PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Cheese, love or hate

k-dom
April 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
Blai current sig made me thing a thread about cheese is missing.

So what is your relation with cheese ? Do you like it or can not approach it in a range of 5 meter ?

As you may know France is THE country for cheese
http://multimedia.fnac.com/multimedia/images_produits/ZoomPE/6/1/4/9782858158416.jpg

The number of types in France is simply incomputable. They are rond, square, heart shaped ; soft, hard, liquid ; with cow milk, goat milk, sheep milk...
What I think is difficult for people who are not use with cheese, is that French ones tend to be very smelly. And I mean really very smelly. Even a camembert (I guess the most famous French cheese) can achieve bacteriological level when left too much time in the fridge. However a cheese lover will not be afraid of the smell and may say the smeller, the better.
However not all French like cheese, my sister in law for example can only eat melted rasped emmental.

So how is it in your country ? Do you eat quite a lot ? What type of cheese ? And whatever you can said about that godly food

kkck
April 04, 2011, 11:05 PM
I personally love cheese, all of it. I have yet to try a cheese I did not like. Not sure if there is a particular type of cheese which would be popular in my country. I suspect one but I don't know the name in english lol.

M3J
April 05, 2011, 12:22 AM
I love cheese oh so much, although American cheese bores me. Gotta try more cheese though.

Cheese is awesome.

kkck
April 05, 2011, 01:36 AM
Dunno why but in USA food in general leans toward the bland side in terms of taste. It's like people there avoid flavor lol. I remember when I had decided to stop eating the terrible, terrible food and my school's cafeteria and just cook terrible food myself(its not terrible but obviously I am not a chef lol). Beer is particularly watery in USA...

Anyways, what do you mean by american cheese? Are you talking about that cheddar cheese thing or cheese in USA in general? Even though I have never gotten the impression the average joe particularly enjoys cheese in USA (other than american cheese or cheez whiz) it is still very easy easy to find reasonably large selections in just about any supermarket.

I do recall something fun from my childhood involving cheese. My dad used to get a baguette bread, cut in in slices and put slices of bree cheese on top. Then he would use a blowtorch (not sure if that is the right word but you get the idea) to toast the bread (so to speak lol) and meld the cheese. Then we woud add olive oil and eat it. It was fun, unnecessarily destructive in a few ways and delicious. I think my dad saw that in a cooking channel. He sometimes cooks as a hobby but he kinda experiments with stuff which ends end looking like he is playing with food and I kind picked the habit. Food is fun lol.

k-dom
April 05, 2011, 01:51 PM
Dunno why but in USA food in general leans toward the bland side in terms of taste. It's like people there avoid flavor lol. I remember when I had decided to stop eating the terrible, terrible food and my school's cafeteria and just cook terrible food myself(its not terrible but obviously I am not a chef lol). Beer is particularly watery in USA...

It reminds me when I visited the Coors brasserie in colorado with a friend. At the end you have the traditional tasting. I tasted the standard one, and it was so watery I couldn't imagine the taste of the light version everyone seems to be so proud of. And I don't talk about the coffee :-) Hopefully we don't go there for food.

I do recall something fun from my childhood involving cheese. My dad used to get a baguette bread, cut in in slices and put slices of bree cheese on top. Then he would use a blowtorch (not sure if that is the right word but you get the idea) to toast the bread (so to speak lol) and meld the cheese. Then we woud add olive oil and eat it. It was fun, unnecessarily destructive in a few ways and delicious. I think my dad saw that in a cooking channel. He sometimes cooks as a hobby but he kinda experiments with stuff which ends end looking like he is playing with food and I kind picked the habit. Food is fun lol.

Correct spelling is brie :-). But what your father may have been inspired with is a Barbecue camembert which is really an awesome way to eat it.

M3J
April 07, 2011, 01:48 AM
Anyways, what do you mean by american cheese? Are you talking about that cheddar cheese thing or cheese in USA in general? Even though I have never gotten the impression the average joe particularly enjoys cheese in USA (other than american cheese or cheez whiz) it is still very easy easy to find reasonably large selections in just about any supermarket.

Dunno, but it comes in white and yellow. You put it on sandwiches and stuff.

Queenofmuffins
April 07, 2011, 10:13 AM
I always felt kinda disgusted by the whole 'canned cheese' thing. Thank god they don't have it in Aus yet... but they do have 'cheese spread' which looks kinda suspicious. ;A;

On a side note- I hate camembert. My family freakin' LOVES it though.

k-dom
April 07, 2011, 02:10 PM
Dunno, but it comes in white and yellow. You put it on sandwiches and stuff.

Then I think it's cheddar.
[hr]

I always felt kinda disgusted by the whole 'canned cheese' thing. Thank god they don't have it in Aus yet... but they do have 'cheese spread' which looks kinda suspicious. ;A;

On a side note- I hate camembert. My family freakin' LOVES it though.

How can a cheese be in can you barbarian aussies :-))
When i think about it my 6 month in australia where very long months without cheese and baguette. That may be the hardest for a French

Queenofmuffins
April 09, 2011, 11:56 PM
<hr noshade size="1">

How can a cheese be in can you barbarian aussies :-))
When i think about it my 6 month in australia where very long months without cheese and baguette. That may be the hardest for a French

Like this, you misguided Frenchman:
http://americangoulash.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/spray-cheese1.jpg

They also have this too, apparently:
http://www.asianminimart.com/images/Kraft_Process_Cheese.jpg

Welcome to America, land of the spray-cheese. Australia doesn't seem so bad anymore, does it? :tem

The Philippines were also pretty bad. They have this:
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2639/lif19.jpg

The worst that Australia has is this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sapjb5QRaDk/S8Jue-d6ecI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/w0Pce1Frf90/s1600/Products02846_CheesLG.jpg

Yes. That is vegemite and cheese mixed together. -____-

M3J
April 10, 2011, 12:05 AM
<hr noshade size="1">

Doesn't taste like cheddar, the way I know it anyway. <_<

The worst that Australia has is this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sapjb5QRaDk/S8Jue-d6ecI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/w0Pce1Frf90/s1600/Products02846_CheesLG.jpg

Yes. That is vegemite and cheese mixed together. -____-

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I can't even comprehend it! D:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU AUSSIES?!

Seriously, vegemite and cheese? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

Cheese is a heavenly thing. You do not mix it just because you feel like it! :pwnge

k-dom
April 10, 2011, 12:12 AM
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

And vegemite is already plenty awful like that. No need to add it to something else. But seriously I don't think we can call this things cheese. Is there milk in the ingredients ?

Queenofmuffins
April 10, 2011, 12:18 AM
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

And vegemite is already plenty awful like that. No need to add it to something else. But seriously I don't think we can call this things cheese. Is there milk in the ingredients ?

Hey! Vegemite is yummy! ^^

No idea. I'm guessing it's cheese spread with vegemite flavouring, or something. Not actual cheese.
I've never eaten it. I mean, when I was growing up I knew some of my classmates made cheese-and-vegemite sandwhiches but I always thought that was disgusting so I've never tried it. It's not that popular here. -_-

But it's not that different from Peanut butter and jam and other weird mixes other countries have.

Doesn't taste like cheddar, the way I know it anyway. <_<

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I can't even comprehend it! D:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU AUSSIES?!

Seriously, vegemite and cheese? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

Cheese is a heavenly thing. You do not mix it just because you feel like it! :pwnge

DUDe YOU EAT PROCESSED CHEESE OUT OF A SPRAY BOTTLE. 'NUFF SAID. XD

k-dom
April 10, 2011, 12:48 AM
Vegimite is something you need a very long time until you start to appreciate it. I was only in Australia 6 months :-))

M3J
April 10, 2011, 01:44 AM
DUDETTE, I SO DON'T DO THAT! OTHERS DO!

VEGEMITE WITH CHEESE IS WORSE! It's like, jam with cheese or potato with candy. MAKES NO FREAKIN' SENSE!

k-dom
April 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
Actually jam with cheese can be very good. It just have to be something else than the products shown above.
The goat cheeses in particular, so it's more often eaten with honey.
But I have also eaten a hot camembert with a red fruit jam and it was delicious
I can imagin that some hard pastry like the gruyère or the comté which are already very fruity cheesy go also well with jam

saladesu
April 11, 2011, 07:46 AM
I... I'M ALLERGIC TO CHEESE :scry

By the way, I'm the one whom M3J is talking about in the quote in Blai's sig :sweat But I still really like cheese even though I'm allergic to it. It gives me rashes but I can live with them... For cheese! :whoabunny I like all sorts of cheese, though the really really strong blue cheeses are a no-no because of their smell and overwhelming taste :XD

I love cheese on pizza and in omelettes, in particular :3

And I honestly can't imagine eating cheese with vegemite though :bored Jam with cheese... Hmm, I'm not too sure but it might work.

k-dom
April 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
Since you like melted cheese, have you ever tried a Raclette. I've eaten one with some german friends here in Bremen and it's funny because german don't eat it at all like french do !

saladesu
April 12, 2011, 09:42 AM
I love raclette!! :nuts My parents got a cheap raclette machine (?) when they were in Europe at a sale, so we eat raclette pretty often :) It's lovely! It goes very well with sour stuff and over potatoes :3 Cheese fondue is another favorite.

Might have to cut down from now on though :scry Ugh I hate being allergic to cheese :(

k-dom
April 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
When I made the tour of the mont blanc last summer, there was fondue in all hotel available in switzerland. But in one, instead of the traditional cheese and bread, it was a mix of cheese beer and tomato sauce that you put on top of potatoes like for the raclette. It was extremely good too and less smelly than the usual one

Aazholh
April 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
I love cheese, but it doesn't love me. When I make Aazholh's Infamous Mexican Casserole and use 1 bag of Kraft shredded cheese.... Afterwords, I feel like I'm sick.

M3J
April 14, 2011, 01:49 AM
You probably overdo it on cheese. Stomach hurts? Constipation? I overcheesed and had one hell of a stomach pain. X_x

Aazholh
April 17, 2011, 10:38 PM
Not really, it's a feeling like my body's telling me I just ate something I shouldn't have. Shortness of breath and a feeling of slowness of circulation. Yeah, I try not to eat that casserole very often.

yukilove21
April 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
I love cheese! It is like, the best~

k-dom
April 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
If I would have to make a preference list I think it would look like this
1 : Comté or Gruyère (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comt%C3%A9_%28cheese%29), the crispy and taste of an old comté is quite the best ever
2 : St Nectaire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Nectaire) it's creamy and tasty just enough so that you can't stop eating it once you start
3 : goat cheese, all goat cheese are good from the frish ones to the old dry ones. It's to hard to choose one
4 : St marcellin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Marcellin) why don't they make it the size of a brie ?
5 : Vacherin and mont d'or (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacherin_%28cheese%29) I think the season has started, I have to buy some

mikkih
April 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
Philadelphia, PA, is famous for hot sandwiches called Cheesesteak sandwiches. The grilled thinly sliced beef is served with grilled onions and cheese in a sub roll. I love them when made with provolone, but they sometimes come with cheese-wiz. I think cheese-wiz should not be called cheese: I think that the processed whatever is just so terrible... (I know... a lot of people like them...)

LadyHatake
April 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
I loooove cheese. A lot. Goat, Havarti (w/ Dill especially~~), smoked gouda, provolone, Parmesan, mozzarella, montery, colby jack, cheddar, asiago, and so on :3

There are certain ones that I don't like, Jarlsberg, for instance. It tastes strange to me.

M3J
May 02, 2011, 10:01 PM
Anyone ever have cottage cheese? It looks weird, yet tastes good. :x

mikkih
May 03, 2011, 10:05 AM
Anyone ever have cottage cheese? It looks weird, yet tastes good. :x I've had cottage cheese. It looks weird, and it tastes weird.

M3J
May 03, 2011, 12:45 PM
You don't like the taste?

It somehow tastes good despite tasting weird. At first I was :oh ,then it grew on me.

mikkih
May 03, 2011, 04:10 PM
You don't like the taste?

It somehow tastes good despite tasting weird. At first I was :oh ,then it grew on me.

Cottage cheese and ricotta cheese are no-no for me. I can't eat goat cheese either......

kkck
May 03, 2011, 04:29 PM
Anyone ever have cottage cheese? It looks weird, yet tastes good. :x

I love it. Toast and cottage cheese FTW lol. I was surprised when people in US found that weird though.

mikkih
May 03, 2011, 07:24 PM
Cottage cheese to me is like diced tofu, that is soaked in the plain yogurt.:amuse

M3J
May 03, 2011, 08:32 PM
Cottage cheese and ricotta cheese are no-no for me. I can't eat goat cheese either......
Why not? Wasswrong with cottage cheese and ricotta cheese? :(

I love it. Toast and cottage cheese FTW lol. I was surprised when people in US found that weird though.
How do you eat cottage cheese with toast (or vice versa)? o.o

Cottage cheese to me is like diced tofu, that is soaked in the plain yogurt.:amuse

how does tofu taste like? :|

mikkih
May 03, 2011, 09:38 PM
Why not? Wasswrong with cottage cheese and ricotta cheese? :( how does tofu taste like? :| 3 things in common - I can't tell what I'm eating with my eyes closed.:-_- (I actually like tofu though...)

M3J
May 03, 2011, 10:41 PM
You don't like how it looks? o.o

mikkih
May 04, 2011, 02:09 PM
You don't like how it looks? o.oNo, I don't. Looks are quite important - and I am shallow.

k-dom
May 04, 2011, 03:11 PM
If you go by the look, you miss quite a lot of cheeses

mikkih
May 04, 2011, 04:40 PM
I could eat blue cheese, as long as it's not too much, but I can't stand how it looks. Are you talking about that kinda stuff, k-dom?

M3J
May 05, 2011, 01:48 AM
No, I don't. Looks are quite important - and I am shallow.

You are. :( Never gave cottage cheese another try? It grows on you.

mikkih
May 05, 2011, 11:30 AM
Milly, shall I try eating it plain or with fruits to hid the taste? I can give it another try, if you insist, :amuse

k-dom
May 05, 2011, 11:42 AM
I ment cheese rarely look pretty, so if look is important I guess it restrain the choice a lot
Is it blue cheese in itself or the fact that is mould that bother use ?

mikkih
May 05, 2011, 12:10 PM
The moldy look. (I like the taste and look of Gouda cheese, btw.)
[hr]
Baked brie cheese in puff-pastry is pretty, and it tastes great.

k-dom
May 05, 2011, 01:26 PM
There is a goat cheese with heart shape (http://www.fromages.com/cheese_library_detail.php?langue=fr&id_fromage=111), maybe you would like it :-)

M3J
May 05, 2011, 08:35 PM
Milly, shall I try eating it plain or with fruits to hid the taste? I can give it another try, if you insist, :amuse

Up to you. I like it plain, but if you like sweet, then try it with fruits.

kkck
May 05, 2011, 10:35 PM
Gouda is so easy to like.... I remember raiding a friends fridge from his parent's gouda. Never found out if they found out lol. Perhaps they were used to such raids though. Blue cheese is awesome too although I have never had the pleasure of raiding someone's fridge for it. I never had cottage cheese with fruit either. somehow fruit and cheese sounds awkward.....

mikkih
May 05, 2011, 10:52 PM
There is a goat cheese with heart shape (http://www.fromages.com/cheese_library_detail.php?langue=fr&id_fromage=111), maybe you would like it :-) It's so lovely. I wish it were Camembert instead. I can't eat goat cheeeeeeseeee. I tried so many times ...., but I can't get to like it. :darn I have forgotten about this cheese. I absolutely love Feta. :)

Ooops, I forgot to buy cottage cheese today.

cracker
May 06, 2011, 10:40 AM
I love cheese. I never had the chance of going all fancy about it though, you know Bleu cheese etc most just cheddar

mikkih
May 06, 2011, 11:51 AM
I love cheese. I never had the chance of going all fancy about it though, you know Bleu cheese etc most just cheddar
Cheddar is awesome. I can't live without sharp cheddar. (To be more accurate, I can live w/o cheddar, but can't w/o soy sauce.)

k-dom
May 06, 2011, 11:59 AM
To me cheddar is just a substitute, when there are no other type of cheese there is always cheddar

M3J
May 06, 2011, 08:31 PM
Cheddar is good, especially shredded cheese. At least, shredded cheddar cheese is.

I'm not happy with American yellow cheese being cheddar cheese. D:

mikkih
May 06, 2011, 09:29 PM
Yellow American cheese should not be called cheese. That is the very reason that I can never order a cheese burger at Big M.

What do you use the shredded cheese for, Milly? I make cheese quesadillas with it.

M3J
May 06, 2011, 09:45 PM
Lulz, it does taste bleh.

I use shredded cheddar cheese for tacos, quesadillas, and enchiladas (read: my mom makes the food). I sometimes use it for nachos as well. Shredded mozzarella cheese is for most Italian food and for nachos as well. Both cheese together makes for an epic dish!

You just do cheese quesadillas?

mikkih
May 07, 2011, 09:29 AM
I guess all the Mexican foods go well with cheddar. For tacos,I tend to use mixed cheese. I like artisan cheese, so I usually add it to cheddar. Mexican dip is also good with cheddar: refried beans on the bottom, guacamole, sour cream, then sprinkle shredded cheddar and sliced chives or scallions on top - it's pretty as well lol. Mexican foods are not so difficult to make, so don't let your mom cook for you all the time~ :amuse.

cracker
May 07, 2011, 02:08 PM
You guys are making me hungry lol

M3J
May 07, 2011, 02:51 PM
If I cooked, I'd abuse cheese, which has come to bite me in the ass later on. Like when I made cheese burgers, I used TONS of cheese.

Constipation is not fun. :(

cracker
May 07, 2011, 04:57 PM
If I cooked, I'd abuse cheese, which has come to bite me in the ass later on. Like when I made cheese burgers, I used TONS of cheese.

Constipation is not fun. :(

Everything in moderation, too much of anything isn't good for you even cheese lol

And yeah, constipation, no fun there, none at all :s

M3J
May 08, 2011, 02:05 AM
You can't moderate when you're addicted. D: I added so much shredded cheese on my nachos that I felt odd for a while. :<

k-dom
May 08, 2011, 03:01 AM
So true
Maybe you should eat a dessert which can help your intestines reworks, something like, a mountain of strawberries with chantilly.

M3J
May 09, 2011, 12:36 AM
Wouldn't that make me fruity instead of cheesy? :lmao

k-dom
May 09, 2011, 12:39 AM
I'm both !

Queenofmuffins
May 09, 2011, 04:38 AM
My favourite cheese is probably Brie. I just love it. <3

Haha, I got chewed out by a bunch of English people on the dive boat today. Apparently Australia has really crappy cheese, and they especially hate a cheese being called 'tasty cheese'. I was like, "Bitch please. Tasty cheese is AWESOME." but to no avail. D:

Oddly enough, before today I thought tasty cheese was international...

mikkih
May 09, 2011, 08:06 AM
Are you fruity today, Milly? I bet K-dom is.:tem

Queen, I had to look up the Tasty Cheese you brought up online. It still didn't give me a good picture of that cheese though. Is it processed cheddar? Is it always white? Does it come with sharp and mild? Hope it does not taste like American cheese, which I refuse to call cheese. :blink

k-dom
May 09, 2011, 12:03 PM
Well this is the strawberry season but it's quite hard to find good ones. Whereas cheese never disappoint you !

I think the only international cheese is cheddar. Perhaps blue cheese also they do not always taste the same depending on the country

M3J
May 10, 2011, 01:05 AM

Queen, I had to look up the Tasty Cheese you brought up online. It still didn't give me a good picture of that cheese though. Is it processed cheddar? Is it always white? Does it come with sharp and mild? Hope it does not taste like American cheese, which I refuse to call cheese. :blink

I'm never fruity, I'm beefy and cheesy. :3c

Coincidentally, has anyone ever tried cheese with fruit other than grapes? How did it taste? Did you enjoy? What cheese?

SWISS CHEESE FTW!

Queenofmuffins
May 10, 2011, 07:16 AM

It's hard to explain. Tasty cheese is... tasty. Not sharp, or mild. It's basically a unique flavour.
See? http://www.devondale.com.au/products/cheese_tasty.asp
It literally describes the flavour as "tasty"! :tem

The best description I could find was this: "tasty cheese is a generic term for not-cream cheese. It was coined in the 60/70's in Aus when the only readily available cheeses were Kraft "Cheddar" (a bizarre thickened milk product, the making of which involved alchemy and now-banned chemical processing.. I think it's similar to your Velveeta) and "tasty".

Tasty cheese comes pre shredded and in solid block form. It is predominantly cheddar, but a cheaper, more generic version."

But, despite them sounding a bit negative I think tasty is quite nice. ^_^
(But then again, everyone keeps telling me my country has no good cheeses. D: )

mikkih
May 10, 2011, 10:57 AM
Queen, thanks for info :D

I ate real cheddar + a mango + coffee for breakfast today~
[hr]
Milly, are you talking about the cheese which often comes with holes? What would Swiss people call it? (It's too bitter for my taste.)

k-dom
May 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
Emmental

And like I said earlier I ate some camembert with rot fruits jam
Cheese and nuts is also really good but I don't think it counts
Goat cheese with honey is delicious

Apple and pear shall also go well with lot's of cheese

And fresh type of cheese probably taste good with other kinds of fruit

M3J
May 10, 2011, 08:09 PM
Queen, thanks for info :D

I ate real cheddar + a mango + coffee for breakfast today~
<hr noshade size="1">
Milly, are you talking about the cheese which often comes with holes? What would Swiss people call it? (It's too bitter for my taste.)

Yeah, that cheese. Swiss cheese is pretty good, it doesn't taste bitter. Kinda tastes good and mysterious, and somewhat like the taste hits you like, a second or two later.

mikkih
May 11, 2011, 09:29 AM
This world would be so dark without cheese~
I started my day with cheddar (again) this morning.:)

kkck
May 31, 2011, 09:47 AM
About two weeks ago I discovered I liked camembert (spelling?) better than brie lol. Interesting what you can discover at a wine drinking night on a tuesday.

k-dom
May 31, 2011, 01:26 PM
Those are very similar cheese. Maybe the camembert taste is a bit stronger. But its great advantage is the packaging. You can take it in pick-nick without problem whereas the brie tends to leak.
If they have some at your wine bar, please try the saint nectaire next time and tell me what you think of it.

For frenchies
France Inter:On va déguster spécial fromage (http://sites.radiofrance.fr/franceinter/em/ete/on-va-deguster/index.php?id=105120)

kkck
May 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
well yeah, camembert is a bit stronger than brie, that is why I liked it better. I never paid attention to the detail of brie being softer than camembert though, funny that. I don't actually have a wine bar (my city is not cosmopolitan enough for that as I found out earlier this week lol), me and a bunch of friends just so happen to buy a bunch of cheese (brie, camambert, blue cheese, and at least five other kinds last time) and use it as an excuse to get wasted on wine(we are in our early 20s afterall, we can't be THAT mature about it). had too much blue cheese for my own good that night and had to leave my car at the place of the girl whose house we had the wine and cheese night. I jogged to get it back the next day lol (I sweated wine on my way there lol).

I haven't heard of saint nectaire before although I will keep an eye out for it. Perhaps it has another name or classification I could use to identify it?

k-dom
June 01, 2011, 02:21 PM
I listen to the radio link above and it's funny because a big part was dedicated to recognize a good camembert
So the real camembert is "de Normandie moulé à la louche, à la main". But the main point is that it has to be made with frish milk and not pasteurized.
They also spoke about wine and cheese, I already knew that the best is not the red one as it generally assumed (I still do it so), but here they recommend to trink cheese such as brie and camembert with cider. Well that may be good for the taste but I guess it is hard to get drunk with cider...

phio_chan
July 01, 2011, 10:28 AM
I don't really like cheese. In fact, maybe I can say I dislike it, even hate it. I don't know why, it feels like every time it enters my stomach, I would feel like vomiting everything that I've eaten. Well, not that often, but if I eat too much cheese. That's why I rarely eat cheese, or even if I do eat it, I won't eat too many. I'm not allergic to it too. I just... don't really like it. ^^"

benelori
July 01, 2011, 02:36 PM
I love cheese:lolo...if I always had cheese, I would eat it with everything...except maybe fruits:p...but where vegetables, meat eggs are in the game, cheese is on the top

M3J
July 01, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi phio.

May I stab you and then bite your nosey for not liking cheese? :derp

Sincerely,

Unhappy

phio_chan
July 02, 2011, 01:10 AM
Hi M3J.

Before you stab me and bite my nose, why don't we make a contract? I'll give all my cheese to you. How would that sound?

With love,

I-want-to-live-long-because-I-still-want-to-eat-more-chocolate.

k-dom
July 02, 2011, 08:56 AM
I don't think cheese goes well with chocolate, also one can make fondue with both

phio_chan
July 03, 2011, 07:24 AM
They don't always go well; I mentioned chocolate since I'm more fond of chocolate than cheese. :3

Back on topic, I can still eat cheese in pizza. But it makes me feel stuffed faster than usual, so I hate eating pizza with cheese. :o

M3J
July 04, 2011, 07:22 PM
I'll still bite your nose.

So you remove cheese or get pizza with no cheese?

phio_chan
July 05, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'll run away. :hurr

I try my best to get pizza with no cheese. Luckily my parents are not that fond of cheese as well, so it goes without saying that we would never order a pizza with cheese. As for other situations, well, I'll just eat everything else before I eat pizza with cheese so I'll still be able to enjoy all food. :hurr

M3J
July 05, 2011, 07:24 PM
You cannot run away from the Pervmeister. \o/

Really? My cousin and parents have said that pizza with no cheese is horrible. They prefer to get cheese pizza and then remove cheese.

Anyway, you should be kidnapped and forcefed cheese until you like it. :mad

phio_chan
July 06, 2011, 07:56 AM
Then we'll just keep running. :hurr

Hmm, it's exactly the opposite for me and my family. We all prefer ones without cheese when it comes to pizza. My mom is pretty fond of cheese, but she's not a maniac either. Is the cheese on the topping or the surrounding bread? For me, if it's on the bread, it's more tolerable than on the topping.

Rrrreeaalllyy? I think you'll only make me hate it more. :|

kkck
July 06, 2011, 08:06 AM
Pizza with no cheese? thats like a hot dog with no sausage, just wrong lol.

k-dom
July 06, 2011, 11:55 AM
cheese in the surrounding bread is not a pizza ! It's another crazy american invention.

phio_chan
July 06, 2011, 12:00 PM
cheese in the surrounding bread is not a pizza ! It's another crazy american invention.

Eh? Really? ..Well, not that much surprising, considering how creative they are. XD I can tolerate it better, but I still can't say I like it that way. ^^"

Paper
September 13, 2011, 07:04 AM
I friggin' LOVE cheese! The stinkier the better!

My current favorite would have to be Bleu/blue veined cheese. I'd love to get my hands on some nice unpasteurized AoC cheeses, but our customs department won't allow it...

cracker
September 13, 2011, 08:52 AM
I still have huge issues with smell. If something stinks more than likely I can't eat it lol

Paper
September 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
I don't blame you, stinky cheeses/unpasturized cheeses are an acquired taste. It's a lot like oysters, durian, and offals.

kkck
September 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
Speak for yourself lol, I can't remember a day in my life where I did not enjoy a good old fashion stinky cheese. I guess it is plausible for my parents to have trained me to like stinky cheese even as a toddler though lol. I think my current favorite cheese is either blue cheese or Parmesan.... My parents bound a full wheel of parmesan some time ago and I just could not stop eating it lol.

cracker
September 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
Parmesan is pretty mild compared to what I was thinking still.

http://blog.hotelclub.com/top-10-stinky-cheeses/

Roquefort looks really gross lol

kkck
September 14, 2011, 09:53 PM
Well, obviously parmesan is not nearly as stinky or strong flavored as a regular blue cheese or roquefort lol (that is not necessarily the point either).... I can't remember if I have tried Limburger..... It sounds as something that I should have tried but I just can't place it. I don't mind the smell but I do wonder if my system could at large handle unpasteurized products. I have every reason to believe they should actually be better tasting than pasteurized products (as flavor is obviously sacrificed for the sake of health) but there really is a risk here.... Perhaps it is not as bad as I have been lead to believe though.

Paper
September 15, 2011, 02:06 AM
As much as I'd love to gorge on cheese, I have a certain level of lactose intolerance to deal with...:scry

naruto-niichan
September 15, 2011, 05:12 AM
Most of cheese is actually great but I don't eat it that often. Gouda was my absolute favourite, I should buy one the next time.

k-dom
September 15, 2011, 12:14 PM
My parents bought to much cheese for their birthday party. We had to eat a complete st nectaire and a complete brie (a complete brie is huge) with only 5 people. I just had to forget eating balanced meal.

rudorofu
January 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
Don't love cheese nor do I hate it. I use it whenever the food really needs it, but the one thing I don't particularly like when it comes to cheese is melting it to the point where it becomes liquid. My mom thinks things taste better when they've been microwaved to the point of becoming a liquid, but I would think otherwise. Either my taste buds are off or she's off her rockers XD

k-dom
January 31, 2012, 04:03 AM
Well i'm not sure to understand you.
First the cheese doesn't need to be eaten melted. In fact it's more those who doesn't like cheese who eat it that way because the smell is not that strong.
Second, if you use cheese as a top and heat it, it's hard that it does not become liquid.

Jorge D. Dragon
February 01, 2012, 03:36 AM
I wouldn't say that I really like cheese. I mostly prefer it to be eaten in pizza and pasta. I also like to eat it with soup.:)
The thing I don't really like about cheese is its smell.:)
And also I don't like melted cheese. Also I have allergy for several types of cheese as I have allergy for milk.

Kaiten
April 03, 2012, 12:41 PM
I enjoy cheese though I am only beginning to explore different varieties. My preference is for French or Spanish cheese, depending on the mood I am in. I just finished a wedge of Campo de Montalban, very similar to manchego but a bit more complex. I bought some Saint Andre yesterday and am really enjoying it, my first time trying it and I am quite impressed.

Cotaku
April 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
Cheese is good. The only type of cheese I've never really cared for is pepperjack, for whatever reason. I also don't care for melted liquid cheese. It gets to be waaaay too much for me.

ynasledge
May 01, 2012, 08:36 PM
I love cheese especially with wine.:)

Kaiten
May 01, 2012, 10:28 PM
Any favorite types of cheese?

kkck
June 14, 2012, 10:18 PM
Ok, yesterday I had a great cheese experience. As the fanatic I am I really enjoy good aged cheese. The other day at this god forsaken town I visited a cheese store. While the town was forsaken, the actual store belonged to a known association of cheese makers in the country (I don't think they export though). The association usually has their members sell their cheese with the brand of the association. Anyways, I noticed they had a huge cheese wheel which actually looked horrible however when I tried it it was the best Gruyere I ever had. It wasn't the one they normally sold at stores, it was a properly aged one and it was plain awesome. I did not actually intend on buying anything, specially since earlier I had bought their store Gruyere which was rather plain, but I ended up walking out of there with a pound of it because that was about as much cash as I had at the time (spent the rest of it, interestingly, on more cheese).

Jammin
June 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
I enjoy cheese a lot. My two favorites are probably.

Gruyère (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy%C3%A8re_%28cheese%29)
A hard type from Switzerland with a great sweet and nutty flavor wonderful grainy texture. I like to make Potatoes Au Gratin with it as well as eating it with bread.

Taleggio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taleggio_%28cheese%29)
Soft and mild with a slight buttery flavor. Very good with bread as part of a cheese course. Quite a strong aroma though, so you tend to know when you have it in you fridge.

I also enjoy the classic American version of cheese. It's a completely different experience from what people consider "real" cheese but I still love to cook with various Cheddars and even the much scoffed at Velveeta (which not so much a cheese as it is "cheese inspired").

-----------------------------------------

I am not a goat cheese fan. One time I heard a fan of goat cheese describe the taste as "Like sweat scraped off the back of a goat with a dirty knife." I find this to be a perfect description.

I enjoy cheese with wine but I rarely get the chance to drink it. In my experience, good wine is too expensive for me and bad wine is too terrible. I find the same to be true of most alcohol actually; which is why I almost never drink.(Tea is more cost effective)

k-dom
June 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
There are different type of goat cheese, maybe you should start with the fresh ones which taste is not that strong. But I know from my mother it is a taste difficult to start to like.
As for the wine, you should find some good bottles for a reasonable price. Are californian wines that expensive ? With a 75cl bottle, you can make 5-6 glasses. That makes between 1$ and 2$ the glass, I find it reasonable for a meal with friends.

Jammin
June 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
There are different type of goat cheese, maybe you should start with the fresh ones which taste is not that strong. But I know from my mother it is a taste difficult to start to like.
As for the wine, you should find some good bottles for a reasonable price. Are californian wines that expensive ? With a 75cl bottle, you can make 5-6 glasses. That makes between 1$ and 2$ the glass, I find it reasonable for a meal with friends. When I say good wine I mean REALLY good wine. A neighbor of mine had a great wine cellar full of properly aged and generally imported wines(typically Burgundy's) so I'm very much spoiled when it comes to wine. And keeping that kind of thing means having a wine cellar.

And, considering I don't even like to drink, that's just waaay to much effort.

Plus, when you serve good wine nobody drinks one glass. 3 glass minimum I would say. Which means about 2-4 bottles per meal, which really adds up fast when it's the good stuff. And if one of those bottles is desert wine... god help your wallet.....

k-dom
June 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
There are all the price and taste in wine. If you can't find some that you like for a reasonable price then you are really difficult. And if your neighbour has only a cave of burgondy, he may be a little snob.

Jammin
June 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
There are all the price and taste in wine. If you can't find some that you like for a reasonable price then you are really difficult. And if your neighbour has only a cave of burgondy, he may be a little snob. Oh he's got tons of other stuff in the but I think the majority is Burgundy and he's definitely not a snob. He's a college professor with a passion for wine and he's always eager to share what he's got with anybody he knows whether they know wine or not.

The issue with wine and me is that I'm really not an enthusiast. I can appreciate the good stuff but it's definitely not something I "love". I realize that this may be hard to understand being in France where it's part of the culture, but for me wine is just not something I'm at all passionate about unless the flavor or nose is completely out of this world. I'm passionate about my tea and my food but wine is just... meh. Alchohol in general, most Seafood, and any form of smoking are 3 things that hold next to no appeal to me.

Cheese on the other hand is great, goat aside (See how I transitioned back on topic?:^_^).

Kaiten
September 03, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cheese on the other hand is great, goat aside (See how I transitioned back on topic?:^_^).

I enjoy goat cheese, especially from Spain. Murcian is a wonderful table cheese. I do prefer sheep's milk to goat, especially Idiazabal (Basque) and Manchega.

Asarii
September 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
It depends on the type of cheese: I love parmesan and cheddar, but I can't tolerate something that has a very strong taste or was fermented for a long period of time. However, I'm open-minded so I don't mind trying a type of cheese that's out of my comfort zone depending on how it's prepared.

M3J
September 08, 2012, 08:17 PM
I've sampled different kinds of cheese. I can confidently say I hate salty or extra salty cheese. :(

mikkih
January 21, 2013, 05:45 PM
I've sampled different kinds of cheese. I can confidently say I hate salty or extra salty cheese. :(

I guess feta is quite salty, but I like them.

Right now, I have a little less than 2 lb of feta in my fridge. I used it with salad, pita bread sandwich and quiche so far.

Though I love feta, I may get sick of it unless I think of some clever recipes. (Maybe I should freeze.) I'm thinking of making a flat bread pizza with feta+olives and baked chicken with feta stuffing. Lmk if anyone has any suggestions.

---------- Post added January 21, 2013 at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was January 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM ----------

I gave up on my humongous feta already, and I've been munching on Brie.

k-dom
January 21, 2013, 05:47 PM
Well it's harder to cook brie than feta. But since it's tastier there is no need to add anything else :-)

Jammin
January 22, 2013, 12:04 AM
I guess feta is quite salty, but I like them.

Right now, I have a little less than 2 lb of feta in my fridge. I used it with salad, pita bread sandwich and quiche so far.

Though I love feta, I may get sick of it unless I think of some clever recipes. (Maybe I should freeze.) I'm thinking of making a flat bread pizza with feta+olives and baked chicken with feta stuffing. Lmk if anyone has any suggestions.

---------- Post added January 21, 2013 at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was January 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM ----------

I gave up on my humongous feta already, and I've been munching on Brie.Feta goes good with a greek salad or in a chicken spinach wrap.

I'd suggest something simple like getting some boneless skinless chicken breasts(I do 3 at a time) dice them up and marinate them in some extra virgin olive oil(5 tablespoons), lemon juice(3 tablespoons), rosemary(2 teaspoons), thyme(2 teaspoons), and oregano(2 teaspoons). After a few hours marinating just brown it in big skillet or sauce pan.

Then with spinach, onion, tomato, and feta. You can combine that in a pita for a good wrap or you can just plate it as a damn good chicken salad. You could really heap the feta on either without drowning out the flavor.

mikkih
January 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
Feta goes good with a greek salad or in a chicken spinach wrap.

I'd suggest something simple like getting some boneless skinless chicken breasts(I do 3 at a time) dice them up and marinate them in some extra virgin olive oil(5 tablespoons), lemon juice(3 tablespoons), rosemary(2 teaspoons), thyme(2 teaspoons), and oregano(2 teaspoons). After a few hours marinating just brown it in big skillet or sauce pan.

Then with spinach, onion, tomato, and feta. You can combine that in a pita for a good wrap or you can just plate it as a damn good chicken salad. You could really heap the feta on either without drowning out the flavor.
Thanks, Jammin. The marinated chicken sounds great. I haven't used fresh rosemary and thyme since Thanksgiving dinner back in November, but I bet fresh herb makes the dish even tastier. Feta is so great on salad indeed. You just made me realized that I almost never make chicken salad. Most of my chicken turn into Teriyaki or fried. For salad, I often use frozen shrimp since they are so much quicker without prep time. I should make chicken salad for a change for sure. I just had an open pita sandwich with smoked salmon, red onions, Boston lettuces (the soft one), tomato topped with feta + olive oil etc. Chicken will be my next :)

Well it's harder to cook brie than feta. But since it's tastier there is no need to add anything else :-)

Some people wrap brie with a pie sheet then bake, but since I'm a lazy one, I tend to just slice and eat them with crackers even the white waxy part.

Provolone is my everyday cheese.

Sanadan
March 30, 2013, 03:17 PM
Actually jam with cheese can be very good. It just have to be something else than the products shown above.
The goat cheeses in particular, so it's more often eaten with honey.
But I have also eaten a hot camembert with a red fruit jam and it was delicious
I can imagin that some hard pastry like the gruyère or the comté which are already very fruity cheesy go also well with jam

Has to be the right kind of cheese though. A nice gouda with some jam can be very good.

In portugal they have this good mild and fresh tasting white cheese that goes well with a form of marmelade that is very solid. Comes out of a can shaped like a fat pizza. That combo is greeeeat.