PDA

View Full Version : Question Luffy's Gear Second

ownage404
June 30, 2011, 03:23 AM
I can't remember the chapter but i remember when Luffy first started using gear second Lucchi said that whenever he uses it, it'll eat away at his life. If someone remembers what i'm talking about can you confirm if this is supposed to be correct or maybe some mistranslation?

Vadz
June 30, 2011, 07:18 AM
yeah im sure i read that somewhere in EL incident... somewhere when luffy n lucci are vs-in inside EL...

ownage404
June 30, 2011, 02:11 PM
Alright so it probably is true lool thanks. I wanted to know because if it does eat away at his life, it'll probably mean he'll die by the end of one piece imo.

Naruffy
June 30, 2011, 07:24 PM
He says it here (http://www.mangareader.net/103-2531-18/one-piece/chapter-424.html) and in another earlier chapter. Luffy been using gear 2 in the post-time skip and it seems like he may of gotten past the negative effects, nothing's confirmed though.

kkck
June 30, 2011, 07:35 PM
Well, luffy did say his body still was not capable of fully handling the side effects of the technique. However as he said "still" or "yet" it did imply his body would eventually become accustomed to it. I daresay luffy has mastered gear two to the point where he can handle it with minimal side effects. Same thing could be said about gear 3. I do wonder about any particular new techniques luffy might have developed though....

ErosVp
July 01, 2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah! Lucci siad the techinique had side effects because Luffy wasn't strong enough to handle it properly, because he lacked stamina...

After the time skip, It seems Luffy got rid of any inconvenience....

ownage404
July 01, 2011, 12:34 PM
Ohhhh I was thinking that there was just this permanent side effect to it no matter how strong you were, my mistake. Do you think he can mix second and third now without being immovable like before or does he even need to do that now since he can use CoA on gear third?

mattiaildivino
July 02, 2011, 07:35 AM
Ii don't remember that sentence,I just remember that he didn't know what would happen. now that technique does nothing to him. anyway if something is said in the manga it can be changed later. in naruto rasenshuriken was said to be a technique that couldn't be thrown.but after some training he threw it. rufy has already lost 10 years with ivankov,oda must let him use the gears as he wishes.

ErosVp
July 02, 2011, 08:45 AM
Lucci stated http://www.mangareader.net/103-2527-24/one-piece/chapter-420.html!
It's clear he only compared to doping because Luffy's stamina was unable to keep up with the reinforcements the Gear 2 provided... Luffy was always out of breath because of that, STAMINA! After training two years his body is stronger and we see he can use Gear 2 without getting tired...

hyper_megaman
July 25, 2011, 06:25 AM
gear 2 is based on increased blood flow

it allows him to max out his muscle strength, at the expense of using up his glycogen/nutrients in general faster

it's based on nitric oxide supplements bodybuilders use to max out their muscle strength for that particular workout by removing blood flow as a limiter

u can NEVER get used to gear 2

it seems luffy now has better regulations for his usage of gear 2, he just increases the blood flow in the one limb he's using instead of using it on his entire body. spot gear2 ensures he increases the str/speed of the limb and doesn't waste the nutrients everywhere else. his proficiency at activating it also allows him to turn it on only when he needs it, and off whenever he doesn't, better regulating it

you can't adapt to gear 2, if oda based it on nitric oxide supps.

luffy should use gear 2 for strength training though.

it's like people asking 'wow, 5 years of gymming and u still get sore after weightlifting? u haven't adapted to it after 5 years?'
if u ever "adapt" to gym, and not feel soreness anymore, u're doing it wrong.

Klue
July 25, 2011, 06:37 PM
Whether it continues to be a risk or not, I believe it's one of those things that will never make a true impact on the story. Unless he dies do to over use after becoming the Pirate King.

But the manga would end at that point anyway.

hyper_megaman
July 25, 2011, 08:22 PM
I can't remember the chapter but i remember when Luffy first started using gear second Lucchi said that whenever he uses it, it'll eat away at his life. If someone remembers what i'm talking about can you confirm if this is supposed to be correct or maybe some mistranslation?

i think when lucci said he was slowly chipping away at his life he meant it metaphorically

i inferred it meatn that luffy would ultimately lose, that desperately using gear second would only extend his death, but he will eventually just die, that he should just give up and stop pulling stunts like that

luffy responds that it's better than just standing there as a freefrag and see his friends get hurt

increased blood flow gives you greater oxygen amounts provided to the muscles, and more glycogen, which are essentially fuels allowing you to use your muscles without nutrients as a bottleneck. using more strength just means you wear out faster, but you get to hit stronger.

vasodilation can be achieved naturally through long periods of training, where your body's own NO release catches up with your oxygen shortage in that particular muscle (see professional bodybuilders and the size of their veins), or through various supplements like the protein L-arginine, a precursor to nitric oxide, in addition to working out

i don't see how it could physically reduce anyone's life. if anything, these bodybuilders with their huge vasodiltaed veins are more likely to grow older healthier than any average person

luffy being rubber could of course artificially increase blood flow by pooling blood in his calves then pumping it all up in one shot rapidly. once the process is kickstarted, his heart chambers should be responsible for keeping it going as long as he keeps it lax enough to take in copious amounts of blood between contractions. he should then get the benefits of increased oxygen, increased glycogen provided to muscles, hence an increased useable strength limit, a higher metabolism, higher recovery, but faster using up of glycogen stores that eventually leads to hypoglycaemia and faster rate of acquiring muscular fatigue from microtrauma

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

It's the equivalent of rock lee's gate opening.

how anyone could say 'rock lee's body will get used to it' is beyond me

the whole point of gates is to remove mental limiters, allowing your body to use close to its upper physical limits. say your body, to keep itself safe, limits itself to using only 40% of your max strength. removing the mental limiters, you raise it to 90%, where you stay awfully close to the limit and your muscles are receiving damage from every move.

no matter how strong rock lee gets, he will always only be safe at using 40% of his max strength, and opening the gates to 90% will always cause huge damage to himself. there is NO way anyone can adapt to that

luffy's gear 2 is analogous to that. it's removing physical limiters of nutrient provision (glycogen AND oxygen) to his muscles, allowing for better muscle use, but at a greater rate of fatigue (just like weightlifting, even if you could dumbbell bench 30KG x6, u raise it to 35KG and u could easily drop to just 2 reps before failure), because your muscles receive much more damage per move and your glycogen stores are limited (unless u have a dextrose IV drip constantly plugged in, or your're a gifted ketogenic with huge fat stores. in other words, practically not possible).

now luffy should train with zoro while using gear 2. his strength would increase exponentially if he used that during the workouts, and after for the recovery

ErosVp
July 26, 2011, 06:51 AM
I don't really think Oda had that all in his mind when he invented the techinique.... Maybe he was just think it would be cool...

hyper_megaman
July 26, 2011, 08:16 AM
oda's been pretty accurate with a lot of facts so far, except for a few lapses like the iron ship in stomach acid issue

vasodilation is pretty much basic knowledge nowadays anyway, just not for people who spend their time hanging around this forum apparently

ErosVp
July 26, 2011, 09:37 AM
Of course vasodilation (of rubbermen also) is something everyone knows, it's always on the news besides amy winehouse death and EUA's debt increase.

Things like bubbles that nullify pressures, cp9 techiniques, fishmen karate, fossil clouds and gear 2 can only have much reasoning as a fiction manga can allowed... Overthink things is strange lol!

Quantized
August 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Kinda scary to think about it, Roger the Pirate King also died from illness and turned himself in, apparently to go out in a flashy style..

Luffy's gears could do the same to Luffy, giving him an early death at the cost of power, perhaps, the exact same happen to Roger.

Although I'd rather see Luffy grow old, as the pirate king, and if possible, as someone said, he gets used to the side effects <3

lawrence
August 27, 2011, 07:40 PM
i think the gears don't have harmful side-effects anymore. Gear two caused luffy to get exhausted quickly and he couldn't breathe normally afterwards. After the two years gap, he got stronger, and add haki armament to the gears. Gear three caused him to shrink for the same amount of time he was in the state. Afterwards, he made gear three stronger and he doesn't have the shrinking side-effect.

Naruffy
November 23, 2011, 03:28 AM
Kinda scary to think about it, Roger the Pirate King also died from illness and turned himself in, apparently to go out in a flashy style..

Luffy's gears could do the same to Luffy, giving him an early death at the cost of power, perhaps, the exact same happen to Roger.

Although I'd rather see Luffy grow old, as the pirate king, and if possible, as someone said, he gets used to the side effects <3

But can Gear 2 be considered an illness or just death from exhaustion?

MaiSiaoSiao
November 23, 2011, 03:50 AM
But can Gear 2 be considered an illness or just death from exhaustion?

exhaustion mostly.As it makes his heart pump blood faster through his body with pressure.Thats technique that only he can do as his a rubber guy.