PDA

View Full Version : Relationship between Natsu and Zeref

Bigfoot187
October 17, 2011, 06:13 AM
I was just wondering the other day, why was Zeref sooo focussed on Natsu.
I was thinking how can he know Natsu, what can be their relation.

Then it hit me what if Zeref was Natsu's father!
He does kinda look like him, but you would probably say he is too young. Well for an old
super mage he looks too young anyway, so maybe this wasn't the first fairy sphere he witnessed.

Also I think he may be the black dragon slayer Zeref. Seemingly his main power is when he has less regard for life people around him die, but isn't that the same he said about the dragon, he has no regard for human lives, caus he sees them as just pests. Would be a fitting power for a acknologia dragon slayer. (also caus it doesn't have an element)

soooo because of his black dragonslayer magic he could not be around other people anymore and became lonely and depressed just walking the earth for eternity.
But before that he had a son, and he I don't know somehow dropped him of with a dragon.
Well who would be able to kill him, have enough power, another dragonslayer, one who has the same magical lineage as himself maybe.

well maybe I'm totally wrong or myabe I'm part right, I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts about it :)

sarutobi_sensei
October 17, 2011, 07:50 PM
Honestly no. His brother or cousin? Maybe. His father? Lol no way. I'm not buying it even if Mashima tells it.

Imo, they met 400 years ago. Or even more time ago. They were part of the same order, a group of people who used the Dragon powers. Zeref most likely was tempted by something, or was really power hungry to become like what he was described. His friends, seeing what he was doing decided to make him stop, but the only one that could actually go toe to toe with him, was Natsu. Someone, most likely an ancestor of Lucy (hence the connection with Layla and probably even more of her ancestors) had some sort of power to stop Zeref, but Acnologia tried to kill that person.

Natsu wanting to protect that person decided to sacrifice his life in order to protect her.

Wendy used all her powers in order to bring back Natsu to life but the only thing that she could do was return him to a child or egg form of some sort using the dragons powers. Same with the other members of the order. Zeref touched by this decided to change and never kill again, but because of the nature of his powers he couldn't stay near people.

Acnologia angry with this swore some kind of revenge or something.

The other thing that could've happened is, Zeref changed because of Nirvana, but not only because of that, because Natsu and the other DS sacrificed themselves or used all of their power in order to stop Zeref for the sufficient time in order for him to change. After learning of what his close friends did, especially Natsu, he decided to change. The DS returned to their base egg forms or something and were frozen in space and time, kinda like how it happened now, until it was time they awoke.

Bigfoot187
October 18, 2011, 02:25 AM
OK now your making it into some camelot story with th eorder of who know what.
Caus now ya saying they are like reincarnations or something?
Sorry but not buying it, I liked the critic more

if this what you said was even half true I would stop watching fairy tail immediately

sarutobi_sensei
October 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
OK now your making it into some camelot story with th eorder of who know what.
Caus now ya saying they are like reincarnations or something?
Sorry but not buying it, I liked the critic more

if this what you said was even half true I would stop watching fairy tail immediately

How else do you intend to explain:
Gérard mentioning Natsu being the Dragon Child.
Grandine saying to Igneel that he's always getting into trouble (referring to Natsu)
Natsu and Gajeel not being able to pass the 80 year old restriction made by Friede.
Natsu knowing Wendy's name but not remembering her from anywhere.
The prophecy about the 3 DS made by Porlyusca.
Guildartz stating something about Natsu being the Dragon Child and then implying that someday he too will become a Dragon.
Zeref knowing Natsu when he's supposed to be sealed for 400 years?

I'm not saying that what I wrote there is what truly happened, but some of those things might've happened.

Not an order order, but a group of friends, a guild of sorts with only them. Or they indeed belonged to an order that someone created and they were protecting someone.

It's much more plausible for me, than Zeref being Natsu's father.

Bigfoot187
October 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
Grandine saying to Igneel that he's always getting into trouble (referring to Natsu)
Natsu and Gajeel not being able to pass the 80 year old restriction made by Friede.
Guildartz stating something about Natsu being the Dragon Child and then implying that someday he too will become a Dragon.

I'm not saying that what I wrote there is what truly happened, but some of those things might've happened.

Not an order order, but a group of friends, a guild of sorts with only them. Or they indeed belonged to an order that someone created and they were protecting someone.

Yeah ofcourse he calls him the dragon child, caus he was raised bij Igneel.
Yeah, ok so Natsu has been getting in trouble since he was a kid so Grandine probably refers to that.
Yeah that 80 year barrier, ya do have a point there but I thought that was maybe becuz of their ancient magic
since we saw Natsu as a child grow up so he would have been frozen in time or reincarnated as a child.
Yeah and Natsu knowing wendy's name is still a mystery, maybe he heard it from Igneel or something.

And BTW Gildarts wasn;t implying that Natsu would be a dragon someday,
he was talking about that the dragin was to strong for a human, but maybe a dragon can defeat it referring to Natsu because he is a dragonslayer with the power of a dragon.

And Zeref knowing natsu, well yeah could also be just that he heard a lot about the salamander (caus he's probably the most well known DS there) and hoped that the power of a dragonslayer could stop him.

Hmm sooo Zeref would be or an old team mate of Natsu or just an old enemy...

hmm well gues we just have to wait for it :)

llamapie
October 20, 2011, 06:40 AM
Yeah ofcourse he calls him the dragon child, caus he was raised bij Igneel.
Yeah, ok so Natsu has been getting in trouble since he was a kid so Grandine probably refers to that.
Yeah that 80 year barrier, ya do have a point there but I thought that was maybe becuz of their ancient magic
since we saw Natsu as a child grow up so he would have been frozen in time or reincarnated as a child.
Yeah and Natsu knowing wendy's name is still a mystery, maybe he heard it from Igneel or something.

And BTW Gildarts wasn;t implying that Natsu would be a dragon someday,
he was talking about that the dragin was to strong for a human, but maybe a dragon can defeat it referring to Natsu because he is a dragonslayer with the power of a dragon.

And Zeref knowing natsu, well yeah could also be just that he heard a lot about the salamander (caus he's probably the most well known DS there) and hoped that the power of a dragonslayer could stop him.

Hmm sooo Zeref would be or an old team mate of Natsu or just an old enemy...

hmm well gues we just have to wait for it :)

So Zeref summoning a dragon wasn't evidence enough to you that he is a DS? Come on man. Whether you like it or not thats the road Mashima is taking with his story. Natsu and the other DS are clearly ancient and the fact they magically all appeared at the same time their dragon's disappeared should be evidence of this. The details of exactly what happened aren't there but its clear to me they're all ancient and they all knew each other 400 years ago.

Natsu was probably at one point capable of taking on Zeref, but a reawakening process probably took place. I imagine it was all the DS who sealed Zeref to begin with at the cost of their powers for hundreds of years possibly and their memories. Nothing else explains why Zeref appears so young now either. Its also pretty clear to me that Zeref is also much weaker than he used to be, considering ultear gave him trouble where gray basically took her out alone. If Zeref is as powerful as he is renowned to be there would have been no chance for ultear to stop him.

sarutobi_sensei
October 20, 2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah right, hearing Natsu's name and the things he did would make him cry when he saw him? Honestly? :\

He's either an old team mate, or an old enemy, or both!

He was implying something about Natsu becoming one day a dragon. And lets face it, it might happen and Mashima has done it before on Rave.

Little spoiler,
Let was a member of the Dragon Race and he could become a Dragon (though it was irreversible).

Quantized
October 24, 2011, 04:44 PM
I was just wondering the other day, why was Zeref sooo focussed on Natsu.
I was thinking how can he know Natsu, what can be their relation.

Then it hit me what if Zeref was Natsu's father!
He does kinda look like him, but you would probably say he is too young. Well for an old
super mage he looks too young anyway, so maybe this wasn't the first fairy sphere he witnessed.

Also I think he may be the black dragon slayer Zeref. Seemingly his main power is when he has less regard for life people around him die, but isn't that the same he said about the dragon, he has no regard for human lives, caus he sees them as just pests. Would be a fitting power for a acknologia dragon slayer. (also caus it doesn't have an element)

soooo because of his black dragonslayer magic he could not be around other people anymore and became lonely and depressed just walking the earth for eternity.
But before that he had a son, and he I don't know somehow dropped him of with a dragon.
Well who would be able to kill him, have enough power, another dragonslayer, one who has the same magical lineage as himself maybe.

well maybe I'm totally wrong or myabe I'm part right, I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts about it :)

Parts of it is a really nice theory and I like it.
But it has some problems though, Natsu was picked up by his dragon upon abandoned and alone, it would be crazy coincidence if Zeref was his father and he attempted to make him a dragon slayer. But possible, nevertheless, just a crazy coincidence and I really don't like those in stories unless they got really, really, really, Really good background story as for why and it seemed planned by the author, given foreshadows one may not have picked up. One Piece, the author Oda, is extremely good to make careless hints and foreshadows in the past of the manga which then like 300 chapters later becomes meaningful and gives you a AHA feeling, for a shounen manga, I find him really good with these small tricks (: If this theory is true, I expecting nothing less from Mashima as well.

But your theory on Zeref himself seems really interesting, it might be true, imho (:

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Also thinking about it, it's true that Natsu might be way over 80 years old. Zeref also seems to have "age issues" staying young like that.

There really is more to dragon slayers than meets the eye, they're not all about copying abilities, they seem to have some dragon essence them selves.

I don't know about the other dragon slayers, but suddenly I got a hunch that Natsu is like a phoenix, when old he's reborn, and becomes a new person but with the same soul and basic personality.
It may be that Natsu was never abandoned to begin with, that his dragon came to his aid when he went through the burning and was reborn from the ashes...

Ok, this is a bit far fetched, but had to get some thoughts out on paper, so to speak (:
Though I like the idea, but it's not fitting to the story or matching dragons very good.

Bigfoot187
October 25, 2011, 07:52 AM
Yeah right, hearing Natsu's name and the things he did would make him cry when he saw him? Honestly? :\

He's either an old team mate, or an old enemy, or both!

He was implying something about Natsu becoming one day a dragon. And lets face it, it might happen and Mashima has done it before on Rave.

Little spoiler,
Let was a member of the Dragon Race and he could become a Dragon (though it was irreversible).

Uhm, when did they ever imply that Natsu would one day become a dragon?

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

So Zeref summoning a dragon wasn't evidence enough to you that he is a DS? Come on man. Whether you like it or not thats the road Mashima is taking with his story. Natsu and the other DS are clearly ancient and the fact they magically all appeared at the same time their dragon's disappeared should be evidence of this. The details of exactly what happened aren't there but its clear to me they're all ancient and they all knew each other 400 years ago.

Natsu was probably at one point capable of taking on Zeref, but a reawakening process probably took place. I imagine it was all the DS who sealed Zeref to begin with at the cost of their powers for hundreds of years possibly and their memories. Nothing else explains why Zeref appears so young now either. Its also pretty clear to me that Zeref is also much weaker than he used to be, considering ultear gave him trouble where gray basically took her out alone. If Zeref is as powerful as he is renowned to be there would have been no chance for ultear to stop him.

Well I don't think Zeref (@least purposely) summoned the dragon, since he didn't deem to happy with the dragon coming. Maybe its like his death power and when his regard for life comes to its lowest the dragon appears or something.

I agree with the part of natsu en the other DS might be somehow older then they look/are.
But it could have also been a reference to their magic power being ancient.
Like I said we'll just have to see where the story will go. Caus we ain't writing it.

thedarkoneaox
October 27, 2011, 07:10 AM
Cez, partly you came to the same idea I did... Zeref is that dragon child another dragon slayer... Notice how we kept hearing about Zeref but nothing really added up, he was one of the darkest wizards of all time, yet he didnt have any loyal followers just a bunch of dark guilds around that wanted to try and be like him. It was also lead to believe that he was dead but never really said who was strong enough to kill him, and why it would take the dragons to keep him dead. What connection would he have to the dragons? Why would they feel the need to after 400 years to jump up and seal him or protect the seals/keys after training human kids. Makes no sense. Also a few things Zeref himself stated bring light on the subject of him being the Apocalypse dragonslayer. http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/75979972/4 to page seven. Within those statements it seems that even when he stopped just looking down on human life like the Apocalypse dragon does, his body still destroys everything around it. I believe that apart from being the black dragon slayer he worked with the other dragons to prevent Acnologia from returning until Natsu was able to kill him which would play as a better method to keep it from returning. Something to me says that he started off normal, came in contact with the dragon, was raised just like natsu, ect but with the views of the Acnologia. Im not certain that Im reading it right because I think it page 6 is where he's stating that master hades also faced him, but if that is true as long as their magical power is strong and not used up they can live a long time. And being the fact he eats everything around him due to the Black Dragon slayer magic, he's like a solar/wind/electric powered rechargable battery making him stay young forever.

sarutobi_sensei
October 27, 2011, 03:47 PM
Uhm, when did they ever imply that Natsu would one day become a dragon?

Guildartz said something that implied this. Trying to find the page. But it was either after his exam or before Edolas.

Cez, partly you came to the same idea I did... Zeref is that dragon child another dragon slayer... Notice how we kept hearing about Zeref but nothing really added up, he was one of the darkest wizards of all time, yet he didnt have any loyal followers just a bunch of dark guilds around that wanted to try and be like him. It was also lead to believe that he was dead but never really said who was strong enough to kill him, and why it would take the dragons to keep him dead. What connection would he have to the dragons? Why would they feel the need to after 400 years to jump up and seal him or protect the seals/keys after training human kids. Makes no sense. Also a few things Zeref himself stated bring light on the subject of him being the Apocalypse dragonslayer. http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/75979972/4 to page seven. Within those statements it seems that even when he stopped just looking down on human life like the Apocalypse dragon does, his body still destroys everything around it. I believe that apart from being the black dragon slayer he worked with the other dragons to prevent Acnologia from returning until Natsu was able to kill him which would play as a better method to keep it from returning. Something to me says that he started off normal, came in contact with the dragon, was raised just like natsu, ect but with the views of the Acnologia. Im not certain that Im reading it right because I think it page 6 is where he's stating that master hades also faced him, but if that is true as long as their magical power is strong and not used up they can live a long time. And being the fact he eats everything around him due to the Black Dragon slayer magic, he's like a solar/wind/electric powered rechargable battery making him stay young forever.
How would Natsu have killed him if Zeref said that Natsu still couldn't break him? :\

thedarkoneaox
October 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
How would Natsu have killed him if Zeref said that Natsu still couldn't break him? :\
That part of the story is still playing itself out, Zeref also said that this was the end of this era, and also started talking like Natsu was dead. He never once confirmed it, just automatically though that since Acnologia attacked everyone was finished. Even Carla assumed the worse from her visions. I can assume that the reason why Igneel gave Natsu the scarf was not just for warmth but also like a ward, like a failsafe just in case those 2 met and Natsu wasnt ready or Zeref changed his mind/went back to his old ways... Future will tell but we will see more progress between the 2 real soon...

RaveDragon
October 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
I think its plausible Zeref is a relative of Natsu though not father since we know Natsu is probably older than 80 id say he's in a way like zeref and theyre actually siblings. The dragons are connected to these to and possibly Layla (due to the death date and we might know more about her this arc) hence Lucy as well. I was thinking Zeref, Layla and Natsu and the other ds where part of some event 400 years ago and the dragons met them at the time...

Ifrit
October 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
I think its plausible Zeref is a relative of Natsu though not father since we know Natsu is probably older than 80 id say he's in a way like zeref and theyre actually siblings. The dragons are connected to these to and possibly Layla (due to the death date and we might know more about her this arc) hence Lucy as well. I was thinking Zeref, Layla and Natsu and the other ds where part of some event 400 years ago and the dragons met them at the time...

I don't think Layla fit in the 400 years thing...

I don't think it will go this far " Zeref being Natsu father" more likely Zeref wasn't a villain and in some point he turned evil....

btw was it mentioned how Natsu got the scar on his neck ?

RaveDragon
October 28, 2011, 02:18 PM

I don't think it will go this far " Zeref being Natsu father" more likely Zeref wasn't a villain and in some point he turned evil....

Well she did look wise for a 16 year old and quite young as a 28 year old, just a theory she might have been a friend of zerefs like natsu was and then something happened turned zeref bad and circumstances which lead zeref to repent led the 3 and the other ds to this era ^^ for all we know Judo might not even be Lucy's real father but thats going to far i guess

father lolz no...brother could fit though

No but I bet its important and might be in his first fight with the Zman
I said sibling

sarutobi_sensei
October 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
Well the answer to that is with the spirits I guess. Both Caprico and Leo seem to know more than what they're letting out regarding Lucy and Layla.

RaveDragon
October 29, 2011, 02:43 AM
Well the answer to that is with the spirits I guess. Both Caprico and Leo seem to know more than what they're letting out regarding Lucy and Layla.

Yeah I don't think Lucy even knows her mother was a mage to be honest she never said she thought her anything she said bero that old instructor did :/ Leo seemed to be hiding it ^^'

oniichan powaa
January 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
I get it! Natsu and Zeref must be Twins! lol
No, that can't be because they don't look alike. I guess that these two must've met each other in previous life or something like this:

Zeref: I am you, from another dimension.
Natsu: I've already met my 'other' self in another dimension. You're not me. Liar!
Zeref: But I am from another dimension than that. In that dimension, I was (you are) married to Lucy.
Natsu: What!? Get the hell outta...
Zeref: By the way, we had five children.
And Happy is our pet cat.
Natsu: !!?
Happy: !!?
:derp

Shinobuden
February 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
Hiro Mashima has already stated that Natsu is not over 80 years old, so what he says goes. The only plausible theory for not being able to pass the runes is his Dragon Slayer magic which is a Lost Magic. The same goes for Gajeel. That and it's been shown that Natsu ages normally like any other human. So I highly doubt he, Gajeel, Wendy or any other Dragon Slayer is over 400 years old.

There is no doubt there's some kind of connection between the two however, since Zeref knew who Natsu was instantly and Natsu having no idea who Zeref was at the time.

REN KOUEN
February 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
could it be possible that natsu is the reincarnation of someone ? someone legendary like zeref only on the good side?

liductan
February 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Could it, should it, can it? and.....anything is possible..

REN KOUEN
February 21, 2012, 01:01 AM
i do have a feeling zeref is going to have something to do with why natsu was an orpha. being raised by igneel

and perhaps something to do with why the dragons RUNNOFT

Ifrit
February 21, 2012, 03:21 PM
I think Mashima will go with the Father and Son relationship ....

This is why Natsu can't remember anything about Zeref.

Also I think that Igneel is fully aware about the fact that Natsu is Zeref son, and he recognize Natsus power, and that he's the only one that can defeat Zeref, because they both have same blood running in their veins.

REN KOUEN
February 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
one thing that kind of dissapoints me about fairy tail is that natsu doesnt appear to be actually increasing his power level or strength

like when he fought jellal he ate the lacrima

when he fought the "god slayer" guy on the island he ate up those weird flames, when he fought hades he ate some of laxus's lighting

i mean when is natsu going to step up and beat a boss type character, of fight one based on the strength he has built or some new badass ability

i mean he did beat laxus somewhat on the roof in that arc, but he hasnt really gotten progressively stronger as fairytail has gone along, perhaps this latest thing that ultear did when they were training may make him a good bit stronger

but back on topic

i agree with ifirit that it seems they could be related in some way if not father son maybe a distant relative as zeref either appears to have been ancient or reincarnated

the fact that he was found on fairy tails sacred island also leads one to wonder about their relation

i assume mavis knows a GOOD BIT about zeref

MONKEYS
February 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
Hiro Mashima has already stated that Natsu is not over 80 years old, so what he says goes.

Not that I'm doubting you or anything, but could you (or anyone else who reads this) provide a link to the interview that includes that statement (or wherever it was).

. could it be possible that natsu is the reincarnation of someone ? someone legendary like zeref only on the good side?

Damn, that would be cool.

Also, expanding on that theory, maybe Zeref is the same, but he forced himself into a younger body when his current one wore out, and the new body's soul is (was) fighting Zeref's malice, thus creating the emo Zeref we know and love. Soon enough, however, Zeref will be back to normal (evil) again.

Logosgr
March 17, 2012, 09:49 AM

Well to begin with IT IS NOT ZEREF WHO SUMMONED ACNOLOGIA. If it has been him he would possibly had no regrets. Secondly the dragon was summoned by THE FACT that zeref lost the value of life he achieved(so not zeref himself or to make it clear it is not something that he actively did). Second if you are speaking of the shield that saved them keeping them inactive for 7 years it's Mavis(1st FT master and creator of the guild) doing. Now as of how Zeref could be his father since he lives for 400 years(thats the years he is considered lost, which means even older) its so stupid to say he is too young to be since he does not realy die... Zeref was never sealed. He ran to tenroujima and hid there away from any human so that he wont lose the value of life he achieved ever again(the most possible guess we can make). So he is SO young without being sealed. That means he just do not dies. Now if we believe the theory that was made above about being a black dragon slayer using something like death magic it could realy be combined with my theory of him being some kind of immortal or at least being unable to die by aging. To end this post . ZEREF HAS NO AGE ISSUES :). The most clear guess we have is that he does not age since he LIVES(NOT SEALED) over 400 years.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

That part of the story is still playing itself out, Zeref also said that this was the end of this era, and also started talking like Natsu was dead. He never once confirmed it, just automatically though that since Acnologia attacked everyone was finished. Even Carla assumed the worse from her visions. I can assume that the reason why Igneel gave Natsu the scarf was not just for warmth but also like a ward, like a failsafe just in case those 2 met and Natsu wasnt ready or Zeref changed his mind/went back to his old ways... Future will tell but we will see more progress between the 2 real soon...

Well the thing with the scarf is not a guess... IT A FACT! Scard already saved him once against the death aura of Zeref. If you recall the Scarf went pure black and their master had Wendy to cleanse/purify it.

shinsengumi
March 17, 2012, 10:06 AM
i agree with the black dragon slayer part but not the father and son relationship

solomon585858
March 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
Zeref is a DS who was raised and teached by Acnologia
Natsu lineage is very special comparing to others. That's why Zeref is sure than Natsu is only one to be able to stop him. Possibly Natsu and Zeref are like Ying and Yang. Darkness and Light itself. Possibly Natsu is the artificial human created by dragons for only one purpose - to stop Zeref.

souka
April 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
i disagree that natsu is an artificial human... for the main character to be found as "artificial" so late in the series in kind of sad. there hasnt been any hint at all of any artificial humans in the series so far.

i also disagree that zeref is a DS. then why doesn't anyone summon dragons. why doesn't he use dragon slayer magic. i'm sure he can summon other stuff from his "dark book of spells" (?) like those rock golems or whatever, does that mean he's a golem slayer? although he said the dragon was summoned by the malice present at the time, it is unclear to me whether the dragon came because of zeref or not.

i do agree with natsu being the descendant of some one or relative to zeref. just a gut feeling. though i have no evidence.

Kauia
April 06, 2012, 08:42 PM
I don't think Natsu's a descendant of Zeref. I'd say its the relationship they had in the past. Maybe Natsu was a dragon back then or dragon slayer. Whatever took place years ago, I get the impression that Zeref might be different from what he was shown to be in Tenroujima arc. 400 years ago, I get the impression that Zeref might have no value for life. You could say he's a down right badass villain who may think of humans the same as Acknologia did. There is the high probablility that it's Natsu that made him realize the importance of life. The two must've been in equal strength. The only thing clear is that it didn't end with a solution. Zeref went where there's no person there. He basically hid himself.

Natsu and the other dragon slayers were probably reborn as humans. Maybe 400 years ago, the dragon slayers themselves don't have good relationships as stated by the conversation between Grandeen and Igneel. Every Dragon slayer must have their own beliefs. Maybe Natsu's was completely different from the others.

darkundertaker2013
April 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
Honestly no. His brother or cousin? Maybe. His father? Lol no way. I'm not buying it even if Mashima tells it.

Imo, they met 400 years ago. Or even more time ago. They were part of the same order, a group of people who used the Dragon powers. Zeref most likely was tempted by something, or was really power hungry to become like what he was described. His friends, seeing what he was doing decided to make him stop, but the only one that could actually go toe to toe with him, was Natsu. Someone, most likely an ancestor of Lucy (hence the connection with Layla and probably even more of her ancestors) had some sort of power to stop Zeref, but Acnologia tried to kill that person.

Natsu wanting to protect that person decided to sacrifice his life in order to protect her.

Wendy used all her powers in order to bring back Natsu to life but the only thing that she could do was return him to a child or egg form of some sort using the dragons powers. Same with the other members of the order. Zeref touched by this decided to change and never kill again, but because of the nature of his powers he couldn't stay near people.

Acnologia angry with this swore some kind of revenge or something.

The other thing that could've happened is, Zeref changed because of Nirvana, but not only because of that, because Natsu and the other DS sacrificed themselves or used all of their power in order to stop Zeref for the sufficient time in order for him to change. After learning of what his close friends did, especially Natsu, he decided to change. The DS returned to their base egg forms or something and were frozen in space and time, kinda like how it happened now, until it was time they awoke.

i can actually agree to that. its close to the discussion when i looked this up in the past but it was on maplestory. they were also talking about natsu and the other dragons being from the past and stuff. so you're close to the mark

FairyTail
April 28, 2012, 03:15 AM

I made an account to this website to reply to this.

Watch the Fairy Tail OVA's on Youtube. Natsu gave himself the Scar, when fighting with Gray. Natsu went back in time, to when natsu and gray were young. Gray won the fight and older natsu got pissed, went down to his former self and shook him up a bit and accidently gave him the scar. LOL

Ifrit
April 28, 2012, 03:38 AM
I made an account to this website to reply to this.

Watch the Fairy Tail OVA's on Youtube. Natsu gave himself the Scar, when fighting with Gray. Natsu went back in time, to when natsu and gray were young. Gray won the fight and older natsu got pissed, went down to his former self and shook him up a bit and accidently gave him the scar. LOL

hahahaha. Yeah I know, but when I posted that it was before the OVA. Which was disappointment to me, because I was hoping this scar would have deeper story or meaning than this, but now I'm 100% sure that Natsu is a complete idiot.

Kauia
April 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
Even though the scar was something Natsu did to himself, didn't the end show that there was still deep meaning to the scar other than the fact that he gave it to himself?

Ifrit
April 28, 2012, 02:17 PM
Even though the scar was something Natsu did to himself, didn't the end show that there was still deep meaning to the scar other than the fact that he gave it to himself?

mmm..yeah I guess, but..:-_-

I was hoping it was caused in a past time. When he fought Zeref before or something like this.

Kauia
April 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Too bad for us. I, too was expecting for more. It just itches us to know what really happened in the past.

NAM61
May 01, 2012, 06:50 PM
didn't natsus dragon also have the scar and the anime just added something untrue

SerpentTailedAngel
June 21, 2012, 02:56 AM
Natsu's dragon did also have the scar. The story behind Natsu's scar is never even hinted at in the manga, but the story for the OVA was co-written by Mashima and I doubt he'd have let a whole story that wasn't correct be animated if he had other plans for it.

shiyaera
September 17, 2012, 04:40 AM

yeah, it mentioned. It's on FAIRYTAIL OVA 3

tyzzmonkey
December 02, 2012, 06:53 PM

its simple really the person who sealed Zeref away chose Natsu to be the next dragon child with future seeing magic maybe. when Zeref was sealed he was told the only person who will be able to destroy you is the dragon child his name is Natsu. Natsu is the dragon child because he can do what other dragon slayers cannot; he can eat other elements and he absorbs the elements to boost his fire magic without dangerous side-effects. Hopefully when and if they make the final bit this will become clear. (note they left it on a big cliff hanger Romeo waiting on the port somethings gotta happen Zeref's dragon is still flying about) :mono also Zeref most likely was given those powers unwillingly like a curse from birth ordeal which would make sence why he wants to die so badly he hurt and killed those he cared most about....

d3adz0n3
March 29, 2013, 11:15 PM

Bro, Dragon slayer magic is an ancient art. If you guys want to get technical about everything then here's my response.
Anything relating to him being a dragon (dragon child), obviously bro. He was a human raised by a dragon, henceforth the dragons child.
Natsu and Gajeel are both using ancient magic (dragon slayer magic). The 80 year old restriction field may have not allowed them passage because in this show your magic is virtually covering your body, because the magic is so old they could not pass through.
Porlyusicas prophecy is only about three dragon slayers joining the guild. Those three were most likely Natsu, Gajeel, and Wendy. Her prophecy was nothing special.
If you got far enough in the manga or anime, you would know about dragon force which changess their skin to scales basically, and increases their power to that of a dragons or beyond. And finally, there is something called rumors bro. Zeref probably just heard stories of natus power and thought that he was his key to salvation, fairy tail was all over the newspaper in their anime bro.

seraphi1
August 10, 2013, 05:30 PM
I looked throuh the newer manga chapters and itnlooks as if they were the founders of the fairy tail guild so that was one of the reasons why zeref was on tenroujima but. I dont get how natsu fits in because it shows maevis and zeref and a 3rd who shows up later in the manga so zeref maevis and the 3rd person were the people who started the fairy tail guild. well thats how I see it buts its only my opinion

Vala Ghost
August 31, 2013, 10:19 PM
What some people seem to be forgetting is that Zeref cannot just know Natsu because of rumors, when he first sees Natsu during the S class test he says "Natsu, you've grown" implying that he knew Natsu when he was younger. His words hear fit perfectly with the idea that Zeref is his father, which I think would be interesting, although there are still a number of different meanings and a number of different ways Natsu and Zeref can be related. If it is true that Natsu was alive 400 years ago and became reincarnated or lost his memories, then Zeref could mean that Natsu has grown in power since they last saw each other.

I believe that some key details will be revealed during the time of the Dragon King festival, mentioned by Grandeeney earlier in the series. I looked it up and the festival is supposed to be the gathering of the dragons and their king (or dragons, humans and demons) , that may have started because of the war against dragons. Apparently, the Grand Magic Games were also once called the Dragon King festival so the the time of the Games probably corresponds with the original festival, though since that has already happened I'm assuming that sometime after the next arc or so the Dragon King Festival will occur--but that's slightly off topic.

So, in short I feel that some important things will be revealed soon, though I don't think it will be the relationship between Natsu and Zeref just yet. I do hope that it will the father-son relationship, but you never now, there are some very good ideas on this thread.

Merac89
April 12, 2014, 10:23 AM
This is my theory...Most of it not based on much facts, basically just what I think might happen..and wouldnt be all that bad..

I believe that Natsu is the END demon, and that he was created by Zeref...And sometime in that time Igneel fought END, prob but up a good fight, but wasnt able to defeat him. Zeref and Acno one and the same, but split up. However Zeref didnt get completely "good" after the split. Zeref then split the evil parts of Natsu up, maybe into the 9 demon gates? Understanding that END is the only thing that can stop Acno/Zeref. Anyways, Zeref and Igneel agrees that its impossible for Natsu to grow up in this era and end up being a good guy. So they send him into the future using the gate. And Igneel raises him.

I might not have been very clear in my explanation but, for those of you who did understand that...Thumps up!