PDA

View Full Version : Discussion What is Your Favorite Genre?

Drmke
November 09, 2010, 02:36 PM
This is a thread where you can tell us what your favorite genre(s) of seinen manga is. You can discuss why you think a certain type of genre is better than others. Feel free to tell us your least favorite as well.

For me, my favorite is Fantasy. I like it best because in a fantasy world, all things are possible, nothing is unimaginable. When reading about fantasy worlds, whether they are similar to our own or not, it's exciting because you never know what is lurking in the next chapter.

If I had to pick a least favorite genre in seinen, I think I'd pick battle manga. Though few and far between when it comes to seinen, they do exists and tend to be more boring than even shonen battle manga. I just can't get into them :\

Roflkopt3r
November 09, 2010, 02:53 PM
I preferr a reality-based slightly fantastical scenario, such as Shigurui and Berserk.

Berserk, in a huge proportion, had absolutely nothing to do with fantasy at all but shows a normal medieval scenario, and from time to time spreaded in some fantasy elements - which made them appear much more fantastical than in a very fantasy-heavy scenario. If I take The greatest fusion fantasy for example, it totally bored me from the start because it didn't have any realistic concept in it. On the other hand I don't dislike total fantasy scenarios by default again...

Shigurui, quite similar to Berserk, starts in a realistic setting but spreads in fantasy or supernatural things even less - It's incredibly realistic over most stages and just "exceeds" nature from time to time in a mostly very slight manner, or by alluding to myths a little.

Well, it's just a specific kind of scenario I noticed as quite nice, I don't really depend on genres.

benelori
November 10, 2010, 08:03 AM
I don't really have a favorite...though I like sci-fi, utopia like stories...my favorite series are the ones with a great psychological impact, so I guess that somehow transcends the boundaries of genre...Homunculus is the best example...

baboysai
November 10, 2010, 09:13 AM
I like slice-of-life bits, seinen is really good in that genre because they're deeper and more poetic, usually, compared to other slice-of-life of other demographics.

I'm not into sci-fi or fantasy much, because other demographics excel in those genres, especially shounen.

Period/ History genres like Vagabond and Vinland Saga are also quite interesting. Since the seinen artists try to make them as accurate as possible, and I like exploring different cultures.

I don't really have a favorite...though I like sci-fi, utopia like stories...my favorite series are the ones with a great psychological impact, so I guess that somehow transcends the boundaries of genre...Homunculus is the best example...

One inherent quality that is unique in seinen is the mindf*ck twists that screw your head thirty times over. This you can't find in any other demographic. So mystery, contemporary, or conceptual manga are awesome for seinen. They are really unmatched. Like Doubt and Monster.

Would you consider Liar Game as a sci-fi?

Drmke
November 10, 2010, 01:00 PM
[/I]Would you consider Liar Game as a sci-fi?

I wouldn't because it doesn't really incorporate any sci-fi elements. Everything in the series is totally plausible in our current time.

Kaiten
November 11, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure I have a favorite genre, rather I have a preferred style. I mostly, though not exclusively, read alternative manga and gekiga. The style of comics serialized in AX, Garo, Comic Cue, Comic Beam, IKKI, Manga Erotics F, and Morning 2 are usually my favorites. I like a lot of mainstream seinen that follow gekiga tradition too, Berserk and Blame! being good examples.

My taste in genre is pretty broad: I read slice of life, comedy, sci-fi, action, fantasy, historical, slice of life, heta-uma (deliberately bad art), and psychological.

I'm a pretty big fan of psychological manga. Freesia is probably my favorite of the genre. The characters are so realistically disturbed, the content of the series is so troubling. A lot of people are turned off by the sexual and violent images but it's a really brutal, awesome series. All of Jiro Matsumoto's manga are really amazing, psychological, and disturbing.

I like slice-of-life bits, seinen is really good in that genre because they're deeper and more poetic, usually, compared to other slice-of-life of other demographics.

I agree. Slice of life seinen are so much deeper, more literary than the genre is for younger demographics. A good true to life seinen reads more like a book than a comic.

I'm not into sci-fi or fantasy much, because other demographics excel in those genres, especially shounen.

There are some really good action/sci-fi seinen, that go far beyond what can be found in shonen. The ones I read have a more pronounced Franco/Belgian style, more emphasis on the psychology of the characters, or more unusual settings and art styles. Mainstream seinen action usually does very little for me, a few series aside, but the series that have descended more directly from gekiga can be amazing.

Period/ History genres like Vagabond and Vinland Saga are also quite interesting. Since the seinen artists try to make them as accurate as possible, and I like exploring different cultures.

Historical manga seems to be a dead genre in shonen. There are a few good ones, like Gamaran (which I need to catch up on), but it seems like the emphasis on Dragonball style action has bled out historical in general.

[/I]Would you consider Liar Game as a sci-fi?

More like psychological drama. The emphasis on gambling and game theory are very realistic, even if the actual events of the series can be a bit over dramatic.

benelori
November 12, 2010, 05:09 AM
One inherent quality that is unique in seinen is the mindf*ck twists that screw your head thirty times over. This you can't find in any other demographic. So mystery, contemporary, or conceptual manga are awesome for seinen. They are really unmatched. Like Doubt and Monster.

Would you consider Liar Game as a sci-fi?

That is soo true...but U see that's why I don't read slice-of-life at all...I started Hour of the Mice though, but just because I was interested in their struggle with that institute...for me slice-of-life can't really offer good twists...

I'm a pretty recent visitor of the manga world so I never heard of conceptual manga before, but I will sure check that title out.

Liar Game is by no means sci-fi...sci-fi is pretty well defined, Liar Game being more like psychological drama I guess:blink...I'm pretty rusty with such terms
[hr]

I'm a pretty big fan of psychological manga. Freesia is probably my favorite of the genre. The characters are so realistically disturbed, the content of the series is so troubling. A lot of people are turned off by the sexual and violent images but it's a really brutal, awesome series. All of Jiro Matsumoto's manga are really amazing, psychological, and disturbing.

I agree. Slice of life seinen are so much deeper, more literary than the genre is for younger demographics. A good true to life seinen reads more like a book than a comic.

That's why I like these threads...new titles for me to read...thx:thumbs...

What I forgot so say about slice-of-life...I like them when events are not taking place in our time and/or world...what really interests me when I decide to read something, is the creativity with the world in the first place, so exploring past worlds/times or future ones is soo much more interesting for me

baboysai
November 12, 2010, 11:16 PM
you should explore the seinen slice-of-life benelori, if you like reading [books]. er... I can't remember any at the moment. They're usually one-shots and I'm bad with names and stuff.

okay, try Cool Lady by Nananan Kiriko. you can download it from Mangatraders. It's just a very short chapter.

raikou
November 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
I like many kinds of seinen. slice of life, action, fantasy,comedy,historical,etc. Seinen is good in almost every genre, i think. But my favorite type of seinen is seinen with real-life/reality setting and psychological type. So Slice of life series is one of my favorites.

thornofcarrion
November 23, 2010, 11:59 PM
Hmmm...I prefer sci-fi, supernatural, action, fantasy, and psychological - in nutshell I prefer action based series. I do not read slice-of-life at all :maracas. Seinen series appeals me most. They are usually more realistic, more realism in terms of emotional substance, well established storyline, variety of artwork, etc. Most of my favorites are recently Seinen series.

shaheer
November 24, 2010, 12:25 AM
I love Slice of life Genre....
other than taht i like action ... sometimes fantasy if its worth it....
hate ecchi.... and harem....
demographic wise i like seinen the best...due to (generally speaking) matured story and characters and general lack of Deus ex machinas......
Oh hate Bi-shonens....and the bubbles and the sparkles and the pink structures....that being said means that i dun like shojos much :p