PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Romance in HxH

ashher
December 12, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'd like to see a bit more of that. Togashi did a wonderful job with the king and the blind girl. I've often found the way he writes his characters is lacking 'heart'. But the king, palm and the blind girl were wonderful exceptions to this...one of the major reasons why i liked the ant arc. I'd like to see gon x alluka...and how killua would react to that :)

zelllogan
December 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
You're scaring me. When I see "romance" / gon x alluka / ...

I have a new avatar for you:

http://www.abstrait-concret.com/wp/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/pedobearseal.jpg

Sachsenhesse
December 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
aw pls not

the only romance i want to see is gons fist vs. hisokas face

Uriel
December 12, 2011, 09:11 PM
I think we can all agree that romance is something that ruins most of shounen.

mrsticky005
December 12, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm fine either way.

I think if Togashi does add in more romance he'll be able to write it well.

If Togashi doesn't add in romance it won't take away from the quality of the story.

Whether or not there should be romance should be up to whether or not
Togashi wants there to be romance. Probably the big reason why romance
sucks so much in shonen is because I doubt the shonen writers actually
wanted to write a romance but instead do so to keep readers (mostly girls) interested.

I mean half of deviant art's fan art section is either Naruto x Sakura/ Naruto x Hinata/ Sasuke x Sakura/ or Naruto x Sasuke. Mostly the last one.

Gon and Killua are just too young for romance.
Killua is too sheltered and Gon seems too innocent.
Even as Gon has dated before it's hard to picture
the "dates" being anymore than hand holding
and Aunt Mito standing by and keeping watch. :p

Of course there are 12 years old who are dating.
But most of the time it's more about being "cool"
than anything else.

mol
December 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm female but for HxH, I'd rather enjoy more bromance than romance. Some regular romance seems not to fit the "out-of-this-world" feeling of HxH (though I like the story of Meryem & Komugi => so far the only official pairing of HxH), please no romance for the main characters, unless something short and funny like Palm with Gon.

Tame
December 13, 2011, 06:28 AM
I don't want to see any typical romance in HxH; I've not read any shonen manga that's been enhanced by romance, and some that's suffered for it. (In fact, I'd say the only shonen manga that I've read that I can think of where the romance is done at all believably is Psyren.) Like mol says, HxH is all about the bromance.

The relationship between Komugi and Meryem was great because it was a subversion of all the usual romances found in media, and it was done fantastically. It also served as a believable reason for the change in the King (which in turn turned him into a great subversion of the DBZ-style super-powered, two-dimensional, ball-of-evil-type bad guy) and that change was a lot more complex and subtle than "The King falls in love and becomes less of a douche".

NoFreakingWay
December 13, 2011, 07:04 AM
With the few female characters in HxH the only romance I'm expecting to see is something that's not gonna be... straight. And I'm not in to those kinds of things.

The friendship thing going in this manga is one of the things that make this manga interesting for me, and I'd rather have more themes like that than romance, IMO.

There could've been something Machi had going for Kuroro but I think it's not really romance. So I wouldn't really bet on it.

The new arc could have introduced a lot more Females but the most decent "girl", physically is Alluka and "she's" probably not even a girl(Goddamit Cheadle, do you really look like an animal even without the getup?).

Gesicht
December 13, 2011, 08:28 AM
I think nope. In HxH we will just found Bromance.

ashher
December 13, 2011, 01:15 PM
Such a shame, everyone is so afraid of 'romance' like back in kiddy classes :) Come on, togashi proved that he can write excellent romanctic relationship like meryem and koumugi...i really would've liked to see how gon acts when he has his first crush(i remember tom sawyer's crushes...they were fun to read). At least kurapika should've a girlfriend...or his looks are gonna be wasted. About fitting the development of romance in hxh's usual narration...it shouldn't be that hard. Togashi takes as much as he needs to finish an arc...so its not like he can't work out the scope for such developments.

zelllogan
December 13, 2011, 01:45 PM
Romance between children shown to teenagers & young adults ... Hell yeah, I have a problem with that. Gon & Killua look like they are 9 years old

hachikurooo
December 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have no problems with romance but it seems the characters themselves aren't really concerned about it either. I wouldn't mind a backstory about Ging and Gon's mom or anything that hints on such relationships especially concerning adults. But regarding the main characters themselves, I don't know. Everyone's preoccupied with their goals and all that. I think Hunters are the kind of people who tend not to commit themselves to a marriage or a romantic relationship because of their jobs. Almost every (if not all) the adult Hunters we've met appear to be single.

Togashi's pretty ok when it comes to writing romance, I really liked Yusuke and Keiko together in YYH and while it was never completely confirmed, Mukuro and Hiei have a pretty intriguing relationship but most Hunter x Hunter characters are too absorbed with other things.

Reach
December 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
No thanks. Big-breasted women (not that I hate them, they're just so all over the place) seem to be the theme on western fiction, and about half of Japanese games/stories as well. HxH is a breath of fresh air.

Tame
December 13, 2011, 03:05 PM
No thanks. Big-breasted women (not that I hate them, they're just so all over the place) seem to be the theme on western fiction, and about half of Japanese games/stories as well. HxH is a breath of fresh air.

And afterall, big-breasted women is what romance is all about. ;)

THM Nindo
December 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
I think we can all agree that romance is something that ruins most of shounen.

Not when it's done properly.
Yes, most of the romance are bad because the author don't know how to do it.

A good romance is something that feel real.
Take Ed and Winry in FMA. That romance was perfect!

It was realistic and never took the plot too far from the story.
Actually, every romance in FMA was very well done.

mrsticky005
December 14, 2011, 01:18 AM
With the few female characters in HxH the only romance I'm expecting to see is something that's not gonna be... straight. And I'm not in to those kinds of things.

The friendship thing going in this manga is one of the things that make this manga interesting for me, and I'd rather have more themes like that than romance, IMO.

There could've been something Machi had going for Kuroro but I think it's not really romance. So I wouldn't really bet on it.

The new arc could have introduced a lot more Females but the most decent "girl", physically is Alluka and "she's" probably not even a girl(Goddamit Cheadle, do you really look like an animal even without the getup?).

Nah. The best looking women in this arc so far are Piyon and Clook.
Alluka is cute but in a puppy dog cute type way.

mol
December 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
At least kurapika should've a girlfriend...or his looks are gonna be wasted.

No please :-_- Someone like Leorio can have a girlfriend, not Kurapika please, he makes girls look ugly, not Gon and Killua too - they belong to each other

BlackListHunter
December 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
I thought yu yu hakusho was supposed to be a love manga (can't find the source tho)

mrsticky005
December 14, 2011, 08:56 PM
No please :-_- Someone like Leorio can have a girlfriend, not Kurapika please, he makes girls look ugly, not Gon and Killua too - they belong to each other

KurapikaxMelody FTW :)

The most confusing couple ever.

"Do you Kurapika take Melody to be you awfully--er sorry lawfully wedded hus---"

"Wife"

"Um I'm sorry?"

"Melody, my fiance would become my wife as she is a woman and not a man."

"I see. I'm terribly sorry for the mistake, ma'am."

Kurapika "..."

MattC302
December 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
I think Gon and Palm should go on a second date. They were a good couple.

Tame
December 15, 2011, 04:50 AM
I think Gon and Palm should go on a second date. They were a good couple.

She's 22. He's 13.

Salce
December 15, 2011, 02:00 PM

She's 22. He's 13.
It's not really a huge difference. I mean, it is, for a 13 years old kid. But in a few years, both will be adults.

mrsticky005
December 15, 2011, 03:49 PM
22 minus 13 is a 9 year difference.

When Gon is 18
Palm will be 27.

Salce
December 15, 2011, 07:24 PM
22 minus 13 is a 9 year difference.

When Gon is 18
Palm will be 27.
Yeah, we know how to subtract, thanks :P

I believe that 9 years isn't a huge difference.

shareme
December 15, 2011, 07:40 PM
A 9-year difference is not huge if the one who's younger is the girl.
But if it's the boy? Huh... That kind of relationship will not last.
Adult human males (even females) generally look for a younger flesh than a ahem, more mature one.

mrsticky005
December 16, 2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah, we know how to subtract, thanks :P

I believe that 9 years isn't a huge difference.

Welcome. :^_^

Ok, though I disagree. 9 years is a hella of a difference.
I mean a LOT can and does change in 9 years. Including people.
At 18 Gon would be probably starting college and all that jazz.
At 27 Palm would probably be looking to settle down or would
already be well into a career.

Though the difference may not be as much in the hunter world
where 12 year old kids are allowed to take dangerous hunter exams.

And also the older you get the less of a difference it seems for some reason.

Tame
December 17, 2011, 05:38 AM
Welcome. :^_^

Ok, though I disagree. 9 years is a hella of a difference.
I mean a LOT can and does change in 9 years. Including people.
At 18 Gon would be probably starting college and all that jazz.
At 27 Palm would probably be looking to settle down or would
already be well into a career.

Though the difference may not be as much in the hunter world
where 12 year old kids are allowed to take dangerous hunter exams.

And also the older you get the less of a difference it seems for some reason.

Sorry, this is kind of off-topic since it actually has nothing to do with relationships, but can you seriously see Gon going to college?! :blink

mrsticky005
December 20, 2011, 07:05 PM
Heh. Yeah Gon in college would be something else.

But really it was more about showing how a 18 year old and a 27 year old live very different lives. Even if Gon wasn't in college their lives would still be different.

ErosVp
December 22, 2011, 01:11 PM
If it is like that Gon should date Biscuit! She looks like she has his age anyway! XD

Or maybe Hisoka! hahahaha

Well... Romance really doesn't fit this manga, there are too few women...

Chrollo
December 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
Gon x Alluka
Hisoka x Machi
Maybe Palm x Knov
Kurapika x Neon(nah I don't think so :P)

ErosVp
December 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
Neon is the girl boss of kurapica right? And what about that ugly chick that is his partner, the one that uses music. She was cursed by a song, but she said she was pretty before right? Maybe if she removes the curse somehow...

mol
December 23, 2011, 01:41 AM
If it is like that Gon should date Biscuit! She looks like she has his age anyway! XD

Or maybe Hisoka! hahahaha

Well... Romance really doesn't fit this manga, there are too few women...

Biscuit actually suits Killua more than Gon; Gon's a weird kid anyway, maybe he don't mind Alluka is a boy biologically => Still, these "couples" won't happen I think.

Honestly, not from the fangirl view, I think Gon and Killua will end up being a heterosexual life partnership, maybe will raise the mini-Kaito together.

liductan
January 04, 2012, 02:09 PM
Please, lets keep gon and killua friends..This happens whenever two guys are very close in a story, people intend to put them together..I'm not afraid of romance, it just needs to fit in the plot, instead of most romance...Where it happens too fast, so the fan's emotions are not papable. from my perspective...We are still early into the story, we can have a hint some where down the line or in the future. The story's progression is not to far, to the point we can't have any romance. It's all up to the togashi, he does whatever he feel like, as of right now....We don't need any romance, if it does happen in the future..I will not stop reading, or I don't think the quality will change either.

shionoro
January 04, 2012, 03:24 PM
bet leorio has some chick already :p

thatguy3331
January 08, 2012, 01:51 AM
I'd like to see a bit more of that. Togashi did a wonderful job with the king and the blind girl. I've often found the way he writes his characters is lacking 'heart'. But the king, palm and the blind girl were wonderful exceptions to this...one of the major reasons why i liked the ant arc. I'd like to see gon x alluka...and how killua would react to that :)

Ok, I will admit gon x alluka is a intresting idea, but all in all I'd really perfer it it steered clear of romance, or if it does at least handles it better than the typical way most shounens or just other series in general does it. Not that I dislike it sometimes its funny but it dosn't suit HxH. If any of the main hero's did for whatever reason have romace issues it'd go like this: Gon and Killua will always be a case of unrequented, If leorio, HIS will be the love thats unrequented and Kurapika would probably be serious like the kind and komugi.

thinking about it its not impossible just unlikely. Plus just to trhow this in, as a way of saying he isn't going into it, he made the city of love chapter where it almost parodied alot of romance tropes in one quick swoop.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS CHIRST LORD GOD, NO, NO ABSOLUTLY NONE OF THAT GON X KILLUA SHIT!! JUST KEEP THEM AS FRIENDS!

Zvane
January 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
Well...I wouldn't mind some romance....as long as it's really subtle and HxH doesn't become a shoujo manga...

Now, for pairings...don't forget Hisoka, who wants to fuck Gon, Killua and Kuroro (I still can't get the image of him checking out both of their asses during the Greed Island Arc out of my head....)

I'm sorry to say that, because of the lack of females, there might be some non-straight couples...and while you may want to incinerate me for this, Gon and Killua are the most obvious....Killua being totally smitten and Gon just oblivious and might take it for a fact that they are in a relationship (as I write this, I really, really, really want to kill myself)
Also, I think Leorio wants to fuck Kurapica, but that's just my opinion

Please, don't kill me

Erza89
January 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Well...I wouldn't mind some romance....as long as it's really subtle and HxH doesn't become a shoujo manga...

Now, for pairings...don't forget Hisoka, who wants to fuck Gon, Killua and Kuroro (I still can't get the image of him checking out both of their asses during the Greed Island Arc out of my head....)

I'm sorry to say that, because of the lack of females, there might be some non-straight couples...and while you may want to incinerate me for this, Gon and Killua are the most obvious....Killua being totally smitten and Gon just oblivious and might take it for a fact that they are in a relationship (as I write this, I really, really, really want to kill myself)
Also, I think Leorio wants to fuck Kurapica, but that's just my opinion

Please, don't kill me

Hisoka is the creepiest! (Oh the mental image of him checking Gon and Killuas behinds, thank you very much for reminding me of that) but he seems perfect for Biscuit, I know she's A LOT older and in her real form she could make him her bit** so it's really disturbing... but hey that's the point! Hisoka is disturbing and Biscuit is perverted!! a match made in heaven.
Ok ok just kidding... I don't think there'll be romance, the manga doesn't need romance at all to be good and like it's already been mentioned... this manga is more about bromance and that's fine by me.
And yeah... Gon seems like the type who would just take the idea of Killua as his life partner for a given... and he's too simple and open so if Killua were to make a move on him I don't think Gon would reject him, but all of that when they grow up... I can't pair them up with anyone now it's too creepy.
And you might be right about Leorio, but all in all I think he's the one who has more chances of having a girlfriend.