PDA

View Full Version : Life Studying or Working?

Leen
December 30, 2006, 05:52 AM
The title says it all. Which do you think is the one that you prefer to do? Studying and working have their own pros and cons and I like to know what you think about it. Please don't just think about paycheck if you choose working because that's not everything there is to working. :D Bax and I talked this out but we couldn't find a solution so the next best thing to do, post it here and let you guys decide. :D Go ahead!! :thumbs

LadyHatake
December 30, 2006, 10:22 AM
I despise studying. I have a hard time trying to get myself to sit down and actually read thgouhg/practice the material I'm learning. I tend to feel overloaded and I get confused and upset. Now, if I were only taking one or two classes, I think I'd be okay with studying, but I'm taking 7 at the moment and it gets to be difficult since with that many classes I'm eithr at school taking those classes or at home studying for those classes.

I've never worked before, so I everything I say on that will be assumption. Sometimes I think I'd rather be working, since I'd actually be doing something with the knowledge I get from school. Yeah, money's nice, but when I'm studing I feel idle, like I'm not getting anything done. I think if I was working I'd prefer it since it'd be more like I was accomplishing something.

>.> I think.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
December 30, 2006, 10:36 AM
For me, i like working better than studying. How can i not love my job? I can come in late, do what most MH members love to do (reading comics, manga and watching anime). :D

Xophien
December 30, 2006, 11:13 AM
I don't like either. So I pick the third choice "Doing nothing". I did that for half a year last year and believe me when I say that it's true happiness :D

aky0
December 30, 2006, 06:58 PM
Both for me.

1 week at school, and 3 weeks at work.

juUnior
January 02, 2007, 10:37 AM
I don't like either. So I pick the third choice "Doing nothing". I did that for half a year last year and believe me when I say that it's true happiness :D

I agree xD

But in reality I don;t like to study, rather have to if I'm going to have a better job (and if you refer to more diploma=better job). And so I'm studiyng right now. If I graduate and end this porbably I will go for another curse or maybe mean time, time will tell. And in my way thinking with nothing TO MUST i would say that if you have nice job, you would stick with it right after school, thats my opinion. But only if you have such a job .. :x

bax
January 02, 2007, 11:40 AM
Heh.. Like what I discussed with Leen.. I prefer working to studying ^^

Well.. with working we can learn something that learning can't offer us. Experience is the best teacher, remember? Well.. compared to studying, by working, we can gain some income and plus, we'll learn on how to be more responsible for our life.

I'm not saying that studying is not important, but there is time for eveything ^^

rabb
January 02, 2007, 12:55 PM
working for me. i am incapible of studying. the second i sit down and try, my add goes threw the roof. it takes me an hour to get threw about ten pages. and usaully i dont have to study. my memory is good enough (especailly with hearing things) that the first time i read or hear somthing i learn it. i never did homework either. i always went threw school depending soley on my high test grades.

at work, on the other hand, im a hard worker. i cant stand idley doing nothing. i dont like most of my coworkers, and im sure most of them hate me, but what can you do? im trying to get my manager to shift me over to an earlier shift (im a closer/pre-closer now). i would like to work the lunch and dinner rushes. but she wont let me. my two head managers are sexists x.x they hate men.

Pevee
January 05, 2007, 01:33 AM
I've never worked before (excluding my summer tutor job), so I'll go with studying, not that I like it or anything, but just because there's not that much stress involve. You're saying I'm crazy, but here me out first. Working means that you're winning your own bread, doing something for money, for your living; you have to worry about how you would pay the rent, buy grocery and all that. That sounds pretty stressful for me as a teen. Well, on the other hand, studying means simply reading and learning new stuff, period. Absorbing information, that's pretty easy and non-stressful enough for me. I can just sit there and flip over the pages learning about dead people and what they did that most people probably don't care and be pretty careless about how I'm getting my stomach filled because I have my parents to take care of that. Learning requires a lot on in-put, but little out-put, unlike working.

someone2040
January 09, 2007, 01:55 AM
Hrmm... I agree with doing nothing, but it gets me loads of crap from my parents.
Currently, I'm studying.
Why? I have no clue. I'm interested in my course at Uni, but a lot of the stuff is oh so boring. If it's something I am interested in, I am willing to go out of my way, put extra effort into it. However, if it's boring, my mind slips, and I don't end up remembering a lot. Really annoying how everything is generally based around an exam, which requires you to memorise basically every single thing.

On the other hand, working. Working is boring as well, since without actually studying, I would not be doing something I'm interested in. I would be doing some mundane boring job, with totally no interest.

So for me, studying. It's the better of worlds for me at the moment, and hopefully it'll pay off when I finish (provided I can get my butt into gear and study properly).

C4animax
January 09, 2007, 02:26 AM
I prefer working, there's less restriction to it, the work you do with your hands/head is more valuable than just learning, some times you get challenge that you don't get by studying (depends the work obviously) and when you succeed you feel even better \O/ and of course you get paid that 's a good reward and if your good you get promoted and stuff, a unique experience...of course if your job is sh!t then obviously your experience of work will be sh!t :D

Saddly it's hard for me to study because every time i try to do so i start being sleepy, i just can't help myself i get confused on where i should start, then it gets irritating and most of the time i get distracted by something that is complytly different...so i lose X hours on this diferent thing and realise that my time is wasted...Frustrationi anyone?...

Studying would be nice if they had a proper educational system, sitting X hours to teach us things that will probably be lost after we pass the exam seems useless to me...It's like 8 years of basic study to lose them in One or Two years ...Like any summoning from final fantasy 8 would do... XD

dpsoul
November 08, 2009, 01:06 PM
Well, I like working better. But I don't really know how it feels like since I'm just 15, 4th yr high school. Hmp, I still have 9 years[after HS graduation: 5 yrs. BS Business Administration and Accountancy,and another 4yrs for Law] to go in order for me to reach the job I want :] err, it may sound a bit boring but i really want to defend clients and have my mind work to solve a variety of situations and support things through logic :3

Gecko Moria
November 10, 2009, 10:38 PM
I prefer working to studying. Studying will always be exhausting, boring, tedious, not interesting, soul-draining and a complete waste of life-time. Work is only sometimes the above, so I guess it's slightly better.

DARK
November 11, 2009, 06:02 PM
I prefer studying over working. I would rather be exhausted mentally than being exhausted mentally AND physically.

p1xel
December 11, 2009, 02:25 PM
I prefer working than studying :) beacuse you can do what you want and its happiness(if you have a dream job) :D

shaheer
December 16, 2009, 01:47 AM
I like both , being in the uni helps me to do both

soDeq05
December 16, 2009, 09:55 AM
I love both!! :confetti

Yusaku Jon 3
December 24, 2009, 06:31 AM
I prefer working myself. You're earning the money you need to keep yourself alive that way. I'm currently doing a little bit of both myself, as I'm starting on a new career path that's going in quite the different direction from what I've been doing these past several years.

Bugzee
December 26, 2009, 10:37 PM
I don't mind both atm since I'm at Uni! :amuse

Black Lagoon
December 29, 2009, 05:10 PM
Now that I'm studying I'd vote for work, but I know that some day ... it'll change :facepalm

Dr.Robotnick
January 04, 2010, 10:55 AM
I am studying in my school i only have 11 old and i am spanish but my english it's very good for my age,here it's the reason that i can post in this wonderful page.

Adorien
January 08, 2010, 05:57 PM
Well, you can be studying while you're working, right? :p I also agree with p1xel, if you work something you like, it's really nice.

stelok
January 08, 2010, 06:00 PM
There is no profit but knowledge from studying. There is profit but no knowledge from working.

durendal
January 13, 2010, 09:33 PM
Funny thing, when I was studying, all I could think of was finish school so I could start working. Now that I'm working, I wish that I was still studying.

maaghms
January 18, 2010, 01:21 AM
Are working and studying clearly separable? In my opinion, studying is part of working and vice-versa. When a person is a student, his work is to study and learn many skills. After completion of the undergraduate years and when a person starts working, the person has to study something daily at work. Well, it may very well depend on the job. I think it is all about percentages:

When we are in university: Studying = 90%, Application = 10%.
After university and at work: Studying = 20%, Application = 80%.

Lifelong learning has become a must for many jobs, especially in Engineering and IT-related fields where knowledge has to be updated each day. The notion that a person will be free from studying when he/she starts working is a misconception held by many teenagers and high school students.

2franz6
February 27, 2010, 04:56 PM
I think that both are the same thing. :tem

Uzumaki_10
March 04, 2010, 07:10 PM
I Studying at now and lot of years (LOL), i never worked before, and at the moment i prefere the Studying for a worked in my mind. X)

Muhbaer
March 13, 2010, 12:36 PM
The title says it all. Which do you think is the one that you prefer to do? Studying and working have their own pros and cons and I like to know what you think about it. Please don't just think about paycheck if you choose working because that's not everything there is to working. :D Bax and I talked this out but we couldn't find a solution so the next best thing to do, post it here and let you guys decide. :D Go ahead!! :thumbs

If you have the privilege to choose, then do what you think you can do your whole life without getting either bored or depressed or whatever.

There's also the possibility of working 20 hours per week plus studying.
If there is something you really are interested in(that you kinda love) then go to university and just do it :)

'Cause in the end we all should choose something we really can do our whole life, otherwise life could suck big time ^^

nanaDmari
March 17, 2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I'm finishing college this year... I'm already working... Is good to earn your own money and not depend on others...
but I carry my personal projects as well... In my free time I kind of "work" also... I like my work, but dealing with some clients and their crazies deadlines is stressing... My projects I finish when and how I like...

Isogi
March 17, 2010, 08:37 PM
Prefer work that provides a bit of a mental challenge. I don't like menial work, and the only downside to studying is that I don't feel like I'm really accomplishing anything. I want an interactive job, I'd die in a cubicle.

himitsu87
March 18, 2010, 01:41 AM
Though work could be tiring but in my opinion, I think it's more convenient that studying. I mean in studying you worry about exams, quizzes, assignments ... etc and it's TOO tiring :P

desireable
April 02, 2010, 04:16 AM
Studying... but don't like to

TofuPenguin
April 11, 2010, 06:13 AM
Studying. I don't really mind it, consider it as a time passer-by :)
Although working...It really depends where you work.

Ichimai
April 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
Both for me. I need money to buy material studies thing as books and other stuff for my course.

steelwingcrash1
February 07, 2011, 08:45 AM
I am a teacher and I already know what it means to both study (I have been a student once, too) and teach. Studying is a lot fun because you don't get to pressure yourself except for deadlines of projects and reviews for examinations. Unlike my work, I'm the one making the examinations which is a lot harder than taking the exams.

mattiaildivino
February 07, 2011, 04:34 PM
I prefer studying,cause I don't stress myself studying,and I don't want to work cause I don't like practical activities,while I like theoretical ones.

Jorge D. Dragon
February 08, 2011, 02:30 PM
For now I'd say that studing is great, cause I'm still a student and I take my time being a student, though eventually I'd have to go to work, but actually both of them have advantages and disadvantages.:) You can come or not to the university or college or scholl, but you can't come to youw work or you will be kicked out.:) But you are paid for your working and you aren't paid for your studies, so everything has its bright and dark side.:))

steelwingcrash1
February 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thumbs up. So savor your schooling days because you'll realize it will have ended before you know it.

Working is hard because I have to be very independent. I have to produce my own money for my own needs. My parents are no longer present to support me because they have finally done their role in letting me finish my studies.

phio_chan
February 11, 2011, 09:13 AM
Studying... is actually interesting. Lately I'm in mood to study foreign languages. I so want to continue my German and Japanese. Personally I think that even when we work, we also need to study along with it. So it's like a long-life learning, lol~ Although I tend to be lazy at most of the times. So studying, yeah. :P

steelwingcrash1
February 12, 2011, 08:31 AM
When you're studying, you only sit in a room, do your assignments, study for exams, and then do whatever you want as long as your duties are done.

In my work, I even had to attend Saturday classes (most of the time, without pay - but it's all right.) I had to sacrifice my Sundays for extra work taken home, etc.

So, studying has got to be the better one.

Roflkopt3r
February 12, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'm quite glad about my course: Studying - working - studying.
Only after full-time working it becomes obvious why studying is so important and how enjoyable it can actually be. So right now I'm eager to start at university.

Obviously, studying is only a tool for finding a good job though. Although I think that understanding and enlightement can be joyfull, too.

Mama Satsuki
February 15, 2011, 02:55 PM
If I could, I would do neither. But both can be enjoyable, just depends of where I am and with who.

I hated high school, but am loving university. And the only time I actually had a boss, I liked her so much that I tried my best, even thougth it was as trainee and I wasn't to be paid (it was part of my school curriculum)

I just don't like doing much of anything that involves me having to actually move :p but I like learning new stuff, and hard work ennobles the human spirit, so they say. If I get to like it, I can work hard for it.

Zeltrax
February 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
Knowledge is power. So, Studying.
I never worked before, so my opinion is pretty much one-sided.
Like someone mentioned before, studying is all about racking your brains and simply finding the answer to the question whereas when you work, you have to deal with many kind of things the society throws at your face. In my country, our school is a very sheltered place(IMO) and yet people want to hurry and go out there to work.
Totally forgetting that if they do not excel in studies, they are just a fish in the big ocean.

But it really depends on what field you're in and ofc if you want to enjoy working, then you must enjoy your job. It's the same thing really, if you want to enjoy studying, then you must enjoy uh..studying? O_O

steelwingcrash1
February 22, 2011, 08:52 AM
If I could, I would do neither. But both can be enjoyable, just depends of where I am and with who.

I hated high school, but am loving university. And the only time I actually had a boss, I liked her so much that I tried my best, even thougth it was as trainee and I wasn't to be paid (it was part of my school curriculum)

In my opinion, being a trainee and being a real-time worker have two different sides of the coin. For me, as a trainee, I was expected to do well from the start. Still, I acted without care of my OJT and they couldn't care less because I was still just a student. During the time I failed in accomplishing the goals of the school principal, my critique/coordinating teacher got reprimanded, instead of me. More than that, I only stayed in my OJT venue for a maximum of 4 hours a day! I thought working life as a teacher will be a sinecure one. :-_-

When I started to work for real, I often got reprimanded - well, not really reprimanded, but rather, pointed out - by my principal. My idea of a sinecure teaching profession when I was a trainee vanished for an instant. :amuse

So I should say, between the two (once being a trainee as part of a school curriculum AND now working real time), I really prefer being a student because I was a free one. Unlike working now, I am constricted with my job and my reputation as a teacher. :amuse

But it was a good thing that I finally learned how to love my job. ;)

Mama Satsuki
February 22, 2011, 09:05 PM
I did get reprimanded as a trainee, it was part of learning from my mistakes; and since I worked doing clinical exams (too late for me to look up the english equivalent of what I did, sorry x_x), such as blood and urine exams for real people, mistakes should be redone until they were right. But I enjoyed it still, never thougth it was easy, hated getting up early on my vacation to do something for which I wasn't being paid, but loved the experience either way. Loved those 6 months more then the rest of my high school :p

But, as I said, I just loved my boss back then enough to do a good job. I was dead set into impressing her. Working for real, if I like the place just as much, I hope to do as well as I did back then, but I am sure after some time I will get tired :o

Well, I compared my high school with my first trainee job. I will say of what I think by comparing university and real job in a few years (only 3, hopefully) , as soon as I finish the first and start the second :nod

Still, I can't choose if I like studies or work better :p For now I will just say that, for me: Study o x 1 Work until highschool, and Study 1x1 Work since then and until now with university.

S01
February 26, 2011, 05:55 AM
I like to study while I work.

steelwingcrash1
February 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
Studying while working? How can that be? Could you possibly be...

... a working college student?
... a teacher?
... a lawyer or doctor?

blai
February 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
There's always part-time jobs that works good for students!

Personally I got quite tired at studying so I'm planning on dropping out as soon as I get a job (currently on an epic job hunt!)

Asarii
March 01, 2011, 11:19 PM
Right now I'm studying, but during the summer I'd like to work to get more experience. (Preferably at my university so I'll still be used to the environment.)

soyokaze
March 24, 2011, 01:35 AM
If I don't have to work, I only want to study.
But sadly reality is so harsh, I have to do both. Still grateful that I can go to school (and YAY for me since I can afford to go this semester)

mak123
March 27, 2011, 06:15 AM
I'm studing for the university, but i'd prefear to work (even if at the university i have lot's of "holidays") XD

Channy
March 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
Im working two jobs right now for a school district where i live but i plan on going back to school in the fall cause i graduated from high school in 2009 and i think its time to go back to school