PDA

View Full Version : What-If If you had the power to change one thing...

Miyagi
January 01, 2012, 01:10 PM
Many things have happened in Bleach, most of them were cool and exciting but it also has its moments which we wish would never have happened.

If you had the power to change one thing and make Bleach flow in a different direction, what would it be?

Instead of getting killed by Hisagi, I would like to see Tousen listen to his old friend Komamura, betray Aizen, trap him in his bankai and fought him using his mask. It would be a helluva fight. :D

Bromamura
August 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
^I second that, I'll also have Harribel join in and use her ultimate tech that was never shown. Ultimately I hope to never get to the whole hogyoku evolution and Dangai training stuff.

Tonix
August 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
I would have switched the order of the arcs around so it would go like this:

1)Slice of life arc
2)SS/ Rescue Rukia arc
3) Quincy war arc
4)HM/FKT/Deicide arcs

I think it would have made the story flow much better if SS had had to face an enemy right after Aizen & company defected to HM. It would have provided a good excuse for how Aizen's group found the time to raise an army and build a giant dome, and it would have allowed to story to actually end after Ichigo defeated Aizen and lost his Shinigami powers.

The Newbie.
August 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
Instead of getting killed by Hisagi, I would like to see Tousen listen to his old friend Komamura, betray Aizen, trap him in his bankai and fought him using his mask. It would be a helluva fight. :D

Terrible idea. The whole point of Tousen was show corruption and redemption. He got a close by shaping Hisagi and colliding with Komamura only to lose at the end, reinforcing their friendship. A big driving point was Tousen's delusion, hypocrisy and self righteousness. He betrayed the shinigami because he found them "wicked" and joined Aizen because his goal was similar to his own. Having Tousen change his mind just like that and betray Aizen would have ruined his character, which was solidified after each and every appearance.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

^I second that, I'll also have Harribel join in and use her ultimate tech that was never shown. Ultimately I hope to never get to the whole hogyoku evolution and Dangai training stuff.

Harribel would have been better as a second hollow like Nel to change Soul Society's perception of the natural order. Kind of like the novel did.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

I would have switched the order of the arcs around so it would go like this:

1)Slice of life arc
2)SS/ Rescue Rukia arc
3) Quincy war arc
4)HM/FKT/Deicide arcs

I think it would have made the story flow much better if SS had had to face an enemy right after Aizen & company defected to HM. It would have provided a good excuse for how Aizen's group found the time to raise an army and build a giant dome, and it would have allowed to story to actually end after Ichigo defeated Aizen and lost his Shinigami powers.

You would have to do some serious retconning of story and characterization for that. The point of SS/Aizen arcs were how SS evolved and changed thanks to Ichigo and other characters. Without those in that order, the Quincy don't have a real, story established reason to invade, and no real impact.

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

But enough replying to others. What I would like to see would be more slice of life chapters. Kind of like the earlier pre-Uryu chapters with Keigo, Tatsuki, Mizuiro, Isshin, Karin, Yuzu and such. There's an early chapter called "Rocking Future Seven" showing all of Ichigo's friends, because they were all supposed to have a bigger role, but that storyline was cancelled because of low ratings, back when Bleach wasn't even selling enough to appear in the charts. Such a shame, because those characters are all well developed and Kubo is best at character driven stories.

Bromamura
August 21, 2012, 06:28 AM
I don't care if Harribel changes SS's perception, if she does good for her. I just want to see her fight better.

Tame
August 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
I agree The Newbie. Pre-Soul Society was my favourite part of the manga, and The Rocking Future Seven is a chapter that stuck with me for a long time. I think there was more depth of character back then, and the pacing was much better in my opinion. It was also more colourful in my opinion and I think the composition was more dynamic (the art was rougher, but I preferred what Kubo was actually drawing). When I first read Bleach, I completely fell in love with the title pages - they were all so different to anything I'd seen before, all unique and visually interesting! In fact, I think they're something that really made me fall in love with manga even deeper than I was already.

I knew Bleach got really popular from the Soul Society arc onwards, but I didn't realise it was so low down in ratings before that arc began!

Don't get me wrong, from Soul Society onwards, I still really enjoy Bleach and there have been plenty of times since when it's made me be like "Woah, awesooooome!!", and there are plenty of Shinigami and Vizard characters that I think are totally cool, but from mid-Soul Society arc onwards, I haven't enjoyed the character development as much, mainly because there hasn't been enough of it for Ichigo's friends.

So yeah, enough whinging. What would I change? Well, to be pretty drastic, I'd say pretty much from Chad's defeat at Nnoitora's hands onwards. Up 'til then the manga was still awesome in my opinion; Chad and Ishida were back with new power-ups and it looked like they were going to play a significant role in the arc. Then Chad goes down and it turns into another arc where the "main" (and, to my mind, more interesting) characters don't get to win a single fight between them. Apart from Ichigo, who has overly-long fight after overly-long fight.

That, and the pacing, at least from Hueco Mundo onwards. Probably the pacing is my biggest criticism of Bleach; Ishida and Renji's fight against Szayel won't almost nowhere for several volumes (ie. months, real time), as did Hitsugaya vs Haribel. If more happened per chapter, then Kubo could a) get a lot more done and b) have arcs where the human characters get to play large roles without popularity dropping, because people would know that the arcs won't take as long.