PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Gantz - Plot Holes

Monsterguy
March 05, 2011, 07:19 AM
In Osaka mission Katou killed at least 2 monsters, first was a regular monster and second was a 100 points monster!!!

Here is the link:
http://read.mangashare.com/Gantz/chapter-248/page013.html

So why did he get only 100 points, becouse as far as I know even a weak monster is worth at least 1 point ???

Devil Advocate
March 05, 2011, 07:43 AM
In Osaka mission Katou killed at least 3 monsters. One weak and one strong, with Y Gun, and the boss with H gun.

It's commonly accepted that there is a maximum score for any single mission, 100 points for gantzer. It looks like that every point above this limit is wasted.

GAT-X252
March 05, 2011, 09:19 AM
According to Hiroya Oku himself, it's possible to surpass that amount.

http://twitter.com/studiooku/status/39174521999212544

Why he only got "100 points", well he says he wrote that on the screen so it could be easily understood that he reached that amount...

http://twitter.com/studiooku/status/39193892750368768

moistgorilla
March 05, 2011, 05:17 PM
The inconsistencies in this manga are numerous. Just believe whatever makes the story better for you and hope Oku goes that way.

Nishi
March 05, 2011, 05:27 PM
Nishi has a huge plothole.

I wonder why in the early story, chapter 1~100(when he dies, basically), he was kind of a pussy, calling his mom when he was dying.
Later in the story when he got resurrected, the character completely changed to a ''not caring'' character, he didnt seem to care anymore about life and death.

Who else agrees?

moistgorilla
March 05, 2011, 07:03 PM
^
I wouldn't say he doesn't care about life/death but he does seem to be much more of a sociopath. Nishi is portrayed as pathetic at some points and as a badass at other points. Why would Oku make Nishi say when he was crying "Mom just a 100 more points and I would have been free!". When a character like Nishi wouldn't leave Gantz even if he got 1000 points. Especially when he knows about katastrophe. It is really mind boggling.

Crisis.
March 05, 2011, 07:10 PM
@nishi

nishi doesn't have a plot hole.

in the early chapters he didnt care about anyone but hes own life. he was even willing to letting them die, when he could had done something about it. the early nishi was twice as cruel, not caring,and arrogant as the latest nishi. the dude even killed a ganzter right before a mission not to mention it was the early nishi that admitted to getting a boner out of looking at dead animals and getting pleasure out of watching other gantzter getting killed.

but... he learned the hard way that being so arrogant and cruel to the other ganzter wasn't the smartest move , because non of them will be willing to help him in return.

if anything the revived nishi is pussier

he isnt as arrogant,cruel, straightforward, and even willing to help another gantzter indirectly, he learned hes lesson.

Charlie
March 05, 2011, 07:14 PM
According to Hiroya Oku himself, it's possible to surpass that amount.

http://twitter.com/studiooku/status/39174521999212544

Why he only got "100 points", well he says he wrote that on the screen so it could be easily understood that he reached that amount...

http://twitter.com/studiooku/status/39193892750368768

So lets say that that someone with 50 points already kills a hunter pointer.

The score would show 100 points for the current kill right?

Total would be 150... chose from the 100 point menu etc...

--------

Now if the same guy with the same 50 points at the start kills two, one hundred point bosses. The screen will / could show he earned 200 points in the mission at the scoring?
Well unless I misunderstood the tweet.

The total being 250, chose from the 100 point menu...?

Or will it still show the gantzer achieved the 100 points on the screen display and add the other hundred to the total points?

Monsterguy
March 06, 2011, 07:10 AM
Where is the new weapon Izumi has wished for ???

I presume that motor bikes and the swords in extra room are always a given!
That is becouse Oka had a special motor bike* for strong suit somewhere in the middle of the fight.

*special motor bike - with 2 rings where one is vertical and the other is horizontal

I think that H-gun is the first weapon you get, second might be the special motor bike, third is the strong suit (3 meters high) and the last is the gorila suit (10 meters high) as far as I understood from Oka mission.

If I was wrong somewhere in the middle please correct me!!!

digitaldude
March 06, 2011, 07:16 AM
Izumi died before he could get the weapon, I assume he would have gotten an H-gun if he survived the vampires.

Damura
March 06, 2011, 07:59 AM
@Monsterguy: It looks as though the g-suit may be made up of several parts (arms are detachable). It may take several 'weapon' rewards to assemble the entire thing.

Charlie
March 06, 2011, 12:28 PM
Where is the new weapon Izumi has wished for ???

I presume that motor bikes and the swords in extra room are always a given!
That is becouse Oka had a special motor bike* for strong suit somewhere in the middle of the fight.

*special motor bike - with 2 rings where one is vertical and the other is horizontal

I think that H-gun is the first weapon you get, second might be the special motor bike, third is the strong suit (3 meters high) and the last is the gorila suit (10 meters high) as far as I understood from Oka mission.

If I was wrong somewhere in the middle please correct me!!!

Izumi died before he could get the weapon, I assume he would have gotten an H-gun if he survived the vampires.

Although we've been calling it the H gun.
The weapon is officially called the Z gun.

About Izumis weapon. Its a shame he asked to have it at the start of the next mission. I mean he would probably have managed to live if he used it against the vamps.

Crisis.
March 06, 2011, 12:59 PM

About Izumis weapon. Its a shame he asked to have it at the start of the next mission. I mean he would probably have managed to live if he used it against the vamps.

izumi would had over kill the vamps if he had the gun. it wouldn't have even been an interesting fight.

its really called the Z gun? i tho oku was naming them by the shape they make/ or are D:. i still rather call it the H gun, it just sounds right.

GAT-X252
March 06, 2011, 05:22 PM
For that matter, it looks more like "A" to me.

Anyway, i do agree with the people here, the weapon Izumi asked for was probably the Z Gun.

The Saddists who cleared once and Nishi only recieved that weapon.

El Samurai Guapo
March 07, 2011, 02:36 PM

Well he would have managed to live regardless if he hadn't protected his girlfriend and gotten slashed across the back. IMO Izumi would have beaten Host Samurai if they had actually fought.

Crisis.
March 07, 2011, 03:17 PM
yeah izumi was over power.

anyway heres a real plot hole or w.e

no one is able to see the fake reika having sex
( look at all dose people around her)
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/gantz-chapter-335.html?ch=Volume+17&page=138

but when she was reveal for being a fake everyone started noticing her
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/gantz-chapter-335.html?ch=Volume+17&page=148

Monsterguy
March 07, 2011, 05:21 PM

I think that this tells you everything (a bubble in the middle of first row):
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/gantz-chapter-335.html?ch=Volume+17&page=136

I think that the monster can be visible or invisible to other people (as he wants).

Crisis.
March 07, 2011, 05:33 PM
if he could go invisible he would had used it when running/fighting but he didn't all he can do is shapshift

Charlie
March 07, 2011, 07:41 PM

Was this before after the gantz stop allowing people to be invisible during missions?

because earlier inba says...
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/gantz-chapter-335.html?ch=Volume+17&page=136

OT: I got to say Reika shows how much of a bad ass she is in this chapter.
[hr]
It seems the people outside could see the aliens going back further from the chapter in that link above. So yeah I cant give a good reason as to why the people inside the building couldn't see the fake Reika and Inba having sex..

Crisis.
March 07, 2011, 07:50 PM
theres another plot mistake in that mission.

izumis suit breaks even tho he never got hit by the oni boss and the last time they showed him( which he was in 5+ panels) before joining up with kei to finish the boss off, hes suit was still working. im guessing he just decided to change it a bit to make it more intense.

GAT-X252
March 07, 2011, 08:00 PM
We don't know if he got hit by the Oni Boss or not, we only saw the fight until Izumi started to get desperate...maybe they fought a little while off screen or not.

Anyway, maybe one of those lightning bolts hurt him. Suzuki got hit by one and somehow survived.

Crisis.
March 07, 2011, 08:29 PM
izumi getting hit off screen? i doubt it, thats like kei surviving after being cut in half, and not beeing shown .

izumi looked more exhausted than anything else. for some reason (vamp's warning?) the oni boss was going all out on izumi alone, using hes speed boost and lighting,.

Forever Rain
March 07, 2011, 11:01 PM
Well from what I recall I'm pretty sure the whole battle with Izumi and the Oni Boss was offscreen. They started fighting and but then later it skipped to the team and Izumi running away and then just collasping for some reason. Everyone was "damn he got beat!?" so I'm guessing something happen and he just didn't get tired from running away. But this is just off of memory, I'll check over the chapter again later.

GAT-X252
March 07, 2011, 11:35 PM
izumi getting hit off screen? i doubt it, thats like kei surviving after being cut in half, and not beeing shown .

izumi looked more exhausted than anything else. for some reason (vamp's warning?) the oni boss was going all out on izumi alone, using hes speed boost and lighting,.

Kei's death was confirmed in the same chapter with a big "Kei Kurono is death", is a completely different subject.

The alien could have easily punched him, he is faster, more agile and with more stamina than Izumi. Those Gantz boots can't make you move or run at the speed the Oni alien was..it was crazy.

He could have been punched...but it doesn't matter really, he could barely dodge the lightning bolts and one of them falling right next to you causes an explosion enough to harm the suit.

Shion Izumi
March 08, 2011, 12:35 PM
Suits also give out if you overuse its power. At least I think this was true in the earlier missions. I think Katou's suit gave out in mission two when he was fighting the Tanaka robot. I don't recall Katou receiving any damage in that mission.

CherryBoy
March 08, 2011, 06:40 PM
Kei's death was confirmed in the same chapter with a big "Kei Kurono is death", is a completely different subject.

The alien could have easily punched him, he is faster, more agile and with more stamina than Izumi. Those Gantz boots can't make you move or run at the speed the Oni alien was..it was crazy.

He could have been punched...but it doesn't matter really, he could barely dodge the lightning bolts and one of them falling right next to you causes an explosion enough to harm the suit.

yeah it was kinda stupid though, you can't dodge lightning to fast anyway, but thats what i like about manga xD . i hate that oni boss went easy on them and lost he probably could of kept doing the lighting trick, he didn't even look exhausted, but meh can't kill off the main characters in one mission. luck won them that match.

Dream Focus
March 11, 2011, 11:48 PM
I compiled a list awhile back of how many points each person got at each mission, and their total.

http://gantz.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Gantz_Hunters_at_each_mission

Many times someone has gotten more than a hundred in a single mission.

So the thing with Kato is a mistake.

GAT-X252
March 12, 2011, 12:00 AM
Dude, you are wrong in many scores you have there...i recomend you to read the scores of the Countrybumpkin and Ring missions again.

Anyway, if it wasn't that Hiroya Oku himself declarated that is possible then my theory would be still likely because no one has ever got more than one hundred points in one mission (i'm not talking about the total).

Dream Focus
March 12, 2011, 02:21 AM
Dude, you are wrong in many scores you have there...i recomend you to read the scores of the Countrybumpkin and Ring missions again.

Anyway, if it wasn't that Hiroya Oku himself declarated that is possible then my theory would be still likely because no one has ever got more than one hundred points in one mission (i'm not talking about the total).

Chapter 217 Reika gets 102 points. She has zero points in the previous mission. Chapter 218 Kaze has 115 points total, and he only had 5 in the last mission.

Devil Advocate
March 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
Chapter 217 Reika gets 102 points. She has zero points in the previous mission. Chapter 218 Kaze has 115 points total, and he only had 5 in the last mission.

Sorry, but this is TOTALLY wrong. You forgot about Ring Alien scores.
If you read carefully the Ring Alien mission, is showed that Reika and Kaze each eliminate ONE ring alien. There are a total of 8 ring aliens, but at the end only the scores of Sakata, Suzuki, Izumi and Kurono are showed. The others are off-screen.

Ring alien's value is 10 point. Total Reika 10 points. Total Kaze 15 points. So Reika gains other 92 points in Oni Alien mission, total 102, and Kaze exactly 100 points, for a total of 115. Eventually, Reika gains 0 points in Osaka (total 2) and 99 points in Rome mission.

Nobody is never showed with more of 100 points gained in a single mission. Strangely, Kaze gained exactly 100 points in Oni missions. I've always thought that this is similar to Katou's 100 points scored during Osaka.

I compiled a list awhile back of how many points each person got at each mission, and their total.

http://gantz.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Gantz_Hunters_at_each_mission

Many times someone has gotten more than a hundred in a single mission.

So the thing with Kato is a mistake.
Dream Focus, this list is wrong, it must be corrected riporting correctly the Ring Alien score. You wrote correctly the scores of Kurono, Izumi, Suzuki and Sakata, but this for a total score of 5 aliens. There remain three. One for Kaze, one for Reika, and the last one probably for Sakurai, all the other members confirm to have no gained any point.

Sorry for bad english.

Dream Focus
March 12, 2011, 04:07 PM
Chapter 174 is where the scoring for the Ring mission takes place.

You are right. It doesn't show the scores of everyone.

I'll updated my list.

If there are 8 enemies, who else made a kill?

Kurono kills 2, with Izumi, Suzuki, Sakata, Reika, and Kaze killing 1.

You said "probably Sakurai". I see him working with the other psychic. No way to tell if he went and killed another one on his own. At the start someone is shown aiming their gun when they decided to split up. Hmm... no way to tell I suppose.

Devil Advocate
March 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
Chapter 174 is where the scoring for the Ring mission takes place.
If there are 8 enemies, who else made a kill?

Kurono kills 2, with Izumi, Suzuki, Sakata, Reika, and Kaze killing 1.

You said "probably Sakurai". I see him working with the other psychic. No way to tell if he went and killed another one on his own. At the start someone is shown aiming their gun when they decided to split up. Hmm... no way to tell I suppose.

I checked into the manga. It's clearly shown that Reika and Kaze kills 1 alien, but not Sakurai. He seems to fight only a ring alien, alongside Sakata. Another fight involved with Sakurai is not showed.

We can exclude all the rapists survived at the mission (they admit to have no points), the girl (too much weak), the panda (again at zero in next mission).

The remaining alien could be killed by Sakurai, by the other rapist into stealth mode (who die for Tae's picture), or... Inaba.
Inaba is not showed in any moment of the mission, and he does not seem really agitated during this.

Ring alien score is 10. Inaba, during Oni alien scores, is showed with 10 points. Inaba, during this mission, affirm to have not killed any single alien. Why Inaba has gained these points? As special prize?

It seems, according to Gantz's scores, that Inaba get these points after Oni mission, but... it could be another error?
I think that Inaba's 10 points is a big plot hole!

Dream Focus, for your list I think is better to correct Kaze and Reika points... But for the last alien i'm not sure.... It can't be demonstrated...

Juntakyle
March 14, 2011, 06:39 PM
I checked into the manga. It's clearly shown that Reika and Kaze kills 1 alien, but not Sakurai. He seems to fight only a ring alien, alongside Sakata. Another fight involved with Sakurai is not showed.

We can exclude all the rapists survived at the mission (they admit to have no points), the girl (too much weak), the panda (again at zero in next mission).

The remaining alien could be killed by Sakurai, by the other rapist into stealth mode (who die for Tae's picture), or... Inaba.
Inaba is not showed in any moment of the mission, and he does not seem really agitated during this.

Ring alien score is 10. Inaba, during Oni alien scores, is showed with 10 points. Inaba, during this mission, affirm to have not killed any single alien. Why Inaba has gained these points? As special prize?
It seems, according to Gantz's scores, that Inaba get these points after Oni mission, but... it could be another error?
I think that Inaba's 10 points is a big plot hole!

Dream Focus, for your list I think is better to correct Kaze and Reika points... But for the last alien i'm not sure.... It can't be demonstrated...

I always assumed it was for fucking the dude that can change forms...