PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Strongest 2nd String High Schooler

Kaoz
August 13, 2011, 04:26 AM
It might be a bit too early for this as we didn't see much of Tokugawa and Oni yet, but I was wondering, who do you guys think is the strongest of those three?

Some information that may or may not be relevant:

At the beginning of the series, the court distribution was:
-Tokugawa - 1st Court
-Oni - 5th Court
-Irie - 3rd Court

The rank they were given in the 2nd String's selection against the 1st String:
-Tokugawa - No. 1
-Oni - No. 2
-Irie - No. 3

Respective Middle Schooler opponents:
-Tokugawa - Echizen
-Oni - Kintarou
-Irie - Atobe

As expected of the best of the strong players in the training camp~.
http://fanbook.livejournal.com/40442.html

Yeah I know that it might be meaningless, but I'm still interested in what other people think about it.

That's about it from my side I guess, please vote and discuss. Feel free to talk about specific rankings (i.e. No. 1, 2, 3) or how the Middle Schoolers compare to them as well.

LetalHawk
August 13, 2011, 08:15 AM
It's a difficult question because as you said we don't know Oni and Tokugawa's true strength, but if I have to decide, I think Tokugawa, but only because he's badass and has an ability similar to Yips.

But, to be honest, I would say that Yukimura is at the same level of Oni or if not even better

KuwabaraTheMan
August 13, 2011, 11:07 AM
Right now I'm thinking that it would be Kazuya. So far, he's been set up as the strongest of the group, but that could obviously change. We haven't seen much from him in terms of skills, but I think that should change soon.

Airgrimes
August 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
Yh, I guess the common choice would be Tokugawa.
But after seeing Oni crush Takei Toshio, someone who should be roughly Nakaugauchi's level, it makes me wonder.

Also, if we go back a while, there was a 2nd Court, they may have had some strong ppl.
(I doubt they LITERALLY ran away from the camp.) There were originally 8 of them,
and in Tokugawa's court,(1st Court) There was him and Tanegishima. Tanegishima is really a 1st Stringer so that leaves a possible 6 other guys.

Hopefully Konomi reveals these guys properly. Like shows them all have a full match and not just a 'turn the page and then there on the floor',
Like he's done with the original 3rd Court and some other 2 geezers.

Coz this is a good question.
It would help if we were given a backstory on them.
Like how Nakagauchi has lost to Oni before when he says he wants to pay him back.

Bowser
August 13, 2011, 08:40 PM
We've not seen enough yet I'm afraid...some other guys who appeared in the colour sheets might be pretty good too...

As for Oni crushing Takei Toshio, he's just fodder, not a good indicator I'm afraid. Which is a shame, his lookalike manga counterpart Akisame from HSD is absolutely beast.

We don't need any side stories of Oni beating Nakagauchi though =/, it will just slow the plot down and he's already been beaten down by Danji. In fact, judging from what we've seen, Danji seems a bit stronger than Oni (unless Oni was just holding back with his BJK and everything else...)

Dressrosa
August 14, 2011, 02:06 AM
Even if we have yet to see a full match of him, I'd still give it to Tokugawa.

The fact that he crushed Ryoma, although I assumed Ryoma didn't got to activate PoP there, just show that he is beastly.

Irie is still a mystery to me, even after that match with Atobe. Same with Oni whom we really don't know the real strenght of.

I think Tokugawa, but only because he's badass and has an ability similar to Yips.

Does he really have the same ability as Yips? IIRC, Kirihara said, yes, that he experienced with Tokugawa the same thing Yukimura does but that wasn't on a tennis battle. I thought it was only like an effect because Yukimura and Tokugawa have that similar blank/creepy look in their eyes. And solely gives you the chills.

Kaoz
August 14, 2011, 08:20 AM
I pretty much agree that Tokugawa was set up as the strongest so far, nevertheless I'll try to make some points in Irie's favour...

1) The quote I provided in the OP
Sure, it's only the pair puri and only the opinion of one character, but it's still the most straight forward thing we ever got regarding their relative strengths.

2) Court Distribution
As you might recall, the original court distribution is 8 players each for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Court, so before the 1st String left, they must have occupied all of 1st and 2nd Court and 4 of the 8 3rd Court spots. In other words, the other half of 3rd Court was made up of the strongest 2nd Stringers, and as we know Irie stayed behind on that very court.
This isn't anything solid really and all it means is that Irie is one of the 2nd String's top 4, but I wanted to point this out nevertheless, it's somewhat important for my other points.

3) Chance to become a 1st Stringer
What I get out of Akiba saying this is that Irie actually made the 1st String at some point, but decided to stay a 2nd String member to strengthen everyone else. The same probably can't be said about Tokugawa, as he decided to go to the 1st Court instead of staying on Court 3 or 4. 1st Court is so hard to reach (not to mention pretty good to begin with), I think it's safer to assume that he simply didn't make the 1st String.

4) Plays against No. 20
This is more of a plot device thing, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the 2nd String's best player face the 1st String's weakest to show how strong the 1st Stringers actually are? After all, if only No. 3 or 4 of the 2nd String lost to No. 20 of the 1st String (for the record, I still think Irie will win that match), we still wouldn't know whether No. 1 or 2 of the 2nd String (i.e. Tokugawa, Oni) might have been strong enough to win.

That's pretty much all I have at the moment for Irie... I guess points 2 and 3 could be made for Oni to some degree as well... everyone else already pointed out why it could be Tokugawa.

Airgrimes
August 19, 2011, 05:58 PM
We've not seen enough yet I'm afraid...some other guys who appeared in the colour sheets might be pretty good too...

As for Oni crushing Takei Toshio, he's just fodder, not a good indicator I'm afraid. Which is a shame, his lookalike manga counterpart Akisame from HSD is absolutely beast.

We don't need any side stories of Oni beating Nakagauchi though =/, it will just slow the plot down and he's already been beaten down by Danji. In fact, judging from what we've seen, Danji seems a bit stronger than Oni (unless Oni was just holding back with his BJK and everything else...)

Slow the plot down?
Anime's/Manga's without flashbacks suck. Although some tend to go overboard with them, Manga's need them to give the story depth I feel.
Like without the whole Tezuka defeating Sanada flashback, and the whole Yanagi and Inui Primary School classmates thing,

I agree with what your saying totally though, except that a flashback might help show the depth of Oni, Irie and Tokugawa since Tokugawa flinches at Byoudouin when he shouts ''FINALLY GREW SOME BALLS HUH?''.
A flashback would fit greatly there, get what I mean?

Unless this New Prince Of Tennis isnt going to get animated, then Flashbacks will indeed slow the plot down.
Because in Anime's flashbacks dont matter too much.