PDA

View Full Version : Review Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 336)

Gold Knight
December 21, 2006, 04:31 AM
http://img335.imageshack.us/img335/4369/0uf1.jpg
Let's see some blood splatterin'!

Heya, hope y'all enjoyed the early RAW. We sure didn't have to wait very long this week. I was working on a Chevalier review today too, but didn't expect this chapter to be out so soon, so decided to stop that and get this one out of the way. Expect that one sometimes this weekend in the Seinen Manga area, though, if you're interested.

I'll just keep the intro short this time and get to the credits, not much to say anyway. But I am back to full activity, so I'll try to make my responses quicker this time around. And I'd like to say in advance that I hope you all have a great Christmas or Hanukkah and get everything you wanted. ^^

Thanks to manji for finding and posting the RAW, brucelee, NJT, and hisshouburaiken for the early translations, and our many scanlation groups here for releasing their MQs quickly. I'll be using some of Yume's scan as well as Hakabakashii's scan for the images in this review.

Speaking of which, the Comments may be short this time, but that's probably more due to it being an action-oriented chapter than anything else. If you find more to talk about, by all means mention them. As last week's discussion proved, I don't always catch everything.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to discuss and comment. :)

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 336: Reverse Predicament...! * * *

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/8306/1ch4.jpg
Shikamaru: Certified Athletic Trainer? Work it, Hidan!

1. Divide and Conquer? Going to assume that Shikamaru wanted to get out of the area with Hidan so that there was no possibility of interference from Kakuzu's creatures. Don't blame Kakuzu for being incredulous though - an one-on-one battle with Hidan is almost certainly suicide in most cases.

Still, I'm a bit surprised that Kakuzu didn't call out to him "remember, sonny, don't get yourself killed!" again. Heh.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7555/2xs8.jpg
He fought the freakin' First? No wonder he has so many stitches...

2. [i]Ah, The Good Ol' Days... Ah, it's the classic "villain ranting" scene. Where the bad guy looks straight into the eyes of the heroes and starts trash talking about how he's going to kick their collective butt to the other end of the Five Lands. That usually means, though, the exact opposite is about to happen.

But gotta give Kakuzu credit. Saying that he fought the First Hokage - Yamato's predecessor - and surviving and living on is no mean feat. I don't blame Team 10 for being momentarily awestruck at hearing that, even Kakashi was stunned for a second. Talk about instant psychological intimidation. But at the same time I don't know if Kakuzu actually fared all that well. Might be much ado about nothing. Sure, so he fought Shodai - but look at him now! Maybe that's why Kakashi thought Kakuzu was immortal, because how the heck did he get away from Shodai alive? Hah.

But having lived so long - even though he admitted he wasn't immortal - it still gave him a definite advantage in that he's accumulated so much battle experience. I mean, I didn't expect him to be possibly the oldest member of the Akatsuki, but if we're to believe him here, he's like two times older than Orochimaru and Sasori. And still packs a mean punch for such an old geezer...!

(Guess now we know why he hides his face, though. Probably all wrinkles and deteriorated right now...!)

However, the fact that Kakuzu said that "nobody's immortal" seems to imply that Hidan isn't either. That might be confirmation right there that Hidan CAN die. Just have to figure out his Achilles' Heel...

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/6530/3cn4.jpg
It's all in the wrist...!

3. [i]Penned...! Okay, how in the world did Shikamaru throw all these explosive tags all around them once they were alone without setting them off himself? Somebody explain this to me. Also, he was already concentrating his Kagemane on Hidan, right? So... what the heck?

Although the idea is ingenious since Shikamaru can always easily re-attach his Kagemane to Hidan as a result of any explosions. Talk about a net of shadows. I just want to know how he threw the kunais so fast, and where he was hiding 'em. Must've been running in circles tossing them everywhere. I'm amazed Hidan didn't get a bit dizzy.

Somebody mentioned last week that Shikamaru seemed to no longer have to "hold a pose" to make the Kagemane work. After seeing a feat like this, it makes me wonder why, too.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4310/4oh4.jpg
You're MINE!!! Fufu!

4. [i]Oh No! It's Skeletor Again! Pretty obvious which scene in this chapter that Kishimoto worked on drawing the most!

He did a good job here, though, as Hidan looked the creepiest I've seen him so far. Also, nice touch with all the explosive tags in the background. This one should be fun for the colorists to tackle.

Now that we know that Hidan's immortality isn't related to his "voodoo appearance" (since he didn't care that he was caught in Kakuzu's attacks) the blood that he partakes of another person would seem to be the only reason his body turns skeletal. It's just a side-effect of his "voodoo jutsu," I guess... (I wonder if we're ever going to get a name for that ghastly jutsu...)

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3672/5ze7.jpg
Man, they're full of hot air.

5. [i]Say Hello to My Little Friend! Well, I had predicted last week that we'd see Kakuzu again somewhere along the way because I saw a lot of potential in how he could combine his attacks, and I thought Kishimoto would save that for later.

But hey, looks like Kishimoto's already making the most out of Kakuzu's attacks right now! I'm starting to think we may be seeing Kakuzu's demise very soon after all.

Anyway, so Kakuzu combined the katon and futon creatures in order to project a firestorm. Pretty impressive. Guess Kakuzu wouldn't need Naruto's help in order to power up his fireballs, huh.

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/1384/6lz7.jpg
HEY! Anybody got a binoculars... crap, too late.

6. [i]Now You See Me, Now You Don't...! Figures. Just when Kakashi finally used something other than a Raikiri or the Sharingan in battle, it also involved a bit of a tease as he actually pulled his mask down in order to perform the jutsu.

But Kishimoto purposefully drew him from faraway so that we couldn't glimpse his face. That devil dog!

Although this isn't the first time we've seen Kakashi use water, it's the first that we've seen him use a suiton technique similar to the ones Nidaime and Kisame used. And here I thought that was a Hokage-level jutsu. Maybe it was a lesser version, though.

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/8341/7jj1.jpg
You heartless monster! ...Er, maybe not "heartless"...

7. [i]Have a Heart, Man! Alright, I don't USUALLY like it when Kakashi is being slammed to the ground by anybody, but I've got to admit Kakuzu was just plain bad-ass this page. Grabbing ahold of Kakashi in the air and just throwing him to the ground, and then going straight for the kill like nobody's business.

I've also got to think that Kishimoto figured that the Kakashi fans might not like this scene, so had our greedy Akatsuki seem more formidable by relating his battle with the Shodai. Then there's the experience that he probably accumulated through all these decades. Though it wouldn't probably have mattered to me - I already figured any one of the Akatsuki were going to be absolute monsters to take on one-on-one, even for Kakashi.

What ARE Ino and Chouji doing anyway? I'm extremely disappointed in them right now that they didn't even move to help Kakashi out.

When they get back to Konohagakure - if they do - Shikamaru better head right to Tsunade's office and give an heart-felt apology about nearly going off with his team without a fourth member. They would have all been screwed by now if it hadn't been for Kakashi being there.

http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/6634/8oh5.jpg
Paaaaain.... YUMMY!

8. [i]No Prelude to Death...? I'm a bit surprised - no, make that VERY shocked - that Hidan went for an instant kill, without even taunting or demeaning Shikamaru.

I expected Hidan to toy around with Shikamaru at least, and that's why I feel a bit like his plan (as it would be revealed shortly) had a high risk associated with it. I mean, pretend as much as Shikamaru wants to, if Hidan had bothered to even look at whether Shikamaru was coughing up blood or not, he would have quickly figured something was amiss.

Not to mention that Kakuzu had Kakashi on the ropes almost immediately, so the plan had to go in effect almost instanteously.

So no matter how you look it any way, Shikamaru and Kakashi were extremely lucky here.

http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/8665/9uc8.jpg
H-h-heartburn!

9. [i]In the Nick of Time...! Man, and Kakuzu was just ABOUT to pierce Kakashi's chest and pull his heart out, too.

Of course, maybe it was just a bunshin. But I personally would hate to see it being one here, because it'd be seen as a bit too much of a plot device.

A little comedic to see Kakuzu suddenly being attacked by Hidan, even indirectly, though. Looks like we were right in our prediction about the vial, eh? Probably a little too easily predictable, though, but whatever. Shikamaru must be pretty deft of hand to have made Hidan taste Kakuzu's blood instead of his own - though we did see his cheek bloody though. I'm a little bit confused there, I have to admit.

Either way, I don't think Kakuzu's done here, though. If he was a normal being, he would have just keeled over and died right on the spot. Hidan's stake went RIGHT through his heart. And I'd wager that it wouldn't have been the first time Kakuzu's felt the effects of Hidan's voodoo jutsu, either - they definitely seem to have fought each other in the past.

I've got to think either it's because Kakuzu's creatures are still part of his body and carrying hearts of their own that he's still alive right now, and he'll have to absorb one of them right now to live any longer, and he will. But at the same time I think his body might be paralyzed enough right now that Kakashi can get away from his tendrils.

If I were Kakashi right now, it would be the perfect opportunity to strike with a jutsu to the head, though, while Kakuzu was so badly distracted.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8670/10px7.jpg
Your ass is grass, Hidan...!

10. [i]Curtains Time for Hidan? Of course we knew Shikamaru wasn't just going to let the information that Asuma had sacrificed himself to obtain for battling these guys go to waste. We knew that.

I did like how Hidan seemed to almost sense something was a little strange and becoming nervous there though. Or maybe he's just feeling a murderous aura from Shikamaru...!

Still, wonder how exactly Shikamaru is going to fight Hidan, though. I've got to think these explosive tags will come in handy for his Kagemane, but he's going to have to rip Hidan apart to pieces if he wants to stop him for good.

Stay tuned for next week, I guess...!

EDIT: Bonus Comment!

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/3170/11zl9.jpg
Hey, is that Makeup?

11. [i]Shikamaru's Bag of Tricks! Totally missed this on my first writing of the Comments, thanks to Glasskatana for spotting it.

There's no way Kishimoto didn't draw that panel without it being significant. The way Shikamaru fell seems to indicate that he did it on purpose so that his bag would quietly spill its contents, making it easy for him to sneakily reach for them while he was still lying on the ground, just in case Hidan happened to be looking at him.

Are they more containers? Will Shikamaru be trying to get some of Hidan's own blood now, in order to have him taste it by accident and having him subsequently kill himself without meaning to? I've got to think that's coming up now...

RATING: 4 of 5 - Initially I didn't like this chapter at all, but upon rereading it I actually didn't mind it so much anymore. I had thought at first that it would have been a better rating if Chapters 335-336 were one chapter instead of two. The action would have been much more substantial, at least, but now I realize there probably wasn't enough space either way to cover all the "plan." There were still some flaws with this one, though, particularly concerning Shikamaru's plan being so risky and based on incredible reflexes and luck. I'm a little surprised that he was that desperate.

Predictions: I think we'll be seeing a battle rage between Shikamaru and Hidan while Kakuzu gets away from Kakashi and get a heart from one of his creatures to survive. I'm HOPING we'll see some action from Chouji and Ino in the meanwhile, possibly to take out a creature's "mask" while Kakuzu's still unsteady on his foot.

Credits: Thanks to Hakabakashii's MQ scanlation, Manji for the RAW, and our translators here. And thank you ALL for your support - and especially putting up with all my heart-related puns! But wait, don't go breathing a sigh of relief, there's ONE more...!

http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/4718/finze6.jpg
Ouch. My heart bleeds for you, man.
Comment! XD

Rurouni Gio
December 21, 2006, 06:54 AM
Wiii :D, first time posting here, First answer ^^.

First of All, congratulations, nice work every week there , keep going like this <3, and Merry X-mass

1.- Kakuzu was taking Shikamaru too lightly, so he didn't even think the chance of Shikamaru beating up Hidan at all, that's possibly why he didn't warn Hidan.

2.-Well, he fought the First Hokage, and lived, maybe using his hearts of whatever, and that was too long ago, so in my opinion if Kakuzu wasn't at a "Kage-level" Back then, he most likely is at that level now.

3.-Same, neither i can understand who in the hell did Shikamaru put that amount of explosive tags there, unless those were set before the fight started as a back up for a fail in the plan?, (and that scene look too much like in the movie)

4.-If that is a side effect, then the weakness of his jutsu could be hidden there?

5.-Indeed, a great combination, making that fire really strong, possibly as strong as Sarutobi's Katon.

6.-I don't think there is a reason to stop Kakashi from doing a Kage-level Jutsu, more than he can't affor to waste too much chakra most of the time, but as he said in the last chaptet "Although i've popped out Raikiri 4 time while using sharingan, it doesn't look like i have time to hesitate", so he's doing the jutsus he needs to. But, something is sure, this proves that Kakashi can use Water Element without Water.

7.- Indeed, this scene hurt me a bit as a Kakashi fan i am. As for the lucky part, i don't really think that if the plan had failed that would be the end for Kakashi, he would've somehow managed to get away, ohterwise, he woudn't reamin so calm there, he had thought of an alternive way i think.

8.- Indeed, he went just too quick for a vital spot. Was he pissed off or something?

9.-As i said above, don't think Kakashi would've died even if Shikamaru hadn't performed that in time, that would be just anti-Kakashi-like. If i were Kakashi i would open at least the First gate (The Gate of life), which restores Chakra, Stamina, and heals wounds, then i'd take the opportunity of Kakuzu's pain to use a Successfull MS of his, or a Raikiri just in the head. (Since he opened the first gate he'd had enough chakra to perform whatever he wants).

10.-Let's see what the genius has prepared for Hidan :3.

As for the Raiting, i agree with you, a 4/5.

As for Predictions, i predict that Shikamaru will make Hidan use the Vodoo again with Kagemane, but this time it won't work property for some reason, that's when Hidan tries to get this time Shika's Blood, but falls in an Unpredictable second stage of the trap, while Kakashi, Chouji and Ino Fight Kakuzu, where i think Chouji an dIno together will take 1 Hollow, and Kakashi will finish the other 2 later on, (I hope Kakashi opens the First gate and restores chakra, then goes on owining the Hollows, well... if he owns them without needing to restore chakra i won't complain :3). Or a back up will come when there is just one Hollow left. As for Hidan, i still insist that his weakness is Genjutsu :P.

ibra87
December 21, 2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the fast comments GK!

I too think that Kakuzu still has the advantage. He still has 3 hearts, remember? Seeing how his jutsus work, I would guess that one of the doll's hearts would do just like his hands and get to him with cables. I wonder which one though... But somehow I get the feeling that Hidan will know before killing Kakuzu another time. Maybe Shikamaru will do like any other manga character and explain what he did with the blood and all... I don't hope so.

Also I think that Kakuzu will get another heart taken out by the help of Chouji and Ino. I would guess it's all a part of plan to let them stay behind, just to get the blood strategy in gear.

But that's as far as I think they would go. Other than that, I doubt that Hidan will ever get beaten by Shikamaru 1 on 1. If Shikamaru ever gets to know Hidan's secret, then he's probably going to be at the verge on death, right before the backup comes.

Talking about backup, it would be great if Naruto vs Hidan battles occurs, but I still think Naruto will get to test his elemental jutsu vs Kakuzu's, while sai and Sakura gets to help Hidan (with Yamato). You see, killing Hidan requires a high IQ AND Kakuzu had something to do with a hokage, a thing Naruto wants to be. So maybe this is another step to take in order to surpass the Hokage (remember Naruto saying that he's going to surpass all the hokages and become the strongest ever?)

And seeing Hidan get all voodoo was kind of creepy, just like you said. I wondered why the hell Shikamaru only looked surprised, but then I remember the theory. Easily predictable (also Kakashi got a hold of Kakuzu's blood when he raikiried him, just as you said >_>). Oh well, I still don't think stabbing Hidan right after he gets out of the circle will help, as Hidan will most probably disable the jutsu right away, thinking the Shikamaru is dead.

And maybe we'll get to see Kakuzu's face instead of Kakashi, happy now? :p

(oh and it seems like dropping the scythe was clever, else it would have been more than just a scratch on the face. And if you have seen the Naruto movie, even if it isn't canon, you would know how he spread those exploding tags. Simply keeps throwing them everywhere, or maybe he had just prepared most of them before the fight began).

matsyes
December 21, 2006, 06:58 AM
ummm i dont know about the fact that shikamaru's plan was over the first time around ... I think he was pretty much expecting that they were not going to get em the first time around...and hence the vial ...If shikamaru thought that kakazu will be cut down the first time he wouldnt have created the contingincies of the vial and i'm sure he's got a few more backups ready :) ... Ino and chouji have been a major disappointment so far ... i was expecting ino to have that other jutsu her dad uses where he controls the actions of the enemy ... but she doesnt have that yet ...and how were they planning to get kakazu's blood without kakashi escapes me ... as for the luck part i think if hidan didnt start the stabbing shika would have done a kagemane and got him to stab himself and i think we are going to see that happen .... but kishimoto is really going for shika's eyes big time these days :P

One Eyed Sharingan
December 21, 2006, 07:07 AM
2. hmm the first Konoha Shinobi he fought was shodai... that's really interesting, and Kakuzu survived.. i guess he had many spare hearts back then...

4. Yeah i really like that pic of Hidan too..... it truly is "nightmare" (before Chritmas!?...yaaay)

6. HA....Kishimoto-sensei i s evil indeed. Hmm the first time Kashi used suijinheki was when he fought Itachi for the first time... though he didn't pull his mask back then (cuz there were water source). Yea it got to be the lesser one of the jutsu (he is low in chakr atm)....

7. poor Kakashi.... it think he'll get back to hospital straight on after this battle.

8. kekekeke i think Hidan is really pissed, and i think he knew that toying with Shikamaru = giving Shika time to think...and that's bad for him

9. yep i' confused too about how the heck Shika got Kakuzu's blood on Hidan's stake... well i just hope it will be explained (briefly, not dragging-ly) though..

10. hmmm!? i don't see Hidan being nervous... he's a blockhead.

Absolutio
December 21, 2006, 07:12 AM
Great comments as always, GK! :D

First of all, as I said in the 337 prediction thread. This net of explosive tags was seen in Naruto's 2nd movie (If I'm not mistaken). So if you wonder how he actually did it, you can check it out at the movie (I think :P )

Your 10th comment, about Hidan must be sensing something's wrong. Aint his voodo jutsu suppose to fade away when he kills his opponet? His body is still at the voodo stat so probably (in Hidan's mind) Shikamaru aint dead?

I'm not sure of it though..
Anyways, happy holidays, and keep on the good work! <3

yeste
December 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
Heya, hope y'all enjoyed the early RAW. We sure didn't have to wait very long this week. I was working on a Chevalier review today too, but didn't expect this chapter to be out so soon, so decided to stop that and get this one out of the way.

Yo!!! You know we all enjoyed it very much!!! I tell you, whenever early raw shows up everyone is really happy!!! :) And you did a review right away… That’s like a bonus pages to the raw!!! Thanks!!!

1. Divide and Conquer? Going to assume that Shikamaru wanted to get out of the area with Hidan so that there was no possibility of interference from Kakuzu's creatures. Don't blame Kakuzu for being incredulous though - an one-on-one battle with Hidan is almost certainly suicide in most cases.

Still, I'm a bit surprised that Kakuzu didn't call out to him "remember, sonny, don't get yourself killed!" again. Heh.
I agree that this was one of the reasons why Shika wanted to take Hidan away form Kakzu, but I also think it was a part of his plan to stop Hidan from seeing that Kakazu is being hit by the curse instead of him!!! Looks like that to me… He wanted to keep the element of surprise!!!
If Hidan found out right away that his jutsu backfired and Shika isn’t dead, Shika wouldn’t have the upper hand. Fortunately now he does! :)

But gotta give Kakuzu credit. Saying that he fought the First Hokage - Yamato's predecessor - and surviving and living on is no mean feat. I don't blame Team 10 for being momentarily awestruck at hearing that, even Kakashi was stunned for a second. Talk about instant psychological intimidation.
This was something so much unbelievable for me when the spoiler came… And it somehow still is… Wow!
I had the same comment about this, just because I was surprised by the fact that someone fought the First, and survived to tell the story probably about a hundred years later. :p
Whenever we get new infos about the powers of the Akatsuki members, I always wonder just how powerfull the leader is…

3. Penned...! Okay, how in the world did Shikamaru throw all these explosive tags all around them once they were alone without setting them off himself? Somebody explain this to me. Also, he was already concentrating his Kagemane on Hidan, right? So... what the heck?
Heh, this was one of the hotspots in the discussion thread. It really surprised me too… I’m willing to write it off as a summoning. ‘cause Shika meddled with a scroll in the last chapter… But, also, it’s possible that he just made Hidan help him in setting up the trap, due to the Kage mane… But probably not likely… :p

4. Oh No! It's Skeletor Again! Pretty obvious which scene in this chapter that Kishimoto worked on drawing the most!
A great scene!!! Just great!!! I loved it!!!

5. Say Hello to My Little Friend! Well, I had predicted last week that we'd see Kakuzu again somewhere along the way because I saw a lot of potential in how he could combine his attacks, and I thought Kishimoto would save that for later.
This probably is his battle experience… He probably knows that Kakashi nor a lot of ninjas can’t use two elements at the same time, let alone two specific elements that are adequate to cancel this combo. Impressive attack, even if it was just used as a decoy…

6. Now You See Me, Now You Don't...! Figures. Just when Kakashi finally used something other than a Raikiri or the Sharingan in battle, it also involved a bit of a tease as he actually pulled his mask down in order to perform the jutsu.

Another cool move by the Sexy junin…. Nahhh… We’ll never see his face! :p

7. Have a Heart, Man! Alright, I don't USUALLY like it when Kakashi is being slammed to the ground by anybody, but I've got to admit Kakuzu was just plain bad-ass this page. Grabbing ahold of Kakashi in the air and just throwing him to the ground, and then going straight for the kill like nobody's business.

I've also got to think that Kishimoto figured that the Kakashi fans might not like this scene, so had our greedy Akatsuki seem more formidable by relating his battle with the Shodai. Then there's the experience that he probably accumulated through all these decades. Though it wouldn't probably have mattered to me - I already figured any one of the Akatsuki were going to be absolute monsters to take on one-on-one, even for Kakashi.
This is interesting thought GK! Never really considered it this way… But I must say that you’re probably right!!! Kishimoto does need to think how will fans react on the events…
Very nice perspective on this!

8. No Prelude to Death...? I'm a bit surprised - no, make that VERY shocked - that Hidan went for an instant kill, without even taunting or demeaning Shikamaru.

I expected Hidan to toy around with Shikamaru at least, and that's why I feel a bit like his plan (as it would be revealed shortly) had a high risk associated with it. I mean, pretend as much as Shikamaru wants to, if Hidan had bothered to even look at whether Shikamaru was coughing up blood or not, he would have quickly figured something was amiss.
I’m surprised about this too, but I think he did it so fast to avoid being captured by Shika’s kagemane again. That would probably prolong the situation some more… So let’s say that Hidan was being practical!? :) :) :)

9. In the Nick of Time...! Man, and Kakuzu was just ABOUT to pierce Kakashi's chest and pull his heart out, too.

Of course, maybe it was just a bunshin. But I personally would hate to see it being one here, because it'd be seen as a bit too much of a plot device.
You think there was no time for Kakashi to MS Kakazu and save himself? :)
Guess we’ll never know. :p

10. Curtains Time for Hidan? Of course we knew Shikamaru wasn't just going to let the information that Asuma had sacrificed himself to obtain for battling these guys go to waste. We knew that.

I did like how Hidan seemed to almost sense something was a little strange and becoming nervous there though. Or maybe he's just feeling a murderous aura from Shikamaru...!
What will happen next? What will Shika do? And it will be in color too!!! :)
Can’t remember the last time I wanted to see what happens next as much as now!

Predictions: I think we'll be seeing a battle rage between Shikamaru and Hidan while Kakuzu gets away from Kakashi and get a heart from one of his creatures to survive. I'm HOPING we'll see some action from Chouji and Ino in the meanwhile, possibly to take out a creature's "mask" while Kakuzu's still unsteady on his foot.
Those are some nice predictions… and probably are going to come true… I hope!

Luckas
December 21, 2006, 11:31 AM
Early raw and great comments, it's an happy day.
I really liked this chapter. although his little flaws. I think Kishimoto will explain how Shika used Kakuzu's blood and I believe Hidan wanted only to kill Shika quicly before he pull another trick on him, so he killed him soon after performing the vodoo jutsu. And now we could think Kakashi let Kakuzu to kick him on purpose.

woush
December 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
Hidan will see that shikamaru isnt dead yet, so he's gonna keep stabbing himself... which will prolly kill Kakuzu :D

Stiluz
December 21, 2006, 02:09 PM
Great comments, couple of things though:

#3: I don't really think Shikamaru thought that plan through. I mean, if Hidan sets off the exploding tags, they could kill Shikamaru, while Hidan would be standing there laughing.

#10: Curtains for Hidan - or for Shikamaru? Notice that the vial seemingly has a needle attached to it. Could Shikamaru have injected the blood in himself? Though, that'd be a big waste, getting mortally wounded/killed just to take out Kakuzus heart. Still, I like the idea of "Kill me, kill him".

check0r
December 21, 2006, 03:32 PM
1.i think that hidan isn't that good in fighting. We have never seen using him a jutsu and he doesnt really seem to be strong ok his strong point is his immortility.

2.it should have faded but it didnt (and i think it wont fade till kauzu is dead) so i think that he will notice that that wasnt shikas blood (or he wont coz he IS a blockhead and will kill kakuzu ><)

3. shika will take control of him and will kill kakuzu.

4. or ino will take over hidan but i dont thinks since she isnt immortsl it would be difficult to stab hidan heart and her heart.

5. may kakashi will rip off with his raikir (maybe with a rasengan would be funny to <3) or naruto will come out of nowhere and will test his new invented justsu on hidan (PULVERSIZATION this will be fun hahaha)

and at least i hope that they will only just rip off his head and destroy his body so he must live on with his block head lol. anyone know futurama?

Anax
December 21, 2006, 03:34 PM
Hey there, Phil, long time no post :darn

Just one question: What do we know about the first other than his ability to use Mokuton jutsu? Why is it such a surprise that Kakuzu managed to survive an encounter with him? Is it a certain jutsu that eludes me at the moment or just the implied power behind the title "Hokage"?

On another note I'll agree with the above posters in that Hidan doesn't seem at all concerned about Kakuzu, rather blissfully ignorant. Also, Kishimoto does seem to aim for Shikamaru's eyes a lot, and the whole vengeance theme has really given him a "coolness boost". Thank you Kishimoto for favoring my favorite character, please don't kill him next year ;)

Lastly, the chapter feels rushed... Notice that, among the previously mentioned things, this would be the second time Hidan fails to pray to his god after using the voodoo jutsu!! :o

Anyway, nice comments as always Phil ;)

SilveryShadows
December 21, 2006, 06:51 PM
3. I assumed that Shikamaru did that(explosive tags) before the battle begun, so he lead Hidan to that place...
But after looking at it again, seems that they were thrown after the arrived. ah...

5. Kinda shows that if Naruto and Sasuke ever paired up, they could create a very powerful jutsu...

8. I suppose Hidan didn't want to hesitate to kill Shikamaru... Shikamaru was close to beating him before, so I think Hidan wouldn't want to waste time in case Shikamaru uses Kagemane to bring Hidan out of the circle.

9. Methinks that Shikamaru somehow cut his own cheek and spilled Kakuzu's blood on Hidan's blade. So, Shika rejected Kakuzu's blood from the veil as Hidan slashes his blade at him, while giving himself a cut(using the needle part)? Plus, since he has the veil in his hand... Shikamaru 'tries' to block, so his hands are hidden. I don't know..

I don't believe Shikamaru's Kagemane is only 5 minutes. Even if he's used a lot of chakra or something, methinks he should be able to hold it longer. So releasing it only was trying to trick Hidan...?

Ninjas are good actors. They do a lot of acting, and faking deaths, amount other things..

Well, with the one I'm re-reading now... "Well, Kakuzu should be finished by now as well." Finished he is..
Or not yet. I don't know.. His other hearts must provide some usefulness other than creating 'ghosts'.

Great comments as always.
Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy Holidays as well!

glasskatana
December 21, 2006, 11:22 PM
I have only one comment for now. In the translation that I have, it says that Kakuzu takes the hearts of shinobi stronger than him while they are still alive. >.> If they're stronger than him...how did he manage to rip out their hearts.

Also, I'd like to know what would happen if Kakuzu stole Hidan's heart. Would be gain Hidan's immortality power. Would it just be a normal heart that Hidan (being immortal, or at least close to it) would grow back. If so, then really they work more perfectly than possible as a team. Every time Kakuzu had one of his hearts broken...pun not intended, he could just re-stock with one of Hidan's hearts once they finished off their enemy.

That's all for now, mostly action filled chapter so not much to talk about or discuss in depth. Great comments as always and have a nice Christmas. :)

venicia777
December 22, 2006, 01:27 AM
5) Now you realize why i said last week in your comments (i hope) that the way Kakuzu is dishing out jutsu's and showing us his strengths-- it is highly probable that he will ultimately die in this arc. and probably by an elementally mastered jutsu (KAZENGAN ergo Naruto)

7-9) Now you see why i almost cried when i saw those three guys leaving on this mission. i told myself-- this is not a sound four arc-- these guys are dead for sure. and even when Kakashi joined i wasnt convinced one bit.

i am not sure why, but many are either intentionally neglecting it or just dont want to face facts. Kakashi's heart was almost ripped out.

i have seen arguments that maybe shikamaru and kakashi planned /acted that part out so that they could put off Hidan and Kakuzu from realizing what was happening. But it was pure luck.

that is one thing why i like your rating. Why did Hidan's attack happen exactly when Kakashi's heart was about to be ripped out? a little too suspicious for my liking-- too lucky :o

i am soo glad though that Kakashi has a break to escape that Kakuzu. tHAT Kakuzu -- Even if he didnt win-- fought the Shodai and is still alive. I hope no one is looking down upon him.

i think part of peoples blatant optimism in this fight is that they know Kishimoto will never kill Kakashi or Shikamaru. if it were other characters-- the reactions of "kakuzu is gonna get killed" "shikamaru is going to destroy Hidan" will be totally different.

Why are Ino and CHouji being presented this way? You know, it looks exactly like in the past. it was Shikamaru of team 10 that got the limelight, and then later Chouji got his chance in the save sasuke arc. Ino on the other hand-- meh!! i like Kishimoto but it is weird-- soo few females in Naruto have being portrayed as strong- pfft :yelling

10) up till now, akatsuki members have being portrayed as strong by one measure or so. i am glad that because of Hidan's character he gets soo easily manipulated by the strategically smart mind of Shika. That has certainly elevated shika to an even higher pedestal in fans eyes.

but even with this, i will really be shocked or should i say disappointed if shika alone manages to kill Hidan. Although i want at least one of these guys to die at the hands of a member or all of Team 10-- not Naruto.

GK-- this is the first time i agree with all of your points-- 100%. Nice Christmas present- eh!!!

I have only one comment for now. In the translation that I have, it says that Kakuzu takes the hearts of shinobi stronger than him while they are still alive. >.> If they're stronger than him...how did he manage to rip out their hearts.

I have used similar expressions many times. To me i the subject in that sentence is "shinobi", In terms of strength, in general shinobi are either weak or strong. Thus the strong ones are stronger. Taking the hearts of ever stronger shinobi to me means taking the hearts of strong shinobi as well as with the next shinobi stronger than the previous one

Gold Knight
December 22, 2006, 07:56 AM
Hmm, I thought I posted a response earlier, I must have stopped midway and forgot and closed the window before finishing :/ This admin stuff can be distracting at times.

Oh well, here goes again:

@ Rurouni Gio - glad you started posting your thoughts ^^ Yeah, I agree that Kakuzu was taking Shikamaru too lightly, and it was odd that he did, because he had just seen Shikamaru devise a winning strategy against Hidan in the first battle that would have defeated him if Kakuzu hadn't stepped in...

Hm, Kage level or not, I don't know if Kakuzu would have taken on the Shodai if he didn't at least feel confident about beating him. Although, the battle could have taken place before either one had progressed a lot in their training. Just don't know enough on that point yet.

I'll have to watch the second Naruto movie to see what all this is about the scene with the explosive tags. Still if Kishimoto took his cue from the movie, that kinda ruins it for me if it's not original. But oh well, whatever.

4.-If that is a side effect, then the weakness of his jutsu could be hidden there?

If it was Hidan's own blood that he tasted by accident, it might be the way to kill him. That's one way that I bet he could die.

But, something is sure, this proves that Kakashi can use Water Element without Water.

It does at that ^^

7.- Indeed, this scene hurt me a bit as a Kakashi fan i am. As for the lucky part, i don't really think that if the plan had failed that would be the end for Kakashi, he would've somehow managed to get away, ohterwise, he woudn't reamin so calm there, he had thought of an alternive way i think.

Or he could have just gotten the wind knocked out of him :/

8.- Indeed, he went just too quick for a vital spot. Was he pissed off or something?

Knowing Hidan, the madder he got, I'd have thought he would have tormented Shikamaru more. He did get pretty angry that he got his head chopped off by Shikamaru after all - but maybe he took his frustration out on Asuma and felt relieved from that...

9.-As i said above, don't think Kakashi would've died even if Shikamaru hadn't performed that in time, that would be just anti-Kakashi-like. If i were Kakashi i would open at least the First gate (The Gate of life), which restores Chakra, Stamina, and heals wounds, then i'd take the opportunity of Kakuzu's pain to use a Successfull MS of his, or a Raikiri just in the head. (Since he opened the first gate he'd had enough chakra to perform whatever he wants).

Heh, good memory to remember Kakashi could open the First Gate. We've never seen him actually do that... well, doesn't much good if he got his heart ripped out, though... and it was pretty tough to struggle out of Kakuzu's tendrils, I'd think. I also think he has to "concentrate intensely" to make his MS work, and he wasn't getting the time to do that here.

As for Predictions, i predict that Shikamaru will make Hidan use the Vodoo again with Kagemane, but this time it won't work property for some reason, that's when Hidan tries to get this time Shika's Blood, but falls in an Unpredictable second stage of the trap, while Kakashi, Chouji and Ino Fight Kakuzu, where i think Chouji an dIno together will take 1 Hollow, and Kakashi will finish the other 2 later on, (I hope Kakashi opens the First gate and restores chakra, then goes on owining the Hollows, well... if he owns them without needing to restore chakra i won't complain :3). Or a back up will come when there is just one Hollow left. As for Hidan, i still insist that his weakness is Genjutsu :P.

I'm just curious to know what Shikamaru's got in mind with that net of explosive tags. As you said, "unpredictable" - it's pretty nice when you have to think about what's coming ^^

Thanks for the fast comments GK!

No problemo!

I too think that Kakuzu still has the advantage. He still has 3 hearts, remember? Seeing how his jutsus work, I would guess that one of the doll's hearts would do just like his hands and get to him with cables. I wonder which one though... But somehow I get the feeling that Hidan will know before killing Kakuzu another time. Maybe Shikamaru will do like any other manga character and explain what he did with the blood and all... I don't hope so.

I agree that Hidan'll probably figure out that Shikamaru's tricked him. Also, now that Kakuzu will only have three hearts, that means now that it's a 3-on-3 battle (Ino, Chouji, Kakashi vs. the three hearts) which evens the odds a bit.

But that's as far as I think they would go. Other than that, I doubt that Hidan will ever get beaten by Shikamaru 1 on 1. If Shikamaru ever gets to know Hidan's secret, then he's probably going to be at the verge on death, right before the backup comes.

Shikamaru does seem to live rather dangerously a lot of times, for such a lazy kid. Heh.

Talking about backup, it would be great if Naruto vs Hidan battles occurs, but I still think Naruto will get to test his elemental jutsu vs Kakuzu's, while sai and Sakura gets to help Hidan (with Yamato). You see, killing Hidan requires a high IQ AND Kakuzu had something to do with a hokage, a thing Naruto wants to be. So maybe this is another step to take in order to surpass the Hokage (remember Naruto saying that he's going to surpass all the hokages and become the strongest ever?)

I'm actually starting to think that by the time backup comes on the scene it'll probably just be to do a finishing touch - to keep at least one of the combatants from getting killed and finish either a desperate Hidan or Kakuzu off for good.

And seeing Hidan get all voodoo was kind of creepy, just like you said. I wondered why the hell Shikamaru only looked surprised, but then I remember the theory. Easily predictable (also Kakashi got a hold of Kakuzu's blood when he raikiried him, just as you said >_>). Oh well, I still don't think stabbing Hidan right after he gets out of the circle will help, as Hidan will most probably disable the jutsu right away, thinking the Shikamaru is dead.

Maybe Shikamaru actually wasn't sure if Hidan had gotten his blood or Kakuzu's. After all, he did get cut on the cheek too. I wonder if he was actually nervous at the time.

(oh and it seems like dropping the scythe was clever, else it would have been more than just a scratch on the face. And if you have seen the Naruto movie, even if it isn't canon, you would know how he spread those exploding tags. Simply keeps throwing them everywhere, or maybe he had just prepared most of them before the fight began).

Nope, haven't seen the movie, guess I need to check it out ^^;

ummm i dont know about the fact that shikamaru's plan was over the first time around ... I think he was pretty much expecting that they were not going to get em the first time around...and hence the vial ...If shikamaru thought that kakazu will be cut down the first time he wouldnt have created the contingincies of the vial and i'm sure he's got a few more backups ready :)

Well, I don't think Kakashi's direct attack on Kakuzu's back was part of Shikamaru's plan at all - it was just something Kakashi took the incentive on because he saw an opening in analyzing Kakuzu's doton jutsu. Although I do think that they were planning to at least try to get Kakuzu's blood either way, either through injury or a fatal blow.

Right now I'd say Shikamaru's Plan A is in effect.. but I agree that he's probably got a follow-up plan, particularly since he seems to have anticipated that he would be facing Hidan alone in the forest. I agree with you the plan isn't over yet.

... Ino and chouji have been a major disappointment so far ... i was expecting ino to have that other jutsu her dad uses where he controls the actions of the enemy ... but she doesnt have that yet ...

That was probably too cheap a power for Ino to have yet. And it might have involved her willpower being able to take over the opponent's anyway - and I would have had a hard time seeing Ino defeat either Kakuzu or Hidan in terms of willpower.

and how were they planning to get kakazu's blood without kakashi escapes me ... as for the luck part i think if hidan didnt start the stabbing shika would have done a kagemane and got him to stab himself and i think we are going to see that happen .... but kishimoto is really going for shika's eyes big time these days :P

Remember, Shikamaru did have them both in the grasp of his Kagemane at the beginning. The plan broke down when Kakuzu escaped from Hidan's attack. I believe that Shikamaru was trying to get the blood originally that way.

That's why Kakashi probably took the incentive on Kakuzu as he did.

2. hmm the first Konoha Shinobi he fought was shodai... that's really interesting, and Kakuzu survived.. i guess he had many spare hearts back then...

4. Yeah i really like that pic of Hidan too..... it truly is "nightmare" (before Chritmas!?...yaaay)

6. HA....Kishimoto-sensei i s evil indeed. Hmm the first time Kashi used suijinheki was when he fought Itachi for the first time... though he didn't pull his mask back then (cuz there were water source). Yea it got to be the lesser one of the jutsu (he is low in chakr atm)....

7. poor Kakashi.... it think he'll get back to hospital straight on after this battle.

8. kekekeke i think Hidan is really pissed, and i think he knew that toying with Shikamaru = giving Shika time to think...and that's bad for him

9. yep i' confused too about how the heck Shika got Kakuzu's blood on Hidan's stake... well i just hope it will be explained (briefly, not dragging-ly) though..

10. hmmm!? i don't see Hidan being nervous... he's a blockhead.

Heh, don't have much to add to what you said there One Eyed, thanks for commenting tho.

Great comments as always, GK! :D

No problem Absulutio!

First of all, as I said in the 337 prediction thread. This net of explosive tags was seen in Naruto's 2nd movie (If I'm not mistaken). So if you wonder how he actually did it, you can check it out at the movie (I think :P )

I'll have to download it now, yeah. That'll be one of the things I'll do this weekend.

Your 10th comment, about Hidan must be sensing something's wrong. Aint his voodo jutsu suppose to fade away when he kills his opponet? His body is still at the voodo stat so probably (in Hidan's mind) Shikamaru aint dead?

I'm not sure of it though..
Anyways, happy holidays, and keep on the good work! <3

That's an awesome observation, that's probably likely why Hidan might be perplexed right now.

Happy holidays to you too dude.

Yo!!! You know we all enjoyed it very much!!! I tell you, whenever early raw shows up everyone is really happy!!! :) And you did a review right away… That’s like a bonus pages to the raw!!! Thanks!!!

Heh, thanks, I try! Glad you're still enjoying them.

I agree that this was one of the reasons why Shika wanted to take Hidan away form Kakzu, but I also think it was a part of his plan to stop Hidan from seeing that Kakazu is being hit by the curse instead of him!!! Looks like that to me… He wanted to keep the element of surprise!!!

Good point. With Hidan's back turned to him now, it does give Shikamaru a chance to strategize how to take him out.

This was something so much unbelievable for me when the spoiler came… And it somehow still is… Wow!
I had the same comment about this, just because I was surprised by the fact that someone fought the First, and survived to tell the story probably about a hundred years later. :p

Heh, yeah.

Whenever we get new infos about the powers of the Akatsuki members, I always wonder just how powerfull the leader is…

I still actually think he's a Kage of one the countries (Cloud?), or at least a former Kage.

Heh, this was one of the hotspots in the discussion thread. It really surprised me too… I’m willing to write it off as a summoning. ‘cause Shika meddled with a scroll in the last chapter… But, also, it’s possible that he just made Hidan help him in setting up the trap, due to the Kage mane… But probably not likely… :p

I'd go with a summoning I suppose. But it still seems like something Ten-Ten would've done instead of Shikamaru. And if it WAS a summoning, Kishimoto at least could have showed how it went like.

I’m surprised about this too, but I think he did it so fast to avoid being captured by Shika’s kagemane again. That would probably prolong the situation some more… So let’s say that Hidan was being practical!? :) :) :)

Still out of character for him, especially considering he was screaming bloody murder at Shikamaru for a while. Oh well.

You think there was no time for Kakashi to MS Kakazu and save himself? :)
Guess we’ll never know. :p

Actually, no. I think Kakashi has to have the time and concentration to focus using his MS. And Kakuzu would see it right away and attempt to deliver a finishing blow.

What will happen next? What will Shika do? And it will be in color too!!! :)
Can’t remember the last time I wanted to see what happens next as much as now!
Those are some nice predictions… and probably are going to come true… I hope!

In Color? :O Cool. Hopefully we'll see Hidan and Kakuzu in color.

Early raw and great comments, it's an happy day.
I really liked this chapter. although his little flaws. I think Kishimoto will explain how Shika used Kakuzu's blood and I believe Hidan wanted only to kill Shika quicly before he pull another trick on him, so he killed him soon after performing the vodoo jutsu. And now we could think Kakashi let Kakuzu to kick him on purpose.

Thanks ^^ And I do hope Kishimoto explains the part how Shikamaru got Kakuzu's blood on Hidan (probably will, though - it's an excuse to drag out the next chapter a bit >.> )

Hidan will see that shikamaru isnt dead yet, so he's gonna keep stabbing himself... which will prolly kill Kakuzu :D

Hehe. That'd drive Kakuzu crazy.

Great comments, couple of things though:

#3: I don't really think Shikamaru thought that plan through. I mean, if Hidan sets off the exploding tags, they could kill Shikamaru, while Hidan would be standing there laughing.

True... o.O Maybe some are actually fakes though.

#10: Curtains for Hidan - or for Shikamaru? Notice that the vial seemingly has a needle attached to it. Could Shikamaru have injected the blood in himself? Though, that'd be a big waste, getting mortally wounded/killed just to take out Kakuzus heart. Still, I like the idea of "Kill me, kill him".

I don't think Shikamaru would take the risk of believing that Hidan would actually care about Kakuzu being killed. Still, intriguing point about the needle.. hmm.

1.i think that hidan isn't that good in fighting. We have never seen using him a jutsu and he doesnt really seem to be strong ok his strong point is his immortility.

Well, I DO think Hidan is pretty good at physical combat. He went against Asuma, and had no fear going against Kakashi, either. But yes, it almost seems like he may be just like Rock Lee in the sense that he only can "transform" his body (as with the Gates in Rock Lee's case...) - maybe that "voodoo jutsu" is more like taijutsu than ninjutsu, actually.

2.it should have faded but it didnt (and i think it wont fade till kauzu is dead) so i think that he will notice that that wasnt shikas blood (or he wont coz he IS a blockhead and will kill kakuzu ><)

Heh, if Hidan did that, the Akatsuki are going to kick him out of the group.

3. shika will take control of him and will kill kakuzu.

Well, that'd involve doing physical damage to himself as well, so I'm not sure that'll happen. Although, good point on Shikamaru being able to take control of Hidan and forcing him to do something. Plus I suppose he could control Hidan to hit himself with a scythe whereas Shikamaru would have nothing in his hand. You could be right.

Talk about turning the tables...!

4. or ino will take over hidan but i dont thinks since she isnt immortsl it would be difficult to stab hidan heart and her heart.

Yeah, I don't think that'll be the case. Ino will probably be assigned to try to take out of the heart creatures with some other method.

and at least i hope that they will only just rip off his head and destroy his body so he must live on with his block head lol. anyone know futurama?

I don't watch Futurma, but that would be a fitting fate for Hidan for sure.

Hey there, Phil, long time no post :darn

Hey :D

Just one question: What do we know about the first other than his ability to use Mokuton jutsu? Why is it such a surprise that Kakuzu managed to survive an encounter with him? Is it a certain jutsu that eludes me at the moment or just the implied power behind the title "Hokage"?

If you saw Shodai using his Mokuton Jutsu in a fighting game, he was amazingly lethal with it. He can literally drown you into a forest. That's why I think it would have been crazy if Kakuzu had the power to face off against him.

And I tend to think Shodai was probably not the benevolent kind with enemies because he did have to start a country all by himself - in one of the biggest, more attractive lands in the world - leading me to believe he had to defeat and kill a lot of people before he started Konohagakure and became Hokage.

On another note I'll agree with the above posters in that Hidan doesn't seem at all concerned about Kakuzu, rather blissfully ignorant. Also, Kishimoto does seem to aim for Shikamaru's eyes a lot, and the whole vengeance theme has really given him a "coolness boost". Thank you Kishimoto for favoring my favorite character, please don't kill him next year ;)

I do like the way Shikamaru's being developed a whole lot. He's turning into a warrior before our very eyes. I just hope he doesn't get bitter.

Lastly, the chapter feels rushed... Notice that, among the previously mentioned things, this would be the second time Hidan fails to pray to his god after using the voodoo jutsu!! :o

Anyway, nice comments as always Phil ;)

Thanks, and yeah, the chapter did feel rushed. I suppose that's why I didn't give it a perfect rating. And I think Hidan doesn't utter his prayer until all his opponents are demolished - which might have been the reason why he was so eager to come back to fight them again. His job wasn't finished yet.

3. I assumed that Shikamaru did that(explosive tags) before the battle begun, so he lead Hidan to that place...
But after looking at it again, seems that they were thrown after the arrived. ah...

I really don't know how Shikamaru and Hidan could have entered that place if they had set up the tags beforehand. But who knows, they're ninja after all... would've been awkward to have to not just worry about his own entry but Hidan's too, though.

5. Kinda shows that if Naruto and Sasuke ever paired up, they could create a very powerful jutsu...

Mm.. a little foreshadowing there, maybe.

8. I suppose Hidan didn't want to hesitate to kill Shikamaru... Shikamaru was close to beating him before, so I think Hidan wouldn't want to waste time in case Shikamaru uses Kagemane to bring Hidan out of the circle.

I still think it was out of character, but oh well, I'll have to say it was a smart move on Hidan's part though. That'd be the way to stop a genius like Shikamaru by landing an instant kill right away. (Maybe Hidan was more concerned about getting his own battle finished before Kakuzu's done with his, since he had just been insulted by him. I'd go along with that.)

9. Methinks that Shikamaru somehow cut his own cheek and spilled Kakuzu's blood on Hidan's blade. So, Shika rejected Kakuzu's blood from the veil as Hidan slashes his blade at him, while giving himself a cut(using the needle part)? Plus, since he has the veil in his hand... Shikamaru 'tries' to block, so his hands are hidden. I don't know..

Weird, though.

I don't believe Shikamaru's Kagemane is only 5 minutes. Even if he's used a lot of chakra or something, methinks he should be able to hold it longer. So releasing it only was trying to trick Hidan...?

Ninjas are good actors. They do a lot of acting, and faking deaths, amount other things.. [/quote]

Yeah, you could very well be right.

Well, with the one I'm re-reading now... "Well, Kakuzu should be finished by now as well." Finished he is..
Or not yet. I don't know.. His other hearts must provide some usefulness other than creating 'ghosts'.

Great comments as always.
Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy Holidays as well!

Thanks, you too ^^

Backstabbing? Sasori probably did the same thing to the Third Kazekage.

Also, I'd like to know what would happen if Kakuzu stole Hidan's heart. Would be gain Hidan's immortality power. Would it just be a normal heart that Hidan (being immortal, or at least close to it) would grow back. If so, then really they work more perfectly than possible as a team. Every time Kakuzu had one of his hearts broken...pun not intended, he could just re-stock with one of Hidan's hearts once they finished off their enemy.

Interesting question, I don't know. But I'll bet you Kakuzu has tried to take Hidan's heart before, and Hidan, who still wouldn't have died, would demand it back and fought him until he would. :XD

That's all for now, mostly action filled chapter so not much to talk about or discuss in depth. Great comments as always and have a nice Christmas. :)

Thanks!

5) Now you realize why i said last week in your comments (i hope) that the way Kakuzu is dishing out jutsu's and showing us his strengths-- it is highly probable that he will ultimately die in this arc. and probably by an elementally mastered jutsu (KAZENGAN ergo Naruto)

Yup, with this chapter I'm starting to agree with ya, venicia ^^

7-9) Now you see why i almost cried when i saw those three guys leaving on this mission. i told myself-- this is not a sound four arc-- these guys are dead for sure. and even when Kakashi joined i wasnt convinced one bit.

i am not sure why, but many are either intentionally neglecting it or just dont want to face facts. Kakashi's heart was almost ripped out.

i have seen arguments that maybe shikamaru and kakashi planned /acted that part out so that they could put off Hidan and Kakuzu from realizing what was happening. But it was pure luck.

that is one thing why i like your rating. Why did Hidan's attack happen exactly when Kakashi's heart was about to be ripped out? a little too suspicious for my liking-- too lucky :o

i am soo glad though that Kakashi has a break to escape that Kakuzu. tHAT Kakuzu -- Even if he didnt win-- fought the Shodai and is still alive. I hope no one is looking down upon him.

i think part of peoples blatant optimism in this fight is that they know Kishimoto will never kill Kakashi or Shikamaru. if it were other characters-- the reactions of "kakuzu is gonna get killed" "shikamaru is going to destroy Hidan" will be totally different.

Why are Ino and CHouji being presented this way? You know, it looks exactly like in the past. it was Shikamaru of team 10 that got the limelight, and then later Chouji got his chance in the save sasuke arc. Ino on the other hand-- meh!! i like Kishimoto but it is weird-- soo few females in Naruto have being portrayed as strong- pfft :yelling

Well, maybe Ino will surprise. But although I've always wanted to see Shikamaru and Kakashi work together, I guess I can understand why you didn't want them to be the focus. But it's still better than Naruto and Sakura - neither of whom I think will EVER be killed in the series.

10) up till now, akatsuki members have being portrayed as strong by one measure or so. i am glad that because of Hidan's character he gets soo easily manipulated by the strategically smart mind of Shika. That has certainly elevated shika to an even higher pedestal in fans eyes.

I don't know how more high Shikamaru can climb to be honest with you. If he gets any better than he is now, he'll definitely be jounin-level. In fact maybe he already is.

I hope we find out how they get promoted to jounin soon. Shikamaru could be our means of finding out right now.

but even with this, i will really be shocked or should i say disappointed if shika alone manages to kill Hidan. Although i want at least one of these guys to die at the hands of a member or all of Team 10-- not Naruto.

Well, that would be the ultimate revenge - to beat Hidan all by himself. But either solo or with teamwork, I agree that I want to see Team 10 take out one of them. At least Naruto wouldn't have to do all the work. ^^

GK-- this is the first time i agree with all of your points-- 100%. Nice Christmas present- eh!!!

Really? lol, nice.

I have used similar expressions many times. To me i the subject in that sentence is "shinobi", In terms of strength, in general shinobi are either weak or strong. Thus the strong ones are stronger. Taking the hearts of ever stronger shinobi to me means taking the hearts of strong shinobi as well as with the next shinobi stronger than the previous one

That could have been what Kakuzu meant. ^^

chvis002
December 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
Isn't it abit risky to asume that Hidans jutsu isn't limited by distance? It should be or else Akasuki should fokusing on getting blod samples from people and kill them from miles away. Not to mention that none of it make sence

glasskatana
December 22, 2006, 01:21 PM
Well, it's time for a crackhead prediction. I don't know if this has already been said, but I'm going to put it out there anyway.

I think there was a good reason why Shikamaru planted all these explosive tags everywhere. Now that Hidan has activated his jutsu against Kakuzu, all Shikamaru has to do is set off all those explosive tags and Kakuzu's a gonner, or at least he'll get rid of 1 or 2 more of his 3 remaining hearts.

Oh, and just what were those things that fell out of Shikamaru's pouch. They look like contact cases. :nuts

weixiaobao
December 22, 2006, 01:42 PM
hmmm... i just realize how hard a commentor job is (especially Naruto)
Thanx for another Naruto's 10 comments.... X)

2nd i think he (kakuzu) probably about 95 years old... so probably barely twice oro's age...
(he may fought against 1st hokage but how old is he at the time (14 or like 20 or something) oh maybe even older...
-maybe shika improve on his jutsu so he can use it much faster and more efficient..

3rd i think the explosive tag just making Hidan confused and not pay attention about the detail (like the blood) and hidan kinda fear shika from the last exchange so he want to finished shika quickly and failed into the trap.. The explosive also maybe a second plan to bring hidan down...

7th i agree with u on that choji and ino kinda useless in this chapter, most disappointing...

8th i think it kinda lucky but not really, since shika know hidan gonna used the attack right away, but shika assume that kaka can handle kaku for a while but he was wrong, kaku just a bit too strong for kaka...

9th i see the end kakuzu... noooooooooooooooooooo...

Look forward for the next chapter's comments... X)

venicia777
December 22, 2006, 02:09 PM
Well, it's time for a crackhead prediction. I don't know if this has already been said, but I'm going to put it out there anyway.

I think there was a good reason why Shikamaru planted all these explosive tags everywhere. Now that Hidan has activated his jutsu against Kakuzu, all Shikamaru has to do is set off all those explosive tags and Kakuzu's a gonner, or at least he'll get rid of 1 or 2 more of his 3 remaining hearts.

Nice idea. i have thought of that tool. But the question that makes me doubt that a little is that if so how will shikamaru protect himself inside the blast perimeter? and another question: will Shikamaru escape that explosive tags interior and set them off or what?

i am assuming he doesnt want to kill himself. and also after seeing what Kakuzu's body was all about--4 hearts and 3 ghosts-- before he and Hidan moved further away- what if killing Kakuzu through Hidan's jutsu doesnt work? or at least it could weaken Kakuzu somewhat ergo one of his hearts getting destroyed.

SilveryShadows
December 22, 2006, 03:29 PM
I really don't know how Shikamaru and Hidan could have entered that place if they had set up the tags beforehand. But who knows, they're ninja after all... would've been awkward to have to not just worry about his own entry but Hidan's too, though.
That theory of mine isn't right. Since, on that page, the 1st panel on the right, second 'line', shows the Shuriken hitting the tree.(I hope. I don't understand Japanese to understand the sound effect.) It'd probably take more space to show more detail of how Shikamaru did it, so, that's enough right methinks.

Interesting that someone mentioned that some tags might be fake... We've seen Shikamaru used many fake explosive tags already, so quite possible.

But it's still better than Naruto and Sakura - neither of whom I think will EVER be killed in the series.
I've always thought that if Naruto were to die, he'd die in some heroic way, and thus ending the series.. And if Sakura were to die, I see her as a sacrifice to save Naruto... but that'd be near the end too.
I hope they won't die though. I don't want to see good characters die.

Rurouni Gio
December 22, 2006, 04:17 PM
Hi again ~. Just two things to point out.

1.-When i said that if i were Kakashi i would open the First Gate, and then go on Raikiring/MSing, i didn't mean right then when he was about to get his heart taken, but now, that things have calmed down and Kakuzu is pain from Hidan's Attack.

2.-Remember when Kakashi was worn out 'cause he was climbing a mountain one handed and with a Rock roped on his back?, and went complaining for being out of fit?, in that moment he opened the First gate to restore his Stamina, and power up a bit, so he jumped what was left, and met with Sasuke. So he was shown to open it, but only in training. (i guess it hasn't been necessary 'till now to open any gate, besides the time he fought Itachi, and really didn't have the time to try it, he got owned too quickly <.<). In fact, i have a theory, that leads me to think that Kakashi can open 5 Gates, but it won't never happen so i'm not posting it xP.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1192/naruto11307iu6.jpg
This is when Kakashi opens the first gate

Predator
December 22, 2006, 05:00 PM
Just to mention, what I didn't find in these posts .....

Shikamaru was never wounded in the first place.
That's why Hidans jutsu had no effect on him. Those who say that he was cut just haven't noticed some tiny details. Like the fact that his blood in the cheek was spilled from the vial, that contained blood from Kakuzu. I can't believe that you all missed such an obvious thing. :p

Check the last frame, for example ..... What do you see? Any scar on Shikamaru? .... I see only some bruises. :amuse

SilveryShadows
December 22, 2006, 06:02 PM

That's why Hidans jutsu had no effect on him. Those who say that he was cut just haven't noticed some tiny details. Like the fact that his blood in the cheek was spilled from the vial, that contained blood from Kakuzu. I can't believe that you all missed such an obvious thing. :p

Check the last frame, for example ..... What do you see? Any scar on Shikamaru? .... I see only some bruises. :amuse

Ah. Not someone who pays attention to details, ever.
(What I thought before was Shikamaru would give himself a cut, just to fake show that he got a cut...)
I assume this was directed at me, since I mentioned cuts. hm......

Predator
December 22, 2006, 06:13 PM
I assume this was directed at me, since I mentioned cuts. hm......

Nah ....it was was told in general, without a certain direction. :tem

After all, even Ken-san hasn't noticed it. So I decided to post and clear things up.

SilveryShadows
December 22, 2006, 08:04 PM
Nah ....it was was told in general, without a certain direction. :tem

After all, even Ken-san hasn't noticed it. So I decided to post and clear things up.

Ah, well.. Since I remember my thoughts the best, and I know I have a theory about a cut.....

Thank you for pointing that out, about there's no actual wound. =)

bittman
December 22, 2006, 11:59 PM
I am loving this fight against the two 'immortal' Akatsuki very much, and have been following your comments throughout it. You were right on the money last week which impressed me alot. What slightly annoyed me about the chapter is how skillful and quick Shikamaru must have been to have used a syringe to drop Kakazu's blood on that tiny stake. That plain annoyed me. Also, very annoyed at a lack of Chouji or Ino attacks. I expected that the moment Shikamaru went away with Hidan we would stop seeing 'shock screens' of Ino or Chouji so that they could then help Shika kick ass against Hidan.

I agree with your predictions, but there is one thing I have to wonder about with Kakazu. What was it exactly he lost? Did he lose the Earth or Water element (or something else unknown)? I mean, sure we've seen him do an Earth type jutsu of his own but he might have been relying on the mask from within himself. Regardless, I would like to see more combination elementals from him so I do hope he sticks around. (I also reckon he will absorb the Fire element just because we've seen it twice and he might want to keep the lightning and wind elements in case of another Chidori)

Gold Knight
December 23, 2006, 04:04 AM
Isn't it abit risky to asume that Hidans jutsu isn't limited by distance? It should be or else Akasuki should fokusing on getting blod samples from people and kill them from miles away. Not to mention that none of it make sence

Hm, I don't know about a distance limit to Hidan's jutsu. But that's an interesting thought, and just adds another risk factor to Shikamaru's plan. But if nothing else it would have nullified Hidan's attack on Shikamaru and even if it didn't cause any pain to Kakuzu, it would at the very least given Shikamaru some time to do a counterattack.

Well it's not so much a crackhead theory as a definite possibility that you've tackled there. Be interesting to see if that's what actually happens.

Oh, and just what were those things that fell out of Shikamaru's pouch. They look like contact cases. :nuts

Boy I AM losing my touch. I totally missed that. (Maybe I need to reread a bit more from now on...)

Oh well, I'll write some more Comments then. Heh.

Bonus Comments!

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/3170/11zl9.jpg
Hey, is that Makeup?

11. Shikamaru's Bag of Tricks! Totally missed this on my first writing of the Comments, thanks to Glasskatana for spotting it.

There's no way Kishimoto didn't draw that panel without it being significant. The way Shikamaru fell seems to indicate that he did it on purpose so that his bag would quietly spill its contents, making it easy for him to sneakily reach for them while he was still lying on the ground, just in case Hidan happened to be looking at him.

Are they more containers? Will Shikamaru be trying to get some of Hidan's own blood now, in order to have him taste it by accident and having him subsequently kill himself without meaning to? I've got to think that's coming up now...

hmmm... i just realize how hard a commentor job is (especially Naruto)
Thanx for another Naruto's 10 comments.... X)

2nd i think he (kakuzu) probably about 95 years old... so probably barely twice oro's age...
(he may fought against 1st hokage but how old is he at the time (14 or like 20 or something) oh maybe even older...
-maybe shika improve on his jutsu so he can use it much faster and more efficient..

Hm, I'd think he'd be older than that, because he seemed to imply that he would have died by now if not for his heart collection. Maybe he was already much older than Shodai when they battled.

3rd i think the explosive tag just making Hidan confused and not pay attention about the detail (like the blood) and hidan kinda fear shika from the last exchange so he want to finished shika quickly and failed into the trap.. The explosive also maybe a second plan to bring hidan down...

Actually I would think Hidan would be even more careful in his attacking because of the explosive tags... but maybe he was distracted by having to sidestep them, yeah.

7th i agree with u on that choji and ino kinda useless in this chapter, most disappointing...

8th i think it kinda lucky but not really, since shika know hidan gonna used the attack right away, but shika assume that kaka can handle kaku for a while but he was wrong, kaku just a bit too strong for kaka...

Look forward for the next chapter's comments... X)

It did seem like Kakashi really got blindsided by Kakuzu there. Of course there wasn't a way for him, even with his Sharingan, to avoid all the tendrils reaching for him from Kakuzu's arm. I guess even Sharingan users have their limits.

You're welcome. ^^

Nice idea. i have thought of that tool. But the question that makes me doubt that a little is that if so how will shikamaru protect himself inside the blast perimeter? and another question: will Shikamaru escape that explosive tags interior and set them off or what?

Well, knowing Shikamaru, he planned where every tag was thrown precisely so that he would know how to use them to his best advantage against Hidan. He's a master of shogi, after all.

I still think some of the tags are fake. In fact, probably most of them. That'd only make sense considering I just can't see Shikamaru successfully throwing them all like that without setting any of them off.

i am assuming he doesnt want to kill himself. and also after seeing what Kakuzu's body was all about--4 hearts and 3 ghosts-- before he and Hidan moved further away- what if killing Kakuzu through Hidan's jutsu doesnt work? or at least it could weaken Kakuzu somewhat ergo one of his hearts getting destroyed.

I think Shikamaru may just be focused on killing Hidan right now and not Kakuzu, because as chvis002 said, he doesn't have any idea if it really is affecting Kakuzu right now because of the distance.

That's why he told all the others to stay with Kakashi.

That theory of mine isn't right. Since, on that page, the 1st panel on the right, second 'line', shows the Shuriken hitting the tree.(I hope. I don't understand Japanese to understand the sound effect.) It'd probably take more space to show more detail of how Shikamaru did it, so, that's enough right methinks.

Yeah, I don't think it was set up beforehand.

Interesting that someone mentioned that some tags might be fake... We've seen Shikamaru used many fake explosive tags already, so quite possible.

Yeah. ^^

I've always thought that if Naruto were to die, he'd die in some heroic way, and thus ending the series.. And if Sakura were to die, I see her as a sacrifice to save Naruto... but that'd be near the end too.
I hope they won't die though. I don't want to see good characters die.

I doubt they will in this series. Would make too many kids cry >.>

Hi again ~. Just two things to point out.

1.-When i said that if i were Kakashi i would open the First Gate, and then go on Raikiring/MSing, i didn't mean right then when he was about to get his heart taken, but now, that things have calmed down and Kakuzu is pain from Hidan's Attack.

2.-Remember when Kakashi was worn out 'cause he was climbing a mountain one handed and with a Rock roped on his back?, and went complaining for being out of fit?, in that moment he opened the First gate to restore his Stamina, and power up a bit, so he jumped what was left, and met with Sasuke. So he was shown to open it, but only in training.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1192/naruto11307iu6.jpg
This is when Kakashi opens the first gate

Forgot all about that, thanks for reminding me ^^

Didn't think of it as opening the First Gate but you're likely right.

Or the blood's just been smeared over his face because he had just buried his face in the ground. But no, I don't see any cut. You might be right, but I don't know.

But it might have been Kakuzu's blood too that got on his face, after all some of it got on Hidan's scythe. But the way the cut was drawn really makes me think that it was a cut and not something fake that Shikamaru quickly put on his face. To think Shikamaru would have the reflexes necessary to not only have Hidan hit Kakuzu's container and putting a fake cut on his face simulateously is just mind-boggling. I'm already confused enough at the whole scene how Shikamaru managed to make it happen.

I am loving this fight against the two 'immortal' Akatsuki very much, and have been following your comments throughout it. You were right on the money last week which impressed me alot. What slightly annoyed me about the chapter is how skillful and quick Shikamaru must have been to have used a syringe to drop Kakazu's blood on that tiny stake. That plain annoyed me. Also, very annoyed at a lack of Chouji or Ino attacks. I expected that the moment Shikamaru went away with Hidan we would stop seeing 'shock screens' of Ino or Chouji so that they could then help Shika kick ass against Hidan.

Agreed on all counts, at the moment. I'm hoping for an explanation on how Shikamaru did that next chapter as well as some more action from Ino and Chouji.

I agree with your predictions, but there is one thing I have to wonder about with Kakazu. What was it exactly he lost? Did he lose the Earth or Water element (or something else unknown)? I mean, sure we've seen him do an Earth type jutsu of his own but he might have been relying on the mask from within himself. Regardless, I would like to see more combination elementals from him so I do hope he sticks around. (I also reckon he will absorb the Fire element just because we've seen it twice and he might want to keep the lightning and wind elements in case of another Chidori)

Probably Earth, because it seems as though by what Kakuzu's displayal of elemental manipulation through his other hearts would seem, that's where he draws his current inner chakra from. And because Kakuzu uses Earth to defend himself from attacks (I wonder if that's the ultimate type of earth jutsu?), I would think that would have been the one he chose to keep inside himself. Which also means he could have just lost his defense! If not his life, at least he lost that.

So now Kakashi, Ino, and Chouji will just have to deal with fire, wind, and lightning. Still a lot of trouble though.

Thanks for coming by! :)

chvis002
December 25, 2006, 08:18 PM
This might already be said (man I'm tired...) but on komment 9, If Kakuzu have his elemental dudes out of his body, wouldn't his "extra" hearts also be out? But if so, wouldn't Kakuzu (who seems kind of smart) be a bit more defenceive by having his elemental dudes do the work?

In next chapter if Kakuzu isn't dead, if hope that the finishing blow would be an attack to his goddamn head.
That way he has to be dead. They should've learn that "vitals" in the torso do NOT kill these guyes.

juUnior
December 26, 2006, 06:15 AM
Great review Gold Knight xD I agree with most of all things in the first post.

This might already be said (man I'm tired...) but on komment 9, If Kakuzu have his elemental dudes out of his body, wouldn't his "extra" hearts also be out? But if so, wouldn't Kakuzu (who seems kind of smart) be a bit more defenceive by having his elemental dudes do the work?

hmm it's queite logical that this qhosts or whatever needs heart, i think that it was deeply said that they live somewhat on its own. But if he is defenseless by that his extra hearts are out.. i dunno, but when he will be needing heart, he will replace with some of the ghost :x

In next chapter if Kakuzu isn't dead, if hope that the finishing blow would be an attack to his goddamn head.
That way he has to be dead. They should've learn that "vitals" in the torso do NOT kill these guyes.

I agree, one way to go with head and they would be dead. And no such things like vitals points for that duo, and porbably not the last this type duo of Aka hyhy ^^

Fnuckale
December 26, 2006, 07:02 AM
GK, about that bonus comment.. that's only the lighter and a pack of cigarettes <.<

Gold Knight
December 26, 2006, 10:04 AM

Well, if you think about it, Kakashi's Raikiri, what with the speed of the impact, I don't think would have been able to aim up at the head unless Kakuzu was on his knees. So I think it's more of a habit for him to aim for the heart.

And yes, Kakuzu probably would be one to be defensive by using his elemental "beasts" as guards but there's not much he can do against Hidan's "suicidal jutsu."

Great review Gold Knight xD I agree with most of all things in the first post.

Cool and thanks :)

hmm it's queite logical that this qhosts or whatever needs heart, i think that it was deeply said that they live somewhat on its own. But if he is defenseless by that his extra hearts are out.. i dunno, but when he will be needing heart, he will replace with some of the ghost :x

I think that he'll have to call over one of his beasts to "revive" him.

I agree, one way to go with head and they would be dead. And no such things like vitals points for that duo, and porbably not the last this type duo of Aka hyhy ^^

I agree. Zetsu is likely going to be as hard to kill.

GK, about that bonus comment.. that's only the lighter and a pack of cigarettes <.<

Yeah, that was probably why I didn't think twice about it, but there's got to be a reason why Kishimoto showed that I think.

Fnuckale
December 26, 2006, 01:54 PM
Probably to remind us of Asuma or to show the pack was open (so he can grab that blood capsul).

glasskatana
December 26, 2006, 02:50 PM
Is that really all it is? Cigarettes and the lighter. Well, if that's true, then I have to say, it is not drawn well. I mean, I can clearly see the lighter, but I can't see the pack of cigarettes at all. :s

Fnuckale
December 26, 2006, 04:50 PM
It might just be my imagination too, ya know :P

SiretaInDisguise
December 26, 2006, 06:21 PM
Oh wow, awesome comments GK :) I'm impressed. I love sarcastic insight (combining captions to the images with your actual analyzed data). Sweet.

I'll have to keep in tune with these :0

Gold Knight
December 29, 2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks Sierta ^^

Well, I'm going to have to warn everybody, it might be a little while before my next Naruto review. Not only is it New Year's upcoming and a lot of busy stuff going on around here, but also my PC's really acting up... thanks to some nasty malware. I'm going to have to work on getting all the kinks out. At the soonest I'd say my review would be out late Monday, maybe even Tuesday.

But since there's probably no Naruto chapter next week due to the double release, I guess I do have time.

Hope to see you all soon ^^

SiretaInDisguise
December 29, 2006, 10:57 PM
Alri

Thanks Sierta ^^

Well, I'm going to have to warn everybody, it might be a little while before my next Naruto review. Not only is it New Year's upcoming and a lot of busy stuff going on around here, but also my PC's really acting up... thanks to some nasty malware. I'm going to have to work on getting all the kinks out. At the soonest I'd say my review would be out late Monday, maybe even Tuesday.

But since there's probably no Naruto chapter next week due to the double release, I guess I do have time.

Hope to see you all soon ^^

Well, it's worth waiting for GK! I'll be faithfully sitting here awaiting your review ^__^

Gold Knight
January 03, 2007, 12:12 PM
I apologize guys - I started working on my PC on Monday and it was so troublesome I decided to try switching to the other PC, and found out that it also had viruses on it when I connected it to the web. So that was no solution. So I'm running anti-virus programs on it, and I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to work on Comments until it's finished - and to top it all off, tomorrow to Friday are going to be extremely busy days for me for personal reasons.

So I'm sorry guys for the wait but there's nothing I can really do about it. I WILL do a 337 Comments when I finally get the opportunity though - it just may be days.

See you guys when I get back.