PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Is Zoro as strong as Rayleigh?

rayan.68000
December 14, 2010, 04:08 AM
Hi everyone

If we consider Luffy as the pirate king and Zoro as his second,
and if we compare Luffy and Zoro to Gol D. roger and Rayleigh
Zoro must be as strong as Rayleigh, so he must have Haki and haoushoukou haki like Luffy and Rayleigh...

what do you think?

darkprince0521
December 14, 2010, 04:21 AM
Luffy isn't as strong as the admirals as was seen in the last arc. so wasn't Zoro. what they can do now is still unknown. and we have never seen Rayleigh going all out, and he has become old now. he must have left his prime long ago. comparing them isn't just possible as of now.

rayan.68000
December 14, 2010, 04:26 AM
i agree, it is hard to compare them now.
But let's imagine them in a few time or at the end of the story, Zoro should be as strong as Rayleigh, no?

scav
December 14, 2010, 05:01 AM
Luffy isn't as strong as the admirals as was seen in the last arc. so wasn't Zoro. what they can do now is still unknown. and we have never seen Rayleigh going all out, and he has become old now. he must have left his prime long ago. comparing them isn't just possible as of now.

i guess he's talking when luffy will be the pirate king at the end of one piece. And i think luffy and zorro will surpass roger and rayleigh.

darkprince0521
December 14, 2010, 10:52 AM
i guess he's talking when luffy will be the pirate king at the end of one piece. And i think luffy and zorro will surpass roger and rayleigh.

if it is about that time, then i should agree. i think they already are close to fight the the Admirals on equal ground. it is because of Haki. Luffy already has Conquerers Haki, and i think Zoro can use Haki too. they already were very strong, now with Haki, their strength has grown exponentially.

chess4
December 14, 2010, 11:16 AM
to answer the question, zoro is no where in the league of rayleigh right now. if zor ois as strong as rayleigh now, then we can just end the series. zoro still has a long way to go. im sure mihawk gave told him about the basics of haki. whether he knows it or not has yet to be seen.

kkck
December 14, 2010, 01:41 PM
I don't think zoro is quite there yet. Rayleigh is roughly as strong as an admiral, that is quite strong for the most part and probably was a lot stronger in his prime. Zoro still has ways to go IMO. I am sure he will match and even surpass those people in due time.

Jorge D. Dragon
December 14, 2010, 02:14 PM
At the end of One Piece Zoro will be at Rayleigh's level when he was in his prime, but of course he isn't near as for now. I'd say that even Luffy has way to go if we compare him with Rayleigh.

Shisu
December 14, 2010, 02:18 PM
I don't believe Zoro could swim through the ocean like Rayleigh did.

He's not even near his level. Not yet.

Poneglyph420
December 14, 2010, 06:25 PM
In about 300 or 400 Chapters I'd suspect that Zoro will be at least as "strong" as Rayleigh (at his prime). At this point I'd bet Zoro is as powerful as Ray San when he entered the NW for the first time..

Knowing the parallel between Roger and Luffy.. sure one day I bet Zoro will surpass Rayleigh's power.

pyogenes
December 14, 2010, 07:39 PM

I agree, but not due to a lack of strength on Zoro's part.

He'd fail to reach the Amazon island due to his wonderful sense of direction. Probably wouldn't even make it into the water if his starting point was I tiny island. hehe

frontaLobotomy
December 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
At the current time, Zoro is probably a bit stronger than Rayleigh was at his age. My reasoning for this is we don't exactly know how strong Rayleigh was when he was younger, and also that Zoro just finished training for 2 years with Mihawk and managed to not get himself killed.

elitefox
December 15, 2010, 01:00 AM
Rayleigh is old and 100 times as powerful as the whole SH combine 2 years ago so maybe now, they might be at least on 60% of that power ;)

jakeswu
December 26, 2010, 05:43 AM
It's impossible to compare, imo. Firstly, they are of different generations, surely Rayleigh would have been more powerful when he was younger, but to what extent, we don't know.

Secondly, Zoro is a pure swordsman, whereas Rayleigh most likely is a mix of a sword-user, Haki user, and wit-user. Each has his own merits, thus, it's basically impossible to judge which is better; it all depends on the situation they are in.

Bugzee
December 26, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone

If we consider Luffy as the pirate king and Zoro as his second,
and if we compare Luffy and Zoro to Gol D. roger and Rayleigh
Zoro must be as strong as Rayleigh, so he must have Haki and haoushoukou haki like Luffy and Rayleigh...

what do you think?

Come on now! Think about it! =P

The SH's have a long way to go. Sure, we've "witnessed" a timeskip of two years in OP and they've all grown/developed in many ways but to suggest that Zoro is on the same level as Rayleigh at present is absurd. Two years-worth of training is nothing compared to decades of experience in the NW onboard and by the side of the Pirate King.

Off course, I would like to see Luffy and Zoro eventually grow to such a level/position to compare them equally to Roger and Rayleigh but dude that's a long way....away. xD

I think the development of all the SH's (not just the Captain and first mate) over the course of the NW will be the most interesting and exciting parts/"scenes" not just the "ending" where we see Luffy and Zoro fulfill their dreams and replicate to a certain extent what Roger and Rayleigh were and accomplished.

i agree, it is hard to compare them now.
But let's imagine them in a few time or at the end of the story, Zoro should be as strong as Rayleigh, no?

Zoro will obviously have grown over the coming "years" in the NW. It's too early to consider or compare him to Rayleigh at the moment tbh.

There's only one Dark Lord Rayleigh. ;)

I would like Zoro to keep his own cool and become known for what he has achieved, his strengths and become respected all around the world in his own right. I wouldn't want the people of OP and the marines to go on about the resemblance he has to Rayleigh now. :p

He's not even near his level. Not yet.

Off course not! :D

Haynes
December 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
There's only one Dark Lord Rayleigh. ;)

And he does not share power!

Of course as the Straw Hats are now they do not compare with their dream figures. Luff - Roger, Zoro - Mihawk, Usopp - Yasopp & Giants, etc etc. In the future toward the end of the series they will all be as strong as their "Goal".

So no Zoro is not as strong as Rayleigh.
Yes he will be one day.

jorped
January 19, 2011, 09:00 PM
if talking about current days , damm no. but maybe in about 400 chapters i think he will :) i think that all the crew are going to be so freakin strong :) they are going to be invicible :) and i still am hoping to see SH finding a DF, and than one of them would eat , that would be awesome :)

Katz
January 20, 2011, 02:40 AM
I'd personally like to see how good of a swordsmen Rayleigh really is.....I wouldn't put him on Milhawk's level (maybe in his prime he was,/points at the speculation that Rayleigh was the former greatest sword wielder in the world) I see Zoro eventually beating Rayleigh but not for a long while....

chess4
January 20, 2011, 05:56 PM
i agree, i think rayleigh would still take him easily. im waiting to see whats the new sword like the zoro has

Calisto
February 27, 2011, 02:18 PM
Current Zoro would get destroyed by Rayleigh, however I believe that Zoro at the end of the manga will surpass Rayleigh.

kkck
February 27, 2011, 05:36 PM
I think zoro could put up a fight nowadays but I doubt he would win. Zoro's strength should be relevant even among actual strong people but he still has ways to go before he can take someone capable of fighting an admiral.

Freid
February 27, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah you know, I'm one of the people that find the possibility of Zoro and Luffy being of a strength capable of holding their ground against an admiral, a difficult to concept to grasp, mostly 'cause one minute they are getting stomped on like ants by pacifistas, then the next minute they could possibly going toe to toe with the three greatest military powers. However, part of me actually thinks it is possible that and we will be surprised when it actually turns out that they may be able to do just that, especially because I think the world government are the third party behind the scenes in this arc.

Calisto
February 27, 2011, 06:51 PM
It's far to early for Zoro and Luffy to be able to give an Admiral a fight, unless you want the only threats from them in the New World to be the Yonkou and the Admirals, which won't be the case.

kkck
February 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
IMO it would not even make sense for them to be able to at least put up a fight against people that strong. Not necessarily win but at least be enough of a threat to not be considered fodder as in the good old days. Even ace could manage that much and he did not even spend 2 years solely training.

skullshuriken734
February 28, 2011, 02:53 AM
i think we will later on in the story line see more similarities between zoro and rayleigh.
one reason off the top of my head is that rayleigh is know as "Dark King" and zoro has a sort of shadowy aura about him and demonic sword styles.
as for is zoro as strong as rayleigh....i dont think the whole crew together even now can beat him IMO

Ratatosk
March 01, 2011, 09:14 PM
They're not old enough. Is anyone here over 19 and remembers being 19? You think you can do anything at the time, but then a year later you look back at your previous self like a complete idiot that you wouldn't even listen to if it bought you a drink. Then another year and it's the same..

Oda has openly admitted to liking drawing awesome old men, and One piece is a world where you get stronger with life experience, but don't really get that much weaker with age unless you're ill/injured. Blackbeard was a middle-aged drunken pie-eater but suddenly came out of the woodwork and started following his dreams of world whatever, while all the young idiots who pushed forward too fast got crushed or turned into psychos or had lucky escapes.

What the Straw-hats did in the last few years was gain the strength/knowledge to survive in the New World, nothing more. They will still have their lives on the line every minute like before, plus there are like 60+ manga volumes of Shichibukai-level individuals who read the newspapers so will know they're coming and have reasons to come hunt them down. I seriously doubt this manga will turn into a safe predictable story halfway through, especially as it only just introduced slave-trading and killing people off. I even think the similarities to the Roger pirates will get less, because the world they're trying to sail in has changed so much into chaos since then, so how can you compare?
I'm loving the fact Luffy's a mystery badass again like he was at the start of the manga, but he still can't beat an Admiral. I thought the point of the 2 years was to be able to at least do enough damage for him and his crew to get away from an Admiral, because it would be piss-easy for one of the three (assuming there's not more now) to wait in the New World for them and eliminate the threat. They probably even have windows in the side of the Red Line to watch for people entering the New World.

Also Zoro's not remotely Rayleigh-like, Rayleigh's a great character but is such a badass Obi-wan cliche it's a miracle he's still alive after passing on his skills, Zoro is Zoro. If Zoro had to swim the Calm Belt the only way he'd get to his destination is by defeating some Sea King or other in a drinking contest and get it to give him a ride, or something...
Unless he has gained Haki navigation powers, which would be funny as hell..

Also. Zoro eating a Devil's Fruit would be a disappointing cop-out. OK sure he'd be badass but it would mean that his own skills weren't enough to protect the crew, even after begging the opponent he'd been aiming at for years for help and losing an eye.. and there's been quite enough depressing failure in the story for a while..

karthikmurs
March 01, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hmm. Zorro is way behind defeating Rayleigh. But I can tell this - He is at most at the level of mid-tier Vice Admiral. That about it.. But.. Luffy... He is about mid to top Vice Admirals. He can go toe to toe against them. This also obviously means, he can hold his ground against an admiral. Beating an Admiral, far behind that stage. But at least he will not go down easily and if Admirals get distracted, Zorro/Luffy can make a run for it.

Deicide
March 05, 2011, 05:04 PM
Zoro as strong as Rayleigh?

No way.