PDA

View Full Version : Powers Luffy's Attacks

Josef K.
November 19, 2011, 10:19 PM
I have always wondered about Luffy and the pacing of his attacks, this became evident during the Enies Lobby fights, though when I look backwards all of his attacks have been paced since the start. His first attack was Gomu Gomu no Pistol, which he also used as first attack when using gear 2nd and gear 3rd once he activated them. His pacing also seems evident when using his attacks one after another, mainly this might be part of Oda's writing as well, after pistol he used bazooka then rifle and then Gatling, though some attacks in between as well, but it is evident that there are certain levels between Luffy's attacks.

His new attacks are somewhat paced as well, but Oda showed Giant Gatling now and it was the crown of his gear 3rd attacks. So in order for new attacks to be formed would he have to go gear 4th or just mix everything with haki now? Or are we going to witness more attacks like Red Hawk? Which are not his regular attacks with or without gears, but something even more "creative"on his behalf?

kkck
November 20, 2011, 12:31 AM
I am not sure I understand what you are talking about. I would think luffy right now is going for mixing everything with haki to improve it. Red hawk and the hardening are not gear related but rather haki related as far as we know (as they have been techniques within his normal gears) so I would think he intents on specializing his use of haki by combining it with his gears. I have my doubts about new gears at the moment lol. Only thing I could think of as far as new gears go is actually shrinking himself for whatever purpose (kinda like going to his side effect form of gear 3 at will). He is already accelerating his blood flow, inflating his bones so what else is there? It would be interesting to see him fill his bones with water instead of air too lol. His punches would be heavier although perhaps having water inside of him would weaken him significantly....

Josef K.
November 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
It was more about the evolution of his attacks, once in a while we see Luffy say something like this: "Oh I have a new attack!" or "I want to use this new technique I invented", so did he start off with Pistol, Bazooka, Rifle and stuff and just created attacks as they went on the journey? It feels like he has used up all his arsenal, with Giant Gattling being the height of his attacks in gear 3rd, though indeed we have yet to see other attacks mixed with haki, though these are his most powerful and he sued them against Hody, so I wonder what he has planned for stronger opponents and my guess was some stuff like Red Hawk.

Lord Rayleigh
November 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
In case you didn't notice, Luffy created a whole new series of attacks which are ONLY gear related. Before the time skip he used to level up his normal attacks with gears : the pistol became jet pistol and gigant pistol, the rifle became jet rifle and gigant rifle et caetera.

With the time skip training Luffy has invented new kind attacks, those which only work with gears. The first example shown in the manga was during the travel to Fishman Island when he used Elephant Gun against the Kraken. As you may have noticed back then, it was not called Gigant Elephant Gun but simply Elephant Gun. It's because Elephant Gun only works with Gear 3 : it is not an improved technique. The second one shown in the manga was during his fight against Hody : Red Hawk. It is definitely a technique which only works with Gear 2 activated since it's not called Jet Red Hawk and he is clearly using Gear 2 in the process.

So I think that Luffy has a lot of unknown techniques that he has yet to reveal. He even created new "classical attacks" - Snake. By the way I guess that Haki gave him a better control over his body and he was thus able to discover this new kind of techniques which only work when one of his gears is activated. For example, it is likely it is Haki which enables him to concentrate his air at the bottom of his arm to create Elephant Gun and to cock his Red Hawk.

Uriel
November 27, 2011, 12:51 PM
And we have yet to see the efficiency of those moves on land. Water drained most of its power so it's difficult to know how much Luffy improved and how many techniques He invented because we're reading a particular situation that doesn't apply in most of cases for future fights.

Still Luffy is a combat genius, so it's likely that he make up something new in middle of the battle :P

Mystic
December 31, 2011, 08:41 AM
It seems to me that training against all those animals while on the island, he seems to have integrated an animal theme to his attacks, didnt he use a snake attack against Hodi as well, so we have seen elephant, hawk, snake, and I'm sure there will be more in terms of those lines, and I've been trying to wrap my head around any other things he could potentially do in the future going against all the new world pirates.

bisha16
December 31, 2011, 10:30 AM
Luffy's best technique's have been gear 2-3 and haki but i hope to see something new which has nothing to do with gears or haki.He impressed everyone when he invented gear 2-3 so im hopping he is going to show us a complete new technique that will send him a new other level (maybe Bid Mom's level) so when they confront each-other he will be able to handle her.My idea is that I want to see his skills improve just like in enies lobby arc.And im sure we havent seen his entire technique arsenal and I think he is going to show us "his card under his sleeve" when he fight a strong opponent.

Ledoke
December 31, 2011, 12:02 PM
It seems to me that training against all those animals while on the island, he seems to have integrated an animal theme to his attacks, didnt he use a snake attack against Hodi as well, so we have seen elephant, hawk, snake, and I'm sure there will be more in terms of those lines, and I've been trying to wrap my head around any other things he could potentially do in the future going against all the new world pirates.
Redhawk is a name of an uber revolver, Elephant Gun is a type of gun/riffle used for hunting big animals and Snake Shot is a type of ammo used to hunt small animals(too bad Hodi wasn't finished by this one, it'd be very fitting ;p) - they're all upgraded versions of his basic attacks(pistol/riffle/bullet).
I don't know any more firearms named after animals except a Desert Eagle pistol(Croc would probably sue Luffy over that xD) so I think rest of his new attacks will follow his pre-timeskip naming pattern, that is, they will be pretty much random ^^

Mystic
December 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
Well that is correct, and it fits in with his firearm theme in Luffy's attacks. Take the Musket (firearms were often named after animals, and the word musket derived from the French word mousquette, which is a male sparrowhawk) There is the Colt 45, and the Desert Eagle like you mentioned, although if he does use that I'm sure it will have some sort of crocodile reference. I'm sure there are more things, and it would be nice to see if anyone else can mention them, since guns aren't exactly my strong suit.

RezzieThaRapper
January 01, 2012, 05:09 AM
RedHawk - Gear 2nd Based
Elephant Gun/Gatling - Gear 3rd Based
Snake Shot - Slithering Shigan

Buck Shot?? - Bell upgrade
Desert Eagle?? - Dessert Sparda rip off
Butterfly Knife?? - upgraded yari
LAR(ge) Grizzly?? - upgraded bazooka
King Cobra?? - Rifle Upgrade
Bird Shot?? - Storm Upgrade

I'm out...