PDA

View Full Version : Summer The Baseball Thread

Pages : [1] 2

NeoShweaty
January 09, 2007, 12:36 AM
Any fans of the old ball game here? I have to say, that of all the sports, i follow this one the closest. Since the season is so far away, how about some favorite teams and/or some favorite baseball moments

Let me preface this by saying i was born and raised in the Bronx. My favorite team is without a doubt the New York Mets. Man, what a rollercoaster the playoffs were, particularly the NLCS. I saw game seven in my dorm's common room with a bunch of people. That top of the ninth homerun absolutely crushed me. One of my favorite baseball moments, that i was alive for was the mets making the world series. I became a fan in 1999 and saw the team blossom (only to be crushed by the fuckin yankees) and make the playoffs. Man, Al Leiter, Mike Piazza, Edgardo Alfonso, John Olerud, etc. What a team. Hopefully the new mets have what it takes to make it back. Last year they definitely did. Let's see how they retool in the offseason in order to make a run.

Gold Knight
January 09, 2007, 02:29 AM
I've been a Chicago Cubs fan because I used to live up there in Illinois for a few months near Wrigley Field. But these last few years have been especially hard on me as a fan and I didn't even follow last year's season. I did watch the World Series though, and I HATE the Cardinals, so to say the least I didn't really want them to win at all. Ugh.

The only other team I keep tabs on would be the Atlanta Braves; they're my local area's favorite team and the one that the newspapers follow all the time here.

Venom65437
January 09, 2007, 03:05 AM
A Mets fan.... I'm a Braves fan.....

Too bad we won't pay to keep anyone anymore. I'm not stupid... Andruw Jones will go to the highest bidder before the deadline.

NeoShweaty
January 09, 2007, 02:05 PM
A Mets fan.... I'm a Braves fan.....

OHHH man, you have no idea how much i hate the braves. There were just too many times that the mets were that close and the braves came with their tomahawk chop and destroyed us. Luckily, we kept them in the rear view last year.

GK, you hate the cards? YOU hate the cards? ahem, well, i hate their catcher more than anything. IT WAS GAME SEVEN IN THE TOP OF THE NINTH AND HE GETS A HOME RUN?!?!?!? Sadly, im still bitter about last year.

Being a cubs fan is tough though, Prior, Wood and Zambrano should have been the lights out combo that would lead them to the promised land, however, Prior and Wood... well, ill say this, Zambrano cant do it on his own.

Gold Knight
January 10, 2007, 03:03 AM
I don't think I've ever gotten over the Steve Bartman incident - I had never believed that the Cubs were cursed, that is, until that game. We were well on our way to winning that series, and bam, all of a sudden everything goes wrong. I've never been more disappointed in a sports team in my life.

I had been an avid baseball fan until that playoff game, too. Now I just follow the sport sporadically. I'm totally a football guy now.

And every time one of our pitchers get hurt, I think "goat curse."

And sorry Neo, but as a Cubs fan (and especially as a former Southern Illinois resident, surrounded by annoying Cards fans) I think I have more of a case to hate the Cards than you do, heh. I hate that they've been so successful this decade.

blasta
January 10, 2007, 03:18 AM
Im from Canada so I'm naturally a Blue Jays fan! Blue Jays have been doing lots of signings these past years and I'm excited about the upcoming season for my Jays. They just signed Vernon Wells to a big deal and got the Big Hurt (Frank Thomas) who was helping the Oakland A's last year so much even though he getting old.

American League is fun and I always get to see the Yankees and Red Sox because Jays play them a lot and I also like that I get to see the Big Papi, Jeter etc.. a bunch of times. I don't get to watch much National League games though so barely get to see the Braves, Cubs, and Mets but I still watch highlights, news, and look at mlb site to see whats going on around both leagues.

Venom65437
January 10, 2007, 03:45 AM
And Neo, you don't know how much I hate the Mets!!!

Chipper Jones is my favorite player by the way.

Either way, hopefully our upgraded bullpen will perform and we can have a chance this year. We blew almost 30 saves last year!!! 30!!! Thank God we have a real closer now. My only question is why we didn't pull the trigger sooner last year. Oh well...

NeoShweaty
January 10, 2007, 12:13 PM
GK, i guess you have a better case for hating the cards, lol. Still though, i never bought the Bartman thing. It was just like the red sox in 86 with one exception, the bartman foul ball didnt end the game. They had a chance to finish the series in that game and in the next, so i see it as more of a cubs collapse rather than the curse at work. Then again, after years of similar stuff, i can see why you are more of a football fan. I mean, the saying "on any given sunday" (and what preceeds or follows it) always applies. Baseball is more about the better team over all.

Blasta, i always saw the blue jays as being seriously unlikely by being placed in the same division with the red sox and the yankees, but if last year was any indication of how things are going, than they have a good shot at the wild card, at least because the Red Sox arent what they used to be and i hope all the players on the yankees team get injured....

Venom:
Chipper jones is your favorite player? The man who named his kid shea? lol, man i hope the braves dont get back on their horses this year. No matter how good the mets teams were, i never thought the mets could beat the braves in the playoffs. Just something about their rivalry. Then again, Armando Benitez was responsible for alot of our loses at key moments. I even think that had the mets met the braves in the 2000 playoffs that they would have lost (although, they couldnt have done any worse than the year before, what with Rogers walking in the winning run in the NLCS).

Venom65437
January 10, 2007, 05:18 PM
It's all about Chipper man... he's really got "it" against the Mets. But he's also just a great player period. I love him!

Gold Knight
January 12, 2007, 04:46 AM
Just promise me one thing guys, when the season starts do the really ugly trash-talking in private messages, heh.

Anyway, Neo, whether it's the Bartman incident or just an overall Cubs collapse, I was pretty disappointed either way. That was the year I thought the Cubs had all the cards to finally make the World Series at least. It just made me sick. REALLY sick. That was also around the same time I broke up the second time with the first serious girlfriend I've ever had, so needless to say the memories are nothing but bad.

But that's one team I won't stop being a fan of, because they've given me so many good memories. Otherwise I definitely would have become a Braves fan by now, heh.

NeoShweaty
January 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
Damn, 2003 sucked for you then GK. I see where you're coming from. Dont worry about trash talk. Im not enough of a rabid fan to vent frustrations on a fellow baseball fan. At best, it will be a little fan gamesmenship.

Venom65437
January 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
Well, I'll try to contain myself.... but Phil and I have talked plenty of sports... so, well... I get a little fired up you could say.

I really hate the Mets.

NeoShweaty
January 12, 2007, 03:10 PM
Well, I'll try to contain myself.... but Phil and I have talked plenty of sports... so, well... I get a little fired up you could say.

I really hate the Mets.

Hate all you want, but you'll be doing it from behind us in the standings. :p

Venom65437
January 12, 2007, 05:17 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sadly, I'm afraid I agree with you. Unless our bullpen really steps up... and we keep Andruw (we won't.) But who knows. It's so on, bitch! :p

Binky
January 20, 2007, 11:46 AM
Well, despite my nationality I'm actually a huge baseball fan, the Mariners being my team of choice and I've actually visited Seattle and managed to watch some games against Boston and Toronto while I was there. I've followed baseball since about 2001 (Yes, this may be why I like the Mariners, glory-hunting syndrome :amuse) when it was regularly on every Sunday at 2-3am, with a disproportionate amount of Mariners games.

My pet gripe in baseball terms however is whining about the fact that Jim McCormick, who admittedly I only took an interest in because of his birthplace and the fact he's got the same name as me, is not in the Hall of Fame despite being the youngest pitcher ever to achieve 250 wins plus countless other achievements, it annoys me.

If you're interested, HERE (http://binktopia.net/index.php?showtopic=269)'s my spiel in his favour.

EDIT: Incidentally and psuedo-on-topic, are there any baseball Manga or anime, I've wanted to watch or read something sportsy? I know there're American Football ones out there, but I'm a Rugby player, no way I can overcome that ingrained bias, so baseball'd be cool. ;)

Venom65437
March 29, 2007, 04:09 PM
You're probably right that he should be in, but sports Hall of Fames are a joke really. We could write a whole novel on players that should be in... players that maybe SHOULDN'T, and how flawed the process is in general...[br]Posted on: January 20, 2007, 05:09:46 PM_________________________________________________So just out of curiosity, with the season coming up, anyone like fantasy baseball? I have never done it, but I did play fantasy football and it was pretty entertaining. Anyway, if there are some people interested, we could have our own little league at Yahoo, I'd set it up and everything.

Any takers?
-
Ok, so I'm taking it no one is interested. That's ok, looking forward to the start of the season, only a few weeks away!
-
The season starts Sunday! Whose excited??

PaperYomiko
April 02, 2007, 07:03 PM
The season starts Sunday! Whose excited??

I am!
First game was tonight...except my cable wasn't working, so I only saw the ninth inning, and it was a disaster, 1-7 :darn

Venom65437
April 04, 2007, 12:05 AM
Well we're 1-0! Atlanta will surely go undefeated this year! :D

PaperYomiko
April 05, 2007, 12:12 AM
undefeated, huh? I'd buy you a beer if that were the case :XD

well we won tonight, 7-1, so balance has been restored in the universe.

Gold Knight
April 05, 2007, 12:19 AM
Same here. Cubs are 1-1 right now and after the lame game Zambrano had against the Reds in losing 5-1 on Monday, looks like we got a better pitcher in Ted Lilly right now, he schooled the Reds 4-1 tonight.

PaperYomiko, who's your team?

PaperYomiko
April 05, 2007, 12:27 AM
Red Sox XD

Good luck with your season, btw, you cubs fans deserve it!

Uchiha Slayer
April 06, 2007, 06:57 AM
Well we're 1-0! Atlanta will surely go undefeated this year! :D

Plus we bot a better bullpin!!! No more losses down the streach, HOPEFULLY.

Venom65437
April 06, 2007, 12:59 PM
3-0 beeyotches!!! I'm telling you 162-0 all the way!

It's such a relief that we have good pitching in the bullpen, and we don't have to stress out about that! The best part is were winning while Chipper and Andruw haven't played really well offensively yet.

Uchiha Slayer
April 06, 2007, 04:08 PM
That freaking Brian McCain is the truth for Atlanta. The division will not be easy to clench. But this year we're going to get it.

PaperYomiko
April 07, 2007, 11:29 AM
now we're 2-2 :darn I hate being tied...
and it's too bad cause Wakefield pitched well, but didn't get any run support, which seems to be a common thing for him >.<
I really wanted him to get a win for his opener, too...

but the good news is that Matsuzaka appears to be living up to all the hype. He pitched a great game on thursday, 10 k's :D

Venom65437
April 08, 2007, 12:23 AM
Good old John Smoltz comes through for us when we need him and we righted the ship. I'm still overall very impressed by our pitching. When Chipper and Andruw get going, we're really going to be something.

Uchiha Slayer
April 09, 2007, 11:10 AM
Good old John Smoltz comes through for us when we need him and we righted the ship. I'm still overall very impressed by our pitching. When Chipper and Andruw get going, we're really going to be something.

pitching is above avarage this year for real...I heard people talking that we might have the best bullpin in baseball, but we got to see. I think Andrew and Chipper are mid season stars. They'll come around. GO BRAVES!!!

Venom65437
April 10, 2007, 01:08 AM
I have absolute confidence that Chip and Andruw will have great years like they always do. I'm just happy to see us doing well while they aren't. I think Chip might be about to get started... he hit the ball hard all last game, and you can't tell me you didn't think that double in the 8th was going to be out of there, I thought for sure it was.

Our bullpen is excellent, it's so nice to be able to trust them again.

In some bad news, Mike Hampton is out for the year AGAIN. Tore a tendon in his left elbow... ugh.

Uchiha Slayer
April 19, 2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, about time Atlanta bulpin get it going, took a hold year. But Chip and Andrew are really swinging the ball good. Its time for Langerhan(how ever you spell it) to get it going. Jeff F. is just coming aroung, he hit nasty homer two nights ago. The boy Andrew is getting sick with it. I hope Atlanta keep the wallet open for him.

Venom65437
April 19, 2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, I think we'd be crazy to let Andruw go. Between his offense and defense he's one of the 5 best players in baseball, IMO. That said, we haven't paid for ANYONE to stay for years. The only players who have stayed, Chipper and Smoltz, took less money because they wanted to be here.

BTW, now that Chipper has gotten going, he's off to one of the best starts of his career, I would really like to see him stay healthy and show what he can do again this year.

miyi
April 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
How about Alex Rodriguez having an unprecedented month of April, huh? He already has 14 homeruns, tying Albert Pujols for most HR's in a month, I think. And he still has several games left to break the record.

Here are his season's stats, currently:

Statistics:

Last Week
AVG: .440
HR: 4
RBI: 8
R: 9
SB: 1
OPS: 1.481

2007 Season
AVG: .378
HR: 14
RBI: 34
R: 26
SB: 2
OPS: 1.412

Career
AVG: .306
HR: 478
RBI: 1381
R: 1384
SB: 243
OPS: .964

(Ok, just to let you guys know, I know only fairly little about baseball. I can barely understand what half of the stats mean. :XD)

PaperYomiko
April 27, 2007, 02:14 PM
A-Rod?! bah!!
Just kidding, he is having a great start, I just feel superstitious about praising him before our series this weekend... I'm not a hater though

but how about the sox getting four home runs in a row last weekend, that was insane! Even my dad was psyched about that, which is rare :D

Venom65437
April 27, 2007, 03:51 PM
I think A-Rod might have about 32947397439574957 home runs this year, and that's if he gets injured. :p

PaperYomiko
April 28, 2007, 09:24 AM
^^ As long as none of them are against the Sox, that'd be fine with me :D

Venom65437
April 28, 2007, 11:34 AM
Well, it would appear that the Yankees are your bitch this year...

PaperYomiko
April 29, 2007, 07:57 PM
seriously...it does seem that way, doesn't it? 5/6 in the first two series...I almost feel bad for Torre, having such awful pitching...er, not really though :D

Venom65437
April 30, 2007, 12:03 AM
I'm VERY worried about Bob Wickman, the last two games he's been awful, can't throw a strike, and he cost us the game today. This is very bad.

PaperYomiko
May 05, 2007, 03:02 PM
so...the sox/yankees might open next season in Japan :blink ?! and maybe the padres/dodgers... that's weird...but kind of cool...

Venom65437
May 05, 2007, 04:29 PM
I actually don't like our leagues playing games that count in other countries. I think it's ridiculous. My Phins have a "home" game in London this year. Retarded.

PaperYomiko
May 05, 2007, 08:09 PM
who are the Phins?

but it does seem to be just a publicity stunt. It's weird though, considering how tickets sell for a sox/yankees game, let alone season opener, that they'd do that. for the Japanese fans though, its cool.

miyi
May 07, 2007, 01:15 AM
by Phins I believe he is talking about the Miami Dolphins (an NFL team, of which he is a fan of).

I don't mind games being played in other countries, whether they're just exhibition games, or games that "count". Like already said, it's good for publicity, and overall, to promote the game of baseball across the globe. That's always a good thing. This way, the young Ichiros, the young Matsui, the young Albert Pujols, etc., will get to see pro athletes play in their own homeland. In other words, it's a great tool as far as recruiting future foreign players, because witnessing these pro baseball games happen within their homeland will be a great source of inspiration for them.

Speaking of baseball, what's everyone's thoughts on Barry Bonds possibly surpassing Hank Aaron's homerun record? Will you cheer for him? Will you be indifferent about it? Will you "boo" him?

Because of all the steroids thing, assuming Bonds did it, I'll still cheer for him. Hey, it's an amazing accomplishment, with or without steroids.

I personally don't mind steroids being previously used by baseball players. If baseball players really cared about the fact that they were being "cheated" of the game, then how come nobody was courageous enough to "rat" on somebody, a long time ago? The fact that this has been allowed to happen "underground" for so long, and it's widespread use, I don't see the big deal. As a fan, I pay to watch players perform. I'm not bothered too much about "performance-enhancing drugs", because heck, let's admit it, that's what we, fans, paid to see.

As far as I'm concerned, it was the non-steroid-using-players who were the real victims. But they were too wussy to open their mouths about it, so then that must mean it didn't bother them that much, either.

So yeah, good luck Bonds! Quit accusing the man unless you have solid evidence, and let the man play some baseball.

EDIT:

Did you guys hear about Roger Clemen's return to the Yankees? Yeah, I just heard it in the news last night. Hmm...will he still be able to play, despite being 44? I'm optimistic, I'm sure he'll do well.

Venom65437
May 09, 2007, 11:14 PM
I hope Bonds breaks both his legs or something. I don't want to see no cheater get this record, and I think it's a damn shame that he will get it.

Also, about other players being too wussy to speak out about it, remember that most of the players that we think/know did steroids were not only the best players on their team, but among the best in the league. Like any other job situation, it's very hard to speak out against the "top dog."

Forget Clemens, did you hear the Yankees radio announcer talking about it? Was she seeing the second coming Roger Clemens or the second coming of Jesus?

miyi
May 11, 2007, 02:29 PM
I mean, you're right...and I'm not condoning steroid use. Assuming Bonds used steroids, then he is in fact a “cheater”.

But if you think about it, this sort of "cheating" is inevitable, and there are many pressures involved that made "cheating" tempting, that players like Ruth, Hank Aaron, Gherig and those guys never had to face ---- and that pressure is "money".

Nowadays, baseball players are paid in the millions of dollars. As you can imagine, these “cheaters” weren’t concerned at all about breaking “records”…all they cared about was the economic benefits of cheating.

These “selfish” actions are understandable and very human. I believe any great player would have been susceptible to such pressure. If Ruth and those guys were to face these similar economic pressures, I’m sure at least one of them would have succumbed to “cheating”. It’s unethical, but it isn’t stupid. Not when the benefit equals millions of dollars.

I don’t condone it, but I understand why they did it. So if Bonds breaks that record, it really doesn’t matter. Even he knows he did it dishonorably, and he doesn’t need us to remind him of it.

Venom65437
May 11, 2007, 08:09 PM
Barry Bonds was arguably the best player in baseball before he juiced up. He was jealous of McGwire and Sosa getting all the attention while he was accomplishing things that had never been done before.

Uchiha Slayer
May 26, 2007, 01:37 PM
Not really...He was good before he got juiced up...

MadDog
June 21, 2007, 12:13 AM
Schilling just went on the DL, but I don't think that hurt too much. It's not great, but the Sox seem to have plenty of pitching right now. Plus, the bats are coming alive (5 hrs tonight). Still June, but I guess we'll see what happens.

PaperYomiko
June 21, 2007, 12:57 AM
I haven't been watching much of the interleague lately, but I did hear about that. It's too bad, but I agree, our pitching doesn't leave much room for worry right now.

5 homers tonight? It's about time!! I always seem to watch on Manny and Ortiz's slow nights... :XD

MadDog
July 04, 2007, 11:53 PM
^The sox are 10.5 games up, so things are good. :) This latest road trip they've been is a killer though. You're right about Manny, he needs to step things up.
[hr]
There's still time for Red Sox fans to cast an online all-star vote for pitcher Hideki Okajima. The guy's been lights out all year and definetly deserves it.

PaperYomiko
July 05, 2007, 01:35 AM
Already voted for him, MadDog...Oki ftw!! :amuse

He really has been fantastic this season. With him and Papelbon around, I have nothing but confidence and love for our bullpen :D

Seems like we're the only Sox fans around here, unfortunately, but maybe we can get some more votes anyway. How can you not love that guy, right? :XD

MadDog
July 20, 2007, 08:33 PM
Hey! It must've worked because Oki got in. I think a big part of his success is that people haven't had a chance to figure him out, but he's got nasty stuff. Yeah, the sox would not be having this kind of a season without the guy.
[hr]
Since I think I'm the only one talks baseball besides Yomiko, I don't feel too bad posting after myself. :amuse

Anyway, the red sox are still 7 games up, so there's no need to panic (even though are a few reasons to panic if you listen to sports talk radio, which I do my best to avoid).

Kason Gabbard is a bright spot, plus Lugo is starting to hit (finally).

Call me nuts, but I'm going on record saying that the sox will play the Mets in the world series, and take a little revenge for '86. I actually hope that they play someone else because the Bill Buckner comments/replays will make me ill.

rabb
July 22, 2007, 11:27 PM
hey, this place does have a baseball thread! yay! sox ftw :amuse but... baseball is far from my sport. i rarely watch it. but, i am a loyal masshole, so i still cheer for the sox.

PaperYomiko
July 24, 2007, 11:34 AM
rabb posted in the baseball topic!! and we're above 600 again!! Not a bad weekend we just had, finally we're swinging like we were meant to be, too :D

Lester's the big story though, obviously. What a guy, he deserves a big :hug :amuse

hmm...wonder where Venom and all the other NL'ers around here went. They better come back soon, or this thread is going to become the Red Sox Topic instead :smile-big :smile-big

rabb
July 25, 2007, 08:59 PM
uhhh... who's lester? and what do you mean we're above 600? *is so out of his league*

PaperYomiko
July 25, 2007, 09:22 PM
Jon Lester, he's a starting pitcher. He made his first start Monday since beating a type of lymphoma cancer he was diagnosed with about a year ago. The game was vs. the Indians, and he got the win :amuse

our average is over 600. .604 exactly, 61 wins, 40 losses. The Yanks are second in the AL East with a .535 average...and woah!! I just realized we've pulled ahead of detroit!! So now we're also first in the AL, and the only team above 600!! :whoo (not sure if this is all counting tonight's loss...probably not... :crying)

rabb
July 25, 2007, 10:05 PM
:oh *is a baseball noob* :wtf

if it doesnt... that makes it .598..... either way, thats good, right?

Uchiha Slayer
July 31, 2007, 05:13 AM
What about those braves...They made some pretty good moves...But I'm really going to miss that dude with the weird last name(not going to attempt to spell it), but I thought he might have been a super star in the making.

MadDog
August 01, 2007, 09:25 PM
What about those braves...They made some pretty good moves...But I'm really going to miss that dude with the weird last name(not going to attempt to spell it), but I thought he might have been a super star in the making.

Saltalamacchia? Sounds like an appetizer you'd order at a restaurant in the north end. :D

Yeah, the Braves added a solid bat with Mark Texeira and solid bullpen help with Octavio Dotel. They're hanging on in the NL East, but the Mets are still playing well. (not to mention the Phillies who've won 8 out their last 10). The Braves are looking good the for the NL wild card if those guys contribute.

I'm surprised that the Yankees didn't end up with Gagne, instead of the Sox. They've got the $ but no prospects to give up.

rabb
August 02, 2007, 11:37 PM
Clemens was booed off mound! i lul'd XD

my aunt and grandparents are braves fans. they watch them almost every night x.x i've got a coworker from florida who likes them, as well.

MadDog
August 06, 2007, 10:51 PM
I heard about Clemens getting boo'd - thats fantastic. Still, it's less embarrasing than this old commercial he did....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKDTtZizc2o

The sox lost their 9th straight game in Seattle. My guess is that they're so wiped out by the time they get across country that playing good baseball is kind of a joke. Also, as much as I hate to say it...Timlin needs to go at some point. He's just not the same pitcher he used to be.
[hr]
Schilling made is return to the sox tonight after 6 weeks away. Game against the LA Angels of Anaheim in progress (2-2) in the 4th. What's real interesting is that Manny somehow got himself tossed from the game. Also, the yanks have won four straight so that sox need to get serious (not that they're not serious already).

Also, Bonds is going for some kind of record. Not really sure which....something to do with homeruns (sarcastic). Don't really care that much, I just don't want to hear about it anymore.

PaperYomiko
August 06, 2007, 10:57 PM
Manny said something to the ump which must not have been too friendly :XD

but still, the ump wasn't right, he called Manny on an unchecked swing for a strike, but it was really close. he should have at least reviewed it with the other guys :darn

MadDog
August 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
This road trip is killing the sox. Lester is pitching tonight and the down 3 in the 3rd and no Big Papi. **Think Positive** Once they get back to Boston, things should be good.
[hr]
Very tough loss today for the Sox. At least they made it interesting. Thank god for Miguel Tejada (beating the yanks with a tenth ining walk-off). Still, losing to the freakin d-rays...a fenway day game too. :s Probably some pissed off people who took they day-off.

Anyway, the youk needs to lose the chin squirrel already, and I always knew that Jose Offerman was a pschopath. What a nut.

Uchiha Slayer
August 19, 2007, 07:15 AM
This road trip is killing the sox. Lester is pitching tonight and the down 3 in the 3rd and no Big Papi. **Think Positive** Once they get back to Boston, things should be good.
<hr noshade size="1">
Very tough loss today for the Sox. At least they made it interesting. Thank god for Miguel Tejada (beating the yanks with a tenth ining walk-off). Still, losing to the freakin d-rays...a fenway day game too. :s Probably some pissed off people who took they day-off.

Anyway, the youk needs to lose the chin squirrel already, and I always knew that Jose Offerman was a pschopath. What a nut.

Put it this way...those Yankees not going win the division.

MadDog
August 20, 2007, 09:20 PM
That's what they said in '78, but ask Bucky Freakin' Dent. Yeah, I know, those days are over, but you can't help being traumatized if you're a red sox fan who's over 20.

PaperYomiko
September 18, 2007, 02:28 PM
this thread needs some love ^^

any thoughts on postseason? I'm too superstitious right now to make any guesses about the AL, but this is the first year I've been paying attention to the NL a bit, too...the Mets have been having a great season, but I think the Cubs could give them some trouble... ( << idiot AL'ers opinion of NL right now :smile-big ) it's going to be a really interesting month, to say the least :amuse

anybody here? hellooooooo? ..... :sweat

MadDog
October 07, 2007, 11:57 AM
How about them sox, huh?

Great day for sports...Pats on in a few minutes and the sox on this afternoon...

Got to love Manny. I can understand walking big papi in that situation, but you can only get away with it so many times. Daisuke settled down towards the end, but he still throws too many pitches (quantity and type). If he just stuck with his best 3 or 4 pitches, without getting too fancy, he'd be much more dominant. The bullpen was outstanding though...I think they kept them hitless in the last few innnings. Schilling will definetly come up big today and the sox will close things out.

Anyway, I kind of hope the Yankees make their series somewhat interesting. It wouldn't hurt if they tired the Indians out before the ALCS. Plus, I think I'd rather see the Sox play the yanks.

Too bad for the Cubs fans...sucks having a cursed team. ;)

Slippers
October 07, 2007, 01:56 PM
I really hope the Jay's do better next season =/
They had good players...it's just the injuries that really hurt them
Oh well, I'm routing for the Indians and Angels, although it looks like boston is going to win that series, Indians are looking pretty good though :)

MadDog
October 24, 2007, 06:30 PM
Ehh...here's maddog's pick for the world series, for all you baseball fans. ;)

Boston in 5. I know, I know, big surprise. ;) Colorado did well against the sox this year (when they played them a few times), but they really don't have a shot. They can hit, but they're an NL team...which is basically JV these days. All this time off is going to sink them, just like it did Detriot last year.

Anyway, look for Wakefield to pitch game 2, and MadDog in section 42. Pissah. Go Sox.
[hr]
Guess I was wrong about Wakefield. And my tickets fell through too...oh well.

rabb
October 24, 2007, 08:55 PM
i keep hearing sox in six. i've only seen two deviants: sox in six, and rockies in five (but that guy was obviously a roxies fan, reading his veiw of it)

i had to step out, so i missed the third inning, how'd we get the forth run?

PaperYomiko
October 25, 2007, 02:41 AM
Ortiz hit a double, driving Youkilis home :amuse

hmm...I don't really like making predictions.... *makes me superstitious*....but I have to say, it would be kinda nice if we could clinch the series at home this year. That's all I'm gonna say though :noworry well, that and I hope I stay awake this time, no matter which way it goes. I fell asleep during the 7th of game 4 in 2004 :wall

MadDog
October 29, 2007, 04:59 PM
You manage to stay awake? :D

The trade talk is already starting....

I'm hearing that they might send Coco Crisp, John Lester and Clay Bucholz to Minnesota for Johan Santana. That's a lot to give up, but the thought of Beckett and Santana at the top of the rotation would be rediculous. Plus, with Daisuke in his second year, and hopefully Schilling for one more season, they'd be frightening (in a good way).

As for Mike Lowell, how can they not bring him back? It'll cost them, but I think they can afford it. They'd have been nowhere this year without him. We don't need A-Rod...but I wouldn't be complaining if they went out and got him, I guess.

Also, I think this might be all for Wakefield, which is kind of sad. Hopefully he's back, but his injury sounds bad and he's way up there (41 I think).

PaperYomiko
October 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
yup, I made sure I wouldn't do such an idiotic thing again :) ( this time I took a nap before the game :XD )

First of all Mike Lowell - hell yeah. A-Rod - he can go somewhere else :noworry I don't know, maybe I'm the only one, but his defense has never particularly impressed me? Maybe he just messes up a lot whenever he played us but, I don't know, he's always seemed a bit sloppy out there to me :blink

As for this rumoured trade....that's the first I've heard of it. What would they do then for CF, get a new guy? Thing is, I like that so much of our strength this season was from the young guys, and I don't think we should be trading that all away. Meh, what do I know, I just always hate to see the guys go, but trading long-term talent like Bucholz and Lester for another big guy doesn't really sound like the most excellent idea to me....I mean, look what happened with Gagne, he was supposed to be this huge help to our pen, but everytime he took the field I wanted to down some whiskey and hide my head under a pillow :notrust

Wakefield, yeah, that's sad :darn He's an awesome guy, and is such an important part of the team, beyond his pitching abilities. Well, I'll remain hopeful for him, so we'll just have to see :amuse

xi0
November 05, 2007, 03:52 AM
Wakefield, yeah, that's sad :darn He's an awesome guy, and is such an important part of the team, beyond his pitching abilities. Well, I'll remain hopeful for him, so we'll just have to see :amuse

He is? To be honest, butterfly-ball pitchers are becoming obsolete. Steve Sparks retired in 2005, and R.A. Dickey can't find his way back to the Major Leagues. The ball either moves, or it comes across the plate fat. It's too inexact. It'll be an extinct art form soon IMO.

PaperYomiko
November 05, 2007, 04:24 PM
ah, well, I meant more in terms of his leadership, since he's one of the old veterans who's been around for so long, more than his pitching stats or anything ^^ I don't really know a whole lot about the mechanics of pitching (not being able to throw a ball to save my life myself) but I have heard a lot of players say that Wakefield's knuckleball is not like any other guys' in the past. And even though there are some guys in the league who can really take it out of the park, for the most part people still have a terrible time trying to hit that pitch.

He did have 17 wins this season, so he's still doing pretty well for an old-timer ^^ And he's been resigned for next year, so that's good, but the bad news is his catcher, Mirabelli, might not be coming back (again). He's the only guy that can catch for Wake, Varitek has never been able to handle it :darn

Never heard it called a butterfly-ball, btw :amuse

xi0
November 06, 2007, 04:32 AM
Butterfly-ball, flutterball...all names used for it. The reason why Wakefield is so successful is because his knuckler is THAT good. When it's good it's very good, but there are still some who can't hit it because it's so unconventional in today's game. But many divisional rivals can light him up because they are used to it. Wakefield may have had 17 wins, but he still had 12 losses, with at 4.76 ERA. If he didn't play for the best team in baseball this season, he wouldn't have a winning record.

Another guy I can't figure out is Schilling. The rumor is that he was near a deal with Boston as of last night, but him essentially saying goodbye to his teamates and filing for free agency must have been a negotiating tactic. He'd be stupid to go anywhere else. At this point he's no better than 4-5 place starter.

PaperYomiko
November 06, 2007, 11:58 PM
heh, to be honest, I think I've always been biased towards Wakefield since he reminds me of a favorite uncle, for some reason :XD

as for Schill, looks like he's signed a one year deal...I think you're right about him, he's definitely not the pitcher he used to be. The trouble this season was his inconsistency, imho. He pitched some great games, and some horrific games...unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where I don't entirely trust him to be able to get the win when he's on the mound, which is a troubling way to feel about a starter. But apparently he's going to be working on his conditioning during the off season, and hopefully his control and alternative pitches as well. The good thing is, he's a smart pitcher, so he has recognized the fact that he can't just rely on his fastball anymore.

vintagemistakes
April 01, 2008, 11:57 PM
I can see that this thread gets a lot of attention.... jeez...

Anyways here are my predictions for the following yr.(not that anyone will ever see this)

A.L. East: Red Sox
A.L. Central: Indians
A.L. West: Angels
W.C.(wildcard): Yankees

N.L. East: Mets
N.L. central: Cubs
N.L. West: Rockies
W.C.: Phillies

Playoffs: ALCS: Yankees over Indians
NLCS: Cubs over Mets
World Series: Yankees over Cubs

xi0
April 02, 2008, 01:59 AM
I can see that this thread gets a lot of attention.... jeez...

Anyways here are my predictions for the following yr.(not that anyone will ever see this)

A.L. East: Red Sox
A.L. Central: Indians
A.L. West: Angels
W.C.(wildcard): Yankees

N.L. East: Mets
N.L. central: Cubs
N.L. West: Rockies
W.C.: Phillies

Playoffs: ALCS: Yankees over Indians
NLCS: Cubs over Mets
World Series: Yankees over Cubs

I see your predictions as sort of being somewhat cookie-cutter, aside from a few things. The Indians are not considered the favorite in the AL Central, so I applaud you for being bold there. I can't see them beating the Tigers out honestly...that lineup should be illegal :blink

I think since the Angel's rotation is banged up, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mariners beat them out.

I think predicting the NL Central is pretty damn impossible...6 teams that are in large part not much better than eachother IMO. Cubs and Brewers are probably the best teams, but not by much.

The Rockies are damn good, but I think the Diamonbacks are the best team. They added Dan Haren to their rotation...they have TWO Aces...Haren and Webb.

I don't know if I see the AL WildCard coming out of the East this year...the Tigers and the Indians are TOO good looking.

predsfan
April 02, 2008, 02:51 AM
SWEEEEEEEET! Baseball has started again. Being a Tigers fan sure has been great recently, and I hope they don't disappoint (they started the season with a loss to Kansas freaking City). As for the other team I cheer for, the Reds, maybe they'll surprise me, but I expect nothing from them.

I guess I too shall make some predictions:

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Seattle
AL Wild Card: Cleveland

NL East: New York (Mets)
NL Central: Milwaukee
NL West: Arizona
NL Wild Card: Chicago

I'm taking a risk in saying two NL Central teams will make the playoffs because generally that division is awful as of late. As for the World Series predictions:

Detroit vs. New York (Mets)
WSC: Detroit (what can I say I'm a homer)

vintagemistakes
April 02, 2008, 02:52 AM
well first let me say I'm a life long Yankess fan so I hope that clears some things up...

A.l. Central:The tigers have an insane offense that should score 1000 runs... but the experts have been saying that about the Yankees for the last 6 years but it doesn't mean it will come true. It all comes down to pitching and the tigers bullpen stinks.

A.L. West: Honestly the mariners should have a better team then the angels.. but I just trust Mike Scioscia more then McLaren to get then through an entire year. Scoscia is just an old school manager that gets his team to win games.

As for the National league... I don't follow it that closely as the A.L. so I just picked teams.. The Mets with their offense and Santana ( Pedro went down tonight) should win the division pretty easily. Everyone else is just a guess...

xi0
April 02, 2008, 05:15 AM
( Pedro went down tonight)

What else is new? The guy's tendons are like baked rubber bands. He was such a dominant pitcher too.

EDIT: I'll also admit that I'm an Orioles fan...so not much hope for my team. We haven't had a winning season since 1997 -_-;. We're rebuilding, but I'm not a fair-weather fan...I root for my team regardless! :rant

Binky
April 02, 2008, 10:20 AM
AL East: Boston
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Seattle
AL Wild Card: New York (Yankees)

NL East: New York (Mets)
NL Central: Chicago (Cubs)
NL West: Arizona
NL Wild Card: Phillies

WS: Cubs (Because no one else will make this "prediction" :P)

And to resurrect the knuckleball thing even though it's been dormant for about six months, whatever happened to the "hard knuckler" ala Hoyt Wilhem, I gather it was thrown at low-end slider type velocity.

predsfan
April 02, 2008, 07:28 PM
Not a good start to the season for my Tigers (0-2). Not to mention that just got shut out and only had three hits. Where is the best lineup in baseball I have been hearing about. Oh well, I guess it's too early to judge.

And as has been said no surprise on Pedro getting hurt. Apparently he's out 4-6 weeks.

vintagemistakes
April 02, 2008, 11:02 PM
The Tigers will score their runs... but good pitching will always negate a good/great lineup and thats what they ran into. Kansas City starters pitched great... I wonder when the last time Kansas City and great pitching were used in the same sentence.

You knew Pedro was going to miss some starts at some point this season. Better to miss them in April then in September I guess.

xi0
April 03, 2008, 01:04 AM
The Tigers will score their runs... but good pitching will always negate a good/great lineup and thats what they ran into. Kansas City starters pitched great... I wonder when the last time Kansas City and great pitching were used in the same sentence.

You knew Pedro was going to miss some starts at some point this season. Better to miss them in April then in September I guess.

I would agree to that with a younger guy, but not with Pedro. Older guys recover slower and are definitely more prone to re-occurrences.

And the Royals haven't won since 1985...and haven't even been worth mentioning since George Brett retired in all honesty.

vintagemistakes
April 03, 2008, 10:20 PM
So Barry Bonds is still out there to be had... anyone want him on your team?

I wouldn't want him on my team because ultimately he'll be a huge headache but the guy can still hit. An American league team with a need of a DH would be most beneficial.

xi0
April 04, 2008, 01:54 AM
So Barry Bonds is still out there to be had... anyone want him on your team?

I wouldn't want him on my team because ultimately he'll be a huge headache but the guy can still hit. An American league team with a need of a DH would be most beneficial.

Absolutely no way...and it would have nothing to do with the controversy. Let's face it, the dude has been singled out...and it's only because he's the best player of this era, and he's a complete and total ***hole.

He's a cancer in the clubhouse, and Jeff Kent will be my hero forever for punching him the grill.

vintagemistakes
April 09, 2008, 12:14 AM
It's amazing what a World Series title will do... Red Sox fans actually cheering Bill Buckner as he threw out the first pitch. A couple of years ago they would of stoned him to death with a bunch of empty beer bottles.

xi0
April 09, 2008, 02:04 AM
It's amazing what a World Series title will do... Red Sox fans actually cheering Bill Buckner as he threw out the first pitch. A couple of years ago they would of stoned him to death with a bunch of empty beer bottles.

Well, that just goes to show you that they're fickle and hypocritical.

Anyways, my O's have one six straight. This is a dilemma, as we're in a rebuilding year, so I don't want to get too excited about them. They're doing EVERYTHING right though. Coming from behind, keeping leads, timely hitting, and good pitching from the starters AND bullpen. It's pretty shocking, since the consensus is that the Rays would eclipse us for the first time ever this season. We split with them in the opening series, but had one game rained-out. Then we proceeded to sweep the Mariners in a 4-game series. And now we just bludgeoned the Rangers 8-1 yesterday. Nice revenge for them dropping 30 on us last season in a single game -_-;

predsfan
April 10, 2008, 02:31 AM
Sweet merciful Jebus, my Tigers have finally won a game. Even better it came against the Red Sox a pretty good team. Now we only need 6 more in a row to get to .500. Here's to hoping they can keep the bats going.

xi0
April 10, 2008, 03:42 AM
Sweet merciful Jebus, my Tigers have finally won a game. Even better it came against the Red Sox a pretty good team. Now we only need 6 more in a row to get to .500. Here's to hoping they can keep the bats going.

I'd like to say that it's early in the season and all...but something just doesn't seem right with them.

So much for scoring 1000 runs this season? :eyeroll

Gold Knight
April 19, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm really encouraged by how my Cubs have been doing so far in April. I've never seen them have a better start... or at least, if I did, it hasn't been in a long while. They haven't been swept in any series, and they've only been routed 3 times so far. They're winning like 3 of every 5 games, they're 10-6 right now, and looking good with only one significant injury so far (Soriano, who only has a knee sprain). They're still a little inconsistent, but not as much as they have been in past years. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.

xi0
April 19, 2008, 10:26 PM
So my Orioles are 10-7 now after clobbering the Yankess 8-2 Friday, and shutting them out 6-0, and we'll go for the sweep tomorrow. We're only a half game back from Boston.

This pace probably won't last much longer, but it's nice to see that we may be heading in the right direction for the first time in a decade. Oh well.

admirenkiwi
April 20, 2008, 01:28 AM
iuno bout baseball teams but if your bored, go watch major :D
its baseball if you hadnt already yet.

xi0
April 20, 2008, 03:12 AM
iuno bout baseball teams but if your bored, go watch major :D
its baseball if you hadnt already yet.

We're talking about REAL baseball, not anime mds. Thanks for the suggestion though.

predsfan
April 29, 2008, 12:47 AM
Well, we're about a month into the season and, for me at least, the bad news is Detroit is 11-15 and currently in last place in the American League Central. The good news is the rest of the division hasn't done so hot seeing as the Tigers are only 4 games back. The way Detroit started I find this to be very good news.

Also, the Cubs are apparently doing pretty good. I honestly didn't expect that, but I guess the experts were right. The surprises at the one month in for me though are the Marlins, Orioles, and Rays. Florida, with a the lowest payroll in the league (if I remember correctly several players around the league are getting payed more than the entire Florida payroll), in first place in the NL East. Also Baltimore and Tampa Bay being tied with Boston for first place in the AL East is a surprise as well. I hope one of them can pull off winning the division because I am tired of Yankees-Sox.

Go Tigers!

xi0
April 29, 2008, 02:13 AM
Well, we're about a month into the season and, for me at least, the bad news is Detroit is 11-15 and currently in last place in the American League Central. The good news is the rest of the division hasn't done so hot seeing as the Tigers are only 4 games back. The way Detroit started I find this to be very good news.

Also, the Cubs are apparently doing pretty good. I honestly didn't expect that, but I guess the experts were right. The surprises at the one month in for me though are the Marlins, Orioles, and Rays. Florida, with a the lowest payroll in the league (if I remember correctly several players around the league are getting payed more than the entire Florida payroll), in first place in the NL East. Also Baltimore and Tampa Bay being tied with Boston for first place in the AL East is a surprise as well. I hope one of them can pull off winning the division because I am tired of Yankees-Sox.

Go Tigers!

Yeah, sorry to you guys in Detroit. Your manager swaps your 1st basemen and your 3rd basement without giving an explanation. Verlander's velocity is way down. Things look pretty shitty for you guys...but really, your whole division seemed to take a step back, aside from the Royals and MAYBE the White Sox.

The Orioles are a pleasant surprise, but we still haven't faced the Red Sox or Angels yet (Angels are probably the best team in the AL, IMO), so I'm not getting too excited to be honest.

predsfan
April 29, 2008, 11:51 PM
your whole division seemed to take a step back, aside from the Royals and MAYBE the White Sox.

Not only the AL Central, but the AL as whole doesn't really have standout team at the moment. Not like the Diamondbacks in the NL. Getting Granderson healthy, though, has really helped the Tigers out (he homered today in a win against the Yankees). I have some faith they'll get it together and make the playoffs, but a part of me says this is the Tigers (a team that has spent most of my lifetime of which I can remember in last place). Oh well, still a lot of games left (100+).

On another note, Griffey Jr. has 597 home runs. At 38, I hope he has enough seasons in him to get to 700 (25-30 home runs per season in the next 4 seasons, if he plays that long, should get him there. With all the injuries he has had since coming to Cincinnati, I think it would be nice for him.

Also, A-rod is on the 15 game DL, one of the few Yankees I like :darn.

xi0
April 30, 2008, 01:11 AM
Not only the AL Central, but the AL as whole doesn't really have standout team at the moment. Not like the Diamondbacks in the NL. Getting Granderson healthy, though, has really helped the Tigers out (he homered today in a win against the Yankees). I have some faith they'll get it together and make the playoffs, but a part of me says this is the Tigers (a team that has spent most of my lifetime of which I can remember in last place). Oh well, still a lot of games left (100+).

On another note, Griffey Jr. has 597 home runs. At 38, I hope he has enough seasons in him to get to 700 (25-30 home runs per season in the next 4 seasons, if he plays that long, should get him there. With all the injuries he has had since coming to Cincinnati, I think it would be nice for him.

Also, A-rod is on the 15 game DL, one of the few Yankees I like :darn.

Weird...only a few Yankees fans like him :darn

And Junior might reach that plateau IF he stays healthy. He's been doing alright these past couple of seasons playing in a majority of the games, but man, he's missed sooo many games over his career. He'd be challenging Bonds right now if he wasn't hurt all of the time.

EDIT: As a Tigers fan, you should at least be thankful you're not in the AL East anymore...

vintagemistakes
April 30, 2008, 10:50 PM
And Junior might reach that plateau IF he stays healthy. He's been doing alright these past couple of seasons playing in a majority of the games, but man, he's missed sooo many games over his career. He'd be challenging Bonds right now if he wasn't hurt all of the time.

Griffey wouldn't be challenging Bonds... he would of passed him right now if he managed to stay healthy. His body just broke on him... he had so much natural talent that it was scary. It's kinda sad that some of these athletes have so much talent but in the end their bodies just let them down.

Another guy that was insanely talented was Albert Belle... I believe he had a degenerative hip problem. He was putting up monstrous number before his body fell apart.

On a more important note...

My Yankees are falling apart... Arod, Posada and now Phil Hughes are on the DL. OK, Phil Hughes isn't that big of a loss... he was pitching terrible.
They look horrendous....They just can't hit. Just look at tonights game against the Tigers. They score two runs in the first forcing Bondermen(?) to throw 30+ pitches... which is great... and then they can't do anything the rest of the game. Bondermen probably got through the next 3 innings before he threw another 30 pitches. I believe they said out of the 28 batters he faced he got 10 of them out on 2 or fewer pitches. Ahh they are driving me nuts!!! Cano can't hit and Giambi is absolutely terrible. Every team plays the shift on him... but does he ever try to hit the ball to left? No, never and he could just bunt for a base hit every at bat... but why do that when you can just hit the ball towards the side of the field where half of the defense is... The Yankees would get more production out of him if they put him in the stands slinging peanuts...

predsfan
May 02, 2008, 01:46 AM
Weird...only a few Yankees fans like him :darn

Yeah, but I was a fan of those Mariner teams back in the day, when they had A-rod, Griffey, Jay Buhner, and Randy Johnson. I wish they would've gotten a World Series Championship.

Griffey wouldn't be challenging Bonds... he would of passed him right now if he managed to stay healthy. His body just broke on him... he had so much natural talent that it was scary.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with over 800 home runs if had never gotten hurt. Also, he was a great fielder at one of the hardest positions to play. I was so excited when he signed with the Reds, I thought he would help them win a World Series. Oh well, I'll cheer for A-rod now to surpass Bonds in home runs.

My Yankees are falling apart...

It couldn't have come at a better time for me, being a Tigers fan. Although, I hope that series sweep wasn't because the Yankees are falling apart but that the Tigers are getting their stuff together.

vintagemistakes
May 28, 2008, 12:29 AM
why is MLB so retarded... I should actually say why is the rules committee so retarded?

why wait until the fall league to try and implement instant replay on home runs when it could be done in a couple of weeks... All you need is a tv down on the field. I'm sure the players and owners want it... heck I'll even say that the Umpires would welcome it( its probably better to have your call overturned then be ridiculed on national tv or sportscenter the next day). It just seems absurd to me that they won't do it now. Just imagine what would happen if a game 7, whether it be a championship series or world series ends on one of these calls... there would be outrage.... an umpire could actually lose his lively hood based on something that happened 200 ft from him. Save us, the fans, the misery of having to go through this and just make it happen.

my apologies for my intoxicated probably incoherent rant... but not having instant replay on homeruns just makes a mockery and strikes at the very integrity(not like steroids hasn't done enough) of this game I love.

LB56
June 04, 2008, 12:36 AM
I guess the only thing keeping replay out of baseball is the fear of a longer game, but I don't think that's really a legitimate fear. It would be quicker to have an official review the play to tell whether or not the ball was a home run than to have all the umpires gather around and talk about what they think the saw. I don't really care either way though. I'd just like to see the Braves start performing on the road and for Chipper Jones to stay on fire.

predsfan
June 09, 2008, 08:58 PM
Well, it's been a fairly disappointing season so far for me with the Tigers being ten games under .500. But really, I just wanted to congratulate Ken Griffey Jr. for hitting number 600. It's really amazing considering how many games he has missed since coming to Cincinnati.

Lelo
June 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
how do you strikeout 4 batters in one inning, ask Scott Baker of Minnesota, he just did it. Baker started the inning by striking out Ryan Braun swinging, then got Prince Fielder to strike out, but the ball bounced far away from catcher Mike Redmond. That allowed Fielder to easily reach first on the wild pitch. Baker then struck out Russell Branyan and Mike Cameron looking on three pitches apiece to end the inning.

vintagemistakes
June 19, 2008, 08:51 PM
so does anyone want to trade my Yankees a starting pitcher? preferably one that can strike batters out and can go 6+ innings... e.g. CC Sabathia, Johan Santana...anyone,anyone?

I'm willing to trade one Carl Pavano, Kyle Fawnsworth and Hank Steinbrenner for one...

MadDog
July 31, 2008, 05:14 PM
Manny....why...Manny....

Thanks for the 2 world championships and all the good times.

Vaya con dios, amigo.

Lelo
August 01, 2008, 05:55 PM
YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHH!!!, Manny is on the Dodgers, Im soo happy. Finally we look like a solid team

predsfan
October 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
World Series Game 1 is on now. Tampa Bay Devil Rays vs. Philadelphia Phillies. Should be a good series. Both teams have great pitching and great hitting. Go Rays!

On a side note, I wish I had put 100 dollars on the Rays to win the series at the beginning of the year. Their odds were 200-1. That would've been a nice payday (if they win ;)).

KnuckleheadedNinja
October 29, 2008, 01:03 AM
Why the heck did have to let the Rays score before they freaking suspend play. But will still got this. Phillies all the way baby!!!

predsfan
March 09, 2009, 06:12 AM
Anybody watching the World Baseball Classic? I have enjoyed it so far, in fact I am being thoroughly entertained by the Japan/Korea game on right now even though both teams are advancing already. It's good to have meaningful baseball in March.

The U.S./Canada game was amazing. It felt like a playoff game. The U.S. jumps out to a lead, then Canada comes back. I love these kinds of games (though it was nerve-wracking being a fan of the U.S.) The Netherlands beating Dominican Republic was awesome as well. Might be seeing a rematch of that soon, assuming Puerto Rico beats the Netherlands. Anyways, go U.S.

xi0
March 10, 2009, 03:42 AM
I think that the US teams has a great shot at winning this thing, since I consider them to be the deepest team talent-wise, and it should be.

The Dominican team's weakness is pitching IMO.

I was surprise to see Korea beat Japan, but like you said, that game was sort of meaningless.

Lelo
June 01, 2009, 04:44 PM
yaaa, Dodgers are still in first, we better not blow it this time. We're good at starting a season but we suck at finishing, hopefully Torre changes that, he did last year

predsfan
June 06, 2009, 01:01 PM
I don't think you have to worry about the Dodgers making the playoffs. With the start they're off to and the rest of the teams in that division, making the playoffs shouldn't be a problem. Now whether or not they choke in the playoffs is anyone's call ;).

I, personally, am just pleased that the Reds aren't already out of the playoff picture (I know it's early in the season, but generally I can count them out by now). Also, I'm hoping my Tigers can hold on to first place for another 100 games :p.

Lelo
June 20, 2009, 04:16 PM
ohh Im not worried. Everyone better be healthy and not suspended by the time the playoffs start though

MadDog
June 25, 2009, 08:39 PM
yaaa, Dodgers are still in first, we better not blow it this time. We're good at starting a season but we suck at finishing, hopefully Torre changes that, he did last year

When's Manny coming back? It'll be interesting to see if he's still the same player. Not a bad addition at all if he's been working out and takes things seriously.

xi0
July 01, 2009, 05:38 PM
When's Manny coming back? It'll be interesting to see if he's still the same player. Not a bad addition at all if he's been working out and takes things seriously.

He's supposed to be coming back on Friday against the Padres

itoken1
April 01, 2011, 10:29 AM
love baseball. hope other guy don't read. we otaku no big in sport, but I love baseball. baseball is big in japan too, so I love baseball. most girl baseball see, good sporty girl with big bat and balls. always hope they catch ball. beating balls no fun. then again no girl running without beating. what dilemma

fleshcut
April 24, 2011, 02:36 AM
anyone else think Aroldis Chapman's talents are wasted on the reds I think he could do so much more with his name and story if he went to a bigger market team XD

here's hoping he joins the NYY when his contracts up we need that 106

xi0
April 24, 2011, 06:27 AM
Wasted? If he helps them win more games than whoever else would have been in his place in the bullpen, then absolutely not. I like a little parity in Baseball personally. The same teams in the playoffs every year is great for fans of those teams, but sometimes it can get monotonous IMO. I'm an Oriole fan, so it's not like they've had a shot to win anything since 1997, but still, I'd rather root for the underdog than the Yankees or Red Sox. If you're in Maryland, how are you a Yankees fan? Unless you're one of those fans :p

And the mythical 106...who cares? How long do you think he's going to be able to throw the fireball? His arm is going to give out for sure, I don't care how "non-violent" they say his throwing motion is. Plus, he's only a reliever...unless he's successful as a starter, why would teams have to have him?

fleshcut
April 24, 2011, 11:18 AM
cause he is still new to the mlb and the NYY have no real set up men right now -.-

lol i live in maryland but man the Orioles -,- i'd rather wait for the nationals to get their act together and root for them.

xi0
April 26, 2011, 09:32 PM
Well I'm assuming you live in more in the DC metro area if you have no allegiance to the Orioles. I have civic pride, so even with an inept owner, I still bleed Black and Orange.

But is Chapman going to stay a reliever? The way he's hyped, makes me believe he'll be a starter at some point.

fleshcut
April 28, 2011, 12:21 AM
lol i'd i don't feel like looking up if he was a starter in cuba i'd have to assume he would at some point but i doubt he could throw that hard for six or seven innings

xi0
April 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
No, he definitely wouldn't. Thus I don't understand the tattoo and all of the hype. If he's most effective as a reliever coming in and bringing the heat, fine. Why risk making him a starter, when he'll probably just end up blowing out his arm?...unless his motion is really as smooth as they say it is.

Kaiten
April 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
Finally got to see Strasburg start today and as usual, he did not disappoint. 6 IP, 2 H, 9 SO, 3 BB. This is turning into the typical Strasburg line. Watching this guy pitch is amazing, I have never seen anyone like him. He's been even better since coming back from surgery. Before surgery he was a strike out pitcher, now he is just as good at forcing weak pop ups and grounders.

If the Nat's can get more production out of the middle of the order this will be a great team. Zimmerman has been in a bit of a slump to start the season, if he breaks out of it the offense should take off. Desmond and Espinosa have been great early, the back of the line up has contributed competent small ball. All that is needed is someone to knock them in. Harper will be in triple A until June, at least. Until he comes up it will be up to Zimmerman and Werth.

Kaiten
September 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Post season award predictions? Here are mine:

AL:
MVP: Miguel Cabrera
Cy Young: Jared Weaver
Rookie of the Year: Mike Trout
Manager of the Year: Buck Showalter
NL:
MVP: Buster Posey
Cy Young: Gio Gonzalez
Rookie of the Year: Bryce Harper
Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson

xi0
September 29, 2012, 12:42 AM
I haven't followed stats enough to care, but I must say that Mike Trout has impressed me overall more than Bryce Harper has. Not like that matters though.

Orioles Magic number is 3 for a playoff spot. Hoping the Yankees drop a game or two or three and open a window for us. I think we can easily win the series against the Red Sox, they look dead. If Bobby Valentine was well-liked in the clubhouse I think they would be looking for revenge after what we did to them last year, but I don't think they have it in them. And I'm not sure if they'll bother getting up for the Yankees to help us out either. What I worry about is the Rays, I think they've won 8 in a row or something. If they can continue taking advantage of how woeful the White Sox have been in the past two weeks or so, there Wild Card hopes aren't completely dead.

Though, thinking about it...if I neglect the Wild Card one-game playoff and just think about who I'd rather play, I'm not sure who I would just between Texas and Detroit.

Kaiten
September 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
Only one game back with five left to play, the Orioles finishing first is not inconceivable. Unfortunately the Yankees remaining schedule is against Toronto and Boston, the Orioles still have three games against Tamapa. There is no doubt they will get the top wild card spot, winning the division will take a little luck.

Mike Trout is having an excellent year, but a terrible September. He really does deserve to be in the MVP talk, but Miggy is having a better season (.327/.392/.602, 42hr, 133RBI). Trouts numbers are great, but except for BA and OBP, don't quite compare (.321/.393/.555, 29HR, 79RBI). His RBI totals are low because he is batting lead off.

The comparisons between Trout and Harper never really were valid. There is a reason serious baseball reporters (Thomas Boswell, Peter Gammans, Buster Olney, Jayson Stark, Jerry Crasnick, etc) never made them. Trout was a late season call up in 2011, playing forty games with 123 at bats. That is the max for a player without losing rookie status the following year. He was 19 when called up, turning 20 during the season. His slash in 2011 was .220/.281/.390 with 27H, 5HR, 15RBI. Through the same number of at bats, Harper was much better. Trout also had an off season to train and adjust, before this season. He was also drafted a year before Bryce, in 2009, logging more games and more at bats in the minor league. Trout played 286 games in the minors, with 1117 at bats. Bryce played 130 games in the minors with 461 at bats. Both players essentially skipped AAA; both started 2012 in AAA, Trout played in 20 games and Bryce in 21 before being called up. That is not to say Bryce will be better than Trout, just that it is far to soon for comparisons. Also remember that Trout has Mark Trumbo and Albert Pujols behind him. Both players have had second half slumps. Trumbo hit .204/.263/.287 in August, 161/.188/.242 in September with only 4HR and 23RBI. Pujols slash line was strong in August and September, but in September his power numbers declined sharply, with only 1HR, 11RBI, and .443SLG. Without protection Trouts production has declined sharply over the last two months; .284/.366/.500 in August and .255/.369/.436 in September. By comparison, Bryce had a horrible August (.243/.292/.456) but has played his best ball of the season in September (.316/.385/.622).

Their circumstances are very different. Bryce will not turn twenty until October 16. It is better to compare him to other teenage ballplayers. He has already set a record for extra base hits by a teenager, is second in home runs (with 21, only the second teenager with more than 20 in a season), second in runs (94), second in steals (17), fourth in doubles (23), fifth in triples (9), second in walks (54), third in OPS (.799), and second in WAR (4.5, according to Fangraphs). He is the first teenage rookie with 15 or more home runs and 15 or more steals since Ken Griffey, Jr.

A better comparison would actually be Manny Machado, closer in age and experience to Bryce. Both are class of 2010 (Bryce went number one, Manny number 3). Manny turned 20 in July, only a few months older than Bryce. His numbers are actually very similar to Bryce's, after a similar number of at bats. Manny's slash line (.270/.296/.449) through 46 games and 178 bats are very similar to Bryce's at the same point in his season , though Bryce's OBP and SLG were higher at a similar point in his career. That seems to be changing, Manny's line over the last seven days is a ridiculous .346/.433/.654 with 9H, 2DB, 2HR, 4BB to only 5SO. This weeks BB/K ratio is a revelation; he walked 5 times in all of September. He's obviously adjusting to the strike zone, and getting more comfortable at the plate. Like Bryce, there should be no doubt that Manny is the truth, a future superstar.

xi0
September 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
I agree that Machado has impressed but I was thinking of those eligible :XD

I'm not sure what is unfair about comparing the two since they both play the same position and are TECHNICALLY rookies. They're both good players, but Trout is playing like Mickey Mantle reincarnated. I see more about him in context with the American Leagues as well.

Plus it's easy to dislike Harper...little twat :p

Kaiten
September 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
Machado qualifies, he has more than 130 at bats.

Apples and oranges are both fruit, that does not mean they need to be compared. Unlike other sports, circumstances and context are important in baseball. Bryce and Trout have little in common, other than both being rookie outfielders. It's the same reason nobody directly compares Todd Frazier or Wade Miley to Mike Trout, the circumstances are to different. For various reasons people like comparing Bryce and Trout in a way not typical of baseball players, especially rookies. The fact that they are in different leagues makes it even stranger. Comparisons between Manny and Bryce work much better. Similar age, similar minor league experience, similar numbers, similar impact on their teams. Bryce has obviously played more Major League games, so the comparison can still only be taken so far. Let's save the comparison until both are tenured. Next year will tell us more.

Mickey Mantle didn't play like Mickey Mantle his rookie year. He played like Bryce Harper :p
Actually, Bryce has had a slightly better rookie year. Mantle was sent back down to the minors for part of his rookie year. Bryce and Mantle actually have near identical rookie slash lines, .266/.336/.468 to Mantle's .267/.349/.443. Mantle had more RBI's but fewer runs, steals, hits, and extra base hits.

The biggest difference between Bryce and Trout is that Bryce will have the first opportunity to shine in the playoffs. That is hardly Trout's fault, just a matter of fact. Bryce has played his best ball in September, and has gotten better and better over the course of the month. He has the potential to come up big in October, an opportunity Trout will not have.

You don't watch Nats games, or follow the National League, so I will forgive your misconceptions about Bryce. Since coming up, he definitely has not been a twat. In April he was boo'd everywhere he went. Now they do not even boo him in Philly.

xi0
September 30, 2012, 07:46 PM
I'm talking about his attitude at times in interviews. It's entertaining, me and my Dad love to call him a little punk. It's not really based on anything other than that :XD

It may not be by-the-book, but I still have no issues comparing the two myself. They're both young outfielders, but it doesn't mean the comparison is final at all. I would compare him to Trout before I would to Machado overall, but offensively it's fair game.

Kaiten
October 01, 2012, 08:48 PM
In a few years Bryce will be one of the most genuinely popular players in baseball. He's already earned the respect of Phillies fans, the rest of the world can't be far behind. Before he was called up I think everyone wanted to make him into some self-entitled diva, which just isn't true. In reality he's a gritty, blue collar style player. Best comparison I can think of is Mike Schmidt. I expect similar numbers from Bryce too; 30+ hr/15+ SB/20+ DB a year, .270+ BA/.370+ OBP/.500+ SLG, 5+ WAR.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Bryce can definitely be one of the goofier interviews in baseball. Some of his quotes have become part of DC sports vernacular though. "Clown question", of course, is one. "Sun Monster", is the other, more recent example. He's also been a community fixture, very rare for non-natives. It's rare to see athletes or politicians out in the community, Bryce and Obama are both exceptions. They both have made concerted efforts to keep a high profile locally. Usually that is the reserve of native celebrities, such as Kevin Durant.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Washington Nationals, 2012 NL East division champions :D

xi0
October 02, 2012, 01:46 AM
Geez I wish the Red Sox didn't suck so badly :fail

Kaiten
October 02, 2012, 08:59 AM
That was seriously bad luck, having to close the season against the Rays.

xi0
October 02, 2012, 09:06 AM
Well, today our slot will pretty much be decided or not. Unless of course the Yankees lose, then anything can happen.

This is in full ignorance of any tiebreaker games because even though the game would be played here, I don't want such a thing to happen.

Kaiten
October 02, 2012, 09:09 AM
After not having a team of our own for so long, last night was such an amazing moment. In my time as a sports fan the 1991 Redskins are the only thing I can think of as exciting as the 2012 Nationals, and I was to young to appreciate that team the way I appreciated this Nationals team.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Well, today our slot will pretty much be decided or not. Unless of course the Yankees lose, then anything can happen.

This is in full ignorance of any tiebreaker games because even though the game would be played here, I don't want such a thing to happen.

A tiebreaker would not be good for either team. The loser would have to play two games, the tiebreaker and wild card game, before ever beginning a playoff series. That would be a nightmare. Imagining trying to set a rotation for the divisional series.

xi0
October 02, 2012, 09:18 AM
That's what I was getting at. It would be nice to play both games at home, and a part of me should just be happy we're playing more than 162 games...but no, do not want.

Kaiten
November 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
I f*&$ing :rant hate the Cardinals and [by proxy] the Rams, Blues, arches, provel, Lewis and Clarke, the Louisiana Purchase, and Mississippi River. Yes I'm still bitter. Despite the loss, this season was still the most fun I've had as a sports fan in a very long time. Can't wait until April.

---------- Post added November 13, 2012 at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was October 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM ----------

The hell is going on with the Marlins :blink

xi0
November 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Buyers remorse?

Hell, maybe it was planned from the start just to drum up buzz for the new stadium last year.

It makes the AL East a shitload more interesting on top of the usually things though :bored

Kaiten
November 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
Buyers remorse? They just opened a publicly funded mindfuck of a ballpark :XD

The traded everyone who makes money. Anyone left either is not eligible for arbitration or making the minimum. Giancarlo Stanton is all they have left and he's pissed. Worst part is that this is not the first Marlins fire sale, at least the last two came after World Series wins. Loria is a genius at destroying markets. He's the reason the Nationals are even in DC. I wonder where the Marlins move to. Considering their history, I can't imagine building any type of fanbase in Miami anytime soon.

I'm glad to know the NL East has a guaranteed 100 loss team. Not that the Marlins were that good to begin with.

xi0
November 14, 2012, 01:50 AM
The Marlins are just such a unique case. A newer franchise that has really had a bunch of success, even after gutting the team the first time they won the World Series. Plus, just like any other Pro sports team in Florida, no one goes to the games. It's just so bizarre.

As far as where they move, I'm not even aware of any talks of untapped markets elsewhere in the country like you sometimes here in the NFL. So no idea really.

Kaiten
January 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
Holy shit! The Nats just signed Rafael Soriano, two years $28mil. Did we really just sign a player away form the Yankees? Great off season, Rizzo has made some (at least on paper) brilliant moves this winter. None that cripple the team financially four or five years from now, either. We won't have to worry about dealing with the financial quagmire the Yankees currently are mired in. Hopefully we can get some good prospects back for Michael Morse.

FrostyMouse
January 17, 2013, 12:49 AM
I sort of disagreed with letting Soriano go, but Hank says that the Yankees need to be below $189m salary a year, and with bums like A-Rod on the payroll, what can you do? Mariano's getting older and I don't know how he'll be this season after the injury, albeit not a pitching injury. I thought that Soriano could be the Yankees future closer, but at this rate, I guess not.

Kaiten
January 17, 2013, 01:41 AM
In the long run, letting Soriano go was a good move for the Yankees. They will receive a first round compensatory pick (31, I believe) from the Nationals, and additional rookie pool money. The Yankees don't have a very good farm system, they are better off stockpiling prospects right now. Soriano is already a 33 year old veteran, good for a team ready to win now, not as much for a team in decline. In the short term this hurts there chances in 2013. Who knows what condition Riviera is in right now.

I'll really miss Michael Morse, a really fun player. Singing along to "Take on Me" is one of my favorite memories of the season. I was shocked we got A.J. Cole back in the deal, after trading him for Gio last off season. While he did not have a great year in the Oakland system last year, Baseball America still lists him as Oakland's number three prospect, and top minor league pitcher. He's got time to develop, our rotation is loaded. We can afford to leave him in the minors for three or four years.

predsfan
January 18, 2013, 01:00 AM
Anybody else excited for the World Baseball Classic? Looking over the rosters, I have to say there appear to be several teams that could win it. A lot of America's "top" players aren't playing,most of the Latin countries have some pretty good big leaguers on their teams, although I've never heard of anyone on the Japanese team, I don't doubt they're a good group considered they've won the only 2 WBCs, and Canada's team seems fairly solid as well. All in all, in a tournament like this, its really going to come down to pitching, and that's why I'm still hoping Justin Verlander will decide to play (if anything, it would be cool to see JV vs. Miggy).

Anyway, my predictions:
1. USA (Murica, that's why)
2. Venezuela (best hitter in the game, and a pretty solid lineup)
3. Japan (back to back winners)

Regardless, I'm just happy there will be competitive baseball in March.

Kaiten
January 18, 2013, 11:47 PM
I don't have high hopes for team USA. Giancarlo Stanton, Ryan Braun, and David Wright are the only real elite players on the team. The starting pitching looks mediocre. R.A. Dickey had a great season, but he's not exactly who I want as a number one starter. If the best American pitchers were actually in the rotation we'd steam roll the field. Imagine what a rotation of Clayton Kershaw, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Jared Weaver, and David Price would do.

I'm most interested in the Netherlands. They probably won't win, but they have some interesting players on their team. I can't wait to see more of Jurickson Profar, even if he probably will be called up by the end of April or beginning of May.

I'd give the edge to Venezuela, unlike the US and Domincan Republic, they are fielding a team with some top MLB talent. King Felix will be pitching, so will Anibal Sanchez. Panda, Miggy Cabrera, CarGo, and Asdrubal Cabrera will all be in the lineup. Some good role players like Marco Scutaro too. Japan usually fields top talent from their league, they should contend again. Looks like Yu Darvish won't be pitching though.

FrostyMouse
January 26, 2013, 01:00 AM
Brian Cashman says that it's possible that A-Rod could miss the entire season after his latest hip surgery.

Kaiten
January 26, 2013, 02:10 PM
After watching them in the playoffs, they almost seem better off without ARod. He can't hit anymore, or field. As a fan of a National League team, I don't really care about the Yankees. Don't like them, don't hate them.

Out of curiosity: the National League has now won four of the last five World Series (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), and six of the last ten (also 2003 and 2006). Why do fans still consider the American League better?

FrostyMouse
January 26, 2013, 02:27 PM
After watching them in the playoffs, they almost seem better off without ARod. He can't hit anymore, or field. As a fan of a National League team, I don't really care about the Yankees. Don't like them, don't hate them.

Out of curiosity: the National League has now won four of the last five World Series (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), and six of the last ten (also 2003 and 2006). Why do fans still consider the American League better?

Well, people like offense and HRs more than small ball and defense. The NL has been better than the AL for a while now, but the AL's more "exciting."

xi0
January 26, 2013, 06:08 PM
I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.

FrostyMouse
January 26, 2013, 06:28 PM
I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.

That is true as well.

Kaiten
February 01, 2013, 09:35 PM

That is true. They are the two highest profile franchises, even during down cycles they receive a lot of attention. The highest profile NL club is so bad right now they don't even get negative attention. Once the Cubs are respectable again, that will change.

Well, people like offense and HRs more than small ball and defense. The NL has been better than the AL for a while now, but the AL's more "exciting."

It's a bit of a stereotype that National League teams play station to station. The AL does have more offense, but it's not as big a difference as the pundits would lead you to believe. A few teams do play small ball, especially out west, but there are plenty of offensive powers too. The Brewers come to mind, The Nationals, Cardinals, and Braves too. Funny thing is that the legendary, steroid filled, 1998 home run race was between two players on National League teams. The all time home runs leader played his entire career in the National League, so did the player in second place. I honestly loathe the DH, can't stand interleague games in AL ball parks. The rhythm of the game is badly disrupted without the pitcher hitting 9th. A lot of strategy, offensive and defensive, is lost in the AL. The 7th and 8th hitters are more important in the NL too.

FrostyMouse
February 01, 2013, 09:59 PM
While I don't disagree with anything you said there, Kaiten, and I particularly agree with your point about how the DH needs to be eliminated, you don't want to take about the latest steroid issue in baseball? A-Rod's juicing some more. :derp

xi0
February 01, 2013, 10:35 PM
While Barry Bonds did play his entire career in the NL, Hank Aaron did not. He played a couple years with the Brewers, which was an AL club until 90s. He broke Ruth's RBI record as a member of the Brewers. That being said, it doesn't really change your point all that much. I'm just being anal.

Kaiten
February 02, 2013, 01:39 AM
While I don't disagree with anything you said there, Kaiten, and I particularly agree with your point about how the DH needs to be eliminated, you don't want to take about the latest steroid issue in baseball? A-Rod's juicing some more. :derp

Don't really care about ARod. He's probably not going to play this season anyway. Good riddance, hopefully he never plays again. He's washed up anyway. I watched the AL playoffs. I'm more interested in important news, like the Nationals adding a new racing president :3c

I did think it interesting no one was elected to the hall this year, even the guys they couldn't prove did steroids.

While Barry Bonds did play his entire career in the NL, Hank Aaron did not. He played a couple years with the Brewers, which was an AL club until 90s. He broke Ruth's RBI record as a member of the Brewers. That being said, it doesn't really change your point all that much. I'm just being anal.

Yes, yes of course. Just like Willie Mays played for the Mets and Johnny Unitas was a Charger :oh

xi0
February 02, 2013, 02:06 AM
I had a postscript to what I said!

:nah

:-_-

Kaiten
February 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
Zack Wheeler (Mets) is filthy. Remember the name, he will more than live up to the hype. I love his fastball location. He'll start the year in AAA, I expect him to come up sometime this year. A September call up, at the latest.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Rough first inning for Stras. A much better second inning.

xi0
February 23, 2013, 02:20 PM
You're watching Spring Training baseball?

Kaiten
February 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
Yes, I watched the first four innings. Strasburg was pitching, on national TV. It was fun.

FrostyMouse
February 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
I saw the stats at the bottom on ESPN, but to actually watch Spring Training baseball? That's something I'd never do.

On other news, Granderson breaks his arm and is out for 10 weeks, but Jeter will be ready for the first spring training game on March 10th.

Kaiten
February 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
The highlights were on Sports Center. Be prepared, Nats hype is coming.

Yankees should be terrible this year. Not Astros terrible, but terrible by Yankees standards. Looks like an 80 - 85 win team, maybe with a few lucky breaks they'll get the second wild card spot. Granderson is overrated anyway. He's a strikeout machine, doesn't hit for average, and a defensive liability (-.07 dWAR). All he really does is hit for power. Robinson Cano is the only current Yankee I really like, and he might not resign.

FrostyMouse
February 24, 2013, 09:15 PM
I don't want to have to deal with more Nats hype.

The Yankees haven't really been that good since 2004. Sure, they won the 2009 WS, but they weren't a great team. The Yankees have lacked pitching and have been overreliant on HRs for the better part of a decade.

Now that Hank doesn't want to really spend, Cano might leave. Of course, if Cano does leave, then it's a sign that the Yankees won't be competing for the WS for years.

Kaiten
February 24, 2013, 10:54 PM
It's going to be a fun season :hee

With so much money tied up in aging players, and bad contracts, the Yankees really aren't in any position to spend. They have the second highest pay roll, but not the talent to compete, and there farm system is a mess. Hank is right not to spend. He should give Cano a fair contract, he's one of the best in baseball. Otherwise they should concentrate on developing younger players.

FrostyMouse
February 24, 2013, 11:27 PM
As long as we don't have to hear about Strasburg every 30 seconds, I'm okay.

Kaiten
March 06, 2013, 12:57 PM
You'll have to hear about Harper every 30 seconds, Strasburg only every 35 seconds :amuse

A part of me was secretly glad to see fat Mike Trout.

FrostyMouse
March 06, 2013, 05:02 PM
You'll have to hear about Harper every 30 seconds, Strasburg only every 35 seconds :amuse

A part of me was secretly glad to see fat Mike Trout.

Mike Trout was great and not just because he did really well, but because it meant that we didn't have to hear about Harper.

Teixeira's sprained wrist was only supposed to keep him out two weeks, but now it's 8-10 weeks.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Talking about Harper, I go to turn on Around the Horn, and before we get to see it, we're treated to having to endure a spring training game of Strasburg vs Halladay, where Halladay outpitched Strasburg, although it was only over a few innings.

Kaiten
March 08, 2013, 08:24 PM
The Mariano Rivera farewell tore is starting. Thankfully, the National League will not be effected.

FrostyMouse
March 08, 2013, 11:50 PM
Well, it's the end of an era for the Yankees and Yankees fans. It will feel strange to not think of us as favorites to win the AL East every season anymore.

xi0
March 08, 2013, 11:55 PM
Closer...the most overvalued position in baseball :lulzobito

FrostyMouse
March 09, 2013, 12:32 AM
Closer...the most overvalued position in baseball :lulzobito

Well, you don't want Eric Gagne out there for you or anything. It is overvalued, but you still need a decent pitcher out there. If your relievers suck, you're going to be blowing games.

Of course, if your team isn't winning games and putting you in positions to actually get saves, you're not going to get them.

xi0
March 09, 2013, 12:58 AM
Well, you don't want Eric Gagne out there for you or anything. It is overvalued, but you still need a decent pitcher out there. If your relievers suck, you're going to be blowing games.

Of course, if your team isn't winning games and putting you in positions to actually get saves, you're not going to get them.

The point is that they're overpaid. There are only so many Riveras or Hoffmans, etcetcetc. Many pitchers in a good bullpen can step into the role with some success. Everybody wants that ONE guy though. The one with the attitude, or pitches with no fear out there.

FrostyMouse
March 09, 2013, 01:49 AM
The point is that they're overpaid. There are only so many Riveras or Hoffmans, etcetcetc. Many pitchers in a good bullpen can step into the role with some success. Everybody wants that ONE guy though. The one with the attitude, or pitches with no fear out there.

Of course they're overpaid, but that's not the point. You want that one guy to lock down the position and know that you can rely on him in a pressure situation. Throw out a random reliever and chances are that experienced hitters in the ninth inning will make him crack.

Mike Trout got paid like 87 times less than A-Rod last season, but Mike Trout's clearly the better player. While that's an extreme example, clearly there are better and worse players and there are plenty that are overpaid.

xi0
March 09, 2013, 02:25 AM
My point was that they're overvalued, and therefore overpaid. So yeah. :p

FrostyMouse
March 09, 2013, 08:37 AM
My point was that they're overvalued, and therefore overpaid. So yeah. :p

I was saying that while your point had some merit, it wasn't that relevant. The fact is that if you don't have a good bullpen and a solid closer, you will blow games.

xi0
March 09, 2013, 11:00 AM
I was saying that while your point had some merit, it wasn't that relevant. The fact is that if you don't have a good bullpen and a solid closer, you will blow games.

Well, sure. But I think we both agree that a bullpen is more than just a closer. He's not coming in unless that game is close and you need the middle relief on to record holds just as much as you need a closer to record saves. This isn't the day when every pitcher can throw 7-8 winning innings every outing. I just think clubs going out and paying ridiculous amounts of money for closers is silly, unless it's THE missing piece on your pitching staff and unless it's someone like Rivera. Decades ago there wasn't really such a thing as a closer, as a lot of managers treated the 8th and 9th innings in situational manner, like earlier innings.

FrostyMouse
March 09, 2013, 11:28 AM
Well, sure. But I think we both agree that a bullpen is more than just a closer. He's not coming in unless that game is close and you need the middle relief on to record holds just as much as you need a closer to record saves. This isn't the day when every pitcher can throw 7-8 winning innings every outing. I just think clubs going out and paying ridiculous amounts of money for closers is silly, unless it's THE missing piece on your pitching staff and unless it's someone like Rivera. Decades ago there wasn't really such a thing as a closer, as a lot of managers treated the 8th and 9th innings in situational manner, like earlier innings.

Of course it's not just a closer. In my post, I differentiated between the bullpen and the closer. If your middle relief isn't there, your closer can't do anything. In order to win, you need both the middle relievers (these days even a set up man) and a closer. I do think it's a bit ridiculous that some of these guys can't even go an inning before getting tired, however.

Baseball as a sport has changed, no doubt. Spending insane money on closers/relievers is a bad idea, which is why the Yankees didn't resign Rafael Soriano. What you do need to spend on are the starters. We all know that King Felix's contract is not going to be seen out by the Mariners and that he'll be traded. Giving him that massive contract was the only way to keep him in Seattle for any length of time.

xi0
March 09, 2013, 11:59 AM
For any team, it's best to grow and hold onto your starters. Just look at the track record of big name starters in free agency. It usually doesn't work out.

FrostyMouse
March 09, 2013, 12:06 PM
For any team, it's best to grow and hold onto your starters. Just look at the track record of big name starters in free agency. It usually doesn't work out.

Yeah, lately, none of Roy Halladay, CC, or Cliff Lee really worked out through free agency. Halladay got a perfect game, but apart from that, he hasn't been great. He's been good for the most part, although he's fallen away lately. Cliff Lee has just fallen apart. I never feel confident when CC's on the mound for us.

xi0
March 09, 2013, 12:16 PM
Yeah, lately, none of Roy Halladay, CC, or Cliff Lee really worked out through free agency. Halladay got a perfect game, but apart from that, he hasn't been great. He's been good for the most part, although he's fallen away lately. Cliff Lee has just fallen apart. I never feel confident when CC's on the mound for us.

I think it's symptomatic of how much starting pitching is valued and analyzed. A lot less people are holding onto washed-up talent. You always, always, always have to beware of a decent NL pitcher coming to the AL. That almost never works out.

FrostyMouse
March 09, 2013, 12:44 PM
I think it's symptomatic of how much starting pitching is valued and analyzed. A lot less people are holding onto washed-up talent. You always, always, always have to beware of a decent NL pitcher coming to the AL. That almost never works out.

Precisely.

We're going to watch last year's NL Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey get roughed up massively this season because he got roughed up by the AL East last season.

Kaiten
March 17, 2013, 12:32 PM

Roy Halladay won 21 games and the 2010 Cy Young Award at 33 years old. The Phillies won 97 games that year. He won 19 games in 2011, was Cy Young runner up, on a 102 win Phillies team. He was hampered by injuries last year, but played well down the stretch. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hallaro01.shtml

Cliff Lee was brilliant in half a season with the Phillies, helping them to 93 wins and the 2009 World Series, losing to C.C. Sabathia and the Yankees. He returned to the Phillies in 2011, winning 17 games on a 102 win team, finishing third in Cy Young voting behind Clayton Kershaw and Roy Halladay. He pitched well last year, with lack of run support killing his record. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/leecl02.shtml

In four seasons with the Yankees, C.C. Sabathia has won 19, 21, 19, and 15 games. Pitching in the AL East he has given up less than a HR a game (HR/9) every season, except 2012. He was the best pitcher on the 2009 World Series champion Yankees. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sabatc.01.shtml

All three can be considered good free agent (technically trade) pick ups, with Halladay and Sabathia being particularly good.

---------- Post added March 17, 2013 at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was March 11, 2013 at 12:44 AM ----------

Predictions:

NL East
Nationals: 95 - 100 wins
Braves: 90 - 95 wins
Phillies: 80 - 85 wins
Mets: 70 - 75 wins
Marlins: 60 - 65 wins
NL Central
Cincinnati: 90 - 95 wins
St. Louis: 85 - 90 wins
Milwaukee: 85 - 90 wins
Pittsburgh: 70 - 75 wins
Chicago Cubs: 65 - 70 wins
NL West
San Fransisco: 90 - 95 wins
Los Angeles 80 - 85 wins
Arizona: 80 - 85 wins
San Diego: 75 - 80 wins
Colorado: 60 - 65 wins
AL East
Baltimore: 90 - 95 wins
Tampa: 85 - 90 wins
Toronto: 85 - 90 wins
New York: 75 - 80 wins
Boston: 70 - 75 wins
AL Central
Detroit: 85 - 90 wins
Chicago White Sox: 85 - 90 wins
Cleveland: 75 - 80 wins
Kansas City: 75 - 80 wins
Minnesota: 70 - 75 wins
Al West
Oakland: 90 - 95 wins
Anaheim: 80 - 85 wins
Texas: 80 - 85 wins
Seattle: 75 - 80 wins
Houston: 50 - 55 wins
NL Wild Card:
Atlanta
St. Louis
AL Wild Card:
Tampa
Toronto
Boring, but I see little changing in the NL. The best teams last year either bolstered their lineup, or stood pat. The Dodgers made the splashiest moves, but I hate the composition of their team. I refuse to predict the playoffs for any team starting Josh Beckett, Hanley Ramirez, and Carl Crawford. San Fransisco is worlds better, and kept their entire team together. I'm not sure what to expect from Arizona. They have some solid players, but I'm not sure they have a complete team. I still could see them finishing ahead of LA. In the central, Milwaukee would have had a chance at the playoffs last year, if not for a horrible bullpen. That should be improved this season. Singing Tom Gorzelanny and Mike Gonzalez were good, savvy moves. Both were solid in long relief for the Nationals last year. Not all stars, but definite solutions to a major issue. If Josh Axford returns to form, the Brewers should push St. Louis for one of the wild card spots. In the east, I don't love the Upton brothers, but they should add some power to the Braves lineup. Between B.J, Justin, and Dan Uggla expect the Braves to lead the league in strike outs.

In the American league east I think the Orioles have the best overall lineup in the division, to go with solid starting pitching, and great closers. Toronto is getting all the hype, but I think there pitching is suspect. I like Dickey, and glad he is out of the NL East. I think that Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle though are washed up. Neither looked good in a cavernous, pitchers park last year. I still think they have enough to get a wild card spot. Tampa is suspect on offense, for now. I have a feeling Wil Meyers will be called up in late April, anchor the middle of their lineup, and win AL rookie of the year. With their pitching, that should be enough to earn the other wild card spot. In the central, neither Detroit nor Chicgao improved. Detroit should win the division, Chicago will probably fall just short of the wild card. Oakland will run away with the West. Anaheim is overrated. Trout is good, otherwise I don't like their lineup. Pujols struggled last year, has struggled in spring training, and probably will struggle this year. Maybe he will hit for average, his days hitting for power seem over. Hamilton's power numbers should go down, moving from a bandbox in Arlington, to a pitcher's park in Anaheim. Seattle is mediocre, Houston is terrible. Their new hats are nice though.

xi0
March 17, 2013, 01:58 PM
Wow, I must be perpetually cynical about the team or something. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a step backward and missed the playoffs to be honest. Losing Mark Reynolds is going to hurt. Especially when not replacing him with another right handed bat. Finally getting Brian Roberts back will be interesting. Does he go back to batting leadoff, or do they put McClouth there? I find it doubtful that both the Yankees and Red Sox will miss the playoffs as well, but I'll admit they're not at the same level they were some years ago. It'll be a strange year for sure.

Kaiten
March 18, 2013, 02:42 PM
Mark Reynolds was terrible. He was an effective first baseman, but an offensive liability. He could hit for power, but was otherwise an easy out. The fact is that he is not expected to be a starter this year. It looks like he will back up Nick Swisher at first base for the Indians. He was below replacement level last year, with -.1 WAR. Chris Davis is a huge upgrade.

You're just jaded. The Orioles roster actually looks formidable. Adam Jones and Matt Weiters are all-stars. Manny Machado should emerge as a star this year. Nick Markakis is back. The rest of the line-up is solid, without many real easy outs. Brian Roberts will be something of a wild card. If he is healthy his return could give the Orioles a huge lift. If he's damaged goods, I'm hearing that Jonathon Schoop (Orioles top infield prospect) is ready to come up. The Orioles did not win so many close games last year by luck, they're relievers are just that good. It's a talented team, in a mediocre division. They are going to compete.

The Yankees were mediocre to begin with, now all of their middling talent is injured. I can't imagine them making the playoffs. The Red Sox are a mess. They have almost no talent. The pitching has actually looked good this spring, but they do not look like a playoff team. The AL East will come down to the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Rays. I don't love the players the Jays got from the Marlins. I don't believe the hype. Still a solid team.

xi0
March 18, 2013, 03:17 PM
We weren't necessarily enamored with him either, but his HR output looked a lot better on a decent team than it did before that. Once Machado came up, he was moved to 1B full-time and became much better defensively. I like Chris Davis, and he is better off playing 1B more than the outfield but our team doesn't really have a pure DH that was benched in favor of someone like Davis. Betemit was that early on last season, but no one is thrilled with that prospect. It's always nice to have a surplus of hitters and we don't have that as much this year. I'd feel differently if we signed another right handed power bat, but we didn't. It doesn't cripple our team, but it would have been a nice luxury to have.

Kaiten
March 18, 2013, 04:05 PM
The fact that Reynolds can't even make the Indian's starting lineup should say everything that needs to be said. Betemit's power numbers look adequate (.422 SLG, 40 RBI) for a DH. I admit though, I'm not sure how to properly assess designated hitter. One of the benefits (along with not having to give a fuck about the Yankees) of being a National League fan. His K/BB ratio is laughable, but nothing horrible, assuming he's eighth or ninth in the order. Another power bat would have been good, that might have been enough to throw the Orioles over the top. Such is the life of a small market team, I suppose. I actually think their starting pitching is most suspect. Good, not great. Hammel, Chen, and Gonzalez are good pitchers but not necessarily an intimidating 1, 2, and 3. I have no idea what to think about Tillman, too small a sample size. He looked solid though. Jair Jurrjens is horrible. He has no business being on a major league roster. He's so bad I have to wonder if Dylan Bundy will be part of the rotation by the all star break.

xi0
March 18, 2013, 04:49 PM
Tillman seemed dead and gone prior to last season. He sees to have found something. I like everything about him, except that as a consequence of him throwing more strikes, the HR ball is still high.

The DH is for guys who can't field, but are at least good hitters. That and a spot in the lineup for your catcher if they can hit. Wieters can obviously. Betemit seems to have been a utility infielder for quite some time and isn't known for his hitting. He was better than expected last year when he played, but so were a lot of the question marks in the lineup. But there's no doubt they could of upgraded.

And the small-market thing doesn't really matter with the MASN money. We weren't going after Pujols or anything.

Kaiten
April 01, 2013, 04:26 PM
Opening day :D

Surprised to see the Astros win big last night. Not expecting a lot of that. Jose Altuve is the truth though. Bryce hitting home runs in his first two at bats of the season made my day. 45,000+ for opening day (largest regular season crowd in Nats history) was also great to see. Best part was that they still played Take on Me in the 7th, even though Michael Morse is gone. I'll be going to Nationals - Braves on April 12, which will air nationally on MLB Network.

FrostyMouse
April 01, 2013, 04:44 PM
Did you see the Yankees pathetic loss to the Red Sox? Yankee Stadium was empty, barring a few hundred fans who stayed to catch balls, by the end of the game.

I like the new getup, Kaiten.

Kaiten
April 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
Most of the Yankees are on DL, and Sabathia apparently has dead arm. Lester looked solid, not the train wreck from last year. I still think Yankees and Red Sox are fighting for last place. The Orioles - Rays game today was epic. Were it not for a few spectacular plays by Evan Longoria, the O's would not have needed to make a comeback in the 7th.

---------- Post added April 11, 2013 at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was April 02, 2013 at 06:57 PM ----------

Tomorrow night should be fun. I have tickets to the first meaningful Nationals game of the season, game one of our first series against Atlanta. The Braves currently are in first place, with a 6 game winning streak, but that has come against three miserably bad teams. Philadelphia, Chicago Cubs, and Miami are a combined 8 - 18. All should be out of contention by the end of May. The Nationals are 1.5 games back, at 6 - 2. We have so far played Miami, Cincinnati, and Chicago White Sox. Cincinnati is a legitimate contender, a 97 win team last year. The Sox are a solid, if unspectacular team. The top of their order can really hit, the rest are mediocre. We've so far demolished their pitching. We won't have to see Chris Sale though, their best pitcher.

FrostyMouse
April 11, 2013, 11:06 PM
I sadly don't want to have to hear about Bryce Harper. I turned on Baseball Tonight last night and all they wanted to talk about was Harper's 4 HRs in the first 8 games. I don't dislike Harper, it's just that ESPN hasn't shut up about him for like three years now. Mike Trout literally made baseball bearable last year.

Good luck with tomorrow's game though, Kaiten.

xi0
April 11, 2013, 11:48 PM
I sadly don't want to have to hear about Bryce Harper. I turned on Baseball Tonight last night and all they wanted to talk about was Harper's 4 HRs in the first 8 games. I don't dislike Harper, it's just that ESPN hasn't shut up about him for like three years now. Mike Trout literally made baseball bearable last year.

Good luck with tomorrow's game though, Kaiten.

Chris Davis :cookiehand

FrostyMouse
April 13, 2013, 12:48 AM
Chris Davis :cookiehand

I don't really expect him to last. Most years, there's a guy who starts out really hot, but then fades away. I think Chris or Shelley Duncan had like 7 HRs in the first 10 or 12 games one season and then ended up with like 14 or 16 by the end.

---------- Post added April 13, 2013 at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was April 12, 2013 at 01:24 AM ----------

The Jose Reyes injury saga continues, with him picking up an ankle injury that will keep him sidelined for 1-3 months.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Oh, and Kaiten, bad luck there in the 10th.

xi0
April 14, 2013, 08:46 PM
Just a goofy excerpt from Sunday Night Baseball -

The Yankees were pessimistic in Spring Training about getting an extension done with Cano, up until the point he fired Scott Boras and hired Jay-Z

:oh

Just one of those things you'd never think you'd hear

FrostyMouse
April 14, 2013, 09:13 PM

Strange. Not something I would ever imagine would happen.

I guess that if that guy LeBron met when he was in high school can work as LeBron's agent, it can work for anyone. There was a story a bunch of issues ago in ESPN The Magazine about how LeBron met a guy who was selling authentic (not the knockoff stuff you can buy for cheap) NBA jerseys and fast forward years later and that guy's LeBron's agent. You definitely save on paying ridiculous agent fees.

Kaiten
April 14, 2013, 09:49 PM

I think the gist is that Boras is ruthless, and would advice Cano not to sign an extension no matter what. No matter how much the Yankees offer he'd rather let Cano hit the open market, and let teams like the Rangers drive up the price. Jay-Z's guy might cave and take a big extension, rather than test the market next winter. The thinking might be that a new agency would be more risk averse than a seasoned agent. The Yankees have been pretty clear that they want to stay under the luxury tax threshold. The Yankees don't have the same cash advantage they used to, plenty of teams could outbid them if he becomes a free agent.

xi0
April 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I know. Boras always prefer his clients not sign extensions. I just meant that it's a pretty bizarre sentence :lmao

Kaiten
April 15, 2013, 12:53 PM
Nothing tops Ricky Williams signing Master P as his agent.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Despite losing Friday, seeing the Nats in person is always a treat. First time I got to see Bryce hit a home run in person; a laser beam, opposite field, line drive homer. I also got to see him get his first steal of the season. Detwiler was dealing too, he pitched a magnificent game. It is a shame the bullpen blew the lead. Giving up four runs in two innings is unacceptable. Right now the bullpen, and Ryan Zimmerman's arm, are my only real worry. The Braves are hot, there was almost no way to win. When even Chris Johnson (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/29616/chris-johnson) goes 8/14 for the series, all you can do is get out of the way. Last year at this time Miami was leading the NL East. The Braves are a good team, they should get to 90 wins, but I do expect them to cool off soon. They are not the best team in the league.

FrostyMouse
April 15, 2013, 01:01 PM
Where do you see your Nats in comparison to the Braves? By the end of the season, you're still picking your Nats to win the division, I'm assuming, or do you think it'll be a tossup by the end?

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

We should've done a fantasy baseball league with the MH members. There have to be people who like baseball other than you, Gary, and I, Kaiten.

xi0
April 15, 2013, 02:53 PM
I played fantasy baseball once or twice before. It was alright, but having to worry about your line up on a daily basis is pretty annoying.

FrostyMouse
April 15, 2013, 03:32 PM
I played fantasy baseball once or twice before. It was alright, but having to worry about your line up on a daily basis is pretty annoying.

I played once. You don't actually have to worry about your line up on a daily basis. You can adjust your batters for later dates when your starters don't play or switch people around to get an extra hitter in or something.

The pitchers, you can set them up ahead of time as well, so you really only need to check back every so often. However, considering that we're all on the internet every day anyway, it only takes a couple of minutes to adjust your lineup if there's something you want to change.

xi0
April 15, 2013, 03:34 PM
I played once. You don't actually have to worry about your line up on a daily basis. You can adjust your batters for later dates when your starters don't play or switch people around to get an extra hitter in or something.

The pitchers, you can set them up ahead of time as well, so you really only need to check back every so often. However, considering that we're all on the internet every day anyway, it only takes a couple of minutes to adjust your lineup if there's something you want to change.

Yeah but you don't know when your starters aren't going to play unless they're on then DL. It doesn't account for lineup changes really unless you're really on it, as lineups come out so late.

I'm not saying it isn't funny, but I prefer Fantasy Football for obvious reasons. I'd be up to play, but I doubt we'd have enough players.

Kaiten
April 15, 2013, 06:01 PM
Where do you see your Nats in comparison to the Braves? By the end of the season, you're still picking your Nats to win the division, I'm assuming, or do you think it'll be a tossup by the end?

The Braves can not be properly evaluated right now. They are too hot, and it is too early in the season. Paul Maholm's (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6398/paul-maholm) career ERA is 4.20, with a career 1.39 WHIP. Through 3 games he has not given up an earned run, with a .79 WHIP. Not even Pedro could sustain those numbers. Unless Justin Upton has matured into a cross between Tony Gwynn and Babe Ruth in their primes, he will not continue hitting .348 with an OPS of 1.306. The Braves have a really good team, I fully expect them to contend. If the Nationals bullpen plays to their career average than I do not think the division will be decided until September. Right now though I don't have much more insight than I had before the season started. April does not mean much. Look at the Reds. Last week they were as hot as anyone in baseball. They have since lost five straight, were swept by the Pirates, and had to put Johnny Cueto on the DL.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I was delighted to see that FOX now includes OPS in their telecast, along with more traditional stats.

FrostyMouse
April 15, 2013, 07:48 PM
I've never taken the Reds seriously, so I'm not surprised though. The Braves still could potentially win 100 games. This is how you have to play if you want to win that games, but unfortunately, most teams who do win 100+ games end up tired out by the end of the season and don't win the WS.

Justin Upton is the new beast. Believe it. :derp

Well, we've learned that signing for the Angels is the death knell for your career if you're starting to get older.

Kaiten
April 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
Take the Reds seriously. They are a very talented team, with the second most wins in the majors last year. They have a few injured players right now, once they are healthy they will be a nightmare. Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier, Brandon Phillips, and Zack Cozart are all outstanding players. Good pitching, and a great bullpen too. They will be in contention this season. I'd say they are better than any AL team, except the Tigers.

The problem with the Braves is that they rely on power, and timely hitting. No one in their lineup really hits for average. They play great defense, and have the best bullpen in baseball. Eric O'Flaherty and Craig Kimbrel are unhittable. If the Braves can take a lead into the eighth, that's the end of it. They are not a 100 win team. They could lose in bunches whenever their hitters go through a slump, this is not a lineup capable of playing small ball. The Nats, Reds, and Giants are all capable of playing small ball if their power ever deserts them. The Braves have good starting pitching, but nothing great. All of their pitchers are "crafty", guys that can hit 90-91mph at best. All of their starters need to be hitting their spots, need a big strike zone, and need to be "on" in every game. If they are not, they are pretty easy to knock around. Their only power pitcher, Brandon Beachy, is recovering from Tommy John. He won't be back until the end of the season. He is their true ace. I think they are a playoff contender, but not a dominant team.

FrostyMouse
April 16, 2013, 11:29 AM
Kaiten, how exactly did you become a Nats fan? You, and everyone else, just adopted them when they moved to the DC area? I trust that you didn't support them when they were in Montreal, right?

Kaiten
April 26, 2013, 08:56 PM
Kaiten, how exactly did you become a Nats fan? You, and everyone else, just adopted them when they moved to the DC area? I trust that you didn't support them when they were in Montreal, right?

It was not like that, not exactly. Nostalgia is an important part of sports, especially for baseball. That's why bandwagon fans are so disliked. Loyalty is something built from a young age. Going to games as a kid, with your family. Watching the game every Sunday. Things like that. For an expansion team, or a relocated franchise, that loyalty has to be earned. Becoming attached to a local team as an adult feels really different than growing up with a team. Sometimes it never happens, no matter how much a team wins. Look at Jacksonville, the Jaguars did not take long to become a winning franchise. Watching the Nationals emerge as a winner was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had as a sports fan. A lot of people in the area would say the same. It was not just about the winning. It's a really likable team, they are fun to root for. It took a while for people to adopt this franchise. The Expos were in disarray when they moved here. The Nationals did not even have an owner for their first season. Until 2008 they were poorly run, signing unlikable players (like Elijah Dukes), and muffing draft picks. Not only were they losing, they were unlikable. That began to change once Mike Rizzo became interim GM. He changed the culture of the team. All of the head cases were gone after 2010, when they finally jettisoned guys like Nyjer Morgan. We're kind of in that comfortable position of rooting for a model franchise. Rizzo has remodeled us into an innovative team. Our training staff even includes a doctor who helps players train the muscles around their eyes. We won't win every season, nobody does. But we can rely on this team doing what it needs to field a winner. It also helps having a young player like Bryce. Don't get it twisted: Strasburg is more hyped nationally, Harper is more popular locally.

Speaking of, he really has not looked great this year. Ignore anyone who calls him an "ace". He's not there yet. It's easy to forget that he is only 24. If it helps parse the bullshit about young pitchers, here is Justin Verlanders career stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/verlaju01.shtml

Only two seasons (2011, 2012) with ERA under three. Only three with WAR over 5 (all star level). It's not that easy to become an "ace".

---------- Post added April 26, 2013 at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was April 20, 2013 at 01:58 PM ----------

And there you have it, just like that Paul Maholm is back to his career average. In one game he goes from a 1.03 ERA with a .87 WHIP, to 3.30 and 1.20. Detroit just rocked him for 10 H, 8 R, and 3 BB, chasing him from the game after 3.2 innings. Annibal Sanchez with 17 SO after 8 shutout innings. I watched Jordan Zimmermann pitch a masterpiece tonight, a one hit, complete game shut out. Took him only 91 pitches. Second Nats one hitter in a row, both against the Reds. The staff is really starting to pitch well, the bullpen is looking good, and defense coming into shape.

FrostyMouse
April 26, 2013, 10:34 PM
Hmm, I hadn't looked at it like that.

With OKC, even when they were awful, the fans just jumped onto them because they wanted a team and didn't care what it looked like. Then when they started winning, they got more fans.

Kaiten
April 26, 2013, 11:28 PM
OKC? As in the Thunder?

Attendance was very good in 2005, the Nats first season here. People really wanted baseball, they came out and supported the team. Most of that good will was squandered, for the reasons I listed above. People genuinely have come to love this team over the last couple of years. Since Rizzo took over the culture of the franchise really has improved. It's become something of a model franchise, akin to the Giants or Braves. The owner spend money, the farm system is well stocked, good talent has been accumulated. It's a fun team, they've really endeared themselves to the community. It did not hurt that we lucked out in the draft. Not only did we get back to back number one picks, we somehow managed to get Strasburg and Harper in back to back years.
[hr]
Some kind of great pitching night, tonight. Wei-Yin Chen is throwing a 2 hit shut out through eight. He looked a little gassed, but buckled down and got three easy outs in the bottom of the eighth. At 106 pitches it doesn't look like he'll get to pitch the 9th.

FrostyMouse
April 26, 2013, 11:38 PM
OKC? As in the Thunder?

Attendance was very good in 2005, the Nats first season here. People really wanted baseball, they came out and supported the team. Most of that good will was squandered, for the reasons I listed above. People genuinely have come to love this team over the last couple of years. Since Rizzo took over the culture of the franchise really has improved. It's become something of a model franchise, akin to the Giants or Braves. The owner spend money, the farm system is well stocked, good talent has been accumulated. It's a fun team, they've really endeared themselves to the community. It did not hurt that we lucked out in the draft. Not only did we get back to back number one picks, we somehow managed to get Strasburg and Harper in back to back years.
[hr]
Some kind of great pitching night, tonight. Wei-Yin Chen is throwing a 2 hit shut out through eight. He looked a little gassed, but buckled down and got three easy outs in the bottom of the eighth. At 106 pitches it doesn't look like he'll get to pitch the 9th.

Yes, as in the Thunder.

Given that I don't currently live in a city that has a team, although I have lived in Boston, what exactly is so important about having a pro team to go watch?

Kaiten
April 28, 2013, 11:01 AM
It's just a different atmosphere at the game. The crowd, the noise, the food, seeing the players in the flesh, getting a better feel for the speed of the game. A home run is even more dramatic in person. Baseball and hockey in particular are more fun in person.

The Sonics were a very different franchise, moving under very different circumstances. Though they were rebuilding at the time, until recently they had been one of the NBA's marquee franchises. Seattle was a basketball city, the Sonics were the only local pro team to ever win a title. Nobody knows why the team was sold to an out of town group, local investors made viable bids. It was well known from the start that Clay Bennett planned on moving the team. He used stadium funding as an excuse to move them, he may or may not have negotiated with the city in bad faith. The team drafted Durant before their last season in Seattle, and were thus able to move with a highly marketable, budding superstar.

The Expos were a historically unstable franchise, with a limited local fan base. They developed some great talent over the years (Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Pedro, Randy Johnson, Larry Walker, Vlad Guerrero, etc.) but could never afford to resign their own free agents. By the early 2000's, their games were no longer broadcast in English. Then owner Jeffery Loria gutted the team, before selling them back to Major League Baseball, as part of his successful bid to buy the Marlins. Baseball planned to contract the Expos, along with the Minnesota Twins, who successfully sued to prevent contraction. The MLB were thus stuck with the Expos, and began looking into relocation. It took them two years to relocate to DC (they actually played select "home games" in Puerto Rico for a while), and then another year to find owners. The team, which didn't have fans in the first place, was by then gutted, bereft of talent at all levels. While fans were excited for baseball, the team quickly proved not only bad, but often unlikable. Aside from a notable few players like Ryan Zimmerman and Chad Cordero, many of the players they signed were very difficult to like. Surly malcontents, with a number of players getting in legal trouble. For a little perspective, the immortal Nyjer Morgan was a starter during Strasburg's rookie year. Rizzo started clearing those guys as our farm system started producing more talent.

FrostyMouse
May 08, 2013, 01:25 PM
Halladay needs shoulder surgery. He says he may be back before the season's over, but I highly doubt it.

Kaiten
May 08, 2013, 04:48 PM
Removing a bone spur is a relatively minor procedure. If he were 29, or 32, he'd probably come back this season. At 35 it's not as promising. Who knows. It's not like he fully tore his rotator cuff. This is not the same surgery Johan Santana had. His career really is done. Even though he plays for the Phillies, I wish Doc all the best. One of the best over the last ten years, and one of the all time great sinker ball pitchers. Even more impressive when you consider he pitched most of his career in the steroid era. A first ballot hall of famer, without a doubt.

FrostyMouse
May 08, 2013, 05:14 PM
That is why I said that I figured his season was over.

You're assuming, of course, Kaiten, that Doc never used the juice, even if just to help heal an injury. At this point, I never know what to think as so many players who you'd never think would use steroids did use steroids.

Kaiten
May 08, 2013, 09:52 PM
He was always to lumpy looking. Not a steroid physique. Same with Pedro. I doubt Griffey juiced either.

Jordan Zimmermann just carved up the Tigers. 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO on 101 pitches. Bottom of the seventh, the Nats are into the Tigers bullpen. This was the first run Zimmerman allowed in 20 innings, and the first time he allowed a base runner past second in that time.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Good game for Harper tonight too. 1-3, 2 RBI, 1 HR, 1 SF. He had been slumping a little, good to see.

FrostyMouse
May 09, 2013, 11:15 AM
As far as I know, using steroids to hasten the healing process doesn't give you a steroid body. The truth, and it's a sad truth, is that, at this point, you have to question every star athlete in baseball.

I don't think Doc ever used steroids, but that's not the point.

Kaiten
May 09, 2013, 10:28 PM
Baseball test now. If you have to question baseball, you have to question all sports. I am most suspicious of the sports that never suspend anyone for steroids.

FrostyMouse
May 09, 2013, 11:14 PM
Baseball test now. If you have to question baseball, you have to question all sports. I am most suspicious of the sports that never suspend anyone for steroids.

I was going to say, "then you have to question all star athletes," but I figured that that sounded too jaded. Yes, you do have to wonder about basketball.

xi0
May 09, 2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah, but we're talking about Baseball...

Anyways, I remember back when testing first got stricter, with harsher penalties. A lot of the positives seemed to be pitchers, shedding new light on the use of PDEs. You always assumed some hulking monster to be taking them.

FrostyMouse
May 10, 2013, 06:35 AM
Yeah, but we're talking about Baseball...

Anyways, I remember back when testing first got stricter, with harsher penalties. A lot of the positives seemed to be pitchers, shedding new light on the use of PDEs. You always assumed some hulking monster to be taking them.

Yeah, and that's what I was implying about Doc, Gary. Any pitcher who was awesome in the steroid era must raise eyebrows.

xi0
May 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah, and that's what I was implying about Doc, Gary. Any pitcher who was awesome in the steroid era must raise eyebrows.

It's not necessarily steroids for recovering from an injury either. There's HGH likely involved as well. Steroids can add bulk, sure. But a lot of people cycle on and off of it to stay stronger and fresh through the season. It's a grind man, and everyone gets worn down here and there. Using PDEs the right way reduces these lulls.

FrostyMouse
May 10, 2013, 05:29 PM
It's not necessarily steroids for recovering from an injury either. There's HGH likely involved as well. Steroids can add bulk, sure. But a lot of people cycle on and off of it to stay stronger and fresh through the season. It's a grind man, and everyone gets worn down here and there. Using PDEs the right way reduces these lulls.

I was just including everything under the lump sum of PEDs.

We know a lot of potential HoF pitchers have used PEDs.

Kaiten
May 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
Besides Clemons, what "potential" HOF pitchers have been connected to steroids? Not your suspicions, but actual public allegations. Shilling has been connected to steroids, but he is a borderline HOF'er at best. I can dig suspecting certain players based on performance spikes, body mass change, etc. Brady Anderson suddenly hitting 50 home runs was suspicious. Barry Bonds massive head was suspicious. ARod turning up on all those Biogenensis documents was suspicious. But this whole "everyone is guilty until proven innocent, but there is no way to prove anyone innocent" dance gets really old. Steroids are a problem, but it has gotten to the point where media and fan suspicion has become Kafka-esque paranoia.

FrostyMouse
May 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
Pettite used PEDs. Mussina's probably not a HoFer, but he used PEDs, iirc.

I do wonder heavily about Toronto's Bautista.

xi0
May 25, 2013, 10:16 PM
Besides Clemons, what "potential" HOF pitchers have been connected to steroids? Not your suspicions, but actual public allegations. Shilling has been connected to steroids, but he is a borderline HOF'er at best. I can dig suspecting certain players based on performance spikes, body mass change, etc. Brady Anderson suddenly hitting 50 home runs was suspicious. Barry Bonds massive head was suspicious. ARod turning up on all those Biogenensis documents was suspicious. But this whole "everyone is guilty until proven innocent, but there is no way to prove anyone innocent" dance gets really old. Steroids are a problem, but it has gotten to the point where media and fan suspicion has become Kafka-esque paranoia.

What does HoF consideration have to do with any of this? I'm merely saying that the amount of pitchers suspended for PEDs is disproportionate to what you'd expect. Out of the 30 major leaguers suspended at least once for positive tests, 14 were/are pitchers. It goes against what you'd think PEDs are generally used for, liked I said, power hitting. The numbers are sort of mirrored among minor leaguers with MLB experience - 22 out of 47 are pitchers. People generally look to these guys with inflated power numbers, when in reality, the people throwing the ball to them should be viewed with just as much suspicion.

The paranoia isn't the media's fault, it's MLB's fault. But they can't protect their brand from everything, if people are careful enough, they'll never get caught. Millions of dollars are at stake.

---------- Post added May 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was May 11, 2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YZUNRZ4lDf0

:rofl

Kaiten
July 22, 2013, 04:48 PM
That balk was bullshit. Should have been an 8 inning shutout. A masterpiece by Strasburg nevertheless.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Nothing feels more satisfying than taking a series from the Phillies. I don't care how mediocre they have become, I still hate them.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Tehran walked Ike Davis. Ike Davis should never be walked. He's currently on a 2-44 streak.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Ike Davis clutch 2 RBI single :o

Gave the Mets a 2 run lead, bottom of the eighth.

---------- Post added May 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was May 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

An interesting article about Walter Johnson's (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnswa01.shtml) (bizarre) throwing motion http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22315054/just-because-the-incredible-throwing-motion-of-walter-johnson

---------- Post added June 01, 2013 at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was May 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM ----------

Anthony Rendon was promoted to AAA last night. AAA is not somewhere top prospects are meant to stay for long, unless they are blocked. Top prospects are sent to AAA for polishing, final preparations before recalling them to the majors. Should be interesting to see how much second base (he came up as a third baseman) he plays, there is a good chance they are prepping him to replace Danny Espinosa (.164/.195/.283).

---------- Post added June 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was June 01, 2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

Tommy John surgery for Dylan Bundy. Good thing he's only 20.

---------- Post added July 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was June 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM ----------

Heads have started to role, Braun suspended for the rest fo the season. In exchange for the reduced suspension, he has waived his right to appeal.

Kaiten
October 26, 2013, 10:43 PM
Kozma :rant

Did this boob really beat us?

xi0
November 27, 2013, 12:07 PM
https://twitter.com/FeinsandNYDN/status/405742246357925888

Had to smile when I read this

Kaiten
November 28, 2013, 11:03 PM
I wonder if Moose will make the Hall of Fame. Seems like a borderline candidate to me. A case could be made for, a case could be made against. If he does, I don't think it will be this year. This is a pretty good ballot. Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux definitely get in this year. I think Biggio gets in this year too. Mike Piazza could make it this year, but I don't think so.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2014.shtml

xi0
November 28, 2013, 11:46 PM
I don't know, but he would be in my Hall of Fame if it was by my standards.

Kaiten
December 04, 2013, 12:28 AM
The Yankees are overspending on moderately talented veterans again. Such a nostalgic feeling.

Kaiten
February 26, 2014, 02:57 PM
It's finally been put out of it's misery (http://www.masnsports.com/nationals_buzz/2014/02/for-nats-os-inter.html). Thank fucking god. Nothing against the Orioles announcers, they are very good, but the split booth got annoying after a while. I want to hear our guys talk about our team.

Only about a month until opening day :pleased

Kaiten
April 01, 2014, 06:59 PM
OMG CC Sabathia is done. Fastball topping out at 88mph, gave up 6 runs in 2 innings to the Astros.

Yankees vs. Astros is just weird. Still doesn't feel right. If I could get used to Brewers in the NL, I guess I can get used to 'Stros in the AL.

FrostyMouse
April 01, 2014, 07:09 PM
OMG CC Sabathia is done. Fastball topping out at 88mph, gave up 6 runs in 2 innings to the Astros.

Yankees vs. Astros is just weird. Still doesn't feel right. If I could get used to Brewers in the NL, I guess I can get used to 'Stros in the AL.

Yeah, I was listening on the way home from class just now. CC's just done.

In terms of the Brewers, I just want them to shrivel up and die, just so that I could see the reaction on Bud Selig's face.

I haven't been paying attention to preseason. Are they doing that whole big conference thing this year, or is it still divisions? I assumed it was still divisions within a league, as I'm sure I would've heard something.

xi0
April 02, 2014, 01:30 AM
Don Baylor.........WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Holy shit, someone needs to destroy that tape...

Kaiten
April 02, 2014, 02:36 PM
Don Baylor.........WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Holy shit, someone needs to destroy that tape...

How the hell does that even happen? Only in baseball.

xi0
April 02, 2014, 04:20 PM
My Dad has an artificial hip and it seems like the type of thing that would happen if an implant fails, but he went through surgery and they still maintain it's a broken leg and he got 5 screws in it to boot. It's crazy, never seen anything like it.

FrostyMouse
April 02, 2014, 04:40 PM
How does that happen? It just breaks.

xi0
April 02, 2014, 04:45 PM
Seems like a bone in his thigh, near the hip. It looks almost like a hip dislocation. It was probably compromised already and just a freak thing...

Kaiten
April 02, 2014, 09:20 PM
Your 2014 New York Mets

http://i.imgur.com/BFjhWqx.png

Kaiten
June 29, 2014, 08:18 PM
Holy fuck... (http://m.mlb.com/video/v33614681/oaklaa-cespedes-throws-out-norris-at-the-plate/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140611_25748436)

---------- Post added June 29, 2014 at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was June 11, 2014 at 01:18 AM ----------

Best thing about following the NL is not having to hear about Jeter.

Kaiten
September 16, 2014, 09:28 PM
BELTWAY BASEBALL!

xi0
September 16, 2014, 09:38 PM
AIN'T THE BEER COLD

Kaiten
September 28, 2014, 03:07 PM
Clinching on Atlanta's field made this feel extra special.

---------- Post added September 25, 2014 at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was September 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/515271674401669120

---------- Post added September 28, 2014 at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was September 25, 2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

Hands down my favorite moment as a sports fan. In any sport, from any team.

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/516314673688616960

FrostyMouse
September 28, 2014, 04:53 PM
Nice catch to end it.

Sadly, the Nats' first no-hitter will be overshadowed by Jeter's final game.

Kaiten
September 30, 2014, 10:45 PM
Can a major league manager be fired in the 6th Inning? Just asking, no reason.

Sadly, the Nats' first no-hitter will be overshadowed by Jeter's final game.

It was?

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

This game is insane.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Bottom of the 8th. One run game. Runners on the corner. Winning run on first. Ned Yost is the manager. DRAMA.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Tying run on 3rd, one out, two straight strike outs, swinging at balls out of the zone. Right now I feel sorry for Royals fans.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Holy fuck this is a good game.

FrostyMouse
September 30, 2014, 11:57 PM
It really is, Kaiten.

I thought that the Royals were done after the 8th, but that was a great ninth inning by the Royals.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Runner on third with two outs. Maybe KC can do it.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

On we go to the 12th.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Oh, yeah, 8-7 Oakland.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

8-8

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

The Royals win 9-8.

xi0
October 02, 2014, 07:47 PM
What a shitfest. That wasn't a good game, neither of those teams were seemingly trying to win it. Horrible managerial decisions, bad fielding, worse baserunning...a catcher dropping what was basically a pitchout :lmao

Kansas City won't do anything against the Angels looking like that.

---------- Post added October 02, 2014 at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was October 01, 2014 at 02:28 AM ----------

CRUUUUUUUZ :kreygasm

Kaiten
October 02, 2014, 08:04 PM
What a bludgeoning. Detroit kind of sucks. They've kind of sucked since the trade deadline.

It really is, Kaiten.

I thought that the Royals were done after the 8th, but that was a great ninth inning by the Royals.

I think KC's win probability going into the 8th was something like 3%. That comeback was ridiculous, especially for a small ball team. Especially with that manager.

What a shitfest. That wasn't a good game, neither of those teams were seemingly trying to win it. Horrible managerial decisions, bad fielding, worse baserunning...a catcher dropping what was basically a pitchout :lmao

Kansas City won't do anything against the Angels looking like that.

---------- Post added October 02, 2014 at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was October 01, 2014 at 02:28 AM ----------

CRUUUUUUUZ :kreygasm

It was a really exciting game. Both managers sucked. Everybody knows Yost is terrible. KC played like they wanted to win. It was really fun, exciting baseball, if not the best played game ever.

KC has a chance against the Angels. A small one, but still a chance. The Royals pitching is much better than the Angels. If it weren't for Yost I would consider the possibility of an upset.

Orioles knock in a few more while I was typing. Anything can happen in five games, but Baltimore is obviously the better team.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

dumpster fire. WOW.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Has Coke thrown a strike yet? Feels like he hasn't.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Mercy rule?

xi0
October 02, 2014, 08:04 PM
Longest inning in the history of the wuuuuuuuurrrrrhhhllllddddd :4head

Kaiten
October 02, 2014, 08:12 PM
If this were little league the Tigers would be crying.

xi0
October 02, 2014, 08:14 PM
Ah come on, it's fine, we'll give them a participatory trophy