PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Zoans and animals in One Piece- their meaning

vagabond87
November 25, 2010, 06:04 AM
Yesterday I had idea about fruit for Coby and I posted it with some explanations in this thread:
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2183834#post2183834

Today I had some free time and searched for symbolism of animals in bible, religions and literature.
My second find after symbolism of Lion is symbolism of Leopard:

If you examine Islam you can find there all characteristics of the leopard. As we have seen from 9/11, the Muslim extremists that attacked us were present, living among us undetected for years, fitting into society and waiting patiently for the right time to attack. They camouflaged themselves by becoming scout leaders, nurse's aides, pilots, high tech employees and other everyday jobs. They lived next to us like loners.

Found it on http://www.prophecyclub.com/article_2004_jan-feb.htm

Fits prefectly for Luccis being undercover agent and storyline in Water 7 arc.
If you guys find anything like that I think its good place for posting it :amuse

Geez
November 25, 2010, 09:02 AM
This thread is interesting ! :D

I'm sure Oda did a bit of search before giving an "animal image" to a character and I've been interested in these cases since the Shichibukai appearance.
Each of those pirates represents an animal:

- Mihawk = Hawk
- Boa Hancock = Snake
- Doflamingo = well... Flamingo :amuse
- Barthomelew Kuma = Bear
- Moria = Bat (I think)
- Crocodile = ...Crocodile !
- Jinbei = Let's say Fish.

I won't get long and boring, I gathered some features which can explain the characters. Let's just get a global idea :)
Correct me if i'm wrong ! add informations if you can !

The Hawk represents superiority or victory (obtained or on the verge). When Egyptians would represent a god, height, rank, superiority or victory, they would paint a Hawk.

The Snake now - imo - refers to the Bible's vision. Everyone knows the story: Adam, Eve, the apple, etc... So I'd guess, it represents here, the temptation of the flesh, the sexual desire.

For the Flamingo, i'm sorry but i didn't get anything that seemed right :(

The Bear now, is full of symbolisms: Celtics see in it bravery, strength, they see a brutal warrior. Natives American understand instinct, wisdom and protection.

In a lot of civilisations, Bats are usually associated to ghosts, death or deceases and can be a symbolism of the night.

Crocodiles are difficult... they represent voracity in certain cultures as well as hypocrisy . In Antic Egypt, sacred crocodiles were bejeweled. (I just remembered the important numbers of rings that Crocodile wears :smile-big)

Finally the Fish was also difficult to find any relevant informations. It obviously represents water, sea and mystery around it. Seas are a deep and unknown world to humans.

Channy
November 25, 2010, 03:51 PM
Well Oda also gave animal counterparts to all the SH and there all pretty dead on

Luffy - Monkey
Zoro - Shark
Usopp - Armadillo
Nami - Cat
Sanji - Duck
Chopper - Reindeer
Robin - Crane
Franky - Bull
Brook - Horse

Dark God Zeus
November 25, 2010, 07:10 PM
Uh....Moria would be gecko. It's in his name.

deffkryz
November 25, 2010, 11:31 PM
Jinbei = Let's say Fish.
Well... Actually Jinbe is some kind of whale shark -> jinbeezame (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ジンベエザメ), yes the whales Jinbe called in Impel Down. ;)

I don't think Oda would have thought of this 9/11, either. If you asked him, he'll probably give the same kind of answer as to questions like "How many bananas could Whitebeard hide in his beard?"

I somehow believe Oda simply wanted to give Lucci some ability to reflect his character as predator who wants to kill out of some kind of bloodlust.

Geez
November 26, 2010, 01:58 AM
Uh....Moria would be gecko. It's in his name.

I didn't know this animal, but even though his name is Gecko, his flag is a bat. If i had to choose between a lizard and a bat to represent this character, i'd really go for the second one :amuse

Well... Actually Jinbe is some kind of whale shark -> jinbeezame (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ジンベエザメ), yes the whales Jinbe called in Impel Down. ;)

Thx ! I couldn't remember this one :D

Lord Rayleigh
November 26, 2010, 08:44 AM
The Hawk represents superiority or victory (obtained or on the verge). When Egyptians would represent a god, height, rank, superiority or victory, they would paint a Hawk.
The Hawk/Eagle is more importantly the symbol of imperialism. A lot of empires through history used it such as the Roman Empire with Ceasar, the French Empire with Napoléon, the IIIrd Reich with Hitler, and currently that is the United States of America's symbol.