PDA

View Full Version : Discussion What do you think was going to be discussed at Great Pirate Meeting?

WickedNeko
March 08, 2011, 02:44 PM
Pretty old topic, I know. But back in Alabaster arc, when Ace was first introduced, he told Luffy that there was going to be a Great Pirate Meeting in the near future. Obviously this won't happen now, with one of the Yonkou dead, but what do you suppose was going to be discussed among the pirates of the world? True nature of One Piece? Whether to join Dragon in rebelling / fighting against the World Government? Creating a single governing body to oversee the pirates in a quasi-guild system?

happy GIN smily
March 08, 2011, 02:57 PM
nice topic

could you tell which chapter it was mentioned?

Anduren
March 08, 2011, 03:07 PM
I think WickedNeko is referring to "Pirates' Summit" from Chapter 159, page 15. In this case, the word "summit" is used to mean peak or highest point (reaching the top as the final contenders for pirate king) as opposed to "summit" as in a meeting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :eyeroll

Aikidoka
March 08, 2011, 03:44 PM
I think WickedNeko is referring to "Pirates' Summit" from Chapter 159, page 15. In this case, the word "summit" is used to mean peak or highest point (reaching the top as the final contenders for pirate king) as opposed to "summit" as in a meeting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :eyeroll
I've never seen proof but the general consensus is that summit = "top" rather than "meeting". Maybe someone could provide a translation?

KuwabaraTheMan
March 08, 2011, 05:08 PM
There was never going to be such a thing. Ace was telling Luffy that the next time they met, they would be at the top. I thought this whole 'pirate summit' idea had long since been squashed.

Dark God Zeus
March 08, 2011, 05:14 PM
This isn't Pirates of the Caribbean.

ibi
March 08, 2011, 05:19 PM
i have also heard that he was refering to raftel

Naruffy
March 08, 2011, 06:55 PM
I thought that was a translation error. The idea of a Pirate meeting sounds ridiculous to me anyways, they're pirates, not an organization, why would they meet. I took it as Ace's way of saying "Next time we meet, it'll be in the New World" similar to what Coby said to Luffy in the Post-Enies Lobby Arc.

bittman
March 08, 2011, 11:05 PM
It's a common misconception and probably poor use of a word which has a second meaning which works in the context.

Ace was referring to the fact that he and Luffy would meet again when they were both successful pirates of world renown which was their sibling dream. To be near (or at) "the top" of the other pirates vying for supremecy as the Pirate King.

Uriel
March 09, 2011, 12:22 AM
Anyway, considering what happened in the war I would say that the line was fulfilled. :D