your attacks somehow. ;)

But great chapter. After the edolas arc I'm really starting to like Fairy Tail again (I don't think that will happen with bleach, but I'm still following).

Actually that's the same finishing attack he used against luxus at the end of that arc. I'm somewhat happy Mashima decided to re-use some of those finishing moves like fairy law as opposed to a lot of shounens where protagonists' super moves are a current-themed one-use-only thing...

3c
October 23, 2010, 06:03 PM
This chapter was superb in it's own right. I gotta say I would have never thought Gildartz would turn out this powerful, he made Natsu chicken out, Natsu of all people by just releasing energy and killer intent? What the... It's not like Natsu hasn't been up against absurdly powerful foes before, but he couldn't even bare to fight a serious Gildartz? Seriously it sucks for Fairy Tail that he's been gone so long, he could have single-handedly taken care of all their troubles up to now.

And three chapters next week? Holy shit Mashima rocks. If only WSJ authors could do the same from time to time~

Zatono
October 23, 2010, 06:47 PM
^Agreed. Gildartz could of solo'd every arc in Fairy Tail so far, including fighting all the Oracion Seis.

-Ken-
October 23, 2010, 07:11 PM
S classes of Fairy Tail are just so high up through. Elfman beat an S-class mage who's name escape me in Phantom Guild, and Gray also beat Juvia. Elfman's part also beat Elfman himself, so she's in the S-class power for sure. Fried was also S-class for being stronger than her. There already seem to be much mages who is on S-class 'average power' in Fairy Tail. They just haven't be named S-class yet. My point is that anyone, except Levi, can pass the test and still be on pair with S-class from other guild.

LoS
October 23, 2010, 07:20 PM
My point is that anyone, except Levi, can pass the test and still be on pair with S-class from other guild.

You don't know this, period. From what we have seen thus far, this is correct. But we have not seen the top tier of Tartaros, nor Raventail, nor the 3rd member of the Ballam Alliance. Pure conjecture on your part. Also, none of the above you listed were on Jura's level, for being an S-class mage.

Bowser
October 23, 2010, 07:29 PM
HOLY S---

3 Chapters :D

http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/91156309/11

Dammnnn this face is beastly. Sheer killing intent there, loved this chapter.

-Ken-
October 23, 2010, 07:43 PM
You don't know this, period. From what we have seen thus far, this is correct. But we have not seen the top tier of Tartaros, nor Raventail, nor the 3rd member of the Ballam Alliance. Pure conjecture on your part. Also, none of the above you listed were on Jura's level, for being an S-class mage.

Jura's one of ten top mage of the continent. I know the it's from what the counsel 'regonized'. But at least it should be able to set some line for the stronger of the S-class. he's not your average S-class for sure.

We can only look at other mage for now. And the only non-fairytail S-class that we saw are from Phantom guild. So my statement is at least true from what we've seen so far.

LoS
October 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
that's why I said, "thus far."

I'm not picking on you, it's just that since last week's chapter it seems far too many posters are coming up with assumptions(which they are labeling as truth) for far too many things. Like last week's thread dissolved into posters stating the strength/purpose of the test et al. When all we know thus far has clearly been illustrated for us. The purpose of the test was, once again, clearly laid out by Makarov. Those who are shocked that Natsu didn't have to beat Gildartz to advance simply didn't read the chapter. It is obviously stated in the text.

The big revelation for this chapter is the difference between our run of the mill S-class Fairy Tail mages in Erza/Mira and an SS-class mage in Gildartz. That and Gildartz actually providing a learning lesson for Natsu. Since, as he clearly stated, Natsu possesses the required strength to become an S-class mage, but he lacked the restraint.

Now, whether or not the others possess the strength is a question. Levy clearly doesn't, but as we have seen, other qualities such as "heart" can allow her to move on.

ssj4jw
October 23, 2010, 08:00 PM
If 3 three chapters coming out next week does that mean that there is going to be a break? I can see a good cliffhanger next week.

Lee-tyme7
October 23, 2010, 08:07 PM
when will the FT special about Natsu & Happy's home come out? I thought it was suppose to be out the Oct 20 or is it Nov 20?

LoS
October 23, 2010, 08:11 PM
I can see a good cliffhanger next week.

I'm sure there will be a juicy one, but even if it is anti climatic I will be satisfied if it is the resolution of the first phase of the test. That way the very next chapter is an explanation of the second phase of the test.

-Ken-
October 23, 2010, 08:35 PM
I'll be surprised if Levy does pass the first round. The only way I saw her passing is that she got the quiet path, which is a bit lame. But 'luck' is a part of S requirement, so it's entirely possible.

On the next week, it'll be one awesome weekend right after the midterm XD. I can't wait already.

xErzaScarlet
October 23, 2010, 09:10 PM
Mest is out soon , so i cant wait to see him in action .
As for Gildartz , he is super cool . He didnt even move and he has made Natsu cry in front of him . Thats really strong . I wonder if Gildartz appear Orachion Seis chapter , there would be much more of a uproar .

tobeulp
October 23, 2010, 09:30 PM
I love this great chapter Gildartz really make Natsu piss his pants off... Even Erza,Laxus and Mira combine will be nomatch against Gildartz... I think this arc is for setting up an epic arc next

Krono
October 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
that's why I said, "thus far."

I'm not picking on you, it's just that since last week's chapter it seems far too many posters are coming up with assumptions(which they are labeling as truth) for far too many things. Like last week's thread dissolved into posters stating the strength/purpose of the test et al. When all we know thus far has clearly been illustrated for us. The purpose of the test was, once again, clearly laid out by Makarov. Those who are shocked that Natsu didn't have to beat Gildartz to advance simply didn't read the chapter. It is obviously stated in the text.

In their defense, Makarov did say they would need to defeat an S-Class mage to proceed. It was speculated that they'd be holding back, and they clearly were fighting on the defensive. But given the difference in power between Gildartz, and everyone else, it's not all that surprising that the conditions for defeat might be a bit different. In his case apparently just forcing him back was considered enough to pass.

Now, whether or not the others possess the strength is a question. Levy clearly doesn't, but as we have seen, other qualities such as "heart" can allow her to move on.

Personally I suspect that Levi's strength is underrated. We've never actually seen her fight. Her power doesn't lend itself to big attacks, but it does lend itself to being versatile. Her team being surprised and wiped out by Gajeel isn't exactly a big mark against her power, and we later see Elfman berating Jet and Droy for getting knocked out and leaving Levi to finish the mission alone. Other than that, and Fried's barriers we don't have too much to indicate how good she actually is.

iamtenninja
October 23, 2010, 10:03 PM
I don't remember which page was Levi's guild card but I do remember that she has the ability to write words out and then attack with them. (Writing hot would make the word 'hot' physically appear and also take on the attributes I believe)

Thus I can only hope Levi attacks her opponents with killer vocabulary.

maravish
October 23, 2010, 10:21 PM
How come Gildartz isnt one of the top ten mages?

R3D
October 24, 2010, 12:09 AM
^ Becuz they are afraid of gildartz power of total destruction and dont wanna make him angry if they were ever on a meeting and they know they will lose and be totaly destroyed into nothingness lol

ghostexiled
October 24, 2010, 12:42 AM

You can get the 207 chapter here. (http://mangahelpers.com/m/fairy-tail/chapters/207/)

You can get the 208 chapter here. (http://mangahelpers.com/m/fairy-tail/chapters/208/)

You can get the 209 chapter here. (http://mangahelpers.com/m/fairy-tail/chapters/209/)

http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/31143840/1

http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/99063093/1

http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/52511650/1

MechR
October 24, 2010, 01:16 AM
How come Gildartz isnt one of the top ten mages?The title's at the whim of the Council, so who knows? Maybe he's too prone to random property destruction?

ghostexiled
October 24, 2010, 01:28 AM
Guys please remember NOT to write just one line of text. This also falls under not just writing about how awesome or excited you are for next week's big chapter releases.

This series is getting better and better in my opinion... and to compare it to any other series is undeserved. It is it's own beast.

I can't really state anything that hasn't already been stated by other members... I can agree that it was great to see such character development for Natsu.

This also goes to show that anything is possible and can make total sense in this series.

1st we had Lucy X Cana win by "luck". While also showing Fried X Bixlow lose by showing loyalty and honor to their guild.

Now we are shown that Natsu can be scared and know when it is time to back down. Something that we all thought was something he would never do.

I am excited for next weeks release, not just for the hugeness of it... but for the upcoming development of the remaining characters.

kkck
October 24, 2010, 02:08 AM
I have to say, mashima rocks as a mangaka. Ever since I started reading this manga there is at least a week once a year where more than 1 chapter is released. he makes a lot of omakes too and chapters every now and then the first part of a chapter provides actual relevant information about other mages. He even rarely seems to take breaks unlike kubo, kishi or oda who have a 1 week break every couple of months. heck, we just case out from a 1 month OP break, a 2 week bleach break and kisshi has had at least 1 break a month recently. Heck, even after a one month break all oda gave us was a completely unremarkable 23 page chapter where nothing happened. MASHIMA IS AWESOME!

Luzxia23
October 24, 2010, 02:33 AM
Well, I think Gildartz power is about the level of Phantom's Guild Leader, Jose.. Or even higher, but still no where near Makarov (or I might be wrong)...

As for Natsu, I'm pretty sure he's strength is about the level of Erza.. He's grown stronger and stronger every arc and all Erza did was just taking out most of the "second-strongest villain" in every arc and most of the time she almost lost. While on the other hand, Natsu's the one that defeated most of the "strongest-villain" in every arc.

And for my opinion about Gazeel and Juvia, although the master did say that they can take an "S-Rank Mission", it doesn't mean that they're equal to the "S-Class Mage".. I think, Makarov thinks that Gazeel and Juvia knows what to do and expect in a "S-Rank Mission", through their experience in Phantom..

And Jura... I think he's about the same level as Luxus.. After all, he can take out a member of Oraceion-Seis without that much effort and he's the weakest member of the 10 Holy Mages (if I'm not mistaken), indicating Jose is stronger than him.. And since I think Gildartz is about the level of Jose, means that Gildarts is stronger than him... And I bet Gildartz is stronger than Gerard(Jellal) and Zero(Brain) (who were defeated by Natsu's "Dragon-Force", which makes him few times stronger than he normally is)

Addition: Anyone remember Lily? I think in his (her(?)) original form he's at least as strong as Erza or stronger.. Since we know that in Edoras, he's rank is higher than Erza Nightwalker (which might indicate that he's stronger than Erza Nightwalker).. And Erza Scarlet fought Nightwalker, and they almost draw... So if Lily's in original form, he should be a S-Rank Mage...

So if I were to rank the Mages of Fairy Tail and give number to their magic power is:
1. Makarov - 1,000,000 MP (Magic Power)
2. Gildartz - 700,000 MP
3. Luxus (Ex- Member) - 350,000 MP
3.5. Mistgun (?, not sure, maybe lower or higher, but stronger than Erza, since he could put her to sleep with his magic) (Ex- Member) - 250,000 MP or 300,000 MP
4. Erza , Lily (Original Form) - 200,000 MP
5. Mirajane - 185,000 MP (Because she hasn't been fighting for about 2 years. And if she didn't lost any of her power, she should be as strong as Erza, but then Erza's grown stronger in every arc due to the fights)
6. Natsu, Mest (?) (I think he's at least as strong as Natsu, or even stronger) - 185,000 MP or 195,000 MP
6.5. Gazeel - 180,000 MP or 185,000 MP
7. Gray - 175,000 MP or 180,000 MP
7.5. Fried - 165,000 MP or 170,000 MP
8. Juvia, Elfman, Cana (?), Lucy, Evergreen, Bixlow - 150,000 MP
9. Lisanna, Levy, Wendy - 100,000 MP
10. Jet, Droy, and the rest of the known member should have about the same power - 50,000 MP

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST! >,<

Bhoot
October 24, 2010, 03:36 AM

Gonna assume the 100 year quest was more important to complete than being part of / trying to take become a part of the top 10 [Maybe he just got bored and didnt try] or maybe we just have no seen how strong the other mages are

And for the guy above , Lily is not as strong as Erza , he was going toe to toe with Gazeel , so take him down the list

Yashie
October 24, 2010, 03:43 AM
OKay, This was the BEST ever chapter I've ever read, so far. Mashima rocked it out. My favorite would be the tiny Natsus tugging on Gildartz face :P LOL

But ... Here's a question. Even when Makarov went berserk in the Phantom Arc, I don't think he was as terrible as Gildartz. Does this mean, perhaps, Gildartz is stronger?
I never thought Natsu would 1) Cry and 2) Admit defeat ... Even when facing people like Luxus, or Oracion Seis, or Gerard he never has ... does this Make Gildartz stronger than all those people?

ghostexiled
October 24, 2010, 03:54 AM
^You gotta remember that Makrov is a bit older than Gildartz is, so he may not be able to use the kinda power he once had when he was Gildartz age.

Seems almost every time Makrov does use any type of serious power... it always has a bad side effect.

Also there is a difference between having raw power and not knowing how to properly use it (Like Gildartz claims he has) and having power but knowing how to use it (Like Makrov seems to know how to do).

dqrt
October 24, 2010, 04:39 AM
Hey guys, one thing that bugs me is, didn't gildartz lose an arm during the 100 years old quest? I think it was when we saw gildartz for the first time (when they move the town into a anti gildartz destruction tactic or sth like that). I remember him showing natsu some kinda wounds and natsu getting all pissed off 'cause he won't be able to fight him properly now or sth like that. I may be totally wrong tho :p

I just looked for that chapter and turns out he did lose an arm a leg and an organ:

http://www.mangareader.net/135-44553-15/fairy-tail/chapter-166.html

He stated that he lost an arm but in this week's chapter it shows gildartz with its left arm untouched. so do u guys think he had some sort of transplant like erza had for her eye or is it a mistake?

R3D
October 24, 2010, 04:42 AM
i wonder what kinda dragon slayer the black dragon would have since it gave gildartz so much problems , and do u think that the black haired guy that has everything die around him might have gone through similar traning to gildartz since both their power are about pure destruction/death

Baka_Sousui
October 24, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hey guys, one thing that bugs me is, didn't gildartz lose an arm during the 100 years old quest? I think it was when we saw gildartz for the first time (when they move the town into a anti gildartz destruction tactic or sth like that). I remember him showing natsu some kinda wounds and natsu getting all pissed off 'cause he won't be able to fight him properly now or sth like that. I may be totally wrong tho :p

I just looked for that chapter and turns out he did lose an arm a leg and an organ:

He stated that he lost an arm but in this week's chapter it shows gildartz with its left arm untouched. so do u guys think he had some sort of transplant like erza had for her eye or is it a mistake?

Just a thought that may help things make a little more sense about Gildartz's missing body parts.
Erza lost an eye when she was younger. She should only have one.
I'm pretty sure you can work out the rest. ;)

Yashie
October 24, 2010, 07:23 AM

Yeah but even back then he had a prosthetic metallic arm and leg thing, maybe he just got more refined (though non-magical) ones, or just had them covered up so they match with his normal arm.
He's still awesome, though, what with one arm and one leg missing He can still fight like he did.

tobeulp
October 24, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have to say, mashima rocks as a mangaka. Ever since I started reading this manga there is at least a week once a year where more than 1 chapter is released. he makes a lot of omakes too and chapters every now and then the first part of a chapter provides actual relevant information about other mages. He even rarely seems to take breaks unlike kubo, kishi or oda who have a 1 week break every couple of months. heck, we just case out from a 1 month OP break, a 2 week bleach break and kisshi has had at least 1 break a month recently. Heck, even after a one month break all oda gave us was a completely unremarkable 23 page chapter where nothing happened. MASHIMA IS AWESOME!

Well I can't blame Kubo,Kishi or Oda having a break mainly because their series is the most popular in Shounen but Fairy Tail isn't in that league yet... Fairy Tail isn't not even half many of the chapters of the 3...
But if I will rank shounen I read in the past weeks it will be like this

1. One Piece
2. HSDK
3. Fairy Tail
4. Psyren
5. Naruto
6. Bleach

I just hope Fairy Tail Anime will not be another Rave that they will just not complete it

senewe
October 24, 2010, 10:52 AM
If it's progressing like this, and at the peak of the arc, Gildartz got killed by the deadly shadow guy, I would seriously lose my faith in Mashima. man this dude is freaking awesome. he can use HAKI.

Bhoot
October 24, 2010, 02:01 PM
If it's progressing like this, and at the peak of the arc, Gildartz got killed by the deadly shadow guy, I would seriously lose my faith in Mashima. man this dude is freaking awesome. he can use HAKI.

He even causes earthquakes ... reminds me of Whitebeard .... Who knows .... there may be a fight gildartz [playing whitebeard] v/s Raven Tail leader [playing as all the 3 Admirals combined] where Gilly looses giving Natsu [playing Luffy] the kick he needs to get stronger.

The Don Master T
October 24, 2010, 03:09 PM

most likely due to his inability to hold back his power i think thats the main reason for him not being in the ten magical saints or what ever they are called

Diablos
October 24, 2010, 03:22 PM

NOT HAKI, SUPER SAIYAN! Holy freaking **** :O, I seriously am still amazed. The power level of Gildartz was so insane it made Natsu cry out of fear... I mean NATSU man the reckless fearless natsu... that was just amazing.. and to know that next week we have 3 chapters OHOHOH I'm just so excited for it to see the development that is coming ahead that it gives me chills c(:

Kazu-Sama
October 24, 2010, 06:44 PM
Juvia against Erza who can neutralise water attacks with sea king armor . She has a handicap of relying completely on water abilities . She is being tested if she can actually rise over this weakness to attack Erza [I am gonna guess if she can't do it , but still wins with Lissane's help somehow , she still might be held back]

Then Elfman is being tested if required , if he can fight his own family members [or maybe if he can just hit a girl (especially if its his sister)]

Natsu was tested if he was just too hardheaded to realize when he was beat and hence not know when to do a strategic retreat [sometimes a retreat is the best solution , fighting head on is at time completely stupid] And maybe to show Natsu he needs to get stronger too .

Then , Cana went against Fried , now this i m guessing was a test more for Fried than Cana (Notice how i tend to not use the comrades name coz they i m gonna guess are there in case some wizards might be more proficient in team attacks / strategic / synchronized attacks / buffing (maybe for future Sky DS) so it would be troublesome for them to fight w/o a partner [so just to level the field])

It's a very good point. Look at weaknesses of the S-class

Juvia: relies solely on water
Elfman: Honour, won't fight a girl at all
Natsu: Overconfidence
Fried: Loyalty, willing to potentially betray teammates
Cana: Comparatively Inexperienced - in the timeframe of battles we've seen, she's hardly competed

And Juvia gets someone who can halve water damage,
Elfman gets a woman - and his sister no less
Natsu gets someone who has ridiculous power
Fried gets someone he feels he might owe
Cana gets someone stronger in base power, so has to use tactics.

Now Gray hardly has many weaknesses, even when he is without magic he almost beat Bixlow, and with help has beat Racer, beat Lyon, and wins most fights. But I've noticed his weakness against fast-moving enemies (Such as Racer or Lyon's eagles), so he may go against Wendy/Mest and face the speed that Mest seems to have.

As for Levy, she appears to lack offence and confidence, so a fight against strong-defence Gray may be useful.

And as for those wondering about Gildartz's arm, http://www.mangafox.com/manga/fairy_tail/v23/c200/9.html shows him with a prosthetic arm before this arc...

LoS
October 24, 2010, 07:28 PM
Cana: Comparatively Inexperienced - in the timeframe of battles we've seen, she's hardly competed

You could not have been more wrong. She is clearly the most experienced. Why else do you think Mashima would let us know she is the longest tenured member of this generation, and the one who has tried this test the most. She is called a guild veteran for goodness sake.

herminihildo
October 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
Gildartz is awesome. Now that's the power for the strongest mage in FT. Though I really thought that the fight would end in a more funny way.

So team Mest, Gray and Levy are the only ones left unknown. I'm betting Mest would be fighting either Gray or Levy.

Bhoot
October 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
OKay, This was the BEST ever chapter I've ever read, so far. Mashima rocked it out. My favorite would be the tiny Natsus tugging on Gildartz face :P LOL

But ... Here's a question. Even when Makarov went berserk in the Phantom Arc, I don't think he was as terrible as Gildartz. Does this mean, perhaps, Gildartz is stronger?
I never thought Natsu would 1) Cry and 2) Admit defeat ... Even when facing people like Luxus, or Oracion Seis, or Gerard he never has ... does this Make Gildartz stronger than all those people?

U see there is also a difference in the situations here :

1. When Marakov went against Jose , Natsu was no where near him and most importantly was NOT a part of the fight . How much did Lucy react to the shockwaves she felt from Gillys power?? barely anything!! its a difference seeing / sensing power than actually going up against it .

2. When fighting the other villians / ego - tistic maniacs , his comrades were on the line . He knew he had to stop them .

P.S That reminds me about the Luxus Arc ..... Y couldn't Natsu pass through Frieds barrier since only ppl of older age [dont remeber the exact age] were to be confined ??

You could not have been more wrong. She is clearly the most experienced. Why else do you think Mashima would let us know she is the longest tenured member of this generation, and the one who has tried this test the most. She is called a guild veteran for goodness sake.

She is one of the oldest members of fairy tail agreed , but for some time all she odes is sit in a bar and drink . Now u have to agree that she has to be out of cimmision for some time time

Baka_Sousui
October 25, 2010, 02:05 AM
She is one of the oldest members of fairy tail agreed , but for some time all she odes is sit in a bar and drink . Now u have to agree that she has to be out of cimmision for some time time

What do you mean by oldest?
Do you mean longest serving?
I'm assuming you're talking about Cana here.
If you're referring to age. Cana is 18. Erza and Mirajane is 19. Evergreen is 20. Visca, Lucky and Miki are 18 also. Lucy, Levi and Lisanna are 17.
That makes her mid-range in that age group. So she would have tried out for S-Class for the first time at the age of 14.

1st year - 14yo
2nd year - 15yo
3rd year - 16yo
4th year - 17yo
5th year - 18yo <-Current.

I'd say anything about her skills lacking due to alcohol will only be correct for the later years. Being selected at the age of 14 for S-class candidate is impressive in itself. Obviously there has been issues she's been dealing with saw her unable to pass the test all those times, and it's probably built up in pressure that made her go to the bottle, then the barrel.

Unlucky Boy
October 25, 2010, 03:21 AM

And how do you think she got the money to spend on all this alcohol?

She isnt the one of the main characters so we dont get to see her going on jobs, but it doesnt mean she's sitting in the guild all the time.

Remember how in the war against Phantom Lord she took the lead of the defence force?

Lord.Strife
October 25, 2010, 04:45 AM
The only thing the current chapter did for me is make me wonder how strong is that black dragon who crushed gildartz in a second. I am also sort of dissapointed at the power gap. I am not sure if this manga will go well if it has another 300 or so chapters. Unless there is a time skip. And we all know the risks of a time skip.

xErzaScarlet
October 25, 2010, 06:42 AM
And how do you think she got the money to spend on all this alcohol?

She isnt the one of the main characters so we dont get to see her going on jobs, but it doesnt mean she's sitting in the guild all the time.

Remember how in the war against Phantom Lord she took the lead of the defence force?

Yeah , she has leadership qualities , she led the team into battle , giving the team motivation even though all of them are tired .
She might not be strong in magic , but she displays great qualities to cover for her mediocre level of magic .

kkck
October 25, 2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.cloudmanga.com/Fairy_Tail/201/#21
Wonder if the image of natsu crying here is from when he fought gildarts.. Can anyone image natrsu crying twice in an arc?

ghostexiled
October 25, 2010, 08:07 AM
^I believe you may be onto something there. Who says those 3 images have anything to do with each other?

They are most likely each a key event that happens in this arc.

The Natsu one is most likely what we just saw of him crying from his fight with Gildartz.

Good thinking there! :D

Asmoden
October 25, 2010, 08:41 AM
I don't think what we just saw is part of the premonition because Natsu have a completly different expression...

By the way, like in eldoras, the female cat can have simply put toghether parts of completly different visions and miss the big picture (like when she thought she had to kill wendy).

I wonder if what Alberona is wearing matches the premonition picture:oh

kkck
October 25, 2010, 09:13 AM
Well, cana was not actually wearing anything this chapter but I would think she is about to put on the clothes the premonition showed. I thought the image of natsu crying might not be exactly what was shown however it could also be a simple matter of an angle. Can't wait to see who else passed the exam.... All I know is that whoever fights mest is screwed right now unless mashima wanted to introduce a character for no reason. I still think levi will have to fight grey and grey will lose. Thinking about it, levi's ability allows her to turn her writting into what it means or represent right? All she has to do is spawn the words for iron and gazille would be able to maintain his stamina along with powering up his attacks. Gazille was already quite stronger than loki but under this conditions even with grey they might not be much of a match. In many ways, levi could end up being a perfect partner for a DS.

matzik1212
October 25, 2010, 12:53 PM
i liked this chapter :) you gotta love natsu LOL he can take advantage of every little situation he's been put into :)) i was pretty sad when i saw him actually admitting defeat in front of gildartz and him being scared it was something i thought i would never have the chance to see but i'm sure that he will get even stronger now and we will never see him again like that cause i like his idiotic and optimistic side way better :)

Krono
October 25, 2010, 01:16 PM
What do you mean by oldest?
Do you mean longest serving?
I'm assuming you're talking about Cana here.
If you're referring to age. Cana is 18. Erza and Mirajane is 19. Evergreen is 20. Visca, Lucky and Miki are 18 also. Lucy, Levi and Lisanna are 17.
That makes her mid-range in that age group. So she would have tried out for S-Class for the first time at the age of 14.

1st year - 14yo
2nd year - 15yo
3rd year - 16yo
4th year - 17yo
5th year - 18yo <-Current.

I'd say anything about her skills lacking due to alcohol will only be correct for the later years. Being selected at the age of 14 for S-class candidate is impressive in itself. Obviously there has been issues she's been dealing with saw her unable to pass the test all those times, and it's probably built up in pressure that made her go to the bottle, then the barrel.

If you go back to chapter 38 and read her profile, she's been drinking since age 13.

Other than that, as said she's the longest serving of the current generation in that she joined the guild before Gray did. Which does theoretical translate into most experienced of current generation as kids in Fairy Tail still have to go out on missions to earn money for food, and possibly for rent.

Well, cana was not actually wearing anything this chapter but I would think she is about to put on the clothes the premonition showed.

Actually, she was wearing pants this chapter. Most people just seem to have had their attention stolen by Cana's bust and Lucy's rear.

Razh
October 25, 2010, 01:46 PM

We don't know that they are top ten. I mean, there could have been a couple of mages who refused the "membership" in order to be more free.

monkey D luffy
October 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
well you cant really call them the strongest 10. gildarts is definetally stronger then gerard. gerard went down, i think that even with eatherion natsu wont be able to beat gildarts, the dude made him cry from fear!

Razh
October 25, 2010, 03:57 PM
well you cant really call them the strongest 10. gildarts is definetally stronger then gerard. gerard went down, i think that even with eatherion natsu wont be able to beat gildarts, the dude made him cry from fear!

He didn't cry from fear. The crying came after the explanation. The fear was over by then.

Diablos
October 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
Gazille was already quite stronger than loki but under this conditions even with grey they might not be much of a match. In many ways, levi could end up being a perfect partner for a DS.

Don't forget that the early Loki was powerless due to him being too much time in real world and without a master I don't think Loki after being taken by Lucy is that weak, it actually seems to have quite the agility and power. But I wouldnt underestimate Levy we have yet to see her true potencial imo XD I believe that if those two teams meet up we're up for some really interesting match

VashDaStampede
October 25, 2010, 08:25 PM
I can't believe he shut Natsu down just by the sheer force of his magical power. Hyperactive, quick to fight Natsu...that's major power.

ghostexiled
October 25, 2010, 11:43 PM
Please stop posting off topic...

Posting whether or not a character looks like another character from a different manga, is not the purpose of this thread and is completely off topic.

Please only post about Fairy Tail the manga (not anime) in this thread. Also, please only post if you have something constructive to say about the past chapter and predictions for the next.

Thanks!

xErzaScarlet
October 26, 2010, 05:10 AM
If next week is called Mest , it means hes gonna face someone , so either Levy or Gray would run into him .
but i think it will be Levy .
Steel Dragon Slayer VS Sky Dragon slayer
This would be cool . But Wendy is toooooo cute to lose ~~~
And where did steel dragon's cat go ?

ghostexiled
October 26, 2010, 05:44 AM
^since he is considered an actual member of the guild and was not chosen by one of the candidates, I am assume he is back at the Guild.

Same as Charlie.

Remember that Happy was chosen as Natsu's partner.

OldSkOoL
October 26, 2010, 07:05 AM
I get the feeling That Gazille and Levy will make it to the next round at least. He's doing this to make it up to her, be kinda lame on his behalf if they didnt make it to the next round

Yashie
October 26, 2010, 08:40 AM
I get the feeling That Gazille and Levy will make it to the next round at least. He's doing this to make it up to her, be kinda lame on his behalf if they didnt make it to the next round

Not necessarily. It's the sentiment that counts

kkck
October 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
For me it would be kinda anticlimatic to remove gazille and levi from the test. He is a DS and it would serve no purpose to the plot. I feel it would make more sense for gazille to remain in the competition than grey at this stage. I think gazille should at least make it to the next round. Grey being defeated would at least serve some purpose. Lucy would get her spirit back and loki would be extra pumped to help to redeem himself from not taking grey very far into the competition.

Jorge D. Dragon
October 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
It was really great chapter. Gildartz is amasing with his real power. And especially I liked the way how he let Natsu to next round. It was one of the best chapters of Fairy Tail recently.

elitefox
October 26, 2010, 09:52 PM
I guess this chapter recovered the last disappointment :D

This is how a S-class should be,

S-class seems have degraded from erza's participation in her current group since always the one ended up beaten but she handles 50% to 80% of the job though. and Natsu finishing the boss.

Jorge D. Dragon
October 27, 2010, 01:35 AM
After seeing all the S class mages and the candidates for the title I can't understand who can be new S class exept Natsu and maybe Mistgun's desciple, cause we didn't see him in action. I also can't understand how Levy can be in this. She clearly is in other league. She isn't even in middle tier of A class.

Riyuki
October 27, 2010, 02:12 AM
^ Dude all we have seen from Levi so far is her rewriting Fried's overpowered runes that not even the master was able to undo during the laxus arc. We seriously know pretty much nothing of Levi... who knows.. her power could mix extremely well with Gazille (ironic much? if true) and they could become a force to be reckoned with... just to get beat later by Mest, of course.

Theres something about Levi/Gazille vs. Mest/Wendy that sounds too good to be true. It will happen.. and theres no one better to test out unknown strength (Mest) with than Gazille.

senewe
October 27, 2010, 02:31 AM
My prediction Mest is in Empty route. Maybe He will tell his story to Wendy while walking in the unobstructed path.

Levi and Gazile vs Gray and Loki, Levi and Gazile win, so Lucy can summon Loki in her next fight.

Zeltrax
October 27, 2010, 06:30 AM
Aha, gildart is sooooo shanks.
This chapter made up for the over-fanservice, I always wanted natsu to lose.
But this kind of loss was unexpected, even for him. Although, he'll obvious go back to being carefree and using brute force even after what Gildart said.
I mean, he had been doing that style of fighting for 200 over chapters.
Time for an upgrade, time for an upgrade!
To be frank..65 pages is kind of..wow. I didn't think the author could keep that up.
Am I the only one looking forward to what Gray is up to? He hasn't had a decent one on one fight since Phantom lord, that was one of the best one by far imo.
The one against the owl was just funny.
I hope he doesn't get wasted off..again. Next chapter will probably be Mest and Mystogan flashback, and Mest will say that he will carry Mystogan will or be the next Mystogan.
Which means, we will inevitably see that face again.
Sigh..whatever.
Nice chapter overall and power levels weren't set too high with Natsu at least hurting Gildart.

Bobbina
October 27, 2010, 06:42 PM
Well, Natsu did lose, but he still passed. Um.... the owl wasn't Phantom Lord. That was the Tower of Paradise. If that's what you mean. And actually, I think the best fight was against Leon. Leon was his rival, his superior. Plus he managed to help and prove Ur. Plus his fight with Racer was pretty good. And yeah, I wanna know whats gonna happen to Gray

elitefox
October 27, 2010, 08:19 PM
I wonder if Gildartz is really not holding back

his magics was defensive, if he use that much magic force... he could have obliterated natsu in the beginning... what I mean, he is using his minimal magic force to cast magic

CannedJam
October 27, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm hoping this wasn't said yet, but wouldn't Gazille losing be better than gray losing? Mest defeating Levy and Gazille would be a true example of his stength. That and Gray needs a good fight that he ends up winning. I don't see him beating Mest and Wendy.

Drakk707
October 27, 2010, 09:17 PM
No, Gray as a one of the main characters have had multiple opportunities to shine, show character development and win seemingly impossible battles before while Levi hasn't fought even once and Gazille has never properly won a fight (Helping Natsu win doesn't counts) they deserve a chance to remain in the competition more than Gray.

Baka_Sousui
October 28, 2010, 12:45 AM
I think that Grey will stay in because he's a "main" character has a flawed logic.
Erza is a "main character as much as Gray is. Her appearance in this arc whilst important, does not seem to indicate she'll play a big role beyond the first round of this arc. I feel it's the same for Grey. His importance in terms of story for this arc has little priority.

kkck
October 28, 2010, 08:14 AM
I think the main issue is that grey's permanence in the test would be detrimental to lucy. If grey loses lucy (who is bound to have a big role in the arc) gets one of her stronger spirits back.

Riyuki
October 28, 2010, 10:20 AM
I dont care I want Grey to win. He's one of my fav characters and I was happy when I saw him as one of the 8 people for S-Class. I know its impossible for both grey and gazille to move forward.. and I like them both... but I just dont want Grey to lose this early :(..

Asmoden
October 28, 2010, 11:04 AM
I dont care I want Grey to win. He's one of my fav characters and I was happy when I saw him as one of the 8 people for S-Class. I know its impossible for both grey and gazille to move forward.. and I like them both... but I just dont want Grey to lose this early :(..

I'm sorry but Grey is the only one i can see lose.
But well who know... since today the plot was never predictable so maybe we will see some big twist.

I wonder how Wendy will help.

Hope the three chapter big release will come out soon:eyeroll

kkck
October 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately grey lost his main character position a while ago.

It goes like this:

1.-Natsu (main character)
2.-Lucy (usually narrator, related to the dragons through her mother, has more character development that either grey or erza IMO)
3.-erza
4.-Gazille-wendy
5.-Lucy's stellar spirtits
6.-.....
7.-.....
8.-.....
9.-grey

Dunno, I just get the impression he gets progressively less relevant as the plot goes on while in turn natsu, erza and lucy maintain the same level of relevance to plot through the series.

Kuzumikun
October 28, 2010, 02:20 PM
can't wait for the next one!!! C:
i want to see levi fight and also mest!

[hr]

^ Dude all we have seen from Levi so far is her rewriting Fried's overpowered runes that not even the master was able to undo during the laxus arc. We seriously know pretty much nothing of Levi... who knows.. her power could mix extremely well with Gazille (ironic much? if true) and they could become a force to be reckoned with... just to get beat later by Mest, of course.

Theres something about Levi/Gazille vs. Mest/Wendy that sounds too good to be true. It will happen.. and theres no one better to test out unknown strength (Mest) with than Gazille.

yeah i but for me i think levi and gazille are ganna end up getting the quiet path while it might be gray vs juvia -and mayb juvia will loose to let gray pass- and mest vs erza cuz i don't see him fighting mira

Krono
October 28, 2010, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately grey lost his main character position a while ago.

It goes like this:

2.-Lucy (usually narrator, related to the dragons through her mother, has more character development that either grey or erza IMO)
3.-erza
4.-Gazille-wendy
6.-.....
7.-.....
8.-.....
9.-grey

Dunno, I just get the impression he gets progressively less relevant as the plot goes on while in turn natsu, erza and lucy maintain the same level of relevance to plot through the series.

I wouldn't quite say he's lost his main character position yet. He still gets in every arc. He has become rather less relevant though. He really needs to meet Urtear and learn that his teacher's daughter is still alive, and working for evil. Otherwise he doesn't have a long term goal to push him to get stronger, doesn't have any lingering issues to settle, and is kinda in the same position Let was in later on in Rave Master.

yeah i but for me i think levi and gazille are ganna end up getting the quiet path while it might be gray vs juvia -and mayb juvia will loose to let gray pass- and mest vs erza cuz i don't see him fighting mira

Umm, we already know that Juvia is fighting Erza, and Elfman is fighting Mirajane. Levi's team, Gray's team, and Mest's team are the only ones we don't know what path they got. One team will get the quiet path, and the other two teams will fight each other.

Riyuki
October 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
I understand Grey is the most likely to lose but I still want him to win anyways ;D

I think it would be better to show just how powerful Mest really is and show him completely dominate Gazille... that would totally make Mest seem more higher ranked if he kicks a dragon slayers ass. I like Gazille a lot though, but I still think this would be better for the story.

Mest beating Grey -> "Oh man Mest is quite strong"
Mest beating Gazille -> "Damn... I totally thought for sure Gazille would make it to round 2"

Bobbina
October 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
"Unfortunately grey lost his main character position a while ago.

It goes like this:

3.-erza
4.-Gazille-wendy
6.-.....
7.-.....
8.-.....
9.-grey

Dunno, I just get the impression he gets progressively less relevant as the plot goes on while in turn natsu, erza and lucy maintain the same level of relevance to plot through the series."
HEY WAIT A SECOND. Where is HAPPY? I mean.... he can't help Natsu much, but he's of significant importance and is bound to progress in the future. And I don't think Gazille and Wendy are that much more important, neither are Lucy's spirits. Grey is Natsu's rival, and Grey is also involved with Natsu's last battle. (Besides in the Luxus arc.) Probably not the spirits, as we don't see them as much as Grey, and I don't think we will. Nor are they tied with the protagonist, as Grey is.

ghostexiled
October 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
Guys, lets please get back on track with discussing the actual chapter and predictions. There is already a thread for ranking characters.

Thanks!

MAX_COLA_POWER!
October 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hmm, I think the people that may pass because they have something on the line, will be Natsu (to see Igneel), Cana (to see that person), Mest (he was close last time), and Levy (ok she doesn't have anything on the line, I just wanna see her win so she can go nuts for Gajeel^^). Gray, I don't see him passing, and Elfman, sorry manly chad, your sister is way more manlier than you will ever hope to be. Juvia, I'm 50/50 with her.

Aikidoka
October 29, 2010, 03:24 PM
I feel like Levy is nothing impressive next to everyone else, but at the same time she's being underestimated. Remember that arc in the beginning where Natsu fought Virgo? He also fought the assassins, one of which talked about how most mages are physically weak and their only strong point is magic. Levy is one of these mages IMO, only good at her magic and below average in everything else.

deffkryz
October 29, 2010, 05:04 PM
I think Mashima is going to present us Grey/Loki vs. Levy/Gajeel (and makes G/L lose, so Lucy is allowed to use Loki in the next round) while Mest/Wendy will have the calm route.

On the other hand, I can see G/L also lose against M/W... But I don't think Mashima will make one of the Dragon Slayer being thrown out of the tournament - which is probably why none of them but Natsu had to fight against an S class mage.

Anyhow... it's three chapters this week, wasn't it. Enough space for either great fights or the possible start of the next round.

takarita
October 29, 2010, 08:17 PM
And Just now we have already the 207 chapter on Mangastream

Nonlife
October 29, 2010, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know if Hiro is going on break for a while, since we're getting three chapters worth in this chapter?

xErzaScarlet
October 29, 2010, 08:42 PM
one chapter is out .

Krono
October 29, 2010, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know if Hiro is going on break for a while, since we're getting three chapters worth in this chapter?

If he was going on break for a while, we wouldn't be getting three chapters at once, they'd run the chapters 1 by 1 while he was gone.

Zatono
October 29, 2010, 08:50 PM
Holy crap? From the looks of it, Mest somehow manipulated EVERYONES thoughts and inserted himself into their memories. Holy hot damn, another antagonist for this arc?

I thought Mr. Death Touch would be enough but...this arc looks like it's going to be unexpectedly more badass then I thought.

sarutobi_sensei
October 29, 2010, 08:51 PM
Oh boy, I knew something was fishy about that guy. I knew it. I simply knew it.

What does he want with Wendy anyway? Her cure spells? Her boosting spells?

Oh boy this is bound to get interesting.

What did Elfman and Evergreen do to win against Mira XD

Baka_Sousui
October 29, 2010, 08:53 PM
one chapter is out .

So Mest might not be a part of Fairy Tail. He's searching for something on the island. I have a feeling the Master or one of the S-Class mages already know something is up. Mest has some sort of memory altering magic it seems.

Also I was correct about Gray being in a "battle". But I guess because Mest being there for ulterior motives meant he didn't care about winning. Which changed things up a bit. Is that Death magic guy still making an appearance in this arc? Seems we have a different foe to go up against.

xErzaScarlet
October 29, 2010, 08:56 PM
Mest looks so stupid lol . and dont touch my wendy !!!