PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Baseball Manga

tonyyao82
June 09, 2011, 05:29 PM
Hey everyone, I was reading Mitsuru Adachi's Cross Game recently and I find it to be pretty good.

I was wondering what do you think is the appeal of baseball manga to Japanese people. Is it the Koshien or are the stories that good?

I did write about it a while ago on my blog, so I was wondering what do you guys think?

Kaiten
June 09, 2011, 05:47 PM
I believe it is because Baseball is the most popular team sport in Japan. Sports history has a long history, it is only natural that the most popular sport makes a popular subject.

tonyyao82
June 09, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hmm, that's true. I did read about the history of baseball in Japan and it's truly amazing to see the Koshien's impact on Japanese society.

I do have some other thoughts at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/6364038667/baseball-manga-japan.

Asarii
June 10, 2011, 09:37 PM
Not only is baseball the most popular sport, the koshien tournament is also a huge deal in Japan. Saito Yuki (a.k.a. the Handkerchief Prince) became an overnight celebrity when his school went to the finals and won in 2006; there's definitely a sense of glamor with baseball.

It's convenient to focus on a popular sport as opposed to an unknown one because the readers will be familiar with the rules/world, and thus there's less need for explantations.