PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Beer Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

kkck
November 19, 2011, 02:04 AM
Technically not cooking but this is probably the safest place for this thread lol. Simple, which brand or type of beer is your favorite?

When it comes to beers I have 2 rules:

1.- There is no such thing as an excuse to put ice in a beer (not even it being warm).
2.- No light beer.

As for my first rule, I think there is something inherently wrong with making beer blander. The explanation for my first rule would explain my reasoning for the second rule lol.

As for my favorite type of beer, I am reasonably standard and particularly enjoy lager. My favorite at the moment is grolsch, followed by becks and heineken. I also enjoy pilsen although at the moment there isn't a particular brand I enjoy more than others. Occasionally I also enjoy a good stout although my choice in this ones has also been rather limited, I have tried only franziskaner (however it is supposed to be written) and enderger (or was it endenger?). I have tried ales but I have yet to develop a love for it (it will have to be an acquired taste contrary to the others which were love at first sip back in my teens lol).

Koen
November 19, 2011, 03:48 AM
No excuses for messing up your beer or messing up your way of drinking beer. Whoever has the idea of doing ice cubes in his beer is crazy

Give me a good trappist or Karmeliet, heavy blond beers are a win

kkck
November 20, 2011, 12:33 AM
I actually have been looking for a good lager these days (not a pale lager like heineken, grolsch or becks). Any recommendations (specially if they are available at the US).

mikkih
November 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
Although I hardly drink, Black-and-Tan (Guinness & Harp) is a piece of art. It is so beautiful~.
I think canned Guinness and Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout are rich and awesome.

*edit: kkck, would you care for Harp lager? Would it be too pale for you?

** edit: forgot to mention Pilsner - another pale lager...

*** edit: another awesome beer: Spaten

**** edit: If you don't like any, brew your own. (You need to live in a colder area to brew lager.)

shinsengumi
November 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
best 2 - Efes Pilsen and Tuborg
Miller from times to times - tho i consider it juice rather than beer
i only seriously dislike heineken ,its so tasteless

k-dom
November 20, 2011, 06:30 PM
Yes Koen, long life to belgium biers !!!

All the trapist are grate in particular the rochefort and chimey.
I tend to prefer brown bier so i also enjoy a guiness from time to time
In US the only i liked were the micro breweries type

kkck
November 20, 2011, 11:10 PM
I haven't tried harp lager. I googled it and it seems pretty standard pale lager so I wouldn't mind trying it (most of my favorite beers are pale lagers anyways). I have tried spaten and I do enjoy it, excellent beer IMO.

I never got the impression heineke was tasteless though. Perhaps you simply are used to more bitter beers than me though lol.

Went to the supermarket and made my own six pack from a selection of beers. One of my picks was shock top. Did not enjoy it at all.

k-dom
November 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
Today one of my german colleague offered me an Einbecker Winter bock dopplebock. From what I understood, bocks are seasonal biers (there is also a may bock). In this one, the taste of malt is stronger and the alcohol is bigger than average german bier (7,5%). But for me it was perfect :-)

mikkih
November 22, 2011, 01:15 PM
Today one of my german colleague offered me an Einbecker Winter bock dopplebock. From what I understood, bocks are seasonal biers (there is also a may bock). In this one, the taste of malt is stronger and the alcohol is bigger than average german bier (7,5%). But for me it was perfect :-)I sure do vote for Einbecker~ It's a great beer.

kkck
November 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
tried Guinness today. It was ok but not particularly a flavor I am used to lol. Good stuff though.

mikkih
November 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
tried Guinness today. It was ok but not particularly a flavor I am used to lol. Good stuff though.Did you try a can or a bottle? (Canned one is much better imo.) Stout is probably an acquired taste. Do you like amber?

kkck
November 25, 2011, 01:23 AM
I tried the bottled one. I usually avoid cans because there have been cases in which I can actually taste the metal lol, I was under the impression the flavor would be purer from a bottle so to speak (I don't have the facts on the matter though, if evidence suggests beer is better from a can then I would have to reconsider my position).

What do you mean by amber? I know I have tried amber beers but I don't particularly recall any.... Aren't amber beers pale ales? If they are I have tried a couple but I can't say I enjoyed them (although I think it is because of the particular beers I picked rather than I disliking the overall style). Now that I think about it, I have an amber 2 equis in my fridge however dos equis is more of a pilsner than an ale....

Well, on another matter since it is the thanksgiving break and I am not from the US and have no family whatsoever there I am naturally completely bored (naturally most people I know left). To kill time I have taken the time to actually research beer in hopes of becoming an enthusiast and learning a bit about the whole thing (I knew I didn't know much about beers to begin with but I did not think it would be THAT little lol, I would have thought 6 years of trying different beers at every time I had would teach me something). If anyone is familiar with a web site or book that can help it would be awesome. What would be even more awesome is something with recommended beers and a description of them (flavor, smell, color and so on) so as to see what exactly I am looking for in a beer and better distinguish flavors in them. I went to a wine thing which had something like that and now I can tell the acidity, amount of sugar and alcohol volume by looking at it lol (its the sort of thing you learn in 20 minutes so its not that big a deal either though). Maybe information of hoppiness vs maltiness (I find I enjoy the hoppiness so far).

On another note, budweiser sucks.

mikkih
November 25, 2011, 12:58 PM
Ok, kkck, you are bored. Then I will give you a mission on Guinness. What trick does the can of Guinness offer that ordinary cans don't?

kkck
November 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
^The sad part about that is that I actually looked into it lol. You are talking about the widget right? Did not expect to see that lol, now I gotta go look for beer that comes with that. Still, from what I read bottles also include their own widget so wouldn't that be preferable to the canned version?

mikkih
November 25, 2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe you could experiment bottled one vs canned like this (http://www.damnthatsgoodbeer.com/2010/07/cans-vs-bottles-for-your-beer-is-there-any-damn-difference-part-1/) and write up a report here. What do you think?

kkck
November 26, 2011, 03:06 AM
Seems interesting although writing a review on the whole thing is a damn pain (and me being unable to write the poetic stuff about flavor, smell and color would result perhaps in something similar to what he wrote to boot lol). I will definitely experiment though, I just need to finish the six pack in my fridge (or WTH, I might just go and get the damn things lol). It is kinda strange that the guiness from the bottle would be that different though. It makes sense that the can would provide the beer with more protection from light but the black plastic over it should be fairly protective as well (and it is not like they are left at noon exposed to the sun during transit either). Weird stuff lol. Anyways, I saw this on the guiness web page, dunno if you have seen it before.
http://www.guinness.com/en-us/thebeer-es.html

There are videos on exactly how to pour a guiness lol. The moment I saw this I just had to watch it and I swear to god it made me thirsty as hell lol.

Anyways, I did notice something completely off in the review you showed in closer inspection. I don't think the guiness from the can and the guiness from the bottle are the same at all. Once is guiness draught and the other is an extra stout, wouldn't they be completely different? not sure why the draft would be stronger than the extra stout though.

edit: Just confirmed that the draught is actually presented in canned and bottled forms lol, disregard previous part of the post lol. Still, something to look out for when buying guiness.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

On another note, I have been having fun with this web page.
http://beeradvocate.com/
Review for hundreds of beers from several people. It has been fairly useful to me so far. Enjoyed seeing them butcher budweiser (a little disappointed that groslch was rated so low though but what ya gonna do...).

Teubier
November 26, 2011, 04:16 AM
Yebisu (gold, green and black), Bush aka Scaldis (amber preferably).
Not really beers but Asahi Sparx 9 and Desperados are really nice after physical effort.
As to the worst I drank, if I may, I would say Amsterdam Maximator.

xi0
November 26, 2011, 05:29 AM
kkck, if you want a good ale, go with Smithwick's Irish red ale. Nothing too fancy or overpowering about it.

As far as my opinions...I like a wide range of different types of beers. Belgium definitely has the best, most superior tasting breweries though. Anything from a Strong Pale or Dark Ale, a Tripel, to even Lambic if I want something sour. Most Trappist beers have that extra "umph" and complexity, but without really feeling as heavy as they are. Can't go wrong with a good Stout either.

There are smaller breweries here in the US who make really good beers though, like Magic Hat, Dogfish Head, and a local one, Flying Dog. They make a bunch of different types of beers. Naturally, you'll probably prefer certain styles over others. Maybe you just don't like Ale? A lot of Ale is ruined by too much filtering IMO.

If you want a good Amber Lager go with Honey Brown (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/832), if you can find it.

kkck
November 26, 2011, 09:37 PM
I have actually tried dogfish head lol. Tried their palo santo and the 60 minute ipa. I liked the palo santo better.... Anyways, dunno why but when I try ales there is something I have disliked so far... Obviously they are not bland or anything of the sort but there is a flavor in particular there which I dislike, not sure how to explain it (I suspect it is actually the ale flavor but I can't be too sure with what I know right now).

Gonna try a dos equis amber right now.

xi0
November 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
I have actually tried dogfish head lol. Tried their palo santo and the 60 minute ipa. I liked the palo santo better.... Anyways, dunno why but when I try ales there is something I have disliked so far... Obviously they are not bland or anything of the sort but there is a flavor in particular there which I dislike, not sure how to explain it (I suspect it is actually the ale flavor but I can't be too sure with what I know right now).

Gonna try a dos equis amber right now.

Dos Equis makes a pretty decent beer, at least in comparison to other "Mexican" brands. Let me know if it's good.

Kaiten
November 27, 2011, 12:22 AM
I actually have been looking for a good lager these days (not a pale lager like heineken, grolsch or becks). Any recommendations (specially if they are available at the US).

Weinhenstephaner (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/712) makes an outstanding lager with a nice, crisp flavor to it with almost no bitterness. Thy are better known for their heffe but the lager is very good too.

Not sure about my favorite, probably Kwak or Weinhenstephaner's Heffe. Overall I prefer strong, high alcohol beers particularly Belgian. I have not had all of the Trappists yet but Chimay and Orval are among my favorites.

If your looking for ale, Samuel Smith makes the best. They are a great Yorkshire based brand with a number of very English styles. I am partial to their Nut Brown Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576).

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

And yeah, beer advocate is a great site! I have them book marked on my phone, I read the reviews when I'm in the beer store :p

kkck
November 27, 2011, 12:38 AM
Dos Equis makes a pretty decent beer, at least in comparison to other "Mexican" brands. Let me know if it's good.

It was actually pretty decent, I liked it better than the regular dos equis. It has a little more flavor and I was surprised at how dark it actually was. Its worth the try lol.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Weinhenstephaner (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/712) makes an outstanding lager with a nice, crisp flavor to it with almost no bitterness. Thy are better known for their heffe but the lager is very good too.

Not sure about my favorite, probably Kwak or Weinhenstephaner's Heffe. Overall I prefer strong, high alcohol beers particularly Belgian. I have not had all of the Trappists yet but Chimay and Orval are among my favorites.

If your looking for ale, Samuel Smith makes the best. They are a great Yorkshire based brand with a number of very English styles. I am partial to their Nut Brown Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/576).

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

And yeah, beer advocate is a great site! I have them book marked on my phone, I read the reviews when I'm in the beer store :p

I will see if I can find them, although I will probably need a better place to look for it (the supermarket where I go to has decent variety but it is still pretty much very standard. I do enjoy the bitterness though.

mikkih
November 27, 2011, 12:30 PM
 Being a big fan of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout, I must agree with you, but since kkck likes light colored beer, New Castle may be easier for him to start.

kkck
November 27, 2011, 03:03 PM
I am not bent on the light colored part, I do want to try stronger beers. In particular I am interested in finding stronger lagers and breaking off the traditionally mass produced ones(which will prove difficult specially once I go back home where you would only find the local mass produced ones lol).

mikkih
November 27, 2011, 05:50 PM
kkck, what weiss beer have you tried?

kkck
November 27, 2011, 08:59 PM
Only 2 up to the point and I did enjoy them. I tried Franziskaner some time ago and it is pretty much one of the best beers I have tried, I enjoyed feeling the wheat there. Then I tried endirger although I can't recall if I enjoyed that one better than the other one. None of the ale taste but a lot of other stuff to enjoy. Those are a little pricy back home though, that is why I rarely buy them.

I tried the guiness with the widget today too. It was actually pretty good. Not sure if I was supposed to drink it straight out of the can or serve it in a glass though (which is cool considering I bought a 4 pack lol).

mikkih
November 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
kkck, please don't drink it out of the can! Pleeease pour it in a pint glass. Let us know what you think of bottles vs cans ~:^_^

igotthegoods
November 28, 2011, 05:05 PM
:hi5 to mikkih. I never knew you liked beer. That's awesome. :amuse

How did I miss this thread until now? :fail

I'm a big fan of beer. :love I drink and enjoy many different types, but my favorites tend to be stronger Belgian ales, usually pale, but not exclusively. Love all the Trappists I've tried. A lot of my favorite beers have already been mentioned: Kwak, Orval, Chimay Blue, Weheinstephaner Heffe and Original, Tripel Karmeliet, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale, etc. A couple of others that I'd highly recommend are Weheinstephaner Vitus (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/35625) and La Chouffe (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/1836). The latter is on tap at one of my most-frequented bars here and is my go-to drink whenever I'm there. The 8% ABV tends to sneak up on you, but it goes down really easily.

I have to say I'm really surprised at the reviews of Kwak on beer advocate. I really enjoy it, so I'm shocked it's rated so low. Maybe I'm not a proper beer snob? I don't know. :XD

k-dom
November 28, 2011, 05:52 PM
Maybe they didn't like the glass. Honestly, I don't know who invented it, it's so unpractical. But the Kwack itself is really tasty.
Speaking of Belgium beers, can you find some lambic in the US ? Everytime I go to Brussels, I make a stop at La Becasse estaminet to drink some.

Concerning the guiness, I only drink it draught, although I have treid the camerounese version in bottle. But it doesn't taste at all like a guiness so it does not really count.

igotthegoods
November 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
You can get lambic here, but it's not very common. The only one I've tried personally is Lindeman's Framboise (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/599). It was good. Very sweet, though. I couldn't drink too much of it.

kkck
November 28, 2011, 07:52 PM
Ok, I did not drink guiness out of the can (I was surprised pouring it was exactly like in the web page video lol). I would compare it with the bottled one I drank earlier but I noticed that the one I drank before did not have the widget so perhaps I should look for the bottled one with the widget for the comparison. Anyways, I did feel a difference in the flavor but it was not THAT significant. Canned was better but perhaps I need to try both of them together to feel the difference (I am not a beer snob yet :p).

There is something I am mildly confused about though. Are lagers supposed to be low class bears so to speak or are there high quality lagers? It just seems like ales are generally the upper scale ones. I have been completely unable to find a lager outside of the known ones so far and I am not a fan of ales. Perhaps I should focus on stouts and weiss then....

xi0
November 29, 2011, 01:13 AM
I have to say I'm really surprised at the reviews of Kwak on beer advocate. I really enjoy it, so I'm shocked it's rated so low. Maybe I'm not a proper beer snob? I don't know. :XD

I like Kwak, but I think it's simply a case of the presentation exceeding how good it really is. There are better Strong pale ales IMO.

Maybe they didn't like the glass. Honestly, I don't know who invented it, it's so unpractical. But the Kwack itself is really tasty.
Speaking of Belgium beers, can you find some lambic in the US ? Everytime I go to Brussels, I make a stop at La Becasse estaminet to drink some.

I've had a bunch of different Lambics - Kriek, Framboise, Cassis, Peche, Pomme, and Gueuze. The Gueuze is obviously much different than the fruit lambics, but I enjoyed it. The darker Fruit lambics like Kriek, Framboise, and Cassis are MUCH better than Peche or Pomme in my opinion. The Peche didn't really taste like a Lambic at all, since it didn't have the sourness, and the Pomme was sort of offensive. It's weird, because you'd expect Apple and a cidery taste/feel to go well together, but it just didn't. I haven't tried Faro yet, and there a bunch of fruit ones I haven't got my hands on.

Ok, I did not drink guiness out of the can (I was surprised pouring it was exactly like in the web page video lol). I would compare it with the bottled one I drank earlier but I noticed that the one I drank before did not have the widget so perhaps I should look for the bottled one with the widget for the comparison. Anyways, I did feel a difference in the flavor but it was not THAT significant. Canned was better but perhaps I need to try both of them together to feel the difference (I am not a beer snob yet :p).

There is something I am mildly confused about though. Are lagers supposed to be low class bears so to speak or are there high quality lagers? It just seems like ales are generally the upper scale ones. I have been completely unable to find a lager outside of the known ones so far and I am not a fan of ales. Perhaps I should focus on stouts and weiss then....

If the bottle you had didn't have a widget in it, it probably wasn't Draught. It was probably Extra Stout, which is slightly more alcoholic and different tasting than the draught. There's a novelty to the Draught, and it isn't a bad beer by any stretch, but it just can't compare to being on tap. It may look the part, but it doesn't taste the part.

It sounds like you're going for Lagers made by big labels. There are plenty of microbrews and craft breweries that make good Lagers. I will agree though, that Ales tend to be more complex tasting than Lager. Lagers are brewed and fermented cold...usually, and Ales are brewed/fermented at warmer temperatures. In my opinion, there is just more going on with Ales since more goes into to making them...like if they're bottle or cask conditioned and undergo secondary fermentation because of that. Not to get too deep into chemistry, but Ales tend to be sweeter as well because less sugar gets converted into alcohol during the process.

kkck
November 29, 2011, 01:38 AM
Nah, I am certain it was the draught, at least the bottle said so.

So with lagers it is simply a matter of looking harder then... thats good news, I was begining to worry. For the time being I will focus on searching for weiss, stouts and lager which I currently do enjoy and see if I get a taste for ales later on (still not sure how to describe why I haven't liked the ales I have tried lol). I am going back home from the US so finding beers to try will be rather dificult from now on, I am reasonably sure I already tried most beers from back home(nationals and imported). At least I will be able to count on franciscaner, endirger and guiness lol and the national beers are not as bad as a mass produced beer would seem.

xi0
November 29, 2011, 01:59 AM
Nah, I am certain it was the draught, at least the bottle said so.

So with lagers it is simply a matter of looking harder then... thats good news, I was begining to worry. For the time being I will focus on searching for weiss, stouts and lager which I currently do enjoy and see if I get a taste for ales later on (still not sure how to describe why I haven't liked the ales I have tried lol). I am going back home from the US so finding beers to try will be rather dificult from now on, I am reasonably sure I already tried most beers from back home(nationals and imported). At least I will be able to count on franciscaner, endirger and guiness lol and the national beers are not as bad as a mass produced beer would seem.

You sure it was Draught? Because cans have the widget, and the bottles have the widget/rocket thing in it. The cans are meant to be poured but the bottles aren't. Maybe you didn't notice the rocket in there?...hmmm

Yeah, like I said before, a lot of people just have a preference for styles. And tastes can change it you find the right ale. Don't be discouraged that you don't care for ale though, it's not like there aren't a ton of other brands to try.

mikkih
November 29, 2011, 11:01 AM
@igotthegoods Hi~. Good to hear that you love beers, the good ones. I love them but I hardly drink but rather sample them. So, you are Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout fan :amuse Do you also like their Imperial Stout? I love Oatmeal but some reason I am not a fan of Imperial. I think I started out with Sheaf Stout and tried different beers and settled with Guinness and Oatmeal Stout.:^_^

@kkck I hope we are not forcing you to drink stout. :eyeroll

@xi0 It's been so long since I had Framboise. I am not a big fan, but I am with you that the darker fruity ones taste better. I don't like (American) Samuel Adam's seasonal Cranberry Lambic

@Kaiten Hi

@Teubier Your recommendations to kkck, Asahi & Yebisu are right on, I think. He might find them quite ordinary but would probably like these malt beers.:)

xi0
November 29, 2011, 12:48 PM
@xi0 It's been so long since I had Framboise. I am not a big fan, but I am with you that the darker fruity ones taste better. I don't like (American) Samuel Adam's seasonal Cranberry Lambic

That's because it isn't a real Lambic. Lambics are only brewed in a specific region near Brussels, there was even some possible legal controversy when Sam Adams came out with it. The idea of a cranberry lambic sounds cool, since I like cranberry a lot, but everyone I know who's had it and from what I've read, it sounds like a disappointment.

I think I prefer Cassis the most overall. Framboise is the most intense flavor-wise, and I like Raspberry, but I enjoy Kriek and Cassis more.

mikkih
November 29, 2011, 01:55 PM
kkck, isn't it great that you can now cross out Samuel Adam's Cranberry (pseudo?) Lambic from your beer list? Still, you must have a long to-do list.

kkck
November 29, 2011, 02:08 PM
You sure it was Draught? Because cans have the widget, and the bottles have the widget/rocket thing in it. The cans are meant to be poured but the bottles aren't. Maybe you didn't notice the rocket in there?...hmmm

Yeah, like I said before, a lot of people just have a preference for styles. And tastes can change it you find the right ale. Don't be discouraged that you don't care for ale though, it's not like there aren't a ton of other brands to try.

I actually picked the bottle from the trash to confirm for the third time it was draught lol. And it did not have the widget. Only other thing I can do from now is to take a picture and post it :p. And there never was any rocket, there is no way I would have missed it even if I had not known about it, I would have felt it inside the bottle when it hit the bottle....

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

@igotthegoods Hi~. Good to hear that you love beers, the good ones. I love them but I hardly drink but rather sample them. So, you are Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout fan :amuse Do you also like their Imperial Stout? I love Oatmeal but some reason I am not a fan of Imperial. I think I started out with Sheaf Stout and tried different beers and settled with Guinness and Oatmeal Stout.:^_^

@kkck I hope we are not forcing you to drink stout. :eyeroll

@Kaiten Hi

@Teubier Your recommendations to kkck, Asahi & Yebisu are right on, I think. He might find them quite ordinary but would probably like these malt beers.:)

Nah, I have been drinking stouts since for a long time lol (drinking age is 18 when I come from but not even parents care to enforce it.....). Of course it is still something sporadic though given the usual price constraints and brand limitations. Need to search for that imperial stout too, seems epic. I have been trying every beer I care to find for many years now but it is only recently that I increased my efforts to try even more beers and learn more about them.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

kkck, isn't it great that you can now cross out Samuel Adam's Cranberry (pseudo?) Lambic from your beer list? Still, you must have a long to-do list.

My objective is every non light beer on earth so whatever helps lol :p. Somehow I have been avoiding samuel adams up to now, do they have any beers worth trying? I tried one of theirs a year or two ago but even by mass produced beer standards it seemed rather bland. Honestly, someday I hope to go to octoberfest and try every beer I can. My only worry is that my liver will rebel against me and break out of my torso to beat the shit out of me (figuratively) in the middle of it. After that I would hope to go to belgium just for the heck of it lol.

mikkih
November 29, 2011, 03:25 PM
Wondered if we need to add "For Age 21+" or something next to the title of this thread.

k-dom
November 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
21 is legal age only in US :-)
If you happen to travel to France or have a good liquor store nearby, you can try the Picon-bière. Picon (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picon) is a bitter magic liquor which makes any average beer taste better. It was quite forgotten, but the revival of old beverage give it a new chance.

kkck
November 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
Agreed, in most places which even do have a drinking age it is generally 18 and then again there are plenty of places where such a thing is either non existent or not enforced. Cool anecdote, I was in europe looking for a bottle of wine to take back home for my parents. I asked the dude selling wine what was the drinking age and the response was that we were not in america. To boot, I am not even from the US....

igotthegoods
November 29, 2011, 09:43 PM

I haven't tried the Imperial Stout, sorry. :darn I do love a good stout, though. Drinks like a meal. :nod Have you tried a milk stout before? Left Hand Milk Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/3434) is one of my faves. It's got a nice coffee flavor and is very creamy and smooth. Yum <3

xi0
November 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
Anyone who likes Lambics should try Kasteel Rouge. While it doesn't have the cidery, lambic taste, it is reminiscent of Kriek and has a bit more alcohol in it :faint

mikkih
November 30, 2011, 12:53 AM
Have you tried a milk stout before? Left Hand Milk Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/3434) is one of my faves. It's got a nice coffee flavor and is very creamy and smooth. Yum <3I have not tried it yet.:-_- It sounds interesting. If I can find it locally, I will definitely give it a try.:D

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Somehow I have been avoiding samuel adams up to now, do they have any beers worth trying? I tried one of theirs a year or two ago but even by mass produced beer standards it seemed rather bland. Honestly, someday I hope to go to octoberfest and try every beer I can. My only worry is that my liver will rebel against me and break out of my torso to beat the shit out of me (figuratively) in the middle of it. After that I would hope to go to belgium just for the heck of it lol.I think Samuel Adams makes decent beers but nothing is extraordinary. I give them a credit for producing seasonal beers so that people can have fun trying different flavors though. Boston lager and Oktoberfest are alright I guess. Among American beers, I used to like Sierra Nevada but you need to like hoppy type. I don't mind taking local beer brewer tours sometime. That's one thing that I should try but have not. :eyeroll

By the way does anyone know what kind of Christmas beers are served in Germany? I remember having 2 colored (green and red) beer long ago, but I don't remember what I was having. It was probably wheat beer. Is there any common way to serve 2-colored beer?

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

21 is legal age only in US :-)
If you happen to travel to France or have a good liquor store nearby, you can try the Picon-bière. Picon (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picon) is a bitter magic liquor which makes any average beer taste better. It was quite forgotten, but the revival of old beverage give it a new chance.The link is in French, so I read ENG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirop_de_Picon) version. (If I were reading beer reading material, my French could have improved a bit better. I gave up on it long ago.) So, is it good?

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

21 is legal age only in US :-)Legal age for drinking is 20 in Japan. Also there are beer vending machines available on the streets.

kkck
November 30, 2011, 08:37 PM
^There are?:wtfI remember seeing those in a TV show but I did not think it would go to that extent lol. Damn western culture lol (for that matter, why don't regular vending machines accept credit or debit cards lol)?

Anyways, weekend is approaching and I have an exam tomorrow for which I am grossly under-prepared another one on monday so how about some beer recommendations which can be found in a regular supermarket or liquor store? Might be going to taco mac (respectable beer selection of over 100 from what I recall) too so something from them would be nice (not in the mood of finding my taste for ales wherever it might be, just saying :)).

Teubier
December 01, 2011, 07:00 AM
Legal age for drinking is 20 in Japan. Also there are beer vending machines available on the streets.

^There are?:wtfI remember seeing those in a TV show but I did not think it would go to that extent lol. Damn western culture lol (for that matter, why don't regular vending machines accept credit or debit cards lol)?
Damnit, I miss those vending machines so much... Scattered almost everywhere, even in remote tiny cities. I remember encountering a few in Unoke (Ishikawa prefecture), coming back from a long afternoon at the sea, throat awfully dry. I was completely ecstatic :maracas.

Well, it doesn't help to stay sober but it's so enjoyable, although the beers sold in these vending machines aren't the best Japan has to offer, and in terms of quality konbini are a little better with much more choice (you'd have a hard time finding a vending machine with yebisu but almost every konbini sell them). Damn I miss convenience stores even more :-_-.

igotthegoods
December 01, 2011, 12:01 PM
I've always wondered, how do they regulate the drinking age in Japan if there are vending machines that sell beer? Or do they at all? Do you have to swipe or scan your ID in some way in order to get a beer out of them?

Anyways, weekend is approaching and I have an exam tomorrow for which I am grossly under-prepared another one on monday so how about some beer recommendations which can be found in a regular supermarket or liquor store? Might be going to taco mac (respectable beer selection of over 100 from what I recall) too so something from them would be nice (not in the mood of finding my taste for ales wherever it might be, just saying :)).

Hmm... something good that can be found in a regular supermarket? That's kind of tough, actually. xD I would probably recommend trying whatever local microbrews they happen to have. If you were in the Midwest, I could help you out with that a little more, but since you are talking about going to Taco Mac, it doesn't sound like you are anywhere near here, lol. Otherwise, Stella Artois is a decent, mass-produced beer you can find just about anywhere. It's sort of like Belgium's equivalent to Budweiser. So while not the best of the best, it's certainly a step above any of the domestics you'll find here.

mikkih
December 01, 2011, 12:29 PM
@igotthegoods Vending machines do not come with the ID-check features. How...? don't know ... but ....maybe with self-control?!

@Teubier Did you live there or just visit?

@kkck I see Newcastle around. If you like something lighter, St. Pauli Girl. What do you think everyone?

igotthegoods
December 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
@igotthegoods Vending machines do not come with the ID-check features. How...? don't know ... but ....maybe with self-control?!
:rofl

That would definitely not work in the US. We have no self control here. :XD

@kkck I see Newcastle around. If you like something lighter, St. Pauli Girl. What do you think everyone?
Newcastle is not too bad. I haven't had St. Pauli Girl in a long time, so I don't really remember how that one tastes. Oh! Just thought of another one: Harp is another decent one you should be able to find easily.

@kkck - You might want to check out the top beers lists (http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular) at beer advocate to get some ideas. At the right, you can even search by region. Maybe you can find something good that's local. :)

Teubier
December 01, 2011, 01:27 PM
@Teubier Did you live there or just visit?
Unfortunetaly only visits for now. Hopefully more to come :^_^

I've always wondered, how do they regulate the drinking age in Japan if there are vending machines that sell beer? Or do they at all? Do you have to swipe or scan your ID in some way in order to get a beer out of them?
Mikkih already answered your question, but if I may add some things from what I could grasp :
_ Legal drinking age doesn't seem enforced to the kids by the police if there is no reprehensible behaviour involved. I believe that it's more or less like in France, here a retailer won't bother a kid that looks kinda old enough even if he truly isn't, the law exist but it's not followed literally. Parents are trusted to deal with their kids before anyone else.
_ Policemen seem alert about drivers however. The only arrest (altruist or mandatory, no idea, maybe both) I've witnessed was the one of a drunk guy trying (and comically failing) to start his Space Invader scooter's (what a beauty it was !!) engine.
_ The ID-check seemed to be required for tobacco vending machines. Don't know what to think of it though...
_ Beer vending machines would definitely not work here too, also no or very little self control, probably some lack of volition and high disrepair risk too. Winepoints however could work :rolleyes:.
_ I was amazed by how very few people, in two weeks periods each time, I saw walking in the streets with beer in hands in Japan (well, in big or moderate cities). And ~99 % of the times it was another foreigner or our own reflection in a window...

kkck
December 01, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have already tried stella artois. Pretty decent beer which is easily found just about everywhere. I am not that bent of drinking lighter beers if at all possible lol(budweiser sucks). I guess I can stick to the guinness I still have for the time being lol. Anyways, I am on the east side of the US at the moment so yeah lol.... I have never actually thought of looking for local breweries although perhaps where I am at is not an ideal location for them. If colder weathers are better for brewing then perhaps there would not be many around here. Gonna go google some stuff lol.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Actually, started googling stuff and it seems there are quite a few breweries around. It makes sense considering there are 1700 microbreweries in the US lol.

mikkih
December 01, 2011, 04:24 PM
:darn
That would definitely not work in the US. We have no self control here.
Mikkih already answered your question, but... I meant it as a joke. :XD Anyway, many highschoolers are at least busy studying for entrance exams to enter colleges, I think. :eyeroll Back to the topic, St. P, it's light like Becks.

@kkck,
Don't get broke! Having imported beers is quite costly.:amuse

xi0
December 01, 2011, 11:53 PM
Imported beers are costly sure, but having them out at a restaurant is even more expensive. Alcoholic beverages are easily 2.5x more expensive at a restaurant than if you buy them at the store.

kkck
December 18, 2011, 09:04 PM
ok, tried a few beers last night lol. Tried pumpkin shocks top (adequate beer IMO although there was indeed a lot of flavor), a new castle brown ale (good stuff, perhaps I am begining to find my taste for ales) and a yuengling lager which was actually awesome and my new favorite beer (and since it is not an export it is affordable).

---------- Post added December 18, 2011 at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was December 02, 2011 at 04:29 PM ----------

Ok, I have drank a few different beers over the last weeks

Spaten franz
More guinnes than I would care to admit (get one every time I go out and I finally felt the difference between the bottle and the can- can is far better)
Dog rabbit milk stout (awesomeness).
A couple of irish carbombs (not sure if it counts but it was far better than expected).

xi0
December 19, 2011, 12:37 AM
Spaten franz
More guinnes than I would care to admit (get one every time I go out and I finally felt the difference between the bottle and the can- can is far better)
Dog rabbit milk stout (awesomeness).
A couple of irish carbombs (not sure if it counts but it was far better than expected).

If you like milk stouts or sweet stouts, I'd recommend Young's Double Chocolate Stout :nod

kkck
January 08, 2012, 01:53 AM
Question, how do I convince someone that Budweiser is not a particularly good beer (in terms of taste, aroma or color)? I told a few friends that in circles of people who actually know beer such a beer is not generally regarded as having any of those and they looked at me as if I was plain insane.

xi0
January 08, 2012, 04:34 AM
Question, how do I convince someone that Budweiser is not a particularly good beer (in terms of taste, aroma or color)? I told a few friends that in circles of people who actually know beer such a beer is not generally regarded as having any of those and they looked at me as if I was plain insane.

When I hear other people champion beers like Corona and Miller Light I have the same problem. It's not a big deal really, because if you bitch about it too much they might call you a beer snob. All you can try to do is let better beer speak for itself. Though I must say that Corona/Bud/Miller are all very drinkable beers, not like I'm saying they're gross but like most mass-produced beer, the quality suffers.

I would just offer them a Weihenstephaner next time they want a lager and have them judge for themselves.

Or just link them here (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/65)

k-dom
January 08, 2012, 09:39 AM
I think the best way is to drink different type of beers with them so that they can compare. It could be funny if when you do it, you have some czech Budweiser :-)

igotthegoods
January 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
I tried a new wheat beer last night that I really enjoyed and wanted to share here: Hitachino Nest White Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/697/2013). My friend asked our server to surprise him with something in a bottle she'd recommend and she brought this. I took a sip to sample and liked it so much, I ordered one for myself. :D It's very light and easy to drink, really nice. If you like other white ales (Hoegaarden, Blue Moon, Allagash White, etc), I highly recommend this. Now I kind of want to try some other beers from this brewery. :nod

Also, picking a beer based on the name, isn't always a great idea, as I found out with the next beer I tried: Jinx Proof (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/50443). Since it was Friday the 13th, I just had to give it a try. :XD But unfortunately, I didn't really care for this one. It may be that I had just had too many at that point, but I found it kind of bitter and hard to drink. Three of us tried it and none of us finished our drinks. I was very disappointed, seeing as it was from Three Floyds Brewery, usually a pretty safe bet. Oh well, at least their Gumballhead (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/9478) is still awesome. <3

Jorge D. Dragon
January 17, 2012, 08:12 AM
Funny, but never posted here.:)

I would say that I'm beer fan, but still it's difficult to say what beer is good or bad. Some people like German beer, but I mostly like only dark german beer. I can't remember the name of beer in particular, still the type was alt or dunkel or shwarz.
Actually I would say that my favourite types of beer are dark beer and ale. During parties I romally drinl Crushovice Dark or Newcastle Brown Ale.
The thing is, when you are drinking in park in late spring or summer when it's really hot outside from 25 up to 40 it's time for beer like Corona or Miller, because they sute more for such a weather.

P.S. Also one point about the taste of beer... After four or five 0,5 liter cans you normally can't decipher good the diference in taste between diferent light beer like Tuborg, Carlsberg Bud or whatever. Thus it's logical to get about 4 or 5 cans of good beer and then if you want to drink more beer it doersn't matter what you actually drink.

Teubier
January 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
I was listening to this song earlier, walking under the sunlight of a cold day with a cold desperados. Vive la bière :hee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9V9wlfIUMo

xi0
January 17, 2012, 09:47 PM
Had this (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/828/2596) on NYE in place of Champagne...wow, really quite a different experience. Not a sweet taste at all - it's dry, very sour and funky. Something to definitely experience, but I don't think I could drink a ton of it. Not a sweetened Lambic.

Jorge D. Dragon
January 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
Teubier
I agree on you with cold Desperados.:)) It's especially great in summer, when it's hot and you can drink it in the park.))) I got the habbit to drink it from time to time from Spain.:)

kkck
January 18, 2012, 12:29 PM
I came to the realization that my country is a beer wasteland on its best day :(.... Liquor stores which used to import good beers don't do so because new taxes made it far too expensive. A bar I go to used to have endirger but an universe where I would pay 12 dollars for endirger beer (even though its good) is inconceivable. I have 1 place I have my hopes on however even if they do have some new beers I would have limited options and they would be expensive as hell.... Worst part is the delusion that budweisser is a decent just because it is foreign or "American" meaning there are times I have no option but to drink that. Realistically speaking the national beers here would be about the same or a little better however people still go for budweisser.

xi0
January 19, 2012, 06:47 AM
Sounds like you need to go on a beer-finding quest kkck :mono

kkck
January 19, 2012, 08:53 AM
I do and I have and I failed miserably. No beer in my country :( ...... There is only that one place where I put my hopes on.... and expectations are not reasonably high...

xi0
January 19, 2012, 10:56 AM
I do and I have and I failed miserably. No beer in my country :( ...... There is only that one place where I put my hopes on.... and expectations are not reasonably high...

It sounds like you just need to go online and do some investigating. Maybe it'll be for naught, but it's still worth trying.

kkck
January 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Online? I live in a third world god forsaken country. Obviously we do have internet however as far as this goes it is quite surprising how many companies do not have any sort of online advertizing or even a web page. Its not quite like the US or europe where the very notion of a company without a web page, facebook, myspace, twitter and so on is not only beyond absurd but plain moronic. The problem at hand is easy to find though. A few years ago you would easily find imported beers at regular liquor stores. You wouldn't find an overwhelming amount of variety but you would find your stouts, ales, weissbier, guinnes, spaten and plenty of stuff different from heineken, corona and budweiser. Recently the government has implemented not so light taxes on all forms of imported alcohol. In this regard the price of an imported beer being 3 times what it was before is a bit of an issue. The 2 companies actually producing beer locally actually only make 2 types of beer, pilsen and lagger. I blame socialism.

Teubier
January 19, 2012, 11:54 AM
I blame stupidity. How come no one gets that beer is the key to wisdom ?

kkck
January 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
Seriously lol. I just went to the last place where there might be a shred of a chance of finding a couple decent beers and as it turns out I found absolutely nothing. My country is simply no longer importing beers and if they do the prices are absurd. I guess it makes sense, recent tariffs and taxes basically doubled (or more) the price of imported alcoholic beverages and recently they also implemented a 5% tax on any capital that leaves the country (which for importers is like a tariff on every product they have). My country's current government made sure to kill, bury and spit on any shred of a chance we ever had of developing something vaguely similar to a beer culture past ordinary lager.

k-dom
January 20, 2012, 05:24 AM
So does it mean you are not studying in the US anymore kkck ?
I somehow feel your pain, since I left Germany, prices of beers have made x2

kkck
January 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Yep, I graduated last semester and went back home. I went back home under the assumption that I would be able to buy at least common imports such as spaten or guiness however even that is non existent. To my surprise beer imports are not the only ones that have suffered, there are a number of other products which cannot be found. As it turns out there are a few cereal imports which are no longer available. I am not actually starving as my country has plenty of food however I feel I am being deprived of the good stuff. Right now my only realistic chance of finding beer is going to another city 8 hours away from mine however that is obviously not easy.

Jorge D. Dragon
January 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
kkck
Sorry, but where are you from? Cause for me to hear that beer can cost more than 4 dollars even if it is imported is a bit strange.:)

kkck
January 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
Well, I went to a bar and the reason they stopped selling endirger is that it would be 12 dollars a bottle. Obviously at a store it would be cheaper however it would still be a lot more expensive than what people in general would pay for beer (specially if budweiser is available at the price of national beers since a plant recently opened in the country).

Jorge D. Dragon
January 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah, such price is really a problem. We also have taxes for imported alcohol, but that sounds barbaric.:)
I might understand the reason why they used such taxes, but actually it won't work the way they wanted and won't bring any income for the state, cause simply noone will by imported beer for such price.
And what's common drink in your country? Is it cheap if we compare it with local beer?

P.S. About Budweiser... I wouldn't say that's a bad beer, but of course it's not something to enjoy (if we talk about tasty beer.:) ). But I understand the problem of having alcohol getting more expensive. We have same problem now. I woulds say when I was still at school like 7 years ago it was cheaper to drink beer than juice. It was even cheaper to drink wine or vodka than juice, but now it's only beer that is cheeper than juice, cause our government tries to fight alcocholics.:)

kkck
January 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
The reason for the taxes and whatnot are actually stupid. The current government is basically spending far more money than what it should (for fucks sake they are quite literally giving it away under the name of solidary bonus or whatnot) and as a result it is desperate for more. I don't particularly believe making alcohol more expensive actually helps to combat alcoholism though. At least my own experience suggest that such an strategy is ineffective to say the least. I am obviously not an alcoholic but I do consume reasonable amounts of it socially. What have I done when alcohol increases in price? Either I pay more or I buy the cheaper one(which is usually the case, say I traded vodka for rum recently). How much is the cheapest bottle around? As far as I remember the cheapest bottle of vodka or whiskey around was around 3 US dollars. Now with the taxes it comes at around 5 or 6. My country might be poor but it does not get to the point where that increase would stop alcoholics from spending on it. More so, there are plenty of alternatives which are even cheaper although there are those little risks of them not being actually sanitary, basically an informal sector which makes liquor. In the end, raising the price of alcohol does not stop people from drinking, it only makes the vast majority of the population spend the same amount of money on cheaper/worst alcohol and it makes the people who were already buying dirt cheap stuff spend more or even worst force them to the informal segment. People who are either snobby/connoisseurs probably will just spend the extra money as they didn't get to either of those situations from being poor.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

As for a common drink.... I guess it would be beer for the most part. I don't think we have anything else in that regard. Of course, the national brewery (which is owned by sab miller I think lol) only produces pilsen or lager styles of beer. I lack so much as an ounce of patriotism and am out of touch with what should be my culture (I don't completely understand the even my own city's sland -about half of it-, I do not regularly eat typical foods and my actual background has nothing to do with the background of 99% of the people) so I would not be particularly knowledgeable about such things.

---------- Post added January 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was January 20, 2012 at 04:22 PM ----------

Just got a tip that there are a couple of stores which might have what I am looking for -dark beers in general-. Haven't had a chance to check it out but I got good hopes. I don't particularly expect much variety but at least enough to know I don't live in a beer wasteland lol.

xi0
January 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
What kind of haul are you in for to find this store? Hope it isn't too much :super

Though for good beer, I wonder what "too much" is :derp

kkck
February 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
Well, from what I understand they should have spaten, stout franciscarner (or however that is spelled) and stout and weissbier endirger. Its not much but it is the most optimistic I can reasonably get.

---------- Post added February 17, 2012 at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was January 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM ----------

Tried a very interesting red lagger the other day. Weird random encounter of a craft beer in a god forsaken town in a god forsaken country of the month. Interestingly, they also had a bunch of other import beers which makes no sense whatsoever considering the country's overall tariff situation. Very real chance that they are actually smuggling beer from the neighbor country lol.

xi0
February 17, 2012, 11:36 PM
Hey it's beer, it's probably worth it :xp

Do you remember some of the stuff they had?

Teubier
February 24, 2012, 06:35 PM
Damn, tasted this (http://www.tasteandvote.com/images/bieres/gordonfinestplatinum.jpg) from the local grocer tonight, and I must say it was not too shabby for a beer below 2€ at ~12°. At least far more beerable than the monster trick Maximator. The aftertaste was still a bit aggressive though.

xi0
February 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
Damn, tasted this (http://www.tasteandvote.com/images/bieres/gordonfinestplatinum.jpg) from the local grocer tonight, and I must say it was not too shabby for a beer below 2€ at ~12°. At least far more beerable than the monster trick Maximator. The aftertaste was still a bit aggressive though.

Probably because it's a 12%

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

I wasted some money just to confirm what I already knew. Kwak (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/202/635) is such an over-hyped, offensive-tasting beer, I have no idea why it has such popularity. Maybe it's because of the novelty in drinking it from the special glass? I've tasted stronger beers that have had much less of an overbearing alcoholic taste to it. Not to mention the spices used to try and mask the alcohol fail in almost every way. It's like drinking rubbing alcohol after emptying your spice cabinet into it.

Teubier
February 25, 2012, 06:17 AM
Probably because it's a 12%
Ahahah. Yes ~ no. Kinda feels like there is a :cookieface missing in your post. :cookiestare

I meant aggressive to my sense of taste, in regard to the Maximator example. So it meant that I found it to be a pretty nice beer at the beginning, not really good but nice, but its taste deteriorated and became a little bit Maximator-ish through what was left lingering in my mouth. I wrote that post not long after drinking it, so the aftertaste was still vivid.
I didn't drink a wide range of beer yet, but the amber Bush/Scaldis (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/604/1602) from belgium is a 12% too, and it does not leave that kind of awful aftertaste.

On another note, I found the Cambodian Kingdom beer (both the pilsener & dark lager) pretty nice the other day :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzrlq9tzGUc

k-dom
February 25, 2012, 06:25 AM
I'm pretty sure the Kwack glass is responsible for its success. Although it is probably the most unpractical glass ever to dring a beer.
Speaking of glass, I had a really disappointing experience a few days ago. I went to a supposed beer specialized bar and I was served a Fransiskaner in a Duvel glass. That was such a disappointment ! I would have asked for a super rare German beer, I wouldn't have cared but it was a damn Fransiskaner ! France is really not the country for German beers sadly.

xi0
February 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
That's probably because Scaldis is Belgian 2beers :nod

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure the Kwack glass is responsible for its success. Although it is probably the most unpractical glass ever to dring a beer.
Speaking of glass, I had a really disappointing experience a few days ago. I went to a supposed beer specialized bar and I was served a Fransiskaner in a Duvel glass. That was such a disappointment ! I would have asked for a super rare German beer, I wouldn't have cared but it was a damn Fransiskaner ! France is really not the country for German beers sadly.

Does the glass really matter? I'm not sure if I've bought into that sort of thing. Apart from having the right glass for the right style (not always), I never go any further. These breweries that have a beer-specific glass...it makes me laugh.

k-dom
February 25, 2012, 07:43 AM
After living one year in germany, drinking a fransiskaner is something special to me. So yes drinking it in a large round stemmed glass was disappointing especially when i'm in a bar which is supposed to be specialized. With the price they sell beers in France, they can buy glasses.

Teubier
March 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
Oh oh oh, but, oh oh oh! This Vivat Triple (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16445/40035) is very good! I hope that I made the right choice by tasting this one before the 3 Monts (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/260/1308). Edit : no regrets, she's (the 3 Monts) even better! :hee

Anyway, it calls for a http://bimmelim.com/images/smiley%20glass.gif to all you beer lovers and everybody else! :hee

xi0
March 08, 2012, 06:49 PM
Usually I try to steer clear of Trappist-style imitations because not a single one can compare to the authentic thing, but Tripel Karmeliet (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/202/656) is an exception. The best Tripel I've ever had.

Bière de Garde = Strong Pale Ale...I've often wondered about the comparison between a Tripel and a Strong Pale Ale, and I've still yet to pinpoint it :XD.

mikkih
March 28, 2012, 02:11 PM
I heard of wine-beer hybrid beers. Are they any good?

k-dom
March 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
That rather sounds like a waste...

goldb
March 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
Never heard of wine-beer, except for dumbass english guys experimenting in their own homes. I'll google it :thumbs

xi0
March 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
There are fruit/vegetable beers, but I've never heard of a wine/beer hybrid, no :blink

igotthegoods
March 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm not exactly sure if this is what you're talking about, but the closest thing I've tried was at a local Ethiopian restaurant. They have a house-made honey wine which is flavored with hops. Kind of sweet, kind of not, and with just a hint of carbonation. It had a very unique flavor compared to any other wine I'd tried before, but I liked it. It was really interesting.

xi0
March 28, 2012, 04:48 PM
You're saying it was like Mead, but carbonated? :blink

igotthegoods
March 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
Yep. :nod

Not a lot of carbonation, but it was definitely there. Went well with the spicy food, too.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Apparently, it's called tej (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tej)

mikkih
March 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
I was reading a magazine called Details at the dentist office the other day. Now that I remembered the name of the magazine, I googled and found their site. There is an article called "The World's Best Beers (http://www.details.com/style-advice/food-and-drinks/200605/the-best-beers-in-the-world)" on their current homepage, but it was not what I read. The article I briefly remembered was: Four Beer Trends to Try Now (http://www.details.com/style-advice/food-and-drinks/201204/beer-trends-brewing-craft) Everything you need to know about Japanese craft beer, barrel-aged beer, wine-beer hybrids, and gypsy-brewed beer. Read on if you would like to explore new beers. Let me know if you have already tried any.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Apparently, it's called tej (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tej) I would love to try Tej :^_^

M3J
March 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Had Samuel Adams today. it was so-so.

Had a German beer with long name that I forgot few days ago (Gary should remember). It was good.

igotthegoods
March 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
Ohhh, I haven't seen any of those hybrids before. Really interesting. I want to try one just to see what it's like.

Of those beer trends, I've actually tried a Japanese craft beer from one of the same brands in that article, which I believe I've already posted about in this thread: Hitachino Nest White Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/697/2013). It's really yummy. :nod I'll have to try the red rice ale next.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Had a German beer with long name that I forgot few days ago (Gary should remember). It was good.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731). I'm the one who actually picked it out for you, if you remember. :p

xi0
March 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731). I'm the one who actually picked it out for you, if you remember. :p

I actually noticed it first :derp

That reminds me...I still have some in my fridge

igotthegoods
March 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Suuuure you did. I do not remember that. I may have missed it, but all I remember is you telling him to get Stella and I suggested that this would be a better choice for him. :p

Go drink it! :D

xi0
March 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
He would have liked either, but I did notice that the place had it. I just thought he'd like a lager more.

Nah, too tired...not really in the mood for it or Kwak.

M3J
March 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
Don't remember who did who, just that one of you recommended that beer.

I liked.

Lager? like Samuel Adams?

xi0
March 28, 2012, 11:03 PM
Sam Adams makes dozens of different beers, but yes they make Lagers.

mikkih
March 29, 2012, 05:59 AM
I actually noticed it first :derp

That reminds me...I still have some in my fridge

I think I have one in my fridge, the rest are Guinness. :^_^

M3J
March 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
Oh. I probably don't like lager, then. I didn't like that Sams Adams I had at the restaurant.

xi0
March 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
Oh. I probably don't like lager, then. I didn't like that Sams Adams I had at the restaurant.

Pretty much every light beer is a lager

M3J
March 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
All light beer sucks balls, then. :\

*stabs Natty Light*

sarganos
April 01, 2012, 11:32 AM
At the moment I am exremly enjoy a great beer by the name of "HobGoblin"

Kaiten
April 03, 2012, 12:09 AM
Drinking Corsendonk Pater Dubbel Ale tonight. Have a Corsendonk Agnus Triple and Rochefort 10 waiting in the fridge

xi0
April 03, 2012, 01:00 AM
I would like to try the Rochefort brews, but it's much less convenient to buy it in singles. It's pretty damn expensive.

Kaiten
April 03, 2012, 01:20 AM
While not cheap it is comparable to buying it by the glass at a bar.

xi0
April 03, 2012, 01:31 AM
While not cheap it is comparable to buying it by the glass at a bar.

Even with the price bump that bars have? It's like $7 a bottle at the place I go to, both 8 and 10. I hear 8 is better than 10.

Kaiten
April 03, 2012, 11:53 PM
Rochefort 10 at the Mussel Bar is $15. Buying a single bottle cost $10 and change. Some beers, like Orval, would be priced the same whether at a pub or from the store. I can't speak for Rochefort 8, I have not had tried it yet, but Rochefort 10 is very interesting. It's a bit like a more balanced Kasteel Triple. There is a strong alcohol flavor but it is balanced by a nice fruitiness with hints of berries. A great beer for anyone looking for a strong ale but not a favorite of mine.

Corsendonk Double was very good, not as good as the Christmas blend but still recommended. A little drier and more tart than the average Belgian ale. I'm going to try the triple tomorrow.

xi0
April 04, 2012, 02:33 AM
Wow, well from what I'm getting is you need to find a better store to buy your beer from. You mentioned how much something was previously and it was much more expensive for you than it's price at where I go :s

k-dom
April 04, 2012, 07:50 AM
Are really those price in shops ?! I think the rochefort is between 2€ and 3€ here, it the dollar that weak ?

mikkih
April 04, 2012, 09:30 AM
Are really those price in shops ?! I think the rochefort is between 2€ and 3€ here, it the dollar that weak ?

Looks (http://www.beermenus.com/beers/rochefort-10) like $7ish to buy at stores, $10-16 at bars.

k-dom
April 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
Argh, I will never complain to the pint of guiness at 10€ in bar anymore :-)

xi0
April 04, 2012, 11:22 AM
It's also due to it being imported as well.

k-dom
April 04, 2012, 12:19 PM
We import it too :-)
I don't think any transport justify such a price difference. But maybe they are imported in very low quantity making it a rare product

mikkih
April 04, 2012, 12:26 PM
After living one year in germany, drinking a fransiskaner is something special to me. So yes drinking it in a large round stemmed glass was disappointing especially when i'm in a bar which is supposed to be specialized. With the price they sell beers in France, they can buy glasses.
Pic for you who likes Fran~ and Guinness.

xi0
April 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
I don't think any transport justify such a price difference. But maybe they are imported in very low quantity making it a rare product

But there's not an Ocean separating you :XD

Not saying the dollar doesn't factor into it, but beer (even beer that originated in foreign countries) which is brewed/bottled here is much cheaper. Weihenstephaner is even pretty cheap in comparison to many Belgian brews.

Kaiten
April 04, 2012, 07:13 PM

Distance and transportation should not play a big role in prices. The difference is partially due to import tax and tariff. Membership in the European Union means that product produced in Belgium can be imported to France without incurring tariff. Not so for import to the U.S. which does not have free trade agreements with any European states. Tax and tariff are added to the price for Americans. Most of the difference is likely due to imported beer being a "luxury" good. Those interested in drinking good European beer are willing to pay a premium price.

Stella, Guinness, and other non-premium European beers are bottled in the US and not subject to tariff.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Orval goes surprisingly well with a pulled chicken sandwich.

mikkih
April 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
Orval goes surprisingly well with a pulled chicken sandwich.I've had pulled pork sandwich w/ BBQ sauce before. Would it be somewhat similar?

Would you eat BBQ with lager, ale, brown, or stout? I may chose light colored beers, lager or ale, with BBQ. What do you guys think?:?bunny

xi0
April 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
A general rule of thumb for me is that you don't want a beer that overpowers the flavor of what you're eating.

Kaiten
April 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've had pulled pork sandwich w/ BBQ sauce before. Would it be somewhat similar?

Would you eat BBQ with lager, ale, brown, or stout? I may chose light colored beers, lager or ale, with BBQ. What do you guys think?:?bunny

Same thing as pulled pork, I was not in the mood for something that hearty.

I would have a marzen or heffe with BBQ, something a little heavier than a lager but not overwhelming.

I feel like I've fallen into a bit of a Belgian beer rut, so I am trying some German varieties this week. Tonight I am trying Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/263/727), my first rauchbier. An impressive beer; it has hints of roast meets, finishes dry, but is not to heavy.

---------- Post added April 19, 2012 at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was April 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM ----------

Tried Weihenstaphaner Vitus (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/35625) and loved it. Very similar in taste to the heffe, but the extra alcohol gives it a hint of cherry.

igotthegoods
April 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
Belgian beer rut? Blashphemy! :gwah Koen would be dissapoint.

j/k, j/k :p Vitus is a really good beer. I enjoy it thoroughly. :)

Having just recently returned from Belgium, I've had a LOT of beer lately. Some really great new ones, too, thanks to the recommendation of Koen. I'm trying to remember all the new ones I tried. I know there were others, but these were some that I know for sure: Avec Les Bons Voeux (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/1716), Westmalle Tripel (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/208/646), St. Feuillien (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2874/6803), St. Bernardus 12 (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1708), Duvel Tripel Hop (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/222/40114).

All were exceptional. Highly recommend. :thumbs

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Oh, and I also had Delirium Red (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/68452), which was pretty good, but probably my least favorite of the new beers I tried. I got it kind of by accident, actually. xD I was at the Delirium Cafe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9lirium_Caf%C3%A9), which has 2004 (!!) different types of beer. I was, understandably, having a hard time deciding what to get, so I thought "hey, maybe I should try one of the Delirium beers I haven't tried yet?" Delirium Red was the only one I hadn't tried yet, and the others (Tremens, Nocturnum, and Noel) are so good, I just went ahead and ordered it without knowing exactly what it was. Didn't realize it was going to be a fruit beer. :darn

xi0
April 24, 2012, 02:52 AM
The place I go to locally has all those beers, except for St. Feuillien and Delirium Red. I'll have to check them out :nod

I had been meaning to try more Trappists, but outside of Chimay and La Trappe, they only come in singles or big bottles which is somewhat inconvenient.

Teubier
April 24, 2012, 07:48 AM
Little post from over there, devoid of any Belgian beers unfortunately, but still with a glimpse of a few from Nagoya(1)/Wakayama(3)/Shizuoka(10) ~Origin(number), from left to right~ for me (and the two others beer lovers who are staying here too) to try until the end of this month. :hee

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5797/dsc00759mn.jpg

xi0
April 27, 2012, 02:21 AM
Westmalle Tripel (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/208/646) - A better Tripel than Chimay White, but not as good as Tripel Karmeliet in my opinion. Very robust in flavor.

Delirium Nocturnum (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/1421) - Easily outclasses Chimay Blue and is more palatable than Gulden Draak. There's a subdued fruitiness to it, but it just goes down so easily for a Strong Dark. HIGHLY recommended.

The place I go to got a bunch of Hitachino Brews and apparently also started carrying more varieties of Weihenstephaner (no Vitus, but Kristalweizen, Korbinian, and the Dunkel). I'll have to try them out later.

k-dom
May 01, 2012, 04:23 PM
I was in britanny for this long week-end so we tasted britanny beers. In particular 2 original ones
The first one was a Morbraz which is a blond bier made with sea water. Honestly the taste was not that different from any other blond bier. Maybe a little more acid.
But the second one was a Gwiniz Du, a bier made with buckwheat. This one had a very original taste and everyone enjoyed it. It will probably be hard to find out of there but if I find it by chance I will definitively try it again.

xi0
May 03, 2012, 04:56 AM
Supposedly Morbraz doesn't have actual seawater in the brew. They just add salt to the water in the brewing process.

The prospect of a beer using actual seawater sounds disgusting to me :barf

k-dom
May 03, 2012, 06:45 AM
It's really made with sea water ( it's written everywhere ) but they found a process which removed most of the salt. As i said the taste is not really different

xi0
May 03, 2012, 06:50 AM
It's really made with sea water ( it's written everywhere ) but they found a process which removed most of the salt. As i said the taste is not really different

Ah, I had read online that it was a bit of a gimmick. If they desalinate the water, then what's the point? :blink

xi0
June 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
Hitachino Nest White Ale - A Witbier that packs a punch. It doesn't have a high ABV, but it's tremendously flavorful. Not as much citrus as you can usually find in this style, but a crapload of coriander and spice flavor going on here. Not a style I really prefer but very good. Highly recommended.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - A Doppelbock that uses malt smoked with oak instead of beech, which is typically used to make the Rauchbier style. An interesting experience. It has more alcohol in it than rauchbier due to it being a doppelbock. The smokey flavor is noticeable, but not overpowering. After a few tastes it is very beer-like, but with a smokey aftertaste. I can't say it's really refreshing and it's not for everyone but it's something to experience if you're feeling adventurous. I also have to try the Rauchbier Weizen, Rauchbier Urbock (have a bottle) and the Helles Lager. I haven't seen the Rauchbier Marzen unfortunately.

Delirium Tremens - A Strong Pale Ale that is....Strong :oh. While the Delirium Nocturnum is the dark beer, I would say the heavier beer is the Pale Delirium Tremens. Very warming for a pale ale, sweet smelling but a nice dry finish. Very smooth, but I would the beer on the whole is deceiving. Recommended.

igotthegoods
June 08, 2012, 11:20 PM
Awesome! You tried Hitachino Nest White. :zomg I really love it. It's so easy to drink and the flavor profile is perfect for summer. Delirium Tremens is an old, nostalgic favorite of mine. It's probably the first higher alcohol content beer I really tried and enjoyed. I've since found other beers that I prefer, but it definitely started my love affair with Belgian ales. :3

I still haven't tried any Rauchbier style beers, but I would like to. Any that you (or anyone else) would recommend trying in particular?

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Almost forgot, but I tried a new beer earlier this week: La Fin Du Monde (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/34). It was a really nice tripel! It was fairly sweet, but not too much so. And the 9% ABV was very well hidden. Very smooth and easy to drink. I would highly recommend. :thumbs

xi0
June 08, 2012, 11:42 PM
I still have to tried the Ginger kind, the Red Rice, and the Expresso Stout :nod

I know Kaiten tried the Rauchbier Marzen and enjoyed it. Supposedly the Rauchbier flavor is much more intense due to the malt being kilned with beech wood instead of oak. I have a bottle of the Rauchbier Urbock but haven't tried it yet. I also have a big bottle of the Weihenstephaner Korbinian and the Dunkel. The only other variety I've seen is the Kristallweissbier. I still haven't seen the Vitus.

Jorge D. Dragon
June 11, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm enjoying now England against France with Old Bobby Ale.:) Not that special, but I like it.:) When it's cold and when you have some chips with it... it's perfect for watching football.;)

kkck
June 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
Well, I haven't tried a single new beer in months which goes to show how many varieties my country has lol. Wish I could find something.... anything lol.

igotthegoods
June 12, 2012, 09:22 AM
I still have to tried the Ginger kind, the Red Rice, and the Expresso Stout :nod

I know Kaiten tried the Rauchbier Marzen and enjoyed it. Supposedly the Rauchbier flavor is much more intense due to the malt being kilned with beech wood instead of oak. I have a bottle of the Rauchbier Urbock but haven't tried it yet. I also have a big bottle of the Weihenstephaner Korbinian and the Dunkel. The only other variety I've seen is the Kristallweissbier. I still haven't seen the Vitus.
I still have to try all the other Hitachino Nest beers as well -- I've only had the White Ale so far.

I'll have to try and remember to pick up a Rauchbier the next time I'm out shopping for beer. The smokiness sounds so interesting and I think summer would be a perfect time to pair it up with some barbecue. :nod Hopefully I'll see the Marzen you and Kaiten mentioned, which has some really good reviews. And hopefully you'll find the Vitus one of these days! :shakefist

Well, I haven't tried a single new beer in months which goes to show how many varieties my country has lol. Wish I could find something.... anything lol.

:comfort If I could help you find something, I would. Such a shame you don't have more to choose from. :(

xi0
June 13, 2012, 08:08 PM
I know Kaiten said he had the Marzen with a pulled-pork sandwich, but I have to be honest - if it's even more intense with the smokiness than the Eiche I'm not sure what I would pair it with. I feel like pairing it with barbecue might be redundant.

igotthegoods
June 24, 2012, 09:37 PM
I can see why pairing a Rauchbier with barbecue might seem redundant, but Beer Advocate suggested it. They also suggested pairing that beer style with other grilled or smoked meats as well as peppery or sharp cheeses. To be quite honest, I know very little about pairing beers with food.... so who knows. But I do know what I like when I taste it! If I ever have the two together, I'll have to let you know what I think.

Kaiten
June 24, 2012, 10:24 PM
I always know a pairing is good if the drink cleanses my palate without overwhelming the flavor of the food. Raubier is very intense and smokey, it would need to be paired with robust tasting food. Steak, pork chops, ribs, bleu cheese, something like that. I actually prefer pairings that contrast slightly, but can't think of anything that would be a nice contrast to the smokiness, and yet still robust enough not to be overpowered.

I did not actually eat pulled pork with the Marzen. I had pulled chicken with Orval, a very good pairing. The dryness of the Orval complimented the chicken very well, the slightly sweet bbq sauce contrasted the beer nicely.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

I'm not really sure about rauchbier with pulled pork. Pulled pork might not have a strong enough flavor for such an intense beer.

Kaiten
September 02, 2012, 07:13 PM
I tried two new beers this weekend, both by Belgian brewer Brasserie d'Achouffe. The first was La Chouffe, an 8% ABV blonde ale. A very interesting tasting beer with hints of clove, pepper, and caramel. A good beer I would recommend, something I definitely will try again.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3125/20120831190644640.jpg

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7679/20120831204508217.jpg
Next was Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, one of the best beers I have ever tried. The flavor is incredibly complex; very bright tasting, with a lot of hops, typical of an IPA. With 9% ABV, it also had the deep, dark flavor typical of a tripel.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/279/20120902143152609.jpg

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/7816/20120902135450599.jpg]

igotthegoods
September 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
I love La Chouffe! Pretty sure I've mentioned it here before. It's on tap at one of my favorite bars downtown, so I always have one when I go there. I haven't tried the Houblon yet, but it sounds like my type of beer. I need to check that one out soon.

Kaiten
September 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
You have. I recognized the blonde ale browsing for something to drink. I can't remember if you rec'ed the IPA though. La Chouffe was great, the IPA Tripel was better.

Weyerbacher Insanity, 11.1% ABV Barley Wine. Microbrew from northeastern Pennsylvania. Kicked my fucking ass:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/700/20120903130658838.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8434/20120903130521348.jpg

xi0
September 23, 2012, 12:49 AM
Okay so I still haven't tried some beers that I picked up over a month ago...but I went and got more. I had one few weeks ago that I forgot to post about though.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/779)

I don't have enough experience with doppelbocks to know if it's a good representation or not and I'm not sure whether the bottle I got was good because there was virtually no head at all. In any case, it was decent. Really syrupy and heavy but still smooth. Malty as hell. Spicy and sweet at times. Not necessarily a summer beer, but I don't care much for seasonal "rules" in the first place.

I got some more Hitachino brews, a Gouden Carolus Strong Dark Ale (11% abv), a strong english ale from Samuel Smith, and a Faro Lambic since I think Lambics are funky and weird and want to try as many different styles as possible. I'll post my thoughts after I partake.

---------- Post added September 19, 2012 at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was September 12, 2012 at 03:34 PM ----------

Lindemans Faro Lambic (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/7712)

I had the Gueuze so long ago, but this certainly has the same cidery taste and sour feel to it. But perhaps a bit sweeter. Plenty of carbonation, but sweet, bitter, and sour all at random times. Lambics are brewed with Wild Yeast, and "wild" is the perfect way to describe this beer. Some might say the beer is a bit of a mess, but it's just too unique not to experience.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/697/24751)

Spicy. I'm not really getting much ginger from it but it certainly has a big flavor to it. It's drinkable, but it seems sort of thick and syrupy, which isn't something that goes well with this kind of taste. For me at least. I was expecting something brighter and cleaner for some reason. No bad aftertaste at least.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/697/37836)

When I poured this it looked like crude oil, or more appropriately, black coffee. That's a consistent thing. It tastes like a strong, roasted coffee and like any stout, it's incredibly malty and creamy. Thick in body and robust, there's also something chocolatey about it. If you're a fan of black coffee, then holy crap get this. I would have preferred for it to be a bit sweeter, as I don't drink my coffee black. But man, what a brew. I really recommend it.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/697/4770/)

Something a little less unique in style, but still great. Reminds me a lot of a Pale Ale but unique in that there's a bit of a berry flavor to it. Not as layered and complex as a Strong Pale Ale. Really bright and clean. I think this is the most drinkable of the three I tried tonight. Recommended.

---------- Post added September 23, 2012 at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was September 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM ----------

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1534/6947)

Holy shit. This 11% abv Strong Dark Ale packs a punch. The alcohol is noticeable but it blends well with the sugary/fruit flavors I get from it. Reminds me of darker fruits. Decent carbonation, but smooth, and still sort of fades away and leaves no gross aftertaste. So good. I've had Strong Dark Ales before, but the extra umph of alcohol is warming, yet it STILL blends well and isn't offensive somehow.

I don't know if it's my favorite Strong Dark Ale, but it does a good job of being pretty drinkable

I might have consumed a large portion of the bottle too quickly :XD

Teubier
November 20, 2012, 07:06 AM
Lindemans Faro Lambic (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/7712)

I had the Gueuze so long ago, but this certainly has the same cidery taste and sour feel to it. But perhaps a bit sweeter. Plenty of carbonation, but sweet, bitter, and sour all at random times. Lambics are brewed with Wild Yeast, and "wild" is the perfect way to describe this beer. Some might say the beer is a bit of a mess, but it's just too unique not to experience.

I remember tasting this one in the midst of the engine sounds at the Nurb... unique beer for a unique experience. :hee Unrelated, but I couldn't help to get this from the name when I discovered it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFK747FYlgE
Talking about Lindermans, I just tried La Pecheresse (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/21382), which, for a sinner, was actually pretty decent. Jazzyjeff13's overall opinion is word for word what I felt about it:
"This isn't actually as sweet as some others that I've tried, but I'm not sure if that's simply due to age. It has a mildly oxidised mustiness that suggests it's been left a bit too long - but as it's a lambic it's hard to tell to what extent this may be the case. At any rate, it's OK but no masterpiece. Too sweet and one-dimensional; oude lambics blow this out of the water. Drinkable if taken on it's own terms. Try it once."
I'm hoping to taste something a bit more memorable from L'Angelus (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9411/18518). :hee

xi0
November 20, 2012, 07:15 AM
Ah, I've tried most of what Lindemann's makes. Seems it's similar to the Peche (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/598), which I wasn't a huge fan of. All of those are fine as dessert drinks, but the sweetened lambics pale in comparison to the traditional ones. But I enjoy sour things a lot, so who knows. Still drinkable though.

igotthegoods
November 23, 2012, 04:31 AM
The most interesting beer I've tried in a while is Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/223/50772), my first Flanders Red Ale. It was part of a beer flight that my friend ordered a couple of weeks ago at a bar, so I only had a few sips. But those few sips made a definite impression. I didn't have any previous knowledge about Flanders Red Ales, so I wasn't expecting it to be sour. I almost thought it was a cider at first sip. It's quite tart, with a definite cherry flavor. I want to try it again sometime to see how drinkable an entire glass would be, but I liked the small amount that I did have. I would recommend trying it if you're looking for something a little off the beaten path.

Crude
December 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
So I'm in Germany at the moment and was wondering if anyone could recommend me some great beers? Also, I'll be going to Austria soon and would like to know what are the best brands there as well.

xi0
December 26, 2012, 11:19 PM
So I'm in Germany at the moment and was wondering if anyone could recommend me some great beers? Also, I'll be going to Austria soon and would like to know what are the best brands there as well.

Anything by Weihenstephaner (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252)

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Weyerbacher Blasphemy (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/35774) - I've taken recommendations from the closest liquor store to me before, and the last one (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/877/41722) was disappointing as well. The guy said it was aged in bourbon barrels or some nonsense. Needless to say, I won't be taking recommendations from there again. Nothing really good about this one. Sickening sweet, gritty and just too intense on all fronts. I'm fine with intense flavors, but there's just no balance to it or quality. It's just super harsh-tasting and blargh. Nothing pleasant about it and I didn't even finish the 750ml bottle. It's blasphemous :derp

Schabrak
December 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
Tried a Herforder Pils already? It's nothing "special", but a great beer anyway. Got to promote my neighboring town's tasty beverage somehow. :derp Or some Beck's (http://blog.appboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/becks3.jpg) in all it's variations. (https://www.becks.de/bier).
http://www.beerbox.de/wp-content/uploads/herforder_frieden.jpg

And here is the official BILD chart for popular brands. Doesn't mean every single one is savory though. :D

1 Oettinger 6,59 Mio. - 1,9 %
2 Krombacher 5,38 Mio. -1,3 %
3 Bitburger 3,85 Mio. - 0,2 %
4 Warsteiner 2,84 Mio. - 4,9 %
5 Beck‘s 2,83 Mio. - 4,2 %
6 Hasseröder 2,74 Mio. + 4,5 %
7 Veltins 2,47 Mio. - 3,8 %
8 Paulaner 2,16 Mio. - 0,5 %
9 Radeberger 1,81 Mio. + 0,8 %
10 Erdinger 1,59 Mio. + 2,5 %
11 Sternburg 1,41 Mio. - 14,8 %
12 König 1,31 Mio. - 4,9 %
13 Augustiner 1,26 Mio. + 5,2 %
14 Holsten 1,15 Mio. - 1,2 %
15 Jever 1,10 Mio. - 3,9 %
16 Franziskaner 1,09 Mio. - 0,4 %

xi0
December 29, 2012, 03:39 AM
Beck's? Are you serious? :notrust

Schabrak
December 29, 2012, 06:38 AM
Ne, seriös bin ich net.:O It's not great, but Gold was mild to drink, the normal one isn't bad tasting either, but I dislike most of their mixed stuff. But me and drinking are years apart, so I will just hide away again.

xi0
December 29, 2012, 06:58 AM
Ne, seriös bin ich net.:O It's not great, but Gold was mild to drink, the normal one isn't bad tasting either, but I dislike most of their mixed stuff. But me and drinking are years apart, so I will just hide away again.

LOL...no. I just said so because in taking a trip to Germany, it's a not a beer worth seeking out. In fact, it would be quite easy to find no? Beck's is all over the place here and I wouldn't be surprised if he could obtain it in his home country. It's like going to Holland to drink Heineken. There has to be better choices.

Schabrak
December 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
Looking for those special beers will be quiet hard in any normal super market, so he can just as well ask a store clerk once he gets into one with a good assortment. And since Crude Cross will be here, he can also try some good Czech beer too. Someone on FB posted a beer advent calender again, will take a screen shot sometime later.

xi0
December 29, 2012, 07:20 AM
Looking for those special beers will be quiet hard in any normal super market, so he can just as well ask a store clerk once he gets into one with a good assortment. And since Crude Cross will be here, he can also try some good Czech beer too. Someone on FB posted a beer advent calender again, will take a screen shot sometime later.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure whether he was going on brewery tours or not myself :sweat

EMS
January 05, 2013, 10:41 AM
i'm drinking the classic bud light and to finish corona this weekend..

mikkih
January 11, 2013, 11:29 AM
I tried Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from New Belgium Brewing. Supposedly it came out in Oct., 2012. I didn't like it all that much but liked it when I put some coffee ice cream in it. First time ever to make an ice cream float with beer.

xi0
January 12, 2013, 03:58 AM
I tried Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from New Belgium Brewing. Supposedly it came out in Oct., 2012. I didn't like it all that much but liked it when I put some coffee ice cream in it. First time ever to make an ice cream float with beer.

I've heard of making ice cream floats with fruit lambics but never this :omg

Sound's interesting :XD

mikkih
January 12, 2013, 11:52 AM
Sound's interesting :XD

Speaking of interesting, I thought Schlenkerla Urbock, smoke beer, tasted interesting.

xi0
January 12, 2013, 11:58 AM
Speaking of interesting, I thought Schlenkerla Urbock, smoke beer, tasted interesting.

I still haven't tried it yet. I've had a bottle for months :lmao

I tried Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche back when I bought it and I wasn't terribly fond of it.

mikkih
January 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
I still haven't tried it yet. I've had a bottle for months :lmao

I tried Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche back when I bought it and I wasn't terribly fond of it.

Sadly, I can't recommend you to open your bottle. I thought it was like some beer with a drop of liquid smoke. Edit/Add: It is probably one of those acquired taste, and it may be good with BBQ or something.

xi0
January 12, 2013, 10:43 PM
Sadly, I can't recommend you to open your bottle. I thought it was like some beer with a drop of liquid smoke. Edit/Add: It is probably one of those acquired taste, and it may be good with BBQ or something.

I'm not going to waste it :p

Don't worry, I have a tolerant palate :verily

mikkih
January 13, 2013, 06:35 PM
Another acquired taste...bourbon beer

xi0
January 14, 2013, 01:38 AM
Another acquired taste...bourbon beer

I think I've had a few. It seems like the new fad, everything aged in this barrel and that barrel. What kind did you try?

Evil3ye
January 14, 2013, 09:09 AM
I bought a Guiness fourpack (http://shop.edeka24.de/out/pictures/master/product/1/guinness-4x044-l-dose.jpg) recently, and while drinking the first can I noticed there's some plastic ball something in it. Can somebody tell me what it is about, it's sort of annoying.

xi0
January 14, 2013, 09:15 AM
I bought a Guiness fourpack (http://shop.edeka24.de/out/pictures/master/product/1/guinness-4x044-l-dose.jpg) recently, and while drinking the first can I noticed there's some plastic ball something in it. Can somebody tell me what it is about, it's sort of annoying.

It's to simulate the head formation that you get on tap. They're called "widgets", and they have a different kind in the bottles. It creates smaller bubbles due to added nitrogen and that creates a "creamier" head, something you'd want from a stout.

Evil3ye
January 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Ah ok, I drank it from the can, and every time I took a sip the thing rolled to the front of the can. That was so not cool. I was about to slice it up and look what's inside, but I didn't want to wast the 25cents for the can. :p

xi0
January 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
Ah ok, I drank it from the can, and every time I took a sip the thing rolled to the front of the can. That was so not cool. I was about to slice it up and look what's inside, but I didn't want to wast the 25cents for the can. :p

LOL...you're not supposed to drink it from the can :lmao

The whole point is pouring it and letting it cascade and form a head.

Evil3ye
January 14, 2013, 09:27 AM
Yeah yeah, everything makes perfect sense now, but it's not like I have proper beer glases here. Just some coca cola glases from McDonalds, so its purpose won't be served here anyway.

xi0
January 14, 2013, 09:28 AM
Yeah yeah, everything makes perfect sense now, but it's not like I have proper beer glases here. Just some coca cola glases from McDonalds, so its purpose won't be served here anyway.

Those would work. I'm not picky about glasses :p

Don't you guys have cheap stores there? They have a dollar store near here which has a ton of glassware, and it isn't too bad.

Evil3ye
January 14, 2013, 09:33 AM
Of course we have, but since I'm moving out in a month and then move on to wherever a half year after I didn't really bother to buy anything new last few months, as I'd end up trashing all that stuff again, as I'd not know where to put it. So yeah.

xi0
January 14, 2013, 09:35 AM
Of course we have, but since I'm moving out in a month and then move on to wherever a half year after I didn't really bother to buy anything new last few months, as I'd end up trashing all that stuff again, as I'd not know where to put it. So yeah.

Makes sense, but the ones I got are only $1 a pop, so it wouldn't stop me :XD

mikkih
January 14, 2013, 10:23 PM
I think I've had a few. It seems like the new fad, everything aged in this barrel and that barrel. What kind did you try?I had a couple different ones, but the one I remember is Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout. It was really strong...

xi0
January 15, 2013, 02:06 AM
I had a couple different ones, but the one I remember is Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout. It was really strong...

Wow, yeah 15% is really strong :XD

I wasn't expecting a stout, more an ale. Weird.

mikkih
January 15, 2013, 09:33 AM
Wow, yeah 15% is really strong :XD

I wasn't expecting a stout, more an ale. Weird. I think that the beer is actually a wine in disguise.

xi0
January 15, 2013, 09:38 AM
I think that the beer is actually a wine in disguise.

When it gets about 12% you start seeing them called Barleywines, yeah :nod

At least, I usually only see those with higher ABV in that style.

Drmke
January 15, 2013, 09:28 PM
I tried Guinness Black the other day and thought it was the best thing ever. I know, I suck at beer, but duh shit is growing on me quick. Already prefer it over liquor.

xi0
January 29, 2013, 02:28 AM
Meh, I had it when it first came out and wasn't really impressed. It tastes fine, but I imagine the Guinness being slapped on it is what makes it sell. It's nothing like Guinness though.

---------- Post added January 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was January 15, 2013 at 09:43 PM ----------

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/263/1324/) - Supposedly dubbed a "Smokebock". I like this a lot more than the Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche for sure. It has that same smokiness, but it's balanced nicely. That being said, this style I'm not terribly fond of. The smokey character is still definitely more palatable here than with the Eiche because of the lower ABV I guess.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/86189) - Their Oatmeal Stout is a must have, so I jumped at the chance of trying this. I've had a few Chocolate Stouts before and liked them. This was no exception. It's a bit sweeter than Young's Double Chocolate Stout, and the presence of chocolate sort of stays with you longer while drinking it. But it's a Samuel Smith's stout, so expect quality.

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/760) - A lot like the Hefeweizen, only with the yeast filtered from it. Results in maybe a more subtle, yet cleaner taste. A bit spicy and plenty of nice carbonation.

Samuel Smith's Organic Cider (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-smiths-organic-cider/68856/) - Not a beer obviously, but if you can get a hold of some, try it. It's really clean and refreshing.

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/46749/) - The strongest beer Samuel Smith makes aside from the Barleywine. Fruity smelling, fruit tasting. You can tell it packs a wallop, but it still has good balance. Nothing really imposing in taste. It has a slight alcoholic burn to it. It's deep colored and deep tasting, but maybe not as complex as darker Belgian beers. A decent brew, but Samuel Smith is known for it's stouts for a reason I guess. A lot of craft brewers are using this style in their bourbon/casked-aged beers that seem to be a fad recently and a ton of them just end of a mess and can be downright offensive tasting for me. That's not the case here at all at least.

---------- Post added January 29, 2013 at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was January 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM ----------

Dogfish Head Red & White (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/32435) - This is a unique one. It takes the popular Belgian Witbier style (Blue Moon, Allagash White, Hoegaarden) and puts a spin on it by fermenting it with Pinot Noir juice. Expect a bright flavor, the spicy and citrus flavor you get from a Witbier. You definitely get the fruitiness of a wine from this; the warming of a red wine maybe? It has really perfect carbonation though. All that being said, it's sweet. Maybe a bit too sweet but it's brewed well and I don't mind it. With 10% ABV, it doesn't feel particularly heavy aside from the warmth though.

M3J
January 29, 2013, 02:40 AM
Nattie Ice tastes like shit. :verily

xi0
February 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Nattie Ice tastes like shit. :verily

Anything with "Ice" in the title is designed to get you drunk. Nothing else.

---------- Post added February 12, 2013 at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was January 29, 2013 at 02:40 AM ----------

Btw, mikkih - on a whim I added a scoop or two of chocolate/vanilla ice cream to a glass of Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout and it's surprisingly good! :hee

Imperium
February 12, 2013, 04:42 PM
So went to a pub with goldb a couple of days ago.

Drank, Blue Monkey Guerrilla. It was nice really dark stout, quite strong however. I also had a black country pig on the wall, which was a local ale. I had two other largers as well, which I am unable to find the name from on the website (and cant remember it!).

xi0
February 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
So went to a pub with goldb a couple of days ago.

Drank, Blue Monkey Guerrilla. It was nice really dark stout, quite strong however. I also had a black country pig on the wall, which was a local ale. I had two other largers as well, which I am unable to find the name from on the website (and cant remember it!).

I thought you weren't much for beer? Or did I dream that?

Imperium
February 12, 2013, 04:57 PM
I dont mind casual drinking but it's not my alcoholic beverage of choice if thats what you mean.

xi0
February 12, 2013, 05:01 PM
I dont mind casual drinking but it's not my alcoholic beverage of choice if thats what you mean.

Cocktails? Wine? Shots?

Imperium
February 12, 2013, 05:07 PM
Whisky actually. Followed by cocktails. Wine actually makes me sick really easily, just the smell of some fortified wines (vermouth) make me gag too.

xi0
February 19, 2013, 11:27 PM
Whisky actually. Followed by cocktails. Wine actually makes me sick really easily, just the smell of some fortified wines (vermouth) make me gag too.

I'm not much for fortified wine either...belongs in mixed drinks only.

I like wine sometimes, the high is pretty different compared to beer.

---------- Post added February 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was February 12, 2013 at 05:11 PM ----------

Dogfish Head Noble Rot (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/66507) - Was pleasantly surprised by this one. Spicy and not too sweet. Apparently it's brewed with grape must or something. It sort of has a white wine character to it, but still manages to have a nice, tart, dry finish to it. Definitely recommended.

---------- Post added February 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was February 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM ----------

Dogfish Head Positive Contact (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/76781) - This one is unique. A witbier brewed with apple cider. Don't ask me. Usually this style will go for citrus/orange flavor to balance the coriander-type spice. Instead this uses Fuji apples, cilantro, and cayenne pepper. I know what you're probably thinking...weird right? But it tastes fantastic. You wouldn't believe this beer is 9% ABV because the alcohol is really hidden well. After finishing the 750ml bottle I sort of have that warm feeling, but it's really easy to drink. Goes down smooth, nice carbonation. Definitely recommended if you like Belgian whites. Even if you don't, it's worth trying as it's different than most that I've had. It's my favorite from my recent run of Dogfish Head bottles.

I also got a bottle of Theobroma (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/41702), but I honestly didn't like it all that much. Let my brother finish it since he recommended it.

M3J
February 20, 2013, 04:47 AM
Anything with "Ice" in the title is designed to get you drunk. Nothing else.

There is no way anythin that tastes so watered down is designed to get one drunk. Just no way, man. X_x

xi0
February 20, 2013, 01:50 PM
There is no way anythin that tastes so watered down is designed to get one drunk. Just no way, man. X_x

It is. That's why you see it sold with malt liquor, which is also designed to get you drunk.

M3J
February 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
I've gotten drunk or tipsy off bud Light Platinum much faster than off Natty Light or whatever it's called.

American beers suck though. I think I might try more German beer.

[/insiderjokewithoutthejoke]

xi0
February 23, 2013, 02:23 PM
I've gotten drunk or tipsy off bud Light Platinum much faster than off Natty Light or whatever it's called.

American beers suck though. I think I might try more German beer.

[/insiderjokewithoutthejoke]

You're just looking in the wrong places. Most American Adjunct Lagers suck.

Bud Platinum is barely beer...it's practically malt liquor.

M3J
February 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
That explains.

But almost every American beer I've tasted were horrible. As a lot said, it's like it's watered down. :-_-

xi0
February 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
That explains.

But almost every American beer I've tasted were horrible. As a lot said, it's like it's watered down. :-_-

That's because they're probably watered down. Any of the really popular brands aren't of quality. It's because they use adjunct malt and cheap ingredients. The stuff is drinkable, but I can't honestly say the experience is representative of REAL beer. Try to find some Dogfish Head. It's a brewery in Delaware.

M3J
February 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
They have some real beer there? What's the brewery about?

Did we try any Dutch beer at the meeting? I wanna try one cuz Koen praises it so.

xi0
February 23, 2013, 03:34 PM
They have some real beer there? What's the brewery about?

Did we try any Dutch beer at the meeting? I wanna try one cuz Koen praises it so.

Yeah, it's a local brewery. Just go on here (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64) to look at their beers. Has to be easy to find their beer in Philly and it isn't stupidly expensive.

Uhhhh.....no. You mean Belgian.

M3J
February 23, 2013, 03:52 PM
Will do, thanks. \o So it's a good-tasting American beer?

And yes, I do.

xi0
February 23, 2013, 04:21 PM
Will do, thanks. \o So it's a good-tasting American beer?

And yes, I do.

They make a ton of different kinds

M3J
February 23, 2013, 04:44 PM
What would be the best one?

xi0
February 23, 2013, 05:29 PM
Kujo is good. I also liked Positive Contact.

M3J
May 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
Anyone ever had Dos Equois? How is it?

xi0
May 05, 2013, 06:35 PM
Anyone ever had Dos Equois? How is it?

Moved your post.

It's better than Corona Extra, that's for sure. But it's still pretty weak. The Amber isn't too bad though, from what I remember.

David Rose
May 08, 2013, 02:46 PM
My current favourite beer is Staropramen. Those czech guys really know their beers!

I usually go with Holsten Pils (do NOT confuse with Holsten Edel) when I want to drink a whole night. Sometimes Becks.

When it comes to beer i can clearly recommend:
Heineken, Guinness, Kilkenny, Tennents, Flensburger and most other german beers.

If you happen to be in Germany do not try this:
5.0, Holsten Edel, Astra, Öttinger and everything cheaper. Just don't. There is this myth about german quality beer, but 2€ can make a huge difference.

edit: If I'm in the right mood I also like San Miguel with green olives. :verily:

Asarii
June 10, 2013, 06:24 AM
Ever since I've been in Berlin, I've grown accustomed to drinking beer. :beer

I like BECKS and Berliner Pilsner. Dark beer is still strong for me though.

xi0
June 10, 2013, 12:14 PM
Becks? You can do better than Becks :bored

Asarii
June 10, 2013, 03:02 PM
Becks? You can do better than Becks :bored
I just started drinking beer not too long ago. I have to start somewhere right? :verily

xi0
June 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
I just started drinking beer not too long ago. I have to start somewhere right? :verily

You're in Germany....you can start somewhere better :arf

Kaiten
June 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
Drinking a Saison Dupont (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/1717). An amazing beer, among the best I've ever had.

xi0
June 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
Lambrucha (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22399/56855) - A lambic brewed with kombucha tea. Uh, I'm not really sure what to make of this. I didn't even finish the bottle. It definitely has a typical, lambic character to it but the combination of peppery, pickly, earthy taste to it was offensive to me. It's definitely wild and complex like most lambic, but the kombucha is just too much. It sort of has a dry white wine thing going on with it at times, but the offenseive, overpowering pickle/olive juice taste to it just throws me off. I'd say try anything once, but I'm probably not returning to this one.

Kaiten
June 27, 2013, 11:00 AM
Drinking Anchor Porter (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28/61), an exceptionally good American Porter. Dark, malty flavor, foamy, tasting like coffee and dark chocolate.

danzouismadara
July 10, 2013, 03:50 AM
guinness all the way!

Kaiten
July 21, 2013, 01:22 PM
Drinking a Pranqster (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/411). A good bear, nice flavor, almost no bitterness.

danzouismadara
July 22, 2013, 05:27 AM
Stella artois was like cat piss lol I don't recommend it at all.

xi0
July 22, 2013, 04:05 PM

There are worse beers

Kaiten
August 14, 2013, 03:21 PM
I'm drinking a Long Strange Tripel (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/39754), from the Boulevard Brewing Co, Kansas City, Mo. With less of a pronounced alocohal flavor it is one of the better Tripel's I have ever had. Hints of cherry and semi-sweet chocolate. A good beer, but not totally to my taste. I like, but do not love, Tripels. Recommended to anyone who likes strong beer.

There are worse beers

Stella is not terrible. For that price range it is a solid lager.

---------- Post added August 14, 2013 at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was August 05, 2013 at 09:10 PM ----------

Blue Moon Pumpkin ale was surprisingly not crappy. Not really good, but pleasantly drinkable.

xi0
August 14, 2013, 09:18 PM
Why are you drinking a Pumpkin Ale in August? You're doing it wrong!

Kaiten
August 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
My dad bought a 12 pack of Blue Moon seasonal beer, so I tried some. I wouldn't waste money buying bottles of Blue Moon myself. I'd rather spend the extra $5 for something more enjoyable.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Blue Moon is something I would normally get at a Nats game. Nationals Park beer selection is notoriously bad. They did open a new local, craft beer stand. That is something of an improvement. I didn't get any when I was there Sunday, the line was too long. I ended up with a Newcastle, which paired surprisingly well with a half smoke all the way. That does not change the fact that Newcastle is kind of bland. It can't be compared to a real brown ale, like Samuel Smiths.

KungPaoChicken
August 15, 2013, 08:01 PM
Dos Equis and the occasional Corona. The Dos Equis guy inspired me . :zomg

xi0
August 15, 2013, 08:21 PM
Blue Moon is something I would normally get at a Nats game. Nationals Park beer selection is notoriously bad. They did open a new local, craft beer stand. That is something of an improvement. I didn't get any when I was there Sunday, the line was too long. I ended up with a Newcastle, which paired surprisingly well with a half smoke all the way. That does not change the fact that Newcastle is kind of bland. It can't be compared to a real brown ale, like Samuel Smiths.

Yeah fair enough. I'd probably go with the Newcastle 9 out of 10 times though

kkck
August 16, 2013, 01:17 PM
I tried a Petra the other day (brasilian beer). Not bad at all.

M3J
August 16, 2013, 02:10 PM
Moved your post.

It's better than Corona Extra, that's for sure. But it's still pretty weak. The Amber isn't too bad though, from what I remember.
Where was it? O_o

So it's another overhyped beer that doesn't deserve to be advertised the way it is? The TV ads are brilliant though... probably helps with its sales?

Ever since I've been in Berlin, I've grown accustomed to drinking beer. :beer

I like BECKS and Berliner Pilsner. Dark beer is still strong for me though.
Ugh, Becks. Had that in England, it was horrible, I couldn't finish it. One of the few horrid tasting beers that I couldn't finish, and I drank 64 oz of Hurricane my first time.

try Corona. If you're ever joining us in DC, we'll go to Mussel. SO MANY SELECTION OF BEER! :arf I liked the beer I got.

We both can annoy Gary or Kait or goodsy on which beer to get. :verily (if Gary doesn't say no to joining the meet :-_-)

But recommendation: avoid most American-made beers or at least, companies that make beers like Nattie [Natural] Ice, Coors, Bud Light, etc. Bud LIght platinum was good, but apart from that, all beers I've had from America tasted like pee. At least, it tasted like what pee smells like.

Blue Moon garnished with orange is good though.

Lambrucha (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22399/56855) - A lambic brewed with kombucha tea. Uh, I'm not really sure what to make of this. I didn't even finish the bottle. It definitely has a typical, lambic character to it but the combination of peppery, pickly, earthy taste to it was offensive to me. It's definitely wild and complex like most lambic, but the kombucha is just too much. It sort of has a dry white wine thing going on with it at times, but the offenseive, overpowering pickle/olive juice taste to it just throws me off. I'd say try anything once, but I'm probably not returning to this one.
Better or worse than Nattie Ice?

lol

There are worse beers

Yeah, like Nattie Ice and Coors.

Kaiten
August 16, 2013, 05:36 PM
Yeah fair enough. I'd probably go with the Newcastle 9 out of 10 times though

There are venders that serve Stella, and some that sells Pilsner Urquell. None of them are close to Ben's Chili Bowl. Newcastle is better anyway. There is a vender that serves Sammy on the third base side Ben's, but I was at the Ben's on the first base side, near my seats. The Craft Beer stand was probably better than Newcastle, but I had no patience to wait in line.

xi0
August 16, 2013, 08:28 PM
Where was it? O_o

So it's another overhyped beer that doesn't deserve to be advertised the way it is? The TV ads are brilliant though... probably helps with its sales?

Hangout Thread

Overhyped? Eh, I don't know about that. It's popular enough and has been for a while.

Ugh, Becks. Had that in England, it was horrible, I couldn't finish it. One of the few horrid tasting beers that I couldn't finish, and I drank 64 oz of Hurricane my first time.

I'd have a Becks before a Heineken.

But recommendation: avoid most American-made beers or at least, companies that make beers like Nattie [Natural] Ice, Coors, Bud Light, etc. Bud LIght platinum was good, but apart from that, all beers I've had from America tasted like pee. At least, it tasted like what pee smells like.

You don't know what you're talking about. And DO NOT CALL NATURAL ICE/LIGHT NATTIE! IT ISN'T NATTIE.

Bud Light Platinum is awful and it isn't beer, it's malt liquor.

No it isn't.

There are venders that serve Stella, and some that sells Pilsner Urquell. None of them are close to Ben's Chili Bowl. Newcastle is better anyway. There is a vender that serves Sammy on the third base side Ben's, but I was at the Ben's on the first base side, near my seats. The Craft Beer stand was probably better than Newcastle, but I had no patience to wait in line.

Choices aren't so bad. I'm not really a fan of Sam Adams though.

M3J
August 17, 2013, 12:26 AM
Hangout Thread

Overhyped? Eh, I don't know about that. It's popular enough and has been for a while.
Oh. Interesting.

But if it's not as good as claimed, then it is overhyped, no?

I'd have a Becks before a Heineken.

You don't know what you're talking about. And DO NOT CALL NATURAL ICE/LIGHT NATTIE! IT ISN'T NATTIE.

Bud Light Platinum is awful and it isn't beer, it's malt liquor.
They both suck though.

Yes I do. AND IT IS NATTIE AS A NICKNAME!

Potato potahto. Still better than most beers I've had.

How is it not? Definitely tasted better with orange in it than without.

No it isn't.

Choices aren't so bad. I'm not really a fan of Sam Adams though.[/QUOTE]

xi0
August 17, 2013, 12:43 AM
Oh. Interesting.

But if it's not as good as claimed, then it is overhyped, no?

It's an adjunct lager. They're not made to be good. They're made to sell for cheap and get people fucked up.

They both suck though.

Yes I do. AND IT IS NATTIE AS A NICKNAME!

Potato potahto. Still better than most beers I've had.

How is it not? Definitely tasted better with orange in it than without.

No. The only Nattie is Nattie Boh. Stop regurgitating what retard college kids call something.

If you need to garnish your beer, have floaters in it, or add something to it, you're doing it wrong. The beer isn't good enough on it's own, then...YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

M3J
August 17, 2013, 01:00 AM
Oh.

Then stop reacting every time I say it. It's fun to see you get all mad and stuff whenever someone calls it "Nattie." What's Nattie Boh though? I think we had this discussion before but I forget.

I DON'T EVEN LIKE BEER FFS!

Naomidee
August 17, 2013, 01:24 AM
FAVORITE BEER OF ALL TIME:

Left Hand.

Sweet jesus. Sweet fucking jesus. I'm in love.

xi0
August 17, 2013, 01:27 AM
Oh.

Then stop reacting every time I say it. It's fun to see you get all mad and stuff whenever someone calls it "Nattie." What's Nattie Boh though? I think we had this discussion before but I forget.

I DON'T EVEN LIKE BEER FFS!

National Bohemian

Then why are you posting here? :oh

FAVORITE BEER OF ALL TIME:

Left Hand.

Sweet jesus. Sweet fucking jesus. I'm in love.

Which one?

Naomidee
August 17, 2013, 01:47 AM
:allthe Left Hands!

But prolly Nitro. :arf

xi0
August 17, 2013, 01:48 AM
:allthe Left Hands!

But prolly Nitro. :arf

Left Hand is a brewery/brand, not a name of a beer :cookiearf

Naomidee
August 17, 2013, 01:50 AM
And I probably have a slight predisposition to love it since I lived in Longmont on the St. Vrain for a while. :sweat

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Left Hand is a brewery/brand, not a name of a beer :cookiearf

Left Hand Nitro. I gave you a specific name. Milk Stout. :bored

xi0
August 17, 2013, 01:50 AM
And I probably have a slight predisposition to love it since I lived in Longmont on the St. Vrain for a while. :sweat

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Left Hand Nitro. I gave you a specific name. Milk Stout.

Okay, I was looking up info online and I guess they changed the name of it. Milk Stouts are good. I wonder if I can find it here. I've heard of the brewery before, but don't recall seeing it.

Naomidee
August 17, 2013, 02:00 AM
Okay, I was looking up info online and I guess they changed the name of it. Milk Stouts are good. I wonder if I can find it here. I've heard of the brewery before, but don't recall seeing it.

I know! It is hard to find since it's a local company. I was honestly very shocked to find it this far south. And in a place as state-obsessed as Texas at that. My favorite beers before Left hand were Blue Moon Belgian White and Fat Tire Amber though. Before I ever even knew they were CO companies. I have a fetish for Colorado beers it seems. :love

xi0
August 17, 2013, 02:55 AM
I know! It is hard to find since it's a local company. I was honestly very shocked to find it this far south. And in a place as state-obsessed as Texas at that. My favorite beers before Left hand were Blue Moon Belgian White and Fat Tire Amber though. Before I ever even knew they were CO companies. I have a fetish for Colorado beers it seems. :love

MillerCoors bought Blue Moon, so they're hardly a CO company anymore. I think there are many better Witbiers than Blue Moon, but whatever. I can fuck with some Fat Tire though. :nod

Naomidee
August 17, 2013, 03:08 AM
I like Miller too though. I can't deny that even if I tried. :sweat

If I add some fresh orange to Blue Moon, it's just RIGHT. I can't really say that about any other beer I've encountered. Fat Tire~~~! :arf:cookiearf to prove I'm dedicated to this shit yo bro whore man. :arf

xi0
August 17, 2013, 03:24 AM
I like Miller too though. I can't deny that even if I tried. :sweat

If I add some fresh orange to Blue Moon, it's just RIGHT. I can't really say that about any other beer I've encountered. Fat Tire~~~! :arf:cookiearf to prove I'm dedicated to this shit yo bro whore man. :arf

Yuck

Just go drink a shandy then -_-;

...you bro whore man?

M3J
August 17, 2013, 12:27 PM
National Bohemian

Then why are you posting here? :oh

... Beer?

Because this is about beer and I'm discussing beer? I dunno.

MillerCoors bought Blue Moon,

Fuuuuck, Jesus hates good beers, doesn't he? -_-

KungPaoChicken
August 17, 2013, 09:48 PM
Haha. I want to know, are there any minors here. USA age'd, which is under 21. Or any other county. Whatever, i'm pretty dam sure every minor in the world has drank. :^_^

Naomidee
August 17, 2013, 10:50 PM
I drink considerably less now that I am of age. :nod

Asarii
August 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
See, I'm still new to the beer thing so I can't really compare Becks with other drinks. >_< I'm sure there are much better brands out there; I just haven't tried them out yet.

try Corona. If you're ever joining us in DC, we'll go to Mussel. SO MANY SELECTION OF BEER! :arf I liked the beer I got.

We both can annoy Gary or Kait or goodsy on which beer to get. :verily (if Gary doesn't say no to joining the meet :-_-)
There's Corona in Canada so I'll check it out the next time I'm at a liquor store.

Which brand is your favourite?

I wasn't too keen on trying those beer brands anyway. :XD Especially those beers that underage kids drink at parties and think they're awesome while getting wasted...

Blue Moon sounds good! I like fruity drinks like cocktails so it seems like my kind of beer.

M3J
August 20, 2013, 04:23 PM
See, I'm still new to the beer thing so I can't really compare Becks with other drinks. >_< I'm sure there are much better brands out there; I just haven't tried them out yet.
Try 'em. With your mom or dad. :verily

There's Corona in Canada so I'll check it out the next time I'm at a liquor store.

Which brand is your favourite?
Enjoy. Best with lime though. Not sure if you'd like Corona. Dunno if I have any favorite, since I don't like beer. I do drink Blue Moon or Corona sometimes. Few days ago at the bar I had H-something. Forgot the name. It was good beer though.

I wasn't too keen on trying those beer brands anyway. :XD Especially those beers that underage kids drink at parties and think they're awesome while getting wasted...
Mainly cuz it's cheap though. Even when my roommates were planning a party last year, they were looking for the cheapest rum/alcohol.

Blue Moon sounds good! I like fruity drinks like cocktails so it seems like my kind of beer.

Hmm, I don't think most beers are fruity though. Apple cider ale or whatever was good. I had it in Philly!

Go with mimosas! It's a good brunch drink, apparently.

xi0
August 20, 2013, 08:32 PM
There are many different kinds of fruit beer actually. Some ales, but also lambic.

Kaiten
September 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
Drinking A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/49789) by Lagunitas. A wonderful beer with a crappy name. A hoppy, tangy wheat beer, 7.5% ABV. Recommended.

---------- Post added September 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was August 21, 2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

I'm drinking a Poperings Hommel Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/634/1692). Surprisingly light, hope, and yeasty for a Belgian. Very good, something I'd definitely buy again.

---------- Post added September 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was September 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM ----------

Drinking a Midas Touch, by Dogfish Head.

xi0
October 05, 2013, 01:09 AM
Having Sweet Baby Jesus (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1924/88269) by Duclaw, and local brewpub here. Described as a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. It's a decent drink, tastes of chocolate and peanut butter candy, along with just enough bitterness. Not too sweet. Recommended.

Koen
October 05, 2013, 06:01 AM
Lol, the fathers of Rochefort (trappist) beer fear for the existence of their beer. Reason: their water is threatened by drilling operations for chalk. Water is a very important ingredient for beer. You can not believe how a beer would taste different if its water isn't the same.

Anyway, last time I enjoyed a Tripel Karmeliet (draft). It is being served more and more as draught beer. It tastes very good

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Drinking a Saison Dupont (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/637/1717). An amazing beer, among the best I've ever had.

I agree Kait...

Amazing beer indeed. Its taste and bitterness are really in an harmony. I can also advocate moinette and avec les bons voeux from the same brewery.

Sai_the_Shaman
October 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
Koen, I finished my last bottle of Chimay Speciale Cent Cinquante...I must go buy more for sure(since the store I go to has like 3 cases still). I found this one to be a lot more refreshing than the other Chimays while still being quite full bodied and complex on the palatte. It has some fruity notes without actually being sweet and even some spice. It actually paired magnificently with some fried chicken and brussel sprouts I made over the weekend.

EDIT with pic of the bottles...

http://i.imgur.com/LWon86T.jpg

xi0
October 22, 2013, 01:05 AM
I almost grabbed a bottle of it, but I might have missed out...damn

Sai_the_Shaman
October 22, 2013, 01:20 AM
Can't get anymore Garbear? Come visit me here...I'll give you some...and feed you too!

xi0
October 22, 2013, 01:32 AM
LOL, I just meant it seemed like a limited thing. I haven't been to the place I frequent for a while now, so I don't know if it's still in stock. I'd say it's probably doubtful.

TStew
December 22, 2013, 11:25 AM
Nice thread! :delerium
I really like the more interesting craft brews. And its my favorite time of year again... Christmas Ale season :thumbs

One of my favorites from a somewhat local Ohio brewery...
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/kc2ebm/misc/beers/IMG_4530_600.jpg

I took that shot last year, but it came out nice I think.

LadyHatake
December 27, 2013, 01:47 AM
I need recommendations! After swearing when I was younger that I would never like beer, I find myself in a dilemma: I like beer now! Problem being, I'm not very good at figuring out which ones to try. I prefer golden and pales, but I'm not opposed to going darker.

Beers I know that I like:

O'Conner Brewery Green Can (from a local brewery in Norfolk, VA)
Leinenkugel Summer Shandy
Leinenkugel Orange Shandy
Gordon Biersch (GB) Hefeweizen
GB Marzen
GB Blondebock/Golden Export

Beers I don't like:

Anything really sweet/fruit
GB Czech Pilsner
Delirium Nocturnum

I know there are others I've tried but I can't remember :( Any recommendations? I'd like to try some stouts and porters but I don't know where to start. Thanks for any help :)