PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Manga Villains, Anti-Heroes, and Rivals

Sorata
October 30, 2006, 05:31 PM
Well in every Shonen manga of sports and action there is this "anti-hero like" characters, and i´m really a fan of those guys, guys with bad attitude that never show their feelings, but that have a good heart.
I want to know who is your favorite and why????
My favorite is Shin Seijuurou from Eyeshield 21, because he always mantain is coolness and beside being a ginius is an hard worker as well, if i can vote twice, my second vote would go to Zoro from One Piece.

Xophien
October 30, 2006, 06:16 PM
Of your list I'd say Ikki from Saint Seiya, because he's just insanely cool, strong and immortal, while the other main characters are stupid (Seiya), sissy (Shun), blind (Shiryu) or with a mother complex (Hyoga Oo). Plus he takes head-on all the strongest bad guys/gods by himself and survives each time. An insanely great character in an overall bad manga...

On a side note, my real favorite one isn't on the list, it's Mido Ban from Getbackers :amuse This guy is just the GOD of coolness XD

(on another side note the best anti-hero from Rurouni Kenshin should have been Saito instead of Aoshi, but it's a matter of taste I guess^^)

Sorata
October 30, 2006, 06:20 PM
Well i put Aoshi because, he has more roll in the story than Saito, because to me Saito is the best character from Rurouni Kenshin.
I never read Get Backers but my cousin said that Mido Ban is a cool character.

kiddo7
October 30, 2006, 11:30 PM
Well since you said I have to say why, the simplest answer is because I only know very few of the list:Sasuke, Ishida, and Sesshoumaru. Well amongst these Sasuke... well... sucks. there I said it, he just does not come of as a cool guy.
Ishida is funny and all but he is in no way badass and for me, inorder to be a cool antihero you need to be badass.
Sesshoumaru on the other hand, has got it all. unmatched power, independance, badass to the bone, shows no emotion (well virtually no emotion anyway), and then you are still able to like him because he is doing his own thing, not letting himself be drawn into anyones fights and destroying anyone who comes in his way. Plus he has that wierd and wonderfull relationship with Rin. I never fully understood that but I loved him all the more for it.
and last but not least,... he is a bishie :)

ttxdragon
October 31, 2006, 12:33 AM
if it's got to be one of the list i'd say aoshi... if only the mangas on the list, it'd be saito as Xophien stated above.
i dont know many of the chars listed up there... ut iwill explain why the other ones arent really suited for that list imo.

vegeta... well, he really isnt much of a non-emotion-showing person... you can read his emotions in nearly every panel of the manga easily... at least i thought so... he wasnt even a real villain in dragonball...

sasuke... forget him, i never thought of him as likeable. he's a coward more than the already really cowardy mainchar and his hair makes him even more hateable than anti-hero....

ishida. hurray for him, he could easily be the hero of his own comedy or better love-comedy manga...

Alviss... maybe he is a good anti-hero, but i think that gintas 'badassness' just makes him look less badass and thus less suited than aoshi...

kanda... i personly hate his character more and more, he's a 'one-mission-side-char' and currently makes the manga worse than it is in general...

--------------

my ultimate fav as being the badass anti-hero with no emotions would be marco owen from king of thorns... because although hes a real mainchar he doesnt feel like one... and has all necessary characteristics to be counted as anti-hero.

GGpX
October 31, 2006, 01:05 AM
Mido Ban.

I love Get Backers. I think after reading many volumes of it, it has the best art out of any manga I've read.

(I'm working on scanlating it, and waiting for vol16 to be for sale...)

fireballer666
October 31, 2006, 01:18 AM
Please explain how Killua, Zoro, and Mikagami are anti-heroes....I'd have to say someone not on the list, Teruhiko Tenkouji of Kotaro Makaritoru, just read the manga (it's the 3rd longest running manga of all time (or something like that))

Sorata
October 31, 2006, 08:12 AM
The anti-hero isn´t a villain, is a good guy with a peculliar personality, and in all Shonen Manga there is lots of sterotips of characters:the hero, the villain, the funny guy, the anti-hero, the girl(who have no importance in the roll-anzu, keiko, Bulma,etc.). And concerning Zoro, Killua and Mikagami, if we look to those manga characters we will see that they are the anti-heros from the story, but it´s true that they aren´t so badass or emotionless like Sesshoumaru(i only read Inuyasha because of him) or Kaiba Seto(Yu-Gi-Oh!).
After reading your posts i will start reading Geat Backers and Kotaro Makaritoru(is that a shonen manga?).

Luckas
October 31, 2006, 08:36 AM
At the beginning I thought there were too many characters in your poll and that your idea of anti-hero was too wide. Then I ckecked Wikipedia: "In literature and film, an anti-hero has widely come to mean a fictional character who has some characteristics that are antithetical to those of the traditional hero. An anti-hero in today's books and films will perform acts generally deemed "heroic," but will do so with methods, manners, or intentions that may not be heroic." and I saw you were right.
So my vote is for Zoro (One Piece) with Killua (HxH) close second.

Sorata
October 31, 2006, 08:47 AM
Luckas04 the definition that you find is very well done, an anti-hero is really that, we can see in all these characters all those action - Vegita from Dragon Ball he let Cell live to absorve the a18 just for he sake of a better fight, Sasuke just for the sake of being strong he doesn´t care about fighting and killing is own friends, Ishida just to see who is the stronger(him or Ichigo) he open the Hollow door and put all the people in danger, that´s just some examples of anti-hero actions.

Xophien
October 31, 2006, 09:43 AM
I forgot, there's also Kyo of Samurai Deeper Kyo who is a rarity as he is an anti-hero (and a great one too) while being the main character of the manga (while all other shounen main characters are often Naruto-like...)

An anti-hero in today's books and films will perform acts generally deemed "heroic," but will do so with methods, manners, or intentions that may not be heroic.

The definition is wider than I thought... Then Hiruma Youichi of Eyeshield21 is the one XD

Galth
October 31, 2006, 10:53 AM
Voted Kanda, almost clicked Shin, but yeah, Xophien speaketh teh truth, Hiruma, being in general one of the awesomest manga characters of all time, should be my choice :D

barbapapa
October 31, 2006, 03:58 PM
Vegeta.
Has to be Vegeta; the guy was such a hardass through the entire series, wether he was on the good side or bad.
Heck, he even knocked Bulma up! Respect.

manu
October 31, 2006, 06:18 PM
Vegeta.

lmao

Ok I'm going to vote Rukawa, he was a total badass and only added to the story, plot and humorwise. Unfortunately antiheroes tend to take away from the story or act as a side plot then anything else.

Sorata
November 04, 2006, 09:03 AM
You are right but the fact that they act like side plot make them even more cooler like Seshoumaru, he only appears time to time in the manga, but when he do that it´s full of coolness, the same goes to the other anti-heros.
I really like Kyo from SDK but i don´t put him here because he is the main character of the manga, but he is without doubt one of the best anti-heros ever.

Koen
November 04, 2006, 11:25 AM
Aoshi shinemori, cool guy... great stories behind him

Reloaded
November 04, 2006, 11:39 AM
vegita i just love the way hes evil but good in the same way

juUnior
January 06, 2007, 02:25 PM
From Sasuke, Ishida and Vegeta of kors i pick Vegeta xD His mastermind of all shonen anti heroes. The second whould be Sasuke, and Ishida.. I didn;t think that his such hero at all :x

Istan
April 29, 2008, 12:46 AM
OMG! Are you people serious???

An antihero IS the protagonist! 90% of all those people are NOT anti-heros. True fans of mangas and animes that feature antiheros would twitch at your guys choice of anti-heros.

In fiction, an anti-hero is a protagonist who is lacking the traditional heroic attributes and qualities, and instead possesses character traits that are antithetical to heroism.

Taken straight from wikipedia

and this from the dictionary:
A main character in a dramatic or narrative work who is characterized by a lack of traditional heroic qualities, such as idealism or courage.

OK???

Now then some TRUE anti-heros:

Kyo from Samurai Deeper Kyo(have not read/watch the whole thing but he fits)

Raito(Japanese)/Light(english) from Deathnote

Lelouch from Code Geass

YES im fanatical about anti-heros.

Please calm down, I'm sure you can express your opinions in a nicer way.

OP ROX
October 05, 2008, 06:35 PM
mine would be the exact same as yours... Zoro and Shin... i guess Zoro has a lil more emotion thn Shin.... shin seems like a brick wall sometimes buh hes very cool :D.. and his theme song rocks

Maxy Barnard
October 08, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm looking at this as a 'favourite secondary character in a manga with black hair and an attitude problem of some kind. Can come with spiky hair and/or former villain tendencies due to earlier plot involvement.

cause that's................ well that's just the most annoying cliché in all of shonen mangadom! i suppose if i pick one i'd go for Yu kanda, for never being a villain and lacking spiky hair.

Finestela
October 09, 2008, 05:59 AM
OMG! Are you people serious???

An antihero IS the protagonist! 90% of all those people are NOT anti-heros. True fans of mangas and animes that feature antiheros would twitch at your guys choice of anti-heros.

Now now... I think a lot of the repliers are just thinking about antagonist as oppose to anti (or dark) heros.

Here's some more of my favorites:

Guts from Berserk (though some might say he's become soft as of late... :p)
Lushe from Bastard
Koinzell from Ubel Blatt (debatable)
Kurohime from Kurohime (debatable as well) (ok, fine, anit-heroine! :p)

Shoujo ones:
Well, it's hard to list since a lot of the male protagonists are just there to torment the heroines (or the actual lead of the story), but there are still a few that's just plain evil... or twisted :p

Shion/Kobayashi Rin from Please Save My Earth
(there should be more, but I'll need to think about it hard)

Hollow Kurono
October 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
The best would be..for me atleast.

Vegeta-man hes probably my second favourite charachter and was my fav from the whole dbz,he was so cool :) I so enjoyed watching him.HE was the funniest charachter to :) cant wait for the ova with his brother in it.

Grimmjow-this dude is very alike Vegeta.I like this dude,I like the way he laughts,I like those psycho types,no homo.Im tryin to maintain myself as an anti-hero in real life,cause I dont like beein funny and yellin all the time.

So to me these two are the best.

Vegeta.
Has to be Vegeta; the guy was such a hardass through the entire series, wether he was on the good side or bad.

:D:D respect for a post like that! :D

Luciana
October 12, 2008, 06:42 PM
Anti-hero,uh?
well my fav is Sawada Tsunayoshi .
i mean the poor guy sucks at everything! xD
he needs Reborn's help to do shit xD.

Onomatopoeia
October 16, 2008, 05:45 PM
Seto Kaiba, honestly no contest here.

Zoro is not an Anti-Hero in that he doesn't do things differently from Luffy and is not well known for being the morally conflicted type. I would like a panel where Zoro does something truly terrible against someone that directly conflicts with Luffy(I.E. Killing someone, torturing or whatever would be considered bad in the manga in question) moral value's. The character will also usually have some sort of Tragic Flaw. Smart in no way implies that your an anti-hero.

Killua is arguable.

bunshindattebayo
October 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
Anti-hero,uh?
well my fav is Sawada Tsunayoshi .
i mean the poor guy sucks at everything! xD
he needs Reborn's help to do shit xD.
*Looks at avatar*
Anti-Hero is not a protagonist that can't do anything or weak.It's a type of character that's usually an antagonist/rival but sometimes they help the main characters.Characters like them usually has a cold appearance and attitude.
For example in K.H.Reborn,the anti-heroes are Hibari Kyouya and Rokudou Mukuro.

Luciana
October 18, 2008, 11:20 AM
*Looks at avatar*
Anti-Hero is not a protagonist that can't do anything or weak.It's a type of character that's usually an antagonist/rival but sometimes they help the main characters.Characters like them usually has a cold appearance and attitude.
For example in K.H.Reborn,the anti-heroes are Hibari Kyouya and Rokudou Mukuro.

Nope,to be honest i saw the topic and asked my language teacher before post anything,she said that the anti-hero is the protagonist that yeah can't do anything,the one who brokes the stereotype,
around XVI tales had a lot of Heroes,the typical dude who saved the woman,who won the war but when the era of the novels came/appeared they started using the anti-hero the guy who sucked in everything but yet always find a way to do the things right. /or what he/she wanted.
a good examples for anti-heroes are most of the protagonist of the Marvel comics :3.
Or if you want a manga anti-hero Istan was right Raito is an anti-hero

Onomatopoeia
October 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
An anti-hero is someone who does something heroic but in a different way and when I say different I mean a bad, someone who lacks the goodness and nobility of a normal Hero.

Meaning their good guys but the way they do things is very bad but at the same time can be considered heroic. An anti-hero can be someone who breaks stereo types but thats far to wide a definition in that it applies to many, many, many characters , some of which directly conflict with what we know of Ant-heroes and normal Heroes.

Mukoro can be considered an Anti-Hero because he isn't exactly a good guy in that he kills people a lot. And because he wants to kill Sawada. His actions are noble but the way he does them and his personal goals are not.

Sawada on the other hand, have you ever thought that he killed lots of people to get his goals done?

Luciana
October 18, 2008, 01:47 PM
An anti-hero is someone who does something heroic but in a different way and when I say different I mean a bad, someone who lacks the goodness and nobility of a normal Hero.

Meaning their good guys but the way they do things is very bad but at the same time can be considered heroic. An anti-hero can be someone who breaks stereo types but thats far to wide a definition in that it applies to many, many, many characters , some of which directly conflict with what we know of Ant-heroes and normal Heroes.

Mukoro can be considered an Anti-Hero because he isn't exactly a good guy in that he kills people a lot. And because he wants to kill Sawada. His actions are noble but the way he does them and his personal goals are not.

Sawada on the other hand, have you ever thought that he killed lots of people to get his goals done?

Ok.an anti-hero isn't exactly the villain or the bad guy,the anti-hero can be a good guy .
also an anti-hero isn't necesary the one who kills someone to get his goals.
Put it simply the anti-hero is the one who kills the sterotype,the stereotype of the one who is perfect,never fails and in the end of the history gets everything.
the one who fails or the one who is victorious thanks to the other.
a really good example (other yeah...) Maxwell Smart or Agent 86 :).

Onomatopoeia
October 20, 2008, 03:19 PM
Ok.an anti-hero isn't exactly the villain or the bad guy,the anti-hero can be a good guy .
also an anti-hero isn't necesary the one who kills someone to get his goals.
Put it simply the anti-hero is the one who kills the sterotype,the stereotype of the one who is perfect,never fails and in the end of the history gets everything.
the one who fails or the one who is victorious thanks to the other.
a really good example (other yeah...) Maxwell Smart or Agent 86 :).

Before going any further I would like to ask is any character in a Shounen Manga that is perfect? Or for that matter never fails? And gets everything he/she wants?

An Anti-Hero is someone who direcly conflicts with our moral views. For instance Seto Kaiba is heroic in that he defeats the enemies but he normally does it in a very cruel way, questionable motives, and directly conflicts with views of right and wrong.

Sawada is Noble in protecting the innocent, has good moral values in wishing for everyone to be alive including enemies, and is obviously magnanimous

L for instance is most certainly not an anti-hero but he does break a stereotype. On the other hand Lelouch from Code Geass most certainly is an anti-hero but he's a huge walking stereotype. In fact I could argue that most Anti-Heroes now a days are stereotypes.

As I've already said your definition is far to ambiguous and wide so that it conflicts with what we know.

Maphisto40
October 26, 2008, 06:57 PM
My favorite Shounen manga anti-heroes would be:

Hermit/6th Fist/Tanimoto from History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi. I loved this guy from the first time he showed his true colors as an irritable bastard. He's a bishie, a badass fighter, and conflicted about his true loyalties. Plus, I love his interactions with Kenichi's little sister Honoka, and with Niijima (the alien-looking guy)...it's hilarious.

Hermit:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/Maphisto40/HSD%20Kenichi/Hermit.jpg

Killua from Hunter x Hunter. This is one scary-ass kid (only 13 at this point). He's been in the family assassination business since he was what, 6 years old?!? I love how ruthless he is, but still manages to keep a bit of innocence. His relationship with Gon is probably the best thing that could happen to him, besides learning Nen and getting his Hunter's License (the 2nd exam he took was awesome).

Killua:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/Maphisto40/Hunter%20X%20Hunter/Killua.jpg

Kurei from Flame of Recca. This is a true bastard, though we find out later what his motives are. I enjoyed the relationship between Kurei and his younger brother Recca, which never really progresses beyond mutual antipathy. Kurei's actions during the last two story arcs (which were never animated) were wicked, ruthless, and great to see. I found myself wishing he would appear more often.

Kurei (wearing a mask, as usual):
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/Maphisto40/Flame%20of%20Recca/Kurei.jpg

Kaiten
October 24, 2010, 11:12 PM
Which manga characters do you like to dislike the most? Villains, rival characters, anti-heroes, jerks, idiots or anyone who makes the main characters life miserable qualifies. Lists aren't necessary, post as you think of characters. Some reason is good, just names are pretty boring ;)

Griffith, Berserk (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=88): Despite his angelic appearance, or maybe because of it, he is one of the most sinister characters in manga.

Hoshi, Arakawa Under the Bridge (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=7227): Musician, rival for Nino's love, and all around jerk. Hoshi is a great spoiled brat rival, never quite catching Ric, but never giving up.

Roflkopt3r
October 25, 2010, 12:21 AM
Guts, from Berserk as well: This might be restricted to the first chapters, but he really acts as an anti hero there! Not caring about dying people, slaughtering anyone in his path, even taking a count's daugther for hostage. Going rampage in battle, only caring for slicing his enemies. In his most hot-blooded times, he's the perfect berserker, not caring for wounds or anything, only obsessed with killing!

Corkus, a minor character of Berserk: He's a typical jerk, preying on the weak and just running as soon as he faces a strong opponent. Even telling Guts that, from time to time, he aimed some arrows at him in battle when nobody would notice. He's a fun character though :D
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080609073713/berserk/images/6/68/Corkus.jpg

Kenpachi of Bleach: One of the few Characters I liked from that series... Cool attitude, caring for nothing but battle... but way less purposefully than Guts in his berserker times, sadly, way too much talking involved.

Alucard of Hellsing: Very stylish, but at the same time a hearthless battle fanatic - great combination!

Kogan of Shigurui: The term of hero or antihero might be missplaced for Shigurui, but this man is a true demon with unmatched coldhearthedness.

Crude
October 25, 2010, 03:51 AM
Kyoya Hibari from Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn!:
I used to hate his guts due to him constantly humiliating the main characters by beating them up so easily. In fact, one of my favourite scenes from the series is when Tsuna slaps him silly with a slipper :D! He's a main character too now, and he has shown that he cares for his comrades, albeit in his own strange little way. Plus he has a soft spot for animals. He's still pretty much a badass jerk anti-hero though.

Grimmjow Jeagerjaques from Bleach:
An awesome psychopath of a villain (especially when you see that crazy smile of his). He's brutal and crazy, and lives to fight main character Ichigo. Basically a badass insane villain with an awesome character design.

Samui
October 25, 2010, 02:34 PM
Blackbeard (One Piece), Friend (20th Century Boys), Johan (Monster)... hmm, need to think more.

Kaiten
October 25, 2010, 03:21 PM
What makes them your favorites? Why them, not other characters from other mangas?

saladesu
October 26, 2010, 01:39 AM
Envy, from Fullmetal Alchemist.
Sinister, badass, crazy, but deep down was just (as his name suggested), envious of humans.

Spoiler tag in case.
I used to really hate him for the way he killed Hughes, and reveled in having done so, and later also reveling in how he managed to spark off the entire Ishval war by shooting an Ishvalan child... He's also very bad-tempered and egoistical. But when he committed suicide it was actually kinda sad... :/ A very memorable villain (even if he was one of many)

Shishio Makoto, from Rurouni Kenshin.
Nice character design, ruthless, coldblooded, living by the code that "the strong will live and the weak will die"... He even enslaved an entire village for their onsen since he would never be allowed to (or wouldn't want to) use a public onsen, what with all his burns :O

From an anime but still a villain nonetheless?
Lord Genome, from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
He was the embodiment of evil and the main enemy at the start of Gurren Lagann but later on he joined the Gurren-dan side as a bio computer. He was badass during the series itself, but then there was this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2JzfLU8Ds) during the movie (I forgot if it was Lagann-hen or Gurren-hen) and I was sold.

Asarii
October 26, 2010, 11:31 PM
Kyoya Hibari from Katekyoushi Hitman Reborn!:
I used to hate his guts due to him constantly humiliating the main characters by beating them up so easily. In fact, one of my favourite scenes from the series is when Tsuna slaps him silly with a slipper :D! He's a main character too now, and he has shown that he cares for his comrades, albeit in his own strange little way. Plus he has a soft spot for animals. He's still pretty much a badass jerk anti-hero though...

I read on different board that Hibari was a parody of the shounen badass archetype. :p Although I see it, I can't help but like him still! His speech mannerisms are really adorable.

From the same series, Daemon Spade. Don't be fooled by his charming appearance. He's an evil man who is willing to do whatever twisted means possible to make his family stronger. His actions in the Primo arc proved this, and there's definitely more to him than meets the eye.

Sorry for being vague; that's all I can say about him without going into too much detail.

M3J
October 26, 2010, 11:47 PM
My favorite manga villain (though he ultimately wasn't) would be Itachi. He'd be amongst the top in a list anyway. His fight against Kakashi in Part I was awesome. His cold emotionless eyes showed how evil he was, and the fact that he was able to take out Kakashi without moving and even inspire some fear in Kakashi, without using majority of his power, showed how powerful he was. Itachi ultimately could have become one of the best villains in Naruto.

Next would have to be Garp. I consider him a villain as he goes or went against Luffy. Garp's shown to be awesome, yet hilarious. He is pretty carefree and laid back despite being vice-admiral. I don't really necessary consider him a villain the way I would to Blackbeard or Crocodile though.

Vegeta is a great villain, anti-hero, and rival. He's merciless and ruthless enough to be a villain, and his badass demeanor and ability to come at the right time makes him a good anti-hero. His penchant for combat and desire to be the strongest makes him a great rival as Goku would want to get stronger.

Shinobu is a deep villain. We thought he wanted to create havoc, but all he desired to do was die in the demon world. He acted like an asshole, but it was for a good purpose. He was still a good guy, in a way. He was basically fucked up seeing at the way humans acted towards demons. there was more to him than just power, being twisted, or just being nice. I guess I can list younger Toguro here as well.

Hiei is one of the best anti-heroes ever! 'Nuff said! He's pretty cool and humorous! Plus, he can get the job right as well! Even if he's an asshole and is willing to kill other insignificant pests, he looks badass doing so. He even has a soft side... at least for his sister and comrades.

Oga's a good anti-hero as well! dunno what to sayhere, but he just is.

naruto-niichan
October 27, 2010, 09:41 AM
Yagami Light from Death Note: The biggest Anti-Hero ever for me, because his intentions aren't pure "evil". His way of doing things are really questionable but I found myself to like him in some way. The wish to become the God of a new world is totally crazy but I could understand his original idea of cleaning the world of all devil. He's the perfect example of someone who wants do to the "right thing" and getting crazy because of too much power.

Kei Kurono from Gantz: The perfect anti-hero at the start of the manga. Only thinking of himself and sees everyone else as worthless trash. Again a good example how a person can change drastically after a lot of experiments he went through.

Kaiten
October 28, 2010, 12:19 PM
Envy, from Fullmetal Alchemist.
Sinister, badass, crazy, but deep down was just (as his name suggested), envious of humans.

Spoiler tag in case.
I used to really hate him for the way he killed Hughes, and reveled in having done so, and later also reveling in how he managed to spark off the entire Ishval war by shooting an Ishvalan child... He's also very bad-tempered and egoistical. But when he committed suicide it was actually kinda sad... :/ A very memorable villain (even if he was one of many)

From an anime but still a villain nonetheless?
Lord Genome, from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
He was the embodiment of evil and the main enemy at the start of Gurren Lagann but later on he joined the Gurren-dan side as a bio computer. He was badass during the series itself, but then there was this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2JzfLU8Ds) during the movie (I forgot if it was Lagann-hen or Gurren-hen) and I was sold.

Envy was epic! Such an evil character, maybe the most loathsome of the homunculus. Even if he hadn't killed who he killed, I'd love to hate him. That condescending attitude, ruthlessness, and inferiority complex added up to a very memorable villain. Though, I think my favorite homunculus was Pride, his appearance made him so sinister looking - not the way one would expect the top henchman to look. I think the scene where he was revealed was one of the most memorable in the series.

Lord Genome was another favorite. He was much cooler than the anti-spirals. His post time skip role, and the accompanying plot twist, was very cool too.

clamche
October 29, 2010, 02:53 AM
My favorite villains are Suigintou from Rozen Maiden ( though she is not very evil ) because of her really strong and pure love for Father and Millenium Earl from D Gray Man because he looks funny but is scary and loves his minions never gets angry at them and is shown to have strong emotions

<.Haruka.>
November 01, 2010, 12:44 PM
The best anti-hero for me is Scar from FMA.
He never takes anyone's side except for his own resolve.
Scar is both a threat to the military and the Homunculi (almost everyone) until in the end of the chapters of the manga he helped Ed and others to fight Father.
Scar has a tragic past and he appears to be harsh & cruel to anyone who is against Ishbalan teaching and probably his mission too.

My second favorite villain would be Hitomi from Code: Breaker.
An ex-code who used to be the Code: 01 and one of the strongest power user. He looks an easy-going ("lackadaisical" according to Ogami) but he's strong, intelligent and somehow hold some secrets about Eden (the organization who brought up the codes).

Kaiten
January 13, 2011, 03:09 AM
How could I forget Scar :( One of my favorite characters from one of my favorite series. So dedicated to revenge that he abandoned his name, can't get much more bad ass than that (unless your name is Guts).

Kurumi is another favorite, one of the great shojo rival characters. Her relationship with Sawako is so complicated, more so than the average rival characters. There is a mutual respect, almost like they are rooting for and against each other at the same time.
[hr]
Baka-Ouji from Level E (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4834) is becoming one of my favorite manga jerks. The universes greatest intellect dedicated to nothing other than practical jokes on a galactic scale.

Roflkopt3r
January 13, 2011, 07:09 AM
The Aoshika coach of Nononono is a despicable guy in every regard possible. There is no way any reader could actually like him, but as a device of storytelling this does make him an interesting character. Other than many villains, there is really nothing likeable about him, after all most characters posted here are charismatic or in some way "likeable" due to certain traits.
It's pretty disgusting, but on the other side refreshing to have such a villain who is just purely contemptible. His background, how he became that way, is unknown so far. It might be anything, possibly it's just a bad combination of incompetence and lack of insight/immaturity.

His catalogue of misdeeds isn't even that long:

As a coach, his ski jumping team delivers rather mediocre results measured at the previous ones of Aoshika school. As his contract is drawing to an end, he desperatly needs to win an upcoming tournament, or he would definitly lose his job.
As a result, he bribes someone from Nonomiya's (the protagonist) school, to manipulate the skis of their arguably best team member, and he would help that guy to get to a good ski jumping school from where he would certainly be able to rise to the all japan junior team.

As a result, the targeted ski jumper loses one of his ski mid air, spectacular crashes and ends up heavily injured, lucky not to die. The coach is quite happy about that.

However, the last two remaining jumpers - Nonomiya and Amatsu - manage to still win, even though they lack a team member now and jump two versus three, due to a spectacular jump of the black horse Nonomiya.
The coach not only loses his job, but also his crime is beeing revealed.

A while later, by chance he comes to see Nonomiya's secret that she's actually a girl only disguised as a guy, because girls are not allowed to participate in the olympics and her life goal is to win a gold medal for her deceased family.
The Coach decides to take revenge on her, now that he knows her secret, and in the last chapters it seems that he's succeeding in turning her (15 years old) into his sex slave now...

Asclepius
January 13, 2011, 07:48 AM
The Noahs from D.Gray-man. Specially Tyki, Sheryl and Road.
They are the villains but I actually want them to win in the end. The guys are the sexiest villains I have ever seen in shounen mangas/animes, they are funny and VERY CRUEL. They like to play with their prey before killing/mutilating.

mattiaildivino
January 14, 2011, 01:48 PM
VEGETA of DRAGON BALL! but when we talk about DB ,every character,every thing is perfect!
about other villains I like Sasori,Deidara and Kimimaro of Naruto,even though my favourite of this manga is Itachi,who we couldn't call him a villain...
for One Piece,surely Ener!!!
and I found nice a character of Goku,Yazoo.

Asarii
February 15, 2011, 08:01 PM
There are two characters in Bakuman that fits. It's interesting because they share a similarity in that many people like their stories; however, the way they are portrayed is different.

Rival - Niizuma Eiji: He's the obvious one since he doesn't have to try very hard at being good, and this helps motivate Ashirogi Muto to do even better. Even though he's a rival character, I like the fact that he also compliments them when they do well. (Most rivals wouldn't dare give any praises.)

Villain - Nanamine Toru: Yes, if Eiji is considered a rival then this new character is what I'd call a villain. Not only does he manipulate his editor, he also uses his internet "friends" as well. He's taking advantage of a lot of people and uses dirty methods to get what he wants. Personally I think this will backfire on him eventually but we'll see.

Roflkopt3r
February 15, 2011, 11:15 PM
Weird, thought I had him added to this list long ago:

Dou Haguro (Wolfen Crest): Other than most other villains, he isn't a real mastermind himself. Rather, he's totally mad. He starts cold-hearted and calculating in his role as a mafia bosses son who has his own lackeys, but becomes aimlessly brutal and totally thrown off-balance by Akira (the protagonist), bringing him into an absolutely confused state of mind. He's like a rabid animal then.

I really liked that. Usually it's the protagonist or some minor characters having such problems, but here it's the villain himself which felt kinda innovative to me.
As Wolf Guy is very explicit, it can display him "properly" in his role.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Anime%20Manga/Ch43HowamIamonster.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Anime%20Manga/Ch63ItEnds.jpg

saladesu
February 16, 2011, 09:09 AM
Was just thinking about Nana and remembered this jerk:
Takumi from Nana
I really can't stand him. He sleeps with Hachi, supposedly gets her pregnant, and when she's not sure if the child is really his or Nobu's, he refuses to leave her and practically scares Nobu to tears. And despite saying he loves Hachi, he still cheats on her with Reira and other people :fail He doesn't seem to care much for Hachi even after their marriage. I feel so sad for Hachi :<

Villain - Nanamine Toru: Yes, if Eiji is considered a rival then this new character is what I'd call a villain. Not only does he manipulate his editor, he also uses his internet "friends" as well. He's taking advantage of a lot of people and uses dirty methods to get what he wants. Personally I think this will backfire on him eventually but we'll see.

I totally love Nanamine! :nuts Although I disagree with his methods, he is an awesome character and is making this arc of Bakuman simply brilliant (hey Asa why do I not see you in the Bakuman forum, eh? :pwnge). The way he is so two-faced and especially how he treated his editor in the latest chapter made me really love to hate him. But like I said, he's a brilliant character. Props to Ohba-sensei for creating him, and I can't wait to see what becomes of him. I hope he doesn't disappear from the plot hereafter.

Asarii
February 17, 2011, 01:24 AM
I totally love Nanamine! :nuts Although I disagree with his methods, he is an awesome character and is making this arc of Bakuman simply brilliant (hey Asa why do I not see you in the Bakuman forum, eh? :pwnge). The way he is so two-faced and especially how he treated his editor in the latest chapter made me really love to hate him. But like I said, he's a brilliant character. Props to Ohba-sensei for creating him, and I can't wait to see what becomes of him. I hope he doesn't disappear from the plot hereafter.
What he's doing is heartless so I scolded him out loud ("How could you!!") when I read the recent chapters. However he's adding a whole new spin to the story and I'm thankful he's here. My feelings for him is conflicting: I love him, I hate him I love him, I hate him... XD (Yes, I'll visit your section soon as I promised myself I'll branch out more.)

M3J
February 17, 2011, 01:28 AM
Weird, thought I had him added to this list long ago:

Dou Haguro (Wolfen Crest): Other than most other villains, he isn't a real mastermind himself. Rather, he's totally mad. He starts cold-hearted and calculating in his role as a mafia bosses son who has his own lackeys, but becomes aimlessly brutal and totally thrown off-balance by Akira (the protagonist), bringing him into an absolutely confused state of mind. He's like a rabid animal then.

I really liked that. Usually it's the protagonist or some minor characters having such problems, but here it's the villain himself which felt kinda innovative to me.
As Wolf Guy is very explicit, it can display him "properly" in his role.

Not only that, but he's totally fucked up. As you said, he's a pretty evil person who won't hesitate to do inappropriate stuff that if I mention it here, it'll get me yelled at. What he did to Chiba was pretty nasty. He's definitely a favorite villain even if he's scary.

Roflkopt3r
February 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
Not only that, but he's totally fucked up. As you said, he's a pretty evil person who won't hesitate to do inappropriate stuff that if I mention it here, it'll get me yelled at. What he did to Chiba was pretty nasty. He's definitely a favorite villain even if he's scary.

Oh man, Ch. 76 totally caught me off-guard in that regards... His change of moods got even more extreme, and his perverted violent character is as blunt as ever.

http://i999.mangareader.net/wolf-guy-ookami-no-monshou/76/wolf-guy-ookami-no-monshou-2025951.jpg

http://i999.mangareader.net/wolf-guy-ookami-no-monshou/76/wolf-guy-ookami-no-monshou-2025965.jpg

M3J
February 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
Dou is so freakin' evil, man.
He changed his mood because he wanted Aoshika still alive so Inugami would come to him, so he got pissed at his men raping her. I don't think he'd have given a crap if he knew she wouldn't have killed herself to stop this torture. It was scary to see him not give a shit after he knew Inugami was coming after him... I really hope he doesn't make her bite her tongue or kills her.

Poor Aoshika, continuously raped like that....

Roflkopt3r
February 22, 2011, 05:51 AM
Dou is so freakin' evil, man.
He changed his mood because he wanted Aoshika still alive so Inugami would come to him, so he got pissed at his men raping her. I don't think he'd have given a crap if he knew she wouldn't have killed herself to stop this torture. It was scary to see him not give a shit after he knew Inugami was coming after him... I really hope he doesn't make her bite her tongue or kills her.

Poor Aoshika, continuously raped like that....

Yeah he's showing how broken he is like never before :s
Btw when he has this totally mad facial expression, he starts looking a lot like the Joker of Batman imo. Only, like a much, much more evil, more perverted, more reckless and more disgusting Joker!
He's the ultimate 18+/adult only villain!

Another "Joker Face" in Ch. 77: http://i999.mangareader.net/wolf-guy-ookami-no-monshou/77/wolf-guy-ookami-no-monshou-2027761.jpg

saladesu
February 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
Reading Hana Yori Dango now, and I really can't stand Doumyouji Kaede (Tsukasa's mother) :mad I hated her methods when watching the drama, and reading the manga now made me remember it all over again. She's called the iron lady and she will really use her power and authority and money and influence to screw up the lives of whoever she likes (or should I say dislike). She would even do that to those her children love and go as far as to ruin the lives of the people around them to force them into submission to her. She's so arrogant and snobby.

... She actually becomes okay at the end of the drama when she accepts Tsukushi. But I dunno how it is for the manga as I haven't reached the end yet

Galactic Tomahawk
March 04, 2011, 05:47 AM
Two of my overall favorites and a more recent one:

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/1624/kira1.jpg
Yoshikage Kira

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5866/140840.jpg
So Dakki

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6181/misogikumagawa.jpg
Misogi Kumagawa