PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Popularity of One Piece Among Adults

tonyyao82
March 03, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hey everyone, just a recent One Piece fan. I know NHK did a survey on One Piece and I do wonder what makes it so appealing to adults. I would like to share these thoughts here.

http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/3601503033/one-piece-popularity

When and how did everyone get into One Piece in the first place?

MaiSiaoSiao
March 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
I first watch one piece like 8years ago.Was switching tv channels then i saw OP.watch it for aw few episodes then the tv station stopped airing it.7years later.I overheard my classmates talking bout OP.So i decided to watch op from ep1.Up till now XD

Geez
March 03, 2011, 08:41 PM
Mangatherapy summed it up well!

At first, i was only interested in naruto, bleach and co. and ignored One Piece because of its particular design. But, reading a lot of different mangas makes your tastes evolve, and once you started OP you can't imagine a second to stop... it's insane !!!

I'm not an early fan, but i did my best to catch up the delay. Now, i cannot understand why certain people insist on ignoring OP, it's like:

- "Yeah i LOVE big action movies"
- "Really? Did you see Avatar?"
- "Eww no, they're too blue."
- :arro

saladesu
March 03, 2011, 09:17 PM
I got into One Piece when I was 14 or 15, so I guess I wasn't an adult then :p

I think like most others I was into Naruto and Bleach first, and the length and artwork of One Piece bothered me and I avoided it like the plague. But my brother convinced me to read it, kept saying it was the best manga ever, and after like 2 months I succumbed :XD

Now I'm the one trying to convince others to read it, but as one would expect 600+ chapters is rather daunting...

As for what makes it appealing to adults, I would say it's its humor and lightheartedness. After a hard day of work it's something happy to look forward to, I guess? At the same time it also has a blend of maturity and epicness and much emotion to make you invested in the characters.

Shiki_Dance
March 03, 2011, 10:25 PM
I remember reading the article about OP's popularity among adults and thinking, "hey, that's ME!"

I didn't start reading OP until... maybe about 3 years ago now, meaning I was already in my 20s by then. Then and now, I'm not a big follower of manga and anime. A series here and there when I have the time (being a graduate student, that's not often), and I adore the Miyazaki films, but most of the popular stuff is formulaic and uninteresting to me. OP was and is a huge exception.

I think the main point is the storytelling. Oda's style is very suited to an older audience. Younger people get into the angsty drama (romance being a big part of that), while an older audience will find that style of drama juvenile and frustrating. It's no fun to read/watch. We've dealt with all that already, don't need to go there again (ugh, middle school memories...). The drama in OP is much more mature. The characters are personally dealing with their emotions and the situations in a way that makes more sense to us.

That said, OP has this sense of child-like wonder at the world and, even at it's most dramatic moments, never forgets that this sense of adventure and discovery is really close to its heart. Adults embracing their inner child appreciate this while a younger audience may not feel that it is possible to be completely serious and hilariously silly at the same time.

And there is such honesty in the way Oda tells the story. You can feel his earnestness and love for the characters. He does what he feels like doing, and the story is better for it.

Ok, I could gush forever, but I will wrap up with saying that I, too, was one of those people that it took a few tries - getting further each time - to get into the series. The artwork turned me off. Not that I liked more traditional anime style (I actually really, really don't), but because it just wasn't... very good. The further I got and the more Oda settled into his own personal and unique drawing style, the better OP became. Recently, I think the artwork has become simply stunning with lush backgrounds and dynamic page layouts.

I guess it's worth mentioning, in order to get a vague idea of where I come from with my views (obviously everything I said is a matter of my own opinion), that I received my undergraduate degree in Fine Arts and I'm currently working on a graduate degree in computer animation. So basically, I decided to pick a career where acting like a kid for the rest of my life is not only possible, but required to be good at my job. As a visual storyteller, Oda is a huge inspiration to me.

Wow, long post. Sorry. :darn

tonyyao82
March 03, 2011, 11:47 PM
Wow, guys. Thanks for the responses.

I heard about One Piece and saw an episode on 4Kids. But, honestly, I never got interested in it. Until after the time-skip. One of my cousins kept talking about it religiously, so I finally decided to catch it.

I do feel that the family theme is very prevalent towards adults. I'm sure there are teens that worry about these issues, but adults want people they can trust and be alright around.

Nico Robin proclaiming her will to live and the Straw Hats raising their fists in support of Vivi are two of my favorite moments.

Schabrak
March 04, 2011, 07:57 AM
Seems like my tenth anniversity was in january, meaning I'm a fan for a whole decade + 2 months.^^ I remeber reading about OP in the last volume of DB[rls Nov/Dec '00 and it was advertized with "the jouney will go on" starting in Januarry '01 and loved it since, well as a die hard fanDB of , I got hooked up with Luffy, Zorro and Nami the moment I led the book in my hands. :D

matzik1212
March 04, 2011, 10:57 AM
i'm not an old fan of OP :) i heard about it since long ago but at first i didn't felt attracted to start this series 'cause (i'm ashamed of myself:p) i didn't liked luffy at first(now of course he's one of my favs) ...i don't know but at first i thought luffy's appearance was kinda strange and annoying so i didn't give it a try until one day and thank' god for that 'cause i fell in love again just like how happened with naruto :XD

Uriel
March 06, 2011, 05:38 PM
Well, I'm a huge fan of One Piece, but it did not started that way. Naruto was my thing and I followed it convinced that it was the best. Then I discovered Hunter X Hunter and my taste evolved quite significantly to start to consider story over art (And knowing Hunter X Hunter it's the only way xD) and then I knew Bleach. They were both fine and I avoided One Piece because the art did not appeal me at first.

Last year I was bored so I decided to give it a chance and...Oh damn. Got me COMPLETELY. I quickly forgot about my opinion of the art and suddenly could see the awesome of it comparing with the rest.

Bhoot
March 06, 2011, 11:46 PM
Well when i was younger , me and my mom used to sit together and watch One Piece . It was one of the very few times that we got to spend together since she is generally very busy with work .

Well , but around the Arlong arc, One Piece stopped airing on Cartoon Network . Well then i had no relation to it , until like 6 months or so ago when i started reading One Piece . [I came to this forum coz of Fairy Tail , but ended up reading One Piece a lot as well]

Now i m only 18 so i m not sure u can call me a full grown adult though

Aikidoka
March 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
Well, technically I'm now an adult...=P

In all seriousness though, what Shiki_Dance is IMO by and large true. One Piece appeals to both the young and the old with its style, unlike other manga who usually can only appeal to one demographic. I'm finding myself mostly growing out of Bleach, for instance, sticking to it more because of loyalty than an active interest.

Then there's the other reason, in that those of us who were teenagers when One Piece was still new are now adults. Dang I feel old...

Reaper00
March 07, 2011, 04:16 PM
Well i heard a lot of One Piece before i got into it but for some reason i never look for it, until i saw it in 4kids and thought ohh so this is One Piece needless to say i notice the lollipop and other stuff and even with all that i like it so i look for it online and it blew my mind, its amazing.
Ever since then i have seen all the tv episodes and read all the manga its by far my favorite manga and anime ever.
I remember the first time i saw the drawings and thought thats an unusual drawing style but still like it because it wasnt the same face as most mangas out there and it has so many epic moments in its story that its really hard to say this is the best one well at least for me.
I just love One Piece!!!

RichardMNixon
March 08, 2011, 09:34 AM
I remember being irritated by Usopp's nose and Enel's ears when I first saw it but other than that the art never really bothered me. Never liked Naruto though. I was a big fan of Yakitate Japan and a friend told me that One Piece was basically the same anime.

Nefnora
March 08, 2011, 12:50 PM
I started watching the One Piece anime ten years ago, pretty much as the anime started.
At that time, animes were still hard to obtain in the west, even fansubbed ones. You were considered a hard-core anime fan even with as little as ten gigs. And I was an anime hogger. I watched pretty much anything and everything I could get my hands on. Needless to say, One Piece made my list and it immediately was one of my favorites.
Oddly enough, I never disliked the art, though love isn't the right word either. Guess I'm an exception, but when you've suffered ten years of cartoon network and all the crap they put out, One Piece is heaven.

I switched to the manga when I found out there was one. At some point, the anime became too slow for my taste and I dropped it. I dropped the manga for a while too, during the Enies Lobbies arc and Impel Down. The fighting just didn't attract me. But now we're back to the story and I'm back all in :).

That is the first reason I like OP and many other manga so much. So many stories are so fantastically and magnificiently deep! The emotions, the humor, the fun, the mystery, the adventure, the laughter, tears and even anger. I don't mean to badmouth western series or comics, but... They never gave me a thrill anywhere close to that.

Razh
March 09, 2011, 05:48 AM
I picked it up on German RTL II. Not sure if it was 2000. or 1999. (depends when it started airing there). It's a funny story, really. One day my brother bought some Songoku figure and on the back of the box, there were pictures of another product. It said One Piece and there was some skinny boy with a straw hat, a pirate with 3 KATANAS!!! (OMG SO COOL), a blond guy in suit and a red haired girl. I instinctively liked it, because, who doesn't like pirates?

Then, like a week after that, I watch RTL II for it's anime afternoon (do have some knowledge of German) and suddenly, there's announcement of new anime coming. Imagine my surprise. Talk about synchronicity...
As a result, this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yI57yiNYA) stuck on as a One Piece theme for me. Anyway, after a while, they started cutting out some scenes, like Luffy's punches connecting and stuff like that, but, by that time, I already had monster connection, so I freed myself from TV. Eventually, I realized that you can actually read manga on internet (WOW!).

Now I'm 26, and still stuck to it. I can't even say how many times we played pirates with rubber boats when we were kids. Imagining sea battles, fighting with weird monsters or imaginary pirates... It's a child's dream come true, but it also has enough depth to keep a grown up interested.

kidopitz27
March 09, 2011, 07:30 AM
i first saw OP when i was in highschool and it's on Anime form already and then i just like the first time you ate a food and it became your favorite food that is what OP feels for me :)

why OP is popular among adults?

OP started on year 1997 (i'm 7 years old when it was release i think internet doesn't exist in the mass yet i think?) so a lot of Japanese read it in the normal way buying manga if you are a Japanese at that time my estimates of age is like 10 to 15 years old and up until now you still follow it and now your 20-25 yrs old and you are an adult and maybe that's why a lot of people like OP because they've read it since they were still kids:)

perroloco
March 09, 2011, 07:36 AM
Lord Uriel wrote:
Well, I'm a huge fan of One Piece, but it did not started that way. Naruto was my thing and I followed it convinced that it was the best. Then I discovered Hunter X Hunter and my taste evolved quite significantly to start to consider story over art (And knowing Hunter X Hunter it's the only way xD) and then I knew Bleach. They were both fine and I avoided One Piece because the art did not appeal me at first.

Last year I was bored so I decided to give it a chance and...Oh damn. Got me COMPLETELY. I quickly forgot about my opinion of the art and suddenly could see the awesome of it comparing with the rest.

Exactly the same thing for me, except I never got into BLEACH nor didn't like ONE PIECE's art, I read it in Shonen Jump since it came to the US, around 8 years ago but something wasn't right, it just didn't hook me. Personally I think it was the format, 3 chapters per month is just bad IMO, is hard to explain since 1 chapter per week makes you want to see more, but 3 chapters per month means wainting a month for the next 3 chapters! :S
Maybe that's why I have never liked monthly serializations LOL
BTW I remember you from Cemzoo :)

Uriel
March 09, 2011, 02:16 PM
Exactly the same thing for me, except I never got into BLEACH nor didn't like ONE PIECE's art, I read it in Shonen Jump since it came to the US, around 8 years ago but something wasn't right, it just didn't hook me. Personally I think it was the format, 3 chapters per month is just bad IMO, is hard to explain since 1 chapter per week makes you want to see more, but 3 chapters per month means wainting a month for the next 3 chapters! :S
Maybe that's why I have never liked monthly serializations LOL
BTW I remember you from Cemzoo :)
I'm still on Cemzoo :P

I got into Bleach because friends recommendation and while playing D&D they used some references all the time. In order to follow those, I started to read Bleach. Which I follow just for the habit instead of the passion I've for One Piece.

DarkRage
March 11, 2011, 05:54 AM
I picked it up on German RTL II. Not sure if it was 2000. or 1999. (depends when it started airing there). It's a funny story, really. One day my brother bought some Songoku figure and on the back of the box, there were pictures of another product. It said One Piece and there was some skinny boy with a straw hat, a pirate with 3 KATANAS!!! (OMG SO COOL), a blond guy in suit and a red haired girl. I instinctively liked it, because, who doesn't like pirates?

Then, like a week after that, I watch RTL II for it's anime afternoon (do have some knowledge of German) and suddenly, there's announcement of new anime coming. Imagine my surprise. Talk about synchronicity...
As a result, this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yI57yiNYA) stuck on as a One Piece theme for me. Anyway, after a while, they started cutting out some scenes, like Luffy's punches connecting and stuff like that, but, by that time, I already had monster connection, so I freed myself from TV. Eventually, I realized that you can actually read manga on internet (WOW!).

Now I'm 26, and still stuck to it. I can't even say how many times we played pirates with rubber boats when we were kids. Imagining sea battles, fighting with weird monsters or imaginary pirates... It's a child's dream come true, but it also has enough depth to keep a grown up interested.

hehe nearly same op history i got.
started also watching one piece on RTL 2, but started a bit later with it, first time i watched it was arlong arc. Since then im hooked to it.
Normally watched rtl2 for pokemon and db then one day i started watching one piece, so it was my first anime of the big 3, after that came naruto and then after a while bleach.

I started really late with reading the manga 4 years ago, when i was 18, so u can say the manga got me as an adult, but the anime got my attention long before.

And still one piece is the only manga and anime i'm 100% satisfied with, not like naruto or bleach.

And i still can identify mayself with zoro a lot, beer, fighting and same sense of direction (i even get lost on ways i go every day and in my hometown, really small town...and yeah i'm never drunk when i get lost xD)

So i think one piece is suited for adults, especially since mf arc because it started to mature there, people really die etc... pain suffering...

so i will read one piece till the end and wait every week for the chapter to come out, because for me one piece is like a drug even more addictive than cocaine and heroin only without the sideeffects

ps: now i can't get the song out of my head, feel like a child again THANKS!!! :D

Uriel
March 11, 2011, 01:41 PM
The german op is so much better than the spanish one :O

jorped
March 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
first of all the first anime that i watched already knowing that what i was going to see was an anime , yes when i watched dragonball and other popular old animes i hadnt a clue that they were called animes and i didnt even know what was a manga lol , was Naruto and it was already more than 2 years and half ago. On that time it was summer and Naruto started airing on a channel here on Portugal and me and my twin brother got addicted to it since the first chapter. On that time i remember that the episodes aired everyday more and less at 19:30 i think and somedays me and my brother went working in my dad worplace and on those days it was boring because of the work but me and my brother were always talking about what we thought that would happen and we were anxious that the time was fast to ....

after only 15 episodes i was so addicted that i couldnt wait and for me and my brother, 5 episodes a week was 2 slow, so we looked on the internet to try to find places to see online, at first i watched the episodes on youtube , which isnt a really good place to see that stuff but around episode 50 i found a site called "foipararnanet" which had all the epidoes subbed on portuguese (brasil) and i was so excited, cuz during sometime i was looking on the internet for a place that had it and i wasnt finding any. On that time i didnt have much confident on my english so i was trying to find a place with the episodes with portuguese legends which is almost impossible but i found that place with portuguese (brasil) and i was so addicted that in some days i even got to watch 30 episodes, which is basically most of the day lol, but as i said i was very addicted , in the summer i managed to see the 220 episodes from Naruto classic and 70 from Naruto shippuden , and still on that time i didnt know what was a manga :blink
as i didnt have any more episodes to see i started watching the episodes weekly , until i discovered that naruto manga existed and that is was more advanced comparing to the anime, since then its already been more than 2 years since that i started reading Naruto manga and Naruto is still the one that i most like!

About OP i like it alot but for me his anime is a total FAIL. also on the channel that aired Naruto , already sometime ago, i dont know exactly but it was already more than 2 years ago i think it also aired OP and i watched some , but it was so boring !!!! i can believe that anybody that saw the manga can like much of anime , cuz i think that it is alot more boring than the manga and ........ i dont know, when i watch the anime i think that it is a total crap comparing to the manga, i will give an example , a episode recent that was when coby started crying because of all the lives that were being loosed because of continuation of the battle on the manga we got perfectly that with only just a panel but what happened on the anime ????
- him crying during the all episode , it was so annoying , the manga in a panel managed to envolve so much more than with those 20 minutes of crying.

because of the anime being so ..... i only discovered OP few months ago, a bit before the beggining of this year.

in somethinks i can be very addicted, i am a bit of extrems, cuz or i like or i dont , if i do i generally can spend lot of time in it.
So much of the people will find impossible to do what i did but when i really like something i can be all day seeing it, and for example talking about OP i managed to read the all chapters in more and less 8 days ( on that time it was 609 i think), cuz i was really into the story, although i dont like much of certain thinks about it.

but i am suprised that somany adults like OP cuz sometimes it is so "childish" that it really irritates me , if it wasnt moments like ace death , the all situation of going merry funeral, i dont know if i would still like OP these much, those moments were really one of the greatest moments of OP.

Since i read OP i started reading others , which means that in more and less 2 months and half i managed to read the following mangas:

One Piece, Fairy Tail, Death Note, Beelzebub, Bakuman, Toriko, Giant Killing, Slam Dunk, Monster.

and this was because as i read Naruto and OP and liked both of them alot i decided to try to discover more about mangas :)

Geez
March 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
@Jorped I don't know HOW you do it, but almost every time you post you can't help but speak about Naruto :blink Please stop doing that. If you do read other mangas, you'll find out eventually that naruto is the childish one. In my opinion, this manga died a few years ago already.

Another reason for One Piece's popularity is that it received a lot of ex naruto readers, who grew up and became bored of it. They read it but are more excited about OP releases.

Zeltrax
March 13, 2011, 08:29 PM
I first watch one piece like 8years ago.Was switching tv channels then i saw OP.watch it for aw few episodes then the tv station stopped airing it.7years later.I overheard my classmates talking bout OP.So i decided to watch op from ep1.Up till now XD

Hahaha, you mean kids central right?
I remember vaguely that it was air then too.
But that's not how I got to it, I was just bored and found One Piece next to naruto and bleach so I was like.. "Okay,let's try this!" became
"MUST WATCH ONE PIECE":tem

Shiki_Dance
March 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
I think... and this is just my opinion, but there's a difference between a series being emotionally mature and it being serious.

If a bunch of characters die, and there are dark and dramatic scenes, that makes a series (or a story arc) serious, but that doesn't mean the characters are mature. Luffy might be an idiot hero, but when it comes to dealing with emotional trauma, he has shown that he can grieve and move on the way an emotionally mature person should, and yet still be shaped by, and grow from, the experience.

That's not to say that the alternative is bad storytelling. The titular character of Hamlet is built out of angst, and it's a masterpiece of literature. But for a long running series like One Piece, in my opinion, it needs to be taken in small doses or else you just get frustrated at the characters. I think a common writers trap is that angst = depth, or that a serious story is a "better" story. I couldn't disagree more. Can a great character have angst? Sure. Can a great story be serious? Of course. But those traits are not what makes them great.

I used to work video game retail. I can't even count the number of times some kid would claim a game to "suck" just because it didn't have an "M" rating. Seriously? The "M" is what makes it good? Wow, and here I thought Okami and Psychonauts and Zelda were great games. I guess I was wrong.

There are definitely child-like aspects to One Piece (laser beams!). Of course, this is what makes the series awesome and FUN, even if someone could interpret it as childish. The trick is that this childishness is balanced with situations that people are actually going to care about (slavery, revolution, racism, freedom).

And who can't love a story about adventure? The oldest stories in history are about just that.

Um, my post is getting long (again...) so I'll stop. But as far as explaining it as people who began reading when OP started getting older, I think that only accounts for part of it. That's no different than other long-running series. What makes OP different is in how it retains and even expands its older audience while other series start to lose them as their readers age.

$nipe
March 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
I've always thought of One Piece as a masterpiece of 'pop' art, and I think that's why it's so beloved by children and adults. Compared to other shonen heros (at least the ones that I know), Luffy is basically an antihero in the sense that his values aren't really 'good'. He's not a good person, he's just a very, VERY humane person: selfish and nonchalant. His goals lie within a realization of his self-conceited whim: being 'free', having people his beloved people near him and doing as he wishes.

Anyone would fall into loving a character that turns the world upside-down and actually shifts it in a right direction just by acting selfishly. By putting moral principles and centering them in self-satisfaction, it creates a hero that doesn't believe in doing good or a better world, yet it manages to do it. As unreal as a 10-minutes workout, non-fat yogurt and free beer, One Piece draws the proverbial "child" in transactional analysis out of every reader. As 'pop' as it can get. Now compare it to Naruto, where the reader is put into emotional distress by a character who doesn't know what to do to actually change the world. Of course, readers don't want the conflict or the difficult paradoxes: they want the easy way out. That's why they love One Piece.

I love it too.

RezzieThaRapper
March 20, 2011, 08:48 PM
Today I just turned 19... and I've been following (non-dubbed) One Piece since around the time the Thriller Bark arc got started...

My father's job used to take him to tokyo a lot... Even way back in 2002 he used to bring back Manga (we just called the backwards comics cause of how they were read) by the suitcase... So it's been in my household for at least that long...

I had tried to get into it many times before... (through the American version though, I was that one guy who liked the One Piece Rap, lolz) but I didn't REALLY get into it until YouTube... I saw a video about the differences in the Japanese version and the English Version... wow... that's all I will say on the dubbing matter

I didn't start at the beginning, I had "Seen (Not really "watched") it" already... I skipped the Alabasta & the Sky Island arc... And started right before the Usopp/Luffy Duel and read up until the Thriller Bark which I hated because of Brooke at first (I loved him by the time of Sabondy though)

After I read Water 7, I went back and read the Arlong Park Arc and then finally "Watched the anime" up until the end of the CP9 Saga... I must say the animated version of the CP9 saga is the best thing I think I will ever see...

Now how is this all appealing to me now that I'm an adult? The story really doesn't target an audience, if you read the Sabody arc, then you probably became a weekly follower... The story since then has been nothing but mind-numbingly good... EACH CHAPTER... EACH EPISODE... I can't think of any Chapter that would cause anyone to abruptly start following in the middle of all this... and now everyone is waiting for the strawhats to go all out in part 2... so Oda has "trapped" loyal readers with his story telling that remains unbiased to ANY age group... I know a 67 year old Grandmother who loves One Piece more than anybody... So maybe I should ask her to make an account, she'd answer this question nicely, lol

My bad for the eye sore post length...

OdaForPresident
March 25, 2011, 07:25 AM
I started reading One Piece when a friend handed me the first three volumes of One Piece to check out. This was also the first manga I ever read and the sole reason for my current manga addiction. I was hooked instantly. So OneManga to the rescue and I started catching up with the series. I caught up with the releases when the series was somewhere at Enies Lobby, so that must have been around 7-8 years ago? I think I was around 19 when I started reading, I just turned 27 and I'm still looking forward to the new release each week.

Of course I also have some volumes at home, though only 1-12. For sure I'll end up owning the whole series at some point. I do feel though that my interest in One Piece is slacking a little bit, don't really know why though. I don't think its the manga, so it must be me.

Ninja_Pirate
March 25, 2011, 01:40 PM
I first came to know about one piece in 2003... at evening cartoon network use to show dragon ball Z in toonami and suddenly they started showing one piece.. the first time i saw luffy in action and devil fruit concept i fell in love with it and started downloading all animes i possibly cud put my hands on.. once got to the lastest only i start reading manga..

what i love in one piece is that how it has grown in all this years.. it started with so less characters and just with a concept of a hidden treasure but suddenly it involves so many mysterious people.. so many things abt one piece.. the suspense the adventure.. the feeling of ..what next.. waiting for SHs to kick someones ass for being wrong.. the sense of justice.. and definition of freedom.. and so much.. i could go on for ever..

Franckie
March 26, 2011, 09:10 AM
The survey is not surprising because it follows how mangas tend to sale. Generally the people who fill out SJ's survey cards where series are ranked weekly generally are mid-teens and younger. The people who buy volumes and such, however, generally are late-teens and older.

I can't exactly recall what got me into One Piece. I have been following the series for a good number of years already. I think it was around the time when 4Kids began airing the episodes. I watched the show but didn't like it, which contrasted some of the reviews I've read about the manga. I took a look at the manga and the rest they say is history.

The one thing I can say about One Piece is that the series is good; the quality is generally top-notch. What I enjoy most about One Piece is Oda's comprehensive storytelling; the same can't be said for the majority of manga out there. The variety of characters and their development, the epic arcs and fights, the wacky designs and the sheer immensity and depth of the One Piece world is second to none. Other series such as Bleach and Naruto need years to accomplish what One Piece does in a single arc.

Not to say that One Piece is flawless though. To this day I still have trouble dealing with Oda's art. Nonetheless, the art is far superior than what I see in other series such as Hunter x Hunter and Air Master.

Anduren
March 30, 2011, 06:45 AM
How I got into One Piece: (its kinda long)

My 1st exposure to One Piece was halfway into the english dubbed episode where Sanji saves Luffy from drowning after he beats Don Kreig. I just happened to walk by the room while my sister was watching it (shes a big anime fan). Both me and my sister were in our 20s at the time, so I guess we count as adults. :amuse The artwork wasn't all that appealing but after seeing all the commotion I had a lot of questions about what was going on.

My conversation with my sis went like this:

Me: What happened?
Sis: He beat the bad guy.
Me: Why'd he fall in the water? Where are they?
Sis: They're on a ship. The bad guy trapped him in a net before he was beaten.
Me: Why doesn't he get free?
Sis: He cant swim.
Me: Why?
Sis: He ate a Cursed Fruit.
Me: Whats that?
Sis: It's a long story. :-_-
Me: Whats the show?
Sis: One Piece
Me: Whats that?
Sis: Watch the intro. :mad

Sooo....... I watched the intro to the show and that was about all it took. "The Great Age of Pirates" sounded really catchy, and to top it off, it reawakened the kid in me that used to bury treasures in my backyard complete with protection curses and digging all over looking for old coins. On top of that, the intro left me with a lot of questions, along with what little I saw of the scenes I did: What exactly is "One Piece"? What's a Cursed Fruit?
I have yet to find the answers to these questions which is what keeps me hooked on the story, and it seems as time goes on only more questions get added onto the list: What happened in the Void Century? Why are Poneglyphs so important?

I think that the story of One Piece is so in depth, its like a tree with roots spreading all over far away from where it started. It is mystery piled on top of mystery and it gives its readers a sense of adventure that they normally lose as they grow old and out of being kids. In today's world everything from the north pole to the south pole has been discovered, so that sense of adventure and discovery is lost on most adults. One Piece provides its readers with a whole new world to explore from scratch complete with its own world map and a mysterious history that is taboo to learn. On top of this is its writer's mastery of appealing to the most basic human nature to seek freedom above all things. I've always been one to like movies, games, etc. based on content as opposed to graphics.... so it's my solemn belief that as far as storytelling goes, there isn't any out there that can match One Piece in its epicness.

itoken1
March 31, 2011, 10:52 AM
many adults like One Piece, yes. it is good popular in japan. almost a national treasure - real one piece of us hehe
but serious. one piece is now dozen years age. I 13 when it started - not adult. But now ( =) ). so no forget time since start.
more wonder even girls like!!! :D sooo good for Otaku like me. should start thread about

Tamotsu
April 01, 2011, 02:32 AM
you say true itoken. you look liek a killer. i read one peace when i was 4 year old. but i don't liek it. it has no girls with big....but i read it again

Kotaku
April 01, 2011, 02:36 AM
No, I first reading One Piece when I 27 year old. That time I finally get university after ronin very long. So I very happy and feel like I go adventure with the Mugiwara at same time I go univercity adventure. Now I feel I grow with Mugiwara.

I like Nami because she is girl with big... Why you not like Nami and Robin, Tamotsu-san?

ZERO PHOENIX
April 04, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'll bite. I got into One Piece sometime around 1999 or 2000. Seems like a long time ago. I've seen One Piece bounce from KidsWB to the Cartoon Network to being off the air and all over the place. I got into it because I liked the colorful artwork, and I liked how the themes of bonds and friendship were interesting, profound, without being lame. It also helps that Monkey D. Luffy was a beast.

It was a simpler time when I got into it and I still had some element of a healthy childhood so One Piece gives me a nauseating sense of nostalgia every time I pick it up but that's part of why I like it. The world is imaginative, the characters are likeable, and Oda's endless imagination makes me feel like a kid again.

tonyyao82
April 04, 2011, 04:49 PM
Great stuff, everyone!

I do think that One Piece came out during a time where Japan was trying to find itself since the country was going through some rough times (post-recession in the mid-90s'). Young people (around 1997) didn't know what to expect in the future and One Piece got those people to fight for what they want to believe. That's why it has a lot of sentimental value among adults.

Poneglyph420
April 07, 2011, 12:52 AM
Well I'm almost 32, and have been into OP for about 4 years now... I think.
The story is moving and has depth and value of character.. So it's easy to see why OP is so universally accepted.
I know for me as the crew has progressed, so has my interest and addiction...

Indeed 97 was a tough year for markets and finance.. but not fearful or dreadful...
Especially for the youth of Japan. However Oda has captured many deep parallels with our own world and even our own nature as people.. For those reasons, as well as OP's mass proliferation of various media throughout Japan and worldwide...

It's really a manga beyond comparison.. IMHO.

Link: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/10/one-piece-readers-90-adults/

tonyyao82
April 07, 2011, 10:49 AM
Ahhh, yes, the link from Sankaku. That was the site with graph pictures. :P

It truly is a manga beyond comparison.

thatwouldbeawesome
June 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
I am 26 and I know one piece is great!

shionoro
July 07, 2011, 03:08 AM
I discovered one piece when i was 11 years old on rtl2 (like some people here) ans grew to love it at first sight. I Watched the anime until the rainbow mist filler (and to be honest, i actually liked the filler episodes back then as a kid) and then there were just reruns and no new episodes.

At that time i discovered mangas for me and bought one Piece Mangas to the latest Volume available in germany, always being angry about the slow translation. BAck then, it went up to the middle of enies Lobby arc.
I also Read Naruto back then and some other stuff i would never read today, like Shaman King and some time later, being 16-18 or so, i began thinking: you are too old for that stuff, you should grow up.

I stopped buying volumes back then and just finished deathnote and wanted to stop after it because i began thinking: it's all the same, and also didn't not want to be a kid anymore, since i kinda felt strange being the only one in my environment who liked and read mangas.

So for a time, i totally stopped reading Manga judged one piece as one of those series you like as a kid, but eventually will notice how ridicoulus and predictable it is once you grow up.
Out of curiosity, i serached for online mangas, because there was a manga i always wanted to finish , Anne Freaks, and just wanted to read the 2 volumes i could not buy in germany.
I ended up reading some of the other mangas i liked before, starting with naruto.
I totally grew sick of it and felt confirmed in my view that you stop liking that stuff when you get older, because, seriously, i could not relate to all the characters anymore (no naruto flame intended, just my opinion). As for me, the plot portrayed everything i wanted out of my life, the characters were those young 'i can do everything when i just try hard enough' guys. I Always liked the side characters, but NAruto wasn't my hero anymore.
I guessed with OP it'd be the same, but i was proven wrong.
I was pretty shocked: OMG it's STILL awesome!
This was the day i got into reading manga again, exspecially reading them online.

I think one piece stands out compared to other shonens because unlike (and again i will take naruto) Naruto, the characters are not behaving like teenies, but like adults. I know they act more stupidly and are not really older, but for example, take gaare or sasuke: As kids, they had something bad happening to them, and then......they went super rampage wanting to killl everyone bla i am not loved by anyone.

They are teens who need someone who stops them, which is, in this case, naruto (and probably, in sasukes case, will be naruto, too).

In One piece you also have many characters with sad pasts, but all those characters, despite still feeling the pain', dealt with their past and kept going and did not go crazy. There is no selfish 'my life is so sad i go emo and hate the world'.
They all have a goal they want to archieve.

Very early, we have shanks in the story, a mentor figure for Luffy, who sets the standard for moral in one piece. It's not stupid fighting that satisfies omnipotence fantasies from teenagers like DBZ, there are things the character fight FOR and there's stuff not worth starting needless battles over it. Like Shanks in the Bar, like Luffy and zorro in Jaya.

In short, one piece throws all the teeny topics over board. No romance issues, no super power godlike skills just for the heck of it, but a good portion of humour which shows that the manga does not take tiself too serious at times, while other works tend to try to be 'sooo serious' all the time.

Uriel
July 07, 2011, 12:01 PM
I always says that One Piece doesn't have adult characters, but rather adult situation and context with childish characters that bring those to complete unexpected reactions.

Welcome to the OP forum, shionoro ;)

shionoro
July 08, 2011, 05:09 PM
Oh, thank you, i always wanted to register here. I love to brag about manga :p

Guess you are right with what you said.
Also, i think One Piece is one of the few shonens that evolved with it's readers.

If i would start reading OP now, i guess i would not like the first arcs because they clearly follow the shonen formula and, except for the great humour ofc, are not that special.
Except for 'friendship and loyality is important', there is not much content that i can grasp out of it, and this is a very common shonen theme (not that it's bad, tho.

But later on, when the readers grew up too, the manga began dealing with much darker topics.
I would NEVER ever have exspected Ace to die, for example, and he died BECAUSE he was naive and went after BB though whitebird told him not to.
He died because he acted like a shonen hero.

And while in most other shonens the 'all out war' of the marines vs WB had been showed in every aspect, with huge fights, deaths, heroes and whatnot and a giant climax in the end, Oda depicted war as something ugly and did not abuse the oppurtunities he had there to depict war with awesome fights and 'honourable soldiers'.

And in the End, Shanks came up and stopped the war when there could have been a Blackbeard vs Sengoku climax. The real heroes of this war were Whitebeard for sacrificing to make his crew escape and shanks for stopping the war. Oh, and Corby of course.

Those topics began showing up more and more the further you go in the manga, and that is something great because you can relate to the characters when they have the same maturing processes you have.

One Piece clearly is a shonen, but it does not go with the 'everything goes as long as it's cool' formula, and this is great and appeals to older readers who are bored of godlike characters.

That's another big plus for one piece imo: there are NO godlike characters who are just insanely imba.
I mean, you have the logias, you have Enel, but the greatest heroes are quite hurtable, even whitebeard. They are beasts sometimes, but it's not like they are untouchable.

In other works, you have 'i own you without sweating with my new super technique'.
It's boring and annoying for adults to read a work in which some teeny without any experience and any wisdom gets some super power, kills every baddy and everything is well again until an even more godlike villain appears'

That never happens in OP. Every character trained for his might, and those who don't have a special tactic which can be beaten if the opponent is smart enough.
And i think it appeals to adults because of this. When you grow up, you know your limits. You know what you can do, and what you can#t do. You can push your limits, ofc , which also happens in OP, but you have to focus on your strength then. You won't learn any superpower by just training it from some secret master because you are the 1/1000 talented bloodline.
Also, not every strong character is obsolete 2 arcs later because the mainhero is 'so incredibly talented' so that every strong older character who has shitloads of abttle experience has to resort to him to fight his battles.

It's cool to see a character using his skills to find new ways to attack. He does not get a random powerup, but used the abilities he had to develope his power, of course, by training it or tinking about it, or just an idea or experience.
And still, those new aility is no autowin, but just a tool to win.

That's another thing than getting 1000 times kayoken and be invincible or a superblade.

Also, most of the real heroes in one piece are those who don't fight or don't fight needlessly.
We have Otohime, one of the best examples, we have shanks, dr hiluluk, we got whitebeard, who just wanted a family and not might, and so on.

we have strong mature characters, moralically. Actually, they are idols for the older audience, while in other works, there are usually, if any, only idols for the younger readers.
That's how adults should behave, they should not let teens fight their battles but rather watch over them and avoid them having to resort to violence if there are other ways