PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Why is One Piece also number One?

FanOfAniManga
May 16, 2011, 12:28 AM
As you can tell by the title of this thread, I'm here to ask the fans of One Piece why this series is doing so well, it's virtually indestructible. Most of the time, it's number 1 on the WSJ rankings, excluding series that also made cover pages.

I happen not to be a fan of this particular series (not that I know why), so I don't know much about it. Having said that, let me stress that I'm NOT the least bit jealous of this series' success. I'm stressing this out because I've been trolled and dissed in the past for arguing against a One Piece fan, even though I never meant any sort of jealousy at all against the series and was merely playing devil's advocate, as I do all the time.

My true reason for asking is just because I'm seeing so many other WSJ series tank even though I find a lot of them not that bad. For that, I was wondering what it'd take for other series to do better.

Thanks.

Naruffy
May 16, 2011, 04:28 AM
IMO, One Piece's success comes from it's great storyline. It's probably more appealing to some people because its simple (Pirates going after treasure vs. ninja's in a world of hatred or death gods). Along with these I also believe that One Piece has been more consistent in other areas such as power-levels; When Luffy meets someone he's not able to beat, he doesn't pull out some random power-up and beats them. Luffy as a main character is also very appealing, I find personally him funnier and more interesting to watch than Naruto or Ichigo.

I'm sure other people have plenty more reasons why it's is doing so well. Just keep in mind that One Piece as a whole is a fun and exciting adventure story, and if you read it with an open mind you'll find out for yourself why it's so popular.

Zeltrax
May 16, 2011, 05:40 AM
I think the easiest way to know is watch or read it yourself.

One piece greatness lies in its well written story and its well developed characters. The reason why people love it, and continue loving it is because it never fails to deliver. Then there is the dramatic and emotional moments in the series that captures the readers hearts, it takes a good story writer to do that. I also love it for the adventures and the various element of surprise that makes reading it fun.
One of the reason people tend to avoid reading one piece is due to the art style. However, the art gradually improve and after reading it for a long time, you'll feel that it is not one piece if this kind of art style isn't used.

The characters, the plot, the world and the stories are all masterfully weave together by Oda which all makes One Piece amazing.

Josl
May 16, 2011, 06:20 AM
Well the obvious reasons are story telling, character handling and world building.

Oda is a master of story telling in the shonen genre. He has planed the whole story before he begun to make the Manga but of course not everything is planned. He always adds new elements and sub plots to make his world bigger and more believable. You have “little” self contained arcs and a big overlapping plot. About the big plot you get the first sign 200chapters in and learn what it is truly about 400 chapters in but we still don’t know pretty much anything about it. Because of the self contained arcs, the island system (new people, new environment) it always fells fresh. He uses a lot of foreshadowing which gives his story consistency. For example something from chapter 1 becomes really relevant 500 chapters later. A lot of things people COULD have seen coming but most people didn’t.

He uses constant build up, which means his world gets always bigger and the Manga gets “better”. The first 100 chapter are just introduction, after that it really starts off BUT he still uses this build up system, which means it gets better and better

His world is enormous, creative and full of excitement and fun. It is also a breathing world which means an action in one location can have catastrophic consequences somewhere else.

He has an enormous cast. Nine main characters and an endless supporting cast. He handles them very well. Pretty much no useless characters. All of the main characters got an incredible sad past which makes people sympathize with them and makes the characters 3 dimensional.

Those are the usually reasons what are given for the success but I think besides those reasons given there is one very important.
The author implements his soul in his work. He does care for the world, the characters, the readers and the Manga. He loves what he is doing.
He is able to touch the people in their hearts. There is a very good mixture between drama and comedy. It makes you laugh, cry and sometimes both at the same time.

If you wish to get an impression of what OP is all about than I advice you to watch Movie 9.
This movie is half filler, half canon. The Villain is probably the worst of OP but the movie isn’t about the villain. It’s about one of the main cast. It is also spoilery because they implemented people there who don’t belong there and it takes the WTF effect away when they do appear in the Manga.

There is an interesting blog where people from different Blogs wrote essays about OP:
http://precur.wordpress.com/one-piece-mmf/
Everything from ABCBTom is readworthy but ESPECIALLY this one:
http://karaconner.com/blog/?p=225

There is also one Japanese documentary which asks the same question as you about why is it as popular as it is. There are no subtitels but a summary. If you wish I could send it to you

scandalous'
May 16, 2011, 07:11 AM
The biggest reason for me is the humor. The strawhats always manage to crack me up. Other than that, the way the story is told is amazing and its a very balanced manga. The way powers are displayed makes a lot of sense and the characters don't get random powers up. For example, when Kuma started to teleport all of luffy's crew mates away, he got real angry and tried to stop him, yet couldn't even touch him. At a moment like this, every other character in another series, would go "kyuubi, super saiyan 7, or ichigonator" for example. Stuff like this doesn't happen in one piece. If you have a limit you don't suddenly go over it out of the blue.

The fact I like the most is that everything gets explained sooner or later, which always makes you go: ohhhh, so that's it. It doesn't leave stuff unexplained as for example how did kakashi in naruto get his MS.

When it comes to story telling, one piece takes the cake.

matzik1212
May 16, 2011, 01:07 PM
'cause it's a one of a kind manga IMO with a original storyline and yeah it's very funny and i can't stop laughing sometimes when i watch an episode or read a chapter i could say that when i'm sad sometimes all i need to do is watch baka luffy and his "awesomeeeeeee" face and my bad mood just flies away :XD

FujiNumberOne
May 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
First of all, the characters. Oda has made great, lovable characters that are also very 3-dimensional and therefore believable. All of their actions make sense with their personalities. So you really care about and sympathize with all of the characters and want to know how their dreams will turn out.

Second of all, the ever-expanding worlds. With other mangas, you have certain specific sets. For example, with Naruto, you have Konoha and the various buildings within it and glimpses of the other main villages, but besides that, you rarely see any other areas. With Bleach, you have Soul Society, Karakura Town, Hueco Mundo, and that's about it. But with One Piece, you constantly see brand new islands that are extremely unique. You see various areas of the world, and therefore can really believe that it's a world, instead of just seeing a very few areas and just assume that it's actually a vast world.

Thirdly, it's more mature than some other series.
As others have said, you don't always have the main character pull a power-up from out of nowhere to win against characters who are actually stronger than him. Luffy lost to Crocodile twice, lost to Magellan, lost to Kuma, etc. It's not like Naruto, where he beat Pain, but we're supposed to somehow believe he's going to have trouble beating Sasuke. And Ace and Whitebeard, both good guys, have died. It's not like Bleach, where Yamamoto can get hit by the flames of Ryuujin Jakka and use a sacrificial kidou and still make it out alive, or Hiyori can get literally cut in half and still survive.

NoLimit89
May 17, 2011, 09:26 AM
I watch it for the characters. Each character is grounded in an engaging backstory and each character grows with time. The characters all have their quirks and traits but what differentiates them from other manga characters is that they grow with time. They're multidimensional character instead of one dimensional.

I also watch it for the story. The story are all interconnected and I find it unbelievably amazing when one thing written 30 chapters back could be elaborated upon and given new meaning. See Laboon and Brook, or Jimbei or Ace's tattoo or Kuma's backstory. I find it absolutely amazing how creative and well planned each of these unveil is. Also the theme behind the story, it's not merely about friendship being stressed over and over again, it's about dreams, freedom, adventure, differing ideologies and governance, love, loss, fear, family, growth AND friendship. It's basically real in the sense that it's a reflection of our own society. Therefore, the story is much deeper than almost any other manga.

Thirdly, the drama and the comedy - I guess this is a personal preference for style, and it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Saint Markus
May 17, 2011, 11:32 AM
it's generally the story itself. and all stories that are written really well, with well-thought out plots and take good risks always pay off. besides, Oda writing skills are like the old school mangakas.

doesn't surprise me, One Piece would sell so much in Japan. makes you really wonder why, it's not doing the same here in the states. i personally think, the story represents an ideal rather than overused and predictable plot lines.

ANBU4U
May 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
The depth and expansiveness of the WORLD of One Piece really makes it unique. As mentioned before, the Island system really allows Oda to expand and elaborate the world map more than any other shonen, and really, any other manga currently in publication...I can't think of anything that comes close...HunterXHunter and Berserk get honorable mentions but its still no contest so far as known/visited locations.

Still, most importantly its the diverse and intricate themes of One Piece that make it so special. Adventurer, Freedom, Oppression, Good-Evil, Justice, Righteousness, Friendship, Camaraderie, Responsibility, Leadership, Legacy, Race, Sacrifice, Values. I mean, just what is treasure in One Piece?

And it all works. I mean their are People you HATE in One Piece, People you love, and people you're conflicted about, all based on their values and actions. How many Shounen can we really say that about? Thats why One Piece is the most popular Shounen, somehow Odas made such a deep......and yet VERY shounen story at the same time. Has that ever happened before?

RaveDragon
May 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
One Piece isnt in a rush, the characters are developed in such a way i have never seen before, tha arcs are very imaginative, and even though the arts not the best it is appealing in its own unique way. but its the first thing that makes me love it, every character has been explained (almost all of them) and everyone of them whom was especially important has a story which was told beautifully, the Mugiwara are an example ^^ Princess Vivi is another and even Boa Hancock

The chapters have something which brings out the curiosity in people and many issues have been dealt in a way in this manga; slavery, democracy in a way which is easy to understand and very emotional and enjoyable (not the situation the plot i mean).

javimgol
May 17, 2011, 01:20 PM
For me the true key of OP success is that Oda is always rewarding his readers.Let me try to explain it.

You can begin to read a manga for a lot of motives. After you read a bunch of chapters, there are two ways: you quit or you continue. There are two reason to continue: you like the story and/or you like the characters. Art is important but hasn't got the same importance.

When you have read, I don't know, 100 chapters of a manga, most of them begin to result boring. The story is predictable (main characters has to win) and the characters you love can not appear is all the chapters. But you still continue. OK, there are surprises and OMG chapters, but they appear very rarely.

OP is different because Oda is always rewarding his fans, the older have they been following the series, the better. Why? On one hand, due to the fact he is always recycling old characters in a reasonable fashion. On the other hand,you can always find that what happens in the story is logical and elements of hundreds of chapters ago fix like a puzzle. The reason has been explained before: he is a master of storytelling and likes to prepare things waaaaay before it finally appear in the manga.

Franckie
May 17, 2011, 09:47 PM
One Piece outclasses every other current shounen when it comes to portraying drama, humor, and sense of adventure. One Piece is also complex in terms of mythology, world depth, character diversity, and from recently published volumes, only HxH is as brutal and uncompromising. The quality of writing has led One Piece to achieve the multigraphic appeal that has led to unprecedented levels of popularity.

kulugo
May 17, 2011, 11:41 PM
read it and you'll understand.

Uriel
May 18, 2011, 07:47 AM
Internal Cohesion.

Except Hunter X Hunter, I haven't found ANY manga with such a high level of coherence.

ALSO I think it's number one because adults like it more than teens, and they have more money to buy. So it will be always ranked first :P

shouryuujo
May 18, 2011, 11:28 AM
i like the vast world and interesting characters. I don't mind powerups that much but it is nice to see the crew not always be "invincible" even though they win (well they have to) most of the major fights. One thing I dont particularly like is the character design.... the chars have really long legs and arms imo and that gets a bit used to...

Aikidoka
May 19, 2011, 10:11 AM
$nipe in another topic described it best with the following:

I've always thought of One Piece as a masterpiece of 'pop' art, and I think that's why it's so beloved by children and adults. Compared to other shonen heros (at least the ones that I know), Luffy is basically an antihero in the sense that his values aren't really 'good'. He's not a good person, he's just a very, VERY humane person: selfish and nonchalant. His goals lie within a realization of his self-conceited whim: being 'free', having people his beloved people near him and doing as he wishes.

Anyone would fall into loving a character that turns the world upside-down and actually shifts it in a right direction just by acting selfishly. By putting moral principles and centering them in self-satisfaction, it creates a hero that doesn't believe in doing good or a better world, yet it manages to do it. As unreal as a 10-minutes workout, non-fat yogurt and free beer, One Piece draws the proverbial "child" in transactional analysis out of every reader. As 'pop' as it can get. Now compare it to Naruto, where the reader is put into emotional distress by a character who doesn't know what to do to actually change the world. Of course, readers don't want the conflict or the difficult paradoxes: they want the easy way out. That's why they love One Piece.

I love it too.
I do love the moral quandaries and struggles, which is why I enjoy manga like Naruto as well -- but I started really getting into One Piece at a time when "dark and edgy" heroes were in. To me someone as carefree as Luffy is a refreshing change from the usual, cliche wangsty heroes.

And of course there are all the reasons that everyone's given already, not least of which is storytelling -- as much as Bleach is a great manga, there are those (me included) who are starting to get bored by the sudden change in mood between two major story arcs, and the "slow" pacing compared to last year. But you don't get that with One Piece. Oda knows exactly what to do to keep us readers interested and the plot moving forward. He's taken manga, something usually seen as juvenile and for kids, and made it into a story that people of all ages can (and do) enjoy.

manuelmachado
May 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
Imho, one piece have so many strong characters (hero or villain) and each have a unique story/goal/objectives.... like Dragon Ball Z.
for example:
-ichigo (bleach) is always trainning and battling when you could evolve the 12 commanders, chad, urahara, Isshin ( ichigo father),......
- in naruto, shikamaru could be much more important and strong, byakugan lost importance,....
- in HSD kenichi, only kenichi matters and the masters win/survive always. kenichi friends could be more powerful
- fairy tail have great potecial( explore the dragons quest, lily with the keys, black guilds and raven tail).
- hunter x hunter was iincredible/great! but Yoshihiro Togashi is crazy!!! he f**k the story....i dont wanna talk about that guy!

Nonlife
May 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
One Piece has an assortment of pros - and few cons; but Oda's FOCUS is by far very impressive. He's literally breathing life into his own little world, filled with numerous unique individuals & its worldly affairs, etc.

Naruto: I DON'T believe in, or like, the main character anymore - or his character development. (IMO, Luffy made more progress with his training than Naruto.)

Bleach: The other characters just suck compared to Ichigo, who constantly gets thrown into a handful of battles ahainst MAJOR opponents. (Everyone else: one fight, & they "throw in the towel.")
Fairy Tail: My second favorite manga. My only qualms were the character designs - like knockoffs of the Rave Master characters - & the neverending winning streak against world-class Dark Guilds. (Would it kill Mashima to expand on the other Guilds & not give FT the BEST of BEST mages in the world.)

RaveDragon
May 20, 2011, 08:48 AM
Imho, one piece have so many strong characters (hero or villain) and each have a unique story/goal/objectives.... like Dragon Ball Z.
for example:
-ichigo (bleach) is always trainning and battling when you could evolve the 12 commanders, chad, urahara, Isshin ( ichigo father),......
- in naruto, shikamaru could be much more important and strong, byakugan lost importance,....
- in HSD kenichi, only kenichi matters and the masters win/survive always. kenichi friends could be more powerful
- fairy tail have great potecial( explore the dragons quest, lily with the keys, black guilds and raven tail).
- hunter x hunter was iincredible/great! but Yoshihiro Togashi is crazy!!! he f**k the story....i dont wanna talk about that guy!

Agreed Oda focuses on all characters introduced developing them to thier best if not thier fullest,

Bleach lacks this and we only see Ichigo growing and little bit his friends when the captains have so much potential, he could use many for a story like Liza and Nanao and the captain who was sent to the royal army.

Fairy Tail is my Fav. along with one piece not because thier similar but the story has potential and keeps to the viewers age liking and is also very imaginative in its own, and i think you meant Lucy or Layla and the keys xp

Bute One Piece has always had that speciality, its like the characters come to life, know what i mean, we feel like, i think, we are going along wih Luffy in this journey and many of us grew up with him on his adventures, i was small when i started one piece (it aired on tv) and i loved it, and now that i can understand the many messages Oda sends thorugh it i am awed and absolutely adore his work

Finale
May 20, 2011, 08:41 PM
The thing I like about OP is that almost anything can happen in it and it will make complete sense unlike many other manga where crap just pops up out of nowhere. As you read OP every tiny detail or little piece of information can have huge ramifications later on, thats what makes the discussions about it so entertaining.

Zoro #1
May 21, 2011, 12:33 PM
I think that One piece is doing so good is becuase of the awesome story line and how every little mini arc is related to the main story line unlike other mangas where you have mini arc after mini arc and the story doesn't go anywhere. Another reason is the characters, even though Luffy and his crew are the main characters they are not hyped up they never had any kind ultimate power that other people in the manga don't have, and the fighting style is also quite diverse where the main character is not using and spamming the same thing over and over again. But most of all it is about how great Oda is in creating such a complex storyline without forgetting about the small details.

jorped
May 21, 2011, 04:31 PM
For me One Piece will never be the number one , because that spot belongs to Naruto , but i get why it nowadays is almost every time number 1!

I mean One Piece is a very good shounen manga. Oda was able to create a fantastic world and the story is awesome.
Oda managed to create a bunch of awesome characters and though some arcs might be boring ,talking more about the beginning of One Piece, it has indeed very beautiful arcs with a lot of emotional moments.
And we can't never forget the comedy , though i think that sometimes Oda exaggerates for example with Sanji .

But in the end it is all because the story though is good, it's pretty simple.

Naruto story and plot is away much better but doesn't reach the popularity of One Piece and won't ever because is much more complicate.
Though Naruto has better battles , awesome characters and better villains than One Piece , in the end One Piece stays always as the first !

I think that the main reason why One Piece is almost always number one is because it might appeal to a large ammount of people than for example Naruto do.

One Piece is awesome , but their is some times that some chapters of other mangas really deserve to be higher than it . But One Piece will always stay on a very good position cuz Oda is indeed a very talented mangaka and even though their is still at least 10 years left, he will somehow manage to keep that awesome historical

Zoro #1
May 22, 2011, 03:08 PM
For me One Piece will never be the number one , because that spot belongs to Naruto , but i get why it nowadays is almost every time number 1!

I mean One Piece is a very good shounen manga. Oda was able to create a fantastic world and the story is awesome.
Oda managed to create a bunch of awesome characters and though some arcs might be boring ,talking more about the beginning of One Piece, it has indeed very beautiful arcs with a lot of emotional moments.
And we can't never forget the comedy , though i think that sometimes Oda exaggerates for example with Sanji .

Naruto story and plot is away much better but doesn't reach the popularity of One Piece and won't ever because is much more complicate.
Though Naruto has better battles , awesome characters and better villains than One Piece , in the end One Piece stays always as the first !

I think that the main reason why One Piece is almost always number one is because it might appeal to a large ammount of people than for example Naruto do.

One Piece is awesome , but their is some times that some chapters of other mangas really deserve to be higher than it . But One Piece will always stay on a very good position cuz Oda is indeed a very talented mangaka and even though their is still at least 10 years left, he will somehow manage to keep that awesome historical

Lol, you pulled the naruto card, for me naruto is second to one piece not because of the long and interesting battles, in naruto they show very little hand to hand fight the rest of the time its just the character spamming their same old jutsu over and over again, I mean look at naruto its either shaadow clone or the 10,000 different variation of rasengan, plus the power of sharingan and other powers are so hyped up that the other normal ninjas look mediocre infront of the main characters while in one piece the character and powers are quite diverse and there is no single person that is the most powerful in the world. kishi is a great writer its just that some time he takes a jutsu like the ET and spams it in such a way without giving explanation that it confuses the hell out of the reader.

jorped
May 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
Lol, you pulled the naruto card, for me naruto is second to one piece not because of the long and interesting battles, in naruto they show very little hand to hand fight the rest of the time its just the character spamming their same old jutsu over and over again, I mean look at naruto its either shaadow clone or the 10,000 different variation of rasengan, plus the power of sharingan and other powers are so hyped up that the other normal ninjas look mediocre infront of the main characters while in one piece the character and powers are quite diverse and there is no single person that is the most powerful in the world. kishi is a great writer its just that some time he takes a jutsu like the ET and spams it in such a way without giving explanation that it confuses the hell out of the reader.

Yeah i can't stop myself from agreeing with you on the ET part , cuz somewhere on it Kishi failed ! Maybe when he gives to us more info it will be better.
But you can't say that Naruto fights are boring , when for most of the time Luffy wasn't anything more than gomu gomu attacks . It was away to boring , but that changed cuz we are seeing haki being used more often and the gears are pretty cool .
When i said Naruto battles are better , that is my opinion because Naruto's fights are much more tactical and i love the way Naruto and other characters managed to win and beat their opponents with unique solutions !

there is no single person that is the most powerful in the world.

You sure about this ?
Whitebeard was the most powerful guy in the world with only that fruit , now Blackbeard possess Whitebeard's fruit and he still possess the darkness fruit. With this 2 years he must have managed to control well this powers , so i don't expect anyone to be able of beating him ! And i really don't know how Luffy will with only the gomu gomu fruit

But that is something up to Oda , and i do believe that he will surprise us in a good way

Samui
May 23, 2011, 04:43 AM

So One Piece's plot is simple, and Naruto's plot is much better? The grand scheme of things in One Piece is so much better than Naruto, whose plot revolves around bringing back Sasuke, Naruto's so-called friend, and fighting Akatsuki whose (real) leader is to control the world through Genjutsu reflected by the moon. How is that complicated when in One Piece we have a corrupt Government, a good-doing selfish pirate for a protagonist, the Ancient Kingdom and all that ties into it (the treasure itself, the Ancient Weapons, the Void History) and the fact that according to Rayleigh, the truth isn't simple. So in the end we've no idea how it's going to end, no one can predict the ending of this manga.

Also, how are Naruto's villains are better? The only good villains are Orochimaru (from the 1st part, he pretty much got butchered in the 2nd), and Pain. That's it. The rest were decent and didn't take much part in the story because Kishi just had to kill them off for some reason (Poor Kisame), and actually the sames goes for Pain as well. He didn't do anything until his invasion, so he's pretty much right above the "weekly enemy".

One Piece's list of villains consist of genius masterminds (Crocodile), a psychopath with God complex (Enel, who terrorized Skypiea with his God-like power), the most pirate-ish villain in One Piece so far (Blackbeard) and the list goes on...
Unlike the Akatsuki, the villain Shichibukai (Crocodile, Moria, Blackbeard, Doflamingo) aren't just one time antagonists who were defeated and thrown out of the story like Deidara, Hidan. Kakuzu... each had their own goals, and they're still part of the story even after their respective arcs, we still continue to learn about their past and motives. Take Crocodile for example: He was defeated by Whitebeard, tried to find an Ancient Weapon and taking over an entire nation to match the military strength of the World Government. We also know that in the past he wasn't different than Luffy, but something changed and he lost trust in people (and considering his wounds that surely weren't caused by Whitebeard, it's easy to guess that perhaps Crocodile's old crew betrayed him). We also know that he knows Ivankov, who has knowledge of some secret of his. Now can you compare him to Deidara, Kakuzu, or Hidan? Kakuzu and Hidan are even worse than Deidara, because Kishi did as he's told by his editors and ended the arc sooner for some weird reason (He didn't have the time? Really?!)

Syzerd
May 23, 2011, 06:42 AM
Regarding this Naruto vs One Piece sub-discussion, honestly i started watching Naruto earlier than One Piece, and I started my manga adventure with Naruto, but at some points it was so boring, so much pointless missions and fillers, that now i can't watch Naruto anymore, i definitly given up on it.

There was another anime that for me it has one of the best awesome history that I have ever seen, and that was Death Note, but unfortunatly, for me it ended at half at the history and i couldn't watch the rest (want to avoid spoilers for those that havent seen it) but for me it still is one of the best.

Really loved Hajime no Ippo, and hope that the Anime get started again as fast as it is possible, because i don't appreciate the manga that much.

Watched the first episodes of Bleach and Fairy Tail and died of being so bored, and given up.

But there is one Manga and Anime that fascinates me more and more with the time, I watched all the movies i hope i watched all the specials too, and that is One Piece, it has such a well written story, so much awesome characters, and not only the protagonists, also the bad guys are unique, I love that well build up characters, its like each character has is own life. Then, the humor makes start laughing at the beggining of a chapter and stop at the end of it, sometimes with some cry in the middle. And i think the most important is that we still don't know almost anything about this world, there is so much detail in it.

And this all makes me every wednesday, wait religiously for the next chapter, and after read it be impatient for the next one. And thats why it is number one for me.

Ninja_Pirate
May 23, 2011, 02:07 PM
Its just oda who can develop characters the way it has been done in one piece,.. Even a ship as a character has been developed such that its burning by luffy's hand made so many burst in tears ... odasome :)

Zoro #1
May 23, 2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah i can't stop myself from agreeing with you on the ET part , cuz somewhere on it Kishi failed ! Maybe when he gives to us more info it will be better.
But you can't say that Naruto fights are boring , when for most of the time Luffy wasn't anything more than gomu gomu attacks . It was away to boring , but that changed cuz we are seeing haki being used more often and the gears are pretty cool .
When i said Naruto battles are better , that is my opinion because Naruto's fights are much more tactical and i love the way Naruto and other characters managed to win and beat their opponents with unique solutions !

You sure about this ?
Whitebeard was the most powerful guy in the world with only that fruit , now Blackbeard possess Whitebeard's fruit and he still possess the darkness fruit. With this 2 years he must have managed to control well this powers , so i don't expect anyone to be able of beating him ! And i really don't know how Luffy will with only the gomu gomu fruit

But that is something up to Oda , and i do believe that he will surprise us in a good way

If BB was that powerful then he wouldn't have just hightailed from seeing Akainu on the ship he wanted, he has the DF powers but he is long way from perfecting it just look at luffy after almost 16 years or something of having his DF powers he is still learning and finding new ways to improve so to say that BB has mastered his powers in just 2yrs is over the top, plus there is haki so BB isn't that big of a hot shot against an admiral with logia power and haki. WB was strong but still he was considered second to Roger, but I think it was mainly because he was never interested in fame or power, though still WB and Roger were considered to be the strongest people and still are in my opinion. In case of Luffy defeating BB I think that BB overconfidence in his power will bring his downfall plus we have a whole half of one piece left so anything can happen during that time. And I'm sorry for saying that fights in naruto are boring, what i meant was that I would rather love for kishi to have a more hand to hand fight and give the characters are little more jutsu's rather than using the same old jutsu's that are just tweaked a little bit.

Anduren
May 23, 2011, 10:23 PM
The best way I can explain why I think One Piece is number one is with a thought experiment:

If you take a survey of random people on the street and ask them "If you were in these situations, how are you more likely to act/react?"

Situation #1: Would you chase after someone who has blatantly rejected you as a friend to your face for over 2 years, and refuse to give up? (Naruto)

Situation #2: If you were bleeding to death would you refuse blood from the one you hate the most? (Fisher Tiger)

Situation #3: How likely are you to want to heal someone who just tried to kill you 5 minutes ago? (Orihime)

Situation #4: How likely are you to always walk around wanting to kill everyone in your way IF your brother slaughtered your family? (Sasuke)

Situation #5: How would you react if you did everything you could to save your brother from a fatal situation, but you failed because he did the same for you? (Luffy)

Situation #6: Would you ever threaten to beat someone into teaching you something? (Ichigo to Vizards)

P.S. I hope nobody takes offense to my critical portrayal of Bleach/Naruto. :amuse Just tryin to make a point here.

The point I'm trying to make is.....chances are, more people can relate directly to One Piece characters on many levels than the others even in the most extreme cases. They're more human in their character/personality than in almost any other manga you can compare with and they behave like how normal people would behave if they were plucked out of this world and placed in the world where One Piece exists. On top of this, Oda uses satire to make characters humorous all the while making them realistic: i.e. Nami's obsession with money and Sanji's obsession with women. I'm sure more people than not (as funny as it is) know at least one person that behaves like Nami and/or Sanji around their respective vice.

But character development isn't the only bonus in One Piece. As many have already mentioned, the world Oda has built is superb and has everything from geographic, cultural, and historical detail which he doesn't rush through or allow any inconsistencies on to the point that it makes it believable as far fetched as it can be (sky island). And the main theme of the story is something that drives every human on an instinctive level: freedom. The fact that freedom isn't based on good and evil means anyone who appreciates freedom will also appreciate the story of One Piece for its portrayal of it. Most other mangas tend to concentrate on things like good vs evil or peace vs war to the point that sometimes they tend to forget what drives people to choose one over the other....it all goes back to freedom.

Carlito
May 24, 2011, 04:32 AM
I think that a very interesting part of OP, as a shonen manga, has been well expressed in here (http://karaconner.com/blog/?p=225) through :

Skipping over the battles would be skipping over a lot of what makes One Piece engaging, though. You’ve been ruined by Dragonball Z ... Battles are fought physically, but they’re also fought psychologically. The heroes and villains believe in very different sets of ideals, and a lot of the combat is over different political and philosophical views of the world, and which ones are better. And it’s not just “I’m going to rule the world!” versus “No you aren’t!” There are complicated issues, such as the role of government, the rights of the individual, and the meaning of freedom. Third, it’s not just a matter of exchanging laser beams or swordplay that’s so fast that you can’t keep track of the movement. It’s superpower versus superpower done with great imagination.

I'd even say that there aren't really any good heroes and bad vilains. There are only the heroes/main characters and the anti-heroes (which aren't even clearly defined), all with there own ideals and goals which might end up to conflict one another.

benelori
May 24, 2011, 07:38 AM
Obviously the story and the setting of the story...
Many mangas abuse the traditional japanese elements like samurais, ninjas, hi-tech stuff, or even the concept of ki to no end...OP is a breath of fresh air as it creates a shell for all this to be present, however these elements are not the starting point...
For example HxH or Psyren where they use mental power, which is a variation of ki, or magic power in FT and other mahou manga, start from the premise that he main characters will enter the story because they have some sort of ki that will enable them to fight.

In OP the concept of powerful is approached from a different view, I don't think I have to give examples...not to mention that Oda's imagination just adds to my idea

Combine this with the wonderful world, which incorporates all sorts of legends of myths from different places, not just Asia, the setting is clearly one of the most powerful arguments...just the fact that the main characters are not robots, samurai or just walking atomic bombs, but pirates IMO is the most important when we talk about the setting

And as I said the story...just the idea of seeking treasures, be free on the sea is appealing, not even mentioning the impressive twists, and character backgrounds...

PS: oh and I forgot the humor...the humor is good, even though I find the recent exaggerations a bit old now...we used to have much more intelligent humor in previous arcs

Black Hawk
May 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
The big Point is the History behind ODA and the equality from DB and OP.
The leading man, Ruffy, really don´t care about nothing. He act wild and free, some young reader, fans Followers or growing youth can understand and follow this. That make the Headleader sympathetic.

Another big fact is growing feature, grow with it. Grow with the people growing as friends. So u can look at yourself. How u change by yourself and growing. When your favorit character are like u, make it more likely. U can see it also by other series like Bleach or Naturo, KHR.
When we speaks about characters there a planty of it in Op. Also the bad Guys are most Time stronger as the Headleader. They become a Background and get good time of introducing. That give Fan´s the chance, to stay at One Piece. As an Badguy Fan and anti Fan. XD

Next Point the simple Story structure. For new reader is easy to read and understand. For some older MangaFans ODA works with surprise. When u think u know whats coming, a new flashback or actor move in. That make it interisting for me.

Another thing is like me, that always the comedy or dramatic moment are important then any new ability. So it always keep the emotion in the frontline.
That make for me also Beelzebub so funny.

That are my arguments, why OP or other serious got so many Fans.

exacta
June 01, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thirdly, it's more mature than some other series.
As others have said, you don't always have the main character pull a power-up from out of nowhere to win against characters who are actually stronger than him. Luffy lost to Crocodile twice, lost to Magellan, lost to Kuma, etc. It's not like Naruto, where he beat Pain, but we're supposed to somehow believe he's going to have trouble beating Sasuke. And Ace and Whitebeard, both good guys, have died. It's not like Bleach, where Yamamoto can get hit by the flames of Ryuujin Jakka and use a sacrificial kidou and still make it out alive, or Hiyori can get literally cut in half and still survive.

Whoa there buddy. I agree with your first two points, but I have a few problems with your third one...

First of all, there are plenty of instances of characters in One Piece surviving things that should've been impossible, just like most other shounen. For example, Whitebeard being able to fight after getting stabbed in the chest with a giant sword and having half his FACE RIPPED OFF. Not til he got shot several times after did he die. And Franky got hit by a train when he was a kid and lived through that.

And lets not forget Pell carrying a freaking nuke into the sky and somehow surviving the explosion unscathed, with no explanation.

If anything, One Piece takes the whole living through absurd injuriers things further than Bleach does. At least Bleach actually outright states that the body of a Shinigami can handle alot more punishment than a human body can.

One Piece has had its fair share of asspull powerups too....one that I'm thinking of in particular is Zoro vs Mr. 1. Zoro was getting his ass handed to him because he couldn't cut through steel, and then all of the sudden he remembers a proverb his teacher said to him and then all of the sudden he cuts through Mr. 1 like butter. Definitely an asspull. Plus, Naruto had alot of help in the fight against Pain, and Sasuke has plenty of room to gain more powers, which he did after the Pain fight anyway, so thats not an asspull really.

And One Piece isn't really into the habit of killing good guys very often, also just like most shounen.....Whitebeard and Ace were the first two good guys to die that weren't part of a flashback, and it took more than 500 chapters for that to happen. Hell, One Piece doesn't even really kill its bad guys...coupled with its art, and I don't really see One Piece being more mature than other shounens really.

pyogenes
June 01, 2011, 01:05 PM
Popularity of manga is strongly tied to the quality of the anime. And anime tends to only be as good as its filler episodes. One Piece filler episodes aren't great, but they usually aren't totally horrible either. They also don't go on for years at a time...
Naruto had 2 whole years of absolutely unwatchable fillers before Shippuden started.
Bleach painted itself into a corner and had to do fillers that don't come even close to fitting in the storyline.

Bad filler --> lower anime ratings --> lower manga popularity

Oni Giri
June 01, 2011, 02:06 PM
why, you ask? it is because one piece exists

Aikidoka
June 01, 2011, 06:38 PM
And One Piece isn't really into the habit of killing good guys very often, also just like most shounen.....Whitebeard and Ace were the first two good guys to die that weren't part of a flashback, and it took more than 500 chapters for that to happen. Hell, One Piece doesn't even really kill its bad guys...coupled with its art, and I don't really see One Piece being more mature than other shounens really.
I agree with most of your points, exacta, except for the last one (quoted above). Death of characters doesn't necessarily imply maturity, nor does a mature story necessarily have to include lots of deaths. If you read American comics, we can use as an example the "Dark Age" of comics during the nineties. Writers and artists saw how popular Watchmen was, and tried to copy its "dark" content; we ended up with lots of crap comics that had excessive gore and death, but almost no intelligence at all. On the other side of the coin, sci-fi writer Isaac Asimov's stories dealt with a lot of mature themes (artificial intelligence and its implication of free will and rights), but rarely had death in any of them (except for the detective ones).

What I'm trying to say with those examples is that it's not so much the superficial (read: visible) aspects (the art or death count) that make a comic/manga/film/whatever mature, but the themes that it deals with. Bleach has nakama, Naruto has the "cycle of revenge", and One Piece has nakama and in recent years racism. Outside of the "big three" we even have some manga with unique themes like Soul Eater, which deals with chaos vs. order, and the very concept of insanity. Based on themes alone, I'd rank the big three from lowest to highest Bleach, Naruto, then One Piece. But of course we know the maturity of manga is based on so many more factors than that.

You might not have meant that the deaths (or lack thereof) were the main reason that you believed One Piece wasn't more mature than the other manga, or even a very significant one; I just wanted to point out that in terms of how mature a manga is, death count is probably one of the less important factors.

kidopitz27
June 01, 2011, 06:49 PM
the answer why OP is still #1 is OP's story-line makes is top notch. Yes some of the chapters are slow but that slow pace makes you understand the story better and last but not the least "in my point of view" Trolling does not exist in OP

jorped
June 09, 2011, 09:15 AM
The best way I can explain why I think One Piece is number one is with a thought experiment:

If you take a survey of random people on the street and ask them "If you were in these situations, how are you more likely to act/react?"

Situation #1: Would you chase after someone who has blatantly rejected you as a friend to your face for over 2 years, and refuse to give up? (Naruto)

Situation #2: If you were bleeding to death would you refuse blood from the one you hate the most? (Fisher Tiger)

Situation #3: How likely are you to want to heal someone who just tried to kill you 5 minutes ago? (Orihime)

Situation #4: How likely are you to always walk around wanting to kill everyone in your way IF your brother slaughtered your family? (Sasuke)

Situation #5: How would you react if you did everything you could to save your brother from a fatal situation, but you failed because he did the same for you? (Luffy)

Situation #6: Would you ever threaten to beat someone into teaching you something? (Ichigo to Vizards)

P.S. I hope nobody takes offense to my critical portrayal of Bleach/Naruto. :amuse Just tryin to make a point here.

Very good questions, and i kinda understand the results that come from that answers, but only if i think that NarutoUniverse is the same as ours.
Naruto World is very different from ours, and what people fail to realize is that their actions, though they might not be normal in our world they are much more normal at Naruto World.
When people fail to realize this, and start judging a manga, comparing it to our world, of course it will make a lot of things seem stupid.
People, that don't understand why Naruto is still after Sasuke, failed to realize what Kishi really meant with the story.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

the answer why OP is still #1 is OP's story-line makes is top notch. Yes some of the chapters are slow but that slow pace makes you understand the story better and last but not the least "in my point of view" Trolling does not exist in OP

Oda is indeed a very skilled mangaka !
About the trolling , i remember one !
Crocodile was clearly trolled , there wasn't possibly for him to be defeated by Luffy, on that time !

Anduren
June 09, 2011, 10:28 AM
...Naruto World is very different from ours, and what people fail to realize is that their actions, though they might not be normal in our world they are much more normal at Naruto World.
When people fail to realize this, and start judging a manga, comparing it to our world, of course it will make a lot of things seem stupid.
People, that don't understand why Naruto is still after Sasuke, failed to realize what Kishi really meant with the story.

That is exactly the point i was making :) Although I dunno if it's fair to say it's the general public's fault for not understanding what it's like to live in a world that is different from the world they live in when the people living in that other world make decisions based on unfamiliar rationalizations. Since we're talking in reference to why One Piece is more popular, it goes to show how much the characters in one piece are easier for normal people to relate to without having to think outside the box....which doesn't come naturally to a majority of the "general public".

EDIT: I also wanted to add that its a matter of idealism vs pragmatism that makes a big difference in the reader's mind. It's all good in an idealistic sense to think that you can talk and wish your way out of war and violence (Naruto) or to think that if you train yourself enough you can beat any opponent or organization single-handedly (Bleach) but the reality is that pragmatically, evil must be confronted the way the strawhats don't back down against what they think is wrong: which earns them respect in the eyes of the reader; but at the same time, its not a situation where you're all powerful because you're the main character: there's a good possibility that even by the end of the series, the strawhats won't be the strongest characters in the One Piece world because to be pirate king doesn't mean to be the strongest/able to "conquer" the grand line. They just want to achieve their dream and be free... which is a universal human yearning anyone can relate to.

jorped
June 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
That is exactly the point i was making :) Although I dunno if it's fair to say it's the general public's fault for not understanding what it's like to live in a world that is different from the world they live in when the people living in that other world make decisions based on unfamiliar rationalizations. Since we're talking in reference to why One Piece is more popular, it goes to show how much the characters in one piece are easier for normal people to relate to without having to think outside the box....which doesn't come naturally to a majority of the "general public".

EDIT: I also wanted to add that its a matter of idealism vs pragmatism that makes a big difference in the reader's mind. It's all good in an idealistic sense to think that you can talk and wish your way out of war and violence (Naruto) or to think that if you train yourself enough you can beat any opponent or organization single-handedly (Bleach) but the reality is that pragmatically, evil must be confronted the way the strawhats don't back down against what they think is wrong: which earns them respect in the eyes of the reader; but at the same time, its not a situation where you're all powerful because you're the main character: there's a good possibility that even by the end of the series, the strawhats won't be the strongest characters in the One Piece world because to be pirate king doesn't mean to be the strongest/able to "conquer" the grand line. They just want to achieve their dream and be free... which is a universal human yearning anyone can relate to.

i agree with almost everything. Don't agree with the part when you say they won't be the most strong.
Their dreams and goals they want to achieve are impossible, if they don't.

Anduren
June 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
@jorped I guess what I meant to say was.....compared to shounen classics like the Dragonball series', Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Naruto, etc. the strawhats don't have to be the strongest in the world to achieve their goals. i.e. Being the pirate king and his crew doesn't require that they beat all 3 admirals + fleet admiral, every shichibukai and every yonkou because to Luffy, who's dream it is to be the pirate king, becoming the pirate king means to be the most free person in the world and nothing beyond that. This dynamic relationship with the other world powers can be seen manifested in Luffy's relationships with some of those people (Shanks, Hancock, and to a lesser extent Aokiji and Smoker ). I guess I'm fairly new to the shounen world :amuse, but the only other manga I've seen a similar dynamic of a power balancing act is in Hunter X Hunter.

Samui
June 11, 2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah. For some reason people expect Luffy to stand leagues above (prime) Roger, the Yonkou, etc.

White Rose
June 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
Great plot, great art make the manga

ilovemanga
July 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
Whoa there buddy. I agree with your first two points, but I have a few problems with your third one...

First of all, there are plenty of instances of characters in One Piece surviving things that should've been impossible, just like most other shounen. For example, Whitebeard being able to fight after getting stabbed in the chest with a giant sword and having half his FACE RIPPED OFF. Not til he got shot several times after did he die. And Franky got hit by a train when he was a kid and lived through that.

And lets not forget Pell carrying a freaking nuke into the sky and somehow surviving the explosion unscathed, with no explanation.

If anything, One Piece takes the whole living through absurd injuriers things further than Bleach does. At least Bleach actually outright states that the body of a Shinigami can handle alot more punishment than a human body can.

One Piece has had its fair share of asspull powerups too....one that I'm thinking of in particular is Zoro vs Mr. 1. Zoro was getting his ass handed to him because he couldn't cut through steel, and then all of the sudden he remembers a proverb his teacher said to him and then all of the sudden he cuts through Mr. 1 like butter. Definitely an asspull. Plus, Naruto had alot of help in the fight against Pain, and Sasuke has plenty of room to gain more powers, which he did after the Pain fight anyway, so thats not an asspull really.

1.WB is the only man who tied with the PK Gold Roger in a fight so naturally he's not easy to go down even with old age. In real life you would be dead yes. But this is one piece world, people have devil fruit powers, haki, and WB has been through many battles so of course he cant die that easily.
2. Franky was hit by the train yes ,that why his front body was damage so he has to replace with metals and use cola as his fuel .You dont call him cyborg for nothing. Again in real life it would be impossible
3.Pell is the strongest warrior in alabasta plus his devil fruit so it's understandable that he survived but it's never been shown that he survived it unscathed. If he was a normal human he would have blown to bits.
4. It only took mihawk a slash to take down mr 1 because of his swordmanship. Zoro always training since he small so i dont doubt he can pull it out during life and death situation. After 2 years training with mihawk i doubt mr1 can last long against him.

One Piece is not perfect but people love it because simply its story, vast world to explore, characters. For me the mini-arcs are unique and i dont think any other manga that have it. Charaters like coby, jango, fullbody have their own arcs even though they are minor characters and about 500 chapters later they were in the biggest war ever. Using the title page to serialize a mini arc , it's GENIUS. I cant think of any manga that make me want to read the title page.

Uriel
July 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
That is exactly the point i was making :) Although I dunno if it's fair to say it's the general public's fault for not understanding what it's like to live in a world that is different from the world they live in when the people living in that other world make decisions based on unfamiliar rationalizations.

Very good questions, and i kinda understand the results that come from that answers, but only if i think that NarutoUniverse is the same as ours.
Naruto World is very different from ours, and what people fail to realize is that their actions, though they might not be normal in our world they are much more normal at Naruto World.
Side note, that what is called "diegesis" of any fictional world. All the "rules, traditions and behaviors" that are common for the characters.
I don't know if I mention this before in this same thread (And I'm lazy to check too) but I think it's one of the most important things to look when you're trying to judge any piece of literature.
One Piece is really solid when it comes to it, and all characters reaction are coherent with the way the world is presented. It's why sometimes I've issues reading Bleach or Naruto (Even if I like them a lot) Characters not always react in the diegesis presented but in OUR diegesis which can be some times ridiculous. More if they saw a power before and are numb in front of it or likely to over react in front of it.

Notice that I'm talking about reactions and not asspulls and Deux Ex Machina.

kokil
July 25, 2011, 09:58 PM
i think it is because there isn't any inner character like inner hallow or 9 tails: when they loose there cool they start attacking allies also like some shit heads

bleach: theres only ichigo who can fight and other who are chad uriyo orihemi rukia are so weak compare to ichigo (though i kind of like inner hallow more than ichigo)

naruto: some of the characters have got interesting abilities but all are weak except shikamaru ( his brain cover up the strength department)

one piece: the whole crew is full of badass people though some of them are not people but the main point is that all 9 of them are strong

ilovemanga
July 26, 2011, 06:16 AM
i think it is because there isn't any inner character like inner hallow or 9 tails: when they loose there cool they start attacking allies also like some shit heads

bleach: theres only ichigo who can fight and other who are chad uriyo orihemi rukia are so weak compare to ichigo (though i kind of like inner hallow more than ichigo)

naruto: some of the characters have got interesting abilities but all are weak except shikamaru ( his brain cover up the strength department)

one piece: the whole crew is full of badass people though some of them are not people but the main point is that all 9 of them are strong

Only the monster trio are strong. The rest have different skills and you cant compare them but i agree with you

RaveDragon
July 27, 2011, 03:27 AM
^All members of one piece have thier different important role and all of them are required in the gang, they all are strong in thier own way and ALL the main characters have been developed and still are developing which makes them seem more realistic hence more fun ^^ Its not easy to do that and Oda does a good job as well as the fact he gives imp charcaters some past and develops the (Vivi, Kohza, recently Hodi, Otohime etc). He's even still showing character through the covers that we miss and how they are growing too >< no manga does this which makes it unique.