PDA

View Full Version : Favorites Do you like Sport Mangas? If so, which are your favourites?

Miso
February 19, 2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah... here's the thread for our sport mangas.
What do you think about this genre? Do you like sport mangas or are they boring?
Which sport mangas do you like? Why?

Ok...I'm beginning.
First, I wouldn't make a thread about sport mangas if I don't like them. So you've got the first answer straight away.
Second, a good thing about this genre is that the plot mostly deals with character development. At the beginning those protagonists mostly don't even know the sport but somehow get into it willingly or unwillingly. And while they mostly suck at first they will get better with some effort. You can see how they struggle and grow by overcoming their obstacles.
Most sport mangas are highly competitive by nature. So these mangas don't get too boring as there are always matches to play and fights to win.

Good, and now we have my favourite mangas:
1. Hajime No Ippo
Wonderful story about a boy who learns boxing and becomes a pro. What I blabbered about character development some lines ago: here you'll find it too your full extend. Every fight is enthralling and there are always surprises coming so you don't get bored. But it's not only a string of fights you'll experience in this manga you also see him training at camps and also his inner feelings when he struggles about how to get better and why he has lost a fight.
2. SlamDunk
Great series about Basketball full of slapstick comedy but also a good story. It's a comedy-sports-manga and one of the best of its kind out there.
3. Prince of Tennis
About a boy who is a Tennis prodigy. Nice matches. What you can see there is pure tennis magic.
4. I'll (Generation Basket)
Also about basketball but not really comedy-style like SlamDunk. Here you can also find the typical rival plot between the main players of a basketball team. It's good but doesn't reach SlamDunk. The art is also quite nice.

xallisto
February 20, 2006, 01:15 AM
Id have to agree with u on those above there all brilliant, but i gotta admit Slam Dunk is porbably the funniest anime/manga ive ever seen lol

Prince of tennis is good although a little wierd, i dont think its an accurate representation of Tennis but its fun to watch all the same :)

Miso
February 20, 2006, 01:21 AM
Prince of tennis is good although a little wierd, i dont think its an accurate representation of Tennis but its fun to watch all the same :)

Absolutely true. That was the reason why I originally wrote "pure tennis magic". It reminded me of the anime "Mila" which dealt with a young girl playing volleyball. They also had all that fancy techniques which are absolutely impossible in real life.
PoT is similar in these regards. But nevertheless it's fun to read.

Gold Knight
February 20, 2006, 02:18 AM
Sports manga is fascinating to me because they usually do a good job of getting me interested in sports in which I previously had little interest.

I got into Hajime No Ippo a while ago due to my friend Justice (a moderator at NF). Now that I'm done with One Piece, I'll likely be moving on to reading more of that. I like it so far (only read the first volume); Ippo's a very likeable character.

But the sports manga I was already enjoying long before I read Hajime no Ippo are:

Whistle! - story & art by Daisuke Higuchi.
It's about a little teenager kid named Sho Kazamatsuri whose dream is to be a professional soccer player but had to switch schools in order to get an opportunity to play on a team. He has to overcome some things to get accepted, but his love for the game eventually inspires the players around him to play at a high level. It's a very, very well written story and I love all the characters in it, and it's even fun to get to know the opponents too ( who are just kids themselves too ). Soccer is a very popular sport in many countries of course, and that definitely includes Japan, and I think this is the MOST popular soccer manga, so they do a good job of explaining the game and all the various team styles and keeping it interesting. If you want to read this one, though, hopefully it's being released in your country (as it is in America by Viz) because the problem is that there's a gap in volume scanlations at the moment. You have the first couple of volumes scanlated and then there's a skip to later volumes. If you can buy it, though, and you're a fan of sports, I think it'd be worth giving a shot. This manga managed to get me interested in a sport I never thought I would.

Eyeshield 21 - Story by Riichiro Inagaki and Art by Yusuke Murata.
This is American football being played in Japan, and as a former football player I was pretty interested in this manga and haven't been disappointed so far, though it's more zany than Whistle!, kinda like One Piece. Wimpy teenager Sena Kobayakawa is the star of this series, and after being bullied all his life, he gains confidence as he becomes the starting running back for the Devil Bats of Deimon High School, and it doesn't hurt that he's one of the fastest ever at that position. What I enjoy about this series the most, though, is the quarterback - Hiruma. He's fiendishly awesome and is as demonic as the mascot of his team. If you enjoy One Piece and Hajime no Ippo, I'd strongly recommend this one.

antukecik
February 20, 2006, 05:29 AM
Yeah Eyeshield 21 is a great manga

shinwei
February 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
Definitely Slam Dunk! I really loved Slam Dunk.

Also Hajime no Ippo - I it more than Naruto. Its just so cool/funny/awesome.

I hear a lot about how Ashita no Joe pretty much invented the sports manga genre, and how its supposed to be the greatest of all time, but I can never find a good amount of scans for it - so I haven't read it.

Miso
February 23, 2006, 03:17 AM
I personally don't like Eyeshield 21 much. I know that it seems to be very popular and it's surely a more funny sports manga. The football teams are designed nicely.
However the story couldn't catch me. After reading chapter 20 I just stopped because I thought it was boring. There wasn't enough development for me in this manga.

Gold Knight
February 23, 2006, 03:24 AM
I didn't really think I would ever meet a girl who would like Eyeshield 21 all that much, though Rukia (of Soul_Society who translates Bleach ) proved me wrong. But I still think it's more for guys anyway so I'm not surprised.

devo
February 24, 2006, 03:53 AM
I downloaded as much Eyeshield21 as I could find thanks to the glowing reccommendations in this thread and have been reading it over the past couple days. 75 chapters in and loving it so far. My only question is, is Fucking-Manga still scanlating 'em? The forums seem somewhat active but I'm not sure if they're still at work.

There's over 150 chapters out there, so thankfully, there's still a lot to read. ^_^

Edit: Never mind, found out on my own.

barbapapa
February 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
Eyeshield 21 is definitely my top-favorite; I love comedy mixed with shounen
second favorite has to be Hajime no Ippo, really awesome manga with great characters!

venicia777
February 25, 2006, 06:13 PM
i havent found many sports manga/anime around. of course the sports field can be a little too intimidating. but i have liked all the sports manga i have read- some of them really well. On my list the best 3

Hajime no Ippo(and watched all 75 episodes of anime or was it 76). Awesome boxing story. The fight scenes were really intriguing and kept me always interested.

Initial D- I love the races. Nothing more to say.

And

Eyeshield Nijuu ichi- this is just great(and theanime as well).

Miso
February 26, 2006, 01:49 PM
Initial D- I love the races. Nothing more to say.

Ah...I forgot that one :redface. It's really an interesting manga for racing fans. I also like it. It's really awesome how Takumi with his old 86 is racing against all that pumped up street racing cars.

One Eyed Sharingan
March 11, 2006, 04:37 PM
there are some sport mangas that i like and there are some that i don't
me likes Eyeshield 21 da best!!!!! nice artwork and plot....and pretty Mamo-nee chan ^_^
the other thati like are H2, Slam Dunk, Harlem Beat, Hikaru no go too (is it counted as sport???)

Miso
March 11, 2006, 04:56 PM
I think Hikaru No Go can be seen as sport manga. Chess is sport, so Go is sport, too, I think.

What is Harlem Beat about? I checked www.manganews.net but there wasn't a summary.

Gold Knight
March 12, 2006, 04:37 AM
I agree, Hikaru no Go falls into that category of being "competitive game manga" and that's basically what sports are all about.

And if I had to guess Harlem Beat is about basketball ( Harlem Globetrotters ) though I wasn't able to find any info on it either.

chin sai
March 12, 2006, 05:41 AM
does dbz count as sports manga if so the hell yeah

Miso
March 12, 2006, 01:39 PM
Why should Dragon Ball Z be a sports manga? It's about fighting. Then Naruto also would be a sports manga because they fight, too..... :notrust
A sports manga is a manga which deals with SPORT - it can be a fighting sport like boxing or judo or karate or whatever - but not fighting in general. That's no certain sport.

chin sai
March 15, 2006, 05:16 AM
ok i got a huge amount of eyeshield but can only read in small doses

zetman
March 30, 2006, 11:58 PM
For me,Eyeshield 21is the best..:)

Meijin no Kori
March 31, 2006, 12:17 AM
Currently, for me it's Whistle! And that's because I really haven't read any other sports mangas. But I'm going to try to read Eyeshield 21 this weekend (and maybe sometime after that, Hajime no Ippo, since I've heard good things about it), so we'll see if I like it better or not.

ymcauloser
March 31, 2006, 12:31 AM
POKEMON, gotta catch them all. Yes it is a sport because if it was real u kno it would be on espn

Meijin no Kori
March 31, 2006, 12:47 AM
POKEMON, gotta catch them all. Yes it is a sport because if it was real u kno it would be on espn

Nope, not a sport because it's not an existing sport and it isn't called a sport in the series. =p[br]Posted at: March 30, 2006, 07:45:07 PM_________________________________________________And it seems I won't read Eyeshield 21 yet, seen as there appears to be a massive break in the series (something like chapters 90-167).

msuchiha
April 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
Nope...they suck.

Miso
April 24, 2006, 03:06 AM
Nope...they suck.

That's an honest answer! :D Could you tell us why you don't like them or what you don't like especially?

Chidoki
April 24, 2006, 02:09 PM
Eyeshield 21 and Prince of Tennis are two of my favorites. I haven't seen much of the others but I will be following them as well. Another of my big time favorites is Initial D...although I'd say this series belongs more in the car/automotive/racing rather than a sports section so in a way I don't consider it sports, but it is a competitive series.

NeoShweaty
April 25, 2006, 09:37 PM
Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo>>all other sports manga. I love the pace, characters, action, comedy and epic fights/games that both these manga have

shinwei
April 26, 2006, 04:58 AM
Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo>>all other sports manga. I love the pace, characters, action, comedy and epic fights/games that both these manga have

100% agree. Someone once told me that Ashita no Joe was the sports manga to end all manga, since it was the one that started it all, but it's really hard to find so I was never able to read it.

Miso
April 26, 2006, 02:52 PM
Those two series are truly on the the top of the pyramide of the sports genre and among my favourites (as you may see in my first post).
I'm just too sad that SlamDunk ended. I have hoped for a 2nd story arc. :eyeroll

Of Ashita no Joe I've never heard I must admit.

NeoShweaty
April 26, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have also known that some people say that ashita no joe is damn good but scanlations are up to chapter 24 and i doubt it is ever getting licensed. I would scan it but im tired of going on wild goose chases for translators. It is like if it isnt a jump manga then i cant find anyone ever

barbapapa
April 26, 2006, 05:19 PM
Well Hajime no Ippo and Eyeshield are the best sports manga I've read up till now. I still need to read more of Slam Dunk tho, I liked what I read so far.

NeoShweaty
June 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'll sticky this topic. I know it is out of the blue but look forward to the last fight in ashita no joe to be scanlated soon by ko-scans. I feel that it is one of the more famous moments in mangadom and i would rather not wait a few years for DTM to get up to it.

siegfried
June 30, 2006, 08:39 AM
I like mitsuri adachi mangas(especially rough) and suzuka.they are in romance genre more than sports.Imo pure sport mangas mostly suck.

I watched the anime of Slam dunk and it was hilarious.it was very realistic unlike some other series.

NeoShweaty
June 30, 2006, 08:50 AM
there are few pure sports manga that i have read. I mean i have read Hajime no Ippo, which is all about boxing but it is also about the characters...just see the topic i started, Tough (all about fighting with little plot except for a vague father-son bond. Good for a MMA fix), Mr. Fullswing (comedy more than anything so far. Reminds me of Slam Dunk alot in a very good way), Eyeshield 21(like Hajime no Ippo), Buzzer Beater (saw it and it was goodish but nothing like what i expect from Inoue after reading Slam Dunk), Slam Dunk (nothing needs to be said), Rookies (loosely about baseball so far. Mostly about the characters) and probably some others.

As you can see, i love sports manga.

siegfried
June 30, 2006, 02:03 PM
I have read the first volume of hajime no ippo and I didnt want to go on.I sometimes watch real boxing matches.that manga didnt give me the feeling of boxing.I mean if you adapt dbz to a sport manga you get hajime no ippo.this is the impression I got.he seemed to power up all the time.

I dont want to say a manga neccesarily be realistic.I even read kenichi the strongest disciple.it is the most absurd manga I have ever seen.but it is funny.

btw how many volumes are there for hajime no ippo?man it is too long.

NeoShweaty
June 30, 2006, 03:28 PM
there are 76 volumes of Ippo. If you stopped after the first volume you miss the greatness. The characters are strong in that, yes, but not dbz level. You must be confused with another manga. The mangaka does a good job capturing the feel of boxing while still incorporating some of the more unrealistic elements of the series into it too.

Phatshady912
July 01, 2006, 12:35 AM
Seriously putting down Hajime No Ippo after 1 volume is a really bad idea.

So lets see... HNI, Slam Dunk, Real, Power!(Girl got game), Adachi's many manga, ES 21.

barbapapa
July 01, 2006, 03:12 PM
A good way to get into Hajime no Ippo is start watching the anime. It goes at a pretty fast tempo and covers about 35 volumes in 76 episodes, a movie and an OVA. If that doesnt hook you, something's wrong with you xD

NeoShweaty
July 01, 2006, 06:17 PM
amen hokage

admirenkiwi
July 08, 2006, 09:06 PM
I think Major is a good sport!
Its about a kid who was about 5 and wants to be a pro like his dad and then the story goes on to until hes in middle school going to high school and still going pro.
Yea, you get to see all those peoples reactions on their faces when they see one kick ass player whose too good for his age and plays like a pro.
But I also like Hikaru no Go.
Man that anime was soooooooooooooo good I wanted to start playing Go except my brains didnt go for it.-_-
Whistle! was a good one too!
a little boy chasing after his goal to be a soccor player.
Except hes in highschool? I think and makes a good player for his teamates.
Eyeshield 21 is also one of my favorites!
Sena the main character just makes me want to keep reading! Not only him, his teamates are cool too! Hiruma's Funny!^_^
Is Hunter X Hunter considered a sport?
If it is its definitly in.
Whoever watches it or reads it should know how GOOD it is!!!
ITS THE BEST!!!!!!
For prince of tennis, its good but the anime kinda stopped after one episode of the I dont know what you call it (the country tournament?........uh..you know when he came back from americas tournament...the latest episode)well, yea but the manga luckily continued with it.
[br]Posted on: July 08, 2006, 08:56:02 PM_________________________________________________

I think Hikaru No Go can be seen as sport manga. Chess is sport, so Go is sport, too, I think.

What is Harlem Beat about? I checked www.manganews.net but there wasn't a summary.
I dont know if you know already but If you still want to know what Harlem Beat is about, yeah its basketball and really, its also a very good manga!
its about a guy, i think starting HS. who tries out for every sport but couldnt be good at it and then he tried basketball, what do you know, hes got some moves. Dont want to spoil it for you if you havent read it.
You could buy them at book stores. Its a good book though, I liked it, and I think you'll like it too.^_^

Miso
July 09, 2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the info, mds. I'll look if I can get it in the local bookstore.

Ares_04
July 12, 2006, 08:23 AM
"I have read the first volume of hajime no ippo and I didnt want to go on.I sometimes watch real boxing matches.that manga didnt give me the feeling of boxing.I mean if you adapt dbz to a sport manga you get hajime no ippo.this is the impression I got"

Obviously its not Ippo. Ippo is really realistic and the moves they do can be done by all, with training. However the moves are a exaggerated in their greatness a little. I think its one of the most realistic sports mangas out there.

ibra87
July 12, 2006, 09:59 AM
I don't really know what kind of question this is :blinking I only like a sport manga if it's good, otherwise not :S Though I personally like fighting ones more.

About the ones I like:

Captain Tsubasa - Almost no one knows it :p but it's one of my all-time favorites.

Slam Dunk - I bet you know why I like this one.

Other than those, I don't remember that i have read any (actually watched).

Miso
July 12, 2006, 12:59 PM
Captain Tsubasa even has an anime series which is quite nice.
It's also aired in Germany...:)
I really like the soccer/football theme with this one.

shinwei
July 15, 2006, 12:16 AM
Slam Dunk is actually pretty realistic amongst sports mangas. I know it starts off kind of unrealistic as you see weird beams following the basketballs, but after a few volumes that all goes away. There are no "super moves" that are performed by any of the characters, ever. It's just pure basketball dramatic awesomeness + comedy. Purely awesome.

ibra87
July 15, 2006, 04:21 AM
Captain Tsubasa even has an anime series which is quite nice.
It's also aired in Germany...:)
I really like the soccer/football theme with this one.

I've seen an episode or two of that one. It's the new Tsubasa, where they actually just improved the animations. The first version of Tsubasa had crappy ones :p But luckily, the story is the same. I just never got to see more than the first 3 seasons :( Oh well. That's just my luck (since all the subs on the net are in French).

Slam Dunk is actually pretty realistic amongst sports mangas. I know it starts off kind of unrealistic as you see weird beams following the basketballs, but after a few volumes that all goes away. There are no "super moves" that are performed by any of the characters, ever. It's just pure basketball dramatic awesomeness + comedy. Purely awesome.

It is? I've only seen the anime, and there don't seem to be anything with beams or such. All realism from the start, but of course, the manga is different.

kaguyanas
July 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
EYESHIELD21 is one of the best mangas i have ever read.
i didnt think much of it at first, but a couple of girls told me about it (girls do like it)
after i read the 1st chapter..i was hooked. :darn
cudnt get enough!! :smile-big
i recommand it to ANYONE who likes comedy :smile-big
n still twitchin for F-M to fill the gap :s

fishwaffle
July 27, 2006, 12:09 AM
I enjoy Eyeshield 21 quite a bit, though my absolute favorite sports manga is Katsu. Too bad I can't find anything past chapter 112. Can anybody help?

rennokun
July 30, 2006, 01:46 AM
Eyeshield and Hajime no ippo is the sport manga i read.

since im a Judo freak ans cant stop thinking about Judo i would like to see a judo manga any1 know a good Judo manga?

shinwei
August 01, 2006, 03:29 PM
I enjoy Eyeshield 21 quite a bit, though my absolute favorite sports manga is Katsu. Too bad I can't find anything past chapter 112. Can anybody help?

Get on #Lurk in IRC...

DraiGoks
August 02, 2006, 03:52 AM
i had read the sports manga so far already.. here's:

1.Hajime no Ippo - Boxing, so awesome manga tho

2.Fullswing - Baseball, soooo comdey dat newbie guy >.> if u read dat..it will make u lol

3.Crossover - Basketball, it's bit very smiple to Slam Dunk but it's very different style..dat guy's short n run so fast >.>

4.Slam Dunk - Basketball, it's great manga of basketball..eww it's end of manga that's sux but it's wonderful n so comdey..

5.Katsu - Boxing, Genius boxing was die also he has son n he become boxing like his father n aim for pro..if u read n u'll understand^^

6.Eyeshield 21 - America Football, damn fking funny dat guy captain of demion bats badass >.<

7.Prince of Tennis - Tennis, wow it's difference style of hitting balls way of kind things..damn good if u read the anime :D

8.Break Shot - Play Pool, so awesome just like pot's style..err they shot so different kind of shots like they can do it jump and spin something like that also there's more..>.>

9.Bowling King - Bowling, ahhh so funny guy n who can lift the ball 16 weight by his left arm..he's short around 150 or so..it should be great if u read dat manga :D

10.H2 - Baseball, it's alright that story the guy who can throw so fast without they hit then out all the time..interesting..:)

11.Hikaru no go - like Chess but it's called Go, errr hard to example abt this sport but it's interesting even i can't play like dat lol only i can do it is chess advanced xD

12.Initial D - Car, they doing match rach all the street cars..dat guy Takumi use old car AE86 beat all of fast cars of his amazing skills in his own car..>.> damn good even he can do it with drift and more wat he can do it..i don't read manga sry only anime..i watched all the stages (1-4) so far..not bad tho :D

13.Noritaka - Kicking Boxing, he's tall n thin but he's strong with his kick..he can kick thier own ass who from boxing club even he is
small >.> also he want to be strong man cos he have who he love girl..that's wat point girl say "sry only i like strong man without weak" lol that's funny story but great magna tho too.

The ranks of numbers didn't matter dude..all of good manga though n some awesome sports also i love all too^^
plus some of them have anime which i had been watched it..quite nice :)
Oh yeah, there's more sport manga ..err i can't remember wat's called thing that i had been read so far -_-"

rennokun
August 05, 2006, 08:30 AM
no judo T-T
btw i dunno chess its a sport

fishwaffle
August 13, 2006, 12:51 PM
Get on #Lurk in IRC...

I just tried, but it says I have to register my name. How can I do this?

ibra87
August 13, 2006, 01:27 PM
I just tried, but it says I have to register my name. How can I do this?

it's basic knowledge, and its usually said everytime they ask you to. I think it was something like /nickserv help register, or /nickserv register help. Try both and you will get the help needed ;)

Dustwhisper
August 15, 2006, 06:44 AM
Hikaru no go (i call it a sport =D)
Prince of Tennis
Slam Dunk
Hungry Heart Wild Striker
Major
Dan Doh
Fight no akatsuki
Whistle
Eyeshield 21
and more =D

b.a.r
August 31, 2006, 02:36 AM
Eyeshield and Hajime no ippo is the sport manga i read.

since im a Judo freak ans cant stop thinking about Judo i would like to see a judo manga any1 know a good Judo manga?

shin kotaro makaritoru, i got 11 vols if you want it

l337Shinobi
September 05, 2006, 02:10 AM
Not in any order but:
Hajime No Ippo
Prince of Tennis
Initial D
Tough
Eyeshield 21
Initial D
Bowling King
Mr. Fullswing

And Airgear... not sure if futuristic rollerblade fighting is gonna count as a sport or not

Kratos
September 08, 2006, 08:31 PM
i really like Slam Dunk but kind of hate the ending (if u read it u know what i mean)

NeoShweaty
September 08, 2006, 08:42 PM
true. Slam Dunk is and was great. However, i have learned to channel my hate of the ending into a more benefitial venture, i.e. learning why the ending is what it is

I think that the ending was less about the game or the result of the game but about having the cement dry on the proverbial edifice that was shohoku. I mean those guys gave all they had and more so for the team and the four guys that, basically, made up that team. Hanamichi proved that if you work your ass off then it will pay off and he proved that even in a sea of true "geniuses" he could rise to their level. He fucking was injured and still tried to play for the team, not for the win. Rukawa (i think, its been a while) finally was able to take the next step in his game by acknowledging that no matter how good he is, he can't win the game for his team alone. I think when hanamichi gives Rukawa the last, and game winning shot, he finally learns that hanamichi is the real deal and that the team is the real deal. Akagi was the glue in the middle that finally stopped letting sannoh (that was the championship team, right?) dictate his game and he played his game. Mitsui was like hanamichi in that he was running on empty for the majority of the game but still managed to fight for the team and do it for himself and akagi because they really had no more shots at basketball. I forget the other guys role...
Anyway, yes the ending was abrupt but in some ways, continuing would have lessened the impact of the game and the struggle that each of the characters had to go through in order to actually win.

HOWEVER, despite my understanding of all this, i still would kill to see slam dunk 2 in the works.

Luckas
September 09, 2006, 04:45 AM
I really want to Slam Dunk to continue, but I think it was a good ending only a little abrupt.

siegfried
September 09, 2006, 05:30 AM
I dont know if it is too late but mangadownlaod.net has katsu.

3.Crossover - Basketball, it's bit very smiple to Slam Dunk but it's very different style..dat guy's short n run so fast >.>

Did you read the raw?Because only 13 chapters scanlated so far and it is not enough to decide if it is any good.

Kratos
September 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
i havent read many sport manga so far but the one i had read are
Slam Dunk
Change Guy (really good fighting manga)
Tenjou Tenge and
Aiki (it's like Tenjou Tenge but more easy to understand)
and thats it :p

Fullmetalsasukefreak
September 15, 2006, 07:35 PM
Whoa, my class at school kinda had a short discussion about the Harlem Globetrotters in class. (we read a passage on them) My fave sports manga is Eyeshield 21. Second would be Hikaru no go, if that counts. I've never watched/read slam dunk, and Idont really like Prince of Tennis or whistle much.

weixiaobao
September 15, 2006, 11:03 PM
I read quite a few sport manga which i dun remember the name, everybody in this topic seem to like Slam Dunk very much so maybe i should start reading it.

How come Miso dun like Eyeshield 21 (totally shock)? It is the only few manga (other included one piece) can really fire me up and just want to beat something or someone to channel those firery energy.

And Do anybody know "Kattobi Itto"?
I don't know if it still on going but the last time i read it like six seven years ago.
It pretty good and funny (about soccer).

NeoShweaty
September 16, 2006, 02:35 PM
Slam Dunk is by far the best team based sports manga (imo, Slam dunk>>eyeshield and i really like es21)

Kratos
September 17, 2006, 01:01 PM
Slam Dunk is by far the best team based sports manga

yes that's true

Optimist
September 18, 2006, 01:22 AM
why slam dunk isn't as popular as some mangas like naruto ou dbz ?
for me it isn't only the best sports Manga but the best manga in the history ( a bit exaggerated :p )

shinwei
September 18, 2006, 12:47 PM
Why is Slam Dunk not as popular as Naruto?
http://www.comipress.com/?p=195

Slam Dunk is WAY more popular than Naruto. In Japan, Dragonball, Slam Dunk, and One Piece are the three most popular shonen series ever. Kochikame doesn't count.

NeoShweaty
September 18, 2006, 04:36 PM
i have seen that. Going by the numbers there (and actually taking a few million away from naruto and even one piece and even taking away another few million from dragon ball in order to make the volumes all 31) Slam Dunk is nearly THE most popular manga ever in japan. Three cheers for Inoue!

ssjohn
September 18, 2006, 05:04 PM
I havent read slam dunk >.<

I like sports mangas but i havent read alot..

Whistel! (soccer) Eyeshield 21 (football) Prince of tennis (Tennis) And Overtime (baseball) are about all i read >.< so i cant pick a fav

Kratos
September 18, 2006, 05:36 PM
Why is Slam Dunk not as popular as Naruto?

maybe because the ending of Slam Dunk was kind of gay

NinjaKai
September 22, 2006, 01:52 AM
Where do I start.

Capeta
Hikaru no Go
Eyeshield 21
Whistle
Open Sesame
Idaten Jump
Touch
Hungry Heart: Wild Striker
Ring Ni Kakero

I'm pretty sure theres a few more.

karasu-
September 22, 2006, 12:52 PM
Oh, gosh. Actually I haven't read that many sports mangas.. but.

My current obsession is Eyeshield 21. Yes. It got me totally hooked to american football. Pure awesomeness. The characters are great - Hiruma is the first character I've actually worshipped so much, love that guy - and the story is too. How I like is that main character isn't a god/already a star player etc - like Ryoma Echizen *cough* - but just a wimpy kid with really fast legs. And there has been many moments while watching/reading ES where I have almost bit my nails off. ( Sena vs. Shin is just.. something too exciting. wow. ) Sorry about this blabber. I really love that series.
Second may be Hikaru no Go, although it was a little boring at first, it became better and better. And in the end I almost cried. Wow. <3
Prince of Tennis. (do I need to say anymore?) ;3

And yeah. I'm a girl.

Kratos
September 22, 2006, 02:43 PM
Where do I start.

Open Sesame

yeah i like this manga too, is pretty funny...the only problem is that the scalation group take to long

Luckas
September 22, 2006, 05:54 PM
yeah i like this manga too, is pretty funny...the only problem is that the scalation group take to long
I have a feeling I'll never know the secret regarding what happened at Nami island when the main characters were children What do you think?

Kratos
September 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
i think a got an idea but im not sure

Luckas
September 22, 2006, 06:26 PM
I hope I'll see the end. Do you know which chapter Open Sesame is in Japan?

Kratos
September 22, 2006, 06:30 PM
no i have no idea :crying :crying

NeoShweaty
September 22, 2006, 06:43 PM
i just like to say that since many of you seem to like sports manga. You should check out Over Time. (the topic should be right under this one)

barbapapa
September 24, 2006, 01:29 PM
I really wish I could read all of Slam Dunk soon. But I dont want to read it on scans. I feel i have to be able to enjoy this in book form.
Fingers crossed for Kana releasing it in Dutch. Cause it seems kinda lost on the American manga market. Fools.

Luckas
September 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
I really wish I could read all of Slam Dunk soon. But I dont want to read it on scans. I feel i have to be able to enjoy this in book form.
Fingers crossed for Kana releasing it in Dutch. Cause it seems kinda lost on the American manga market. Fools.
If I remember well the scanlations for Slam Dunk are good, maybe better than wait.

barbapapa
September 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
If I remember well the scanlations for Slam Dunk are good, maybe better than wait.

Ive read a few volumes;.. but they're very... euh old.
So I'd rather wait.

Luckas
September 24, 2006, 05:27 PM
Ive read a few volumes;.. but they're very... euh old.
So I'd rather wait.
Why old? :confused

Kratos
September 24, 2006, 05:28 PM
they are not that old and they are HQ

NeoShweaty
September 24, 2006, 05:31 PM
the older ones look like shit. As the series progresses, the group gets its stride.

promfret
October 05, 2006, 07:23 PM
ya... the Slam Dunk scans arent that bad....

anyway, to be on topic...
My favs... are..
Slam Dunk. (Basketball)
Prince Of Tennis (Tennis)
Dear Boys (Basketball)
Eyeshield 21 (Football)
Suzuka (Track And Field)
Bowling King (Bowling duh)

and some which I find decent are...
Fight no Akatsuki (Basketball)
W's (Tennis)
Crossover (Basketball)

As u can see my fav type of sport is basketball.....

ariadne
October 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
i just love sports manga. slam dunk was my first (and forever my fav). actually, slam dunk was my first non kiddie manga. at that time, i don't really categorize the kind of manga i read. right now i'm so into es 21. just love the thrill and excitement of the games.

boberto
October 12, 2006, 11:21 AM
Although I don't get to read a lot of 'em, I can say I like sports manga. I'm a big fan of professional tennis so the only sports manga i read is Prince of Tennis.

KuwabaraTheMan
October 12, 2006, 06:39 PM
I like sports manga. Prince of Tennis is one of my favorite manga period, and I like Eyeshield 21, too. I'm trying to get into some other sports manga, too.

blasta
November 17, 2006, 01:57 PM
Of course nothing wrong with sports mangas :) Eyeshield 21, Touch, H2, Ippo, Bowling King, Major those are the ones I'm currently reading they are just great :smile-big Slam Dunk was my first and still one of my fav sports manga.

Jumo
November 20, 2006, 08:56 AM
I can say I like sports manga^^ my favorite is SlamDunk, I really like how Sakuragi developed into a great player, his hustle plays were really the best in my opinion and besides that he makes me laugh. So far I've read 3 sports manga which Prince of Tennis, EyeShield 21.^^

weixiaobao
November 21, 2006, 12:03 PM
Anybody know about
"My name is Teppi" (I am not so sure about that name) about kendo.
and about "Kattobi Itto" (football, not American football, in another word soccer.)

Those two tittles seem pretty old but was very good, and no one seem to know anything about them.

rosesmary
December 04, 2006, 08:05 PM
Yes, I read the two of them many years ago. My country published Teppi since I was a kid. I still remember that it's funny like hell. As I recall, there are two parts of Kattobi itto. But the first part to me is better. What a pity, I can only find 6 vol being scanlated in English

weixiaobao
December 04, 2006, 09:27 PM
so what your country? yeah i remember teppi funny like hell too

admirenkiwi
December 06, 2006, 01:42 AM
I wanna read!!!
>_<
where may i find "My Name Is Teppi" scanlated at?
I've heard that its good from many people but have no idea where to find it.
-_-
Please, tell me if you know =D
~Thanks~

rosesmary
December 06, 2006, 09:52 AM
unfortunately, it seems to be extinct. >< I'll try if i can find any of them in my language.
Oh, I'm from vietnam though.

weixiaobao
December 06, 2006, 04:49 PM
unfortunately, it seems to be extinct. >< I'll try if i can find any of them in my language.
Oh, I'm from vietnam though.

sad!!! it pretty old...
classic... and old... movingstone go to depress mode

admirenkiwi
December 07, 2006, 09:10 PM
=O

How old it is? must be really~~~~~~~old :darn
gonna be really hard to find......-_-XD

but THANKS!!
XD
=D

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
December 16, 2006, 03:51 PM
Being a football (soccer) fan, first love for Sport Manga is Aoki Densetsu Shoot! The Kakenishi/Kakegawa trio is just awesome. [br]Posted on: December 16, 2006, 03:46:20 PM_________________________________________________As for fighting manga, i love Shura no Mon (published in Indonesia as Ashura), Shura no Toki (published as Samurai), both by Masatoshi Kawahara. Other title i can't get enough of is Kenji by Ryuchi Matsuda & Tekken Chinmi by Takeshi Maekawa.

Epul
December 21, 2006, 03:12 AM
hi! i am new here. i like slam dunk! the art is good and the story is very moving! i also like harlem beat. the drawing is not as good as slam dunk but the story is just as good! have anyone read it? i recommend it to everyone who is into basketall

zutto06
December 21, 2006, 05:37 AM
Captain Tsubasa!!! My favourite and First.....I watched the anime first..but thanks to Shinji, I am able to read the manga^^
Slam Dunk! Very good, and great comedy blend. Exciting too. One of my favourite manga. Anime is great too.
Aoki Densetsu Shoot!, Touch, Whistle and Katsu also good.

Most exciting and halarious would be earlier series of Hajime no Ippo.

Epul
December 22, 2006, 02:13 AM
I agree with zutto 06. captain tsubasa is great! i kind a hate it at first because the action is a bit on the fantasy side and exxegarated at times but it started to grow on me as i read further into the series!

juUnior
January 12, 2007, 02:12 PM
Of kors I like sports manga ^^ I'm not fan of this from the begining, but now I'm fan because of Shinji scanlating Captain Tsubasa manga xD And probably I would like Shoot! manga, if only I could have it ^^" And from series now appearing I like PoT and E21, but probably E21 is better for me. That's all.

btw. if anyone could recomend me some good manga about table tennis, please pm. thx

Sharkangel
January 15, 2007, 07:49 PM
I love sports manga. Basically read very sports manga i get on. U named it
Eyeshild 21 (Football)
Break Shot (Snooker)
Bowling King
Captain Tsubasa
Dan Doh!! (Golf)
Mr Fullswing
Slam Dunk
Hajime no ippo
Rookies(Baseball) and most of Mitsuru Adachi work
Man! i could go on and on....

But there's 1 manga that not even a person ever mention in this topic that is Ultra Red.
People gonna say this a fighting manga and yes this is with a competitive tournament sport in it. Martial arts from Judo, Sumo wrestling, Chinese arts and the main character's arts of Haikaiken.
U should all read it. The art work really good and scanlated by Manga-Heaven which did a great job to it.

Blabble
January 29, 2007, 03:51 PM
I find it kind of hard to believe that many people have never seen captain tsubasa. that's probably because it was never broadcasted in the united states... an anime over 25 years (and still running) has achieved great popularity in saudi arabia, france, spain, italy, germany, japan etc.. there is already more than 10 games based on it (new one released on october 2006). Heck, it's the soccer equivalent of DBZ.

If you see Japanese players playing soccer today, you can thank captain tsubasa for it. At the time when the anime was developed which was in 1982 or 83, soccer was non existent in japan. Captain Tsubasa has inspired players such as Hidetoshi Nakata, Alessandro Del Piero, Francesco Coco, Zinedine Zidane and Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi to choose soccer as a career.

So my list.
1. Captain Tsubasa
2. Hungry Heart Wild Striker
3. Eyeshield 21
4. Slam Dunk but it was kind of slow.

strangeanimefreak
February 01, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yes, I enjoy sports manga even if I've only read two... XD ....three, if Hikaru no Go is considered as a sport...

My fave: Prince of Tennis!
Bishonen HEAVEN! Even if it's intended for the male audience, it has captured a LOT of girls... like MEH! Tennis is an awesome sport! I got into it because of PoT! Seigaku!

#2! Hikaru no Go!
Go is actually very interesting. Who knew? I play go a little bit because of the manga/anime. Hikaru's GONNA play that Divine Move ONE DAY! But I really disliked how the manga/anime ended.

And #3! And the 3rd I've read... (i think) Whistle!
I'm a little into soccer or 'football' because my dad enjoys playing very much. I'm horrible! :D I like the main character(s). I've gotta find where I've left off... >_>

thegreatest08
February 01, 2007, 09:38 PM
ive only read 2 sport manga. they were Eyeshield 21 and PoT

Epul
February 01, 2007, 10:00 PM
Yo thegreatest06! I think you should read more sports manga. The ones you have read is llike the new generation of sports manga. Why don't try classics lilke slamdunk! You won't regret it :)

rosesmary
February 02, 2007, 08:39 AM
Yay, I found "my name is teppi" online but the quality is not quite good though.

Blabble
February 03, 2007, 07:14 AM
Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk, densetsu shoot are classics. All those new ones...Meeh. Except for Hungry Heart Wild Striker. Whistle was not as good as Hungry Heart though. I didn't like the main character. Eyeshield was "okay".

juUnior
February 09, 2007, 06:18 AM
If you see Japanese players playing soccer today, you can thank captain tsubasa for it. At the time when the anime was developed which was in 1982 or 83, soccer was non existent in japan. Captain Tsubasa has inspired players such as Hidetoshi Nakata, Alessandro Del Piero, Francesco Coco, Zinedine Zidane and Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi to choose soccer as a career.
Wow, I didn;t know that. thx for such info ^^

And #3! And the 3rd I've read... (i think) Whistle!
I'm a little into soccer or 'football' because my dad enjoys playing very much. I'm horrible! :D I like the main character(s). I've gotta find where I've left off... >_>
You should read also (or watch) Captain Tsubasa and Aoki Densetsu Shoot! One of the best soccer a&m xD And:

Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk, densetsu shoot are classics.

Yeah, that titles are classic :D

Zaloof
February 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
mostly people with athletic backround are the one attracted with sport manga, i box from 2 years now and still going on because of HnI
a little otaku :p

PS: added a new sport manga thread called Ashita no Joe, back in the seventies it was the best manga/anime ever, some hardcore anime fans may recognize it here in MH its a boxing manga so give it a try :p

Link to the thread:

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14472.0

Azurel
February 21, 2007, 08:35 PM
Well, I've only watched PoT and that was great... :amuse I can't read sports manga though, I have terrible visualization.. can't see the action in my head that well. :s

ikuyoK
March 05, 2007, 12:47 AM
Hmm.. I read some of the other posts.. And I liked all that was mentioned.. I like all of the sports manga I've read..
My favorites.. Well it is very hard to decide.. My favorite is Prince of Tennis, that one was easy to decide.. Since it was my first sports genre manga.. Aside from the first one.. I really liked Hajime no Ippo, Initial D, Eyeshield 21, Dan Doh!!, Yuuto, almost all of the Adachi Manga, Whistle!, Captain Tsubasa, Cross Over, I'll(Generation Basket), Bowling King, Fight no Akatsuki, Noritaka, and others which I can't remember right now... All of those tie for second for me... Though I suppose the ones I can't remember tie for third since obviously they weren't that memorable...

ginousuke
March 12, 2007, 08:00 PM
I always love sport manga, though some of it usually unrealistic.
My favorite is Slam Dunk and Prince of Tennis. Both of them has a one-of-a-kind main character.
And also Eyeshield21. I don't like and dont even know anything about American Football before I read it. But after that, well... it's seems pretty interesting ^^

kurukuruyu
March 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
I think the first sports manga I read was Mr Fullswing? But I'm not really sure XD; I wasn't really a sports person at all. Always kinda liked baseball though. :D Only sport I was really remotely interested in ('cause I was good at batting as a kid, haha).
Then I started reading ES21 and was like "yes, sports!!" (and also "yes, Shin!!" XD)
Actually, both were reccomended to me by the same person xD! I just realized.

I don't think I've read many others, though. Bit of Whistle! and I'll, I think is all. :S

cherryenchanted
March 21, 2007, 09:37 AM
Yes, I do like sport mangas, eventhough there are some that I had not read personally on manga, but first seen on its anime version...

Just like Slam Dunk which is the first sport anime that I had watch...I didn't know yet about its manga, I think after 3x of watching this anime, that is the time I'd know about its manga, and read the remaining chapters after the end of the anime..

This is my second, but I had only watch this on its anime version...I had not yet read its manga...since I didn't find yet any manga downloads or online on this one...

Prince of Tennis

This is the latest manga that I am currently reading on...even if in the first place I had no interest in tennis, but after watching the anime version, I was getting interested in reading the manga of it..

amar_kun
March 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
my favourite sports manga at the moment is eyeshield21!! it was awesome!!

Before this i was sooo deeply in Slamdunk. pity there is no continuation though.

have anyone heard of Natsuko heuichi (i hope i didn't misspell her name)?? her comic, J-Dream was very famous in my country a few years ago (i'm from malaysia). it was about a young, talented and funny footballer, akaboshi taka and his teammates leading japan team into youth world cup. i was searching it all over the net but it was nowhere to find. if anyone know where the scanlation is, please tell me okay?

kangclaw
April 08, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi everyone.

I like Slam Dunk the anime but it and the manga were both incomplete.
My favourite fighting and sports mangas are:

Fighting manga:
History's Strongest Desciple Kenichi
Tough
Grappler Baki
Change Guy
Tenjou Tenge

Sports manga are:
Giant Step
Fight no Akatsuki
Captain Tsubasa
Hungry Heart Wild striker
Prince of Tennis
Eyehield 21
Major
Hajime no Ippo

TBBX
April 10, 2007, 08:39 PM
I love sport mangas. I love practically all of the Adachi stuff. Then of course slam dunk, wild striker, tsubasa, whistle, fight no akatsuki, ippo, you name it...

zluos
April 14, 2007, 04:55 AM
I kinda like all the ones that were mentioned, but i also like "Aoki Densetsu Shoot" too.
I would like to know where can i get the full manga (scanlated) download.

If anyone knows, could you send me a message?

-zluos

Blabble
April 27, 2007, 07:12 PM

This is my second, but I had only watch this on its anime version...I had not yet read its manga...since I didn't find yet any manga downloads or online on this one...

Hungry Heart Wild Striker is made by the creator of Captain Tsubasa... Which means that if you're looking to the manga, then you might be disappointed if you don't like the way Captain Tsubasa is drawn.

amar_kun
April 29, 2007, 06:39 PM
has anyone heard of akaboshi taka, the main character of J Dream? in my opinion, this is THE BEST SOCCER MANGA!! it was quite dissapointing there is no scanlation of the series available on the net.. i hope some scanlation groups will start to scanlate this beautiful, wonderful and inspiring manga..

ALKHHKLA
May 25, 2007, 01:43 AM
Well i have only read 2 sports manga and they are Prince of Tennis and Eyeshield 21, but i got to say they are pretty awesome mangas especially Eyeshield21.

purplerose_04
May 25, 2007, 04:22 PM
My fave sport manga is Eyeshield 21, I dun get why ppl dun like it,
i heard HnI is awesome as well.. and slam dunk... but the graphic in slam dunk isn't really my style that much but if it is good I should give it a go:tem

kkeroscenee
May 28, 2007, 03:06 PM
Prince of Tennis
Eyeshield 21
Whistle!
Mr. Fullswing

and i just found out that the creator of Whistle! made a hockey manga called Go Ahead!
i saw the covers of the volumes here http://www.s-book.com/plsql/com2_writer?isbn=4086184796&img=1&seq=&page=3

does anyone know if there are any scanlations?

brydki21
June 14, 2007, 01:16 PM
My fave sport manga :

Hajime no Ippo (boxing) - is definitely my number 1 sport manga.It has great fights,its funny and have many great characters(Takamura rules).It is very long about 80 vol and is still going but it does not get boring

Slam Dunk (basketball) - funniest manga ever,good story and has great art(art by Inoue Takehiko mangaka of Vagabond).Is realistic and teaches bases of basketball

Eyeshield 21 (American football) - is funny,has good art,great characters(Himura is awesome,my favorite character)

Captain Tsubasa (football) - classic sport manga,if you like football you must read it

pep
August 02, 2007, 09:48 PM
mine:
1) captin tsubasa (soccer)
2) touch
3) rough
4) slam dunk
5) hajime no ippo
6) one pound gospel
7) h2
8) ping pong
9) happy
10) katsu

gdupninja
October 07, 2007, 02:12 PM
Sport mangas are ok but there should be more. Personaly id like to see a skateboarding manga

Siru
November 06, 2007, 08:58 PM
What happened to the Initial D thread?

Fugitive
November 14, 2007, 08:45 PM
^why don't you type "initial d" in the search box..?

Captain Tsubasa

It might be the only one I read unless Initial D is considered a sport. I don't really consider it a sport though.

So yeah, Captain Tsubasa.
World Youth to be specific.

Crayola
November 22, 2007, 01:06 PM
Adachi Mangas are good, specifically Katsu! for me

Ichigo
November 23, 2007, 10:41 AM
1) captin tsubasa
2) one pound gospel
3) slam dunk
4) h2
5)POT

Azurel
November 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
Hmm..

Prince of Tennis
Hajime No Ippo
Eyeshield 21

Haven't read any others. :amuse

MadaraUchiha1
December 03, 2007, 07:10 PM
#1: Hajime no Ippo
#2: Captain Tsubasa
#3: Slam Dunk
#4: (Prince of Tennis)
all three of these are great, Hajime no Ippo is my fave though.

Dragon04
December 07, 2007, 09:12 AM
I like em but I'm not into sports mangas as much as other types.

Prince of Tennis
Ippo
Eyeshield 21 is ok but I prefer the other 2 over it

And I'd say Air Gear to but it's not really a sports manga per se but it does have a sport element.

bradz22
December 12, 2007, 05:52 PM
Eyeshield 21
Prince of Tennis
Slam Dunk
Hajime No Ippo

Sorata
December 30, 2007, 08:20 AM
I´m a great fan of sports manga, so i have read tons of them, but i think that there a only a few i consider real great and 5* here come my favorites:
1st - Eyeshield 21(5*)
2nd - Hajime no Ippo(5*)
3rd - Slam Dunk(5*)
4th - Major(5*)
5th - Mr. Fullswing
6th - Rookies
7th - Over Time
8th - Prince of Tennis
9th - Captain Tsubasa
10th - Whistle

darkflame350
January 03, 2008, 08:42 PM
captain Tsubasa
Hajime no Ippo
and eyeshield 21 are all pretty amazing
especially the first 2!

Gefen
February 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
Does anyone knows a manga form the creator of Slum Dunk (i really loved it, to bad it's over so fast..)?

Sorata
February 26, 2008, 07:51 PM
Does anyone knows a manga form the creator of Slum Dunk (i really loved it, to bad it's over so fast..)?

Well you have Real, that is a manga about basket with handicap people and you have his greatest master piece, Vagabond that tells the story of the legendary japanese samurai Myamoto Musashi.

mathi36
March 14, 2008, 05:54 PM
Real's just great. Very tragic in some way and pretty psychological too. But nevertheless, it has some fun in it!! You should give it a try!

As for sports mangas, I'm reading:

Out of ranking: All of Mitsuru Adachi's works like: Katsu, Touch, H2.... Katsu! is my all time favourite!!

1. Over Drive about Cycling. If you want do dl some of it, visit our scanlation page at: www.chibisuke-scans.com (just a little bit of advertising:p)

2. Captain Tsubasa all series It's the very first sport manga I've ever read and I just love it. Especially the World Youth series' great.
3. Slam Dunk
4. Real wheelchair basketball
5. Prince of Tennis
the rest...
Hajime no ippo
Ookiku Furikabutte baseball
Major
Eyeshield 21
Ahiru no Sora basketball
Last Inning baseball
Suzuka
Cross Over basketball
Dear Boys basketball
P2 Let's play table tennis
Hungry heart wild striker from the author of captain tsubasa
Initial D
...and many others, have to look some names up again.

As you can see...I love sports mangas!! For about the first 2 years in the manga world I was Sports mangas only:D

ryusuke_
March 15, 2008, 09:34 AM
Uhm... sports manga...

1. SLAM DUNK
2. Real
3. Prince of Tennis
4. Eyeshield 21
5. Mr. Fullswing

kim09
March 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
jdream
whistle!
eyeshield21
real
slam dunk
initial d
hajime no ippo (currently volume 28)
meister(well it ended prematurely)
rookies

looking forward to:
hoop men
kuroko no basuke
area no kishi

sports manga that i hate:
smash!

shaula_aelas
March 19, 2009, 03:48 PM
I grew up with the anime Capten Tsubasa, but I admit that I've never did read the manga. I feel so nostalgic when I think about it now, I remember how much I used to enjoy it.

kawaii
March 25, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have only read prince of tennis ~_~
I need to get caught up on my sports mangas ne?
Eyeshield 21 looks like my next focus

candy rain
May 06, 2009, 02:31 AM
yeah i often watch it,the most attractived is the stars of foodball ^^ such as David Beckham and Raul

Finestela
May 06, 2009, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't say that Sports Manga is "my thing", but I did read a lot of them and enjoyed several of them.

Slam Dunk: No brainer here... though the final match against Sannoh is a bit... erm... long I guess?

Captain Tsubasa: I loved everything before they turned pro... not that the pro part is bad, but I couldn't felt any new excitement from it.

Adachi Mitsuru's various works (Touch, Katsu, Crossgame, H2): I hate to lump them all together, but... there are just too many to list separately XD All of them are nice, clean, series... though some of the protagonists are jerks (rofl) :p

Yawara: Who doesn't love a butt-kicking girl (lol) It's a shame that Yawara was never actually defeated in the manga ;)

One Outs: LOL! I'm not sure if I should call this a sports series... but it's baseball! From the author of Liar Game, One Outs had some of the most interesting/awsome trick and cheating matches I've read so far!

More to come...

cHaotix8
May 06, 2009, 12:48 PM
Eyeshield 21 and Slam Dunk obviously. Buzzer Beater was pretty good as well, though it was short. Kuroko no Basket is really appealing to me. I just hope it continues to hold that momentum.

Doragon
May 07, 2009, 12:26 AM
I don't really read a lot of sport mangas, so only like a couple like Slam Dunk and Air Gear.

Rejuvenation
May 12, 2009, 04:09 AM
I've read a few now. So far I heavily favor Eyeshield 21 above the others I've read. The original Prince of Tennis is 2nd. Its sequel not so much.

DeidaraGrimmjow
May 18, 2009, 11:50 PM
PoT all the way...

Gcat88
June 04, 2009, 11:38 PM
ES21, PoT, and i would like to get into Slam Dunk

Black Lagoon
July 13, 2009, 07:28 AM
Slam dunk

Drmke
July 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
Slam Dunk 100%

Gecko Moria
July 19, 2009, 04:32 AM
I prefer Prince of Tennis over other sport manga. The New Prince of Tennis has been pretty impressive so far as well.

Max Mojito
July 27, 2009, 02:02 AM
ES21 only upto the end of the christmas bowl, the world cup was just garbage

Saint Markus
July 29, 2009, 09:05 AM
Slam Dunk.
Eyeshield 21.

that's it for me as far as "sports" manga.

Ustegius
July 30, 2009, 02:40 PM
Slam Dunk was awesome in every aspect of it. Certainly the number one for me.

Eyeshield 21 was good 'till the Dinosaurs game, but had a rough downhill after that. PoT was entertaining for a while, but I got bored with it halfway through. I just found it somehow shallow, and Ryoma is just dang annoying...

Ashita no Joe is epic. I loved it, all the drama in a series that's so seventies in all the other aspects. Really a hardworker on the developement of modern shonen. Come on, it was the first ever manga to have enough devoted fans to have funeral for a character that died in a manga. That's something, isn't it?

Also, Hikaru no Go kinda goes in the sport category. It was very interesting, but the problem was that I really couldn't get a touc on the games. "Wow, that's an exelent move!! It totally changes the flow of the game" What? It does? How, I don't get it? Well whatever, I'll keep reading because it's so exiting and intense... :D

El Autor
July 30, 2009, 03:00 PM
Eyeshield 21!!

and i like Kuroko no Basket too :D

Eshvoide
August 02, 2009, 11:02 PM
Eyeshield 21 (American Football) - It has a little thing that everyone can relate too and having it come out a little after my home team won the Superbowl.

Captain Tsubasa (Soccer) - Probably the manga that influenced Megaman Soccer and my favorite anime "Dragon League" which I'm still trying to find all 26 episodes.

One Outs (Baseball) - Kinda psychological but I seem to like how the main character thinks.

There's more, I can't remember them too well.

Revilenigma
August 04, 2009, 02:14 PM
does Battle Royale count? :)

sindergi
August 04, 2009, 04:23 PM
I just read two sports manga - es21 and captain tsubasa.
And i read Captain Tsubasa just because it was one of my first Animes i ever watched years ago but i was/am very disapointed of the artwork......(even though it was released 1981 - 1988).......but i still like the anime (foremost because of the good old memories :D)

But i really like ES21 - its a great manga and sadly its completed now :(

Koen
August 04, 2009, 05:13 PM
Well I started Area no Kishi a while ago and I definitely support this sports manga a lot. Good steary, likeable characters, etc It's all about soccer and at this moment my most favorite sports manga ^^

Kaiten
August 04, 2009, 09:14 PM
^You won't find many better. Which reminds me, I have quite a few unread chapters to catch up on. Try Ahiru no Sora when you get a chance, the only other sports manga I've read that's as good as Area.

raikou
August 04, 2009, 09:48 PM
same as me. i also like ahiru no sora. it's my favorite basketball series since slam dunk.
but the best sport for me is always slam dunk. i also like Last inning, mr fullswing, and bikings

<.Haruka.>
August 09, 2009, 07:33 PM
slam dunk
prince of tennis

Eshvoide
August 10, 2009, 12:13 AM
I started reading Area no Kishi. It's pretty good.

Onomatopoeia
August 12, 2009, 09:11 PM
Slam Dunk followed by Initial D both of which I enjoy a lot.

I do think I should start reading some more sports mangas.

xxgunxx
August 14, 2009, 04:00 PM
to tell the truth, the only sport manga i've ever enjoyed was the prince of tennis..
but the other ones... D:

Drmke
August 14, 2009, 09:09 PM
Well I started Area no Kishi a while ago and I definitely support this sports manga a lot. Good steary, likeable characters, etc It's all about soccer and at this moment my most favorite sports manga ^^

I had read a few chapters before, but I just started really reading it today and I gotta say it is amazing :tem I can't stop reading it

mathi36
August 15, 2009, 05:23 PM
I had read a few chapters before, but I just started really reading it today and I gotta say it is amazing :tem I can't stop reading it
:D, We gotta hurry with the scanlations then.
Chapter 39 should be out soon.

Drmke
August 16, 2009, 12:07 AM
:D, We gotta hurry with the scanlations then.
Chapter 39 should be out soon.

Thanks so much :D

You guys do an amazing job.

predsfan
August 17, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hell yeah, I love sports manga. If it's scanlated I read. My all time favorite though is probably between Slam Dunk and H2 (my first Adachi manga :)). Anything by Adachi (H2) is good for me, but I still haven't read Rough, though (it's a swimming manga). Although, some might not like Adachi since there's a lot of 'slice of life' material as well.

pep
August 21, 2009, 02:28 AM
you should read Rough, its probably his best work (if we exclude its first volume, which is kinda slow)

mathi36
August 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
from master adachi you should definitely read Katsu. It's my favourite one among his works, the drawings are great and the story's sweet^^.

Dr.Robotnick
August 28, 2009, 05:02 PM
My opinion of the sports manga its thath sports manga are not the best mangas but they are OK i love this sports manga...
Eyeshield21(Hiruma is cooooooooooooollll its a demon!!)
Slam Dunk(its a cool basketball parody very good)
And now i am gonna read Prience of tennis i think thath i like it...
Bye!

predsfan
August 28, 2009, 07:30 PM
you should read Rough, its probably his best work (if we exclude its first volume, which is kinda slow)Well, I finally got around to reading Rough (it wasn't too long). I really enjoyed it. It was classic Adachi, but oh the ending, arrgh.

Yeah, we know who she chose, but I wanted to see who would win the race :darn

from master adachi you should definitely read Katsu. It's my favourite one among his works, the drawings are great and the story's sweet^^.

Oh, I've read Katsu and really enjoyed it. Now that I've read Rough, I think I've read every major series by Adachi. Even his samurai-ish one :p.

deJeer
August 29, 2009, 12:34 AM
Captain Tsubatsa?
hehe

stelok
January 07, 2010, 06:08 PM
my favorite manga are Bamboo Blade and Yawara!

Yawara! is about judo.

Bamboo Blade is about kendo.

shaheer
January 08, 2010, 12:23 AM
SLAM DUNK no comparison

mathi36
January 08, 2010, 04:14 AM
a new sports manga turned up^^:

Giant Killing, check it out here: http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56375

Xadyu
January 08, 2010, 04:35 AM
I found great enjoyment in Ultra Red, a cancelled martial arts manga which was serialized in WSJ. Currently one of my favorites, but I haven't read too many sports manga I think..

Although Hajime no Ippo and Eyeshield 21 are the only one's coming to mind right now.

shinobi
January 08, 2010, 08:21 AM
I'm not really all that much into sports manga so I didn't read many, but I really like Slamdunk I find it a very good one...

Newkerzy
January 08, 2010, 10:55 AM
Kuroko, Slam Dunk & Captain Tsubasa. I'll also check out Smash! since I've been wanting to read a badminton manga. (sadly it's not under Shueisha, so I'm not expecting much)

LilaChan
January 10, 2010, 11:30 AM
A year ago, I thouhgt I'll never ever like a sports manga. Reason being I totally suck at sports (in the class crosscountry, I got last place 5 years in a row :p). Till I picked up Oofuri, because I saw this poster/scan on a blog about the 2nd season (also the all-star-seiyuu-cast looked attractive).

I watched Ookiku Furikabutte and thought it was an extremely well made, I haven't started on the manga yet. There's a second seasoning coming up at April, so I'll read the manga after that aired. It does seem like the original must be great for an anime like that to be made.

After Oofuri, I decided sports manga isn't so bad afterall. I'm on about chapter 30 with Kuroko no Basket, which I thought was decent (not amazing). I'm on about chapter 20 with Prince of Tennis (I went and watched the musical concert...and laughed my head off), I'm definitely finishing this off after my exams.

digitaldude
January 10, 2010, 11:38 AM
As most have mentioned here Slam Dunk and also One Outs.

Ig4kLone
January 11, 2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I like some of them.
Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21 or Slamdunk are the amazing ones. XD

Estranho
January 12, 2010, 05:33 AM
(sadly it's not under Shueisha, so I'm not expecting much)
I can't get your point.
There are sport mangas in many other magazines, and they are so good as Jump. Shonen Magazine, for example, has many good sport series: Ahiru no Sora, Area no Kishi, Hajime no Ippo. In the past, it had Ashita no Joe, Tiger Mask, Over Drive...

Must be too limited to think that way.

Kaiten
January 12, 2010, 11:28 AM
I've always thought Magazine sports series were superior to Jump anyways.

mathi36
January 12, 2010, 05:46 PM
so true!! Hanagata and Air Gear would be two more examples.

R4n
January 13, 2010, 05:36 AM
I read very few sports manga.
The one that leaves a very deep impression on me is Ashita no Joe. I read it when i was around 9-12 years old (i can't remember how old i was, really...)
Tetsuya Chiba did another manga, about Kendo. But i can't remember the Japanese Title.

I tried Eyeshield 21 and Oofuri, but it turns out they are not my cup of tea.

I really really love Dandoh (or whatever the Japanese title is). I know nothing about golf, but this manga impressed me because it actually make something as mundane as golf a very interesting subject.

I remember enjoyed Takeshi's Maekawa's Break Shot very much.
Harlem Beat by Yuriko Nishiyama is the manga that introduced me to Basketball. It is one of my fav manga.

Gcat88
January 18, 2010, 07:47 PM
eyeshield 21, prince of tennis, Ippo, history strongest disciple. there are so many, i want to find more!!!!

Dive
January 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
Sports manga seems to be one of my weaker genres. I can only name Slam Dunk, Harlem Beat, and Whistle! as titles I've read. I enjoyed them, though. I need to keep up with the released of Slam Dunk, though. I'm a few behind.

TemplateR
January 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
I like sport-mangas, but I don´t read really all types of sports.

These mangas I have read it:

Prince of Tennis - Best Tennis-Mangas of all time.

Eyeshield - Best Football-Manga of all time, but with unsatisfied Ending >.>

Glaucos - Pretty cool manga about swimming and nice artwork.

Kuroko no Basket - Although I don´t like basketball, this manga is good for alternation^^

Air Gear - Well, best Sport-Manga atm for me. Great Story, great Charakters and great action^^

Smash - Nice Slice of Life Sport Mangas with romance situation. I like it.

Cross Game - This manga I have dropped it, because it was anyhow for me borring in story and artwork.

But there are 2 others Manga, which I´m interested to read it, if there were more scans or scans generally.

King Golf (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1761045#post1761045), with no scans, and Capeta (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=6214), with only 2 Chapters of the beginning and 2 Chapters of Volume 11 *lol*.

Anyway I would read more sport-mangas with other sporttypes like handball oder ice hockey alá eyshield21.

El Autor
January 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
Eyeshield 21... loved it. Now i´m reading Kuroko no basket which is really good.

I would love to read "hoope!" from shonen rival, but it´s impossible... bleh.

Revilenigma
January 29, 2010, 07:52 PM
Really loved Ping Pong by Taiyo Matsumoto.

Oblivion
January 30, 2010, 09:14 PM
Best Sportsmanga ever:

Slam Dunk (which btw is also one of the best mangas anyway xD)

It has no absurd power ups or unfathomable techniques. Of course most of the stuff is exagerated but still its not as weird as the 3 auras from PoT. And it never gets boring no matter how often you read it. The Art also gets amazing towards the end.

E21 is ok, but the ending sucked.

PoT is also very good.

Captain Tsubasa - read the first 20 volumes or so long ago and was highly entertaining.

and Happy of course.

Rock-Bird
February 01, 2010, 04:16 PM
Best Sport Manga ever: Eyeshield 21 (Pleases give us more...)

Also notable is Hajime no Ippo.

shaheer
February 06, 2010, 09:56 AM
i saw the anime of Hungry hearts, is t manga based?
f it is then its my all time fav sports manga with asita no Joe and Slam Dunk

mathi36
February 06, 2010, 06:50 PM
hungry hearts is based on a 6 volume manga I think. It's written by the same author as Captain Tsubasa! And btw, this is one of the few cases were the anime seems better to me than the actual manga.

Bugzee
March 04, 2010, 09:48 AM
:worship Eyeshield 21 :worship

There is no other like it! :smugbunny

shaheer
March 04, 2010, 11:11 AM
hungry hearts from the same guy who drew tsubasa????? maan that guy can do good stuffs then, Tsubasa was a normal cliche piece of manga

Gcat88
March 05, 2010, 01:12 PM
we need more ippo supporters. started reading some of it recently, HOLY COW. so realistic and so detailed. i need to read more and catch up, even if it takes me 1 year!!!

Kaiten
March 05, 2010, 01:32 PM
Two great seinen sports series: Nononono (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58533) (by the mangaka of Elfen Lied) and Giant Killing (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56375).

Rock-Bird
March 06, 2010, 09:31 AM
The latter one, Giant Killing has been made into an Anime and will start this Spring Season (probably in April).

Though who knows what to expect. I remember that the Eyeshield Anime was not so good to say the least...

slippy
March 07, 2010, 02:59 AM
i usually like watching sports anime's over the manga, but should i try the giant killing manga before the anime comes out =o

Charlie
March 08, 2010, 03:41 AM
Yes I like sports mangas. Currently I like Cross Game (http://www.onemanga.com/Cross_Game/).

It is by Adachi Mitsuru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuru_Adachi), who has done similar type series/re-occurring themes.

Oh and there is an anime for that as-well.

Akiyama
March 08, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm catching up on the scans of Kuroko no Basket, it's a good basketball series that has potential but my favorite has to be REAL. One Outs would have to be the best baseball read for me. Next I will try E21 if I ever get some free time.

Kaiten
March 09, 2010, 01:52 PM
Has anyone read Last Inning yet? It looks fairly good, I may give it a try soon.

mathi36
March 10, 2010, 05:17 PM
last inning is promising! You definitely should give it a try!

Rei Ayanami
March 10, 2010, 06:38 PM
Prince of Tennis it being the DBZ of Sports manga.

Drmke
March 10, 2010, 06:43 PM

I contest. Slam Dunk is the DBZ of sports manga.

TemplateR
March 11, 2010, 11:28 AM
I contest. Slam Dunk is the DBZ of sports manga.

I Contest again^^. Hajime No Ippo is the DBZ of sports mangas.

Dive
March 12, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna go with Ring ni Kakero as the DBZ of sports manga.

juUnior
March 13, 2010, 08:35 AM
So I'm gonna go with Shoot! as the DBZ of sports manga. <there will be a long list with "DBZ of sports manga" :p>

shaheer
March 13, 2010, 08:56 AM
i second rei as i also think POT is the DBZ of sports manga
(sometimes Tsubasa)
and tell you what i just checked Air gear is also considered a sports manga if thats so then damn that one is a DBZ, shouting and trust and spirit and what not, makes you stronger

LilaChan
March 13, 2010, 04:03 PM

I personally wouldn't say PoT is the DBZ of sports manga. I'm going to go with Drmke, Slam Dunk or maybe Captain Tsubasa.

PoT definitely changed the sports manga genre to a certain extent or even shounen manga in general. It pretty much started the bishounen jump syndrome.

I wouldn't say it's the sports manga of DBZ, I personally think it stands up on its own. It's the one of the first shounen series to gain a REALLY big female fanbase. Obviously whether it's a good or bad thing is up to you. :p

/is murdered.

R4n
March 13, 2010, 05:39 PM
I personally wouldn't say PoT is the DBZ of sports manga. I'm going to go with Drmke, Slam Dunk or maybe Captain Tsubasa.

PoT definitely changed the sports manga genre to a certain extent or even shounen manga in general. It pretty much started the bishounen jump syndrome.

I wouldn't say it's the sports manga of DBZ, I personally think it stands up on its own. It's the one of the first shounen series to gain a REALLY big female fanbase. Obviously whether it's a good or bad thing is up to you. :p

/is murdered.

Um, not really. It actually goes even further than that.

I would give the title of bishounen shounen manga trendsetter to the works of Masami Kurumada. Of course i might be wrong.
Clamp started their career drawing BL doujinshis for Saint Seiya. And since the works of Clamp influences many mangakas, we can say Masami Kurumada has greater impact on the industry than PoT.

hm, since what i said is not really backed by solid research, what i said might not be accurate. Anyway, my point is, i wouldn't give any title to PoT now. Sure it is very popular, but i feel that it is still too fresh to be considered having a great impact...
No offence to PoT fans. :tem

I would like to mention a very influential sports manga: Ashita no Joe.
That manga still send shivers down my spine whenever i remembered the scenes, eventhough i read it 10 years ago. Truly a masterpiece. *bows*

Off topic: suddenly i remember something. Two very popular BL mangakas did doujinshis on Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa. I am not sure whether it is before their debut or during their professional work, though.
I am referring to Minami Ozaki (she did Captain Tsubasa DJs) and Yamane Ayano (She did some very entertaining Slam Dunk DJs). Minami Ozaki is a legend in BL industry.

Dive
March 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
Oh. We weren't talking about the over the top abilities in DBZ that seemed to have transferred over to some sports manga? Whoops.

If we're talking about in terms of straight up popularity, then yeah, Slam Dunk.

LilaChan
March 13, 2010, 06:41 PM
Um, not really. It actually goes even further than that.

I would give the title of bishounen shounen manga trendsetter to the works of Masami Kurumada. Of course i might be wrong.
Clamp started their career drawing BL doujinshis for Saint Seiya. And since the works of Clamp influences many mangakas, we can say Masami Kurumada has greater impact on the industry than PoT.

hm, since what i said is not really backed by solid research, what i said might not be accurate. Anyway, my point is, i wouldn't give any title to PoT now. Sure it is very popular, but i feel that it is still too fresh to be considered having a great impact...
No offence to PoT fans. :tem

I would like to mention a very influential sports manga: Ashita no Joe.
That manga still send shivers down my spine whenever i remembered the scenes, eventhough i read it 10 years ago. Truly a masterpiece. *bows*

Off topic: suddenly i remember something. Two very popular BL mangakas did doujinshis on Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa. I am not sure whether it is before their debut or during their professional work, though.
I am referring to Minami Ozaki (she did Captain Tsubasa DJs) and Yamane Ayano (She did some very entertaining Slam Dunk DJs). Minami Ozaki is a legend in BL industry.

I didn't do much research on my post, it's just from Bishounen Jump Syndrome from TvTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BishonenJumpSyndrome). So don't quote me on the info. :p

The difference with PoT compared to the series before is that Shounen Jump actually gave a nod about the large female fanbase and milked the fangirls without hiding. Hence it is called one of the first series to have 'bishounen jump syndrome', because the publisher/creator knowingly targeting fangirls. Insted in the past, where fangirls find the 'hints' themselves. I think I wrote my post somewhat confusingly, sorry if that confused anyone.

PoT somewhat changed the way a shounen or a sports manga can be marketed. Obviously this isn't backed up with any sources, just my observations.

@BL part. I've read about that before, it's really interesting in my opinion.

Oh. We weren't talking about the over the top abilities in DBZ that seemed to have transferred over to some sports manga? Whoops.
Actually actually PoT could be the sports manga of DBZ in that point of view. -cough-

Drmke
March 13, 2010, 06:45 PM
Slam Dunk still fits the bill a bit better than those mention because both at the time they were at their peak (early 90s) were literally the pillars of Jump. Ignoring One Piece, DBZ and Slam Dunk are easily the most popular manga in Jump history. Slam Dunk was even voted the most popular manga in Japan in 2007. Well its actually just my opinion :p

slippy
March 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
when comparing a sports manga to dbz, are we looking for a manga that gets progressively worse as it goes on? or is this about how influential the sports manga is, or how popular? =o

Kaiten
March 14, 2010, 12:19 AM
There are no strict rules for this thread, as long as you compare DBZ to a sports manga. Best selling, most influential, most whatever it is that makes DBZ DBZ :p

My vote is for Eyeshield. Deliberately over the top, innovative art, emphasis on power ups and technique, and a sharp sense of humor. Eyeshield always seemed like a Jump action manga disguised as sports. To take the comparison further, ES21 and DBZ both lasted to long: DBZ should have ended after Frieza, ES21 withe the Christmas Bowl.

Newkerzy
March 14, 2010, 07:11 AM
Slam Dunk.... absolutely!!! if not Captain Tsubasa. But however, it seems that Kuroko may be the next big sports manga. The mangaka is obviously quite talented & has the "Slam Dunk" feel growing bit by bit. In fact, it pretty much fits with the whole "every 10 years, a new mangaka surpasses a legendary mangaka"

Gcat88
March 15, 2010, 07:09 AM
um....Ippo anyone????

LONG AS HECK and amazing as can be.

Then again Ippo would be the Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen Mae Hashutsujo of sports manga.

salam-daim
March 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
slam dunk is the bigest sport manga in japon
and it's the real DBZ ....
everyone have a preference, but the DBZ of Sports Manga is slam dunk

Kaiten
March 21, 2010, 10:08 AM
Other than popularity I'm not sure what Slam Dunk and Dragon Ball had in common. Different styles, different type of story telling. Slam Dunk had realistic basketball scenes, nothing about DBZ was realistic. The focus of Slam Dunk was the characters and their maturation as athletes and people, the focus of DBZ was super powers and action. Yes, Slam Dunk is the best selling sports manga ever. Oishinbo is one of the best selling manga also, does that make it the DBZ of cooking manga? Not particularly. Slam Dunk has virtually nothing in common with DBZ besides sales.

FERO9900
March 28, 2010, 09:45 AM
i just started reading Baby Steps. its about a boy named Maruo Eiitirou nick named (E-Chan and A all ) about a tennis manga .its very good it reaches POT and perhaps better. its a journey using his smarts, dedication and work ethic.

chan-chan
May 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
My favorite of all time is Slam Dunk - forever a Rukawa fangirl :D.
I also like:
Giant Killing (I'm currently really hooked on it! It's interesting to look at soccer from the manager's point of view)
Daiya no Ace (the characters are so adorable and lovable.. one of my favorite baseball manga)
Real (heartwarming story)
Ookiku Furikabutte (i really like this baseball manga too.. very realistic and the characters are mostly lovable)
Whistle (a realistic football manga)

I have also read POT, ES21, Hungry Hearts, Major, One Outs and Koroko no Basket.

If you know of any good sports manga with no/little romance, please recommend. :)

Drmke
May 15, 2010, 04:53 PM
If you know of any good sports manga with no/little romance, please recommend. :)

Try Area no Kishi. Its a soccer manga has pretty much no romantic side to it that I can remember. Great manga as well.

Kaiten
May 15, 2010, 10:59 PM
Area no Kishi is excellent, highly recommended. A (mostly) very realistic series too. Not much in common with ES21.

I'm finally reading Cross Game. Not a sports manga exactly but a coming of age story with baseball featured prominently. Baseball features prominently in most of Adachi's manga, thus far Cross Game is so good I'll read everything by him I can.

chan-chan
May 16, 2010, 04:40 AM
Try Area no Kishi. Its a soccer manga has pretty much no romantic side to it that I can remember. Great manga as well.

I had planned to read it since quite some time ago.. but I always thought it has some romance in it so I keep putting it off.. i think I should get started..

Area no Kishi is excellent, highly recommended. A (mostly) very realistic series too. Not much in common with ES21.

I'm finally reading Cross Game. Not a sports manga exactly but a coming of age story with baseball featured prominently. Baseball features prominently in most of Adachi's manga, thus far Cross Game is so good I'll read everything by him I can.

I did watch the Cross Game anime.. it's pretty good but there's too much romance.. I also tried to watch Adachi sensei's Touch before.. I think Touch has even more romance than Cross Game..

Anyway, I just got started on Fantasista.. it's a pretty cool football manga.. it has a similar feel as Whistle.

chan-chan
May 16, 2010, 05:18 AM
I think DBZ and Slam Dunk have the same level of influence on their respective genres.

fullmoon
July 07, 2010, 01:34 PM
Slam Dunk all the way! I played basketball bcs of this :D

junjun2
August 05, 2010, 09:28 AM
I recommend you Rising Impact which is golf manga.

shukketsumaru
July 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
I like Mitsuru Adachi's series. I especially like Rough and Katsu!
Others I like are Major and All Rounder Meguru.

naruto-niichan
July 18, 2012, 04:36 AM
I'm ashamed to say this but the only sports manga I've ever read is Kuroko no Basket. I'm not a big fan of the sports genre in general but I tried Slam Dunk and Area no Kishi. I stopped reading both around the 10th chapter because it didn't really captivate me - I know that I should probably give them more time but I just couldn't bring myself to it back then :/

Kuroko, even though it's definitely not that great, sparked my interested in other sports manga so I will most likely try ES21 or other well-received sports series.

MangaPage
August 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm generally not a big fan of sports manga but there are a few I did enjoy quite a lot, like Eyeshield 21 (probably my favourite). Prince of Tennis also isn't bad, and I liked Hajime no Ippo before it got too long and boring. I've only started reading Slam Dunk recently, so I'm really at the beggining and I can't comment on it yet.

destiny4ever
August 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
I haven’t read sport manga series but I have watched anime series based on sport manga. My favorite sport series are Giant Killing and Kuroko no Basket. Both are awesome series!

Another series that I like, and that it deserves an honorary mention, is Area no Kishi. There is a bit of drama in this series which makes it a little different from your regular sport series.

Doraku
November 07, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm quite picky when it comes into sport manga/anime, though I've been reading many manga under this category lately. My all-time favorite would be Slam Dunk, Captain Tsubasa, Giant Killing, and Eyeshield 21 and REAL.

I recently picked up Haikyuu, Ahiru no Sora, and finished Ashita no Joe, those are fun and great manga and each one of them gives its own unique reading experience to its readers. I also had no regret and extremely satisfied when I finished Ashita no Joe, probably one of the best Boxing manga ever created, if not obviously the best.

I might check Area no Kishi later.

k-dom
November 22, 2012, 03:13 AM
I didn't really rread sport series until recently. Then I decided to read Touch of Adachi and I ended reading his 3 main series in a row. That was a bit to much though and I don't think I will start Mix. He is a good author but I would prefer if he didn't stick to the same kind of stories.
Now curiously I have started a few others, my favorite one is probably Ahiru no Sora. I didn't start Slam Dunk yet, I will probably read it one day, but I read the first chapters of Real and I'm more interested how handi basket will be treated. From jump I read Haikyu, entertaining if not extraordinary and the classic Rookies.

Series that did not catch my interest are Area no kishi (the setup was to similar to one Adachi stories) and Ascension (genious character are not really the one I can relate to)

Doraku
November 23, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm currently on the 10th chapter of Rookies. So far it has been very entertaining and I got the same vibe with Slam Dunk even though not exactly similar. What I love about REAL is that the manga does not only focus solely on the handicap basketball but also the psychological aspect of disabled people too. I'm waiting for the translation of volume 12, I can't wait to see further development. To be honest REAL is probably the best series currently running in YJ right now, even though I couldn't deny that Gantz, Kingdom and Liar Game provide great entertainment as well.

BlackLeggedDragon
January 03, 2013, 04:59 PM
Eyeshield 21 is my second favorite manga ever and Kuroko no Basket is my current second favorite. Both these sports mangas are pretty "Shoneny" which means that their abilities are over-exaggerated. The problem with sports manga though is that it is hard to write a plot revolving around the protagonist's team losing. I don't enjoy a protagonist that almost never loses.

MiyamotoMusashi
January 04, 2013, 05:27 PM
I didn't really rread sport series until recently. Then I decided to read Touch of Adachi and I ended reading his 3 main series in a row. That was a bit to much though and I don't think I will start Mix. He is a good author but I would prefer if he didn't stick to the same kind of stories.
Now curiously I have started a few others, my favorite one is probably Ahiru no Sora. I didn't start Slam Dunk yet, I will probably read it one day, but I read the first chapters of Real and I'm more interested how handi basket will be treated. From jump I read Haikyu, entertaining if not extraordinary and the classic Rookies.

Series that did not catch my interest are Area no kishi (the setup was to similar to one Adachi stories) and Ascension (genious character are not really the one I can relate to)

Pretty much all of Inoue´s works, that includes Slam Dunk and Real, focus on personal growth and character development. The difference between Real and Slam Dunk would be though that in the former, the sport itself, in this case handicap basketball, only serves as a kind of link for the three main characters and as setting to address the main theme, namely disabilities and everything that comes with that while basketball itself is the major theme in Slam Dunk.

Maxy Barnard
January 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
ROOKIES does it for me more than anything else. Sure, it mostly comes down to the drama, but that's what makes it so unlike anything else. Totally at the top of my faves. Haikyuu's doing well for me nowadays too. And though it got a bit long in the tooth, Eyeshield 21 rocked my life the entire time I was reading it.

Oh and for some reason I'm really fond of that flood of mediocre football and basketball titles Weekly Shonen Jump had some years back. Meister, Dois Sol, Light Wing, Dogashi Kaiden, Hoop Men, all that stuff. Not very good, really, but entertained me a whole bunch as they were coming out.

salvatore022
May 08, 2013, 03:25 AM
Yowamushi Pedal , this is my current favourite sport manga

phio_chan
June 22, 2013, 09:05 AM
I normally don't like sports manga. So I don't know why I checked Chihayafuru in the first place. I don't even know why they classified karuta as sports, lol. But since it's written like that, yeah. I grew to love the series, both anime and manga. Mainly because they don't only focus on the karuta; karuta is like the connection point of the character development and the plot. It brings the pieces together. Karuta itself seems to be a fun game.

I once tried to read a shoujo or josei manga (I forget) about ice skating. I haven't continued it, hopefully soon. :p

perspherspley
January 24, 2014, 07:47 AM
Here are my fave sport mangas:
Baby Steps
Cross Game
H2
Haikyuu
Hikaru no Go
Katsu
Kurogane
One Outs
Slam Dunk
Real
Touch

SharkBait
January 29, 2014, 08:13 AM
Ace of Diamond and Haikyuu!! are my two favorites sports manga right now. Ace of Diamond feels really deep and immersively focused on showing the good parts of Baseball as well as bringing up fairly average players to the big leagues with focusing on their key skills and developing them a bit more.

Haikyuu!! for this as well, I liked the development of the normal characters and how they can still feel vital even though some of the members are a bit more evolved in some areas. Focusing on average players really helps sports series shine than just keying in on prodigies.