PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Who's going to win the election?

THM Nindo
October 18, 2011, 03:49 PM
So, this arc seems to revolve around the election of the new chairman.
So, who do you think will win?

We know that the 2nd turn will only include the first 16th.
Here are the results: http://www.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/320/15

So the 18 candidates are the following:

Parriston (Rat)
Cheadl (Dog)
Ickshonpay
Botobai (dragon)
Mizaistom (ox)
Saccho (horse)
Ginta (sheep)
Morau (smoking pipe dude from the Insect arc)
Piyon (rabbit)
Kurukku (chicken)
Cutie
Sanbika
Teradin
Bushidora
Ging (boar, Gon's father)
Rinne
Tzezguerra (a 1-star hunter from the greed island arc) (see: http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Tsezguerra)
Bisquet (Biscuit, the lil girl that trained Gon and Killua?)

Some names have different spelling, so it's hard to see if we know them or not.
For example, I'm not sure if Bisquet is actually Biscuit (the lil girl that trained Gon and Killua).

EDIT:
I think that since they never got to 95% of the vote, everyone can still be elected.
Meaning that the "final list" I made will change.
When we know who really are the 16 finalists, I'll update it and we will be able to recast our votes.

Parriston 627.27%
Cheadl 522.73%
Morau 14.55%
Teradin 14.55%
Ging 418.18%
Bisquet 522.73%

22 votes

Antaries
October 18, 2011, 03:54 PM
I will take a wild guess and say the monkey.

zelllogan
October 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
In the end, I hope it will be Biscuit. Even if the chances are low, I think she would be a great president because she is strong, a good teacher, charismatic in a weird way, experimented, not evil & nuts: all the required qualities are there

Ustegius
October 18, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hard to say really. We hardly know the Zodiac, or many other nominees either. Based on personal favorites, I'd like the winner to be Morau or Biscuit. Both imo worthy candidates. Slightly leaning towards Biscuit being better for the job.

Parriston won't win. Or he could. But he is clearly set as the antagonist here. Ominous figure with seemingly overwhelming advantage. The one to be beaten. Not really sure what to make out him. He seems cool and has support, but seems fishy as hell also. We just have to wait and see who rise to be top contenders. Looking the first round results the ones standing out after Parriston are Cheadl and Ickshonpay. Who is Ickshonpay anyway? Maybe we'll get an introduction later. Or maybe he will be our cat, as refferring to the Zodiac.

As a wild card I throw in Ginta. Hisoka ranked him high, but also he somehow reminds me of the old chubby demon who ended up as the king of Demon World in Yu Yu Hakusho. Togashi has been more or less recycling more or less modified characer types and desings from YYH. And bit by bit I'm starting to like the character more.

But I really hope for Biscuit or Morau to stand up. Or then a totally cool new character.

Phantron
October 18, 2011, 04:54 PM
Actually Gin said his rules isn't there to change the outcome, so I think he already knows Pariston is still going to win. He's just going to force him into some kind of bargain. So my vote is Pariston.

Tombadgerlock
October 18, 2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Biscuit could do it.

She has the necessary Strength, though she isn't quite on Netero's level either. She also is old enough, experienced enough, utterly unflappable and plain cool.

Phantron
October 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
The Hunter's Association will turn into some kind of gathering of pretty boys akin to Shojo manga if Biscuit won the election.

Pariston might get even more power than he currently does right now. Hisoka would be in good shape too.

Uriel
October 18, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'll throw a wild card and say Teradin. Why? Don't know, seems a simple name in the same line as Netero. And I always think names are half the need to be anything. :P

Also It's far away from the top list which I seriously think they are the most obvious choice and therefore the most unlikely.

mrsticky005
October 21, 2011, 01:36 AM
I say Pariston wins in the short term (becomes evil corrupt chairman who leads the HxH association down a dark and dreary path until he is defeated) but the eventually good Chairman who will succeed Pariston is...

GREEN BEAN!

kkck
October 21, 2011, 02:02 AM
I think it will be the dragon guy. He is the older one which I would think implies he was the closest one to netero and he does have a presidential feel to him. Dog does not seem very presidential IMO. She is definitely smart but that alone is not enough to lead an organization of the 661 strongest in the world. Ging would win if he wanted to be president IMO though. I also get the impression ging did not show up at the last meeting to get some dirt on pariston. He does not necessarily want pariston to lose but destroying certainly of his victory to make it fair to others would be something he would do IMO.

THM Nindo
October 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
It seems that everyone is still in the election, since they could still vote for Gon and Killua, etc.
So, until they get 95%, they will not trim the list to the top 16, and everyone will remain available for the election.

So that means that the list we have right now in the poll is not the right one.

Until they get 95%, we won't know who are the 16 "finalists".
I'll update the list when we know for sure, and we will be able to vote again.

------------

Anyway, here's the summary of the vote changes for the current top 16:

Parriston +2
Cheadle +4
Icksonpay +2
Botobai +10
Mizaitom +6
Sacchou +1
Ginta -13 (Gave his votes)
Morau +0
Piyon -11 (Gave her votes)
Kurukku -11 (Gave her votes)
Cutie +0
Sanbika +0
Teradin +1
Bushidora +2
Ging -7 (Gave his votes?)
Rinne +2
Biscuit +2
Tsezguerra +1
Loppe +4
Nov +1
Kanzai +2

So, Ginta, Piyon and Kurukku are all manipulated their votes.
But to whom did their vote go? We saw an increase to Botobai and Mizaitom, but not enough compared to the total of votes those three had (11+11+13).

And Ging is also completely gone from the votes, meaning that he is probably manipulating his vote somehow too...
But to whom is he giving his votes?

Uriel
October 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
Maybe they're dispersing the votes so Pariston don't know how they're betting for until they reach the 95%. So that means they probably are betting for someone who is in the top 16 already.

kkck
October 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
The problem is that they still have not gotten to the top 16 thing, every hunter is still a candidate. Now, I would argue this are the stronger hunters we have seen in the association up until now:

Zodiac
Examiners
Bisk
Morel and novu

Based on what we know it would make sense the winner is among them. They are bound to be the more accomplished and respected hunters and the ones bound to get more support. Kaite is strong but right now he literally is a little girl, given that she is an ant there should be at least a few months until she becomes a high level hunter again.

Ging has made it clear he does not want to win so I doubt he will become president. Even if he does he is likely to resign. He wants to succeed the will of the chairman which means he will act to make sure someone who lives up to that wins or at the very least he will support someone who does. In this regard it would make sense he would work to stop pariston from winning as he is a bit of a polar opposite to netero. Ging will most likely work to fairly take away pariston's support base IMO.

Now, the problem is that we know of no candidate that could possibly keep netero's will alive other than ging. The zodiac are not individualistic enough for such a thing IMO. They have common sense to spare so to speak. Based on all of this I have two ideas: Ging wins but runs off and delegates each and every task to the zodiac or botosai wins. Dragon seems the only actual presidential candidate and given his apparent age it would make the most sense he was the closest to netero.

Uriel
October 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
I actually think because there isn't still the 95% o the votes the Zodiacs are currently dispersing the votes on purpose. They made an strategy looking the trend and they're acting according to that. When the 95% is reached, they will focus those votes in the candidate they think it has more chances.

Morel is also a good choice. I want to know how the other top Hunters look like!
I doubt Gin will win, if you ask me.

THM Nindo
November 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
Well, here's the update between the last poll and the new one.
Seems like pretty much everyone on the top is growing at the same rate.

Parriston 258 (+7)
Cheadle 49 (+3)
Icksonpay 31 (+3)
Botobai 28 (+4)
Mizaitom 27 (+3)
Morau 18 (+5)
Teradin 17 (+7)
Sacchou 15 (+0)
Sanbika 14 (+4)
Bushidora 14 (+4)
Loppe 11 (+2)
Cutie 10 (+0)
Rinne 10 (+2)
Biscuit 10 (+2)
Tsezguerra 9 (+2)
Nov 6 (+0)
Kanzai 6 (+0)

---------- Post added November 18, 2011 at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was November 04, 2011 at 11:43 AM ----------

Wow! Quite a development this week!
And we finally got over 95%, which means that now we know the 16 finalists:

I'll ask the Mods to change the poll to only include those 16, so that we can really vote on whose going to win now.

Here's the list of those 16 and their current standing:

Parriston 258 (+0)
Cheadle 57 (+8)
Leorio 55 (+55)
Botobai 31 (+3)
Mizaistom 27 (+0)
Ickshonpay 26 (-5)
Teradin 21 (+4)
Morau 20 (+2)
Saccho 15 (+0)
Biscuit 14 (+4)
Sanbika 13 (-1)
Rinne 13 (+3)
Loupe 12 (+1)
Bushidora 12 (-2)
Cutie 10 (+0)
Ging 8 (+8)

Uriel
November 18, 2011, 11:47 AM
Poll renewed since now we have at least the 16 participants as Ging rules estimates. "Other" option added by thread owner, ask him why He decided to put that as well :P

In my case, I stick with my instinct.

zelllogan
November 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'm still rooting for Biscuit. She has been awfully quiet since the beginning of this election. I don't know if she will win but at some point, I expect her to have some importance.

Ustegius
November 18, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hmm, as much as I like Leorio, he isn't someone I'd choose as a chairman. However, he has potential. But I liked really the interaction between him and Morau. So, calm, collected, smart and influencial Morau could refine the the sharp edges of Leorio a little. So what I wish for, is Leorio winning with Moraus support, naming him as the vice chairman. Or alternatively Morau winning, with the electin promise, that he will take Leorio as his vice/apprentice, to train him to be his follower.

No really basis why that would or should happen. I just like the idea. Leorio is definetly and interesting wild card as of now. But I wish some other TOP16 hunters would also get some spotlight. Step up and campaing for themselves. Not too many of them though, I'd like the election to finnish some day too.

(Btw, feel free to copy the signature and spread some Leorio support :amuse)

THM Nindo
November 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hmm, as much as I like Leorio, he isn't someone I'd choose as a chairman. However, he has potential. But I liked really the interaction between him and Morau. So, calm, collected, smart and influencial Morau could refine the the sharp edges of Leorio a little. So what I wish for, is Leorio winning with Moraus support, naming him as the vice chairman. Or alternatively Morau winning, with the electin promise, that he will take Leorio as his vice/apprentice, to train him to be his follower.

No really basis why that would or should happen. I just like the idea. Leorio is definetly and interesting wild card as of now. But I wish some other TOP16 hunters would also get some spotlight. Step up and campaing for themselves. Not too many of them though, I'd like the election to finnish some day too.

(Btw, feel free to copy the signature and spread some Leorio support :amuse)

I agree with you.
As much as I like Leorio, I don't think he would be a good chairman.

For one, he's far too weak to be one, as far as we know.
And also, if he's the chairman, he won't be able to do what he wants, he'll be stuck in that role...

I think that he might do pretty well, and might actually manipulate things in the election, but he won't win...
Although, that would be pretty cool! :tem

Phantron
November 18, 2011, 01:29 PM
I don't see why even Netero was a good chairman unless the ability to melt faces better than anyone else automatically makes you a good chairman. It's supposed to be an administrative role. Yes the Hunters do a lot of fighting but clearly the chairman can't possibly go beat up everyone they may have to face. There's nothing to suggest Netero would be an adminstrative/political wiz either. The Zodiac was probably created to help him deal with the more mundane aspect of being a chairman. Of course Leorio lacks political/administrative talent too, but he can just appoint someone who has those talents as vice chairman and spends his time in his private office with the girls of Zodiac. Someone like Chidol, Morel, or even Mr. Beans appear to be quite capable of running all the political/bureaucratic aspect of the association. If strength is that important for being a chairman, they should have had a martial arts tournment determine the winner, not an election.

Goral
November 18, 2011, 01:48 PM
Who's Teradin?

I'm voting again on Chidl since currently she's the only viable candidate that has a chance of winning. Biscuit was never a good candidate IMO, she might be a good teacher but a chairman? Not really. Leorio probably wouldn't be the best chairman if only for the fact he's too much of a good guy and to lead people you sometimes need to be a prick. Kurapica though, who is mysteriously missing could become a real black horse.

Phantron
November 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
Chidol is the only person who would make a good chairman based on (political) ability not including Pariston. I really got the feeling the next chairman is just going to be someone with a good vision but otherwise spends time partying in his office with girls or something like that, while someone like Chidol does all the grunt work.

Uriel
November 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
Who's Teradin?
No one we know, but I like his name.

:D

THM Nindo
November 19, 2011, 01:10 AM
I had to think for a long time before finally picking my choice.
I finally picked Morau.

The reason why is that he seems to be a great leader and he's already somewhat important in the story.

I also kinda eliminated everyone for various reasons:
- Parriston is clearly the bad guy here; we know he's most likely the cause of those hunters disappearing
- Cheadle just doesn't cut it for me... She's totally boring and that won't work for a chairman... she could be a great vice-chairman, though...
- Leorio winning would be funny and awesome, but really I can't see how that would happen. He's just not cut for the job and I don't see him behind a desk for the rest of the manga...
- None of the other zodiacs strike me as a potential winner... Maybe the Dragon guy a bit, because he seems to have a lot of experience, but really, I don't think one of them will win...
- I cannot see someone that wasn't introduced yet as the winner (ex: Ickshonpay or Teradin). Unless they are introduce next chapter, there's no way that a nobody will win.
- Biscuit would be a funny choice as well. It would be hilarious and she could somewhat do the job, I think... But, still very unlikely.
- Ging could potentially win, but I don't thin he will, simply because he would be too easy to find if he's the chairman. He needs to be hard to fin otherwise Gon will go straight to him and his "search" will be over too soon... And he doesn't look like he wants the job anyway...

Goral
November 19, 2011, 02:36 AM
I was thinking that maybe Kurapica was using a fake name so that Genei Ryodan wouldn't know he was one of the candidates but that wouldn't make sense for various reasons. Firstly, because no one would know him he wouldn't get much votes besides hunters that would vote randomly. Secondly because I believe a candidate must use his real name. Thirdly, because I doubt he would even want to twin and attract attention. Still there is a very small chance that:

these two will turn out to be people we know - hopefully not because Togashi would be making a plot-twist for the sake of plot-twists and it wouldn't make sense (see: Code Geass for example)
these two will turn out to be people we heard before or are connected to the story some other way by being affiliated with main characters - that could work I think, there must be someone who was mentioned but we haven't seen or some Zoldyck living outside of the mountain or maybe Netero's/Hisoka's brother/sister/son/daughter

kkck
November 20, 2011, 12:25 AM
Dunno but for me botosai seems like the best choice. He is the only one that has a presidential feel to him IMO. He is the only one that seems to have seniority among the zodiac given what pariston said.

Gin does not want the job, he merely wants things to go his way. He does not want to influence the result by cheating the election as far as we know but he is willing to take action so that things do go his way. Can't be sure on whether he planned the leorio thing though.

Phantron
November 20, 2011, 12:48 AM
Dunno but for me botosai seems like the best choice. He is the only one that has a presidential feel to him IMO. He is the only one that seems to have seniority among the zodiac given what pariston said.

Gin does not want the job, he merely wants things to go his way. He does not want to influence the result by cheating the election as far as we know but he is willing to take action so that things do go his way. Can't be sure on whether he planned the leorio thing though.

There can only be one person in any group of people that have the most seniorty. Botosai sure looks like he has seen a lot, and not counting Pariston, he looks like a pretty strong candidate.

THM Nindo
November 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
@Uriel

Still voting for Teradin? :tem

Uriel
November 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
Absolutely. He's NEUTRAL and He's a Head Hunter. It's an old man and searches for talented people. More appropriate is almost impossible :P

THM Nindo
November 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
I had some time to waste, so I thought of doing a post presenting every one of the 16 candidates for the Chairman position...

1st Position
Pariston
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Pariston-1.jpg

2nd position
Cheadle
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Cheadle-1.jpg

3rd position
Leorio
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Leorio.jpg

4th position
Botobai
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Botobai.jpg

5th position
Mizaistom
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Mizaistom.jpg

6th position
Ickshonpay
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Ickshonpay.jpg

7th position
Teradin
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Teradin.jpg

8th position
Morau
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Morau.jpg

9th position
Saccho
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Saccho.jpg

10th position
Biscuit
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Biscuit.jpg

11th position
St.Bika
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/StBika.jpg

11th position
Rinne
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Rinne.jpg

13th position
Lupe
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Lupe.jpg

13th position
Bushidora
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Bushidora.jpg

15th position
Cutie
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Cutie.jpg

16th position
Ging
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/thehomemade/Ging.jpg

Host Samurai
November 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
I bet my money on Morau too. He really is a suitable candidate of becoming Chairman, who gets the job done like he said last chapter. And his students probably don't need his guidance anymore. Since he survived mankinds biggest threat, while he wasn't in a perfect condition. I'm pretty sure that he'll overcome the issues of being the Chairman of Hunter Association.

Phantron
November 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
I bet my money on Morau too. He really is a suitable candidate of becoming Chairman, who gets the job done like he said last chapter. And his students probably don't need his guidance anymore. Since he survived mankinds biggest threat, while he wasn't in a perfect condition. I'm pretty sure that he'll overcome the issues of being the Chairman of Hunter Association.

The problem with Morel is when does he gets his triple star, since he started out as a single. I assume they didn't say 'he could become a triple star' and then the answer turn out 'oops guess that wasn't enough'. But there's still a timing issue. Right now he's still only a single star and probably don't have the fame to convince the random guys to join him. If he gets his promotion before the next round that'd help him greatly. I don't think he's well-known at this point to go deep against the field.

kkck
November 25, 2011, 06:00 PM
Well, based on the last chapter I have to go for two people. Either botobai or teradin neutral.

Botobai is the man closest to the chairman and if there is any merit to his description box he is likely the strongest hunter in the association. He has a presidential feel to him to say the least.

Teradin seems like a good candidate too. If he is any good at spotting talent them perhaps it would make sense to make him president, the association could become that much more efficient at admitting specially talented people who could lose their chance to becoming hunters for purely circumstantial reasons. If there is any merit to his box description, he is the one that could make the most good to the organization, more so that chidol and perhaps botobai.

fevrier
November 26, 2011, 03:28 AM
Off the Teradin comments, I'm definitely interested in him now we see his mini-bio about reforming the selection process... The Hunter exam always struck me as a somewhat random, not to mention unconscionably brutal. There must be some political repercussions to letting candidates murder each other without consequences, even if the Hunter organization has enough firepower no one wants to mess with it. Still, the fights and survival games have a lot of luck involved, and there's not much focus on non-combat special talents.

However, Teradin looks very Hollywood agent-esque, so I'm a little afraid his reforms might mean turning the exam into some sort of TV idol spectacle, some sort of publicity stunt that puts more emphasis on popularity. That's just speculation based on his character design, tho.

THM Nindo
November 27, 2011, 09:42 AM
Now that everyone was shown, do you think we will see them all in the manga.
It would be interesting to have some of them doing a campain, trying to get vote, etc.

Right now, it seems more likely that next week (or the one after), we will get the new results and half of them will be gone before we even got the chance to see them :(

I would like to see the election process, with people trying to win votes by any meaning, trash talking the others, etc...
At some point, we will have to go deeper anyway, 'cause Pariston's role in the disappearance of the hunters will certainly be revealed before the end of the elections...

Reach
November 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
I don't know about Teradin. He seems like a typical politician who promises good things during the pre-election. Then when the elections are over, his agendas radically change or fails to keep his promise.

As much as I'd like Morau or Biscuit to win, they're up against more known characters with greater political influence.

I still see Leorio as comical relief for the election.

I feel that an underdog will win nonetheless. That's just how Togashi does things ;D

Uriel
November 27, 2011, 11:28 AM
I actually see Pariston as the Politician and Teradin as the old gentleman. Don't know why, but I imagine him being the most nice and polite old man. After all discovering talents is something that you do humbly.

ashher
December 13, 2011, 01:32 PM
From the point of view of making the plot interesting, my choices would be no president or pariston or leorio.

Phantron
December 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
Teradin seems like a guy with a good idea but not necessarily how to implement them. How will you change the Hunter test to weed out people like Ilumi? He pretty much behaved throughout the contest. Is he going to run a background check on everyone? Put in a test to judge character, perhaps something like the first part of Naruto's equivalent exam? But really you think someone like Ilumi can't figure out if you've a scenario where you got to make an unreasonable sacrifice that the purpose of the contest is to see who would make that sacrifice?

I'm sure if he wins the election he'll do what he claims to do, but it's not clear to me how anything will actually change since he's basically proposing somehow knowing the true nature of everyone who's at the test.

THM Nindo
December 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
From the point of view of making the plot interesting, my choices would be no president or pariston or leorio.

Yeah, I regret not putting the choice "No chairman" in the poll.

Especially after the last chapter where it was said that Teradin, Lupe and Bushidora were are all part of a faction "for getting rid of the position of chairman".

http://www.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/328/19

So, technically, if any of those three wins, they might get rid of the position of chairman...

Phantron
December 13, 2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I regret not putting the choice "No chairman" in the poll.

Especially after the last chapter where it was said that Teradin, Lupe and Bushidora were are all part of a faction "for getting rid of the position of chairman".

http://www.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/328/19

So, technically, if any of those three wins, they might get rid of the position of chairman...

There's a discussion in the chapter threads but I think the 'no chairman' is a poor choice. Looking at the word used they're more like the 'out there' faction and the 'no chairman' is close to 'nowhere near the belief of chairman' as opposed to 'nobody should be chairman'. If they don't want to be chairman, why are they running for it? Norton doesn't want to be the chairman and she declared she doesn't want people to vote for her.

Uriel
December 13, 2011, 08:18 PM
Teradin seems like a guy with a good idea but not necessarily how to implement them. How will you change the Hunter test to weed out people like Ilumi? He pretty much behaved throughout the contest. Is he going to run a background check on everyone? Put in a test to judge character, perhaps something like the first part of Naruto's equivalent exam? But really you think someone like Ilumi can't figure out if you've a scenario where you got to make an unreasonable sacrifice that the purpose of the contest is to see who would make that sacrifice?
He's a Head Hunter. I'm sure He does have some talent in finding and judging people.

Tame
December 13, 2011, 08:29 PM
If they don't want to be chairman, why are they running for it?

Every Hunter was a candidate, and therefore "running" for president. If they want reform, then being in charge is the best way to do that. If they're as selfless as they purport to be, then this would include the removal of the position of chairmen.

Phantron
December 13, 2011, 08:38 PM
Every Hunter was a candidate, and therefore "running" for president. If they want reform, then being in charge is the best way to do that. If they're as selfless as they purport to be, then this would include the removal of the position of chairmen.

If you've to be chairman to pitch a 'no chairman' position that kind of defeats your position in the first place.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

He's a Head Hunter. I'm sure He does have some talent in finding and judging people.

You'd literally have to have an extensive background check on every one who applied to the Hunter exam because otherwise it might be too late by the time the exam starts. Even if you try to restrict to only promising candidates the number of those guys is still staggering. Of course he probably has ideas. But finding 'good people' for Hunter is like looking for world peace. It'll never quite work like that, especially when you consider there's a lot of people who only become a Hunter because of the benefits.

Tame
December 13, 2011, 08:52 PM
If you've to be chairman to pitch a 'no chairman' position that kind of defeats your position in the first place.

Yep, but if it's the easiest/only way to do it successfully...

kkck
December 13, 2011, 09:28 PM
I would think there are plenty of ways to weed out people like illumi or hisoka from the exam. Say, if you do something which could potentially hurt a candidate then you are disqualified (hisoka would not have even been in the exam we saw if that was there). A background check would easily point out murderers and lunatics. I guess adding a few rules so that examiners could disqualify people based on their own opinion of whether they are dangerous to others would be a good idea but it would indeed need to be implemented carefully and with a number of restrictions. Adding a psychological test (not as a part of the actual exam though) would be extremely helpful. Overall the faction that makes the most sense winning is teradin's considering he does have a good cause in mind, does not seem secretly evil and has some support.

Phantron
December 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
I would think there are plenty of ways to weed out people like illumi or hisoka from the exam. Say, if you do something which could potentially hurt a candidate then you are disqualified (hisoka would not have even been in the exam we saw if that was there). A background check would easily point out murderers and lunatics. I guess adding a few rules so that examiners could disqualify people based on their own opinion of whether they are dangerous to others would be a good idea but it would indeed need to be implemented carefully and with a number of restrictions. Adding a psychological test (not as a part of the actual exam though) would be extremely helpful. Overall the faction that makes the most sense winning is teradin's considering he does have a good cause in mind, does not seem secretly evil and has some support.

Not saying it can't be done, but it looks like there are a lot of people are in the Hunter's Association for various dubious reason to begin with. Sure you can have stricter tests, run harder background checks or whatever, but in the end the Hunter's Association didn't attract those dubious characters overnight. I'm sure he will make good on his promise but I think it'd be like trying to catch people dodging taxes or speeding. Sure he'll get some of them but it's something you can spend a lot of effort without much to show because people can just behave extra carefully while on the test, assuming the Association still retains its prestiege as the #1 organization in the world.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Actually, if HXH was real, Teradin is probably the best to vote, because if HXH was real then you'd presumably know all the guys who ran for the chairman before promised big things but still just funnel privilege to the top, or got bogged down by bureaucratic stuff/infighting. While Teradin's ideals might not be obtainable he seems like a good guy who will at least try to do what he promised, compared to the other guys who promise big things but most likely will not make good on their promises.

But since it's almost certain whoever wins the election in HXH will actually change the Association in a significant way instead of just being 'another chairman', Teradin's prospects don't seem too great, because the winner of this election seems to be someone who will either do really good things or really mess it up.

Uriel
December 13, 2011, 11:27 PM
Background check? Come on, killers are really EASY to discover. And may I remind you that third test followed guys around. That's a great way to see who is proper or not.

kkck
December 14, 2011, 02:17 AM
Well, even in real life people fail psychological tests which should be easy to fool by merely faking normality. Companies have their own means to assess which job applicants are most suited for a job. Obviously, no such method has a 100% success rate however they do make a HUGE difference. Illumi and hisoka are perhaps extreme examples but I would argue that either of them would have been fairly easy to rule out of being a hunter had they implemented stricter rules. Shalnark would perhaps be an example of someone who would pass the exam is spite being a murderer though. Heck, this is a manga where people can feel auras, it really should not be easy for an examiner to spot a dangerous person.

Uriel
December 14, 2011, 07:35 AM
It's better doing a psychological test than none at all. And even if you background check, would you think that Killua did not deserved to be a Hunter just because He's a Zoldyck?

THM Nindo
December 16, 2011, 09:51 AM
Well, now we know that Bushidora is out, since he seemingly got killed by Hisoka.
For a moment there, I really thought that Teradin had a shot at winning, but it seems like Lupe and him are about to get killed as well.

The simply fact that Morau was still in the top 4 (even though they will have to do the vote again), makes me strongly believe that I was right on my first choice : Morau is going to win.

kkck
December 16, 2011, 11:29 AM
It's better doing a psychological test than none at all. And even if you background check, would you think that Killua did not deserved to be a Hunter just because He's a Zoldyck?

Well, killia was not an actual physopath for the most part. Still, if the organization had better means to screen out people then it would make sense for him to not be allowed to be a hunter, he even killed 2 people for no reason during the exam he did not pass(its not quite the fact that he is a zoldyck, its the fact that he killed people).

Uriel
December 16, 2011, 07:33 PM
If Teradin dies I'll be a sad panda. And if that happens, my bet goes to Leorio.

THM Nindo
December 17, 2011, 12:21 PM
If Teradin dies I'll be a sad panda. And if that happens, my bet goes to Leorio.

Maybe everyone will die except Leorio, making him the only remaining candidate! :tem

Host Samurai
December 17, 2011, 06:24 PM
Shouldn't we take out the names of the candidates, who didn't advance in the next round? And in addition we could write the names of the users on the first page, who voted for candidate xy this way we can see, who was right at the end of the election. It's just a random thought of mine. :D

THM Nindo
December 18, 2011, 03:08 AM
Shouldn't we take out the names of the candidates, who didn't advance in the next round? And in addition we could write the names of the users on the first page, who voted for candidate xy this way we can see, who was right at the end of the election. It's just a random thought of mine. :D

We could.
People could vote again.

But, would we be doing that for each round?
In the end, when there's only 2 candidates left, half of the people will be right...

It's much funnier to keep it the way it is, and see who was right from the very start, no?

Uriel
December 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
I prefer to not make a new poll, but it's your call after all.

I like the wild guess thing, makes things more interesting.

THM Nindo
December 19, 2011, 10:51 AM
I prefer to not make a new poll, but it's your call after all.

I like the wild guess thing, makes things more interesting.

Yeah, I agree.
I find the wild guess more fun.

Goral
December 19, 2011, 12:53 PM
Well, there was one reset earlier and if results were shown in a post they wouldn't disappear but it doesn't matter to me which you decide. I'm still sticking to Cheadle/Chidol, she's been awfully passive this whole time (at least it seems that way) and I can't believe that one of the favorites would just let others act without doing anything herself. At least I hope so. The "no-chairman" option is unlikely IMO even though it's hard to think about anyone even remotely as powerful and charismatic as Netero among the candidates.

Besides, someone has to have a final word and even Teradain who says that he wants to get rid off chairman title is actually the boss (like Netero), Lupe is 2nd in command (Parriston) and Bushidora was for like a minute his "general" (something that Zodiacs were I think). I don't see how's that any different from the old ways. Netero made Parriston his number one precisely because he knew he would have a different opinion most of the time, different perspective and unique insight. Here it was worse since the choice of the staff was based by using people of THE SAME opinions (or similar at least). How could anyone think it would be better that way?

ErosVp
December 22, 2011, 01:16 PM
I think until 8 choices is still fun! Since we knew almost none of those candidates better if there is a bit less! Only one more time!!!!

THM Nindo
December 22, 2011, 02:19 PM
Maybe we should have a poll and vote to decide if we should have new poll or not!? :tem

Host Samurai
December 24, 2011, 08:40 AM
We could.
People could vote again.

But, would we be doing that for each round?
In the end, when there's only 2 candidates left, half of the people will be right...

It's much funnier to keep it the way it is, and see who was right from the very start, no?

I think until 8 choices is still fun! Since we knew almost none of those candidates better if there is a bit less! Only one more time!!!!

Until the next round, I guess. Let's do it just like Ging predicted with the last 8 candidates. This way, we still have enough characters to keep guessing and maintain the fun in the thread as well. :D

Maybe we should have a poll and vote to decide if we should have new poll or not!? :tem

Nah, we don't for that another poll.:p

THM Nindo
December 24, 2011, 08:01 PM
Alright, we can do another poll with the 8 remaining candidates.

Let's just make sure that we keep track of the original choices!

mrsticky005
December 26, 2011, 01:28 PM
remaining 4 candidates now

Pariston
Leorio
Cheadle
Mizaistom

ErosVp
December 26, 2011, 01:42 PM
It looks like Pariston will really win... but I'm still rooting for Mizaistom or Leorio...

Uriel
December 26, 2011, 02:37 PM
Damn, my candidate is out.

Please, use spoilers due the 24hs rule or I'll be forced to delete the posts.

Googlez_kun
December 26, 2011, 10:47 PM
The only reason why I think Leorio will win is because I don't see what he would have been introduced for.Just to end up losing?Sounds kinda lame.But that's Togashi we're talking about,so absolutely anything could happen.

ErosVp
December 27, 2011, 03:53 AM
I voted for Leorio, but thinking rationally., Leorio is a rookie, is not involved with politics, and is not strong enough, as we've seen with teradin, strengh is needed for a hunter in a high position, nobody wants a chairman that can die easily.

I'm starting to think it wouldn't be so bad if Pariston win, it is cool and realistic if a villain win once in a while, especially if the villain is charismatic. Plus we don't know why he is a villain in first place, we don't know if he would do something bad to the association...

Sachsenhesse
December 27, 2011, 06:47 AM
i dont see a problem with leorio winning the election at all

right now every "old"hunter until now, begged for votes and got owned, only 2 exceptions i count: cheadle and pariston but i doesnt seems that the old hunters can aquire something useful.... teradin and that "commander"guy got killed offscreen etc. on the other side two "new"hunters are owning that hunters in combat... ilumi and hisoka

so why not go with the new generation? killuah and gon already made a name for themselves with the chimera ants and leorio ist the "hope" of the newest hunters

anyway my prediction: the hunter association brakes apart. completly. and thew new arc will be to rebuild it maybe in the search of "ging".

THM Nindo
December 27, 2011, 11:25 AM
I'm starting to think that Mizaistom will be the one to win...
I just don't like Cheadle, and I can't see Parriston or Leorio winning...

And it is said that Mizaistom is the "conscience" of the Zodiack.

Host Samurai
December 27, 2011, 04:54 PM
I voted for Leorio, but thinking rationally., Leorio is a rookie, is not involved with politics, and is not strong enough, as we've seen with teradin, strengh is needed for a hunter in a high position, nobody wants a chairman that can die easily.

I'm starting to think it wouldn't be so bad if Pariston win, it is cool and realistic if a villain win once in a while, especially if the villain is charismatic. Plus we don't know why he is a villain in first place, we don't know if he would do something bad to the association...

I know what you mean realistically speaking Leorio wouldn't be able to protect himself, if he wins and Pariston wants to get rid of him with his schemes. But on the other hand it would make it 'personal' for Gon due to Leorio being his friend. So this scenario is also something that I'd like to see and the Pariston one too. So I'll be waiting patiently for this Arcs conclusion, which will be soon.

THM Nindo
January 09, 2012, 11:40 PM
So most likely, later this week, we will know who will win or, at least, we will be left with only two candidates.
Anyone else wants to make a bet on who's going to win? :tem

Uriel
January 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Now that Teradin is out of the equation I would say that Pariston should win :P

Goral
January 11, 2012, 09:49 AM
Heh, looks like I was either super close or spot on (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/73127-Who-s-going-to-win-the-election?p=2711796&viewfull=1#post2711796). I've been voting on Cheadle from the start (even in the first poll, the current one was reset) because she seemed the most reasonable candidate and because the rest was too random(besides Parriston and Ging of course). :teehee

junjun2
January 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
I still have hope of Morau's win. He is very balanced and deserving of the chairman.

Uriel
January 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
I still have hope of Morau's win. He is very balanced and deserving of the chairman.
But How He will do? I mean...He's out the candidates already.

THM Nindo
January 19, 2012, 09:19 PM
The way the last chapter was build, there's no doubt that whatever Parriston will do next will reveal a big twist.

Since this chapter was so much about everyone siding with Leorio, I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a twist to have Parriston win somehow...

Either that, or Parriston will also asked for everyone to vote for Leorio.

Uriel
January 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Well...every damn chapter is a twist in HxH. Now it will be a twist to not make a twist. :O

Twistception.

junjun2
January 20, 2012, 01:59 AM
But How He will do? I mean...He's out the candidates already.

If someone of the top 4 candidates is excluded for any reason, like being killed, the ranking of other candidates under him or her will go up. But because Teradain who was ranked 5th in the 7th election is dead, Morau can be 4th.

mrsticky005
January 20, 2012, 06:08 AM
I wanted Pariston to win but from the looks of it Leorio will probably win.

and I think Pariston is fine with that.

Host Samurai
January 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
I wanted Pariston to win but from the looks of it Leorio will probably win.

and I think Pariston is fine with that.

That's not the impression that I got from him. He wasn't smiling when Cheadle turned the tables because he didn't anticipate her move at all. That's why I think that he will show his true nature really soon and that will make the election more interesting.

mrsticky005
January 21, 2012, 09:10 PM
That's not the impression that I got from him. He wasn't smiling when Cheadle turned the tables because he didn't anticipate her move at all. That's why I think that he will show his true nature really soon and that will make the election more interesting.

Yes but he's smiling confidently when he's about to give his speech.
He doesn't look the least bit worried and that could be because
he doesn't actually care who wins probably because he has bigger plans.

Tame
January 25, 2012, 11:48 AM
From Ging's conversation with Cheadle, I got the impression that Pariston doesn't care much about being Chairman, but he does care about winning the election. The election is fun to him, and winning will bring him the most satisfaction. That's just speculation, of course, and I could be proved wrong at any minute.

Host Samurai
January 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
Yes but he's smiling confidently when he's about to give his speech.
He doesn't look the least bit worried and that could be because
he doesn't actually care who wins probably because he has bigger plans.

That could also be his pokerface. :3c
I personally think that he is about to get a little more serious due to him getting way too comfortable with his decisive advantage. Let's wait for the chapter and see for ourselves, how Pariston is going to resolve this matter.

junjun2
January 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
LOL so finally it goes on to the last election. My hope for Morau disappeared?? Nooo.
If Leorio wins, he will resign his chairman post soon and restart an election again!

Phantron
January 26, 2012, 04:25 AM
Pariston obviously has a good poker face, but like Chidol pointed out, you can still read the difference between him smiling and not smiling. You won't see him looking worried but anything that's enough to make him stop smiling means he's at least feeling pressure. Remember, he was always smiling even when confronting Gin, so the fact that he stopped smiling indicates the Chidol's plan, at least initially, put a lot of pressure on him.

junjun2
January 26, 2012, 05:35 AM
I don't think it's poker face, his smile is just his natural expression. I mean he is a real good guy. Anti-Pariston groups put pressure on him for no reason and no evidence but for allergy and prejudice.

Uriel
January 26, 2012, 07:02 AM
I don't think is his pokerface or his natural expression, but He's genuinely smiling because HE KNOWS how to do this shit.

~Andrew~
January 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
You know what my very first thought's were when "It"'s power was felt by every skilled hunter? I thought about Leorio's speech and then I wished he had said a little bit more instead of speaking about Gon's recovery. Something like ...I don't know random things which the audience wants to hear, because now Pariston will reveal that Gon's healed and the sole reason Leorio wanted to be Chairman is out of the window. Would've Leorio said something else he could talk his way out of this situation.

Even though this election is crazy as fu**, I'm rather interested/worried about Gon's condition and Illumi's next steps, because he scared the shit out of me. It looks like he turns into a crazy maniac O_o While the family rules always provided some kind of safety for Kil and Gon, but now he talked about "useful tool when tamed" and that isn't good.
He's about to break rules if he really want to have "It" "No matter what/AT ANY COSTS", because he has to fight seriously against Kil and Co. in order to capture Alluka. Considering that if he talks ever again of Alluka as a tool Illumi wouldn't be Kil's brother anymore, one would think he should let things go (Killuah said this to Illumi).

But in his eyes he would save Killuah and lessen his pain with control needles...well, I'm also worried of the "H"-word...you know...Hi...*cough*atus*cough*, Togashi could leave us alone for half a year with an unbelievable cliffhanger °___°
Sorry, I'm in fanboy-mode right now, so excuse me.

Sea Hunter
January 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
Nope not a poker face i think Pariston really knows what he's doing. His smile only disappeared for a panel and it's right back up again, show he's an unbelievably good tactician.
Pariston for best villain next year :hip

Phantron
January 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Leorio is obviously grossly underqualified to be the chairman in terms of experience. If he talked about anythng other than Gon's recovery, it'd simply reveal his lack of experience and make his position look worse. It's not like he's going to reveal a great vision to improve the Hunter's Association.

mrsticky005
January 26, 2012, 06:28 PM
I don't think is his pokerface or his natural expression, but He's genuinely smiling because HE KNOWS how to do this shit.

Agree.

Pariston may have been surprised by Cheadle telling everyone to vote for Leorio
but I don't think he was stumped. He just wasn't expecting Cheadle to act that way
since he probably thought Cheadle wanted to win the election herself or perhaps
even have people vote for Ox.

Captain Sicarius
January 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
Pariston obviously, or we won't get a darn cool plot for the next arc, or in the future...

~Andrew~
January 27, 2012, 03:12 AM
Leorio is obviously grossly underqualified to be the chairman in terms of experience. If he talked about anythng other than Gon's recovery, it'd simply reveal his lack of experience and make his position look worse. It's not like he's going to reveal a great vision to improve the Hunter's Association.

Lol Of course he's undergualified. xD But the one's supporting him could've talked about this matter and so on...they would've had a "CHANCE", but now they're pretty much doomed.
And Leorio's lack of ...pretty much anything in terms of being a chairman will make him look like an idiot when Pariston reveals Gon's healthy.
I could imagine Leorio just running to the hospital right after hearing about Gon's condition and not caring one bit about the elction anymore. That would be Pariston's epic win and the others are left without votes, because Leorio just leaves the whole Association for a personal matter. Something like this could be said about him.

I guess I'll wait and see what Togashi prepared for us next week. :]

Phantron
January 27, 2012, 04:22 AM
Lol Of course he's undergualified. xD But the one's supporting him could've talked about this matter and so on...they would've had a "CHANCE", but now they're pretty much doomed.
And Leorio's lack of ...pretty much anything in terms of being a chairman will make him look like an idiot when Pariston reveals Gon's healthy.
I could imagine Leorio just running to the hospital right after hearing about Gon's condition and not caring one bit about the elction anymore. That would be Pariston's epic win and the others are left without votes, because Leorio just leaves the whole Association for a personal matter. Something like this could be said about him.

I guess I'll wait and see what Togashi prepared for us next week. :]

Leorio basically is running on a 'save my friend' slogan. But obviously he has no experience to back it up. He doesn't even know how to save his friend. It'd be like if I run for president on a slogan like 'no more taxes' and maybe people thought that's awesome and support me, but if I actually have to talk about how that can possibly work out, of course I'd end up looking like a fool. Leorio probably doesn't even know what sub organizations are in the Hunter's Association right now, let alone being able to come up with a cohesive plan to lead the organization. The only thing Leorio might be able to talk about is say he wants a world where expensive medical surgeries can be done for free, but like he already knows, that kind of stuff is basically crazy talk because you need crazy amount of money to pull it off.

~Andrew~
January 27, 2012, 08:02 AM
Leorio basically is running on a 'save my friend' slogan. But obviously he has no experience to back it up. He doesn't even know how to save his friend. It'd be like if I run for president on a slogan like 'no more taxes' and maybe people thought that's awesome and support me, but if I actually have to talk about how that can possibly work out, of course I'd end up looking like a fool. Leorio probably doesn't even know what sub organizations are in the Hunter's Association right now, let alone being able to come up with a cohesive plan to lead the organization. The only thing Leorio might be able to talk about is say he wants a world where expensive medical surgeries can be done for free, but like he already knows, that kind of stuff is basically crazy talk because you need crazy amount of money to pull it off.

Yeah, thats right.

If he becomes the Chairman then he'll be a mere marionette and Cheadle (and Co.) would be the supporter/the one pulling the strings.

I still guess that my prediction is good, because Leorio's reaction after hearing about Gon's regeneration is obvious at this point.

He's very impulsive and he doesn't even care about the relationship eachother has in the Zodiac Twelve nor does he know about it (Or like you said: "Leorio probably doesn't even know what sub organizations are in the Hunter's Association right now, let alone being able to come up with a cohesive plan to lead the organization") . And running away Leorio would leave an Election in progress with Pariston in charge, again.

That's my point. And that's what most people are thinking anyway, right?
Pariston will win, if no one has a trump card to play.
And me saying Leorio is/will be looking like a fool doesn't imply that I see him as such, but rather that Pariston will make one out of him. Just in case someone got it wrong (because of what I said in my last posting). :]

I think that's it or did I miss something?

Phantron
January 27, 2012, 02:03 PM
Actualy even if Leorio talks about whatever he knows about politics and end up looking like a fool, it might not even be that important. It's kind of like how people said Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize for being 'Not Bush'. Obviously most people are voting for him just because he's not Pariston and not a Zodiac (Teradin's faction is anti-Zodiac). He's not going to impress anyone on the politics end, but I really doubt people are voting for him because they actually think Leorio will be anything more than a puppet.

Pariston talked about how one of the quality should be 'is this someone you can trust?' Of course you can trust Leorio. The worst that can possibly happen is he gets in some sexual scandals with women. People obviously don't trust Pariston, and a lot of people don't even trust the Zodiac. But you can certainly trust Leorio because it's clear he doesn't have any ulterior motives.

mrsticky005
January 28, 2012, 03:26 AM

Speaking of the "save my friend" slogan...

Why do so many people seem to care about Gon's health? Ok, I mean I know Gon was popular in his Hunter Exam and for the most part he seems generally
liked. But I don't think Gon has actually met all 600+ hunters or even close to it. Maybe 100 hunters but not 600. So why do voters care if Gon gets better?
I mean sure it's a noble cause but then why just Gon? Why must all that resources go to one kid who might not even make it instead of many kids who
WOULD make it if they had money for the right treatment. So Gon would have to be rather important to all those Hunters voting for Leorio.
Was Gon always this important or did perhaps he gain popularity majorly after fighting the Chimera Ants?

Phantron
January 28, 2012, 03:45 AM
Speaking of the "save my friend" slogan...

Why do so many people seem to care about Gon's health? Ok, I mean I know Gon was popular in his Hunter Exam and for the most part he seems generally
liked. But I don't think Gon has actually met all 600+ hunters or even close to it. Maybe 100 hunters but not 600. So why do voters care if Gon gets better?
I mean sure it's a noble cause but then why just Gon? Why must all that resources go to one kid who might not even make it instead of many kids who
WOULD make it if they had money for the right treatment. So Gon would have to be rather important to all those Hunters voting for Leorio.
Was Gon always this important or did perhaps he gain popularity majorly after fighting the Chimera Ants?

Have you seen those stories about say a child with a terminal disease wishes to meet say, a famous athlete? Why should the famous athlete care that a dying child wants to meet him? Why should you care this dying child got his wish? Yet they show stuff like that on TV because people clearly do care even though you presumably have absolutely no idea who the child is. It's one of those feel good stories that people can rally behind. It's similar to how people tend to root for the underdog. If a candidate for presidency got shot but recovered, people usually rally behind that guy. Why should you care that a candidate got shot? It's not like getting shot improves his ability to lead (in fact it can only worsen it), but people support that guy because there's some human tendency to support the underdog.

It's not the fact that Gon is a celebrity amongst the Hunter world (all of Gon's friends would probably vote for Leorio just knowing he's a close friend anyway) that gets him support.

Uriel
January 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
The thing here is not saving or not saving Gon, but that Leorio proved that He had the needed attitude. He did not won the Hunters due pity, but for his ressolve to use HxH Association for whatever thing He need, the fact that He NEEDS every hunter to achieve that.

It's not the speech, it's the meaning that lies beyond that which made Leorio gain all those votes.

mrsticky005
January 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Have you seen those stories about say a child with a terminal disease wishes to meet say, a famous athlete? Why should the famous athlete care that a dying child wants to meet him? Why should you care this dying child got his wish? Yet they show stuff like that on TV because people clearly do care even though you presumably have absolutely no idea who the child is. It's one of those feel good stories that people can rally behind. It's similar to how people tend to root for the underdog. If a candidate for presidency got shot but recovered, people usually rally behind that guy. Why should you care that a candidate got shot? It's not like getting shot improves his ability to lead (in fact it can only worsen it), but people support that guy because there's some human tendency to support the underdog.

It's not the fact that Gon is a celebrity amongst the Hunter world (all of Gon's friends would probably vote for Leorio just knowing he's a close friend anyway) that gets him support.

I don't think your comparison works. With the athlete they use their own resources to visit the child with the terminal illness. In Leorio's case he's asking for help to heal Gon.
Leorio is basically admitting he can't save Gon on his own but that he needs help.
The athlete can help on their own. Leorio can't. Leorio needs help. Even the candidate
getting shot is a triumph story and against all odds. Leorio is just admitting defeat.

The only way I could see it working is that people just admire Leorio's honesty.

Phantron
January 29, 2012, 02:53 AM
I don't think your comparison works. With the athlete they use their own resources to visit the child with the terminal illness. In Leorio's case he's asking for help to heal Gon.
Leorio is basically admitting he can't save Gon on his own but that he needs help.
The athlete can help on their own. Leorio can't. Leorio needs help. Even the candidate
getting shot is a triumph story and against all odds. Leorio is just admitting defeat.

The only way I could see it working is that people just admire Leorio's honesty.

The Make-a-wish and similar stuff are all done by organizations. It's not like famous people just randomly read on the Internet to hear about someone who wants to see them before they die. There's clearly a bunch of people involved to make all this stuff happen. They obviously aren't doing it because they personally know the people involved, but rather they do it because it feels like the right thing to do.

mrsticky005
January 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
The Make-a-wish and similar stuff are all done by organizations. It's not like famous people just randomly read on the Internet to hear about someone who wants to see them before they die. There's clearly a bunch of people involved to make all this stuff happen. They obviously aren't doing it because they personally know the people involved, but rather they do it because it feels like the right thing to do.

Either that or it is good publicity. Though I do imagine some are sincerely just trying to help.

It's like this. If Presidential Candidate X had an entire campaign of "When I become President I will use all my resources to save random child with cancer." I don't
think they would get very far. Sure, saving a random child with cancer is a noble cause
but you don't need to be president to do that nor will being president necessarily do that.
Besides, many children have cancer why just that one? Or what about kids with other
diseases? Plus if the Presidential Candidate X is solely concerned with saving a random
child with cancer he will slack off on other important areas---like national defense.
People may be stupid and easily moved but I don't think they are THAT stupid and
easily moved. I think the Presidential Candidate X would need to convince people
he had SOME level of competence and I think the same goes for the Hunter Association
Chairman.