PDA

View Full Version : Discussion What scanlators did not know about themselves

cmertb
June 24, 2011, 01:07 AM
"In general, pages added by scanlation groups create a “meta-narrator,” establishing the group as the ultimate authority over the original author/artist. Often this meta-narrator is introduced at the very beginning of a new chapter, and then disappears, reappearing again at the very end. To put this differently, the original manga narrative becomes a story that is framed within a larger story told by the scanlation team - their work to bring the new chapters published in Japan to global English audiences as quickly as possible." from Jeremy Douglass, William Huber, Lev Manovich. "Understanding scanlation: how to read one million fan-translated manga pages." http://softwarestudies.com/Understanding_scanlation_2011.pdf

That's it scanlators, you've been analyzed and your ulterior motives have been dragged out into the limelight. :darn

Also, who will find their group's credit page in that article? There is one from one of mine. :blink

saladesu
June 24, 2011, 01:29 AM
Haha, interesting. I only started translating manga after OM went down, so I'm not on there anywhere ;) But they call MangaHelpers a "scanlation site", which is far from accurate right now, and has been an outdated description for what, a year? It looks like a really interesting article though, I'd love to read the whole thing when I have more time.

I'm not sure if I agree with what is said of the motives of scanlators that you quoted... Though I never did think of it that way before. I usually skip right over the credits page anyway, unless I'm interested to know who translated the chapter or whatever :sweat

cmertb
June 24, 2011, 01:33 AM
How did you like the idea of estimating the number of scanlators by using the number of registered MangaHelpers members?

saladesu
June 24, 2011, 04:09 AM
Well, that's certainly a very inaccurate way of estimating the number of scanlators there are on the internet :sweat Not everyone here on MH is a scanlator, in fact going by the number of people with scanlator status, and even translator status since they're technically a big part of scanlation groups, the majority of our members aren't even involved with the scanlation "business" at all.

... Not to mention that we have a ton of ad/spam bots here, and I'm not too sure but even when we ban them, it's not like the "number of registered users" figure goes down :oh