PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Fairy Tail 259 Discussion / 260 Predictions

3c
November 06, 2011, 11:08 AM
This is where you can post and discuss the spoilers for the next chapter of Fairy Tail!

24 Hour Spoiler Rule:
Mangahelpers enforces a temporary blockade for discussion of new spoilers/chapters. This blockade ends 24 hours after raws are publicly released.
For series with a forum, please keep all discussion regarding the newest chapter and its content inside the spoiler/chapter discussions until 24 hours have passed after the raw/chapter's release.
Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars.
Please wait 24 hours before posting any art based on new chapters in the art and stories section.
The 24 hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a courtesy rule. Not every member reads spoilers and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released.
Spoiler Pics and Translations:
At Mangahelpers we only allow three manga pages to be posted directly as spoilers.
This rule is not judged based on the number of thumbnails but the number of pages pictured.
Please provide hyperlinks for any excess pages.
Please do not re-post already available spoiler pics or summaries.
International translations may be posted in the spoiler discussion thread. A moderator will add it with credit to the English translation in the spoiler pics and summaries thread.
Do not significantly edit your post after more posts have been made. Please make a new post if new spoilers are available.
For-Profit Download Links
If a for-profit download link is provided, we ask that a non-profit alternative is available in the same post.
Linking to another website with for-profit download links and no non-profit alternative also violates site rules.
Mangahelpers asks that members who may not be comfortable using sites that help turn a profit for pirated material have a choice.
Mediafire, Rapidshare, and Sendspace are all non-profit links. Providing any of these as a download link fulfills the non-profit alternative requirement.
*.usercash.*
*.linkbucks.*
*.tinyurl.*
*.anonym.to/*
*.xrl.us/*
*.realfiles.net*
*.sharecash.*
*.shorl.com/*
*.lix.in/*
*.pgi-shumen.info/*
*hotfile.com*
*letitbit.net*
*depositfiles.com*
*tiny.cc*
*uploading.com*
*ugotfile.com*
*depositt.blogspot.com*
*cashfiles.blog.com*
*snipurl.com*
*bit.ly*
*rayfile.com*
*storage.to*
*megaupload.com*
*share-links.biz*
*doiop.com*
*filefactory.com*
*missupload.com*
*enterupload.com*
*mangoshare.com*
Formatting:
We ask that proper format is followed to provide the maximum amount of information and best reading experience.
Example One:

Source: Mangahelpers (http://mangahelpers.com/)
Credits: Ohana

http://img204.imagevenue.com/loc81/th_539054661_01_122_81lo.jpg (http://img204.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=539054661_01_122_81lo.jpg)http://img273.imagevenue.com/loc110/th_539055410_841810_122_110lo.jpg (http://img273.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=539055410_841810_122_110lo.jpg)
http://img265.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=539055332_03_122_77lo.jpg

Example Two:

Source: Mangahelpers (http://mangahelpers.com/)
Credits: Ohana

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque pretium nunc et ante condimentum eget fermentum velit posuere.
Proin sollicitudin mollis augue sed semper.
Aenean eget lectus eget risus laoreet convallis id non massa. Cras non urna vitae neque imperdiet rhoncus.
Quisque luctus felis ultricies eros mollis pulvinar.

You can discuss the current chapter here (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/73407-Fairy-Tail-258-Discussion-259-Predictions) and find translations here (http://mangahelpers.com/m/fairy-tail/translations/).

Darjaille
November 11, 2011, 09:22 AM
The chapter is out!

sarutobi_sensei
November 11, 2011, 09:25 AM
I knew it!

Ever since the anime decided to give the same voice actor to grandine and porlyusca I thought about it happening.

Sure that Porlyusca hating humans almost not considering herself a human, made me think that she was in fact not human, but something else. And it turns out that she might be Grandine!

Woot!

Darjaille
November 11, 2011, 09:36 AM
First of all, I really didn't expect that Tenrou team will be THAT weak against others now. It may be kinda illogical, but I go with it since it's the best for the plot probably.
Second, the lightning fire dragon's roar? What the........? SO HE ACTUALLY CAN USE IT FOREVER? :o:o:o
Third of all, Gil :wub Excellent, it was funny, it was in character, lol XD And he took Laxus back!<3
Fourth of all, FT is going to participate in some kind of tournament, that's my prediction.
and fifth of all, Polyushka is Grandine? What!

It seems that Natsu & co. could be dragons in human bodies... If Polyushka can.
But I still don't think that's the case.

Great chapter... I'll wait for better translation and scan though :XD

Uriel
November 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
I doubt She is Grandine, but maybe and just maybe...She's a Dragon. Although She making the prophecy about the Dragons now makes total sense.

What if She was the previous Sky DS?

Ero-Sanji
November 11, 2011, 10:16 AM
Actually for her to be Grandine or connected to her, is quite logical. I mean Porlyuska is a healer and so is Wendy. Then we have the "hate all humans" thing and lastly the fact that she made a prophecy about the three DS.

Skyguardian
November 11, 2011, 10:33 AM
Early Chapter... Nice. Scanlation... Sucked... I'll reread mangastream's version when it's out... Even the title was wrong.

Max' magic is cool. He could've been useful earlier.

Porlyusica maybe beeingGrandine... I saw it coming but it is still pretty cool.

Gildartz was awesome nevertheless. It's just a bit sad everything stays the same way... No new S-Rank Mages... Same old master... =/

Natsu beeing able to use this mode again and again is BADASS.

Story is prepared quite well now. So let the arc finally begin. It will be a tournement of some kind. Maybe a hunting festival or somethin among those lines. I'm really curious.

kkck
November 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
At times I wondered what exactly the old woman was as her hatred of humans makes no sense and just concluded she hated "other" humans but this is quite an interesting development. I guess she did not want to be found so early lol. Interesting that natsu is nothing special in the guild nowadays, I am surprised FT did not retain some of its status. It is also an interesting development that natsu kept the fire lightning dragon, it is a nice boost and if such a thing can be mastered it will bring him up a notch from before. I wonder if he won't run out of it though. Lol at makarov being the 3 and 6 master. Gildart's an ass.

Ifrit
November 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
everything was good in this chapter...I really like it...only one page I dislike...did Natsu really use .....LOL

Gildartz...well he got the power to be a master, but responsibility is just not one of his qualities *Cana* xD

mmmm...could it be Grandine is.....make sense how she have a prophecy about the dragons...and how Makarov know about Acnologia I'm sure she's the one told him.

oh...and nice seeing MAX fight...thank you Mashima as I always say Fairy Tail has a lot of cool mages and magic use them plz...but agian....not lighting flame dragon lighting and fire just don't make sense to me.........because if Natsu can control such thing how come he can't go to Dragon Force mode anytime he wants.

who knows my prediction is what ever fairy tail are gonna participate in Porlyusica will teach our dragon slayers how to go into Dragon force mode whenever they want to

exacta
November 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hate how Natsu can still use Lightning-Fire.........I was excited to see that Natsu and co. might have to actually get stronger in order to fight on par with everyone since its been 7 years, seeing as Max was owning him, but then he whipped out Lightning-Fire and made Max back down....UGH.

Rest of the chapter was alright though. I'm kinda annoyed that Gildartz left, I wanted to see more of him. I was hoping to see him give us an epic fight sometime in the not-too far off future since Mashima owes us one, but he'll probably be gone for a long time. I was kinda hoping something more would happen in this chapter, info about Sabertooth or where things are going, I don't know, but all that really happened was telling us that Makarov actually ISN'T going to retire, and apparently Polyusca is Grandine, which I'm unsure how I feel about.

Jorge D. Dragon
November 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
The chapter was quite interesting. I was actually a bit shocked in the begining of the chapter, because of Natsu being so weak against Max who was next to useless before the timeskip. And Natsu was the closest to S class in new FT generation. So I would say even Mirajane and Elza will not be that great as they were before the timeskip. Still it was quite interesting to see Natsu using combo of Fire and Lightning DS Magic. It might be quite a development for him.;) He can develop both, because it compliments his Fire DS Magic and it isn't that far in origin from his own type of DS Magic.
Then Gildarts actually surprised me. To see him not only give up on being a Master, but actually run away was a bit shocking, even though it was pretty funny.:) The thing is that FT is very weak now and he ran away without supporting his comrades. Of course there are still Luxus, Elza and Mirajane apart from Makarov, but still even with Luxus and those two S-class they are quite weak. They must go through at least two or three Arcs to get more or less to the level of the strongest Guilds.
Makarov being 3rd and 6th Master at the same time really looks funny.:)
And finally Polushka is Grandine? That's actually quite a developmant. Then the theory of Natsu and others being real Dragons looks quite plausible now.:)

ShoobyDooBop
November 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
http://dragonflyscans.org/manga/fairy_tail/259/2.html

1337 haxor
November 11, 2011, 01:18 PM
At first I was like...

"So Fairy Tail was not that weak, however the pacifist scumbags are to lazy to tarn the tides up and make the loan sharks bow down"

But then I was like...

"WTF?! Porlyusica is Grandeeney?!"

That sums up my toughts about the chapter.

Rowel
November 11, 2011, 01:34 PM
I think the reason people are barely talking about the semi-revelation that Porlyusica is Grandeeney is that everyone saw it coming.

Considering how the anime gave both characters the same voice, and how they showed Porlyusica right after Grandeeney's conversation with Igneel, it probably drove the point home.

Max being strong imo is there only to represent FT's power as a whole; its members could beat down anyone if they wanted to but were knee-deep in debt, it was even commented on in this very chapter. Plus he isn't stronger than Natsu, he still lost the match.

So what’s the consensus on Natsu retaining his combined ability? Remember that if he kept some of Laxus's power to do that, there is a chance that he kept a portion of Jeleel's power too. The only good thing about this is that he waste alot of his magic energy to perform that combined attack so he will not be able to spam it in this stage. I have a feeling that he will eventually overcome that handicap but not of this moment.

wooticus
November 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
i really have mixed feelings about this chapter..

So let me summarize... Natsu&Co came back one-hitting the 4 bullys of Twilight Ogre who basically destroyed the halfe guild two weeks ago. Then we got Max now who is on an level with Natsu? Wtf? And then Gray states that they became to weak in this world? What kind of argumentation is that? Even if they were absent for 7 years, the average strength of mages has to be quite the same? There have to be mages who grew older and stronger and other who grew too old and died or just weakened. Well of course Natsu & the others lost 7 years of training and experience to those guys that were the same age as them. But there's no way each and every mage in the world became only stronger.

And then, one second after that Natsu uses a lightning attack? Did someone force Mashina to do this? Is this supposed to be a joke? This chapter mixed too many thing and messed some things up...

The little sidestory about gildarts and makarov was funny to see - well i start to believe that makarov will never stop to be the master. he won't die, he won't retire. I guess this whole "gildarts - master of fairy tail" mini arc was supposed to bring laxus back into fairy tail - without makarov reverting his decision to expell him.

And then there is this thing about Polyushka. Considering her healing abilities a connection with Grandine is really plausible. Think back to the phantom arc when makarovs powers were dispatched by sky magic - it makes total sense now that polyushka out of everybody is the one to be able to revert this. And Mystogan being familiar to wendy a bit might explain how he could find makarovs magic power and bring it to her.
But her being Grandine? Nope, i don't think so.
Her being a former dragon slayer? Well after last chapter's appearance with those new dragon slayers it would totally make sense that there are a lot more dragon slayers.
I hope wendy will head back to her and ask her out. I don't want this to be a cliffhanger for weeks.
Or maybe there's something more than dragons and dragon slayers. Layla seems to be dragon related to, so polyushka is a bit like her.

RaveDragon
November 11, 2011, 03:13 PM
I knew porylusca wasn't human but this is WOAH :wtf :jawdrop OMG is that my jaw down there?!

Oh and i love the cover chapter :hurr

Gildarts went away? :[ i'll miss him but I guess till there's Master around there aren't any substitutions worth thinking of after all we kept on thinking of makarov as the master in the end...

It seems its finally the dragon arc, so we might see the other dragons in their human form if they decide to show up...

GomuGomu_Getsuga
November 11, 2011, 03:43 PM
I don't care that Natsu has lightning to boost his powers now. It's not like he has all of Laxas's attacks or anything. This also doesn't make Laxas obsolete. He's a fake dragon slayer anyway. Natsu is the main character and I think it's good he finally received some sort of power-boost that will last longer than one fight.

I guess Max being this strong isn't too bad, but that mean Laxas, Erza and Mira aren't that strong anymore either.

1337 haxor
November 11, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have a theory, it's very crazy but it would explain everything.

The dragons live in another dimension, the dragons slayers trained for years in there but regressed to children upon returning to the human world, this dimension is called the ultimate magic world.

Think for a second, how can Porlyusica warp between Grandeeney and herself in seemingly an instant? How come the dragons were gone from the world but allowed Acnologia to stay behind and do as she well damn please?

Simple! They can't do anything because they are not part of this world!

Igneel, Grandeeney and Metallicana only exhist as dragons in the ultimate magical world whereas their Earthland selves are humans who can't fight Acnologia on their own.

It occurs to me now that Zeref is the first dragon slayer, the one whom Acnologia brought to the Ultimate magical world centuries ago and whose insane power managed to summon her from there to Earthland.

The truth is that the dragons never disappeared, they were never there to begin with, they simply brought their choosen children to the ultimate magical world during an event that occurs every seven years connecting both worlds and trained them like hell before reinserting them to the human realm.

Time pass differently in these two realms, whereas Porlyusica ages like a normal human, Grandeeney can live for centuries in the magical realm.

The dragons in the real world can all but acess a fraccion of their magic, in the ultimate magical world "where all of the lost magic manifests in it's full power" they truly become dragons because that's the nature of Dragon Slayer magic; to turn people into dragons.

So far the dragons choose their successors in the human world and train them in the magical realm so that, when their human lifes come to an end, the dragon slayers will assume their place as new dragons of their respective elements.

If we were to se things under this view, it could very well be that the true form of the celestial magic Lucy holds is something godly in the magical realm. More than that, the fact celestial spirits can travel between dimensions seemingly unrestrained might indicate they are the key to opening the gates to the magical realm.

If my theory hold true then it would explain why dragons teach dragon slayer magic to humans and also why Acnologia sees them as insects compared to the strenght she possesses in her dragon form.

LoS
November 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
How typical, over 7 years of course Mashima would have the other members catch up to those members in stasis. Basically this is what I was not looking forward to, starting over at a clean slate, where Natsu and co would have to power themselves up during this "second part". It kind of cheapens the entire first part where we saw Natsu and co. all progressively getting stronger through such difficult trials, now they are hardly ahead of the other guild members sort of just how the series started. They are no longer at the very top echelon of strong magic users, they will have to continue getting stronger.

I just don't like how since the resolution to Tenrou Island this manga has become a reboot, starting over. It shows that the events on the island weren't wrapped up well enough. As a side note, this is just me personally, but I didn't like Natsu still using Lightening. I'd rather have him stay just a Fire Dragon Slayer.

Lee-tyme7
November 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
Does this mean Natsu is also a dragon in human form? So is Wendy & Gazeel. It could be the other way around. That would be crazy. It's kinda funny to see Natsu losing to a FT fodder like Max...who is he again? His magic is speed, right? Why does Natsu still have Luxus lightening magic? Did Luxus transfer his DS magic to Natsu now? Don't get me wrong but I think that's kinda cool to use both lightening & fire like that but it could only be use at a critical situation because since it used up too much magic from Natsu. Other than that this chapter was good story development.

kidopitz27
November 11, 2011, 08:15 PM
if that old Lady is the wind dragon then ... well they already went to a parallel world so it's not impossible that Dragon's are in a parallel world and the human counterparts exist in Natsu's world

what if Natsu is been trained in the dragon's parallel world and that world don't have time like Natsu feels like he aged to a Teen but in the Earthland time he's already 80+ years old :)

but a big lol on the early scans is it really Flavor? or the correct one is "Sounds" like?

now the Restriction Spell Freed used is getting somewhere :)

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7223-9/fairy-tail/chapter-108.html

and also i'm i sensing the Lumen Eitole is like in dragon ball "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" :)

1337 haxor
November 11, 2011, 09:03 PM
Does this mean Natsu is also a dragon in human form? So is Wendy & Gazeel. It could be the other way around. That would be crazy. It's kinda funny to see Natsu losing to a FT fodder like Max...who is he again? His magic is speed, right? Why does Natsu still have Luxus lightening magic? Did Luxus transfer his DS magic to Natsu now? Don't get me wrong but I think that's kinda cool to use both lightening & fire like that but it could only be use at a critical situation because since it used up too much magic from Natsu. Other than that this chapter was good story development.

In given time Natsu, Gazille and Wendy would really become dragons, however, that can only happen in the magical world and only after they mastered their DS abilities to a great extent.

Ultimate magical world allows for Lost Magic to assume it's full power that is otherwise supressed by the boundaries of Earthland, since DS magic transforms the user into a dragon then a master of that magic would become a dragon upon entering that realm.

More than that I think the dragons are the guardians of the magic world, they are the only ones who can transit between both worlds and in case the ultimate magical world is breached they would have full power to face against those trying to attain the Magic of One.

Zeref would be Acnologia's successor as Life/Death Dragon but the later manipulated the young apprentice into reaching the Magic of One and releasing Chaos upon the world.

This may also have caused realities to split between Earthland and Edolas.

Originally magic was very rare in the world because the world of magic and the Magic of One were tightly held in place separated from the human world.

However, when Acnologia betrayed the other dragons and used his pupil to unleash the magic of one all hell broke loose.

Reality itself split and Edolas was formed as an untainted version of the world where magic was a rare commodity and getting it was something of royal caliber.

This is why Wendy is older in that world, because that world was never tainted the dragons didn't need to take humans to the magical world and train them into new dragons.

Since Wendy wasn't taken by Grandeeney to the magic realm, where aging is separated from the human realm, she progressed into her natural age.

Take note that even if someone spends centuries in the magical realm, as would Grandeeney and Ingneel in their dragon forms, they doesn't age an inch in the human realm so that an 18 years old teenager would return as an 18 years old teenager even if he became an 80 years old man in the magical realm.

So, as Edolas became an world untainted by magic, Earthland became the escape valve for the crack in the magical realm.

This is why magic is unlimited and inate in Earthland, there is a rupture to the magical realm somewhere and every 7 years it dumps more magic upon the world prompting the rise of new powerful guild, organizations and so on.

Back to Zeref and Acnologia, it's safe to assume that, if Zeref touched the Origin of Magic even for a split second that gave him enormous amounts of knowledge from all sorts of lost magic besides DS.

Hence why he was said to have mastered all the forms of black magic from an early age and unleashed all sorts of atrocities upon the world.

As for Acnologia, the former dragon of life was painted black for her ultimate sin, however, she was unbound from the limitations of the human world and manifested her full dragonic powers in the human realm.

Since a complete dragon is immortal; they may spend eons in the magic realm with no signs of aging, night invulnerable and almighty powerful. She, who was already the strongest dragon, became nearly godlike and unchallenged in the human realm.

The other dragons, still limited to their human forms and a fraccion of their power in the human world, cannot face her off directly so they hoped to train a new generation of dragons whose combined strenght could match that of Acnologia and release the world from her grasp.

It may also be possible that when Acnologia betrayed the other dragons she sealed them up in the magical realm so that Zeref and her would remain unopposed forever.

Yet, someone whose surname was Heartfilia managed to set them free so that they could proceed to recruit DS and start their plot to defeat the Black Dragon.

exacta
November 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
How typical, over 7 years of course Mashima would have the other members catch up to those members in stasis. Basically this is what I was not looking forward to, starting over at a clean slate, where Natsu and co would have to power themselves up during this "second part". It kind of cheapens the entire first part where we saw Natsu and co. all progressively getting stronger through such difficult trials, now they are hardly ahead of the other guild members sort of just how the series started. They are no longer at the very top echelon of strong magic users, they will have to continue getting stronger.

I just don't like how since the resolution to Tenrou Island this manga has become a reboot, starting over. It shows that the events on the island weren't wrapped up well enough. As a side note, this is just me personally, but I didn't like Natsu still using Lightening. I'd rather have him stay just a Fire Dragon Slayer.

The whole idea of Lightning Fire made me want to bash my head against the computer the moment Mashima thought of it.......also, Mashima better have an explanation for why Natsu retained this powerup. Why did he keep this form, but not the Etherion or Golden Flame form? And Laxus gave his magic to Natsu....so how can they both have it? Laxus said he gave every remaining bit of his magic to Natsu, and theres no way Mashima took away his magic. Theres a big plothole here.

LanceX
November 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
The whole idea of Lightning Fire made me want to bash my head against the computer the moment Mashima thought of it.......also, Mashima better have an explanation for why Natsu retained this powerup. Why did he keep this form, but not the Etherion or Golden Flame form? And Laxus gave his magic to Natsu....so how can they both have it? Laxus said he gave every remaining bit of his magic to Natsu, and theres no way Mashima took away his magic. Theres a big plothole here.

Theres no way Laxus Magic is gone. I think He meant all of his remaining power he had at the moment. Not his actual abilities taken away. I assume as long as the lacryima or whatever is inside him hell have his lightning.

Laxus with no power would be sad and pointless. Now....lightning flame dragon is pointless. I have a feeling These modes are going to be like Rasengan :P

ShoobyDooBop
November 11, 2011, 11:42 PM
It's good that they know that they are too weak in the world now.

Ex of our master. xD and LOL, Makarov is the master again. With the way Makarov offered the job for Gildarts, I didn't expect he would run away. But, we'll see him again. When the time to fight Raven Tail comes. Gildarts have some issues with Ivan after all.

99% sure Porlyusica is Grandine. With the title of the chapter, her face expression, and what Wendy said.

Krono
November 12, 2011, 12:35 AM

It's very simple. Natsu is a mage. His power is not something like a devil fruit, or elemental chakra, or a mutant power that he has and cannot change. It's something he was taught. As such it's entirely within his ability to use entirely different magics, or as we've seen a couple times before now, vary his dragon slayer magic.

In the case of the Etherion and the Golden Flame, the only thing they did was provide him with a massive influx of power, to push him to levels he hasn't naturally achieved yet. Laxus's power on the other hand not only gave him a power boost, it modified how his magic was working. The power from Laxus was used up, but Natsu remembers how it felt so to speak, and just had to modify his magic to duplicate that feel. Of course while he can duplicate the effect, he doesn't have any additional power, so the result is less and it tires him out quicker.

In short, the lightning added effect was something that Natsu never needed to eat lightning to do, he just needed to know how. Having done it once by accident, he figured out the how.

99% sure Porlyusica is Grandine. With the title of the chapter, her face expression, and what Wendy said.

Actually, while chapter 258 said chapter 259 would be title Sky Dragon Grandine, what it actually ended up being title was Porlyusica. Make of that what you will. Personally I figure that either Mashima or his editor decided that was too grand a title for a chapter where Grandine didn't explicitly appear.

kakashidad
November 12, 2011, 06:59 AM

I might get in trouble for this...but dude,Is there no joy in your life?You always come
in here and project nothing but negativity?Can i read something that you've done that's
superior to ft?..your prejudices are getting too much..sigh.:mad

Newkerzy
November 12, 2011, 09:10 AM
MS version is out: Mangastream (http://www.mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/44682431/1)

Apparently, the "fanart" we all saw at mangafox was actually a movie promotional. Hopefully someone translates it..... 'cuz it looks like there's gonna be some good NaLu moments.

Skyguardian
November 12, 2011, 09:12 AM
Reread Mangastreams Version again. That reminds me to never read a mangareader release again...

For the movie. The NatsuxLucy Picture was awesome. Can someone translate it? Kinda wanna know which bastard made Lucy cry...

For the reread...
I like the new outfits of the maincast. But could Wendy at least get back to release her hair? The pigtails are overused now...

The phrases made more sense. Natsu can't control the Lightning Mode. He releases all of it's magic power at once instead of balancing the outburst.

If FT wants to get back to the top then Makarov should do as he wanted and take back the old building. The repairs don't cost money. They have magic anyway. Baki just uses her woodstyle to make new furniture. Biggest reason is the underground though.

So this chapter jumped from Master 3 to Master 6. They should erase the former 3 to get it back in order. At the moment it's as stupid at the Hokageappointments after Tsunades unconciousness in Naruto.

The chapter is still called Sky Dragon Grandine. Porlyusica's eyes seemed weird anyway. They didn't seemed very human to start with...

Next week we'll get to know how FT will be back as No. 1. Regarding the style of the manga they will we back as the Topguild by the end of the arc.

Atobe the king
November 12, 2011, 09:40 AM
Good chapter, i lol'd at natsu getting owned....

funny way to do it...
-Natsu on a base level getting owned
-Pulls out lightning dragon to show that they're still some of the "stronger" FT members

The gold here is natsu saying "just now" when asked when the hell could he do that normally.

I just hope the impending hell training arc isn't too long

pongy
November 12, 2011, 10:32 AM
I don't like where this is going, Mashima...

So are we supposed to believe that after they come back and pwn those Orge guys so easily and now the mages that are in the current "weakest guild" can almost win against the s-rank candidate who won against the strongest dark guild before? Not very believable.

I mean it is 7 years, yes. But not everyone's gonna get so MUCH better in 7 years. Any other person as an example would be much better than Max to show this fact. This whole thing just have me imagined that Max could almost win against Zancrow or something which is totally ridiculous. At least if they want to show this difference then they shouldn't have them pwned the Orge or labelled them as the weakest guild at all. It just reeks of contradictory..

Razh
November 12, 2011, 10:47 AM

They were kinda running out of bad guys. Sure, there were still 2 dark guilds and shit, but that would fill like 2 arcs...
I much prefer this kind of introduction of new strong guys, than putting some super strong characters out of the blue, like I've seen in so many other stories. Even if Mashima did exactly that, but at least it all has a back story now = they were always there, just that they grew up and became tough now. It's the little details that count :p

I'm not especially fond of Natsu shooting lightnings now. I'd love some explanation. I think it has something to do with how he combined his own and Zancrows' flames to beat him.
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/fairy_tail/v24/c219/17.html
Perhaps he can retain the ability of another dragonslayer, instead of being able to use it once, like with godslayers' power. Supposedly because of how dragonslayer magic changes the body.
Anyway, I doubt he's limited to lightning-flame roar, but I guess he's going to have to train in order to spam that shit now.

Quantized
November 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
oh.. my... god... It was awesome the prediction that dragons has taken human forms now seems to be entirely true, but all the talk on how dragons hate humans and we forget Porlyusica........... amg, I feel blind! How the hell could one miss that...?

The fact that Porlyusica might indeed be a dragon, that she has once been (might still be in secret) a member of Fairy Tail and that big secret under Fairy Tail + Marvis who might actually be a Fairy...? What is the world coming to?

Got a feeling we're far from getting big reveals yet, seems Mashima really enjoys keeping the reader in a mystery, not odd for a magical inspired manga actually.

ca12nag3
November 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
Lets say this,

We all know how dragons fuse their magic together to make eachother stronger. Wendy on Natsu + Gajeel for example. Laxus took it a step further and fused his into Natsu. (here im saying only the element + magic power)

Grandine is a dragon.
Makarov human.

Then im saying Ivan is half a dragon..? So hes a dragonslayer too. His element i dunno, could be his moms could be his dads. I think its hereditary. Take the takeover siblings and Romeo and his dad.( not unlike pokemon? :D)

Laxus in this case is at least 1/4 dragonslayer. A real one. In his case he has lightning as his element ( even before getting the lachrima). Laxus element lightning/Thunder could be inherited of his mother. Making him a lightning/Thunder dragonslayer. Ill say the Lachrima boosts his power significant. Like his dad wanted him to be more powerfull.

Coming back to Natsu, since they are both real dragonslayers their magic is compatible and it can fuse. :D Thats how Natsu can use lighthingflames. Yet he cannot use the former typs of moves like with Rebuke and Godflames.

exacta
November 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
It's very simple. Natsu is a mage. His power is not something like a devil fruit, or elemental chakra, or a mutant power that he has and cannot change. It's something he was taught. As such it's entirely within his ability to use entirely different magics, or as we've seen a couple times before now, vary his dragon slayer magic.

In the case of the Etherion and the Golden Flame, the only thing they did was provide him with a massive influx of power, to push him to levels he hasn't naturally achieved yet. Laxus's power on the other hand not only gave him a power boost, it modified how his magic was working. The power from Laxus was used up, but Natsu remembers how it felt so to speak, and just had to modify his magic to duplicate that feel. Of course while he can duplicate the effect, he doesn't have any additional power, so the result is less and it tires him out quicker.

In short, the lightning added effect was something that Natsu never needed to eat lightning to do, he just needed to know how. Having done it once by accident, he figured out the how.

Your explanation doesn't make much sense to me. They even said Natsu eating the lightning was just like eating Etherion....I don't see how eating Etherion or the Golden Flame shouldn't modify his power permanently when Laxus' lightning does.Eating Zancrows Godflames didn't permanently modify his power either. And they all enabled him to use different attacks except Etherion. Even if what your saying is right, Mashima needs to actually explain this, he can't just toss it in.

If Natsu can duplicate his lightning fire simply based on how it felt, then he should be able to duplicate the golden flame or etherion based on how that felt, or the flames he ate when he fought Totomaru, or Zancrows Godflames. If Natsu's magic worked more like a blue mage then this would make sense, but it doesnt.Then again, maybe its me, because I really don't like the idea of lightning fire.

Uriel
November 12, 2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe it's my influence of Avatar Aang and Azula but I don't see Lighting and Fire so far of each other. And we know that actually after eating Golden Flames Natsu learned how to reach the Dragon Skin that wasn't used prior that if I recall correctly.

Baka_Sousui
November 12, 2011, 11:50 AM
Just a small left field question.
http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/44682431/15
Who is that on the left of Juvia?
It's definitely not Lisanna. Can't be Lucy.

exacta
November 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
Maybe it's my influence of Avatar Aang and Azula but I don't see Lighting and Fire so far of each other. And we know that actually after eating Golden Flames Natsu learned how to reach the Dragon Skin that wasn't used prior that if I recall correctly.

But I don't recall seeing Natsu using that skin since. And originally when Natsu tried to eat Laxus' lightning he got sick or something from it and I think he fainted immediatley. Don't remember it well because it was something mentioned and never actually shown.

Skyguardian
November 12, 2011, 11:59 AM
Your explanation doesn't make much sense to me. They even said Natsu eating the lightning was just like eating Etherion....I don't see how eating Etherion or the Golden Flame shouldn't modify his power permanently when Laxus' lightning does.Eating Zancrows Godflames didn't permanently modify his power either. And they all enabled him to use different attacks except Etherion. Even if what your saying is right, Mashima needs to actually explain this, he can't just toss it in.

If Natsu can duplicate his lightning fire simply based on how it felt, then he should be able to duplicate the golden flame or etherion based on how that felt, or the flames he ate when he fought Totomaru, or Zancrows Godflames. If Natsu's magic worked more like a blue mage then this would make sense, but it doesnt.Then again, maybe its me, because I really don't like the idea of lightning fire.

Remember. Etherion and Flame of Rebuke both "only" forced Dragon Force Mode. His attacks weren't based on the input but on his forced mode. (Dragon SLayer Secret Art) It is different with the Lightning. Laxus transfered Dragonslayerlike magic so it does make a lot more sense Natsu is able to use it but he is (still) not able to balance it as seen this issue.

I agree with you regarding Zancrows flame. But it is a lost magic and Natsu forced in a magic he can't eat normaly because it is above a dragons flame.

exacta
November 12, 2011, 12:31 PM
I agree with you regarding Zancrows flame. But it is a lost magic and Natsu forced in a magic he can't eat normaly because it is above a dragons flame.

It was a different kind of flame, but he had to empty his magic vessel and create a new one so he could eat it....so if his magic vessel is now new upon swallowing the godflames, wouldn't it make sense for him to retain that ability too? Although the amount of godflames he swallowed and the amount of lightning transferred probably were not the same, so maybe it has to deal with the amount. But, Natsu was able to fuse godflames and dragonflames together. I don't know, I just want Mashima to explain this clearly.

masgrande
November 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
Just a small left field question.
http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/44682431/15
Who is that on the left of Juvia?
It's definitely not Lisanna. Can't be Lucy.

I was wondering the same thing, also who is guy behind Shadow Gear and Nab who looks a bit like Warren with a gotee.
Here's the page
http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/44682431/17

LoS
November 12, 2011, 01:42 PM
I might get in trouble for this...but dude,Is there no joy in your life?You always come
in here and project nothing but negativity?Can i read something that you've done that's
superior to ft?..your prejudices are getting too much..sigh.:mad

My post isn't even bad... guess you are just being too cynical towards me. I just pointed out how the resolution to the GH arc was half assed since this chapter just reiterates as much, and now we are in reboot mode. There are plot holes he will have to clear up, but probably they will get passed over.

I just don't understand the people saying this chapter was awesome, the characters being forced to tell the audience they needed a power up. You think. Not like no one didn't suspect as much. Was I supposed to get all excited seeing Natsu using Lightening? Maybe that was it, maybe I am missing something, people are all hyped for the Lightening aspect or the old Witch or something. I just don't get it, but hey I'm over trying to understand anymore.

I much prefer this kind of introduction of new strong guys, than putting some super strong characters out of the blue

But isn't that what he has just done? These new Dragon Slayers are like apprentices apparently, yet they were pulled out of the blue from thin air.

Razh
November 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
I much prefer this kind of introduction of new strong guys, than putting some super strong characters out of the blue

But isn't that what he has just done? These new Dragon Slayers are like apprentices apparently, yet they were pulled out of the blue from thin air.

I like how you read my sentence to the middle part, then just spaced out or something. I guess you got an idea for a reply and couldn't stop to read the sentence to the end. But I guess I should thank you for pointing the obvious to me. Since you didn't read the rest of the sentence, you probably only meant well. ^^

Here, I'll bold it for you.

I much prefer this kind of introduction of new strong guys, than putting some super strong characters out of the blue, like I've seen in so many other stories. Even if Mashima did exactly that, but at least it all has a back story now = they were always there, just that they grew up and became tough now. It's the little details that count :p

Yeah, he did it, but I can somehow swallow it easier now. And if it means it will prolong Fairy Tail, then I'm all for it (it would be cool if Mashima got his shit together though). Maybe he just realized he was overloading on the "friendship > everything" thing and decided to reset things before it went too far. I guess he likes his characters too much and doesn't want to kill anyone. If only things in the real life always worked out like in Mashima's mangas.

Sollum
November 12, 2011, 04:08 PM
Awesome! I can totally predict how Natsu will pull of God Slayer Mode in middle of fight against 5x5 Arena Duel vs Sabertooth.

hoeru
November 12, 2011, 04:12 PM
Amazing chapter... I'm actually curious on how Natsu was able to imitate that thunderflame mode... But maybe it's simply pacticing it. But with this he seems to be as strong as that blondehead from last chapter ... who spitted that little metal piece ...

The part 'bout Gildarts was funny. I'm a bit disappointed that he's off again since I wanted to see more of his abilites but I accept that Mashima wants to have the story about Natsu and Lucy, and some of their sidekicks. ;p

Reread Mangastreams Version again. That reminds me to never read a mangareader release again...

It's not Mangareader. It's Dragonfly Scans that allowed it to be on Mangafox. Mangareader ripped it off MF (but that isn't actually that bad, because MF rips off releases, too) We all should avoid reading manga on those sites. :P

P.S.: Natsu's style from the cover reminds me on Monster Hunter... Anyone else?

Isasa
November 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
Finally Hiro Mashima is getting somewhere.
1337 Haxor, I must say, your theory is pretty good, you gave me goose-skin and all xD hehe
anyway.... some part of me is hoping that you're not entirely right because if they're dragons then this means that in the end they should probably go somewhere else and leave the guild x(

About the plot, I hope that mashima stop making circles and goes to the point about the mistery around the dragons etcetera...

About this n. 1 thing, if it comes out like a duel or something I'll totally relate it to dragonball and the martial arts championship XD

Gats
November 12, 2011, 04:19 PM
So will the main characters finally be stronger as an individual ? Not just as an addition of friendship and stealing a temporary power ?

And Gildzart running away when the Guild needs him the most, as usual. Innocent young women prepare yourselves for the next harvest.

Krono
November 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
The chapter is still called Sky Dragon Grandine.

Actually, no it wasn't, it was called Porlyusica.

Here's what 258 listed as the next title:

http://i.imgur.com/TZmbf.jpg

That translates as Sky Dragon Grandine.

Here's what 259's actual title was:

http://i.imgur.com/Tey51.jpg

That translates as Porlyusica.

Again, all the etherion and the golden flame did was provide him with a massive amount of power. Think of them as eating an entire forest fire all at once. One heck of a power boost compared to the small amounts of fire he usually eats, but no real modification to his flames take place, they're just stronger. You can't simply duplicate being stronger.

Technically he could add Totomaru's or Zancrow's flames effects to his as well, much in the way in he changed his fire to be similar to Macao's purple fire when fighting Erigor:

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7133-9/fairy-tail/chapter-18.html

He doesn't know how to use Totomaru's flames, nor were they strong enough or different enough to forcible change his flames when eaten so he can't remember how it felt to use them. He's got a much better chance to use Zancrow's god flames, seeing as he did use them before, but given the difficultly involved in just eating them, and that he was only able to use them for one attack, it's much less likely.

Mashima explaining these things would be nice, but it has been demonstrated to not stop complaints and cries of BS.

For example, when Natsu ate Zancrow's flames, it was explained as Natsu temporarily emptying himself of his magic to create a vessel which would hold Zancrow's flames. In other words Natsu briefly suppressed/turned off his dragon slayer magic so he could eat Zancrow's god magic. This simple explanation - despite being functional the same as say, Makarov being in giant form and turning off/suppressing his titan magic to do something - and fueled in part by iffy translations, provoked a number of cries of BS, asspull, etc; about Natsu "suddenly learning to nullify his own magic."

All for an explanation that was essentially just a fancy way of saying "he stopped using his dragonslayer magic so that he could eat the godslayer magic." So I'm not surprised that Mashima passes on using technobabble.

But I don't recall seeing Natsu using that skin since. And originally when Natsu tried to eat Laxus' lightning he got sick or something from it and I think he fainted immediatley. Don't remember it well because it was something mentioned and never actually shown.

It was mentioned here:

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7221-7/fairy-tail/chapter-106.html

that he ended up sick after eating Laxus's lightning before. The part about him being defeated in an instant is separate. In other words, he ate Laxus's lightning before, but Laxus was so much stronger than him at the time that it was irrelevant and he was defeated before he could do anything.

exacta
November 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
Again, all the etherion and the golden flame did was provide him with a massive amount of power. Think of them as eating an entire forest fire all at once. One heck of a power boost compared to the small amounts of fire he usually eats, but no real modification to his flames take place, they're just stronger. You can't simply duplicate being stronger.

Technically he could add Totomaru's or Zancrow's flames effects to his as well, much in the way in he changed his fire to be similar to Macao's purple fire when fighting Erigor:

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7133-9/fairy-tail/chapter-18.html

He doesn't know how to use Totomaru's flames, nor were they strong enough or different enough to forcible change his flames when eaten so he can't remember how it felt to use them. He's got a much better chance to use Zancrow's god flames, seeing as he did use them before, but given the difficultly involved in just eating them, and that he was only able to use them for one attack, it's much less likely.

Mashima explaining these things would be nice, but it has been demonstrated to not stop complaints and cries of BS.

For example, when Natsu ate Zancrow's flames, it was explained as Natsu temporarily emptying himself of his magic to create a vessel which would hold Zancrow's flames. In other words Natsu briefly suppressed/turned off his dragon slayer magic so he could eat Zancrow's god magic. This simple explanation - despite being functional the same as say, Makarov being in giant form and turning off/suppressing his titan magic to do something - and fueled in part by iffy translations, provoked a number of cries of BS, asspull, etc; about Natsu "suddenly learning to nullify his own magic."

All for an explanation that was essentially just a fancy way of saying "he stopped using his dragonslayer magic so that he could eat the godslayer magic." So I'm not surprised that Mashima passes on using technobabble.

It was mentioned here:

that he ended up sick after eating Laxus's lightning before. The part about him being defeated in an instant is separate. In other words, he ate Laxus's lightning before, but Laxus was so much stronger than him at the time that it was irrelevant and he was defeated before he could do anything.

When Natsu ate the gold flame his attacks were different, and I don't think he's used phoenix blade since. It was really just a powerup and didn't change his attacks,thats true, but the fact that the author himself decides to comparing lightning to etherion makes me feel like its an inconsistency, because he hasn't been able to enter dragon force automatically since eating etherion. If it wasn't for that one line I probably wouldn't have a problem with Natsu retaining the lightning.

Macao taught Natsu how to do that to his flame. Natsu has no idea how to use lightning, and honestly Natsu hasn't grown in strength since the beginning of this manga. Every time he confronted an enemy too strong for him, he won through a powerup that was temporary. He's done no training at all. Him suddenly being able to eat Laxus' lightning is a bit of a contradiction, but you could get past that by saying it was transferred to him from Laxus so it wasn't meant to harm him, I guess. But he has no experience in using lightning, thats also why I find it confusing that he can now produce it without Laxus' help.

And I agree the way Natsu beat Zancrow was kind of an asspull....the whole idea of godflames not being able to be eaten should've have been because they simply can't be, it seemed to hurt Natsu when he first tried.Emptying his magic shouldn't change that fact. It seemed like eating godflames was like eating something harmful when he first attempted it. It was kind of an asspull.....but I didn't get mad over it because back then there was still so much hope for the S-Trial lol. The whole mechanic behind Natsu's dragonslayer magic seems inconsistent to me. But your right, Mashima probably won't explain it.

hoeru
November 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
exacta, how can you agree with Krono when he's totally opposing your points?

BTW, is this issue 51 of the Shonen Magazine? Aren't we getting close to double issues?

ca12nag3
November 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
I prefer to keep the flame stuff simple, Laxus might be a real dragonslayer with added lachrima since hes considered weak by his dad. So due to his ability being a dragonslayer 1 Natsu can take it on as his own after fusing.

The entire Etherion, Rebuke, Godflame part those are all 1 shots. He hasnt used since. As for the moment he gained it it was like the Etherion powerup. Truth is Natsu just does things on the go so any comparison could be judged from his own judgment and that isnt all that good.

Him retaining that ability is something new for himself (Natsu) as well. So well have to see what more comes.

Another thing unknown is if Polly is Makarovs full wife or just lover since Gray isnt all that clear when mentioning her. That would make Ivan at least half a dragon (slayer) and Laxus 1/4. That might explain something as well.

Zeltrax
November 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
Oh no..nononono..please don't let the upcoming arc be a battle royale.
I'm sick of finding battle royales of many kinds in almost every freaking shounen. Please no unless you can do a good one.
I hate the lighting fire dragon but it makes sense(after reading posts from the members) so I'll accept it :p
I'm getting used to the new outfits that mashima gave them..but I'm sure gray will strip again and lucy will lose parts of her outfit again so I'm enjoying it while it last.
I doubt Grandine is that old woman. Maybe she is related to grandine or something, but I don't think she is grandine. Then again, if she is grandine it means that any humans that we meet in the future could be igneel.
Uh okay..the wendy panel is suggestive..What I really like is for mashima to stop with the ero stuff.
Love how mashima makes fun of shounen cliches "100 fold, pills" lol.

That aside, looking at the outfit in the promotional poster, it seems that the movie will take place after the timeskip. Which means that next year the anime will already reach the timeskip part by august and maybe this arc. I look forward to that. Totally called an anime movie for ft a year ago.
But natsuxlucy movie?! I've given up all hope on lisannaxnatsu...

Dylan21
November 12, 2011, 08:40 PM
some serious trolling in this chap..... Natsu's Lightning-Fire , Gildarts running away (what was the point of making him the 5th? ) , but at least we know the reason for the timeskip. The tenrou-group were simple too strong, so Mashima had to put something like this to make the future fights even. I'm curious about romeo's idea... maybe some kind of tournament?

exacta
November 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
exacta, how can you agree with Krono when he's totally opposing your points?

BTW, is this issue 51 of the Shonen Magazine? Aren't we getting close to double issues?

I didn't. When I said I agree, I was referring to the people who were upset about what Mashima did with the Zancrow fight. And I agree that Mashima probably won't explain why Natsu keeps it.

Quantized
November 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
...It was mentioned here:

While thinking back on that chapter, I wonder if Lucy actually went to sleep in her bed while Natsu was sleeping there, Happy seemed to go home on his own afterall.
Well, despite of being a guy, I actually find it odd there always are hardly any romance in shounens despite of the big potentials, maybe Mashima will change it.
Not saying it should be a lot, God forbid it in a shounen, but at the very least more than shounens got.

Anyyyyyhow, I absolutely loved gramps this chapter, haha so epic...!
Seems we're stuck with him for a while longer :p

Nevertheless, this chapter sure as hell prepared an epic death scene for Marakov... "I'll stay master till I die", Gildartz "I'll take some time to travel the world, and when the time is right, I'll be back"

This is one hell of foreshadow that it's likely that Marakov will die, and it'll both be a very epic death but also very, very sad. Gildartz is likely travelling the world to get stronger, in order to become way stronger for Fairy Tail once it's his time to become the next master, othervice why suggest they had to become the strongest while he was away...? It seemed to indicate he had the very same intentions.

All the time Marakov almost died is likely to build up the tension, and to make us feel that he won't die when his time comes, and I'm sure it will, Mashima got guts! Which I'm sorry to say, many manga-ka's don't have.

Knowing Gildartz will eventually become the next master, and Marakov saying he'll stay master until his death, even if he was joking...? Man, I don't want Marakov to die, but it sure as hell will make the story much more interesting, and a heartbroken moment when/if it comes!

Gildartz will likely return in desperate hours, having a really epic entrance scene saving everyone after having gotten a lot stronger. At this point Marakov has lost his life, or is about to, seeing Gildartz return before dying, which will calm him down. This is my prediction :)

I started to love this manga, it's one of a kind..! Especially after the time skip, which I may add turned out to be an absolutely amazing success thus far!

LoS
November 12, 2011, 11:22 PM
I like how you read my sentence to the middle part, then just spaced out or something. I guess you got an idea for a reply and couldn't stop to read the sentence to the end. But I guess I should thank you for pointing the obvious to me. Since you didn't read the rest of the sentence, you probably only meant well. ^^

Ha, my mistake. Definitely saw that and ran with it.

But to me it is still kind of thin air. Apprentices, were always there, yet we never saw nor heard of them till now. It is kinda fishy and reeks of thin air if you ask me. I guess what I am saying is, I am not buying it. Mashima has to do a good job explaining it for me to accept it.

(it would be cool if Mashima got his shit together though). Maybe he just realized he was overloading on the "friendship > everything" thing and decided to reset things before it went too far. I guess he likes his characters too much and doesn't want to kill anyone. If only things in the real life always worked out like in Mashima's mangas.

I wold love for him to get back on track and do just that, get his shit together. But after that multi-dimension arc where he clearly bit off more than he could chew, and the GH arc where like you said, we were bludgeoned over the head for multiple pages each and every chapter that Friendship and Bonds overpowers all I just don't know if he can. Reboot mode, starting from scratch, whatever you want to call it I just hope he gets back to something you can actually believe without scratching your head over it too much.

exacta
November 13, 2011, 01:06 AM
Nevertheless, this chapter sure as hell prepared an epic death scene for Marakov... "I'll stay master till I die", Gildartz "I'll take some time to travel the world, and when the time is right, I'll be back"

This is one hell of foreshadow that it's likely that Marakov will die, and it'll both be a very epic death but also very, very sad. Gildartz is likely travelling the world to get stronger, in order to become way stronger for Fairy Tail once it's his time to become the next master, othervice why suggest they had to become the strongest while he was away...? It seemed to indicate he had the very same intentions.

All the time Marakov almost died is likely to build up the tension, and to make us feel that he won't die when his time comes, and I'm sure it will, Mashima got guts! Which I'm sorry to say, many manga-ka's don't have.

I was very amused by the whole Gildartz-Makarov bit this weeks chapter, even though it kind of made the whole Gildartz succeeds Makarov thing pointless, aside from just a plot device to officially reinstate Laxus into the guild.

But dude......Mashima has built up Makarov dying FOUR times now. One chapter even had the art page as him sitting in heaven waving goodbye! Not even when confronting Acnologia did Mashima kill him. I suppose not many mangaka's have guts when it comes to letting go of characters, but if anything, Mashima is a prime example of that.......

Mashima's reluctance to go through with Makarov will either work in his favor or kill the moment. If Mashima has Makarov die in way that the readers can see coming, then most likely the reaction will be like "wow, Makarov finally bit the dust...". Now if Mashima kills Makarov in a scenario which we did not foresee at all, like just randomly in some battle another character steps in and stabs him or something, then it might be sad.

nichendrix
November 13, 2011, 02:55 AM
When Natsu ate the gold flame his attacks were different, and I don't think he's used phoenix blade since. It was really just a powerup and didn't change his attacks,thats true, but the fact that the author himself decides to comparing lightning to etherion makes me feel like its an inconsistency, because he hasn't been able to enter dragon force automatically since eating etherion. If it wasn't for that one line I probably wouldn't have a problem with Natsu retaining the lightning.

The whole mechanic behind Natsu's dragonslayer magic seems inconsistent to me. But your right, Mashima probably won't explain it.

Don't you think that you area taking a manga aimed for 13 years old children a bit too seriously?

Relax, have fun, it's just child's stuff, not a late 19th century russian writer's drama.

Quantized
November 13, 2011, 03:40 AM
I was very amused by the whole Gildartz-Makarov bit this weeks chapter, even though it kind of made the whole Gildartz succeeds Makarov thing pointless, aside from just a plot device to officially reinstate Laxus into the guild.

But dude......Mashima has built up Makarov dying FOUR times now. One chapter even had the art page as him sitting in heaven waving goodbye! Not even when confronting Acnologia did Mashima kill him. I suppose not many mangaka's have guts when it comes to letting go of characters, but if anything, Mashima is a prime example of that.......

Mashima's reluctance to go through with Makarov will either work in his favor or kill the moment. If Mashima has Makarov die in way that the readers can see coming, then most likely the reaction will be like "wow, Makarov finally bit the dust...". Now if Mashima kills Makarov in a scenario which we did not foresee at all, like just randomly in some battle another character steps in and stabs him or something, then it might be sad.

I get your point m8, in fact it's a good one.
Nevertheless, the reason Marakov did not die when close to it all these times could have been by purpose to build up to when he "finally" dies. It's all up to if it's planned or not.
For one, it wouldn't a be shock the manga can't recover from, being a shounen and all and the fact that Marakov is a pretty big part of the manga, second we grow unprepared.

This is exactly the twist I'm looking forward to, a twist that twist a hard core balance between shock of him finally dying after, what 4 times..? and the fact that one thought he would never die.
Fairy Tail is not ready to loose Marakov as it is, I don't think the timing has ever been there.. Marakov's death should be meaningful, not by some random bad guy, and it'd been too dark for the theme Fairy Tail runs on, I agree.

What makes me sure Marakov will eventually die now is that Gildartz technically indeed did accept the role as Guild Master, but he indirectly told everyone he was not "ready" for it.
For me, it's obvious Gildartz will one day become the next master, in the long run of the manga, likely way more powerful and wiser after been travelling the world.

In short, I don't see Marakov handing it over to Gildartz a second time, now we "know" who the next master will be, and he'll be ready to fill in the void space Marakov will leave upon death. This foreshadow would prepare everyone to accept Gildartz with their hearts, and to allow him to return as a person ready to be a Guild Master and not a person forced into it, not being ready for it.

I just find it such a big foreshadow, there's been so much focus on it, so many pages wasted on it... If Marakov truly is never gonna die, retire or whatever to stop being the master, likely die though, then I really don't know what Mashima has been smoking.

The fact that Marakov has almost died 4 times now proves to me that Marakov will eventually die rather than being an idiotic drama plot tool that serves little purpose but annoyance if Marakov doesn't fulfil his tons of heavy foreshadows, story vice.

All I'm saying is, Gildartz is right now technically the next Master, all that's left is to get used to it, for the reader to accept it in their hearts, for Marakov to grow a bit less important as he's really a big sized character in the story, before he might die.

We're all having different opinions. For me it's obvious, but I got twisted logic though hihi :tem

MyuuMyuu
November 13, 2011, 07:11 AM
can anyone tell me what this page says? http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/44682431/4 as a Natsu x Lucy fan, i wanna know SO BADLY Why there is a picture of them hugging

ca12nag3
November 13, 2011, 08:47 AM
Oh no..nononono..please don't let the upcoming arc be a battle royale.
I'm sick of finding battle royales of many kinds in almost every freaking shounen. Please no unless you can do a good one.
I hate the lighting fire dragon but it makes sense(after reading posts from the members) so I'll accept it :p
I'm getting used to the new outfits that mashima gave them..but I'm sure gray will strip again and lucy will lose parts of her outfit again so I'm enjoying it while it last.
I doubt Grandine is that old woman. Maybe she is related to grandine or something, but I don't think she is grandine. Then again, if she is grandine it means that any humans that we meet in the future could be igneel.
Uh okay..the wendy panel is suggestive..What I really like is for mashima to stop with the ero stuff.
Love how mashima makes fun of shounen cliches "100 fold, pills" lol.

That aside, looking at the outfit in the promotional poster, it seems that the movie will take place after the timeskip. Which means that next year the anime will already reach the timeskip part by august and maybe this arc. I look forward to that. Totally called an anime movie for ft a year ago.
But natsuxlucy movie?! I've given up all hope on lisannaxnatsu...

Wendy is more then just sugestive shes all tears, another thing is we see pol. a bit to much with a worried face, as if shes discovered. We do know Grandine wanted to intervene but Igneel forbid it. Also the entire shock page with the other characters reacting to Wendy says its more then just sugestive. So i expect her to be Grandine. If not what is the smell/nostalgia for?
Another thing to add is that dragonslayers have heightened sense of smell.

Quantized
November 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
Wendy is more then just sugestive shes all tears, another thing is we see pol. a bit to much with a worried face, as if shes discovered. We do know Grandine wanted to intervene but Igneel forbid it. Also the entire shock page with the other characters reacting to Wendy says its more then just sugestive. So i expect her to be Grandine. If not what is the smell/nostalgia for?

Furthermore as Krono mentioned some pretty hardcore facts a bit earlier in this thread, scroll up a bit. Assuming the translation was accurate, the preview for next & current chapter stated Grandine and Porlyusica separately.

Funny enough though, I can't find a translation agreeing to it, can someone who reads Japanese confirm..?

Nevertheless the sheer chapter events pretty much suggest that Porlyusica is Grandine, not to mention the whole chapter was named after her.
I'm gonna eat my keyboard if it turns out different :p

ca12nag3
November 13, 2011, 10:44 AM
Furthermore as Krono mentioned some pretty hardcore facts a bit earlier in this thread, scroll up a bit. Assuming the translation was accurate, the preview for next & current chapter stated Grandine and Porlyusica separately.

Funny enough though, I can't find a translation agreeing to it, can someone who reads Japanese confirm..?

Nevertheless the sheer chapter events pretty much suggest that Porlyusica is Grandine, not to mention the whole chapter was named after her.
I'm gonna eat my keyboard if it turns out different :p

It also opens windows to way more options

-Natsu & the slayers could be actual dragons.
-Ivan is possibly Porlyusicas son with Makarov. Making him 1/2 dragon?
-Laxus in turn would be 1/4 (him being weak was what made Ivan use a Lachrima on him btw)
-The dragons could be hiding as humans. The others.
-Layla disapeared at the same time? She a dragon too then?
-Lucy could then be 1/2 dragon as well.

Im inclined to think these dragons are like the dragontribe in Rave but quoting from Rave is mostly a nono in this thread yet i cant help but think about Mashima using his idea of the dragontribe here as well. Making the Dragons in FT humanoid with the ability to transform into dragons.

MyuuMyuu
November 13, 2011, 11:26 AM
-Layla disapeared at the same time? She a dragon too then?
-Lucy could then be 1/2 dragon as well.

That sounds interesting to me o:

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Porlyusicas did not seem 7 years older at all. maybe she doesn't age. because she's a dragon. ? :P

ca12nag3
November 13, 2011, 11:29 AM
That sounds interesting to me o:

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Porlyusicas did not seem 7 years older at all. maybe she doesn't age. because she's a dragon. ? :P

Dragons do age i think but they grow 100s of years old. So for her 7 years could be like 2/3 weeks in human terms?

nichendrix
November 13, 2011, 01:29 PM

But she does age, we already know that Porlyusica, Makarov and Yajima are long time aquitances, and if you count the anime as well, they were on the same team on Fairy Tail.

So she indeed ages, maybe since she is skilled in healing magic, she can retard her aging process.

In the end, I really don't think Porlyusica is grandine, but has a great relation to her, maybe she is a dragon slayer and maybe their destinies is to become every bit closer to their dragons, Igneel seems to be have a personality close to natsu's, and metalicana to Gajieel's, so if Porlyusica is a dragon slayer, maybe se starting to be so close in personality to grandine, that she uses the same voice and has the same smell.

meepers4982
November 13, 2011, 01:42 PM
ohh nice clifflhanger mashima. Im really looking forward to the next chapter, to be honest i dont want to make any assumptions on whether she is grandine or not, mainly because i dont know where this is heading. It seems this really is the dragons arc everyone was waiting for, or maybe this is just a wendy background arc. We've seen in the coverpages that wendy is actually 12 while gajeel and natsu have an unknown age, maybe she was just beginning to be trained as a rider...

mr.danly
November 13, 2011, 02:02 PM
But she does age, we already know that Porlyusica, Makarov and Yajima are long time aquitances, and if you count the anime as well, they were on the same team on Fairy Tail.

So she indeed ages, maybe since she is skilled in healing magic, she can retard her aging process.

In the end, I really don't think Porlyusica is grandine, but has a great relation to her, maybe she is a dragon slayer and maybe their destinies is to become every bit closer to their dragons, Igneel seems to be have a personality close to natsu's, and metalicana to Gajieel's, so if Porlyusica is a dragon slayer, maybe se starting to be so close in personality to grandine, that she uses the same voice and has the same smell.

Wendy is Grandine's dragon slayer, not Polyusca - and as far as we know, each dragon has only one dragon slayer. I doubt she herself is a DS, and I am hesitant to believe that she is Grandine herself, but there is clearly some mysterious relation between Polyusca and the Dragons based off her extensive knowledge of Dragonslayers and the prophecy.

exacta
November 13, 2011, 02:09 PM
Don't you think that you area taking a manga aimed for 13 years old children a bit too seriously?

Relax, have fun, it's just child's stuff, not a late 19th century russian writer's drama.

I'm not taking this manga too seriously at all dude. Plotholes are plotholes. And its not just for 13 olds. Violence and umm have you seen the way Mashima draws the women lol?People of all ages read manga in Japan. Besides......people constantly, CONSTANTLY rip on other authors in the other discussions. Whats wrong with asking questions when Mashima is making mistakes? I'm actually being constructive, I'm not flaming. It's pretty frustrating that disappointment can't be expressed in this discussion, yet on other manga discussions its almost as if satisfaction can't be expressed... Just because I don't like an inconsistency or want a good story doesn't mean I'm taking it too seriously dude.....that's part of reading anything. Why would I read a story if I didn't care about either of the two? What would even be the point?

I didn't even say the chapter was bad......I just think lightning-fire being kept is a plothole, and also the dumbest power I've ever heard of, though it will probably look cool animated.

ca12nag3
November 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
I think its too soon to say she is or she is not, atm with what Wendy said its most logical that she is, and that dragons can shapeshift/transform between human and dragon form.
This is within what Mashima usualy does when its races concerned. Most of them look/are humanoid. With abilities to shapeshift to their *original* self.

When its confirmed if she is or is not Grandine it will raise a lot more questions too. I already mentioned a few things possible if it were true. Another thing is what if she has a bond with Grandine. Then again what would be the importance of that. And its far more a revealer if she is Grandine.
This also raises the possibility that the entire idea of dragonslayers = a lie. That in fact they are dragons. Just didnt learn to transform into their original selves yet? So that would mean Natsu could go into a dragonmode?

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I'm not taking this manga too seriously at all dude. Plotholes are plotholes. And its not just for 13 olds. Violence and umm have you seen the way Mashima draws the women lol?People of all ages read manga in Japan. Besides......people constantly, CONSTANTLY rip on other authors in the other discussions. Whats wrong with asking questions when Mashima is making mistakes? I'm actually being constructive, I'm not flaming. It's pretty frustrating that disappointment can't be expressed in this discussion, yet on other manga discussions its almost as if satisfaction can't be expressed... Just because I don't like an inconsistency or want a good story doesn't mean I'm taking it too seriously dude.....that's part of reading anything. Why would I read a story if I didn't care about either of the two? What would even be the point?

And seriously, am I really the only one that thinks lightning-fire is a stupid powerup?

It depends! look you take 1 thing and call it plothole but ignore my earlier statement. That with new development the plothole disapears.

I said, if Polyursica is Grandine that could mean (if she really is makarovs wife) she is Ivans mother. Right? That would make Ivan a dragon too or at least half. In turn Laxus would be 1/4th dragon. That means that w/e magic he uses is compatible with Natsus. That way it can fuse with his permanently. As for the Godflames,Etherion,Rebuke they are not of the dragon typ. So they cannot fuse.
And gone is your plothole.

inb4 nowhere is it stated that Laxus wasnt a dragonslayer/dragon prior to getting the Lachrima. His dad only said that his son was weak so thats why he gave it too him.

exacta
November 13, 2011, 02:20 PM
I think its too soon to say she is or she is not, atm with what Wendy said its most logical that she is, and that dragons can shapeshift/transform between human and dragon form.
This is within what Mashima usualy does when its races concerned. Most of them look/are humanoid. With abilities to shapeshift to their *original* self.

When its confirmed if she is or is not Grandine it will raise a lot more questions too. I already mentioned a few things possible if it were true. Another thing is what if she has a bond with Grandine. Then again what would be the importance of that. And its far more a revealer if she is Grandine.
This also raises the possibility that the entire idea of dragonslayers = a lie. That in fact they are dragons. Just didnt learn to transform into their original selves yet? So that would mean Natsu could go into a dragonmode?

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

It depends! look you take 1 thing and call it plothole but ignore my earlier statement. That with new development the plothole disapears.

I said, if Polyursica is Grandine that could mean (if she really is makarovs wife) she is Ivans mother. Right? That would make Ivan a dragon too or at least half. In turn Laxus would be 1/4th dragon. That means that w/e magic he uses is compatible with Natsus. That way it can fuse with his permanently. As for the Godflames,Etherion,Rebuke they are not of the dragon typ. So they cannot fuse.
And gone is your plothole.

inb4 nowhere is it stated that Laxus wasnt a dragonslayer/dragon prior to getting the Lachrima. His dad only said that his son was weak so thats why he gave it too him.

^All speculation til Mashima actually says something. Ivan calls Laxus a "fake-chan".Laxus isn't a real dragonslayer, and Natsu did fuse Godflames, and Etherion and Rebuke enabled him to enter Dragon Force, yet he didn't retain any of those abilities, and the lightning was mentioned be very similiar to when he ate Etherion. By this logic, why can't he go Dragon Force by himself? I don't wanna talk about lightning-fire anymore, just let this debate die lol......

ca12nag3
November 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
^All speculation til Mashima actually says something. Ivan calls Laxus a "fake-chan".Laxus isn't a real dragonslayer, and Natsu did fuse Godflames, and Etherion and Rebuke enabled him to enter Dragon Force, yet he didn't retain any of those abilities, and the lightning was mentioned be very similiar to when he ate Etherion. By this logic, why can't he go Dragon Force by himself? I don't wanna talk about lightning-fire anymore, just let this debate die lol......

Ok why would Ivan (i know its not covered before) say of his OWN son who HE GAVE the lachrima, say hes fake?... Unless hes the real deal? So Ivans main disapointment is that his son did not inherrit as much of the dragonpower as he did from his mother? Thus giving his son the Lachrima to boost it. And then call him fake?
Answer me that ^^

exacta
November 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Ok why would Ivan (i know its not covered before) say of his OWN son who HE GAVE the lachrima, say hes fake?... Unless hes the real deal? So Ivans main disapointment is that his son did not inherrit as much of the dragonpower as he did from his mother? Thus giving his son the Lachrima to boost it. And then call him fake?
Answer me that ^^

http://www.mangareader.net/135-7243-19/fairy-tail/chapter-128.html

Ivan called him a fake and implanted him with dragon lacrima when he was a kid because he was weak. What do you want from me man this is straight from the chapter lol

ca12nag3
November 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
http://www.mangareader.net/135-7243-19/fairy-tail/chapter-128.html

Ivan called him a fake and implanted him with dragon lacrima when he was a kid because he was weak. What do you want from me man this is straight from the chapter lol

I said 2 posts before that its possible Laxus doesnt have much dragonslayer power to begin with, he does have it but not at the lvl of the others. That could be the reason why his dad gave him that. Im not saying that it is how i describe it but its a possibility.

Also you think that Ivan would just blurt out to Gajeel that Laxus was a real one, and that he would be as well? Anyways he told him enough without revealing anything important. He didnt even talk about the FT secrets im sure he knows.

exacta
November 13, 2011, 02:44 PM
I said 2 posts before that its possible Laxus doesnt have much dragonslayer power to begin with, he does have it but not at the lvl of the others. That could be the reason why his dad gave him that. Im not saying that it is how i describe it but its a possibility.

Also you think that Ivan would just blurt out to Gajeel that Laxus was a real one, and that he would be as well? Anyways he told him enough without revealing anything important. He didnt even talk about the FT secrets im sure he knows.

Doesn't mean Ivan didn't tell him secrets. If he did, why would Mashima show that? That would kind of ruin alot of future plot twists and secrets about Fairy Tail. Plus, Gazille and Ivan probably interacted alot more than just twice in that arc. Most of it was offscreen. I wouldn't be surprised if Ivan did know that Gazille was a spy, but I see no reason for him to lie about something like that, plus if you scroll a few pages later Makarov confirms it. Laxus has DS powers from lacrima like Cobra, he wasn't trained like Gazille, Natsu and Wendy. He's a "new generation" dragonslayer.

nichendrix
November 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
Wendy is Grandine's dragon slayer, not Polyusca - and as far as we know, each dragon has only one dragon slayer. I doubt she herself is a DS, and I am hesitant to believe that she is Grandine herself, but there is clearly some mysterious relation between Polyusca and the Dragons based off her extensive knowledge of Dragonslayers and the prophecy.

Since there is two fire dragon slayers and two iron dragon slayers, it's hard to assume that every dragon has trained just one dragon slayer.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

I didn't even say the chapter was bad......I just think lightning-fire being kept is a plothole, and also the dumbest power I've ever heard of, though it will probably look cool animated.

Though in Japan there are manga readers of all ages, I tend to think that plot inconsistencies, and all the analytical stuff is based on the aimed target reader, you can't expect that Harry Potter books are has the same depth that lord of the rings ones, and that tolkien's has the same depth than Tolstoy. They are writen aiming different public, so the tolerance for unexplained situations are different too.

To me Fairy Tail is quite a pre-teen boyish story, the sexuality stuff is there because 13 years old boys and girls are starting to fell and interact with that stuff on their lives, it's a quite straightforward world because there ain't lots of complexity on this kind of public. Mos persons that we see complaining about plot, explanations and so on, are around or over 20 years old, you just don't see a lot of 13 years old coming here saying that Mashima is screwing with they manga. Heck, most of then simply doesn't have this maturity yet.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with consistency, nor that you can't be upset with it, but we also have to take into account that this stuff was written by someone from a totally different culture, for kids around 13 of that same totally different culture. They never seem to care much about their international readers are thinking about their story, since we are reading on-line without paying anything, while the japanese and korean kids are spending fortunes with their manga, it is them they are interested, and I really believe that if they start to make the same question (and these cultures are very strict and questioning, sometimes, isn't encouraged), well if their kids starting complaining, they would change it pretty fast.

It's just like Naruto, when Sasuke was the badass, the manga was all Sasuke, later when the Pain fight came and Naruto showes his badassery, we barely seen Sasuke after the Kage Summit. Their own pools showed that after the fight against pain, Naruto became the most popular character again, and thus received more spotlight, to please it's fans. And if they have to fuck up the consistency of the story to please the ones who pays they bills, they would certainly do, at least to some extent.

ca12nag3
November 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Since there is two fire dragon slayers and two iron dragon slayers, it's hard to assume that every dragon has trained just one dragon slayer.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Though in Japan there are manga readers of all ages, I tend to think that plot inconsistencies, and all the analytical stuff is based on the aimed target reader, you can't expect that Harry Potter books are has the same depth that lord of the rings ones, and that tolkien's has the same depth than Tolstoy. They are writen aiming different public, so the tolerance for unexplained situations are different too.

To me Fairy Tail is quite a pre-teen boyish story, the sexuality stuff is there because 13 years old boys and girls are starting to fell and interact with that stuff on their lives, it's a quite straightforward world because there ain't lots of complexity on this kind of public. Mos persons that we see complaining about plot, explanations and so on, are around or over 20 years old, you just don't see a lot of 13 years old coming here saying that Mashima is screwing with they manga. Heck, most of then simply doesn't have this maturity yet.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with consistency, nor that you can't be upset with it, but we also have to take into account that this stuff was written by someone from a totally different culture, for kids around 13 of that same totally different culture. They never seem to care much about their international readers are thinking about their story, since we are reading on-line without paying anything, while the japanese and korean kids are spending fortunes with their manga, it is them they are interested, and I really believe that if they start to make the same question (and these cultures are very strict and questioning, sometimes, isn't encouraged), well if their kids starting complaining, they would change it pretty fast.

It's just like Naruto, when Sasuke was the badass, the manga was all Sasuke, later when the Pain fight came and Naruto showes his badassery, we barely seen Sasuke after the Kage Summit. Their own pools showed that after the fight against pain, Naruto became the most popular character again, and thus received more spotlight, to please it's fans. And if they have to fuck up the consistency of the story to please the ones who pays they bills, they would certainly do, at least to some extent.

Thats a lot of offtopicness :D

To cut it short, FT = written for kids. If that means it should be inconsistant? No, however you cant judge the powerup of Natsu right now as plothole since we didnt get an explanation how it works in the first place. Now we can nag all day about it and say its a plothole. Or wait and see whats next.
A plothole is when 2 facts conflict with 1 another, we do not have that. There is no fact that says eating the lightning is the same as eating a flame. Another thing is that water or iron or w/e, natsu cant eat those. Hes a flame mage. So what happend there is something beyond that of a flame. We simply do not know, so tossing it on the heap of flames is odd.
Rebuke and God flame were as far as i could tell flame typs. Lightning is not. Etherion is something different all together what we dont know about either.

mr.danly
November 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=nichendrix;2668959]Since there is two fire dragon slayers and two iron dragon slayers, it's hard to assume that every dragon has trained just one dragon slayer.

/QUOTE]

uh.... who on earth is the other fire dragon slayer and other iron dragon slayer? The only dragon slayers we've been introduced to in the manga are: Natsu, Wendy, Gazille, Laxus, Cobra, Rogue, and Sting. Laxus and Cobra weren't even real dragon slayers (i.e. taught and raised by a dragon), and Rogue and Sting are "light and shadow" dragon slayers, whatever that may mean. I see no second iron or fire dragon slayer.

hoeru
November 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
uh.... who on earth is the other fire dragon slayer and other iron dragon slayer? The only dragon slayers we've been introduced to in the manga are: Natsu, Wendy, Gazille, Laxus, Cobra, Rogue, and Sting. Laxus and Cobra weren't even real dragon slayers (i.e. taught and raised by a dragon), and Rogue and Sting are "light and shadow" dragon slayers, whatever that may mean. I see no second iron or fire dragon slayer.

Sting ate the metal from the arrow. And that Roar looked very much like Gajeel's... So that most likely makes him to the second iron dragon slayer.

They still could be artificial dragon slayers though using dragon lacrima. But seven years is a lot of time...

Zeltrax
November 13, 2011, 08:17 PM
Uh no, the panel I was posting about was the panel where she was looking at her chest.
It's suggestive because we were lead to think that she might need a pill to increase her chest size :p
But pol is an elf right? I don't see how we could link her as a dragon unless when a dragon takes human form, their ear turns sharp or something.
Like I said, I'm more incline towards her knowing grandine and wendy rather than her being grandine. Maybe she is able to talk to Grandine or maybe she is someone special to grandine.
A human-dragon theory is great but I really don't think I want to jump into too far since I believe dragons should be dragons..and
it wouldn't make sense either because Acknowlogia would have also taken human form.

nichendrix
November 13, 2011, 10:07 PM

To cut it short, FT = written for kids. If that means it should be inconsistant?

Indeed it is, at least to me all exacta's complains about inconsistencies, deviates from topic, I just tried to point that there are a number of factors influencing the store, a lot of them have nothing to do to the story itself, most mangas are full of unexplained things, even stories like Lord of The Rings who take a lifetime for the author to develop have unexplained issues, imagine a story that is run with the pressure to sell a lot and to get an issue per week year after year?

A little more on the subject, I don't think that we have time in the series to have everything all clear, and nw, maybe we get some juice, for example, we probably will finally get to know who the hell Porlyurcica is.

No, however you cant judge the powerup of Natsu right now as plothole since we didnt get an explanation how it works in the first place. Now we can nag all day about it and say its a plothole. Or wait and see whats next.
A plothole is when 2 facts conflict with 1 another, we do not have that. There is no fact that says eating the lightning is the same as eating a flame. Another thing is that water or iron or w/e, natsu cant eat those. Hes a flame mage. So what happend there is something beyond that of a flame. We simply do not know, so tossing it on the heap of flames is odd.
Rebuke and God flame were as far as i could tell flame typs. Lightning is not. Etherion is something different all together what we dont know about either.

I have a theory about how he got the ability to incorporate lightining from Luxus and no the other time he incorporated an external ellement.

I thing that happend because Luxus e also a Dragon Slayer, be it true or lacrima made, his magic and Natsu's are pretty much the same, he, Wendy, Gajeel, Luxus, and all dragon slayers uses the same magic, but each one attune it to different element, their dragon teacher's element.

Probably Natsu realized that to some extent he could incorporate some of the lightning element to his magic after his battle along and against Luxus, he can't make the Lightning Dragon Roar, since that needs that he has to learn lightning dragon slayer magic to it's full extent first, but the similarities between it and the fire dragon roar is so big that he could concentrate some lightning to power up his fire, just like a volcano also spills out lightning during eruption.

As far as I can remember there's no contradiction here, since no one has a innate attunement to a certain kind of magic. Natsu, Lucy and Happy, learned some transformation magic with Mira, though Natsu isn't a standard fire mage, he can also use some of Macao's fire. Makarov has at least 3 kinds of different magic, as do Luxus, and through reequip, Erza could control basically any element. Makao's son said he went to school to learn fire magic. And at his fight against Zancrow, Makarov Stated that by suppressing his dragon slayer power Natsu could absorb another kind of power (God Slayer Magic), and even comment that it's something quite difficult to do during a battle, to me this basically establish the principle for someone to learn another totally different kind of magic, if Natsu had the proper training on God Slayer magic, he should be even able to use it all along, but he got just a lucky shot on this mechanics.

To me all of this means that at least in Natsu's case, he could use a downgraded version os lightning dragon slayer magic to incorporate ti to his own magic by the fact that he already learned how to deal, on a lesser degree, with new elements plus the similarities with his own magic.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/99758498/23

This line from Frosh is making me wonder since last week if he is talking about Fairy Tail's 3 Dragon Slayers or it is about Sabertooth's also having the same three dragon slayers, and in it's case, Sky Dragon is considered as strong as them.

exacta
November 13, 2011, 10:25 PM

There is a inconsistency. Natsu isn't supposed to be able to eat Laxus' lightning, he got sick the first time he tried. And you can't say Etherion is that different from the lightning when Mashima compared the nature of the power up to it. Natsu has not grown in strength since the beginning of this manga. Every time he was confronted by a OP villain he won with a powerup. Until the hole is filled, lightning-fire is a plothole.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

That's not an inconsistency.....thats just different arcs in a manga. I wouldn't care if Mashima started focusing on other characters, that has nothing to do with consistency, plus Sasuke and Naruto are both integral to the plot. Theres no plothole if Sasuke gets more attention in one arc. That just fits with the story of the arc.

I'm not expecting the most deep story in the world dude. I just want a good one. Fairy Tail's fights usually end up with the good guy always winning with friendship, which sometimes ruins them, so its really the story that has me still reading it. I don't care what Mashima's target audience is man, and I already explained why I don't think its primarily aimed at young people. All I said is the one thing i didn't like about this chapter was the plot hole with lightning fire. Why should I lower my expectations from Mashima? They aren't unrealistically high at all.

Jesus, I didn't rip on the chapter or anything. I'm not some giant pessimist. I never compared mangas to American literature dude, its a comic. I didn't start off going on a rant. I'm dropping this topic, this debate is going nowhere, its just back and forth and back and forth. I never post this much on mangahelpers in one day, or in one thread lol. I complained about one inconsistency, not several.

elitefox
November 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
The chapter was quite interesting. I was actually a bit shocked in the begining of the chapter, because of Natsu being so weak against Max who was next to useless before the timeskip. And Natsu was the closest to S class in new FT generation. So I would say even Mirajane and Elza will not be that great as they were before the timeskip. Still it was quite interesting to see Natsu using combo of Fire and Lightning DS Magic. It might be quite a development for him.;) He can develop both, because it compliments his Fire DS Magic and it isn't that far in origin from his own type of DS Magic.
Then Gildarts actually surprised me. To see him not only give up on being a Master, but actually run away was a bit shocking, even though it was pretty funny.:) The thing is that FT is very weak now and he ran away without supporting his comrades. Of course there are still Luxus, Elza and Mirajane apart from Makarov, but still even with Luxus and those two S-class they are quite weak. They must go through at least two or three Arcs to get more or less to the level of the strongest Guilds.
Makarov being 3rd and 6th Master at the same time really looks funny.:)
And finally Polushka is Grandine? That's actually quite a developmant. Then the theory of Natsu and others being real Dragons looks quite plausible now.:)

Now I wonder if he can use the black flames too, its more interesting than lightning ^_^

Ninja_Pirate
November 14, 2011, 02:33 AM
What i believe is ... Natsu ate the lightning for the first time and got sick for 2 days straight (as what happy told lucy) ... However the second time Laxus gave it to natsu.. its more of like since it was already a dragon lacrima that imparts laxus his power.. he gave the small part to Natsu....... however for black flames ... he just took out what he ate.. that s also he used a trick to it by making his magic power zero level (more of like vomiting)... he did'nt do anything like that with laxus lightning ... it was more of diffused with his powers... and tht's the reason he cud try it later and can't try anything else he has eaten till date...

Laxus father wants him back to take out that lacrima for his own benefits... so i guess that power is transferable... however natsu can't use it effectively bcoz his body is not used to it...

Here... http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/245/18 .. natsu was also astonished that he cud use it... he asked "did you give this to me" .. so its pretty much transferring the power (need to stop .. i guess i m being redundant :D)

Tengou
November 14, 2011, 05:09 AM
I've read a lot of explanations about how Natsu is capable of suddenly reproducing the Lightning Flame Dragon techniques imparted to him by Laxus, but I feel that people may be overthinking things. Natsu is a mage, with the specialty fire dragon slayer. He can use other magic if he wants, as one or two omakes have clearly demonstrated. He just chooses not to for the most part, but those little side stories still imply that Natsu is well capable of learning any magic he would put his mind to. Natsu is a bruiser; he loves to fight, so naturally he will focus on his own, naturally destructive fire-based magic. I see the Lightning Fire dragon techniques more as an 'Achievement Unlocked' thing.

There's also the fact that Natsu has eaten, and been hit by, Laxus' lightning magic who knows how many times. It's not so crazy to think that he may eventually get the hang of using it naturally, although maybe not exclusively from fire. It may be likened to the way ninjutsu works in the universe of Naruto, where high level shinobi may unlock secondary and tertiary elemental affinities besides their main one through training or the natural process.

Furthermore, lightning is - like fire - a destructive element. Its properties will lend itself well to combining with fire on a purely offensive basis. Plus, I think that after all those near-death experiences, Natsu deserves a second element to play with. I'm all for him gaining more variation in his attacks and techniques, and hope that the training arc that seems about to be set up will let him increase his magic power reserves, his mastery of fire and lightning, and most of all, his basic fighting abilities. Let's be honest, Natsu was bound to improve in some way sometime. He's gotten visibly stronger through all his battles, but regardless of his growth he's almost always needed power-ups to beat his final opponent of the arc. The reason why I liked his fight with Zancrow is because there I could see Natsu explore his limits, and break them by himself. He may eventually naturally unlock this enigmatic Dragon Force we have seen a few samples of, which I think will be a huge thing when it happens, since it kind of reminds me of, say, a Super Saiya-Jin.

That said, I enjoyed seeing Natsu have trouble with Max. It gives me hope for the coming arcs, because now Mashima has the opportunity to involve a much wider cast in Fairy Tail's big fights with powerful guilds.

As for the main event of the chapter, the whole Polyushka/Grandine thing, I'll withhold my thoughts on the matter until next chapters offer some clarity on the matter. The thought however intrigues me, and I approve of this plot point. Dragons, taking human form? Layla Heartfilia's disappearance along with the dragons? If Layla was a dragon, what element did she have? Light?

PS, the thought of Zeref being an Acnologia taught darkness/shadow/death dragon slayer intrigues me.

Quantized
November 14, 2011, 11:22 AM
I've read a lot of explanations about how Natsu is capable of suddenly reproducing the Lightning Flame Dragon techniques imparted to him by Laxus, but I feel that people may be overthinking things. Natsu is a mage, with the specialty fire dragon slayer. He can use other magic if he wants, as one or two omakes have clearly demonstrated. He just chooses not to for the most part, but those little side stories still imply that Natsu is well capable of learning any magic he would put his mind to. Natsu is a bruiser; he loves to fight, so naturally he will focus on his own, naturally destructive fire-based magic. I see the Lightning Fire dragon techniques more as an 'Achievement Unlocked' thing.

There's also the fact that Natsu has eaten, and been hit by, Laxus' lightning magic who knows how many times. It's not so crazy to think that he may eventually get the hang of using it naturally, although maybe not exclusively from fire. It may be likened to the way ninjutsu works in the universe of Naruto, where high level shinobi may unlock secondary and tertiary elemental affinities besides their main one through training or the natural process.

Furthermore, lightning is - like fire - a destructive element. Its properties will lend itself well to combining with fire on a purely offensive basis. Plus, I think that after all those near-death experiences, Natsu deserves a second element to play with. I'm all for him gaining more variation in his attacks and techniques, and hope that the training arc that seems about to be set up will let him increase his magic power reserves, his mastery of fire and lightning, and most of all, his basic fighting abilities. Let's be honest, Natsu was bound to improve in some way sometime. He's gotten visibly stronger through all his battles, but regardless of his growth he's almost always needed power-ups to beat his final opponent of the arc. The reason why I liked his fight with Zancrow is because there I could see Natsu explore his limits, and break them by himself. He may eventually naturally unlock this enigmatic Dragon Force we have seen a few samples of, which I think will be a huge thing when it happens, since it kind of reminds me of, say, a Super Saiya-Jin.

That said, I enjoyed seeing Natsu have trouble with Max. It gives me hope for the coming arcs, because now Mashima has the opportunity to involve a much wider cast in Fairy Tail's big fights with powerful guilds.

As for the main event of the chapter, the whole Polyushka/Grandine thing, I'll withhold my thoughts on the matter until next chapters offer some clarity on the matter. The thought however intrigues me, and I approve of this plot point. Dragons, taking human form? Layla Heartfilia's disappearance along with the dragons? If Layla was a dragon, what element did she have? Light?

PS, the thought of Zeref being an Acnologia taught darkness/shadow/death dragon slayer intrigues me.

Can see what you mean that some of the members who were left behind actually could fight alongside the main cast is a really interesting thought indeed.
What I got to ponder about though, is whether Natsu, Lucy, Wendy and Gray will grow immensely stronger soon by visiting Grandine/Porlyusica as the chapter said at the end; "Could this chance encounter lead Natsu and their friends into a grand future?"

Assuming 2 things;
Porlyusica is Grandine.
Porlyusica will train them or help them getting stronger somehow, but I don't think it'll be easy and we'll get a lot of "I hate humans humour moments" :p

I can't see it be anything else, the whole purpose for why they're there is to get stronger afterall. Porlyusica has been with Fairy Tail all along, why should something else change by their visit, than their request...?

Another possibility could be that she reveals details about the dragons.. but why is Gray included then..?

Seems interesting, I can't wait to see what happens :)

Casthiel
November 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
Well about the teory of natsu being old and that zeref know him I think natsu is older that its look how about this http://www.mangareader.net/135-7223-14/fairy-tail/chapter-108.html

kkck
November 14, 2011, 01:21 PM
Ok, there are 3 remarkable events in this chapter really worth commenting on.

The first one is laxus's reinstatement as a member of fairy tail. It is something many were expecting and it made sense since he effectively saved the live of natsu and co, more than enough to make up for his past mistake IMO. Now, that in itself is not the remarkable part of this but rather his attitude when it finally happened. He seemed somewhat reluctant or perhaps remourseful (not sure what the word I am looking for is but you guys get my drift). Now, this would imply laxus has been doing something he should not have during all this time for the most part or perhaps that he has something else to do and being a fairy tail member is not quite viable at the moment. Anyways, at the moment it would seem like whatever laxus was involved with has something to do with his dad. Odds are he got involved although perhaps not as an ally to him but in a similar fashion to gazille as a spy. Or perhaps he just got involved in order to find out his dads deal and make a decision after that. Anyways, we might finally get to see what raven tail is like. This is bound to be interesting as without oracion 6 and with only a depowered and inactive remnant of grimmoire heart ( zeref is bound to be doing a bit in the background though) ivan must have had an ideal chance to get his raven to the top of the underworld. Odds are there is a new trinity of dark guilds with raven tail, tartarus and a new unnamed one.

Now, the second remarkable feature of the chapter is natsu's ability to use lightning fire dragon powers. We have seen natsu eat 3 different kinds of magic before, ethereon, the flame of rebuke and the fire gods flame yet he never got to keep any of them. He always got a temporary boost which he subsequently lost. Now, not only natsu got to keep the lightning but also he got a significantly higher amount of power than what he did before which is strange to say the least. Now, there are two reasons for which I could imagine this happened. He still has some of laxus magic within him (which is unlikely IMO) or it is specifically because of the dragon lachrima which had an effect on him. Still, if this is because of the dragon lachrima which laxus uses then odds are natsu at some point will indeed lose his lightning powers. Still, this fire lightning dragon thing is bound to be a bit of a plot point. Just throwing this out there but if laxus loses his own dragon lachrima (on which ivan had an interest on) the lightning powers natsu has could potentially be the means for laxus to regain his power and for natsu to permanently lose this boost.

Now, the third remarkable feature is the fact that polischuka is grandine. This has very severe implications in many levels. For the first one, we might actually get to see the DS making contact with the dragons which has been a plot point since the start. For another it further implies that there is a deep connection between fairy tail, zeref and the dragons. We have had many reasons to suspect the deep connection for a while now (in particular since zeref was found at tenro island) however with this we have a "the plot thickens" scenario. Another thing to wonder is whether makarov knows polischuka is a dragon and why he would keep the secret if he did. Also, odds are she has been in fairy tail for a while, longer than what makarov has been in fairy tail. Odds are she is also actually guarding whatever is in fairy tail's vault.

nichendrix
November 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
Something I noticed re-reading the chapter is that Natsu doen't seem to be able to use lightning dragon roar at his will, since before doing it, he concentrated magical power and anounced: Mode Lightning Fire Dragon, and after the roar stepped out of that mode, with his magical power drained.

ca12nag3
November 14, 2011, 04:55 PM
Something I noticed re-reading the chapter is that Natsu doen't seem to be able to use lightning dragon roar at his will, since before doing it, he concentrated magical power and anounced: Mode Lightning Fire Dragon, and after the roar stepped out of that mode, with his magical power drained.

uhm so because he didnt use lightning dragon roar? what would that mean? He doesnt always use the same moves. I dont think that means anything for or against him being able to do that. I dont think he can do lightning roars tho but thats just what i think ^^"got no evidence for or against it.

kkck
November 14, 2011, 05:28 PM

I don't think natsu ever tried using just lightning magic. Why would he do that? I do think using lightning flame strains him quite a bit though. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

elitefox
November 14, 2011, 07:58 PM

If lightning and fire is similar then what about the so called god's flame, its more or less fire also in nature, this should be closer than any kind of element he must have

hoeru
November 14, 2011, 08:04 PM
If lightning and fire is similar then what about the so called god's flame, its more or less fire also in nature, this should be closer than any kind of element he must have

Maybe he will use it in the future. Who knows? Natsu was all excited about that thunder-fire mode even before he was frozen inside Fairy Sphere so it's only natural to use that one first when he's got the chance to do so...

BTW... Rebuke and God Slayer came from enemies - Thunder element Dragon Slayer from a friend. Maybe that's the big deal about it.

kkck
November 14, 2011, 10:05 PM
Well, the issue with natsu reproducing the god slayer flame is that it is something a dragon cannot produce at all. For natsu to produce the gods flame he would have to become a god slayer so to speak, an ability innately different from his own. For natsu to use the flame of rebuke he would have to learn how to use that magic too. At least with the lightning it is supposedly based on a power a dragon (which natsu imitates) can use. Still, as for why natsu could use the lightning flame I will argue that it is because of the dragon lachrima within laxus. Some of his magic must have remained inside of natsu so to speak. Otherwise natsu would just have to eat the power of other dragon slayers in order to keep adding them to his own and I kinda doubt that is how it works (specially since we know the last time natsu ate lightning things were not so good for him).

MechR
November 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
Re: Natsu's lightning powerup, it's possible Mashima is building on the "One Magic" concept introduced by Hades. Might also end up explaining how one of the Sabertooth DS's could eat metal like Gazille. (Or I might just be giving Mashima too much credit here. Whatever, we'll see.)

exacta
November 15, 2011, 12:01 AM
Maybe he will use it in the future. Who knows? Natsu was all excited about that thunder-fire mode even before he was frozen inside Fairy Sphere so it's only natural to use that one first when he's got the chance to do so...

BTW... Rebuke and God Slayer came from enemies - Thunder element Dragon Slayer from a friend. Maybe that's the big deal about it.

Gerard was no more an enemy than Laxus was when he gave that powerup. Both are reformed antagonists.

elitefox
November 15, 2011, 12:54 AM
Well, the issue with natsu reproducing the god slayer flame is that it is something a dragon cannot produce at all. For natsu to produce the gods flame he would have to become a god slayer so to speak, an ability innately different from his own. For natsu to use the flame of rebuke he would have to learn how to use that magic too. At least with the lightning it is supposedly based on a power a dragon (which natsu imitates) can use. Still, as for why natsu could use the lightning flame I will argue that it is because of the dragon lachrima within laxus. Some of his magic must have remained inside of natsu so to speak. Otherwise natsu would just have to eat the power of other dragon slayers in order to keep adding them to his own and I kinda doubt that is how it works (specially since we know the last time natsu ate lightning things were not so good for him).

But still, lightning ds is a different magic from fire ds, at least I think... because if Natsu eats every ds power then there might be a concept of dragon king or something and Natsu might be firing etherion dragon roar :^_^

nichendrix
November 15, 2011, 01:56 AM
I don't think natsu ever tried using just lightning magic. Why would he do that? I do think using lightning flame strains him quite a bit though. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

uhm so because he didnt use lightning dragon roar? what would that mean? He doesnt always use the same moves. I dont think that means anything for or against him being able to do that. I dont think he can do lightning roars tho but thats just what i think ^^"got no evidence for or against it.

I forgot the word fire after Lightning, what I wanted to tell is that he stated that he was entenring in Mode Lightning Fire Dragon, before using the roar, after dat got his power drained. Lucy even states that it's nothing that he can use already on a fight.

So I don't really think that far fetched that he finally learned to incorporate some other ellements to his fire, this is why I don't really get what all this fuss about he being given an ability most magicians from the upper tier of the series already have to a greater extent. It's not like she was a lightning dragon slayer now, it's just improved fire.

ca12nag3
November 15, 2011, 07:54 AM
I forgot the word fire after Lightning, what I wanted to tell is that he stated that he was entenring in Mode Lightning Fire Dragon, before using the roar, after dat got his power drained. Lucy even states that it's nothing that he can use already on a fight.

So I don't really think that far fetched that he finally learned to incorporate some other ellements to his fire, this is why I don't really get what all this fuss about he being given an ability most magicians from the upper tier of the series already have to a greater extent. It's not like she was a lightning dragon slayer now, it's just improved fire.

Im not sure how it all works anyways, i dont see how people can fuss about this stuff at this time either. Im sure later down the road things about the dragons and the slayers will be explained. And if Grandine shows herself it might be sooner rather then later.

1 thing i do think is so about Laxus is that his innitial magic is Lightning, and that the dragon lachrima made it lightning-dragon. As we saw Laxus as a young boy prior to him getting the lachrima (i think) he already wears lightning symbols etc. Im not sure if this means anything in relation to Natsu getting that lightning-flame magic i dont know.
Perhaps it is the lachrima that caused this or maybe its something else entirely.

Ifrit
November 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
I didn't like the idea of Lightning-fire dragon thing....but I don't know why some made a big deal of it..that it's not possible for a mage to have more than one element....

If you just go back in the series and read some of the mages cards....some of them said...."Various elements or magic" just like Makarov for example, so a mage can know more than one magic...but for Natsu fire is his main element...Ultear uses Arc of Time...but can also use Ice molding magic just like her mother....

Quantized
November 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
Im not sure how it all works anyways, i dont see how people can fuss about this stuff at this time either. Im sure later down the road things about the dragons and the slayers will be explained. And if Grandine shows herself it might be sooner rather then later.

1 thing i do think is so about Laxus is that his innitial magic is Lightning, and that the dragon lachrima made it lightning-dragon. As we saw Laxus as a young boy prior to him getting the lachrima (i think) he already wears lightning symbols etc. Im not sure if this means anything in relation to Natsu getting that lightning-flame magic i dont know.
Perhaps it is the lachrima that caused this or maybe its something else entirely.

I find this statement absolutely interesting and think you're completely right on the mark here.
Why show something "new" about dragon slayers (and Natsu) and in the very same chapter we're being introduced to Grandine who was under our very nose this whole time. But, same chapter...? Too much of a coincidence to me, it has to be Mashima building up the scene for us to learn even more about dragons, dragon slayers and their magic.

We were also introduced to two other dragon slayers recently, as late as last chapter, is it just me, or are dragons and dragon slayers just, really, reeally, reeeeeeeaally much in focus after the time skip...?

That we might learn why Natsu suddenly can use lightning might very well be revealed in the next few chapters by Grandine, I agree. They will probably spend a lot of effort to get her to acknowledge them, and possible, and I find it likely, that Lucy out of curiousity might ask Grandine why Natsu suddenly could use lightning.

Who knows, but there sure as heck is a lot of focus on dragon slayers and dragons now.. :o

kkck
November 15, 2011, 04:08 PM
This chapter has me wondering.... would it be possible to use several dragon lachrima at once? It would not be so strange that in the future we see a fake dragon slayer using double elements if that is possible lol. given what we saw with natsu it would seem evident that a decent bit of power is required beforehand (as combining elements seems to use up a bunch of magic). I wonder what combinations would be possible though.

Thorvardur
November 15, 2011, 09:46 PM
My theory is that all people in this story who can use magic have the ability to use nearly all magic that can be tought to them but they can only have one or two or maybe more natural abilities/elements depends on how powerfull the mage is.

Just like Natsu's natural power is Fire and Gray's Natural power is Ice and on and on. So Natsu is extremely skilled Fire user who makes, creates and breaths powerful fire with low cost of his power/mana/chakra/whatever but if he uses other kinds of magics which he has no experience on using the cost is way to much and the effect not nearly as effective as his own fire power.

So I think with adding a lightning to his fire he adds a bit more damage. Lets say 200% more damage, but the cost of using it is 800% more than just using fire magic. so it's powerfull but really expensive and situational.

kkck
November 15, 2011, 09:57 PM
I don't think grey's power can be considered innate to him. Remember his flashback at garuna island? We saw that when he met ur he was not capable of any magic at all. In this regard his magic is not natural but rather an acquired trait to training. Perhaps the same thing can be said of the vast mayority of mages. In turn, we do have reason to believe some mages are naturally born with a magical ability which can be developed through training. Erza was never taught how to use her magic and wendy implied people can be born with magic in the edoras arc. I do think anyone can learn any sort of magic and use it with no extra penalty (this is not hunter hunter). We have actually see a lot of people doing that. Hades is the most obvious example, urtear, laxus, makarov are know users of other magics too. Gerard and brain use many magics too.

Quantized
November 16, 2011, 02:36 AM
My theory is that all people in this story who can use magic have the ability to use nearly all magic that can be tought to them but they can only have one or two or maybe more natural abilities/elements depends on how powerfull the mage is.

Just like Natsu's natural power is Fire and Gray's Natural power is Ice and on and on. So Natsu is extremely skilled Fire user who makes, creates and breaths powerful fire with low cost of his power/mana/chakra/whatever but if he uses other kinds of magics which he has no experience on using the cost is way to much and the effect not nearly as effective as his own fire power.

So I think with adding a lightning to his fire he adds a bit more damage. Lets say 200% more damage, but the cost of using it is 800% more than just using fire magic. so it's powerfull but really expensive and situational.

Quite interesting theory :)
Was thinking that possible Natsu will not focus on 100% other elements, but more like always mixing it with fire. So fire remains his top school magic, but when he uses techniques like these it could be 70% fire, 30% lightning or 80% fire, 20% wind.

Lightning could give extra powerful and fast attacks, wind could give him huge fire blows!

So, depending on the element he mixes, it attunes his fire for what kind of attack he needs. In this case, I LOVE the idea! What I dislike is if Natsu only learn lightning so he can't switch combo in fights, we see too many of the same techniques when he fights.

I think if he only needs to learn to add 20-30% onto his fire magic of any kind of extra element, then it's not gonna effect him so much, once he has learned to master it :)
At first it's probably exhausting him a lot, as shown in the chapter, indeed. :)

Jorge D. Dragon
November 16, 2011, 07:12 AM
I'll throw my two cents to the talk about the posibility of learning other types of magic.
Here we can see explanation on how magic was born and is in FT world:
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/233/6
http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/233/7
So, I don't understand why a mage can't learn several types of magic. As we know Makarov, Luxus, Hades, Gerar, Cero knew several types of magic, so why not Natsu? If he wants he can learn them. The thing is to what extent.

Schabrak
November 16, 2011, 07:31 AM
Because he folllows his parents will and has become a full fire DS, concentrating on it, getting stronger at his favorable kind of magic? As mentioned in the pages before, Natsu can and has used other kinds of magic, it's just that we already have about a hundred other mages to show these off. Thank Mashima for doing that.^^

ca12nag3
November 16, 2011, 03:53 PM
Because he folllows his parents will and has become a full fire DS, concentrating on it, getting stronger at his favorable kind of magic? As mentioned in the pages before, Natsu can and has used other kinds of magic, it's just that we already have about a hundred other mages to show these off. Thank Mashima for doing that.^^

And not just that, each mage specializes in his or her magic typ. This is what makes 1 unique and powerfull. Using many different typs wouldnt help since you need to train it. Look at Gray and Natsu both trained their specialization to the max. It takes effort to become good even in your favorable magic typ.

What we see others do is a bit of this or that. Evergreen knows from experience a bit of Frieds magic and was able to rewrite the seal on the ship so she and Elfman could pass through. But she did say it was just what she saw from Fried so its a handy tool no more no less.

Using full battlemagic of a other typ then your own might just lose you the fight since your not experienced enough in it.

Think thats it about magic typs? ^^

Oh and still the lightning fire looks great, cant wait for it animated :D

Hrathgrath
November 19, 2011, 01:38 AM
I was wondering about that. How is he able to use lightning dragonslayer magic? Is it actually lightning dragonslayer or just lightning magic. Think it's possible that all of the times he's eaten Laxus's lightning has given him an "understanding" as to how to use lightning dragonslayer, and thats the reason it drains him so much, is because it's still new to him?