June 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
http://static.mangahelpers.com/manga-covers/3489.png
My Girl (マイガール)
by Sahara Mizu
Demographic: Seinen
Genre: Drama, Seinen, Slice of Life
Status in Japan: Completed (5 volumes)
Published In: Comic Bunch (Shinchosha)
MangaUpdates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=22252)/MangaHelpers (http://mangahelpers.com/m/my-girl)

Kazama Masamune is your ordinary single 23-year-old man. A man that is touted as too young to be a father. But during one spring, his loved one passed away. Unknowingly one day he met up with a little 5-year-old girl, whom he later realized that she is his daughter that his lover had brought up without him knowing. Slowly his life is being changed for the better with the introduction of a new family member...

[hr]

Anyone reading this manga? I think it's a really sweet little series. Too bad scanlations are moving so slowly (currently on vol 3 out of 5). On the bright side, a new chapter is out by Storm in Heaven :)

Kaiten
June 16, 2011, 11:44 AM
I've been meaning to read this for a while, I like the mangaka. She did the adaption of Voices From a Distant Star, which was very well done. I may wait until scanlations are complete, but I've heard so many good things, I might not wait.

saladesu
June 23, 2011, 01:00 AM
Yup, I've read a few other of her adaptations, as well as some of her one-shots. I really like her work :) My Girl is incredibly cute and touching, I definitely recommend it! Scanlations may take next to forever to complete :s

---------- Post added June 23, 2011 at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was June 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM ----------

A new chapter so soon :zomg I'm so happy :woo

It was really sweet how Shuu-kun stood up for Koharu (and of course, cute that he denies he was doing so :p), and pretty significant that he used almost the same words that she said to him, on that girl who was bullying Koharu. I really like how Masamune went out of his way to go get dinner for Koharu and deliver it to her cram school, even though he knew she could have taken care of it herself and that he could just have let it go this once. He's really trying his best!

baboysai
July 11, 2011, 01:57 AM
i'll ask the question I posted in the features post. I've read about this, or encountered it somewhere while looking for new material to read, a long time ago. but I was reluctant to read it because at that time I was reading Usagi Drop and I thought their plots were very similar.

Save that this is seinen and the other josei. but maybe I'll never know until I read it huh?

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

hahaha I read it in one go, all 23 chapters, last night. -______________-

I cried almost every chapter, dammit! It's nothing like Usagi Drop in story telling so I can consider them as totally different works :tem This story is so sad. Maybe the one thing that I wanted to see was the realism of Koharu's character. Her childlike qualities don't manifest too much. She has few lines in the manga, as the POV is that of Masamune most of the time. And with those very few lines that she has, the things she says are too mature-sounding that sometimes you couldn't believe she was 5 or 6. I found this as a flaw, but overall, I think the manga is bittersweet and endearing.