PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Coby official thread

THM Nindo
October 22, 2010, 11:20 PM
So, this is the official thread to talk about Coby.

What do you think about this character?
What do you think will be his role?
Will he be strong in the end, or will he remain a loser?

------

His Role

In my case, I'd compare Coby's role to Garp, its mentor.

Garp was, in many way, on par with Gold Roger, and he was always trying to bring him to jail, but was ultimately forced to let him go.
Garp was Gold Roger's nemesis, and also, I think, one of his closest friend.

I think Coby will play the same role for Luffy.
I think that Coby will be one of his best friend (like all of his nakama), but will also try to capture him (only because he's in the marine).

So, if we want Coby to be credible when he tries to capture Luffy, I think that he will need to be very strong.
I'm actually thinking that Coby will eventually get to the admiral position.

His power

I'm not sure if he will or not get a DF.
If he does, it will most likely be something really strong, like a Logia-type...
He might actually get the fire DF since its availabe now since Ace's death!

In the very least, I think he will be very very skill with the Haki.
More than the regular marines (we know that every VA is able to use Haki to some extent) and that he will become a force to reckon with because of it.

----

I'm really really curious as to what Oda has in mind for him, but I'm sure that it will be really epic in the end.

Maybe, once Luffy has discove the truth behind the World Goverment, he will manage to convince Coby (maybe an admiral at that time) to work with him to fight with him against them.

In any case, it will be epic!
We can count on Oda for that!

kkck
October 23, 2010, 12:46 AM
Well, he has shown a natural aptitude for haki as of now (he awoke it for no good reason during the war) so I think that there is no doubt he will be extremely skilled with it. He is training to be a fighter like garp so with time he most likely will grow to not need one. Getting one won't hurt though. There is no way he will remain a loser though. He is actually dreaming big and has had a no less than extraordinary growth in the 6/12 months he was in the marines before the timeskip.

It'd be interesting if coby actually asked to be moved to G5 too. He'd be relatively close to smoker which can't be bad for the plot given both of their interest in luffy. It would also be a great way for him to increase his strength (helmepo too).

I always got the impression that smoker was to play a bit more of the garp role than coby though. Garp and Roger developed a sort of pseudo friendship through their fights, they came to respect each other. On the other hand, coby and luffy are friends because luffy saved coby. Luffy is likely to develop a pseudo friendship with smoker rather than coby.

zerocooldx
October 23, 2010, 02:25 PM
I think people get on Colby for his performance, or lack there of, at the war against WB and getting one shotted by Luffy. But its important to keep in mind that Colby really didn't want to be there let alone fight and kill people. He had no real claim or stake in that war aside from the fact that he was a Marine. Which is a complete 180 from Luffy whose entire being was investing in the war. Saving Ace was more important to Luffy then his own life and dreams. So i would like to see Colby fight for something he believed in and was fully vested in.

kkck
October 23, 2010, 02:58 PM
Of course coby would get one shotted by luffy but I don't think that in itself should be enough for people to get on coby like that. Coby had been training for mere months when luffy had spent his entire life training with ace and surviving garp's less than controversial methods to make luffy stronger. Coby most likely has gone through garp's less than controversial training methods however he would still lack the time luffy has been fighting and the sheer experience. 2 years have passed now, coby is bound to have had some decent haki training (specially observation, something which an airhead like luffy is bound to not be brilliant at) and acquired experience while fighting in the GL. Plot wise, what would make the most sense is that coby has actually been training and fulfilling marine duties in the new world considering that is exactly where luffy is going so odds are he has grown more than considerably stronger there. In that sense, he might even have an edge on luffy. I don't think coby will be able to defeat luffy next time we see him however it is extremely likely the gap between them will be severely reduced.

RezzieThaRapper
October 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
You beat me in making this thread, I swear I logged in just to make this thread after seeing all the discussion on it in the chapter discussion... I guess great minds think alike... Okay, now let me get on topic:

The Actual Role of Coby

Coby's role is eventually going to become similar to Garp's... Smoker will too, but Coby even more so as he is Garp's student/apprentice. Or Coby will become a new Sengoku, who knows... (Oda does :) )

Coby & Smoker are the future Sengoku & Garp -- Quote me on this --

Coby's Strength/Skills

Don't count on seeing Coby one shotted from here on out everytime he fights Luffy, let's face it, Coby was at the war, he saw Luffy take on Giants, VAs, The Admirals, The Shichibukai, Talk Down To Whitebeard, He was asleep for a lot more, but you can count on him hearing Luffy taking on Sengoku and Garp...

With all of these tales and sights of fearlessness and strength from Luffy, and with Garp knowing Coby's goal and knowing he considers Luffy his friend. Do you really not expect him to train his abilities and max out past human imagination. This is Admiral strength our young friend his going for, and if Oda is really all about dreams in this manga, you can bet your ass Coby is gonna get this strong

You can bet Coby's been doing the most incredible missions, the most insane battles, the most epic things with this two year break.

What Skills I Predict for Coby

Lucci level Rokushiki - Specializing in Tekkai and Soru

Always on Tekkai

Even faster Soru

Kami-E MASTERY - The only way I can see him standing out from the VA's

CoO MASTERY - In fact I predict he will be able to cloud others CoO capabilities

CoA Average - He has to be able to hit Luffy

CoC Subtle - It has been said many people who achieve fame in this world seem to have this ability and Coby should have it... disagree all you want

Ō Wazamono Grade Sword - A sword as powerful as a Zoro blade, of Course he won't be able to show anywhere near Zoro's level... but maybe enough to keep Luffy on his toes

Devil's Fruit - I am sorta picky on this... and if he get's any Devil Fruit I want it to be the Mera Mera No Mi or something that speaks of the color pink(just because)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: The reason I want him to have always on Tekkai is because a body as strong as steel can compare to a body made of rubber.

And think about this:

A Body of Steel, As Light As Paper, Attacks Like a Lion, Flies Like a Falcon

What if the Marines defined Coby like this. VA level at least

EDIT 2: I believe Coby is currently a Rear Admiral at most and at the very least a Commodore

kkck
October 23, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't particularly see coby having a sword, let along a famous one. He is not a swordsman nor he seems to be training to be one. That would be something that helmelpo would have. I could see him being accomplished at rokushiki, as a fighter it would be a perfect complement to his skills and IMO adding haki to the whole thing would be an epic combination. Rokushiki is kinda a natural enhancement of the body to new levels, adding a supernatural thing like haki would be the perfect combination (VA seem to already do something like this though). A DF would not be bad either, it would speed up his getting stronger process by quite a bit.

kingasas33
October 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
yeah i agree kkck....coby is a fighter and helmelpo is swordsman...i imagine coby is gonna lead garp 's ship because of garp's retirement...maybe have some awesome logia ability like wind user or water user....another thing is if he (coby) not become captain on garp's ship maybe traveled alone like aokiji.....

Jorge D. Dragon
November 24, 2010, 02:35 AM
After some thoughts and reading first part of One Piece Green Databook by Mangastream I got some thoughts about Coby...
I do think that he will become rather good Marine after the time-skip. Even in terms of Rokushiki. Also he will develop Haki to some extent, but I'm sure that it he will have only CoO and CoA. I think that he will never have CoQ.
Even if he have good combination of Rokushiki and Haki I don't think he will be even at Kakku's level. I think that to become some real relevant player in future he needs some DF and if he gets one it should be some Zoan type, cause he is close-range fighter. It will make him fisically stronger and enhance his Rokushiki skills.:)
I just can't imagine what Zoan will be good for him.:)

THM Nindo
November 24, 2010, 12:51 PM
I don't know if it's a spoiler or not, so I will just put it in spoilers tags anyway, but we got some news about Coby in the "One Piece Green Databook" that was just translated today.

It seems that he's now a "Master Sergeant"!
http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece_green/68375012/19

And it's saying the Helmeppo is also aiming at mastering Haki powers...

I wonder if that's written by Oda, or if people are just making stuff up...

Jorge D. Dragon
November 24, 2010, 12:54 PM
It's not a spoiler. He was a Sergant Major when he met Luffy at Water 7.:)

vagabond87
November 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
After some thoughts and reading first part of One Piece Green Databook by Mangastream I got some thoughts about Coby...
I do think that he will become rather good Marine after the time-skip. Even in terms of Rokushiki. Also he will develop Haki to some extent, but I'm sure that it he will have only CoO and CoA. I think that he will never have CoQ.
Even if he have good combination of Rokushiki and Haki I don't think he will be even at Kakku's level. I think that to become some real relevant player in future he needs some DF and if he gets one it should be some Zoan type, cause he is close-range fighter. It will make him fisically stronger and enhance his Rokushiki skills.:)
I just can't imagine what Zoan will be good for him.:)

Zoan model Lion would be perfect for Coby.

"Beast" is being used as a symbol, and the context is not really talking about an actual animal. The beast represents a governmental system, the personality of a system, and that system's philosophy of life. The context is showing us that from the system's point of view, people have no value other than for its purpose, and its purpose is simply to maintain and to extend its existence and power through the use of terror, fear—things that any wild animal would naturally exercise. In the "beast's" eyes, we are fodder or chattel.

A study of the symbol of the lion brings out several characteristics the Bible emphasizes: It represents strength, predatory ferocity, majesty, and leadership. The lion is the symbol of a ruler, a king, and often a very fierce and powerful one. These are the general meanings of the symbol based on a lion's traits. They help us to comprehend what God wants us to focus on in the context. Thus, a lion can represent both Satan and Jesus because they both have a lion's characteristics.

John W. Ritenbaugh

http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/478/Lion-Symbol-of.htm

chess4
November 26, 2010, 03:49 PM
i think he will have a hold on his color of obsevation and he will have moved up in rank a bit.

tret16
November 30, 2010, 11:17 PM
i don't think that he's gunna even want a DV. i mean look at his main influence in his trainging. He's being trained by Garp, someone without a DV and is famous no less and also Garp assistant doesn't seem to have a DV either. And not to mention, it just doesn't seem to be in his personality to have a DV ability.

JC123
December 10, 2010, 01:36 AM
Something I thought about Coby. Think of Coby as Usopp, only on the Marine side. He's started out as one of the weakest of the Marines. He was a coward that has trained extensively to become a Sgt Major in the time that Luffy has sailed the Grand Line. He's not quite there in terms of power, which is to be expected of a regular person.

Luffy started out stronger and has been through a lot more than Coby. Coby is meant to be a parallel story to Luffy's. He will grow from his loss. We're certain. But will he be on par with Luffy eventually? That's anyone's guess.

kkck
December 10, 2010, 02:14 AM
Well, luffy and Coby have in common the fact that both of them can only get so strong... Both of them will reach their potential at some point and from that point on they will stop growing. Luffy is closing in on his potential faster than coby for the most part however that only means coby has more room for improvement than luffy does. Coby has undeniable talent, in less than a year he gained superhuman capacities, learned at least one rokushiki technique AND most importantly awakened haki. I think coby will reach a point where he will be a match for luffy.

scav
December 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
Coby will be like Garp ?
Hum Coby will be great for sure. But i don't see Coby as garp. i see him more like Sengoku. Garp is VA cuz he isn't interested by being promoted, but Coby want to be Admiral. U can see here they aren't the same kind of guys. Smoker is more like garp, he don't give a damn about being promoted or being an admiral,when he think justice is wrong he dont give a damn about order. And the only one who chase SH since loguetown its smoker.

Coby and luffy
Coby is chasing after his dream and after the shadow of luffy.
we can see some parallelism between luffy and coby.both have a dream, one is in the marine and the other is a pirate, and if you notice it, both started to lean Haki at the same time, and both with a master. Luffy with rayleigh and coby with garp and both have natural talents.But luffy lead on coby and coby is trying to catch him, so i think during all the story Coby will chase him and only at the end Coby will finally catch the level of luffy.

Coby and the CoC
For the CoC, there is a parallelism between Coby and luffy like i said before. So if luffy have the CoC, coby will have it too(or already have it).

3000PoemsWritten
December 13, 2010, 04:17 PM
Coby is like the best... I can relate to him... (I feel very manly wearing a pink wig, jumping up and down on my bed, screaming randomly, I WANNA GET STRONGER!!!)

Anyway... I think Coby is about to come back like this

SUPER ROBOT MONKEY TEAM HYPER FORCE GO! and the world should lose like half of a chunk when he arrives

kkck
December 13, 2010, 05:48 PM
I don't think coby will have the color of the conqueror. It does not fit him IMO.

chess4
December 13, 2010, 05:59 PM
I don't think coby will have the color of the conqueror. It does not fit him IMO.

i think coby will have great control over color of observation and will develop COA later, but no kings haki. i think he will be the greatest roukisishki(spelling?) user ever in the marines but thats a long way off.

must discuss helmelppo, since he is pretty much hitched to coby's train. i think he will be the strongest marine swordsman and will be top 5 in the world in the end.

scav
December 13, 2010, 09:54 PM
lol u guy think a marine can't have CoC? For each generation i think we will have at least one marine with the CoC.And if its not Coby who else?
dat was Coby at the begining
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:UkltkJ0lECKz3M:http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww83/Kuminate/Vote-Coby---Or-Else-.gif&t=1
who could guess that he will become like that only after few months of training?
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/4/4e/Cobyportrait.png

and u guys still don't want to admit Coby is special?during the first part, even luffy didn't grow up as fast as Coby did. I can't wait to see how is Coby after 2 years.Some people here gonna be surprised

kkck
December 14, 2010, 03:20 AM
Coby is special, I don't see how anyone could deny that. The very FACT that he awakened haki without having years of training behind him and experience is a sign of how absurdly exceptional he is. At the very least luffy had spent his entire childhood suffering garp's insane trainings. Coby spent 6 months with garp and awakened the ability. Coby eventually reaching the admiral position is not a long shot IMO, he has more than shown he has the sheer talent for such a feat and his growth rate also suggests he is talented.

darkprince0521
December 14, 2010, 03:34 AM
Coby is special, I don't see how anyone could deny that. The very FACT that he awakened haki without having years of training behind him and experience is a sign of how absurdly exceptional he is. At the very least luffy had spent his entire childhood suffering garp's insane trainings. Coby spent 6 months with garp and awakened the ability. Coby eventually reaching the admiral position is not a long shot IMO, he has more than shown he has the sheer talent for such a feat and his growth rate also suggests he is talented.

i don't think Conquerers Haki is something that can be developed over time, it is already decided from birth. that's what i think.

he is talented, that much is true, or might be true. he will have great control over Haki that might be true as well. but i don't think we will see so many characters with Conquerers Haki. then it will loose the importance as something big.

scav
December 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
i don't think Conquerers Haki is something that can be developed over time, it is already decided from birth. that's what i think.

he is talented, that much is true, or might be true. he will have great control over Haki that might be true as well. but i don't think we will see so many characters with Conquerers Haki. then it will loose the importance as something big.

how you go from "Coby having CoC" to "many characters with COC"?Coby isn't many he's a single guy and if Coby have the CoC atm he will be the only one marine with that ( garp already left the marine).That will make him someone very famous in the marine.

kkck
December 14, 2010, 01:43 PM

I was not talking about the conqueror's haki at all. The manga did say that conqueror's haki is not something which can be acquired or strengthen through training.

Jorge D. Dragon
December 14, 2010, 02:42 PM
kkck
I can't see the posibility of Coby being a match for Luffy. At the end of the story he can be a significant Marine, but no way a match for Luffy. Even before the time-skip the difference between them was tremendous. Luffy took out Rob Lucci (the real combat genious who had great experience in assasination had tremendous level of Rokushiki that was the greatest in CP9 history and had great control of a DF that suited well to his Rokushiki style), Crocodile and Moria. He also defeated Boa's sisters who were very profisiient in terms of Haki (maybe even more than the majority of Vice Admirals, cause we know that on Amazon Lily people are taught since the childhood), then he went to Impel Down (and don't forget that he trashed Ennies Lobby) and got away (he was only the second in history who did it). Then he got to Marineford and fought quite well (especially taking in account his health, cause he was moving just because of his strong will and with the help of Kuma's hormones).
Also about learning... Luffy was clearly the man who learned faster than it is posible. He learned Soru right from the spot when he fought Bruno on the top of the Tower of Justice.
Also after the time-skip Luffy grew tremmendously. He got way stronger. Before the time-skip all the crew could take down only one Pacifista, but after the time-skip Luffy trashed it with one punch. Even Rayleigh said that he didn't expect Luffy to grow that strong and even Luffy's crew was shocked of his new strength and we barely saw him using his new moves. He took down Kraken with one punch and the Kraken was several times bigger than Sunny.

P.S. I don't understimate Coby or underrate him, but I just see the reality. It was stated in manga that Luffy surely is the leader of new Age and the strongest in the new generation. He surely is a prodigy and has tremendous Haki. His only problem is his dumbness. People overrate Coby too much. If he wants to be at Admiral's level he needs to have DF, cause the only one who was at that level and didn't have it was Garp, but he is surely an exeption. We saw that even old Whitebeard, who was weakened by an illness and his age could take more than one Admiral at a time, so syrely when Luffy will become Pirate King he must surpass WB (I think it's common logic) and should take three Admirals at a time, so no way Coby can be at his Level, cause surely Luffy has a bigger level of growth during the manga.

Dekker
December 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
We saw that even old Whitebeard, who was weakened by an illness and his age could take more than one Admiral at a time, so syrely when Luffy will become Pirate King he must surpass WB (I think it's common logic) and should take three Admirals at a time, so no way Coby can be at his Level, cause surely Luffy has a bigger level of growth during the manga.

Nope we did not. He never fought two or three at once. That wouldve been overkill. You are underating the admirals quite a bit. Whitebeared was not even able to bring one Admiral close to defeat. Yeah Akainu got quite some hit when Whitebeared was pissed, but Akainus problem was not being down for the count but falling down a cliff he could not jump up again. He had to melt his way out.

Coby growing a lot to be a match for Luffy is not really that far off considering his growth until now. Luffy trained years together with Ace and Sabo, while Coby was abused by Alvida and her crew and only had a few months for training. Just wait for it.

Soka
December 27, 2010, 03:09 PM
As we all know Garp and Sengoku retired from active marine service and wanted to concentrate on training youngsters.

If Corby and Helmeppo had trained under Sengoku and Garp for two years, like Ruffy did under Rayleigh I cant see a reason why they couldnt catch up to Luffy.Especially as its already decided in some way because its Corbys dream and Oda does not draw a manga where dreams of people like Corby are crushed

Additionally its Garps duty to raise a Marine that could fight his grandson and Garp is very certain of Ruff strenght and determination

kkck
December 27, 2010, 03:43 PM
^Well, the result of garp's training has already been proven. Six months worth of his training made coby have such an overwhelming change even his physical appearance changed.... And yeah, his training should be comparable to something Rayleigh could give. I do think that the idea of coby catching up to luffy is a bit out there though. Luffy had 17 years worth of training ahead of coby, that is not something negligible. Coby could advance quite a bit over these two years, heck he should even be capable of giving lucci the fodder treatment if there is any justice in the manga but catching up to luffy is something entirely different. Luffy right now is in a league of his own, he should be strong enough to actually hold his ground against shichibukai and even to not get one shotted by admirals or people who basically stand at the top of the world. Coby is without a shred of a doubt an absolute beast by now but I would question whether he caught up to luffy. I am not saying luffy would necessarily one shot coby as before but overall there should be a reasonably big difference.