PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Comedy in Beelzebub

Drmke
October 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
So while Beelzebub has had plenty of action in it (progressively more in the last year), it is a comedy about half the time. Personally, I really enjoyed the comedy in the earlier portions of the manga (before chapter 100 or so), but recently, the comedy seems more "forced" than it used to be. It also seems to be a bit more childish than before, granted it IS in a shonen magazine and it's not like a naked demon baby isn't childish...but I enjoyed it more. Maybe the charm of the series has worn off? Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Jammin
October 31, 2011, 07:35 PM
I think I would call it innocent rather than childish and I think that has been charmingly consistant.

Granted the plot has evolved from a gag manga type to more of a battle manga type; but i think that's out of narrative necessity. Most of the earlier comedy was based on the introduction of new characters and an author can't do that forever. Eventually he had to bring them all together into some form of coherent plot of the manga was going to continue to be good.

And I think thus far Ryūhei Tamura has done a very good job putting a purpose to all the craziness so that the craziness can continue without getting stale.

----------------------------------

I would add that I don't think the anime has managed to strike that same balance. There is a fine line between "hilariously insane" and "goofy"; and I think in adapting it TV they let it slip across that line too often.

lawlett-kun
October 31, 2011, 11:44 PM
comedy is very well done. Not tooo much comedy but we have enough of it. Not just Beel's comedy, for me Queen is sooo much more funny in her crush with Oga haha. Reminds me of Hancock from OP.

Black Hawk
November 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah i can agree with that. The case of the comedy can sometimes really harsh or some really good Gag´s. Special Beelzebub focus on two kind of jokes. Ones is the jokes with words, like Fruitpunch Quiz at beginning or speaking teasly over different Person. That best point anyone do it with anyone. Every charachtere got some jokes.
At least the picture comedy without any word, as a example . in the newest Chapter Toujou sleeps at a construction Building,
Furichi´s double or three mouth picture, appearness from transfar Demon Delon. A lot of them and that mix, show that Beelzebub is a gag Manga.

Also in the Fightchapters u can find most times one joke min.