PDA

View Full Version : Yooo

packages
April 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
Spanking new to the forums, pretty new to the manga/anime community in general. Watched a lot of DBZ as a child, FLCL and Bleach were my first real introductions to the expanding affinity I have found for manga over the past three years or so.
Can't wait to get to know everyone a little more, as I have nobody around me who shares similar interests in these sort of things. :oh

Recently I've finished such series as Nabari No Ou, Death Note, Gurren Lagaan, Bleach (on-going), and Soul Eater.
I'm not just into Shounen however, (I hope I'm using that term correctly? And yes, I know Death Note is not Shounen.)
I also really like Cowboy Bebop, what I've seen of Blood +, Wolf's Rain, etc. etc.
But enough about me, tell me about yourself! :amuse

Edit: Forgot to mention one of my all-time favorites: Shin Chan

M3J
April 14, 2011, 01:24 AM
Hi.

You stole my thread title. I can sue you for copyright infringement.

Read seinen. Good stuff.

saladesu
April 14, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hi there, ignore M3J, he's just being silly. He used "Yooo" as his thread title like, 5 months ago or something.

Anyway, Hi! Welcome to MH :) I see you're a Gurren Lagann fan and that's just awesome :cool: And you mean Death Note is shounen, right? :p And like M3J says, read seinen, good stuff indeed. If you liked the mind games in Death Note you should enjoy the psychological battles in Liar Game ^^

Seeya around~

M3J
April 14, 2011, 01:46 AM
I'm never silly. I'm super serious.

Oh, and congrats on knowing how to IRC decently enough. \o

packages
April 14, 2011, 08:53 PM
Ah thanks guys, and I thought your name looked familiar from the IRC, M3J.

Ha, I guess Death Note IS Shounen. I've seen some Seinen, but I was kind of turned off by the first chapter or two of Berserk, where the (I'm guessing protagonist) goes from being in some death match with some tentacled alien to impregnating it or something, to painting the walls with it's brains.

Maybe it was a bad first impression.
...Why do they always have to involve tentacles?

Kaiten
April 14, 2011, 09:12 PM
You have amazing eyebrows :oh

M3J
April 14, 2011, 09:43 PM

Ha, I guess Death Note IS Shounen. I've seen some Seinen, but I was kind of turned off by the first chapter or two of Berserk, where the (I'm guessing protagonist) goes from being in some death match with some tentacled alien to impregnating it or something, to painting the walls with it's brains.

I'm everywhere, even in your underwear. :oh

Berserk is weird and stuff though. Seinens tend to be weird. Just give some seinen like Wolf Guy a try. Pretty effed up, but entertaining. Same with Zetman.

saladesu
April 14, 2011, 11:36 PM
I echo Kaiten - you have amazing eyebrows if they really look like you've got nori pasted on your face :XD Got a real picture? :grin

Not all seinen is that weird... Try Liar Game. Trust me, no weird stuff like tentacles and all. Vinland Saga is another brilliant one. Gory, but brilliant.

Death Note is shounen because it was in a shounen magazine :neutral

packages
April 15, 2011, 12:43 AM
I echo Kaiten - you have amazing eyebrows if they really look like you've got nori pasted on your face :XD Got a real picture? :grin

Not all seinen is that weird... Try Liar Game. Trust me, no weird stuff like tentacles and all. Vinland Saga is another brilliant one. Gory, but brilliant.

Death Note is shounen because it was in a shounen magazine :neutral

Ah I see. I (think?) know that shounen is typically aimed at a younger audience (around 8ish or so to late teens), but I also thought it had something to do with the genre or content of the series. (I.e. Action as opposed to mystery, etc. etc.)
And yes, I think I uploaded a picture of me correctly on my profile, though I'm not entirely sure if it's to the correct size? It kinda looks like me... meh. If only I were ambitious enough to use Nori as my eyebrows.

Edit: Also, I don't mind gory very much. I'm very much a fan of b-movie slashers and the like. And I'm now realizing the photo I uploaded has me looking rather pompous. I'm only slightly pompous, more tired than anything. ^^

M3J
April 15, 2011, 12:49 AM
GORY?! Definitely read Zetman and Wolf Guy. Warning though, there is some rape and sick stuff in there, so beware.

Seinen isn't about gore, boobs, or whatnot though. It can be stuff too complex for kids to enjoy, like Liar Game and Death Note (even though it's considered a shounen).

packages
April 15, 2011, 12:58 AM
Ah, maybe that's where I got Death Note confused. To be honest, I lost a lot of interest once L died. He was one of my favorite characters of all time, as seems to be the status quo. I haven't read xxxHOLiC just yet, but I have read the plot outline a bit. I find it intriguing. I'll look into the others though. :amuse Thanks for the recommendations. I'm really glad to find others who share similar interests as myself, I have never really encountered anybody else with a passion for manga, anime or japanese culture until these forums.

M3J
April 15, 2011, 01:02 AM
I agree, L made the manga more fun. After his death, Light really had no competition. It just turned into "i c wut u did thar" "no, i c wut u did thar" "no i c wut u did thar" "oh u got me thar :<"

Hard to in real life, sadly. :(

AlB
April 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hey there Packages! What's up? :)

Welcome to the forums! May I ask how did you find Mangahelpers? (I myself have been googling "Naruto chapter 433-or-somenumberlikethat spoilers" :p)

benelori
April 15, 2011, 12:07 PM

Welcome to MH!:party...as you are spanking new, Ima spank you for not conitnuing Berserk...don't let the first chapters or the gore scare you off...it's one of the most brilliant works ever in manga history...

packages
April 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
I agree, L made the manga more fun. After his death, Light really had no competition. It just turned into "i c wut u did thar" "no, i c wut u did thar" "no i c wut u did thar" "oh u got me thar :<"
LOOL, Couldn't have said it better myself.
Ah, I found mangahelpers thanks to Stumbleupon.
And the gore didn't scare me off so much as the slaughtering the tentacled temptress while simultaneously porking her did. I'll try again though, for fear of future spanks.

M3J
April 15, 2011, 08:02 PM
LOOL, Couldn't have said it better myself.
Ah, I found mangahelpers thanks to Stumbleupon.
And the gore didn't scare me off so much as the slaughtering the tentacled temptress while simultaneously porking her did. I'll try again though, for fear of future spanks.

Well, it was true. The ending was... lackluster. I thoroughly enjoyed Light vs. L whereas the kid/s were just... meh.

Oh, that's a good reason to read. Porking is always fun to see. Unless it has to do with food.