PDA

View Full Version : Theory How Gol D. Roger was able to write in ancient language

Fang
November 22, 2010, 07:02 AM
I believe Nico Robin's mother was on Gol D. Rogers ship when he conquered the Grand Line. Thats how he was able to leave his message in Skypiea. Im probably completely wrong but it was just a random thought i had this morning lol

BlackHair
November 22, 2010, 08:59 AM
I had a similar thought once too. But not necessarily her mother, but her father. However that idea was crushed as Rayleigh was introduced and with his 0% reaction on Nico Robin. I mean if her mother/father would have been part of Roger's ship u would expect some kind of reaction from him, as he was telling Roger's story.

Fox666
November 22, 2010, 10:58 AM
Didn't Nico Robin asked Rayleigh that, and Rayleigh give some odd answer like "Gol D. Roger could listen the heart of all things?"

urlaub
November 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
I think Gol D had the copy copy fruit. So then he could take over the power of the one who he wanted. So he could use it, since he copied this knowledge from some archeologist.

Copy fruit would also mean that he could take the power of everything, the knowledge of anyone.

Channy
November 22, 2010, 05:18 PM
Well Rayliegh said that Roger and the crew could never compare to the intelligence that the scholars of Ohara had, all he said was that Roger had the power to hear the voice of all things

Renaan
November 22, 2010, 07:29 PM
I think a better question is how he was able to write on an object that for all discriptions we've been given is indestuctable :)

As far as the understand the langauge, Going by what Rayleigh said I take it like this...

Roger could listen to someone speaking English... for example he could understand the words. If someone was reading out say Shakespear to him, he could understand the story, but he wouldn't get any deeper meaning than what was said.

Kaiser Will
November 22, 2010, 08:28 PM
@Renaan

He actually don't write in the Poneglyph itself.
Although he did wrote on the belfrey of the bell, which is made of gold.

Roger could understand the ancient language, or at least have someone in his crew that could do so.
And it was the only one to reach Raftel, so the way to get on Raftel may be connected to the Poneglyphs in a way, like: you only be able to reach Raftel if you can read the ancient language, or something like that.

Like Rio Poneglyph, it connects all blind spots in the blank century, it's only a guess, a wild one tbh.

Desman
November 23, 2010, 06:13 AM
Rayleigh stated that they couldn't "read" ponepoglyphs, but Roger had ability hear out things. I think he just had some kind of sense to tell the message of ponepoglyphs, without understanding the letters. It is like feeling you get when listening certain type of song in lanuage you don't know.

KABADAYI
March 21, 2011, 04:32 PM
I believe Nico Robin's mother was on Gol D. Rogers ship when he conquered the Grand Line. Thats how he was able to leave his message in Skypiea. Im probably completely wrong but it was just a random thought i had this morning lol

not his mom but it would be his dad. When robin's mother is about to leave island and left behind robin, someone on the ship said, you dont have to come, we can fullfill your husband's unfilled wish. So this is more logical i think.

Rayleigh stated that they couldn't "read" ponepoglyphs, but Roger had ability hear out things. I think he just had some kind of sense to tell the message of ponepoglyphs, without understanding the letters. It is like feeling you get when listening certain type of song in lanuage you don't know.
There was a writing on the ponepoglyphs at the skypea. If roger didnt know then who did write that...?

chess4
March 21, 2011, 05:33 PM
not his mom but it would be his dad. When robin's mother is about to leave island and left behind robin, someone on the ship said, you dont have to come, we can fullfill your husband's unfilled wish. So this is more logical i think.

There was a writing on the ponepoglyphs at the skypea. If roger didnt know then who did write that...?

what chapter did it say that in?

i think rogers could "hear the voice of all things" because he had a 3 types of haki and they were so highly developed that it formed a 4th type of haki

Cizuz
March 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
It was explained. Skypiea which held the ancient land of jaya which was litterally lifted from the earth up into the seastone clouds and held up. This place had a golden city which was inhabided by an ancient civilization that protected the poneglyph and previously would of written on it.

Roger personally did write on the bell, as was stated in the manga. However roger luckily until now did not violate anything about poneglyphs. We know they are made of an indestructable material which just lends more towards the mystery of what the ancient civilizations ability in technological and scientific advancement was. Roger wrote in the golden bell.

kidopitz27
March 22, 2011, 11:23 PM
i think what Rayleigh said about roger hearing all thing is maybe like the Poneglyph is composed of peoples spirits in the blank century thats why its indestructible

maybe the Poneglyph is from another dimension like in suikoden tierkries they cannot defeat the monsters called renegade because of they came from another dimension (multi verse theory)

or i read it in one piece theories that maybe raftel is like in the pirates of the Caribbean movie when they tilted their ship to leave davy jones locker and the people of the blank century is fron there and they left the OP world with their history and legacy by making the Poneglyph :)

Ratatosk
June 19, 2011, 01:48 PM
Poneglyphs always reminded me of the stone 'signposts' that aliens kept dropping on earth in the 70s Space Pirate Captain Harlock (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/uchuu_kaizoku_captain_harlock/v01/c001/11.html), always wondered if it was a reference.

Roger writing in a language Rayleigh stated none of them could read is still not explained, even with Haki. It made sense for there to be another way of reading the poneglyphs, if they were written by people who had reason to suspect their enemies would wipe out their language along with their history, so maybe they could be read with Haki, but writing them? who knows.
It's like Zoro hearing 'the breath of steel', which was then left for hundreds of chapters as a wtf-near-death experience before Haki was mentioned. Probably part of another mystery.

Anduren
June 19, 2011, 09:00 PM
Technically, "Glyph" is a pictograph and "Phone-" is something relating to sound (i.e. telephone, gramophone, etc.). So we can expect a poneglyph may be read by somehow "hearing" the recorded history as well as reading the glyphs. So far only Gol D. Roger has been able to hear it this way so there isn't really any way to say how he did it. But it's possible that the will of D. is involved here. I want to say Luffy showed a similar ability in the Apis arc in the anime by hearing the voice of the heart of the thousand dragon but I think it's a filler arc so I don't think its really that relevant to the story. It would definitely be interesting if Luffy can interpret the poneglyph on fishman island in a way that is more meaningful than what Robin read on it's glyphs but I somehow don't think that will happen either. If Luffy shows he can read poneglyphs then that lessens Robin's value to the crew somewhat.

Ratatosk
December 05, 2011, 09:23 AM
From recent chapters-
I never expected Roger's 'Voice of all things' to include evesdropping on the Sea Kings chatting down on the sea bed!
Apart from being funny as hell, this even raises unlikely theories about the Lord of the Coast who started the damn story by forcing Shanks to 'take his chance on the next generation'.. no idea how this relates to the Poneglyphs, unless the Sea Kings talk the ancient language? which is feasible I suppose :eyeroll

I'm loving this, suddenly there's a completely unexpected link between (for me) two of the most unique awe-inspiring parts of the One Piece world.. and another layer added to the story.

kidopitz27
December 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
i think that Gol D Roger skill of hearing all things is like a Poneglyphs are like Vinyl disks that if touched he can hear what are the contents of the Poneglyphs even though he can't read it :)

Kukriblades
December 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
Pretty much what i've been thinking.

but timeline wise, her mother would make more sense.

Olvia left Robin when she was only 3, that's 27 years ago. And she cameback to Ohara 5 years later (22 years ago)

Meanwhile, the Great Age of Pirates began 24 years ago. According to Rayleigh, Roger entered the grand line 4 years earlier (3 years of conquering the GL + 1 year of post-disbanding). That means he entered the GL 28 years ago.

So there's possibility that Roger and Olvia made an alliance during 27 to 25 years ago in grand line.

Lord Rayleigh
December 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
Roger has likely heard the Skypiean Poneglyph's voice. He tried to speak to it like he did with the Sea Kings and thanks to its voice he came and found it on the island. He also somehow gotten answers from the Skypiean poneglyph. Finally, it told him how to write in the ancient language what he wanted to say for those who could read ancient language. Thus he was able to let a message even though he wasn't able to read ancient language.

That's a bit stretch but we don't know much about Poneglyphs, they may have a voice. After all, Zoro said he heard the voices of rocks and palm leafs telling where they would fall during his fight against Daz Jones in Alabasta. Poneglyph's voices may react to living things and language. That's the only explanation I can find.

ErosVp
December 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
To hear the voice of everything is to understand everything, right? Roger most likely heard what was written...

Now every language is a code. Do you know how researchers broke the meaning of the hieroglyphics? There was a plate with the same text written in hieroglyphics and in ancient greek, they knew what was written in greek so they connected the meaning. If Roger heard/knew the text began "In the past" then he should associate the first 3 words in the ponegliph with those words... That is the most simplistic way to describe though. I always assumed that was how a child Robin could learn the ancient language as well, she probably took a look at the already tranlated texts the Ohara researchers did and was assimilating the meanings....