PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Art Evolution

Josef K.
November 08, 2011, 12:47 PM
One of the first things I asked before starting Vinland Saga was about the art, randomly I saw some more recent chapters of it and the art was amazing, it really was vivid and clean, and so I started it but got confused when the art at the beginning did not live up to my expectations. So as I said I asked and I was told the art improves as the story progresses.

What do you think about Vinland Saga and this aspect of it, are fans turned off by the art in the beginning or do they read for the really interesting historic story? What can you say about the art evolution in this manga? Did it help get it up there among the more popular ones? How would you say that art evolution went?

baboysai
November 09, 2011, 10:34 AM
I was never turned off by the art the first time I picked up Vinland. It wasn't a problem for me because the story was really awesome to begin with. I did not get distracted with it at all.

I didn't even notice the gradual change in art quality. I guess it was more subtle for me than anything. Because I thought it was good and unique from the start. :/

Josef K.
November 10, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hm really though the current ones, from what I have seen, since I have to catch up, are really epic and really well the right word would be cleaner, I do not know if it is the scan group or what but I do believe a visual representation would be better, I just compare the first and current chapter. :D

mrsticky005
November 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
I actually have to agree with baboysai

The art in Vinland Saga has been damn good from start to current chapter.
Has it improved? Yes but it's like going from gold to platinum.

jackalj
December 26, 2011, 03:05 AM
i didnt really see the change either. if you just read the manga from the beginning to the end and you dont start at the end, then you dont even notice the change.

Look at Berserk the art style of Kentaro Miura has improved over the chapters from berserk, and i think its a good thing and an ?obvious thing? since these people are drawing their manga for some time now, so their art gets better.

sir_arles
March 21, 2012, 10:35 AM
I think VS always had good art. The first chapters are just awesome. In fact, I remember I couldn't pinpoint when it passed from weekly to monthly.

ashher
March 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
I personally agree with Joseph. The artwork certainly wasn't as good in the beginning as its now. I believe the change was obvious when the series was made monthly from weekly...that clearly helped the mangaka art-wise. Though i must say i don't like the design of adult thorfinn...perhaps the mangaka wanted to make him as dull as any slave, opposite to the seafaring flamboyent vikings.

baboysai
March 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
Well I am expecting a makeover for Thorfinn after the slave days are over of course. Something badass.

Crude
May 22, 2012, 12:26 PM
I have yet to read Vinland Saga (I plan to start reading it when the volumes are officially released in English), but I don't think the art was bad at all in the beginning of the series. The latest chapters look fantastic, but the beginning of the series still had some pretty great art. Like mrsticky005 said it's like the art went from gold to platinum.

wintercry
May 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
I have yet to read Vinland Saga (I plan to start reading it when the volumes are officially released in English), but I don't think the art was bad at all in the beginning of the series. The latest chapters look fantastic, but the beginning of the series still had some pretty great art. Like mrsticky005 said it's like the art went from gold to platinum.

If I were you I'd start reading it already rather than hoping for something that may not come.

Crude
June 12, 2012, 04:03 AM
Why wouldn't it be? It's got great art and it's about VIKINGS!! I can sort of see Darkhorse publishing it, it seems like the kind of series they'd do.