PDA

View Full Version : Should I read manga after watch OP anime?

ahfei
January 09, 2007, 03:11 AM
i just watch the whole OP series in these 2 weeks. Will i miss any dialogues or scene if i dont read the manga? What i mean is there any difference btw anime and manga other than filler anime?

sushi
January 09, 2007, 03:13 AM
better read the manga... better at some point

ahfei
January 09, 2007, 03:41 AM
better read the manga... better at some point

whats different exactly?

sushi
January 09, 2007, 04:42 AM
I'm not particularly sure but you might miss some important data which occurs quite often when they make anime from a manga

JoJoJO
January 09, 2007, 07:18 AM
Only thing different about the anime and manga his the Davy Back Fight arc. It was done totally different from the manga but I still prefer the anime version to the manga version

mars0103
January 09, 2007, 07:58 AM
manga is better all round though

sushi
January 09, 2007, 08:00 AM
the manga is way cooler

JoJoJO
January 09, 2007, 08:02 AM
Nope, the anime his better than the manga.

Absolutio
January 09, 2007, 12:33 PM
I'm not particularly sure but you might miss some important data which occurs quite often when they make anime from a manga

It's more often the other way around.. Anime is usually being made after chapters of manga, so its like 2nd time making the same chapter, so you can throw more info that you forgot to put in the 1st drawing, and there are a lot of places where the anime explains stuffs that the manga forgot to.

About your question.. If you aint lazy, read the whole manga. If you are lazy, I think that the current Anime episode is somewhere around 406 manga episode, so you can try reading from there..

Koen
January 09, 2007, 01:36 PM
I always read the manga first for two main reasons:

1. more information in the manga often
2. I can not read manga of watched anime

ahfei
January 09, 2007, 03:39 PM
It's more often the other way around.. Anime is usually being made after chapters of manga, so its like 2nd time making the same chapter, so you can throw more info that you forgot to put in the 1st drawing, and there are a lot of places where the anime explains stuffs that the manga forgot to.

About your question.. If you aint lazy, read the whole manga. If you are lazy, I think that the current Anime episode is somewhere around 406 manga episode, so you can try reading from there..

haha thanks..you hit it..i am lazy(u seem to suspect it)..but this time i will read it...

OP_overlord
January 09, 2007, 04:22 PM
i did the same thing but i started after skypekia with reading teh manga it is better in my opion but i still like the anime (not dubed) but read teh manga from 406 ish

sushi
January 10, 2007, 06:04 AM
hahhaha lazy people but i don read the skypie

Mugiwara_no_Jack
January 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
Read first the manga and then watch the anime

jeffhmwong
January 10, 2007, 09:23 AM
I think it depends whether u are patient enough. Traslated anime is way behind manga...

If u cant wait, its best u follow manga..

Azurel
January 11, 2007, 01:39 AM
I watch the anime first and then read the manga chapter that corresponds with the episode. Reading the manga earlier spoils the anime for me XD It's the same for all other anime ^^

jeffhmwong
January 13, 2007, 07:01 AM
Yea...tats Y i onli stick to manga....

No anime for me.

sushi
January 13, 2007, 07:31 AM
easier and much more manageable

Azurel
January 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
lol, its turning into a anime vs manga discussion rather than the benefits of reading manga after watching the anime...

Different ppl have different style I suppose.. Reading manga and watching anime for me is just 2 times the fun.. Sometimes, I find that anime missed out some details but at other times, I find the transition in the anime better than the manga.. So it's kinda good to do both :)

ax999
January 14, 2007, 07:20 AM
i personally read the manga and then watch the anime... i like the action sequences a little better in the anime but i cant resist the temptation to read ahead in the manga... even though i know what will happen in the anime, i still enjoy watching it.

OP_overlord
January 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
i too like the fights in teh anime i dont have to picture them in my head when it is going on in the manga and i like the color i have a thing with just black and white

Kalkoen
January 15, 2007, 03:00 AM
I have watched the anime up to 290 and then read the manga cause i couldent wait :D

Azurel
January 15, 2007, 05:49 AM
i too like the fights in teh anime i dont have to picture them in my head when it is going on in the manga and i like the color i have a thing with just black and white
yeah, sounds a lot like me XD

jeffhmwong
January 15, 2007, 07:42 AM
But anime is so slow.......

Azurel
January 15, 2007, 08:50 AM
patience is virtue :p

spactaa
January 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
I watch the anime first and then read the manga chapter that corresponds with the episode. Reading the manga earlier spoils the anime for me XD It's the same for all other anime ^^

To me it's exactly the oposite, anime is a bonus to the manga, with the cool voices, nices musics and flashy animation, that's something I don't need to apreciate a story, but that can really enhance the experience ... or destroy it when it's lamely done. Anime mostly always comes after the manga so, it's quite logical.

About the topic...I think in one piece it's not necessary to read the manga in addition to the anime, if your concern is about the plot, the anime details mostly everything the manga does, so don't worry.

yoniekai
January 15, 2007, 09:33 AM
i dont like the luffy anime character compared to the original luffy manga... he's too serious and kinda annoying at times... and older. so to me the manga is important if you really want to enjoy one piece that much :amuse

Pevee
January 15, 2007, 11:13 AM
I only stick to manga, so I might be wrong here.
If you're planning on reading the manga and watch the anime, I think you should go with reading the manga first, so that you can enjoy the anime better. It's like the maincourse food and the anime is your dessert that compliments the manga.
I personally like the manga better because of the art in it, the artist spends more time on drawing each scene (i wonder) and many scenes can be so dramatic in black and white.

Stephman
January 15, 2007, 03:06 PM
The manga has more info about what really happend. Like how sanjis teacher lost his leg. It's not the same in the manga as it is in the anime

caco
January 16, 2007, 12:27 PM
the manga is way better because in the manga the plot is solid in the anime they sometimes change things that make the plot less solid

sushi
January 17, 2007, 06:46 AM
see many people helps you here so what did you decided on?

Azurel
January 17, 2007, 07:20 AM
About the topic...I think in one piece it's not necessary to read the manga in addition to the anime, if your concern is about the plot, the anime details mostly everything the manga does, so don't worry.

Yep, I think that's the answer if that was your concern here ^^ One Piece rarely strays from the main plot as compared to other anime I know.

Kalkoen
January 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
Yep, I think that's the answer if that was your concern here ^^ One Piece rarely strays from the main plot as compared to other anime I know.

Jup that's wat makes it great :D

ahfei
January 17, 2007, 09:40 AM
see many people helps you here so what did you decided on?

i had decided to read manga. In fact, i already finished reading it. (Argh, quick reply doesnt have smile icon.)
Dam fast and not lazy. I found some scene a little bit different, but both are great.

and i suggest everyone read both manga and watch anime! :eyeroll

xr3b0rn5inx
January 31, 2007, 12:06 AM
But wats the difference between the manga and anime story?

ZealoticBlade
January 31, 2007, 12:21 AM
In my humble opinion, the manga is vastly superior to the anime - not only because the art style in the anime is kind of generic wheras Oda's is quite distinctive, but because the manga doesn't have filler, lame fight extensions, and hour after hour of recaps and discussions meant to stretch things out. While the anime is quite epic - particularly with the music - the manga is simply supreme.

kadodo
January 31, 2007, 12:35 AM
I can tell you right now that I started watcing the anime firdt and I stopped at episode 280. I picked up with the manga and I did not miss anything, so I say that the anime is definitely worth watching especially if you want to catch up sooner. Watch the anime then the manga. Personally, I don't think there is that much difference except after episode 280 there was a lot of flashbacks, but it still follows the manga perfectly besideds that everything is cool.

venicia777
January 31, 2007, 12:36 AM
Well, i have to admit- One Piece is the only Anime-Manga combo that i never get tired of watching both. i have read one piece since it started (manga- 97 right?) same goes for the anime. It is not the same for any other anime-manga combo like Naruto, bleach, DBZ and many many others. I never seem to get disinterested.

There are some times the manga seems or feels better (maybe it is the suspense factor attributed to waiting for the next chapter0. And sometimes the anime is just superb for the same scenes- plot-story material. For me they complement each other fine-- for One Piece only. I wouldnt miss one for the other.

bakashijinsan
January 31, 2007, 01:06 AM
Both are good.

But I like the manga more. I seem to feel the intensity of the fights more in the manga than in the anime. Plus, in the anime, some scenes were changed so that it won't be too disturbing to the viewers (like how Belmel died). While I understand that side of the anime, I prefer the straighforwardness of the manga.

For me manga has more advantages. 1) it saves me more time 2) I can be updated with the story 3) Even at work, you can read it without disturbing other people or being caught by your boss :p 4) Doesn't take that much time to download and doesn't take up too much space in your HDD. I mean, a single anime episode of OP can amount to at least 8~10 Volumes of manga already. 5) and as aforementioned, no fillers! :amuse

OP_overlord
February 01, 2007, 12:03 AM
i dont understand the whole thing with downloading this things i use no download sites and i get the same quality well not on the anime but that doesnt realy both me cause i read teh manga more it is eaisier to get hooked on it comes out faster and i dont wanna have to go back and listen to the came stuff agian whicih i would have to do if i were to watch the anime religously

neild
June 16, 2007, 02:06 AM
u better read the manga.first i love the anime more than the manga because of all the moving pics and music element in it.but now because the anime is slowed in progress by side stories which oda didnt make (as far as i know) and ridicolous amount of flashbacks (which it thought were unneccesarry during the cp9 arc,luckily they were reedemed by the flashback of merry's upon its death on episode 312 with touching music.i would be very happy if someone can tell me the song name and singer). i thought i just cant wait for the new anime to be available to download every 2 weeks.the manga on the other hand provide faster progress on the story and patience is not my strongest attribute.

Paz42
June 18, 2007, 01:52 PM
ye i started watching the anime after downloading the Many Lemons - Sail on AMV if youve not seen it find it and watch it its amazing but any way then i just got sick of waiting to find out what was going to happen now ill just watch the odd anime episode when theres gonna be a fight or somthing speacil like gear2nd/3rd or monster point but its well worth watching and reading its a nice comparison in my opinon

Hawkuro
June 18, 2007, 06:03 PM
I recommend reading the manga and following the anime too, so you don't miss out on anything.

When you're up to the newest chapter and episode, it isn't hard to follow both.

EDIT:

BTW, the anime story is pretty much the same, except for filler and the Davy back fight arc. The One Piece anime is not like FMA, where the anime's plot is completely different from the manga.

ibra87
June 18, 2007, 06:13 PM
IMO the reasons why you'd rather want to read the manga are:

- You just hate the colors
- You hate the fillers (by that I also mean the extra lines and scenes in non-filler episodes)
- You don't have time
- You are the person who just hates anime
- You want more violence (Like how Luffy got his scar, and how Bellamy didn't "grab" the guy's hand)
- You watched 4Kid's dub (please no discussion of this matter here :darn)

But since I did none of these above, I am still a loyal anime fan and have still not caught up with the manga.

studwo
June 18, 2007, 07:02 PM
............................ Read manga first.

ibra87
June 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
Don't worry studwo, I have read it 'till the end of Enies Lobby already. Got tired of reading >.>

neild
June 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
i mean do we all remember back then when we watched dragon ball z anime where there is no filler whatsoever.that is why it is so good.that is why whomever draws the anime should just follow what oda made, not creating or adding new scene. It ruined oda's awesomeness. If we can go back to those dragon ball era...

Hawkuro
June 26, 2007, 01:29 PM
What are you talking about?

DBZ had lots of filler, for example the garlic junior arc and Gohan's training with Piccolo...

Not as much filler as anime today though.

Limba Limba no Mi
June 27, 2007, 06:23 AM
There is only manga to me. anime always risks to do not be liked like manga. maybe you dont like the voices, surely it will be censored in many points, surely they will add stupid and useless scenes just to take time before the manga's story goes on, surely even the drawing style will be at least a little different.
Manga is all. Manga is the best. Never to late to start reading manga. You will always get in love with it. And prefer it to the anime. The exception is Saint Seiya :P

Slippers
June 27, 2007, 10:46 PM
Manga.
I watched some of the OP episodes and the graphics and everything are really bad and they dont bring out the idea that the manga was doing.
And plus the manga's the original
Sometimes it gets kinda distorted when it gets transformed into anime so that's why it has to be manga

SympathyX
June 28, 2007, 08:22 AM
theres virtually no difference. just watch the anime unil you catch up and then read the manga from where you left off.

worked for me