PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Fanworks Thread

Asarii
November 16, 2010, 10:38 PM
We all read manga of course, but I was wondering if any of us have found other means to enjoy a series. They can be anything: cosplaying, making AMVs, writing fanfiction etc. Anything goes! Tell us about your experience and what you do with the hobby. :)

If you want to link to your works, please do share! Remember not to claim something made by others as your own. That's not cool.[hr]
Fanfiction: I've written four and the most recent was written in 2007. I really want to get into the habit of writing again, but sadly I'm a slow writer and with my current schedule it'll take me forever to finish. I don't have the willpower nor confidence to write a multi-chapter story so all of them are one-shots.

I wrote for Death Note, Teen Titans and I have two Naruto fics. They're a bit embarrassing to read now, but at the time I felt proud of myself. :p

Making graphics: This avatar (among my previous ones) and the current signature is made myself. After a long wait I finally acquired Photoshop (version CS4). It's so much fun to play around with even though I'm not an elite maker by any means.

Fan soundtracks (FST): This is where my love of music and manga merge together! I've recently gotten into this hobby, and I have around two sets so far. Compiling songs is quite fun because it really gets you thinking about the characters/groups/parings.

R4n
November 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
Making FSTs can be fun. Whenever i listen to a song or music sometimes i think "ah, this song reminds me of xxx character or this scene". But i never make a proper one because i have no patience for it. Not to mention i feel kinda guilty sharing music to public. It is hypocritical because i download musics but i feel guilty sharing them.

The only fanworks i ever did is some very crappy doodles. I am aware that i am a crappy writer and i have little interest in creative writing, so i never write fics. xD
But i do admire some really good fanfic writers.

I don't think making graphics can be considered 'fanworks'. No offence to you, but some icon/banner makers i see tend to steal fanarts. What i meant is that they grab fanarts from pixiv/da and edit them without crediting the artists. It is really bad when they merely crop them, don't credit the artist and demand credit on other people's hardwork. It is even worse when the artists specifically ask not to make graphics from their works (in English) but the graphic makers do it anyway. :notrust:notrust:notrust
Merely putting a desaturation/saturation layer and add a text or two can't be compared with creating the art from scratch.
I can't stand those types. It is the same as stealing. I know a lot of fanartists who got frustated of such thing and end up closing their fanart sites and accounts.
For some reason i have no qualm at all with editing official arts. Well, some icon makers i see really do a nice edit and colorings, so i don't actually dislike all of them.

Crude
November 17, 2010, 01:17 PM
The only thing that I do that I'd say is fanwork would be fanart. I like drawing characters from my favourite series in different artstyles. Not sure if you remember this Asarii, but you once asked me if I could do a fanart of Yamamoto in my style :D. I will draw one, but recently I've been reevaluating (is that how you write it) my art, learning realism and what not. Once I'm satisfied with my skills, I'll start drawing manga again :).

I also like making graphics such as avatars and signatures. The signatures I'm most proud of would be my Naruto "Dattebayo!" sig, and my Reborn! guardian sig series. It's interesting work, because I quite like graphic design and I'm thinking of studying it in uni next year.

As for cosplay... I'd say no. I appreciate how hard some people work on their costumes, some of them looking really good, but the majority just looks cheap and kitschy. I once had a desire to dress up in the ninja garb the Konoha ninja use in Naruto, but then I was against the idea. If I ever did cosplay, I'd dress up as more realistic characters (in terms of appearance), such as those in Death Note, Bakuman, Reborn! (I'd actually would love to be able to pull of a Yamamoto one :D!) or Baccano! (I like gangster clothes :)).

Asarii
November 17, 2010, 08:37 PM
The only fanworks i ever did is some very crappy doodles. I am aware that i am a crappy writer and i have little interest in creative writing, so i never write fics. xD
But i do admire some really good fanfic writers.
Your doodles were cute though! <3

Writing constantly will definitely improve one's skills. For example, the prose of a fanfic writer I admire is very well-written. I compared the first one she'd done to her most recent work, and the style is very different.

I don't think making graphics can be considered 'fanworks'. No offence to you, but some icon/banner makers i see tend to steal fanarts.
Don't worry, no offense taken. Using someone else's fanart as a base is a tricky matter, and personally I wouldn't use it at all since I would feel guilty about it.

The only thing that I do that I'd say is fanwork would be fanart. I like drawing characters from my favourite series in different artstyles. Not sure if you remember this Asarii, but you once asked me if I could do a fanart of Yamamoto in my style :D. I will draw one, but recently I've been reevaluating (is that how you write it) my art, learning realism and what not. Once I'm satisfied with my skills, I'll start drawing manga again :).
Reconditioning the style you've been used to will take a while so take your time with the Yamamoto fanart! I'm currently browsing your DeviantArt account and although it's not fanart per se, I really like the grunge style to the three architecture pieces.

I also like making graphics such as avatars and signatures. The signatures I'm most proud of would be my Naruto "Dattebayo!" sig, and my Reborn! guardian sig series. It's interesting work, because I quite like graphic design and I'm thinking of studying it in uni next year.
I love all your avatars and signatures I've seen so far. They all have a pop look to it. I wish you the best in your artistic endeavor at university!

Crude
November 18, 2010, 12:08 PM
Aww, that just made my day. Thanks :)! Thing is I haven't really settled on a style yet, but I'm working on it, though I do like working with different styles and experimenting.

I like fanfiction, though I have to admit that I don't read much. I used to not be able to understand why people would waste their writing skills doing fanfics, but then I realized that it was just like fanart, something you do for fun and also because you like a series. Some fanfics I've read have even better plots than the original series. As for which fanfics I like the most, usually it's the short story ones, describing mundane and/or comic events.

Asarii
November 18, 2010, 09:06 PM
You're welcome! I hope you'll find the right style soon enough.

My favourite genre is probably the crack stories where the characters are placed in very crazy situations. :XD Although I also like the psychological fics where I can find out how someone else interprets a certain characters. Who knows, I might view the character in a whole new light after reading the fic.

If you ship characters that aren't canon, fanfiction can also be a nice way to make it happen.

R4n
November 19, 2010, 06:30 AM
LMAO, have you ever accidentally read any yaoi fanfiction? That was how i got pulled to the dark side introduced to yaoi in the beginning. I was very young and naive then, i think it scarred my mind forever OTL... :s:s::s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

I know they usually put warnings such as 'A x B' or 'BL' on it, but i didn't even know what it meant then! 0__0

Googlez_kun
November 19, 2010, 08:58 PM
I for one love to draw Naruto characters,because i like their designs and i also love to color Naruto and other panels or pages,as you might have noticed already.^^

I haven't found any other way to express my fan inside,but i guess that's enough already.^^

Asarii
December 18, 2010, 08:34 PM
LMAO, have you ever accidentally read any yaoi fanfiction? That was how i got pulled to the dark side introduced to yaoi in the beginning. I was very young and naive then, i think it scarred my mind forever OTL... :s:s::s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

I know they usually put warnings such as 'A x B' or 'BL' on it, but i didn't even know what it meant then! 0__0
I haven't actually. :XD I usually prefer general over pairing fics. (Even with my own ships.)

All those acronyms, eh? There is also the significance of one character being the first one mentioned in the pair. When you're in the KHR fandom you have a whole new set of abbreviations to memorize.

I for one love to draw Naruto characters,because i like their designs and i also love to color Naruto and other panels or pages,as you might have noticed already.^^

I haven't found any other way to express my fan inside,but i guess that's enough already.^^
I saw your beautiful colouring of Konan a while back! :tem

Do you have a DeviantArt by any chance? I would love to see the other colourings you have done.
[hr]
I joined a "just for fun" fanfiction contest yesterday. XD (I'm not here to win; I'm just going to have fun. LOL) Even though I haven't written in a few years, I'm going to give it a shot. I have some ideas, but not enough to get started.

Googlez participated in the colouring contest a while back, and I wonder if anyone else partook in a contest as well?