PDA

View Full Version : Discussion How many story arc left for luffy to reach Raftel?

kanmati
December 11, 2010, 08:11 AM
How many story arc left for luffy to reach Raftel?

fishman island island arc, kaidou arc, blackbeard arc, big mom arc, doflamingo arc, 3 new shicibukai arc(might be kidd), & so on

EDIT: Changed poll results so that they're visible. ~Aikidoka

H.M.K
December 11, 2010, 10:18 AM
I dont think SHs gonna fight every shicibukai and every Yonkou in one piece.

they will fight BLackbeard for sure but I dont know about the others

and for the shicibukai he will most likely will fight Doflamingo only,

but I think before they reach Raftel we will see a major war that gonna shake the whole world they will face the marine, shicibukai and every Yonkou except Shanks

and with the help of their allies they will reach Raftel and Luffy will become PK.

so I think we will see major 7 arcs before Raftel.

1- FI arc
2- random strong Pirate from the new world arc.
3- one with marine Smoker most likely arc.
4- with the other SN Eustass Kid probably.
5- shicibukai doflamingo .
6- Yonkou Blackbeard
7- revolutionaries arc.

and then the big war lead by Luffy to reach Raftal

MaiSiaoSiao
December 11, 2010, 08:19 PM
I dont think SHs gonna fight every shicibukai and every Yonkou in one piece.

they will fight BLackbeard for sure but I dont know about the others

and for the shicibukai he will most likely will fight Doflamingo only,

but I think before they reach Raftel we will see a major war that gonna shake the whole world they will face the marine, shicibukai and every Yonkou except Shanks

and with the help of their allies they will reach Raftel and Luffy will become PK.

so I think we will see major 6 arcs before Raftel.

1- FI arc
2- random strong Pirate from the new world arc.
3- one with marine Smoker most likely arc.
4- with the other SN Eustass Kid probably.
5- shicibukai doflamingo .
6- Yonkou Blackbeard

and then the big war lead by Luffy to reach Raftal

You forgot the revolutionaries,the mystery of the will of D and the Void century(Maybe it will unravel when they reach Raftal.
And kanmati why did u chose to hide the poll results?!

Jorge D. Dragon
December 12, 2010, 05:12 AM
In fact it's really difficult to say, cause we have too much unrevealed information.
I'd say at least we'll see 7 big arcs and around the same number of mini-arcs to tie up the plot.

kanmati
December 12, 2010, 09:49 AM
cannot edit the poll ..

at the moment
3:0
4:1
5:3
6:3
7:7
8:3
9:4
10:4
11:0
12:1
13:1
more than 13:5

total votes:32

update:poll already fixed by moderator

dont forget there might be 3 replacement schicibukai already on the card.expect kidd to be one of them.
more shici more arc. :)

H.M.K
December 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
You forgot the revolutionaries,the mystery of the will of D and the Void century(Maybe it will unravel when they reach Raftal.

yaah I forgot the revolutionaries, I will add one more arc to my first post.
and about the mystery of the will of D and the Void century I dont think we need a special arc for them only

I think the Void century will be raveled in revolutionaries arc.

and the will of D we will know it by the final arc.

kkck
December 12, 2010, 09:06 PM
I would think there will be 5 more arcs after fishman island along with at least 3 mini arcs. That is pretty much what we got in the first half of the series.

scav
December 12, 2010, 09:46 PM
lol ask a mod to edit your poll. Anyway i've voted 8.

bittman
December 13, 2010, 01:55 AM
I said 9. Because I think 9 is a nice randomly chosen number.

Oh, and also if you ever think "Well if you count Big Mom, Doflamingo, Vegapunk, Aokoji, etc theres a lot to go" <- never count that. As I've surely said before, it's not impossible to believe that the Raftel arc isn't Luffy vs Blackbeard whilst Akainu holds Dragon hostage whilst Doflamingo sits on top of Poseiden and Smoker waits at Raftel to arrest whoever arrives.

Really, arcs aren't always that simple, and Oda has been getting more complex as they go.

Also depends on what you count as an arc. For example, I count the WB War Arc as a set of mini arcs which include: Shabondy, Kuja, Impel Down and Marineford. I count Crocodile arc as Laboon + Whisky Peak + Little Garden + drum + alabasta.

susanoo13
December 13, 2010, 04:19 AM
I voted 4 arcs left

1)Fishmen island would of course be the first but might tie up to Donflamingo since he's a slave trader so he might try to stir the ol' business again.

2)The new Shichibukai's rise and fall and Blackbeard replacing WB's place as the yonkou's...along the way he kills Kaidou or the other one which is not Shanks and the Marines take him much more seriously, also a little about the will of D.

3)Revolutionary arc in which the reason of the revolutionary army exists in the first place and history of the will of D, Smoker as a spy that then learns about the crimes of his government, Mihawk and several VA's to face the SH's and at the end Smoker to be a new member :).

4)Raftel is reached, all out war, Neo poneglyph, Blackbeard attacks, Red haired pirates cover SH's part in the war so they will deal with BB's crew, Garp accepting Luffy as a great man, revelation of the crimes of the government to the world, marines goes in flames and we get one piece with Luffy with a smile as big as the Millenium Earl of DGM and some other stuff :D

kulugo
December 13, 2010, 07:01 AM
i've voted 13. cause today's dec 13......

undertoe
December 13, 2010, 10:30 AM
I said 9. Because I think 9 is a nice randomly chosen number.

Oh, and also if you ever think "Well if you count Big Mom, Doflamingo, Vegapunk, Aokoji, etc theres a lot to go" <- never count that. As I've surely said before, it's not impossible to believe that the Raftel arc isn't Luffy vs Blackbeard whilst Akainu holds Dragon hostage whilst Doflamingo sits on top of Poseiden and Smoker waits at Raftel to arrest whoever arrives.

Really, arcs aren't always that simple, and Oda has been getting more complex as they go.

Also depends on what you count as an arc. For example, I count the WB War Arc as a set of mini arcs which include: Shabondy, Kuja, Impel Down and Marineford. I count Crocodile arc as Laboon + Whisky Peak + Little Garden + drum + alabasta.

Those are considered sagas, not arcs.

Freid
December 13, 2010, 01:10 PM
Tbh, if we are talking about arcs then there is probably going to be about 20 or more. On average, there were about 4 arcs in each Saga and we had about 5 in the first half of the Grand line, so I'm guessing that is what you are talking about. Seeing as we had around 5 Saga's in the first half, I ain't expecting an amount overwhelmingly higher than that like 13.

scav
December 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
hum 13 can be a good number. Oda said 5years left for one piece. And for me a good arc = 6 months at least (~24 chapters)

Freid
December 13, 2010, 01:52 PM
Well you obviously didn't get the distinction I made between an arc and a Saga. If it is an arc, then 13 would in fact be kinda short imo considering we had over 20 in the first half of the Grand line. What you guys are referring to would be a Saga which we did not have many of pre-time skip. 5 to be exact.

Anyway, I guess we can call it whatever we want. Saga or Arc. It doesn't really matter I guess as long as the point is understood.

3000PoemsWritten
December 13, 2010, 04:12 PM
HI... I'm new here... my brother just showed me this site but I'm no noob to one piece...

I say there are gonna be seven more... not just because that's a lucky prime number...

But also because...

I'm not too sure the differences of Sagas and Arcs... But I do know the Whitebeard War Saga had these Arcs within it... Thriller Bark, Sabody Arpegaiolo(I WTF messed that spelling up), Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Postwar

That is just 6 Arcs in 1 Saga...

But I don't think there will be any sagas as long as that again, So I say 2 Half Pint Sagas, "New World Saga" "Another War Saga"

At most I predict 9 Arcs... At most 3 sagas... But I still say 7 is at the very least expected...

undertoe
December 13, 2010, 08:29 PM
HI... I'm new here... my brother just showed me this site but I'm no noob to one piece...

I say there are gonna be seven more... not just because that's a lucky prime number...

But also because...

I'm not too sure the differences of Sagas and Arcs... But I do know the Whitebeard War Saga had these Arcs within it... Thriller Bark, Sabody Arpegaiolo(I WTF messed that spelling up), Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Postwar

That is just 6 Arcs in 1 Saga...

But I don't think there will be any sagas as long as that again, So I say 2 Half Pint Sagas, "New World Saga" "Another War Saga"

At most I predict 9 Arcs... At most 3 sagas... But I still say 7 is at the very least expected...

Your logic is pretty well flawed. The Skypiea Saga only had two arcs in it (Skypiea and Jaya). It's really consistent like you make it out to be.

Aikidoka
December 14, 2010, 12:40 AM
Fixed the poll results, should be visible to everyone now.

Personally, I voted more than 13 -- Oda did say Fishman Island was the halfway point of the story, so counting out the fact that his stories tend to inflate a bit (he said we'd get to Fishman Island 'soon' back in 2002, eight years ago...), I'd say there should be around the same number of arcs. Also factoring in the different lengths for each arc (Laboon, for example, was only one volume), we should have more than a dozen.

MaiSiaoSiao
December 14, 2010, 09:20 AM
Fixed the poll results, should be visible to everyone now.

Personally, I voted more than 13 -- Oda did say Fishman Island was the halfway point of the story, so counting out the fact that his stories tend to inflate a bit (he said we'd get to Fishman Island 'soon' back in 2002, eight years ago...), I'd say there should be around the same number of arcs. Also factoring in the different lengths for each arc (Laboon, for example, was only one volume), we should have more than a dozen.

holy crap 8years omg.Wouldnt it take another 10yrs or so to complete OP?

Lord Rayleigh
December 16, 2010, 06:31 PM
Oda did say Fishman Island was the halfway point of the story, so counting out the fact that his stories tend to inflate a bit (he said we'd get to Fishman Island 'soon' back in 2002, eight years ago...), I'd say there should be around the same number of arcs.
Raftel has yet to be proven to be the last arc.

frontaLobotomy
December 17, 2010, 11:34 AM
There's room for at least 10 major story arcs, and that's going by just the characters that were introduced to the story before the timeskip. I think that the New World will have a lot more significant battles in it than the first half, and that a lot of them won't be too many chapters long. For example, a 5-10 chapter mini arc might just be entirely a battle between Luffy's crew and one of his rivals, like Hawkins. A battle where there isn't really any need for a backstory, just that they're both pirates.

natli
December 18, 2010, 05:21 PM
I counted 6 arcs in East Blue, and 14 in Grand Line, Fishman Island included.

I think that in the New World there will be some 20 arcs, because Oda expands his world as he goes along. He himself admitted that he planned OP to last 5 years, and after 13 years we still haven't crossed Red Line (yay!).

matzik1212
December 19, 2010, 09:07 AM
i voted for 6 big arcs in the NW ....there can't be 13 arcs even if we all want that 'cause we all know that generally an arc lasts a considerably amount of time and even if oda said the NW is at half of the story i don't think that one piece is gonna last for another 10 years...of course i would love if this opinion of mine proves to be wrong... anyway for now i just can't wait for the SH"s to reach the NW 'cause this really extended way to much >_<

Zehahaha
December 19, 2010, 01:03 PM
Raftel has yet to be proven to be the last arc.

Exactly, after WB final words, we can assume that Raftel would be rather the trigger to a much much bigger arc.

I'd say more than 13 (I wouldn't mind 100 arc for all I care, OP is amazing anyway)

cheddarpretzels
August 20, 2011, 06:15 PM
Arc 1. Fishman Island part
Arc 2. Big Mom part - I think this will be a small part
Arc 3. Elbaf part - one of Usopp's dream, not a story-changing arc <--- will be a lead up
Arc 4/5/6/7. New Era, Flamingo part - I want this arc so badly
Arc 4/5/6/7. Red Haired Pirates part - will they fight?
Arc 4/5/6/7. Revolutionaries part- Baltigo, Dragon
Arc 4/5/6/7. Vegapunk part - answers to all the mysteries, it's said on the wikia that Karakuri Island is in the first half but you never know
Arc 8. Journey to Raftel & Arrival at Raftel part - Void Century, All Blue, One Piece ~ Pirate King
Arc 9. Return & Trouble with Marines part - Franky's dream, Laboon, World Map, assume that StrawHats will also experience Marine troubles like the Roger Pirates
Arc 10. Legacy part

I don't think we will see Smoker having his own arc vs the StrawHats
Zoro & Chopper's dream will be fulfilled at some point. (greatest swordsman and cure any disease)

TheBlackLotus
December 10, 2011, 07:05 PM
Guys, 23 arcs for the first half of the series alone, and 17 in the grand line. A lot of people consider the time skip the half way point of the series, so it's possible we could have even 20 arcs until Raftel.

A story arc can be very short (Laboon, Davy Back Fight, Jaya, Whiskey Peak, Loguetown, etc) but some major arcs are significantly longer (Enies Lobby, Whitebeard War).

The things mentioned might be parts of major arcs, but some of the smaller arcs tend to have significant plot elements happen in them too where some of the mysteries might be revealed.

Also i'm not convinced that the series will end at Raftel. The island implies that not many people in the world have made it there, especially living, so i don't see how the island will play as a role to the end of the series, just that the SH will conquer the grand line similar to Roger pirates. The true history part of the story will probably influence the ending of the series.

When Robin asks Rayleigh, he does mention that even if he told them the history as they were at the time they "couldn't do a thing." - so likely the ending they will be powerful enough to do whatever it is one would do knowing the history, which could be many more arcs itself.

hoeru
December 11, 2011, 09:24 AM
I think it's going to be two sagas:

The first will be about the first adventures on the new world sea and the new world order:

What will happen on the Reverie?
Who are the new shichibukai?
Who are the remaining yonkou?

I think it's going to result in some huge impact on the story. For example such as an admiral is ultimately defeated, a complete buster call fleet is destroyed taking many vice admirals down or something else. At least something comparable to Dragon appearing at the end of East Blue saga, or like Crocodile was defeated at the end of the Arabasta saga, like Ace died at the end of the third saga. Additionally, the Straw Hats will have first hints on how to get to Raftel.

The last saga will be about the race for becoming the pirate king with probably kid, law and blackbeard in the final arc, and probably a fifth guy yet to be revealed.

UnknownMugiwara
December 11, 2011, 09:35 AM
Guys, 23 arcs for the first half of the series alone, and 17 in the grand line. A lot of people consider the time skip the half way point of the series, so it's possible we could have even 20 arcs until Raftel.

A story arc can be very short (Laboon, Davy Back Fight, Jaya, Whiskey Peak, Loguetown, etc) but some major arcs are significantly longer (Enies Lobby, Whitebeard War).

Whitebeard War is a saga not an arc.
Sagas are combinded arcs, like the CP9 saga is Davy back fight, Water 7, Enies Lobby and Post-Enies Lobby.
The stories start in the first arc and end in the last (with the exception of the East Blue Saga).

TheBlackLotus
December 11, 2011, 05:09 PM
Whitebeard War is a saga not an arc.
Sagas are combinded arcs, like the CP9 saga is Davy back fight, Water 7, Enies Lobby and Post-Enies Lobby.
The stories start in the first arc and end in the last (with the exception of the East Blue Saga).

Correct, my mistake, i was referring to the marineford arc part of the saga, for some reason thought it was called whitebeard war also, thanks for the correction. :D

BurnSchulz
December 11, 2011, 10:12 PM
People here are counting the predicted Arcs as if Luffy is THE ONE and Only person here who has to fight everyone and has to deal with everything.

But what if (for example) not Luffy but another Pirate handles Smoker?

No Smoker Arc for Luffy. So of Course there wont be an extra Arc for each and every special Person...

modoki
December 13, 2011, 10:43 AM
arc number is farfetched more like how many years to realize one piece. i would say another 10 years would do it since story is half done

Kukriblades
December 14, 2011, 02:12 AM
6 to 8 arc I guess... 13 are too freaking many, though I don't mind it as long as the story stays strong.

Zehahaha
December 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
6 to 8 arc I guess... 13 are too freaking many, though I don't mind it as long as the story stays strong.

It took Oda 10 years to reach this far, now way he's gonna warp it up like this.
3 more sagas IMO. Probably 13/14 arc or even more. Especially since WB implied there will be a shitstorm coming.

tret16
December 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
well think of it this way. If we assume he's goin to meet all the Yonkou then theres goin to be one arc for each one. that makes 4 right there, Shanks, Big mom, Kaidou and blackbeard. Then there's finding One Piece, which to my belief will have the lost history in it as well. That there is another arc. Once they figure it out then they decide to fight the government one last time to overthrow them because of what they read on the poneglyph. that there is another arc. So if i had to make a guess... after fishman island arc, there is goin to be around 5-7 more arcs.

Black Lagoon
December 27, 2011, 04:25 AM
I didn't vote but I think it would be less than the fisrt half, we had 10 or more introductions to the current Crew (two for robin ... I know it was followed by CP9 and Crocodile but still) and the pre-Grand Line arcs.

Zehahaha
December 29, 2011, 04:36 PM
Actually after the last chapter, I think it will be shorter too... I wasn't expecting Luffy to challenge Big Mam this fast, so I don't think it will last for 10 years.

Aozora0316
January 03, 2012, 10:24 PM
Islands to visit:
Minkmen
Wano
Elbaf
Raftel

Crews to battle:
Blackbeard (coinciding with Raftel)
Big Mom
Kaidou
Doflamingo
Drake (maybe combined with Kaidou)
Bonney (maybe not)
Urouge
Apoo
Hawkins
Capone
Kid
Law
Marines Round I (Vice Admirals and under)
Marines Round II (Admirals, Fleet Admiral, Commander in Chief, Gorosei)

beck26
February 22, 2012, 01:00 AM
ok. im new in this forum but im following one piece since it started...and because guys argue which is an arc and which is not, maybe i'll just give which would be major plotlines (would would be longer like sagas or arcs) and minor plotlines (which are mini-arcs or fillers)

my opinion:

major plotlines

after fishman island (coz i dont know which enemy will show up in punk hazard) not in order

1. doflamingo *definitely an enemy*
2. big mam *friend or foe*
3. kaido *more likely an enemy*
4. blackbeard *prolly last fight for strawhats vs. co-pirates*
5. WG *this might include a full scale war and one on one fights vs admirals, akainu, vice admirals, the attack at marijoies or tenryubiito and gorousei *which i believe is the final fight vs. WG*
6. vegapunk
7. enel part 2
8. return to fishman/destruction
9. void century / raftel final arc vs whoever is the final boss
10. revolutionaries and dragon

minor plotlines

1. against smoker and tashigi *smoker wont have an arc*
2. law *little longer than most mini-storylines*
3. kidd *little longer than most mini-storylines*
4. hawkins *little longer than most mini-storylines*
5. drake
6. bonney and other supernovas prolly will come in super mini-arcs
7. crocodile part 2
8. buggy
9. red hair pirates *friendly duel*
10. sengoku and garp
11. elbaf
12. wano kuni
13. return to amazon lily
14. visit to kamabakka kingdom
15. marco the phoenix and remnants of whitebeard pirates

*** and maybe 5-6 more fillers or mini-arcs for new nakama plotlines or new characters or just whatever.

one thing im sure is oda will do one piece a long time....longer than 5 years, he enjoys one piece so much he cant keep his own time frame. LOL

Quantized
February 23, 2012, 07:29 PM

Exactly my thought, it seems (and I hope too), that One Piece won't be over when they reach Raftel.
Being the Pirate King does not make you king of the world, only King of large parts of the oceans and pirates, so, will the story end when Luffy become one of the top 3-4 players in the world as Pirate King?

I hope not, I would love to see Luffy as the pirate king for a couple of arcs or more! As long the story won't get milked, but I got huge faith in Oda! Go Oda!

tret16
February 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
i can only see one more arc happening after he becomes pirate king to be completely honest. after he becomes king, he completely over throws the WG and then end.

Quantized
February 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
i can only see one more arc happening after he becomes pirate king to be completely honest. after he becomes king, he completely over throws the WG and then end.

Could see this being the case if a big and grand final arc, worthy of One Piece!

I wonder what will happen when Luffy and his crew learns about the void age, the lost history. It's obviously something so big, that it'll shake the whole manga, even if he managed to become Pirate king first, imho.

Will we get a flashback of how the void age was like? Some of the ancient D's ?

Honestly, if Oda provided us with a void age flashback having focus on some of the D's, I would read it with wide open eyes mumbling something like the lines of "ohhhhhhh, coool", knowing Oda :XD

I really would love to know about the void history, it seems so epic, it's one of the biggest mysteries in One Piece. I would not dislike a whole arc dedicated on it.

tret16
February 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
Could see this being the case if a big and grand final arc, worthy of One Piece!

I wonder what will happen when Luffy and his crew learns about the void age, the lost history. It's obviously something so big, that it'll shake the whole manga, even if he managed to become Pirate king first, imho.

Will we get a flashback of how the void age was like? Some of the ancient D's ?

Honestly, if Oda provided us with a void age flashback having focus on some of the D's, I would read it with wide open eyes mumbling something like the lines of "ohhhhhhh, coool", knowing Oda :XD

I really would love to know about the void history, it seems so epic, it's one of the biggest mysteries in One Piece. I would not dislike a whole arc dedicated on it.

i agree, an arc completely dedicated to the void century would be great. which i believe will happen when robin reads the rio ponglyph. it's only normal to do that for us to get a clear picture of what she say's afterall.

Quantized
February 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
i agree, an arc completely dedicated to the void century would be great. which i believe will happen when robin reads the rio ponglyph. it's only normal to do that for us to get a clear picture of what she say's afterall.

yeah... I would completely droll the floor in excitement if it happened!
I'm glad you think it's normal and obvious possibility, gives more hope that Oda actually does it.

But would it be within the story? or after the manga is over?
For example the manga Shaman King has some revelation and story development after the whole manga was finished, to make the whole work complete.
Would the same happen to One Piece? or could it possibly be put in between the story?
Off to ponder about this for a while :3

tret16
February 24, 2012, 04:32 PM
actually i can't see the story working without a detailed flashback without it. I mean it's Robin main journey purpose so the manga will be focusing on it quite intensively. It's actually obvious that each character is goin to get a few chapters for the dreams to be fullfilled. Robin will probably be the last one to get looked at since it seems to be a big part of the actual manga itself... Once they reach raftel, robin will find the rio-poneglyph and as she reads it, were most likely goin to get a flashback. But that can just be my own hopes that are taking over my logic... lol

susanoo13
February 24, 2012, 06:31 PM
So if that's the case I guess your logic rubbed off on me since I also think that will happen, as of how many arcs, well since the Grand line entrance we have been in 7 islands so assuming the second half of the grand line has the same number of islands we should get about 6-8 islands with 1 just passed, so about major arcs I do think that Donflamingo will be dealt with in this arc and that will raise all bounties and giving updated pictures to everyone.

Most Supernova's have been mentioned here as a prediction to have mini-arcs yet I think some of them such as Capone or Jewlerry bonney might fall victim to Blackbeard and some like Basil (less focused yet very powerful and quite scary) become a shichibukai.

Drake, Kaido and Vegapunk are some I have a feeling that will be dealt with in the same arc as I have this crazy idea that Vegapunk got an order to find a way of taking powers out of devilfruit users in order to fight off Blackbeard, Drake will find out about them wanting to test it out on Kaido as the "weak" link of the Yonkou.

An arc of Elbaf which is somewhere as long as this arc or a little less, an arc with Shanks and VA's, an arc of WG which will take 3-4 years and include both the Revolutionary army, the will of D. , the void century and battle with the Admirals and then the final arc.

Kaiten
February 25, 2012, 12:34 PM

I expect something akin to the Ohara flashbacks or Luffy/Ace flashbacks, at the very least.

tret16
February 25, 2012, 12:49 PM
ya that's what i was thinking at least. It sticks to Oda's style if we think about it. Other manga's do short flashbacks to keep the main story moving continiously, but Oda will stop the story from moving just to get the backstory shown in full detail just like the Ace/Luffy/ Sabo. i like when he does this personally.

mattiaildivino
February 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
I consider "saga" not just " arc",I hope it won't last too mcuh,yet,I think that in 4 years oda won't deal with more than 5 arcs,but here we are to discuss about what's the boundary between arc and saga.

Franckie
February 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
I consider "saga" not just " arc",I hope it won't last too mcuh,yet,I think that in 4 years oda won't deal with more than 5 arcs,but here we are to discuss about what's the boundary between arc and saga.

The "sagas" will probably be long. If you look at Part I of One Piece, initially a saga was approximately 100 chapters. As One Piece went on the length began to increase where the last major saga, the Whitebeard War Saga had about 160 chapters.

Assuming the trend stays constant (1 saga ~= 150 chapters), we have to look at other factors to determine how long possibly the story will last. An example we can use is gauging Luffy's strength as compared to other top-tiers. Right now Luffy is in the same league as characters such as Jinbei and Ace. That means a major difference in power still exists between him and characters such as Akainu and Blackbeard. Luffy will need a 2-3X strength increase in order to compete with them.

Furthermore, Oda is juggling multiple plotlines here. Each ensuing arc will focus on different things. For example, the past arc ended up with Luffy declaring war on a Yonkou, and as the manga drags on he'll have Kaidou and Blackbeard to contend with. Over time Oda will have the judge of maintaining a coherent narrative when dealing with other plotlines such as the revolutionaries and the World Government.

Oda has enough material remaining where even making educated guesses is quite hard. He needed 600 chapters (five sagas) just for Part I, and that was just the warm-up for the overall story. At the bare minimum we're looking at five more sagas (150 x 5 = 750 chapters). Six sagas yield 900 chapters, seven sagas yield 1050 chapters, and eight sagas yield 1200 chapters. At this point we start to approach Twilight Zone plausability.

So I'd wager 5-7 sagas is how much One Piece has left to its grand finale.

susanoo13
February 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
It depends what you call a saga, up to the entering of the grand line we had +-110 chapters, the Arabasta part ended at 216 IIRC which also had Drum kingdom, Skypiea ended at 300 and then we had another 18 chapters of Davy back, Rob lucci was defeated at +-425 and the arc/saga ended at 441, Thriller bark took 49 chapters, which puts us at 490 and assuming we take everything from here up to the timeskip as an arc we get to +-595 since the timeskip is before 600.
I may have made a misake of max 10 chapters in all the numbers that I wrote but I can't think of a single arc that took 150 chapters or even 130 yet I can understand the feeling since Oda-Sensei does put a lot into one chapter and every page feels meaningful, I do guess that we should expect the manga to end at about 1000 chapters.

natli
March 02, 2012, 10:37 AM
I think it's better to count story arcs, because anyone can decide how many sagas were in OP. Story arcs are more objective.

Schabrak
March 05, 2012, 09:23 PM
Your statement doesn't make sense, sagas just have a bigger thematic, so where's the problem with naming a number for those too? One can always exclude short in between arcs, like the DBF one from the list. As we can currently see, Oda might make a bigger or smaller detour with the new arc. I won't predict a number, because I want to be suprised by him.

tret16
March 05, 2012, 09:30 PM
Well too me a Saga could actually be concidered the entire first have of the manga. All the way to the time skip... I think that's what he meant by it... Arcs are like each individual events in the life that made them stronger and they learned there importent roles of life... The sage could be a cluster of arcs that identify a chapter in there life as a whole... For example, Rayleigh's one sage would be his life as a pirate and his second saga would be his life as a retired pirate and ship coater... Get what i mean?

Schabrak
March 06, 2012, 07:26 AM
I think there is a general acceptance within the community to what a Saga is and what not. You are right that Oda accomplished something with every single arc, I'm not trying to exchange this topics poll or something, just that most eople accept them as East Blue Saga, Baroque Works Saga, Skypia Saga or W7/EL Saga and Marineford/Whitebeard War Saga.

Filster
March 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
Listen,One piece will probably go to 800-900 episodes,thats it.There will be 7-9 more arcs.And One Piece doesent have to be at Raftel....Who knows One Piece might not even exist.What if One Piece is actually a lie and it means that the one who becomes PK is the one who will sail through all the seas and learn everything.the one too have the most freedom .Theres alot of mysteries and who knows......

Shinobuden
March 20, 2012, 01:45 AM
Listen,One piece will probably go to 800-900 episodes,thats it.There will be 7-9 more arcs.And One Piece doesent have to be at Raftel....Who knows One Piece might not even exist.What if One Piece is actually a lie and it means that the one who becomes PK is the one who will sail through all the seas and learn everything.the one too have the most freedom .Theres alot of mysteries and who knows......

Except Whitebeard himself said One Piece does in fact exist right before his death. I doubt he said that just to be flashy.

On another note...I for one hope One Piece will go on for quite a long time.

Everyone's made some good assumptions on when One Piece will end, but I think One Piece's potential is limitless. There's just too many things Oda can do with it. I personally doubt the story will just abruptly end after Luffy reaches Raftel unless everyone achieves their dreams along the way which I can't really see happening. Nami's dream is to make a map of the world and this includes North Blue, West Blue and South Blue (assuming she already has a map of East Blue). And then there's Franky whose dream is to see Sunny sail every sea in the world as it's shipwright. No matter how much I try I can't see the story simply ending with a narrative going "Oh by the way, their dreams were fulfilled at some point afterwards too".

Just my two cents.