PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Tenryubito, World Government & Slaves

Tias
April 20, 2011, 03:59 PM
I looked around and couldn't find any threads regarding this.

So the latest chapter has made me start this thread.
And honestly it has been on my mind for a long time.

The Tenryubito are annoying as hell. Just because they were the founders of the world government long time ago, they are now, allowed to keep slaves, and treat them like crap.
The current World government is supposed to be "justice" and good, yet they KNOW that humans are being sold and traded as slaves, yet they still call themselfs justice.
That is simply pathetic.
I don't see why the Tenryubito has such control over the WG. There must be something more to it than being the founders. As we've seen, they are really rich. So i'm wondering if they are also kind of the WG's "sponsors" as in providing them the money for everything.

Either way, they are the scum of the earth, and the WG knows full well whats happening, i can't remember what chapter it was, but there is one where a solider says slave trade and then corrects himself saying something else, making it sound less "evil"

When they have such a stain on themselfs, they can't call themselfs justice.
They might call Pirates evil, but they are CERTAINLY not any better.

I have really been hoping for a long time that the Strawhats will beat up more Tenryubito.
I'm thinking or something more violent than what they did the frst time. But i doubt that would ever happen = /
The Tenryubito need to learn they are nothing but normal humans too and have no right to treat others like slaves.

If we look at the newest chapter, we find out that slaves are not allowed to cry or take any breaks or they will be killed right away. A poor little child was not allowed to cry and was forced to always smile, seriously, after fainting, due t othe trauma the child woke up right away due to fear for his/her life.
And they also force NORMAL people to marry them. Not even slaves.
It's so pathetic. How can they justify letting such people go around doing what they want?

I really hope the strawhats will beat the crap out of some of those idiots.

Uriel
April 20, 2011, 08:45 PM
They will, for sure. RA is for that as well, so you have another reason to like Dragon over other characters.

And I think there is something more related to Tenryubito. They must KNOW something that rest doesn't. And that knowledge is probably known by Gorosei as well. Something smells fishy with them...Why they would have Admirals protecting them? I know they're nobles and everything, but seems quite inconvenient to keep them alive just because (More looking their personalities and what they cost to Marines)

...And maybe that was the reason for Garp to not ever wanting be promoted. :P

rosco12
April 21, 2011, 06:47 AM
I hate the WG and the tenruybitto, and their lists of crimes is so long it would be impossible to write. So I often wondered how such people came to power and manage to stay in power, and being respected at the same time.
I came to only one explanation mass hypnosis (type Kuro vice captain) or a devil fruit with power like the painter who partnered mister 3 had. She was able to pretty much control Luffy emotion. I wouln t be surprised to learn that all the jacket the marines wears have been given the same kind of effect on the wearer s mind. That would explain how they can say it s for justice, when the island of justice (enies lobby) is ruled by the leader of a team of assassin. or when they murder every newborn children on an island for a year or wipe out every living things on an island with a buster call or...etc

Tias
April 21, 2011, 07:00 AM
They will, for sure. RA is for that as well, so you have another reason to like Dragon over other characters.

And I think there is something more related to Tenryubito. They must KNOW something that rest doesn't. And that knowledge is probably known by Gorosei as well. Something smells fishy with them...Why they would have Admirals protecting them? I know they're nobles and everything, but seems quite inconvenient to keep them alive just because (More looking their personalities and what they cost to Marines)

...And maybe that was the reason for Garp to not ever wanting be promoted. :P

Yeah but it can't JUST be because of they know of a secret, i mean Clover from Ohara also knew a secret of the WG, yet he was killed, the whole island was destoryed = /
Could it maybe be that the Tenryubito are in possesion of several ancient weapons?

And yeah, Garp, and also Smoker didn't want a promotion.
The higher up you are, the more likely you are to become their dog too.

I hate the WG and the tenruybitto, and their lists of crimes is so long it would be impossible to write. So I often wondered how such people came to power and manage to stay in power, and being respected at the same time.
I came to only one explanation mass hypnosis (type Kuro vice captain) or a devil fruit with power like the painter who partnered mister 3 had. She was able to pretty much control Luffy emotion. I wouln t be surprised to learn that all the jacket the marines wears have been given the same kind of effect on the wearer s mind. That would explain how they can say it s for justice, when the island of justice (enies lobby) is ruled by the leader of a team of assassin. or when they murder every newborn children on an island for a year or wipe out every living things on an island with a buster call or...etc

I don't think hypnosis is the case. I mean they seem to know people beome slaves to them, and the way they are treated. The marine/WG is basicly their bitch, seriously, if someone lays a hand on them, they can call in an admiral?
THEY can each and every fucking single of them call in a freaking admiral?!
There must really be something that the tenryubito have to make the WG dance to theur flutes like that = /

NANLIT
April 21, 2011, 07:31 AM
Not to mention an Admiral can call in a Buster Call with 5 Vice Admirals and 10 battleships. So there's the potential for that if a World Noble is attacked.

Anduren
April 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
I guess if you want to look at it this way, its human nature to want to have things like "wealth, fame, power...." etc. (hint hint). And since the end of the void century, the Tenryubito has had all of these things handed to them and passed down from generation to generation. Its only normal for "normal" people to look up to them and admire/envy them and turn a blind eye to their evil.

It's always been the same case in society as far as civilization has existed: most famous people can get away with doing a lot more than most common folk get away with. This may be due to their wealth, fame OR influence/power. A good example of this in the actual story was shown in Luffy's flashback involving the Tenryubito arrival and Sabo's death as well as how the nobles on that island regarded the tenryubito (even the rich and famous will envy and look up to the richest and most famous among them and want to emulate them).

As most One Piece fans, we already know that its not just a manga. It has the depth that shows deep into human nature, what we long for, what we fear, etc. When you have a society (even in reality) where celebrities and rich/influential people are given special treatment and even adored and worshiped in some extreme cases, overcoming the inherent discrimination that arise from this situation is hard for people to overcome as a society and those being discriminated will always have an uphill battle changing the social norms. I think the tenryubito is Oda's way of portraying this social flaw inherent in human nature leading to one of the biggest injustices facing society today.

zerocooldx
April 21, 2011, 01:37 PM
In a lot of ways Oda is simply showing our own human history through this.

Rikudou Sennin
April 22, 2011, 05:24 AM
It clearly has something to do with the "black century and the forgetten Kingdom".

Zeltrax
April 22, 2011, 09:31 AM
I agree, slavery sadly is nothing new in our world. It has been in our history for a long long time and even in the present day, there is still slavery in some parts of the world.
The Tenryubito that gets to do that is just the same as someone that is born rich. A rich person have all the money in the world and can get whatever he wants that can be bought with money, the same goes with tenryubito, because of their blood they get to do whatever they want and they don't have to pay any heed to the WG. I think its more like they have control over WG.
It's not like the marines are all evil, its just that the tenryubito is the core of corruption.

kkck
April 22, 2011, 01:46 PM
The way I see it the tenryubito simply have a lot of political power. It is not that strange considering even in the real world there are people who inexplicably have a lot of political power. The marines can't just overthrow them either as they are simply the military, not the actual decision makers. It is not up to them to do such a thing in the least.

Uriel
April 23, 2011, 06:34 PM
All dictators, even those chose democratically (And I wont enter discussion here, but there's plenty examples in the past 100 years of history and even less, 20...And not as far as one would think) are in some way supported by its people: By being quiet and not refusing, but thinking they're doing the greater good or by ignoring their context. Even those who fight sins in these aspects, so I'm not surprised that there is good hearted people in a corrupt system like the Tenryubito.

Anyway, the amasses a great amount of political power, historical support, traditional money-power, knowledge monopoly (Blank Century) and territorial expansion.

I loved how Oda put it in the very beginning, the ambition of mens to show us who actually has that and what is the main character looking for. Thanks Anduren to refresh me that.

ibi
April 24, 2011, 08:43 AM
Im glad that luffy punched one, he really rocked him aswell, because it just shows the goal of main character really clearly, to be free from the rules of the corrupt world, and do what he wants, and even the strongest powers in the world are not going to stop him.
And it was hilarious when usopp did the same thing by accident, ahhh comic genius

scandalous'
May 02, 2011, 07:08 PM
I just see them as queens and kings these days.

The kings and queens of Brittain, Netherlands and wherever else are out there, are good for nothing. They cost money and do stuff that can easily be done by someone else politically. It's just out of respect, image and historical significance that people keep wasting money at this stuff.

Same goes for the celestials. They are good for nothing, and are politically useless. But because out of respect to their ancestors, the image of the royals and the historical significance of those before them, and the celestials now, they remain where they are.

Now the difference between the kings and queens of the real world and the celestials is ofcourse the slavery part. But when you look at the time one piece potentially plays in, it would only seem natural to see such a thing as slavery.

In the end, the celestials are good for nothing, pieces of shhh and I cried with joy when luffy punched the sh!t out of one of them.

Uriel
May 09, 2011, 04:02 PM
Well, the royalty IRL used to have slaves as well and underpaid also :P So the only difference is that in One Piece we have to "live" the revolution when that stops.

And I post here just to reinforce the idea of slaves as a political center point of the current plot, Fishman Island.

kidopitz27
May 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
if you played modern warfare you will see this quote

"History is written by the winners. History is filled with liars"

and also this one

"Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice Will Prevail, you say?! But of course it will!! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!!!"
— Donquixote Doflamingo, One Piece

so i think the tenryubito wins and rewrite history

so what if the Tenryubito are slaves by the D's in the blank century
i dont really know the history of the red line but what if after the Tenryubito won and rewrite history they gave order to the slaves to build a wall to stop people to seek out the true history

k-dom
May 12, 2011, 03:17 PM
I disagree with comparison between Tenryubito slavery and our one. At least the one which is the most famous for all of us : Africa slave trade. This slavery was used for economic reason and the slaves were used as cheap work power. The tenryubito slaves are used for entertainment and satisfy their sadistic whishes. If there was a comparison to be made maybe prostitution would be better.

Uriel
May 12, 2011, 03:48 PM
I disagree with comparison between Tenryubito slavery and our one. At least the one which is the most famous for all of us : Africa slave trade. This slavery was used for economic reason and the slaves were used as cheap work power. The tenryubito slaves are used for entertainment and satisfy their sadistic whishes. If there was a comparison to be made maybe prostitution would be better.
Slavery as it was back then came from older roots where the Slaves were used for entertainment and their sadistic wishes. Ask popes about it. :D