PDA

View Full Version : Theory Will the number 3 have any sort of importance to the manga?

kkck
January 03, 2012, 11:27 PM
I have been wondering about this for a while. The number 3 appears quite often in many forms through the manga, some obvious and others not so obvious. In any case I wonder if it can become something related to the Ds or just a coincidence. To name a few of the trinities I mention:

Monster trio (Luffy, zoro, sanji)
World balance (world government, shichibukai, yonko)
Ancient weapons (poseidon, ploto, uranus)
3 neptune brothers
3 admirals
3 major marine fortresses (ennies lobby, impel down, marineford)
BB's flag has 3 skulls
3 is the number of swords zoro uses
Moria's living crewmembers (perona, dr hogback, absalon)
3 gears
3 boa sisters

Now, a few more which are either theories or maybe stretching it a little

Baroque works had 3 actual strong people (crocodile, das, mr 2)
CP9 had 3 warriors which exceeded the rest by quite a bit (lucci, kaku, jyabura)
Rogers crew: Gold roger, silver raileigh and bronze (what are the odds, specially considering oda said he was going to introduce one more pirate king former crewmember if I recall)
3 main WB commanders (marco, jozu, vista)

Wisshard
January 04, 2012, 08:02 PM
It's likely (especially in regards to Blackbeard's flag) because the number three is often associated with fate in many mythologies (e.g. the three Norse Goddesses of fate) and the importance of destiny (whether it's an ambition/dream you have set for yourself (like the Straw Hat Pirates) or belief that everything is inevitably predetermined (e.g. like the Blackbeard Pirates)) is an important theme in One Piece.

McNuss
January 04, 2012, 10:41 PM
I have been wondering about this for a while. The number 3 appears quite often in many forms through the manga, some obvious and others not so obvious. In any case I wonder if it can become something related to the Ds or just a coincidence. To name a few of the trinities I mention:

Monster trio (Luffy, zoro, sanji)
World balance (world government, shichibukai, yonko)
Ancient weapons (poseidon, ploto, uranus)
3 neptune brothers
3 admirals
3 major marine fortresses (ennies lobby, impel down, marineford)
BB's flag has 3 skulls
3 is the number of swords zoro uses
Moria's living crewmembers (perona, dr hogback, absalon)
3 gears
3 boa sistersYeah,Oda really likes the number 3 however:

Baroque works had 3 actual strong people (crocodile, das, mr 2)What about Robin? Miss Doublefinger was also very strong.

3 main WB commanders (marco, jozu, vista)I count four: Marco, Ace, Jozu and Vista.

But there are a lot more "3s" in the manga:

3 Brothers (Luffy, Ace, Sabo)
Mr. 3 (His hair is a three, too!)
3 Factions fighting on Skypia (Strawhats, Shandia, God's Soldiers)
3 vacant Shishibukai positions
3 Supernovae Captains at the human auction (Law, Kidd, Luffy)

But on the other Hand, you could just use any other number and make a list."3" is a very common motive, however.

kkck
January 04, 2012, 10:58 PM
Well, robin and doublefinger were merely crocodile and das's partners. Still, it does not seem like either of them would match up to crocodile, das or mr 3 IMO. I also would not put ace on the level with marco, jozu or vista. Ace was a lot younger and I would argue those 3 had more standing in the crew.

hoeru
April 13, 2013, 09:33 PM
Well, the number "3" has always been a part of One Piece... Such as when Luffy came out off the barrel in Alvida's base, he faced Heppoko, Peppoko, and Poppoko. Then he met Zoro who fights with 3 swords. On Nami's introduction, she first tricked three Buggy pirate members on sea and then later again was followed by another three Buggy pirates in Orange Town. And then Usopp's three little kid pirates...

Airgrimes
April 14, 2013, 05:55 AM
Good call on the thread kkck

3 main WB commanders (marco, jozu, vista)
Actually that was a Quartet as oppose to a Trio. There were 4 prior to Ace's capture.

What about Robin? Miss Doublefinger was also very strong.

At that time, Robin was strong in relation to the Strawhats, however Daz and Crocodile would have annihalated her.
Miss Doublefinger lost to Nami in Nami's FIRST One-on-One. Therefore she was just fodder.
She became a waitress now lol.
Baroque's work still had just 3 haha.

I don't think BlackBeard has 3 main forces in his crew however.

alelucas
May 31, 2013, 08:25 AM
I believe SEVEN is THE number.

Airgrimes
June 02, 2013, 11:23 AM
I believe SEVEN is THE number.
Care to tell us why lol?

alelucas
June 03, 2013, 08:15 AM
Care to tell us why lol?
Because of parallels to SEVEN SEAS.
Yonko ruling New World and Three Admirals ruling Paradise. Seven.
Shichibukai. Seven.
Rokushiki is trully 'Shichishiki'. Seven.
CP9 had 7 assassins.
Impel Down has Six Levels plus Level 5.5. Seven.
First Half of Luffy's Journey has Seven Sagas.
Luffy was a seven-year-old brat when met Shanks and ate Gomu Gomu no Mi.
:^_^