PDA

View Full Version : S-class Promotion: Who's your bet?

miramira
February 27, 2011, 10:37 AM
Grimore Heart battle aside, or should I say, if the S-class trial continued later on, who would you like to win? If your bet has already lost, who among the remaining contestants do you think deserves to win?

The original contestants were:
Mest
Levy
Fried
Kana
Elfman
Juvia
Gray
Natsu

:cheerbunny
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cbJecw4uhjk/TJXDG4NIytI/AAAAAAAADDI/Zmkb-akN7e0/s1600/Fairy+tail+201.jpg

Note: You can still choose to vote a character even if he/she's already out of the trial, if you really think he/she deserves the promotion the most, but please explain why you think he/she's The One. xD

ca12nag3
February 27, 2011, 11:31 AM
I voted Cana, in the end its her arc. She introed it then she will be the S-Class. The others will just fall short in different areas. You need more then raw power to be S-Class.

Uriel
February 28, 2011, 12:10 PM
I also voted Cana. Poor thing, She needs it. Although She's miserably weak.

White Silver King
March 01, 2011, 06:42 PM
It's gonna be Natsu of course. Kana will try to leave after she doesn't win but everyone will gather and show her how much they all love her and we'll get a flashback of her being an outcast when she first got to the guild but everyone lived her automatically. Then Natsu will get angry and yell at her that "We're Nakama and nakama never abandon each other!" and everyone will show surprise for no apparent reason. Then Kana will cry and decide not to leave. Then the guild will break a lot of stuff in celebration. In short, it will be done in exact Mashima fashion.

kkck
March 01, 2011, 07:02 PM
Other than natsu, grey and jubia I really don't see any of these guys being capable of being an sclass mage. Levi is versatile but I think she lacks in terms of power, cana is perhaps a bit stronger than levi, elfman is perhaps along the lines of natsu or grey but I still think he falls just a bit short.

Baka_Sousui
March 02, 2011, 12:06 AM
Okay,
Out so far:
Mest, Fried, Juvia

Still in with a chance:
Natsu, Gray, Kana, Levy, Elfman

I still can't rule any of them out, but I would say something on the lines that Natsu and Gray may not end up S-class just for team dynamic reasons. They have been internal rivals for a long time, to see one get in over the other may change their chemistry a bit

Kana And Levy seem like the two weaker members here, but somehow I feel like they are still in with a big chance. Potential

Elfman is borderline for me. I mean he is strong but I don't feel he is quite ready.

But the current situation may end up meaning the outcome of who becomes S-class could change significantly. The Exam could either be postponed or see a few members promoted depending on the how things a handled.

bittman
March 02, 2011, 01:54 AM
You guys do realise that "Kana's arc" might not be her succeding/failing the S-class exam, but the aftermath instead?

I voted Natsu, of the group he does definitely appear to be the strongest and most reliable. I don't think many of the others really have that S-class ability. Gray hasn't grown as fast as Natsu, Elfman hasn't really had a good chance to "shine" and Kana + Levy just appear to be short of the mark.

I've always wondered about Kana though. She hasn't gotten a chance to shine at all and never had a dedicated opponent shown in chapters. It's almost like Mashima is hiding her abilities a little....

Ero-Sanji
March 02, 2011, 04:52 AM
I voted Fried for obvious reasons. He's clearly not the strongest since Natsu's the only one who hasn't lost a battle but Fried has a perfect combination of skill, intelligence and strength. He's also extremely loyal and now that everything is alright, he will always be there.

Levy, Cana and Elfman aren't even close in my opinion, were Levy lacks battle skill and strength Elfman lacks intelligence. However, Cana did indeed prove to be a formidable leader at the crisis with the phantoms but in terms of power she's lacking a lot.

Natsu, Grey and Lluvia has it all, in my book, except for leadership. Natsu is too hotheaded while Lluvia is too quiet. Yes, both of them are happy to sacrifice themself for their friends but they often don't think it through. Grey is the best out of those three due to his calmness and tactic mind but he's no where near Fried, Imo.

But! Now Fried isn't available so I guess it's between Cana and Natsu for plot reasons.

ghostexiled
March 02, 2011, 10:53 AM
My guess would be Cana or somebody not really expected...

I agree with bittman in his theory that Mashima is holding back on her.

I have a feeling that she will make some big move/sacrifice against GH and from that deed alone will prove her worthy.

Personally though... I wanted Juvia.

peleihno
March 03, 2011, 05:47 PM
No one will win, there won't be a new S-Class. GH is far more important, the exam doesn't matter anymore.

sarutobi_sensei
March 04, 2011, 07:57 AM
Actually I don't want Natsu to become an S-Class Mage on this test. I'm thinking it will be either Cana or Juvia.

miramira
March 06, 2011, 03:41 AM
I've always wondered about Kana though. She hasn't gotten a chance to shine at all and never had a dedicated opponent shown in chapters. It's almost like Mashima is hiding her abilities a little....

I agree with you there. I've always noticed Kana's fights were always not shown much, even in the anime in Kana vs Fried battle we didn't see much, she was already losing when she was shown.

[hr]

I voted Fried for obvious reasons. He's clearly not the strongest since Natsu's the only one who hasn't lost a battle but Fried has a perfect combination of skill, intelligence and strength. He's also extremely loyal and now that everything is alright, he will always be there.

Levy, Cana and Elfman aren't even close in my opinion, were Levy lacks battle skill and strength Elfman lacks intelligence. However, Cana did indeed prove to be a formidable leader at the crisis with the phantoms but in terms of power she's lacking a lot.

Natsu, Grey and Lluvia has it all, in my book, except for leadership. Natsu is too hotheaded while Lluvia is too quiet. Yes, both of them are happy to sacrifice themself for their friends but they often don't think it through. Grey is the best out of those three due to his calmness and tactic mind but he's no where near Fried, Imo.

But! Now Fried isn't available so I guess it's between Cana and Natsu for plot reasons.

I'm not very sure about Fried... but I agree with you about the other characters.

I wanted Juvia or Grey to win, though I also see that they're not much of a leader.

Natsu stands a great chance but I don't see him ready for S-class missions. He's powerful and all, but I think he lacks calm and tactic.. I think he'll cause more mayhem when he handles s-class mission. maybe he'll blow up a whole island. haha. I love Natsu anyways/

[hr]

Oh no, I apologise everyone! It seems I set this poll as private? I didn't mean to. Here are the results so far O_O

Mest 0 0%
Levy 1 3.45%
Fried 2 6.90%
Kana 13 44.83%
Elfman 0 0%
Juvia 2 6.90%
Gray 1 3.45%
Natsu 10 4.48%

Anyone knows if I can still change it to public? X.X

Tsukisama
March 06, 2011, 04:41 AM
:confused The poll doesn't seem to be set to private. Everyone should already be able to see the results.

miramira
March 06, 2011, 05:14 AM
It's not? Ow. goood. Sorry, I sent the link to my friend and she said she can't see the results. So I thought it's private D":

Tsukisama
March 06, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hmm... Is your friend a member of this site? As long as your friend has an account, she should be able to see the results.

miramira
March 06, 2011, 05:46 AM
She's not. Aww, that must be it! I apologise for the confusion. D:

No problem. If she enjoys manga, perhaps you should convince her to join ;)

eefrit
March 06, 2011, 11:39 PM
I'm starting to dislike Cana, but plot requires her to win in order to progress.

Evil3ye
March 07, 2011, 05:06 AM
In the beginning I had my money on Lluvia, but she lost against Erza in round 2.. or what was it :confused:

I'm going with Cana now as I think it's a bit too early in the manga that Natsu or Gray become S mages.

Oni_James
March 07, 2011, 06:25 AM
I'm starting to dislike Cana, but plot requires her to win in order to progress.

It's exactly the way I was thinking when i finished reading chapter 224. xD
I also agree with Evil3ye that Natsu and Gray are not strong enough to be a S class mage.
On the other hand i see Natsu is pretty close to the S class. Next would be Juvia, next Gray and Fried. Levy has also some good abilities, more about planning and strategy (obviously not about strenght, because that's probably her weak point).
She has shown us a resolution as hard as steel (lol Gazille) in some critical moments like before Fantasia in the cathedral vs Fried's runes and in this last chapter.

mars0103
March 09, 2011, 03:25 AM
no matter what all the constants and some off the helper will get to s rank because of defending fairy island. The ones that show strengh, wisdom or knowledge. nastu has shown 'wisdom' (to know fear), lucy has shown 'wisdom' (to use the mind) and gajeel has shown 'strengh' (the heart)

Tsukisama
March 10, 2011, 10:01 PM
I also voted for Cana for plot reasons, but if I could vote for a second person, it would definitely be Levy. Every time we see Levy, she is becoming a much stronger character, either skill-wise (like against Fried's runes) or emotionally (like in the previous chapter).

Levy definitely doesn't have the power necessary for S-class missions, but I think she should be the next S-class promotion during the next exam at which point she will hopefully have grown in power.

Evil3ye
March 11, 2011, 09:04 AM
Levy is nowhere near S-Class at this point. Cleverness only should IMHO not be enough for a promotion to the Fairy Tail Elite.

Looking at the current and former mages Erza, Gildart , Mistgun, Luxus, Mirajan, they all are well rounded in physical strength, intellegence and are capable of using a decent variety of magics.

Elfman again I think is the opposite of Levy here. Fusing them and one would have a perfect S-class warrior. :cookiehand

kkck
March 12, 2011, 07:46 PM
I think levi will pull it off. She is not strong but last chapter she showed decent leadership skills, I think that might pull things in her favor in the long run.

Kuzumikun
March 13, 2011, 02:06 AM
Kana or Levi if lucky both, but i doubt they would choose two.
Kana because it's her arc. She is depressed to be a S-rank Mage
Levi because she has the brains and can use it to her advantage.
I don't actually want Natsu as a S-Rank...i dunno whyXD
[hr]

I think levi will pull it off. She is not strong but last chapter she showed decent leadership skills, I think that might pull things in her favor in the long run.

this too...Levi did show leadership last chapter. She can pull it off. All she needs to do work on fighting more.

Jorge D. Dragon
March 13, 2011, 09:57 AM
I voted for Natsu. Actually I don't see anyone exept Natsu, Freid, Gajeel or Luvia becoming S-class mage right now. Obviously because they lack power. To become S-calss mage you shouldn't only be leader or smartass, but the most important is the powerful magic to prevail against others and obviously Cana or Levy can't do this...
Gray might have a chance in the next exam, but now he also lacks power.

jorped
March 13, 2011, 05:48 PM
on my oppinion lots of them are going to turn to S-class mages, natsu for me is the one with more chance, principally due to the fact that he is going to have most likely a major role in all this battle against Grimoire Heart, he already defeated 1, now is Ultear time to feel the power of a dragon slayer :P, lol i am kidding , is impossible for Natsu to defeat her

kkck
March 14, 2011, 03:11 AM
Well, I doubt erza, mira or luxus were that strong when they first became s-class mages. More importantly, based on what we saw during the exam it was not a matter of whether the examinators were matched in terms of combat power but rather it was a matter of whether the examinators deemed the teams worthy of passing. Consider the natsu incident against gildarts, gildarts deemed him worthy of being an s-class mage after deciding natsu had the power and aptitude to do it. Mira was actually defeated so to speak and erza did beat the crap out of jubia so I guess there was a certain freedom about how to go about it. Anyways, each examinator in the end had the freedom to determine how and if someone passed a test. In that sense, being as strong as erza or mira is not a prerequisite to being an s-class mage but rather meeting a minimum level of strength and other aptitudes (unless of course we assume the current s-class mages are just as strong now as they were when they became s-class mages).

Now, lets also consider the one s-class mission we did see. Natsu and grey did not really need erza to deal with it, in terms of fighting power they were perfectly suited for it. They were a bit overwhelmed against the oracion 6 but did ultimately fine. In that sense, most of the candidates for the exam do still have ways to go before catching up to erza or mira but in turn they do seem to have the sheer power and skill to be s-class mages. Erza and mira are also older than them so most likely by the time most of the current candidates are 19 they will be quite stronger and probably close to what the s-class mages are showing now (not gildarts though).

Kuzumikun
March 17, 2011, 04:01 PM
it is waaay to early to have gray and natsu be s-ranked mages so i take em out of the list
elfman can be the s-rank mage but i dun think it will be him
juvia has a good chance as levi does but i cant yet say juvia will be a s-rank
levi on the other hand i can see her advancing to s-rank cuz of her brains and information, but one thing that give me doubts are strength..i need to see more from her
fried left the island so not him(unless he comes back which i doubt he will)
that leaves kana...hmmmm well i think she will plot wise, but i dunno maybe not because one thing when makarov finds out she put lucy in danger he will get angry because puting your conrades in danger is not what a s-rank or even any mage thing too do
we'll just have to find out >,<

kamakazi_1996
March 19, 2011, 01:45 PM
i voted natsu because he is probably the only one left who has great combat skills, instinct and determination to become s-class i know most of the time natsu is pretty stupid but he has shown loads of times where he has been a genius e.g. tipping the pyramid so the moon cant hit deliorra (can't spell its name) and even in fighting he has great strategies.

Also if natsu becomes s-class i think he might be able to go on bigger missions and be able to find out clues about where igneel is, it might even be possible that natsu might team up with gildartz and go out to find the black dragon

Lee-tyme7
March 20, 2011, 07:42 PM
I think Levy might win becus she was the one who suggest everyone regroup and if I were a staff member this is the quality I would be looking for.
As for Cana I think her action will lead to her failure once again but I believe this was her running gag. I think it is not the S-Class but to find that someone she's interested in. She kept failing every year so even if she fail again she'll retake the test next year with the same excuse as Mira jane said she always uses. lol.

alphabeta
March 30, 2011, 08:47 AM
Natsu. He just has to become S-class, due to following reasons:

1. Without becoming S-class he cannot go look for his father / teacher / whatsoever. ( After S-class jobs, come SS, then 10 years and so on...)

2. This is Natsu, he wants something, he gets it...

Well, then again there is the possibility, that he goes the "Naruto-route" and becomes the strongest in the Fairytail-verse, but still stays same ol' no-S-class-mage. Heck, i wouldn't be surprised if Mashima made a timeskip, with Natsu training somewhere, then coming back, and finding out, that everyone (including Lucy) has become S-class...

Jorge D. Dragon
March 30, 2011, 12:53 PM
alphabeta
Actually if it goes that way it would be too Naruto like if everyone exept him will become S-class mage.:)

Actually I really hope for him to become S-class mage. He is strong, the strongest in his generation, has leadership, he cares for his friends and has enormous growth rate. So I do believe that he will become S class mage pretty soon.:)

ca12nag3
March 30, 2011, 04:02 PM
Its not a matter of him being strong and having a lot of potential, im curious if he can think smarter then he does atm. S class and SS class quests are dangerous or to complex for a normal mage, you need to solve riddles, think up solutions for problems other then waving your fists.
And apart from him seeing that he could not win from Gildarts ive not seen anything that sugests he has the inteligence yet.

Just look at who are S class so far, Mirajane,Erza,Mystogan (former),Laxus(former) and Gildarts as SS. All these characters have planning, inteligence both in battle and out of battle, as well as serious fighting power.

My bet will be on Levi, since im not so sure bout Cana anymore. I dont see the author rewarding bad behavior to promote a character that dumps his/her teammate.

Kuzumikun
April 05, 2011, 08:19 PM
seeing this chapter i have no clue anymore D:
erza was pretty impress of juvia and how she got her power up because of her love for grey
oh well my bet is till levy :D

ShoobyDooBop
April 12, 2011, 07:32 PM
After this war, I don't think Makarov will choose one. And Cana is the least to become S-Class. She just thinks about herself while her friends is fighting for each other. But my bet is Gray.

ghostexiled
April 16, 2011, 02:13 AM
Please remember that if you are going to post... post the REASON you made the choice you made!

Do not just post one liners stating who you think it will be, we can already see that in the poll.

Thanks!

Thorvardur
April 16, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have to say Cana because of all the drama that is going on with her. and if she wouldn't become S-class mage of fairy tail than there wouldn't be any point in all of this with her "I have to become S-class member or it is all over" show. but I sincerely hope it's Natsu because he's awesome and he deserves it.

scareChinaman
April 18, 2011, 04:21 PM
My vote is for everyone getting promoted because unless someone gets thrown out of the guild.
I don't see how their all not getting promoted after this.

ShoobyDooBop
April 18, 2011, 04:41 PM
You're saying that all of them should become S-Class just because they fight? How ridiculous.

73rdStar
April 20, 2011, 12:56 AM
no matter what all the constants and some off the helper will get to s rank because of defending fairy island. The ones that show strengh, wisdom or knowledge. nastu has shown 'wisdom' (to know fear), lucy has shown 'wisdom' (to use the mind) and gajeel has shown 'strengh' (the heart)

yeah right..i guess there will be a lot of them that will be promoted

lawlett-kun
April 22, 2011, 06:04 PM
I think none of them will actually become s class...Who would actually continue with the S rank exam after such a battle and where Zeref can completely awaken any given moment

RaveDragon
April 25, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm thinking Cana so she wont have to leave the guild unless she will leave the guild heroically pulling a good laxus or Levy proving that brain is just as important as brawn and her encouraging everyone lately also is a good trait!

edit; or maybe someone not from the selected ones because they gave a good fight or something but with GH attacking no one is also an option

matzik1212
April 27, 2011, 08:32 AM
i also think there won't be just one... after all they did a pretty good job so far(well at least some of them:p) ....the fight against grimiore isn't an easy one but even so they are hanging there so i think they deserve to be s-class at least natsu and juvia they each managed to defeat one of the 7 kin so they deserve IMO :nod

Evil3ye
April 27, 2011, 11:19 AM
So Kana is as good as confirmed now?

ca12nag3
April 27, 2011, 11:36 AM
dont think so, the proces was halted due to the attacks. Canas upgrade is a personal decision by Mavis. But it could be a sign makarov recognizing her as S-Class.

So far all of them learned something during their trial thats 1 thing people seem to overlook.

lawlett-kun
April 27, 2011, 11:38 AM
dont think so, the proces was halted due to the attacks. Canas upgrade is a personal decision by Mavis. But it could be a sign makarov recognizing her as S-Class.

So far all of them learned something during their trial thats 1 thing people seem to overlook.

Well I think she will become S class... The whole arc started that She needs to be S class no mater what and blah blah like that. And secondly, we are tired of emo Cana already

ca12nag3
April 27, 2011, 02:31 PM
Well I think she will become S class... The whole arc started that She needs to be S class no mater what and blah blah like that. And secondly, we are tired of emo Cana already

Well emo Cana haha shes more like someone who developed a inferiority complex. The sole purpose of solving that situation depends on her not to become S-Class and accept who she is. Also reconsile with her father.
If she becomes S-Class the inferiority feelings remain undealt with.

There is the posibility of her becomming S-Class but in a talk with Gildarts solve the underlying issues.

RaveDragon
April 28, 2011, 08:05 AM
So Kana is as good as confirmed now?

nothing is ever confirmed with mashima right now she seems to be wanting to save everyone and then leave because of guilt...
there could be multiple s-class promotions though im not sure id like that well unless given in the right way xD

Kazu-Sama
July 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
I think either multiple people'll become S-class, or Cana. I still voted for Fried, though, as he's the strongest. Give him a bit of time to set up, and he's unbeatable :D

White Silver King
July 19, 2011, 02:27 PM
I think either multiple people'll become S-class, or Cana. I still voted for Fried, though, as he's the strongest. Give him a bit of time to set up, and he's unbeatable
Someone should tell that to Mira...

Kuzumikun
July 19, 2011, 02:31 PM
I agree with multiple people will become S-Rank, but i assume only S-Rank'd candidates not partners.
For example it would be Cana, Natsu, Levy, etc; but not Lucy, Happy, and Gazill<~ idk how to spell his name.

Kazu-Sama
July 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
Mira didn't have to contend with any runes, just his writing skills. Put Mira in a rune that limits magic power or anything, and she'll lose without a doubt...

Darjaille
July 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
I could see bad ending this arc (imagine Zeref awakening or FT Dark Guild by Council) so they are in need for more S-Class, so I guess all the powerhouses are going to be promoted (I don't see there Lisanna, Levy, Wendy and maybe Cana and Lucy).. or not.