PDA

View Full Version : Life The way you turned out.

Zeltrax
May 31, 2011, 07:40 AM
I remember reading a thread like this over at another forum and found it very interesting.
It is really simple, remember back when you were a kid? With dreams and ambitions and thinking what or who you want to be when you grow up?
Everyone thought of this at least once about how great or awesome
their life is going be when they are an adult.

So here comes the question, looking back or thinking back when you were much younger, do you think you ever imagined yourself turning out the way you are now?

For me, its a no :sweat
It's not even close. When I was young I always thought that one day I'll be so popular and so famous that everyone will know my name.
But right now I'm nothing but a quiet and sometimes socially awkward young boy. I can't say much because I'm still growing up and won't consider myself an adult yet.
Oh and I wanted to become really really smart but I turned out to be a lazy snob.

saladesu
May 31, 2011, 09:05 AM
Aww, Zeltrax :hug I think the Singapore education system can be rather cruel at times. Don't be so hard on yourself. The Singapore system and mindset makes it seem like grades are everything, but they aren't. Your grades may not be the best, but there are definitely other things you are good at, other things that could make you so popular and so famous everyone will know your name ;) So don't give up that dream, alright? :cheerbunny

As for myself... I think I mostly turned out how I imagined I would when I was young. I used to tell everyone I'd graduate from Harvard or Oxbridge, and though this dream didn't come true, let's just say I did get accepted to one of those universities... Even if I'm not going there, much less graduating from there, in the end :sweat I also thought I'd end up becoming a doctor, because my whole family was pushing me in that direction. But in the end, I'm not going to become a doctor as in a medical doctor, but I'll technically still be a doctor, so... Same difference? :derp

I'm still happy though, so I think that proves that you don't need to turn out exactly the way you thought you would to be happy. I'm looking forward with some degree of trepidation to seeing how my life story continues to unfold from here :p I'm still 18 after all, and there's a long, long road ahead.

phio_chan
May 31, 2011, 09:09 AM
Totally unlike what I dreamed about before. XD
When I was a kid, I thought I was going to be a musician. Be it a singer, or a pianist, or a keyboardist. Then I wanted to be a violinist. As time went by, I realized it was not possible, so I "dropped" the standard a bit more and thought that even though I couldn't be a professional player, I could still play for fun. I even failed there! So sad of me.

I used to think that I would be a secretary as well. I liked to put things tidy, organize it, categorize things so it's easy for people to find or something. Yet look at me now, studying medicine till death. LOL~

My dreams as a kid were beautiful. I grew up learning that it would never be that beautiful, but I could make it pretty in my own way, in my current situation. :)

Medical Mechanica
June 01, 2011, 01:51 AM
Hm, interesting thread.

I don't think I had any expectations as a kid, if I did I don't remember them. I know I wanted to be a paleontologist for a lot of years, and although I still think that would be an awesome career, it doesn't look like a possibility right now.
Honestly, I think I was too wrapped up in playing Super Smash Brothers with the kid next door to dream up any kind of future. I'm happy and content right now though, so I guess everything worked out. At least I'm not disappointed haha.

Freid
June 01, 2011, 08:24 AM
When I was a kid, I had never really considered what I wanted to be when I grew up. As a kid, don't you just think that you're going to be successful one way or the other? You don't care for how or when, just that success and fame would just drop itself at your feet.

Asarii
June 03, 2011, 12:13 AM
When I was little I wanted to be a princess, a nurse, an actress, a figure skater and a novelist. I have an active imagination so regardless of whether those career options were feasible, I fantasized about what it would be like to be in that occupation. :p Recently I had my eyes set on becoming a criminal psychologist because I'm a huge fan of crime shows.

Right now my expectations are more down-to-earth. I'm not too concerned about what I want to be at the moment; any job that would allow me to interact with people from various parts of the globe is perfect. (My prospective major is anthropology.)

indieRokker
June 04, 2011, 03:39 AM
Hmm as a kid the one thing I remember of them all was probably to become a firefighter; I only wanted to do that because it was what my older brothers wanted to do. Me being the youngest and always following them, I thought I'd grow up and do whatever they did. I always thought I'd copy/follow them until we were old and shit.

Then I grew up and they did too and now (Im still growing up) firefighter was so out of reach. Atm; I'm trying to gain credits to get into Uni for engineering (Civil) hopefully.

Also; I was always quiet as a kid, now I'm a loud prick who talks about the stupidest shit. Only thing that hasn't changed was my hate for skirts and dresses (:

Naomidee
June 04, 2011, 11:30 PM
When I was little, I dreamed that I would have two kids, one boy and one girl. I hoped that I would find the perfect guy and we would get married and live in a nice little house and I would be good at cooking and I would maybe be a cartoonist or a writer to make a living. I also always thought "I'm not going to be a bad high schoolers like all those kids on TV. I'm going to be nice to my parents and be very good."

Turns out, I absolutely dislike children... Immensely. At this point in my life, I don't even want to have kids. That might change some time in the future, but it's pretty concrete now.

I don't want a guy to sweep me off my feet anymore. I don't want to belong to anyone, in fact. I cherish freedom like nothing else. I've had boyfriends before, but I think I'm too self-centered for them right now. The only things that I really value are school, my sisters, my mom, and my friends. I couldn't care less about anything else.

I don't want to be a cartoonist or a writer at all anymore! I want to learn chemistry inside and out. I do love to do art in my free time though still. XD

And I sure as hell wasn't good in high school! Aw lawd. Although I have a great relationship with my mom and we get along and everything, I've grown very fond of partying. And I do it way too much. x.x

So far, I love how I turned out. I really need to tweak some things though, there's no denying that.

Interesting thread. I like to read what people posted. It's nostalgic.

P.S. I'm dreadful at cooking!

yukihime03
June 06, 2011, 02:15 AM
I don't really remember what did I want to be when I was a kid. As a child, I don't think much about future but I do know that I never thought I would turn out this way.
I used to be an outgoing kid when I was in elementary school. Then, when I entered junior high school, I changed to be somewhat a loner, a homey girl. Then, I entered high school and I changed back into a more outgoing person but with a more dark side. :P
Now? I feel like a person with many personalities. XD
Since I was a kid, I like to study English, but I never thought I would study it seriously. Now I'm sitting here as an English-major student.
All in all, I'm not disappointed though. I like who I am now. :)

Zeltrax
June 06, 2011, 02:33 AM
Actually, I feel like that sometimes too
I'll ask myself what happened to that kid 2 years back who go to school and chases people around for fun :oh
and is popular everywhere?
I wonder what happened to that kid but I guess he grew up from that or something.
And I have multiple personalities too..:hurr

yukihime03
June 08, 2011, 06:59 AM
Actually, I feel like that sometimes too
I'll ask myself what happened to that kid 2 years back who go to school and chases people around for fun :oh
and is popular everywhere?
I wonder what happened to that kid but I guess he grew up from that or something.
And I have multiple personalities too..:hurr

Maybe he's not gone. It's merely sleeping.
When I change, it doesn't mean that my former personality is gone. It just go to sleep, which is why it seems like I have so many personalities now. I'm often confused with myself. I think that as a kid I'm far simpler.
Hahaha~ That's great. They say that people with multiple personalities are never alone. :P

Mama Satsuki
July 04, 2011, 10:31 AM
Nope, not really how I expected life to work. But, while life isn't going the way I imagined, I'm the adult I always wanted to be: nice with kids, liking cartoons, anime and videogames, and who value fun more than work. :p That's what I wanted the most when small.

When I was small I hated humans. I still think they are %$$#@!&$, but back then I wanted everyone (aside from family and friends) to just die and let the animals take over the world. Now, I still think "most peoples" are bad, but I learned to have faith in humanity. So much faith that, instead of caring for animals (original life plan), now I'm working to be a nurse.:amuse

I still have many dreams that are for sure going to change soon. Life just doesn't seem to go the way I want it to happen... But I haven't changed much. Most of my old childhood "friends" note on that, with the occasional "grow up" following shortly after... :notrust So much that the only friends I can keep are the ones that understand that life isn't the same for everyone. While partying is their thing, sleeping and playing is mine :derp

mattiaildivino
July 05, 2011, 03:33 PM
I thought I would become God,or something else. as you I'm still growing,we both haven't surrendered yet.

Adorien
August 18, 2011, 06:31 PM
I don't think that there was ever a time when I had an image of my future self. But I think I always thought that when I'm 17,18,19 or older, I'll be mature and stuff like that. And I always thought that when I'm older, I'll be beautiful. I had that idea that when girls grow up, they start being pretty. You know, like 'The Ugly Duckling'. :D

Well I've matured the past 1-2 years, but I still am a kid at heart. I think I always will be. :P As for the pretty part... meh.

The only thing that I thought will happen and has happened is that I have a boyfriend.
But it's still early for me to say how my life turned out. I'm just a soon-to-be university student.

BakaHaze
August 19, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry.

I still remember when I wanted to be a fireman.

Until I found that most of those in Australia are volunteers. :XD

Bohemia22
August 22, 2011, 10:59 AM
Oh I will be a rockstar one day. :^_^

Adorien
August 22, 2011, 01:45 PM
I will be too. :P But that wasn't my wish until recent years.

shaheer
August 25, 2011, 04:29 AM
interesting topic!
When i was a kid i dreamed of becoming a pilot. My dad used to work overseas so we seldom got to see him, my mother used to be very sad when he departed for work, so i was hard on myself to become one who drives the vehicles which flies to my dads place.
When I grew up a bit i was determined to be a physician, thats because my mother and my uncles(they were my guardians as me dad wasnt there for most part of the year)used to say a lot of positive words about the physicians, my maternal grand father was a very respected doctor of the place i lived in, so much so that the house he lived was named as Doctors house despite of the other doctor present in the vicinity. Naturally we were held at a higher esteem by other people so Medical line seemed to be a good one then.
during My O levels i was really enamored by the Mechanics part of physics, i took both mechanics in the math's optional and physics and scored distinction marks in my A level. From then on i decided to do sth that has to do with statics and dynamics and mecanical stuffs.
Presently by the virtue of that conviction i managed to study hard to enroll myself in the discipline of Mechanical engineering, adn am working through my under grad program. i do wish to shift my sub from mech to Material engineering in my masters and PhD. Though i dont know whether i can do it or not, if its not possible then i ll try to do my masters on fluid dynamics and try of aeronautics in PhD. so i have yet to see what i will be and whether i ll be according to my immediate dream, cuz the past dreams are history now
le end

liductan
September 02, 2011, 03:04 PM
All my dreams were a let down..
I wanted to be popular( I became known by people but not popular and it doesn't matter anymore), to graduated at the top of my class, and to go to one of the best colleges...Yeah right! I was no near that, particular because I didn't try to get there instead I was dreaming..
There were many things I WANTED to be. A psychologist, lawyer, filmmaker,a designer, and now I rested my case. I wanted to a be lawyer at firstt because I heard the job made a lot of money and because I liked to argue but I didn't know what the job required. The thing is I was mostly money hunger, maybe I had a reason to be since my family couldn't afforded to pay our rent and still now. So I set my mind on being a lawyer ( every one in my family were happy), searching on the internet what I had do..I found out that I would have to be in school for another 7-10 years after I graduated high school. At first this was not a problem, it became a problem when I wasn't sure what type of laywer I wanted to be..Then searching further,I also found out there were some skills I don't have that are require like organization, neat , mentally prepared and I become stress too easily.. ect Bottom line is I didn't like the idea of working on a case all the time because I like hanging out way too mcuh.. I'm not sure how being film maker became my interest, probably because I LOVE movies..I do have a great imagination ( we all do in a way), the thing is I felt my imagination was too much..I had a lot of movies made up in my mind and still do and I couldn't control them at the time, so I would rather daydream most of my time..The problem with this is.. I thought: what are my chances of being a good filmmaker? I am poorly at making just regular videos and finding the right school is very difficult, it's over ...and so I merely thought the idea was cool. Art is something I 'm very passionate about..I thought hmmm..
Why not try in an area I like? That's were the designer career came in, it was a great idea because I was passionate about this but my family did not approve ( I'm the type that does listen to my family for almost everything). After arguing about it with my family,I gave up.. Lastly, being psychologist was almost made up..I research and reasearch about it and began to prepare, I took AP psychology and all the other prepared classes.. This was the most passionate thing so far and I couldn't wait to do it..It was like something longing to come out for a very long time.. after awhile, can you guess?
yup! I drop it ( my family took over again)..
It took me awhile to find something else...
I finally chose International and Global studies..

Zeltrax
September 06, 2011, 07:56 AM
Aww.. it's okay. We all get lost in the road of life sometimes.
It's great that you managed to get back up and live your passion and try other things.
I hope that you are happy because really, that's the most important thing.
About the family thing, I really feel that it is a waste and since its your own future,maybe you should have fight for it.
But who knows, maybe the outcome now is better.
Yeah, life have a lot of maybes..
I can't help but share some kind of link with you.
I spent half of my life.. daydreaming.

BakaHaze
September 08, 2011, 04:33 AM
Zelx, you mean procrastinating??

:XD But yeah, that's what I'm good at too...:crying

Adorien
September 08, 2011, 10:08 AM
I have that procrastination problem too. And a concentration one. I used to do things more eaisly and when I think about them.

benelori
September 08, 2011, 04:14 PM
This is an interesting thread...I think personality-wise I'm satisfied how I turned out, and I say this in past tense, because it would take some major(most likely tragic) event to change my personality...

In other areas...I'm still turning out I guess:p...and it's not like I have a specific goal in mind so...

Paper
September 13, 2011, 06:50 AM
1st-5th grade: I wanted to be Batman
6th grade-3rd year college: I wanted to be a Rock Star (bassist/vox/producer).
work-present: I want to be a chef/owner of my own little bed and breakfast, that grows and raises everything we serve "in-compound".

Though my priorities may have changed, I'd still love to either be Batman or a Rock Star... what can I say? Boys don't grow up, we just get bigger... :P

shaheer
September 16, 2011, 04:53 AM
hat can I say? Boys don't grow up, we just get bigger... :P
QFT

Paper
September 16, 2011, 05:00 AM
There's a reason to why things like cars, boats/yachts, private airplanes, guitars, collectibles, and other forms of electronic devices are called "toys for big boys". Hahaha!

Ochiru
September 17, 2011, 04:42 AM
Sadly to say no I remember as a kid I wanted to be cool guy who would be a good at jokes wisecracking and such but well now that Im here all I can say that Im nothing like that since im very serious,anti social,quiet bit sour person but well I have my reasons and those are probably the right reasons why I became like this and not like the one I imagined becoming as a kid. All I can say that Im like I imagined myself as older is that well I always imagined becoming a great martial artist and well I think Ive kept that promise to myself quite well.But yeah possible reason for me not being like I imagined are few turns in my life which turned my life sour....