PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Anime/Manga Fathers

ashher
June 19, 2011, 03:48 AM
Since we've one for mothers, and since its Father's Day, lets have one for fathers too. Also don't forget that here is a category for worst father too. In fact someone comes to my mind who can be counted in both categories: Namikaze Minato.

Bromamura
June 19, 2011, 04:22 AM
Worst
Gendo Ikari - Pretty sure what he did to Shinji most are familiar with.

Charlez zi Britannia - Mindf'd his daughter into being blind and crippled, implanted trauma of seeing her mother die in her arms. Mindf'ing Lelouch later on as well. Practised Social Darwinism in his own family, sent his children out as political bargaining chips and just acted like a total dick in general.

ashher
June 19, 2011, 04:26 AM
For some reason i kinda sympathize with ikari.

Zeltrax
June 19, 2011, 05:38 AM
Genzo Ikari is the worst kind of father.
He's the reason why everything in eva had to happen as it did and he couldn't get over the death of his wife.
No, I'm wrong..I figured he was just using her. Not even long after his wife deceased, he got it on with another woman.
What's worse is how he acts all grand and proud when he is a sick bastard inside.
I don't sympathize with him but I know how someone like him will make a great villain in a seinen.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Ugh, I just got CG spoiled..but its okay.
For the "best" father part I would nominate Nagisa's father, Akio Furukawa from Clannad.
I find him a very responsible individual and one that will not let things get him down easily.
He's also a great grandfather.

ashher
June 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
Genzo Ikari is the worst kind of father.
He's the reason why everything in eva had to happen as it did and he couldn't get over the death of his wife.
No, I'm wrong..I figured he was just using her. Not even long after his wife deceased, he got it on with another woman.
What's worse is how he acts all grand and proud when he is a sick bastard inside.
I don't sympathize with him but I know how someone like him will make a great villain in a seinen.

Ah aren't you being a bit harsh on him? I always felt that he's pretty much the same as his son...except that he was genius and ambitious. Which made him even lonelier and more incapable of communicating with anybody. Not even with his son.

for someone like him,losing his wife,probably the only person with whom he could communicate must be equivalent of losing the whole world.

saladesu
June 19, 2011, 11:01 AM
Minato is definitely a favorite for me as well <3

For worst, I think I tend to agree with those already mentioned - Ikari and Charles.

Another favorite dad would be Thors, from Vinland Saga. He's incredibly powerful and strong, but when he tired of fighting he gave it all up to live life with his family. And of course, the clincher would be how he sacrificed himself for Thorfinn, throwing away his sword although he had won whereas Askeladd was playing dirty. He also has an awesome quote - "A true warrior needs no sword".

jorped
June 19, 2011, 12:06 PM
There are a lot very good fathers but these are the ones that i am remembering now and that are indeed awesome :XD

Minato- No need to explain why :thumbs

Thors- He was also a great father and a great human

Daizemon Kaze - he isn't actually a father , but i see him like that ;) Wanna know why? Read Gantz :yelling

naruto-niichan
June 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
Ao no Exorcist: Can there really be any father more worse than Satan himself? :amuse

I agree on Thors being one of the best fathers.
Van Hohenheim from "FMA" would be another good example, as I think that he really cared a lot about his sons, even though his (early) actions made it looks the other way around.

saladesu
June 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Thought of another great, or rather, hilarious dad! :XD Haruhi's dad, in Ouran High School Host Club! He's so funny, and he's cross-dresser! He's always worrying about Haruhi, and shows his concern in the most hilarious ways (tailing her at the supermarket). Even if most of his actions are more for comedy relief and probably irritate Haruhi more than help her, I think it's obvious that he loves her a lot and does what he does out of concern for her.

k-dom
July 01, 2011, 02:00 PM
well I guess Hayate (from combat butler) parents can enter the worse category.

BakaHaze
July 02, 2011, 02:08 AM
Gendou...well, it depends on the depictions of him. In the original anime, he is the most screwed up sunuvabatch, and one hell of a cold hearted father. But with regards to the other manga's namely Angelic days (AKA Girlfriend of Steel 2) and Shinji Ikari raising project which both depict the alternate worlds of NGE, you actually see Gendou being a really passionate man. I mean, for starters, he changed his last name to his wife's. Also, there's a scene where Shinji's mum (forgot her name :S) asks about him and Shinji, and she's just like, "What, you're too shy to talk to him?" And there was that other scene, where Shinji's mum is just like, Sooo, Gendou didn't believe he was capable of loving anyone, and wasn't very good at being loved, hence the estrangement from Shinji.

As for Hayate no Gotoku, :rofl. Those parents are hilarious, man.

Which reminds me, of Gon's father, Gin! (Or is it Jin?) Whatever, he's just like, sorry dudes, I can't worry about my family, I'm too busy being a Hunter, yo. Also, don't come find me, I don't really wanna see you dude. :XD

And plus with all that crazy crap going down in Greed island, nstuff...he's just totally messing around with Gon.

destiny4ever
July 02, 2011, 10:03 PM
Worst

Albert de Blois from Gosick

I have never been fond of that character, I have never liked him; but after watching episode 19 I dislike Albert de Blois passionately. He is a monster; a horrible, cruel, twisted and despicable monster because he doesn’t deserve to be called human or man IMO. What he did to both Cordelia and Victorique was unforgivable and what he is doing right now to Victorique is deplorable. http://planetsmilies.net/kaos-not-tagged-smiley-4785.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

He is such a bad father that he doesn’t even deserve to be called that. http://www.laymark.com/i/m/m189.gif (http://www.laymark.com) He used his own daughter just as she was a mere tool, he never treated her as a human being let alone as his daughter. He didn’t love Victorique at all, not even a little bit.

Asarii
November 07, 2011, 12:18 AM
Worst father IMO is Sawada Iemitsu from KHR. He disappears for two years, comes back and forces coerce his son to be a head of a criminal organization and doesn't tell his wife what's really going on- even though he or their son could die at any given day.

On the contrary, the father I admire the most is Thorfinn's dad from Vinland Saga.

BakaHaze
November 12, 2011, 06:04 AM
Iemitsu is ridiculously irresponsible. Although I think the mangaka intended it in a funny/humorous way, but still =/

Asarii
November 13, 2011, 11:21 PM
Yeah, even though Iemitsu's antics were shown in a humorous light, I could never really laugh. :/ The fact that Tsuna wasn't overjoyed when he found out his father was coming home in the Varia arc makes me wonder what kind of relationship they had had in the past.

Josef K.
November 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
Worst father? That would have to be Vegeta, although he is also an epic dad to have, haha. Well another on maybe Charles zi Britannia? The guy was a real werido in my eyes, I did not understand his whole thing and I was glad the way he was dealt with.

zelllogan
November 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
Best: Ging Freecs

Asarii
November 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
Best: Ging Freecs
Would you like to give a reason or two? [hr]
He may not be the best father, but I did like how Edward and Alphonse's father (Van Hohenheim) did what he could for his sons.

BakaHaze
November 21, 2011, 07:41 AM
I could swearn Ging freeks falls under the worst category? I mean, he just ditched his son... like seriously.

He could have at least trained Gon to be hardcore buff...>__> :XD But I guess the story would be less epic that way cause then the main chara would be too strong.

shinsengumi
November 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
worst -

Jinsuke from Gamaran . he is the main villian after all . a heartless , cruel warrior

best -

Shuji Sumimura from Kekkaishi . (in a funny way) he is a househusband , cleans the house , cooks , washes and looks after the kids alone . there is no father like him in the manga world : )

benelori
November 24, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure about Ging...he's the same as Minato...the stuff that would make him worst father are the stuff that actually propelled and educated the sons, and made them what they are...so they incorporate both...

Lelouch's dad is a worst dad candidate that's for sure...egotistical bastard...

But for best...I think Kurosaki Isshin can be counted as best father, but Maes Hughes from FMA just tops them all:XD

ashher
November 28, 2011, 02:58 AM
Yessss...how could've i forrgotten Maes Hughes

destiny4ever
December 02, 2012, 06:10 PM
Initial D

Best

Bunta Fujiwara: He is not your typical dad and the way he trained Takumi as a driver was very unconventional and unique; in fact, every lesson he has taugh Takumi has been like that, but he really cares about his son and he's always there when Takumi needs him.

M3J
December 03, 2012, 12:01 AM
I dunno if I can consider Oga the best or the worst father, but he certainly is unique, in a funny way.

He threw an ice cube at En, Beel's older brother. After Hilda comically stabs him in the head with her umbrella sword, and En talks to Beel, Beel reaches for the glass, picks up an ice cube, and throws it at En. Three times! xD But, after a while, Oga started caring about baby Beel and does teach him good stuff, like defending himself and friends. He also suggested mechanical pencil as a Christmas gift for Beel. xD

Doraku
December 03, 2012, 03:48 AM
His name is already been mentioned several times in this thread, but to be honest Ikari Gendo is the worst father I've ever seen in Manga/Anime. He manipulates his only child to cause a huge catastrophe, not to mention he rapes him psychologically as well. Sugar coated lies are more dangerous rather than blatant violence in my opinion.

For the best father... I'm going to say Kurosaki Isshin from Bleach. There are still more secrets about him that has yet to be revealed, but I think he's a great father figure. Fun, strong, and care about his family in his own way.

Yuyunarutoballz
December 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
Would you like to give a reason or two? [hr]

I think that was sarcasm/a joke. Could be wrong though.
Best dad is obviously Goku though.

BlackLeggedDragon
January 03, 2013, 04:57 PM
The best might be Minato Uzumaki. He sacrificed himself and his wife in order to protect his son and give him strength and power for the future. The worst would probably be Monkey D. Dragon. The man hasn't even met his son! He left Luffy with Luffy's grandfather Garp who in turn abandoned him with mountain bandits.