PDA

View Full Version : Theory Paradise to New World Parallelisms

raDar
February 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
I'm quite interested to how Oda will continue doing these (even though I really am not sure if he intends it in the first place or is doing it coincidentally) parallelisms between Paradise (for those who don't know, this is the first half of the Grand Line which started in the place where they met Laboon) and New World. Though I'm also considering the somewhat prologue of those two points which is East Blue/Arlong Park and Sabaody/Fishman Island, respectively.

So let's start. On Issue 39 2010 (Aug. 30) of WSJ, it was announced that Oda will have a 4-week hiatus marking the end of the first half of the series. When One Piece came back Issue 44 (Oct. 4), it had the Lead CP and cover of the mag... The spread Oda made in that issue was this:

http://i.imgur.com/U6onV.jpg

Looks familiar, eh? Yeah, it's exactly based on the very first color spread Oda made for the debut serialization of OP.

http://i.imgur.com/u622b.jpg

This was also done in both the covers of Volume 1 and 61 with the titles "Romance Dawn" and "Romance Dawn for the New World" respectively.
http://i.imgur.com/rZgqU.jpg

After that, I noticed some (a bit more subtle and not really direct) parallelisms in the story that I'll just point out without further elaboration (it's up to you to not really consider it if you like):

Luffy's departures:
http://i.imgur.com/eDxcH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NCcVV.jpg

Main villains before entering Paradise/New World happen to be a discriminate Fishmen who both has strong hatred towards humans.

When defeating this villains, Luffy was forced to destroy something important at the same time. The main tower of Arlong Park (http://www.mangareader.net/103-2200-16/one-piece/chapter-93.html) (where Nami's maps were) and the ancient arc Noah (http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/645/11) (which is very essential for FI's dream to be on the surface).

After this arc, they are finally advancing to the important points of their journey. Funny thing is, there happened to be a mountain whale(s) in both of their arrival.
http://www.mangareader.net/103-2209-4/one-piece/chapter-102.html
http://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/654/17

The first main boss they encountered in both points were through Den Den Mushi only and are members of formidable groups in the Grandline (Crocodile=Shichibukai, Big Mom=Yonkou).

So yeah, I might have skipped some (feel free to post). The reason for this thread is to compile this types of things that might happen as the story goes on. You could also post predictions like: When they reach Raftel (comparing to when they reached Sabaody), the SH will, instead of separating first, be facing a great war (parallel to the War of the Best) then be separated once again (this time, the disbandment of the crew which marks the end of the series). Though this might get out of hand so I need the mods help.:teehee

Kukriblades
February 04, 2012, 06:04 PM
Well I think it's pretty obvious that there will be another 2 or even more important deaths at NW's great war. Shanks, Ray, Kuma, Dragon, and/or one of SH's crews would be a likely candidate for it (though I'd hate the latter idea).

eefrit
February 04, 2012, 08:52 PM
So what your saying is, Luffy meeting this Dragon at Punk Hazard, could be a parallel of him meeting his father in Rouge Town? That works right?

Kukriblades
February 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
So what your saying is, Luffy meeting this Dragon at Punk Hazard, could be a parallel of him meeting his father in Rouge Town? That works right?
how could that be parallel? besides, it happened before he entered paradise, while luffy meeting dragon happened after he entered NW.

eefrit
February 05, 2012, 02:32 AM
how could that be parallel? besides, it happened before he entered paradise, while luffy meeting dragon happened after he entered NW.

I know, but I just figured he met his father after defeating a fishman and now he is meeting a real Dragon, after defeating a fishman. And if you want to get into the details, Smoker made his appearance in the chapters leading up to Luffy meeting his father, and although they haven't met presently Smoker has appeared in the same chapter that Luffy met this Dragon. Coincidence? Most likely, but it's late and I feel like being a conspiracy theorist before I go to bed.

UnknownMugiwara
February 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
- The color spread and the volume cover was obviously planned by Oda.
- The Fishmen was probably not, since it has been in OP in a long time. Even tho Oda plans way, way a head, I do not think it was planned that there would be fishmen before paradise/NW.
- The whales are most likely planned aswell.
- The "I'm going to be king of the pirates" is just something Luffy says all the time ;P
- And the Yonkou/Shichibukai, is probably planned for the story and not really for parallelisms with Paradise :)

k-dom
February 06, 2012, 03:32 PM

In this case the cover from East blue count even less.
I agree with the Dragon, I even thought the same thing. But the nicest one for me was the Laboon, it was a really nice way to make them reappear. Maybe we will see them in Raftel next time.

TheBlackLotus
February 06, 2012, 07:59 PM
Think like said before, stuff like the whales, the covers, etc were planned, it's definitely an Oda thing. The others might just be a bit more coincidence or for the story. Not sure we'll see any major plot points as references. In some ways i hope not, would make things too predictable which would make OP less interesting imo.

Uriel
February 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
There was a lot of things that was similar. I don't know by you, but the whirlpool+whale stuff remind me CLEARLY the Inverse Mountain. Not just the whale.

I don't think though there will be more, since I'm sure Oda is planning surprises for us all and don't want to be predictable.

Aikidoka
February 11, 2012, 11:45 PM
Not from Paradise, but since the King of Pirates panels (East Blue/Sabaody) were shown...this was something I noticed back during the FI arc:

Maybe it's just me, but I noticed a parallel between the last page and the panel where Zoro is shown for the very first time with his swords.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/BhlewosAQW/zoroParallel.png

Coincidence, or intentional imagery by Oda? To be fair, he is facing the opposite direction, and has different arm positions...
Granted, it's a bit of a stretch, but with Oda you never know.

Ledoke
February 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
Wasn't Hyouzo show attacking Zoros back before this panel? If so then it could be that Zoro blocked him like the marines and then turned around while uncrossing his hands to repel Hyouzos swords.

k-dom
February 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
I think the parallel with zoro was rather the frog and well ( with mihawk and hyouzou)

Uriel
February 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
The sleeping gas and the party aren't somewhat the same? :S

Bugzee
February 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
In this case the cover from East blue count even less.
I agree with the Dragon, I even thought the same thing. But the nicest one for me was the Laboon, it was a really nice way to make them reappear. Maybe we will see them in Raftel next time.

I think it would be a fitting way if something like that occurs. Maybe, in the run up towards Raftel or I think it would be better if they appear again while they're heading towards the final island.

You never know...the whales may lead the Sunny-Go to that legendary island. xDDDD~

raDar
February 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
Not really Paradise to NW but I just wanted to post this here simce I really find it interesting and cool, though I already stated this in the previous chapter thread...

http://i.imgur.com/WI7Eg.png

http://i.imgur.com/eHfRc.jpg

hoeru
February 22, 2012, 12:46 AM

If there was a parallel like that, I think it's more like:

* Luffy "met" his father in Loguetown who helped him escape from Smoker.
* Luffy met his father's best friend Ivankov in Impel Down who helped him escape from Magellan (who has a similar "just" character like "Smoker" IMHO).

Both are connected to Luffy's brother Sabo, too.

beck26
February 22, 2012, 01:44 AM
grandline/east blue

1. welcomed by whale
2. monkey d. dragon
3. smoker
4. strawhats captured / separated

new world

1. welcomed by whales
2. met a dragon
3. smoker
4. separated and caught two different teams.

AluminumTough
February 22, 2012, 08:12 PM
To me I don't think it's intentional but rather it is a product of the same characters living in the same world, with reoccurring characters clashing to make similar stories. However, it is very interesting to see Fishmen Arcs starting off two major points in the story. But when it boils down to it...it's just grasping at straws. Sure we started with a Fishmen Arc and the Straw Hats "saved" the towns people from the chaos caused by the fishmen pirates. Also the same happened from the New Fishmen Pirates. But this again is the product of hatred between fishmen and humans which is part of the story line. When you look closely there is nothing else that is really similar that doesn't happen in every or most arcs. Destroying something important happens in almost every arc, that's just the way Luffy and gang conduct themselves.

One the other hand, it would be interesting to see if we get new crew members in the same manor as before such as: rescuing Zoro versus rescuing a samurai or someone else on Punk Hazard. (which is something all the Straw Hats have in common Luffy saved them from something). So if we see someone that is tied up like Zoro and Luffy saves this person-I might speculate that we are getting a new crew member. But, I'm not going to be shocked if this does not play out.

Laif
March 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone :) i don't know if this is going to be a good thread to post this but, if not, please mods place it somewhere else..
So.. actually i'm re-reading One Piece (again xD) and i found something intresting. Remember when before Sky Piea arc Luffy went to the town to get back the gold binami took?? Well.. he came with some "extra".
http://www.mangareader.net/103-2342-3/one-piece/chapter-235.html , with Hercules.. and now let's compare this to Usopp's master who trained him in those 2 years. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2631-3/one-piece/chapter-524.html this time it's Heracles. Similarity? Coincidence? I Wonder :^_^

beck26
March 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
parallelisms in recruiment.

EAST BLUE ---- GRAND LINE

1. roronoa zoro --- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (3 katanas)
1. tony tony chopper ---- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (hiluluk's flag)

2. cat burglar nami ---- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (arlong pirates)
2. nico robin -------------- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (CP9)

****gaimon -------------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
****nefertari vivi ------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities

3. captain ussop ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
3. cyborg franky ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.

4. black leg sanji ----- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.
4. dead bones brook -- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.

hoeru
March 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Oh, it's not that easy. In the plainness of you parallels, you twist what actually happened.

1. roronoa zoro --- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (3 katanas)
1. tony tony chopper ---- luffy turned down but joined after luffy saves an important object of that person (hiluluk's flag)
Zoro didn't join because of the swords, but because Luffy made him believe that Luffy can become PK while Zoro becomes the best swordsman. That's much more of a motivation than "he brought Zoro's swords back".

And Luffy didn't only save Hiluluk's flag but also defeated Wapol and became Chopper's first friend after Hiluluk. Again, a different motivation.

2. cat burglar nami ---- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (arlong pirates)
2. nico robin -------------- joined for unknown motives, left the crew and rejoins after luffy saves him from an overpowering crew. (CP9)
Nami joined him for a partnership of convenience. That was clear from the beginning. Later she rejoined to fulfull her dream.

Luffy saved Robin already in Arabasta from certain death so she turned it the way that he owes her one for denying her wish for death - and before even that Robin saved Luffy in the desert of Rainbase where she already turned out to be interested in the Will of D. She was then appealed by the spirit of adventure (as Robin said to Zoro).

****gaimon -------------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
****nefertari vivi ------- asked by luffy to join but refused becoz of responsibilities
Gaimon stayed to be the Forest Guardian - and totally declined going with Luffy. Vivi stayed because she knew she can't leave her country at that time, but she also asked if the Straw Hats would take her with them when they would come back once again in the future. (Vivi is also counted as Nakama, Gaimon isn't)

3. captain ussop ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
3. cyborg franky ------ aided luffy in battle and asked to join afterwards.
Franky didn't ask to join the Straw Hats. He was more or less forced to by the Franky Family after the Marines put a bounty on his head.

Usopp wanted to leave home to become a great warrior of the sea without any force. He later rejoins after being the first to seriously argue with Luffy which results in separation from him.

4. black leg sanji ----- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.
4. dead bones brook -- invited by luffy, but cannot join because the character is tied up to that place, joined luffy in battle and asked luffy if they can join afterwards.

Actually, Brook did join Luffy right away when they met on the Ghost Ship. He only said he couldn't when they happen to approach Thriller Bark. Sanji did not want to join at all. He even drove Luffy to say that Sanji needs to ask him. Luffy on the other hand asked Brook a second time who willingly accepted.

hyper_megaman
March 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone :) i don't know if this is going to be a good thread to post this but, if not, please mods place it somewhere else..
So.. actually i'm re-reading One Piece (again xD) and i found something intresting. Remember when before Sky Piea arc Luffy went to the town to get back the gold binami took?? Well.. he came with some "extra".
http://www.mangareader.net/103-2342-3/one-piece/chapter-235.html , with Hercules.. and now let's compare this to Usopp's master who trained him in those 2 years. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2631-3/one-piece/chapter-524.html this time it's Heracles. Similarity? Coincidence? I Wonder :^_^

catching hercules beetles is a kids' pasttime in japan

they have a huge fascination with the design of the beetles, how its head looks like samurai armour (which might be based on the beetles in the first place)

it's like an american comic showing burgers twice, it's nothing much to read into, it's just something that's deeply ingrained in american culture and happens to appear in various forms time and again

beck26
March 22, 2012, 11:25 PM
Oh, it's not that easy. In the plainness of you parallels, you twist what actually happened.

Zoro didn't join because of the swords, but because Luffy made him believe that Luffy can become PK while Zoro becomes the best swordsman. That's much more of a motivation than "he brought Zoro's swords back".

And Luffy didn't only save Hiluluk's flag but also defeated Wapol and became Chopper's first friend after Hiluluk. Again, a different motivation.

Nami joined him for a partnership of convenience. That was clear from the beginning. Later she rejoined to fulfull her dream.

Luffy saved Robin already in Arabasta from certain death so she turned it the way that he owes her one for denying her wish for death - and before even that Robin saved Luffy in the desert of Rainbase where she already turned out to be interested in the Will of D. She was then appealed by the spirit of adventure (as Robin said to Zoro).

Gaimon stayed to be the Forest Guardian - and totally declined going with Luffy. Vivi stayed because she knew she can't leave her country at that time, but she also asked if the Straw Hats would take her with them when they would come back once again in the future. (Vivi is also counted as Nakama, Gaimon isn't)

Franky didn't ask to join the Straw Hats. He was more or less forced to by the Franky Family after the Marines put a bounty on his head.

Usopp wanted to leave home to become a great warrior of the sea without any force. He later rejoins after being the first to seriously argue with Luffy which results in separation from him.

Actually, Brook did join Luffy right away when they met on the Ghost Ship. He only said he couldn't when they happen to approach Thriller Bark. Sanji did not want to join at all. He even drove Luffy to say that Sanji needs to ask him. Luffy on the other hand asked Brook a second time who willingly accepted.

umm...im just talking about the pattern...you explained it in full detail...of course oda would mix the things here and there....my whole point is the pattern of recruiting...

hoeru
March 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
And all I am saying is, your view is much too plain - and please do not lose yourself into comparing too much too plain. You could even go much more out of any details by saying: Luffy is recruiting persons whose dreams are compatible to his own, so they can support each other. Or at a certain plot development at each arc, the Straw Hat Pirates split in two or three groups and have a battle on their own...

beck26
March 24, 2012, 01:07 AM
And all I am saying is, your view is much too plain - and please do not lose yourself into comparing too much too plain. You could even go much more out of any details by saying: Luffy is recruiting persons whose dreams are compatible to his own, so they can support each other. Or at a certain plot development at each arc, the Straw Hat Pirates split in two or three groups and have a battle on their own...

that's the point...the parallelisms are just too simple and plain...so the author can mix it up here and there...im not saying im entirely true or oda is really doing it or accidentally...i think its a genius work for an artist to insert parallelisms or easter eggs in his works...its a compliment to oda.

artistic parallelisms or easter eggs is like sending a message to the audience and leaving clues, or maybe i just like conspiracies...well, either way, i respect your opinion coz im just throwing theories anyways.

Laif
March 24, 2012, 06:05 AM
@hyper_megaman

I didn't know that. Thank you for that beetle info:)
But i think it was still worth mentioning;)