PDA

View Full Version : Favorites Favorite Deaths and Returns from Death

ashher
August 29, 2011, 03:55 AM
By 'returns from death' i mean both the cases where a really dead guy is actually resurrected, and the cases where you thought the guy was dead, but later was revealed to be alive. Also don't forget to mention what you loved about that death or the revival. Due to the nature of the topic, i must insist you folks to use spoiler tags.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Recently i came across two touching deaths in two mangas(manhwas, actually) which prompted me start this thread. Those were: 1.Priest The death of Nera/Netraphim. A fallen angel who was cursed to live as a woman, but retained immortality and magical powers. She gave up her immortality and all those powers to save a town. But she was feared and hated by those very townspeople and was hanged. Right at the time of her hanging, another fallen angel still tried to persue her to hate humans and god and give up on them, but she held onto her hope in men and god even when she was hanged. . 2. Ares The death Cygnus, the Black Swan. The manhwa-ga did a terrific job of establishing a parallel between Cygnus and the hero Ares. Both of them had a mission of vengeance and a girlfriend waiting. Ares at the end of the fight let him live upon finding out about his girlfriend and went away. At the beginning of the fight, i had feared that cygnus will die (Ares isn't like the shonens where the hero kills nobody), then just when i felt glad that both of them will be alive...a friend of our hero comes and mockingly kills Cygnus. It struck a chord with me since it happened just when i wasn't expecting it..

Asarii
August 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
Nothing can top the two major deaths in Death Note. I'm pretty sure almost everyone would know which scenes I'm talking about. :p

I don't like it when a major character who has been explicitly stated* as dead returns from the grave without a really good reason. Minor characters and implied deaths ("this guy might have died but we're not sure") are okay though.

*The death scene and corpse was shown; other characters announce the death; there was a funeral; and the death advances the plot.

ZayCon
August 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
I have to agree with Asarii on the Death Note statement. Those were fantastic!

One Piece:
Ace! I kind of have mixed feelings for this. The death was brilliantly well done, but it's also very sad to loose such a great character.

Naruto:
Jiraya's death. Kind of the same feeling as with the death in One Piece. Horrible, but extremely well done.

Vinland Saga:
When Askeladd beheades King Sweyn. Shocking plot-twist!

Berserk:
All the deaths at the first Eclipse. I had goose bumps over my whole body - for at least 10 days!

Bleach (yeah, I'm actually mentioning it):
When everyone thinks that Aizen is dead. Epic plot-twist and great "ressurection".

M3J
August 29, 2011, 06:17 PM
Jiraiya's death was my favorite. So beautifully done and made me cry. Definitely had a great death.

Kakashi's death was also good. Both he and Jiraiya chose to die to protect their loved ones than run away or let an ally get killed. Kakashi definitely was epic as always, willing to put his life at risk for others without a moment's hesitation, and the way he trusted Chouji and his generation was awesome as well.

Sandaime Hokage, Hiruzen, had a great, symbolic death as well. The old dies out after imparting wisdom and raising the youth to take their place. The way he was proud to die for his village was good to see, and sad since he was killed by his beloved student. Well, not really killed, but he was forced to die because of his beloved student.

Going Merry's death just made me cry. T'was more sad to see its death than Ace's, IMO. It was an integral part of Strawhat crew and to see it finally die after all the adventures it's gone on with the SH was just, saddening. Oda did a great job humanizing the ship.

Bromamura
August 30, 2011, 03:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJl0V7GWRqc

Such mental strength and conviction, only to be ultimately rendered futile in such a grotesque manner. It's quite painful to watch, after all she's just a teenager.

ashher
August 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
^ ah yes there are some mighty good deaths and death scenes in anime. Two of my favorites: 1. Code Geass...you know what i'm talking about. Brilliant ending. 2.Cowboy Bebop...not much to say about this one either. While the CG one's value lies in plot and character development, this one's vaule lies in pure aesthetics. Best death scene ever.

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I'm with Asarii about the 'returns' from death...its not usually a palatable plot device. But who else can be expectued to turn even this into a brilliant ploy except THE Naoki Urosawa. 20th Century boys: Return of Keniji...forget your shonen heroes, this guy is the true champion of average ppl. My heart leapt to see him again after his supposed death...and he was even cooler than before :)

Asarii
August 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
Askeladd's death had quite the impact for it to be a pre-planned one. Not only did Canute gain power as a ruler and more badassery, it also affected Thorfinn's psyche to an incredible degree since his only motivation to live was to avenge his father's death.

HegemonKhan
August 31, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'm with Asarii about the 'returns' from death...its not usually a palatable plot device. But who else can be expectued to turn even this into a brilliant ploy except THE Naoki Urosawa. 20th Century boys:

AND.... Norihiro Yagi in his Claymore manga (and anime but only for #2):

1. Miria's seeming death in ch 107 and her return in ch 113

2. Irene's seeming death in ch 24 and her return in ch 36

3. the 3 Resurrected Rank 1 Claymores introduced in recent chapters: Hysteria, Roxanne, and Cassandra (though them and their deaths are still quite shrouded in mystery)

ZayCon
September 02, 2011, 06:24 AM
Going Merry's death just made me cry. T'was more sad to see its death than Ace's, IMO. It was an integral part of Strawhat crew and to see it finally die after all the adventures it's gone on with the SH was just, saddening. Oda did a great job humanizing the ship.

Totally agree! The manga didn't really make me cry, but the anime did!

benelori
September 06, 2011, 05:36 AM
The deaths of Minato and Kushina were fantastic I think

The death of Mana was shocking, unbelievable and well written...but of course many deaths in that manga were pretty good

I don't really remember dead people being brought back to life though...well at least except Edo Tensei in Naruto, but that's it, so I don't remember any good ones

Michalv
September 06, 2011, 10:40 AM
AND.... Norihiro Yagi in his Claymore manga (and anime but only for #2):

1. Miria's seeming death in ch 107 and her return in ch 113

2. Irene's seeming death in ch 24 and her return in ch 36

3. the 3 Resurrected Rank 1 Claymores introduced in recent chapters: Hysteria, Roxanne, and Cassandra (though them and their deaths are still quite shrouded in mystery)
Agree with this! Miria's comeback is little unexpected, i think.

M3J
September 07, 2011, 06:12 PM
The deaths of Minato and Kushina were fantastic I think
I don't really remember dead people being brought back to life though...well at least except Edo Tensei in Naruto, but that's it, so I don't remember any good ones

You forget the end of Pain arc when Nagato revived everyone, including Kakashi?

Asclepius
September 09, 2011, 04:13 AM
Azuma's death was touching. I cried watching the anime and reading the manga.

Kushina and Minato's death got me to sobbing. If they play Tragic when it gets anumated, i will certainly get puffed eyes again.

Gaara's ressurection and Chyio's death also brought me to tears. That was a great arc.

Asari's "death" was my first time crying in yaoi. It was certainly one emotional moment when the kami became hakushi again.
And it was also beautiful to see when Waki brought him back to "life".

Gin's death was interesting. It was a lot of violence growing and resulting in his death. I loved the panels.

Camus death was very poetic. I loved the whole master X pupil story.

naruto-niichan
September 11, 2011, 09:52 AM
Askeladd's death had quite the impact for it to be a pre-planned one. Not only did Canute gain power as a ruler and more badassery, it also affected Thorfinn's psyche to an incredible degree since his only motivation to live was to avenge his father's death.

I totally agree, definitely one of the most important deaths.

Berserk:

The deaths of nearly all the Members of the Band of the Hawk. So intense and so emotional, it was mind-blowing...

Shingeki no Kyojin:

Well it wasn't an actual death but normally Eren would have been definitely dead after the Titan swallowed him. His "supposed" death and his return were both awesome

ashher
September 12, 2011, 04:29 AM
@Asclepius, that was a good use of the 'return from death' trope in my opinion too. How could i forget that one?

destiny4ever
December 04, 2011, 08:18 PM
Clannad After Story

Nagisa’s death. Her death was…extremely poignant, it was so painful to watch her die, I was literally crying during that scene. Her death marked a turning point in Tomoya’s life and showed us just how important she was to him. That’s why I was so elated when she was resurrected in the last episode of the series. Yes, I know her resurrection was the source of debate among Clannad fans, but I’m part of the camp that loved the fact that she was brought back to life.

kdowns
December 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
Full Metal Alchemist

Van Hohenheim's death after the defeat of Father and he died at Trisha's grave site... It was beautifully done in the Anime adaptation in episode 63 of Brotherhood...

Hughes' death which I can't believe hasn't been mentioned at all, who had his whole life in front of him with is family, but he is killed for knowing to much by Envy.

destiny4ever
December 05, 2011, 11:43 PM
About the second death in your post:

That death was so sad…I was especially touched by the part of Roy crying in the cemetery. :(

Another death from FMA that I liked was Riza’s death or I better say “her resurrection”. I was so relived when it was shown that she hadn’t died.

kdowns
December 05, 2011, 11:47 PM
Also Full metal alchemist

Can't Alphonse getting his body back be technically classified as his resurrection as technically he is dead, but Ed preforms Human Transmutation to bring him back? This marked the end of their journey that was started at the begining of the series for their original bodies

destiny4ever
December 05, 2011, 11:58 PM
I guess…it can be taken as his resurrection…his resurrection to his life as a human being. And I just remember another death worth mentioning from FMA. The death of Fu, his death was so full of gar and courage, it was awesome and sad all at the same time.

kdowns
December 06, 2011, 12:04 AM
It was... Now that I think about, almost all of the deaths in FMA are worth noting.

M3J
December 06, 2011, 12:16 AM
Is Fu the old man, the girl protecting the prince's gramps? If so, then he went out the way men should, he and Buccaneer.

Minato, Hiruzen, Jiraiya, and Kakashi's deaths are also pretty good. They didn't have to die, they could have survived and continued to fight more battles, but they chose to sacrifice themselves for others. All four have one thing in common: they sacrificed themselves for their village and for the next generation. Funny thing is, Minato was Kakashi's mentor, while Jiraiya was Minato's, while Hiruzen was Jiraiya's.

Hiruzen chose to die and be sealed in Death God's belly, fighting Orochimaru's arms and his previous two successors, to stop Orochimaru. Jiraiya chose to not run away and get a closer look at Pain to find out the truth and when he got crushed, he came back to life with willpower to pass on the message about the real identity of Pain. Minato chose to do what Hiruzen did, but seal the Kyuubi instead of people, when he could have survived and looked after Naruto. Though, Minato's action came before Hiruzen's did, so it's more like Hiruzen chose to do what Minato did. Kakashi didn't need to die either, he could have let Chouji deal with the attack; yet Kakashi ensured Chouji's safety and the information being told to people by usin the last of his chakra to warp away the missile.

They died like heroes in order to protect others.

destiny4ever
December 06, 2011, 12:35 AM
It was... Now that I think about, almost all of the deaths in FMA are worth noting.
QFT.

Is Fu the old man, the girl protecting the prince's gramps? If so, then he went out the way men should, he and Buccaneer.

Yes, that very man is Fu. And you are totally right, Buccaneer’s death was full of gar too. They sacrificed themselves in order to protect what they loved and believed in.

Bromamura
May 26, 2012, 10:48 AM
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4793/ch508ukpage09.png
We all know what came next, badass to the end.

crimsonlink310
May 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
Wow lots of people are skipping the older mangas which is kinda sad.

DBZ

Krillin: Sure Dragon Balls would revive him by then but the feeling you get when you see Krillin blow up, it was rather scary honestly.
Goku: I felt so sad when Goku died against Cell and he decided not to come back to life.
Vegeta: Sacrificed himself to defeat Majin Buu.
Piccolo: Saved Gohan from Nappa
Future Gohan: It was heartbreaking seeing him get double teamed and blasted
A lot more from DBZ

Yu Yu Hakusho

Toguro's death: Epic is the word to describe it
Yusuke: Died and came back a demon and pwned Sensui
Raizen: Died of starvation because of love

Ruronin Kenshin

Kaoru: Her fake death broke Kenshin and her being alive brought him back
Tomoe: Kenshin's wife and the reason he became a ronin.

Bleach

Masaki Kurosaki: She died protecting her son from a monster, major props to her.
Gin: Died but almost killed Aizen.
Ichigo: Died from a Cero but came back in Hollow form and pwned Ulquiorra.
Chojiro Sasakibe: First victim of the war, was loyal to SS in his very last moments and gave important information to Yama-ji.
Kaien Shiba: Saved Rukia by killing himself

One Piece

All the crew members family and friends that have died pretty much.

Naruto
Jiraiya's is the only good death for me. Didn't care too much about Asuma or Naruto parent's deaths.
Itachi gets props for dying from a disease while beating the shit out of his brother and pretty much winning the battle

Reborn
Uni's death, wow rage trigger for Tsuna.

There are a lot more but this should suffice.

R3D
May 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYZetYjKic

Return from the Dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOWXI-oy2mU&feature=related