PDA

View Full Version : The 7 Year Time Skip Thread

Quantized
October 02, 2011, 12:20 PM
Aight, so we just got a 7 years time skip ahead into the future of the Fairy Tail universe smashed in our faces, quite literally, for the better or the worse, this thread is to question, why 7 years?
It could turn out rather good or it could turn out for the worse, but I think we can all agree on, this was pretty sudden and unexpected.

So a big question remain, will which now follows be just as unpredictable...? What is there to come now when the scene tables in the manga has been cleaned, what possible crazy ideas could be realized in this universe of Fairy Tail when anything could have happened in these 7 years...?
Crazy could be good, I for one is thirsty for something unoriginal from the manga world, are you..?
What purpose is there to 7 years...? Could it be to prepare a long term manga from unexpected manga success...?

Side track: Is the girl we see here a Fairy..?
http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/99983324/10
or is she possibly Grandine (Wendy's mother dragon...?) or could she be something else entirely...? Did she protect them..?

Anything related to the 7 years, the magic number, your thoughts...?

Vengeance
October 03, 2011, 05:16 PM
1. Fairy Tail will have a reputation of a weak/pathetic guild. Kind of like the joke of the Magic World so to speak. Everyone would have forgotten about the once powerful guild who defeated Phantom Lord, Oración Seis(with help), Grimoire Heart, & Eisenwald.

2. The Balam Alliance no longer exist while Raven Tail has gained influence over the other dark guilds after defeating Tartaros.

3. Macao Conbolt, Shitou Yajima, or Porlyusica has become the new guildmaster.

4. How they survived
A. Fried transported everyone into a pocket dimension that exist inside of a magic book. They'll be released once Romeo finds the book & randomly reads a passage from it.

B. Lucy somehow transported everyone to the land of stellar spirits(The fairy chick in white was a stellar spirit of the ultra platinum key set).

C. They went to Edolas.

D. They were teleported to the land of fairies by the spirit of Mavis (The little girl/fairy).

5. Depending on what happened they may or may not have aged.

6. Wendy hopefully will look like this.
http://plus4chan.org/b/jam/src/130125071521.jpg

AandWguy
October 03, 2011, 06:34 PM
.... i think this is a bad idea since this has been going for five years, yet maybe the reset will help and make new questions so the manga will last longer. Still dont care for the idea.

White Silver King
October 03, 2011, 06:56 PM
I like it. Fairy Tail was getting repetitive and stagnant, the time skip adds an element of uncertainty and excitement so, for me, it's a welcome change. And I like that it was unexpected, I don't like obvious time-skips.

Dracula
October 04, 2011, 06:41 AM
It would be cool if Wendy will look like that! He used 7 because he always used that number :O

Ifrit
October 04, 2011, 01:46 PM
It's one of the mysteries in this series that hard to predict for me really....but..

I'll go with : every 7 years the "Dragon King feast" occur

kidopitz27
October 04, 2011, 07:09 PM
i think that girl/fairy is the Tenrou Tree or the guardian on Tenrou Tree and maybe she teleported the whole island somewhere or a timeline maybe that little kid is Mavis himself and starting a guild :)

i like the theory of making the FT a weak guild or people saying they disappeared and they will say that because they lost to a guild and cannot face it and vanished :)

ZERO PHOENIX
October 06, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think the whole "7" year thing is another way FT ties into RAVE. It's probably not hugely significant to the plot so much as it might be a tie-in. In RAVE, didn't Overdrive destroy 1/10 of the world in the year 7777 or something like that?

sarutobi_sensei
October 06, 2011, 11:05 AM
Nah it didn't, it was on 0015.

Maybe each 7 years massive changes to the world happen. Though this has to be tied to Layla's death. She had a mission that she couldn't say to caprico.

7 is also a very strong magical number. Same with 7 Sins and 7 Virtues. Maybe there are only 7 Dragon Slayers as well, the true ones. Fire, Metal, Air, Water, Light, Dark and some other that we don't know of.

But sure, there can be a lot more xD

lordoffantasy
October 06, 2011, 01:41 PM
Nah it didn't, it was on 0015.

Maybe each 7 years massive changes to the world happen. Though this has to be tied to Layla's death. She had a mission that she couldn't say to caprico.

7 is also a very strong magical number. Same with 7 Sins and 7 Virtues. Maybe there are only 7 Dragon Slayers as well, the true ones. Fire, Metal, Air, Water, Light, Dark and some other that we don't know of.

But sure, there can be a lot more xD

no, not dark. that would mean acnologia is involved, and it just blew up an entire isalnd jsut to get rid of some annoying humans, which it will probably be mad about when they turn up alive. i think that dark dragon is a kind of dragon rogue, maybe even a criminal of dragons. it is the only one that is left on earth, or so it seems.
maybe you are right, though. only seven dragon slayers. aside for dark, that is.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

the number seven is really a plot device in fairy tail. fortunately, if you look back, you can see hints that there was gonna be a time skip, forshadowing.

think back ot when we thought our adorable little dragon slayer loli had bit it. it turns out she was teleported away from trouble. i think that seemingly random situation was a hint to us loyal fans that somethign was gonna happen, make it look like they died, but they will survive. however, i think it is gonna be a scattered arc like in one piece. maybe their fairy tail pride would not allow them to return home indiividually, so isntead they are looking for one another. the world is a pretty damn big place.

Vengeance
October 06, 2011, 03:57 PM
Well I doubt you need a light/holy element when Wind acts as the healing power for the dragons. Unless of course you're saying Light as in short for Lightning. However since there is already a Lightning Dragon Slayer who is confirmed to be fake there really wouldn't be a point to introducing a Lightning Dragon unless it's done to Train Laxus himself.

With that said the obvious Dragons/Slayers should be Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Metal, ???, ???. Water & Earth are a given based on fantasy logic/trends. Still a bit confused on how Metal fits into that. Whether or not Light & Dark are the final two remain to be seen.

sarutobi_sensei
October 06, 2011, 08:02 PM
Well I doubt you need a light/holy element when Wind acts as the healing power for the dragons. Unless of course you're saying Light as in short for Lightning. However since there is already a Lightning Dragon Slayer who is confirmed to be fake there really wouldn't be a point to introducing a Lightning Dragon unless it's done to Train Laxus himself.

With that said the obvious Dragons/Slayers should be Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Metal, ???, ???. Water & Earth are a given based on fantasy logic/trends. Still a bit confused on how Metal fits into that. Whether or not Light & Dark are the final two remain to be seen.

I actually mean Light/Holy, as a counterpart to Dark/Darkness.

Following the Chinese Elements, we should have only 5, Water, Metal, Earth, Fire, Wood. I honestly doubt that a Wood DS exists, so, I'd say that Air is there for wood. Then we should have Dark and Light dragon. This is just my logic, totally random, nothing to prove it, except for the 3 that we already know that exist.

However, if there are fake Dragon Slayers who have been given Lachrima with Dragon Slayer powers in them, means that those dragons should've existed, or should still exist. We had Poison and Lightning.

kidopitz27
October 06, 2011, 11:02 PM
7 dragons? hmmmm.... i think Chrono Cross has 7 too......

Sky dragon (Wind/light)
Earth Dragon (Earth/Metal)
Green Dragon (wood/grass)
Fire Dragon (Fire/Magma)
Water dragon (Water/Ice)
Black Dragon (Dark/Shadow)

and the last one the
Divine Dragon God (combination of the 7) :) i think this one is close to that 7 dragons

HaiSuShi
October 07, 2011, 01:54 AM
I always understood the Fake Dragon Slayers as inferior "copies" of the Original DS, meaning that the lachryma they have implanted is taken from a real Dragon. If that's right, we have 5 elements known: Fire, Metal, Air, Lightning and Poison.
Also, the Fake DS seem to have a stronger Base level, but can't grow or become stronger, as opposed to the Original DS.

kkck
October 07, 2011, 10:28 AM
^I don't think the manga has ever portrayed fake dragon slayers as inferior. If anything, haven't cobra and laxus been significantly more powerful than natsu, gazille or wendy? Natsu only won against cobra because he took advantage of the guys ability but in a straight fight natsu did not even land a hit and the poison was slowly getting to him. Laxus is probably in gildarts league. I think we will eventually see the difference between real and fake dragon slayers in time however it won't necessarily be that the fakes are innately inferior to the real ones IMO (at least when it comes to the conventional use of their abilities).

HaiSuShi
October 07, 2011, 03:22 PM
By 'inferior' I meant that the Original DS have the potential to become stronger than the fake Dragon slayers which seem to have a higher, but also more static level of base strength than the ODS. I agree with you that the Fake Dragon Slayers are more powerful than the ODS, but IMO they can't grow as much as the ODS in desperate situations. We will surely see what exactly is the difference between FDS and ODS in the future, but this is my theory until then.

I admit I could have worded that better, though.

sarutobi_sensei
October 07, 2011, 07:28 PM
To me it's also the same thing, sure, Fake Dragon Slayers might have stronger base power, but they lack in power overtime.

ca12nag3
October 08, 2011, 08:20 AM
From why 7 years to rare candy :D, how 1 can derail.

Anyways i think the 7 years is deliberate and planned ahead for at least 1 arc. We get all these possible pairings, EvergreenxElfman,JuviaxGrey,LevyxGajeel Anything else as in pairings isnt that obvious other then these 3. So what im saying is that in these 7 years they could be stranded in another dimension w/e place that is is up to debate, however they settled down married, some have kids. And after 7 years someone from the other side brings them back to the real world. And then we got families in FT.

zelllogan
October 08, 2011, 01:25 PM
Give me one big adventure shounen, where it's better after timeskip than previous timeskip ... and I will stop worrying.
But seriously, one piece, naruto, bleach, dragon ball & the others ...

CannedJam
October 08, 2011, 01:49 PM
Give me one big adventure shounen, where it's better after timeskip than previous timeskip ... and I will stop worrying.

That's the problem...there's only a handful of "big adventure shounen" manga that don't go through a time skip. Granted One Piece is still on it's first official arc (has it already been a year since Fishman Island started? :/), time skips are rarely a good thing aside from being a great way to make the characters stronger and have the reader enjoy a new environment.

kkck
October 08, 2011, 04:17 PM
Well, 7 has been a key number when it comes to this manga in particular. It shows up in many forms. Lucy's mom died on a 7th, zeref appeared 7 years after the dragons disappeared apparently, 7 oracion 6 members(lol), 7 kin of purgatory. The manga events started 7 years after the dragons disappeared and lucy's mom died and once that ended seven years later we see things picking up again. The number has relevance, we just can't say what it was.... I was thinking that perhaps the seven years which just passed will relate to the dragon kings fest though.

ca12nag3
October 08, 2011, 05:57 PM

The timeskip is a tool writers use to get away from the same old same old, especially the been there done that. You guys seriously want FT to pwn yet another dark guild or see some more missions? Mashima picked a moment to fast forward, and perhaps we get to see what happend to each and every main cast member once they return, who knows they lived for 7 years stranded somewhere else (still on the island but in another dimension). This arc gives Mashima some time to develop characters that he most likely feels like deserve a second chance, namely the 2 gunners Romeo and i feel like the woodmage (glasses girl), forget her name all the time, as well as the Blue Pegasus.
Dont forget that theyll have to face the Aliance sooner or later and with no other guild being featured well enough its like FT is owning everything on its own yet the story setting says the dark guilds are really powerfull. So i say lets wait and see what this 7 years can give us ^^.

xdanx
October 09, 2011, 08:12 AM
If you didn't like those, then sorry but you know nothing about what makes better or worst a manga, and you should learn that before saying something :/ most of them where better after the timeskip, but you can live in your fantasy world where they are worst, and leave your comments there too, where we won't have to read them ;D

sarutobi_sensei
October 11, 2011, 11:30 AM
That's the problem...there's only a handful of "big adventure shounen" manga that don't go through a time skip. Granted One Piece is still on it's first official arc (has it already been a year since Fishman Island started? :/), time skips are rarely a good thing aside from being a great way to make the characters stronger and have the reader enjoy a new environment.

Nearly 1 year yes.

Actually I don't agree with you when you say that they rarely are a good thing. I think they're awesome. What would you prefer? See training arcs for 2 years? See training arcs for 7 years? 30 chapters showing 1 month of training?

FT we saw how bad things were 7 years after they went missing. But we don't know the full extent of the damage. We don't know what Zeref has been doing, we don't know what happened to them, we don't know what will happen from here on out.

What we do know is that Mashima won't completely let us down. Sure it'll probably be something cliche in a couple of chapters, but it'll still be awesome imo.

zelllogan
October 15, 2011, 08:16 AM
What we do know is that Mashima won't completely let us down. Sure it'll probably be something cliche in a couple of chapters, but it'll still be awesome imo.

Still finding it awesome after last chapter ???

After timeskip, a manga is often earning new fans but also losing old ones ... & I'm often in the old ones.

ghostexiled
October 16, 2011, 01:07 AM
Guys remember to keep the discussion on the time skip for Fairy Tail and not how it compares or relates to other mangas that have done time skips as well.

Thanks!

kakashidad
October 16, 2011, 01:59 AM
The time skip...was a by product of the third greatest magic of Mavis.It was mustered from the very strenght of the guild she founded.In all probability it was the only way for the spell to work...just think things thru abit,In issue 214.We see Makarov say a little pray to none other than the 1st master of HIS guild.Low and behold in issue 255, 41 issue later lol.We see her return the fairy to a semblance of their timeline.In issue 253 we saw her emerge to help..lol.

Now there's alot of symbolism going on in this title.Especially around the number 7.Some of it imo has now been
answered.The very real possiblity exist that Mavis had preformed her spell before on the dragons and their ds.

Back to the time skip.I'm not dissappointed as some about this as the author clearly has an endgame that sofar
has eluded most if not all.As far as the magical world know.And it's been narrated don't forget or get too impatient.
The lost members were DEAD.Still those aligned to fairy tail did not give up! You can put ROMEO in there...

Makarov injuries could be explained by the fact that he haad seven yrs to come back to full health..''not really buying
that'' Or the fact that OFF panel.Wendy was able to administer even more of her healing magic.And thus we see him
looking more hearty than he did the last time he was seen lol.His New shirt can easiler be explained by Levy magic
conjuring up something new?

I like most assumed that the possiblity was there for the Ft members missing,Could of comeback souped up lol.But
then it's be another title that is failing rapidly imo.Man the arc just beagan there's so much more that can still happen.

As for any plothole defects..i-e Gazille undercover work.Then i don't really see it as a problem.He if i've got this right.
Has either completed that task or the info he has already gained.Will be sufficent.But either way it's only a manga!
lmao.For it to invoke so much negative feeling is...well sad.Go outside and get awAy from the boards.There's so
much more to life that this...that's a lesson you can take straight from the manga itself..pmsl.

kkck
October 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
I think seven in this manga is something similar to what seven is in harry potter. In harry potter 7 is supposed to be the most powerful magical number or something of the sort. The number seven has always appeared in different things, perhaps not just in time. Although, it does kinda seem like important events take place every 7 years. I think the purpose of the seven year timeskip was to take fairy tail members as they were to the next series of important events in history. 7 years before the manga layla died and the dragons disappeared, during the original timeline we dealt with a series of things related to zeref which ultimately had its origin with grimmoire heart. Gerard and the cult, nirvana (which was from the same time from which zeref originated), grimmoire heart (which wanted zeref and his power) and there was even an encounter between dragons (grandine and igneel) and perhaps most importantly the resurfacing of acknologia. Basically, events of massive importance to the world occur every 7 years.

Bigfoot187
October 17, 2011, 07:47 AM
I can see it now the connection
the different dragin slayers

An earth dragon, natsu the fire dragon, wendy the wind dragon, water, and gajeel metal

when these elemts combine they form

CAPTAIN PLANET , the ultimate dragon slayer :)

Raicrune
October 21, 2011, 02:36 PM
Is there a possibility that the 7 years timeskip is just for 1 ark? and that the Island was just send to the future? So it could be that they will be sended back to the original time after that one ark is finished and go further.. ?

Krono
October 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
Is there a possibility that the 7 years timeskip is just for 1 ark? and that the Island was just send to the future? So it could be that they will be sended back to the original time after that one ark is finished and go further.. ?

It's possible for it to be for only one arc, though if that's the case, I suspect that time travel was not involved in them arriving at the present, and thus the means to travel back to the past will be different than their arrival.

hoeru
October 21, 2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe the skip as plot device was necessary to make Tartaros - as the last dark guild of the Balam alliance - stronger and more dangerous than both Oración Seis and Grimoire Heart?

RaveDragon
October 23, 2011, 03:42 AM
Im starting to think we're jumping to conclusions a bit to fast, this time skip was a bit wierd for me and I had no idea why the characters were kept young if there had to be one. Training ost certainly would have been required as Acnologia and Zeref are still out there somewhere but it seems Mashima wants to set course to a special arc and since next chapter w might get a bit of the 'why?' to this time skip. I got mixed feelings but i kinda thinkit will be worth it ^^

Krono
October 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
You know I find it somewhat amusing that I said to someone on another forum before chapter 256 was out:

The purpose of the timeskip was not to provide offscreen power ups for the characters, nor to spend chapter after chapter exploring what Fairy Tail's state is without everyone. It was, from what we've seen so far, to provide the main and secondary characters with an experience reminiscent of Urashima Taro, Oisín, Rip Van Winkle, a king in the mountain, and in general countless tales of someone being or sleeping somewhere for what was a short time for them, but a long time for everyone else.

Then the chapter comes out, and this was the first page of narration:

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/fairy_tail/v25/c256/3.html

Apparently I was right on the mark.