PDA

View Full Version : Discussion How do some of the monthly magazines stay in business?

shouryuujo
April 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
For example, one of the magazines i like is bi-monthly with ~1000 pages but only 700ish yen which is like 8-9$. With so many mangaka contributing I am just curious how the magazine can be profitable or there are so many ads that makes up for it? I guess the mangaka who draws in those magazines don't make much? Just kind of curious the business...

Asgaroth
April 16, 2011, 09:57 AM
after several chapters they bind them together to a takoubon for each manga. most of the magazines are in the red, but make money with takoubons, animes, vomic, etc.

kkck
April 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
I have never bought manga before so I am not sure exactly how those would work but regular magazines charge a butload of money to have publicity in their pages. Not sure how much publicity a manga magazine would have though but if it does have any they probably do charge quite a bit. From what I do understand regular magazine's profit and even that of newspapers does not come from the sale of the actual product but rather publicity at least. Even then, when it comes to mangaka their product is still marketed far beyond the scope of a monthly magazine. There are still animes, toys, tankobuns, remakes of their animes (dragon ball Z kai; seriously?), movies of the manga, international sales.....

Verilance
April 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
Manga is printed on low-quality paper with little or next to no colour, these factors help keep the costs down.

Other magazines are printed on glossy paper and can be bursting with colour

the Mangaka as I understand gets most of their money from Tank sales as well

Crude
April 16, 2011, 10:53 PM
Magazines basically serve as advertisement for the tankoubons, which make the real money.

Kaiten
April 18, 2011, 09:32 PM
Magazines, not just manga, are loss leaders. They are not meant to turn a profit. Most US magazines make there money from subscription. Like Asgaroth said, manga turns a profit as tankobon, the magazines are meant to break even. As with any magazines, advertisements pay for publication cost. Most magazines have made money back before they've even reached point of sale.

Weeklies make up less than 1% of all manga magazines.There are probably fewer than 15, all shounen and seinen. Monthly and bi-weekly magazines are much more common.

Asarii
April 20, 2011, 12:24 AM
Magazines, not just manga, are loss leaders. They are not meant to turn a profit.
I know part of the money from the tankobon goes to the mangaka, but where do the sales from the magazines go? Is it more like if a magazine earns $500 000, it costs $500 000 to publish the next issue? If that's the case then we might see more (subscription based) webzines in the future since ad banners can also bring in revenue.