PDA

View Full Version : Question Donquixote D. O'Flamingo?

Mad Wanze
January 03, 2011, 08:31 AM
We don't know what exactly the D. in many names of One Piece means. So far we've seen that most of them are fearless and playful charachters, and with a very strong will. What we sure lack is "villains" with the D.. I've read theories about how the D.s could be a bloodline, or something like that, and probably we'll meet other D.s in the New World. But what if we already know one who, like Gold Roger, hides his D. in his name? I think he has a kind of personality that could fit with other D.s, even if twisted on a more evil side. I had this idea seeing how Doflamingo is another of those always-smiling carachters we've met in One piece. What do you think?

Bugzee
January 03, 2011, 08:42 AM
Just a lil clarification: The WG came up with the "Gold Roger" (http://www.mangareader.net/103-47876-10/one-piece/chapter-576.html) name not Roger himself; why would he want to hide the D in his name for?

Mad Wanze
January 03, 2011, 09:01 AM
We don't even know what this man really wants :) he could have his reasons. he is an interesting charachter and til now hasn't been developed at all. It's sure that in the New World he'll be one of the most important villains, and when we'll reach the saga where he'll be the final boss we'll know the truth about him. Til now we can only make theories about him

modoki
January 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
I dont think he is a part of the will of D, although he may seem like a one man force to attempt to kiss butt with the WG and overturn them alone

alelucas
May 11, 2013, 11:46 PM
Nice old thread!

That's the question: DD is a D?

If one writes ・ド・ (do between interpuncts), this katakana can be read like the ・D・ from モンキー・D・ルフィ (Monkey D. Luffy).

So Donquixote ・ド・ Flamingo, that is, Donquixote D. Flamingo. (There is no O before Flamingo in this case.)

Thus, it's enough to insert a right interpunct to change DD into a D.

We've already seen this when a left interpunct was inserted in Gold (ゴールド・), then, it's become Gol D. (ゴール・D・).

BTW I think D. abbreviates an honorific title because it's unlikely that all D. characters have an odd and identical first given name. Besides, to give two given names is unusual in Japan.

Maybe his real name is Quixote D. Flamingo, but as he's become a king he's adopted an honorific title, Don. Besides, Dressrosa seems an Italy-, Spain-themed island/kingdom, then, Don— an Italian, Spanish honorific title— makes sense.

In our universe (IDK in OPverse), Don is put before the given name. So Quixote can be a given name, not a family name. If so, Flamingo is another animal-related family name like other D. characters: Flamingo D. Quixote.

Oda's Puzzles :^_^

EDIT: I note we occasionaly forget that Oda names his characters using either Eastern Order (eg Monkey D. Luffy) or Western Order (eg Edward Newgate).

EDIT: I don't speak Japanese. It's only amateur research (raw manga, OPwiki etc) and guessing.