PDA

View Full Version : Jorped's manga recommendation thread

jorped
July 29, 2011, 07:22 PM
I started reading mangas since the beginning of this year, and i can't really stop, because there is out there such marvellous works that it's impossible of me for not end reading them. I haven't read that much mangas, but i am truly sure that some that i did definitely need to be read by anyone that loves manga the same way i do.

I normally like to read the typical shounen mangas, being Naruto my favourite, cuz it's basically the one that will probably make me spend more time thinking about, but about this one there isn't really an introduction needed. One Piece is also amazing, and i have find quite a lot of people, that don't intend ever to start it because of his length, but that isn't really an excuse. If you like shounen One Piece is also definitely a must read !

All the following mangas that i am going to mention here are IMO mangas that you definitely need to try, if you haven't already :p

Year of Release: 2005
Author: Yukimura Makoto
Artist: Yukimura Makoto
Reading Direction: Right to Left
Genre: Action Adventure Historical Seinen

http://souhaku.free.fr/series/vs.jpg

Synopsis from MAL

Thorfinn is a young viking whose father was killed when he was young by a viking captain called Askeladd. After many years, Thorfinn has joined Askeladd's crew to take revenge on him while conquering territories in Northen Europe.

I don't have really need or even should say. If you like Seinen, this is a must, but even if you don't you should try it.
It was my first Seinen and i loved it. The art is the best i found so far, and the story is just amazing. This manga deserves because of it's quality a lot more "love".
If you try it, you won't regret :thumbs

Alternate Name: Yotsuba&!
Year of Release: 2003
Author: Kiyohiko Azuma (Story & Art)
Artist:
Genre: Comedy Slice of Life

http://s5.mangareader.net/cover/yotsubato/yotsubato-l1.jpg

Synopsis from MAL

Yotsuba's daily life is full of adventure. She is energetic, curious, and a bit odd – odd enough to be called strange by her father as well as ignorant of many things that even a five-year-old should know. Because of this, the most ordinary experience can become an adventure for her. As the days progress, she makes new friends and shows those around her that every day can be enjoyable

If you are looking for an easy-going manga this is definitely perfect for you.
Since the first chapter of this manga, that i found in love for it. It's funny, cute so if you ever feel down or something similar to it i recommend definitely to read this.
Reading this manga it feels like we are back to when we had 5 years old, so this manga brings a certain childhood nostalgia.
I love every single character but my favourite has to be the little Yotsuba.
If you read this manga, you will end smiling non stop and even laughing out loud.

Alternate Name: Our Happy Time, Our Happy Hours, Watashi-tachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Year of Release: 2007
Author: Yumeka, Sumomo (Art)
Artist:
Genre: Drama Romance Seinen Slice of Life

http://s2.mangareader.net/cover/watashitachi-no-shiawase-na-jikan/watashitachi-no-shiawase-na-jikan-l0.jpg

Synopsis from MAL

"I have something I don't want to lose"

"So much so that these terrible feelings have grown."

A pianist who attempted suicide 3 times, Juri, is taken to help her aunt at a prison where murderers who killed indiscriminately are sentenced to death. There, she meets a man named Yuu who took the lives of 3 people. A mother's antagonism--a brother's death... Together they embrace the violent rebellion in their hearts caused by the large, deep scars they carry. However, before long, they both embrace an earnest hope in their hearts. "I want to live"...

An adaptation of novel by South Korea's most popular female novelist, Gong Ji-Young.

I read this manga today cuz i saw that on MAL it was the second highest ranked manga of all. As you can see above this one has already been completed and has only 8 chapters. This manga isn't going to suit everyone taste. I often think about what do i really learn reading mangas ? And the conclusion i got is that i can't really say that i learn much from reading mangas, but after i read this one i can't really say that any more, because this one ended being a very MEANINGFUL literary experience.
I have always thought about what makes a person good/bad or how can we characterize certain human action and it was really good to see topics like those being very well developed on this manga. The characters are very believable and i can really understand why they had the problems they did, something that a lot of mangas fail to accomplish.
The art also suits well the story, so i don't really see any reason for not try it. It's a masterpiece IMO and definitely a must read.

I am going to end now cuz this post is already to damm long :p
There are also other mangas, that i could recommend, but this ones are really a must read. As for me, i am going to keep reading mangas, and if i read any manga that i think it's a must read, i will definitely post here.
So if you read this post, and end reading one of this mangas i hope you enjoy as much as i did :thumbs

ashher
August 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
I was looking for something short to read, and watashitachi seems to be the perfect read. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

I'll forever be grateful to you for your recommendation Watashi-tachi no Shiawase na Jikan. reading this was a wonderful wonderful experience.

What does MAL mean though?

benelori
August 13, 2011, 02:26 AM
I was looking for something short to read, and watashitachi seems to be the perfect read. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

I'll forever be grateful to you for your recommendation Watashi-tachi no Shiawase na Jikan. reading this was a wonderful wonderful experience.

I think MAL stands for myanimelist, which is a site to keep track of people's favourite stuff to watch or read

HegemonKhan
August 16, 2011, 01:53 AM
I'm interested in Vinland Saga, as it's about the "American Vikings", but I still hadn't gotten around to it, lol.

Is there any chance it's been put into an anime or no ???

goldb
August 16, 2011, 03:40 AM
Nope, still no anime for it.

You should read it hegemon, it's very captivating manga, and the art is great!

jorped
August 24, 2011, 04:49 PM

Glad to see that you enjoyed it :amuse

And Bene is right about MAL :D

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

You should read it hegemon, it's very captivating manga, and the art is great!

Definitely :amuse